User Reviews for Pentasa

5.6

Summary of Pentasa reviews 7.8 57 reviews

Reviews for Pentasa

Regaining hope · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I'm 24 years old and my Crohn's is continuously been getting worse. Every year I look more white and more like a skeleton. When I ate food, it went through me within an hour. I used the bathroom every time I ate. Been dizzy with no energy. I started taking pantasa 2 months ago. Have never felt dizzy since, the colors coming back to my skin. Ive gained a little bit of weight, and I only use the bathroom once a day. I haven't been taking the drug very long but so far it seems to be my life saver!"

Bud · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am 70. I was diagnosed with Crohns disease three years ago after I had severe rectal bleeding for the third time in three months. I was put on Prednisone for four weeks then 6-MP. A week later I ended up in the ER. It took the hospital six days to find out what was wrong with me but finally diagnosed sepsis. The 6-MP was replaced with Budesonide for a month then I began taking two Pentasa pills four times a day. The Pentasa seems to be working perfectly. I have a few minor side effects but some or all may come from by heart medicines."

Mack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Hi, I’m 19 and turning 20. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s last March and was taking Pentasa, and it works great, but when I switched to United Healthcare, they wouldn’t cover it. They then prescribed me Apriso. If your Crohn’s is specific to your small intestine and not your colon, please don’t take Apriso. Apriso is meant to target your colon. I went back to the hospital for the third time because of it, so it was decided that I should go back onto Pentasa. It really works for those who aren’t sure about it. It really does. I was in severe pain for months until Pentasa. It’s kept the pain away and let me get back to a normal diet. For those who were on Pentasa and were forced to change medication due to insurance, you can dispute to your insurance that you need it. It took 2 months to do it, for me, but it worked out. My insurance now will cover it. Good luck to those with Crohn’s and/or are having trouble finding medication or can’t take Pentasa, anymore."

Steve · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis "I began taking Pentasa in 1986 when it was still an experimental drug. I have taken over 150,000 250mg capsules! My UC has been in remission for over 25 years now. I still take six 250 mg capsules daily. For me, Pentasa has been a miracle drug, as I wasn't too far from death in the early 1980's. I just wish it was available as a generic. I am now on Medicare, and the prescription part D plans don't pay well. It will cost me hundreds per month."

OVER IT · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "I've been taking Pentasa tablets for about 3 weeks- I take two 500mg tablets, 3 times a day. During the 3rd week, diarrhea set in. So far I've gone through 7 straight days of diarrhea. I'll be seeing my doctor next week."

Scorch · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2018

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am 65 years old and have had crohns since I was 19. I have tried different meds but over the last 20 years have been very happy with 2 , 500 mg of Pentasa daily. It keeps me out of hospital and maintains my condition to the point I can live with it. However now that I am on medicare and have lost my drug coverage the cost has gone from $400 for a 3 month supply to $1500 for same 3 month supply. I ask my doctor about trying another drug, it calls for 9, 750 mg pills a day so here goes wish me luck."

A · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2018

For Ulcerative Proctitis "Was prescribed the Salofalk suppositories first which worked a charm, but then the pharmacy ran out so I’ve been using Pentasa (same dosage) and they don’t seem to be working much at all."

Wewillsurvive · Taken for 10 years or more August 27, 2018

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am unable to purchase my pentasa 500 Mg that I have been taking affordably for over 30 years. The Affordable Health Care Act we have today is very misleading. The price went from $300.00 for 90 day to $1,556.00 for the same. Please Americans are suffering without their meds!!!!"

Zonar May 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis "Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 25 yrs ago and they said I had to have a bag which I refused. Then said you have to go on steroids which I also refused , then I gave up smoking ! Wow 4 months later UC kicked in with a vengeance ended up losing a half glass of blood can honestly say the toilet was my best friend for 4 months ! I plucked up the courage to go to the hospital had a colonoscopy was put on Pentasa 4 tabs a day - bearing in mind I hadn't taken any tablets except Paracetamol occasionally, I put on too much weight which I didn't like that ! So it was decided that I cut down to 2 tabs a day, anyway still didn't feel right so I went to the chemist and showed my belly he gave me water tabs said take 1 a day so off I went next morning I couldn't believe it I had a half solid stool ! I thought that's odd ! Now for 2 weeks I'm doing great 1 Pentasa tab and 1 water tablet and my weight is levelling off and my stools are normal ! My experience maybe not good for everybody !"

Juvy paulite November 20, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I'm a Filipina 44 years old and was diagnosed of crohn's in 2014. I've been taking pentasa tabs and suppository as well. My first 6 months was four pentasa 500mg tablets twice a day and 1 suppository before bedtime. There was an improvement I had less diarhea and crampness of stomach. I maintained taking pentasa for 2 years and reduced the dosage until I took two 500mg pentasa a day and 1 suppository. Since I feel better. I decided to stop taking med. Now I'm 3 years with out taking any medicine and starting again with diarrhea with a bloody stool. Maybe I need to start back on pentasa again.."

May13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have been taking 4 x Pentasa 500mg twice daily since I was diagnosed with Crohn's in June this year. I haven't noticed any side effects but my stomach cramping, bloating, gas and just general pain has dramatically decreased so I think it is helping! Yay. My specialist has advised that if my symptoms don't totally subside on this medication I've to try a steroid so hopefully it continues to work for me. Thankfully I'm in Scotland as well so I don't need to pay for the prescription."

Khaled mousa September 17, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Works fine for me after 1 month using 3 gm daily but side effect was bad . Back and muscle pain. I can't move from pain."

Anonymous July 10, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 29... but the doctors thought I had it before then but I was pregnant and it laid dormant for about a year. My intestines burst one year ago and I had to have bowel resection...20 inches and my appendix. After all that, they put me on steroids and pentasa two 500mg, 3 times a day. At first I did ok with it but I'm horrible at taking medicine so I started decreasing the amount that I took. Doctor is not thrilled of course but now that I haven't taken it for a while, I feel no different than when I'm on it. I have diarrhea anytime I eat and occasional gas with pain but that's it... I'm lucky I know and still not sure if I'm making the right choice but meds are $70/mo"

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Pauma May 2, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "It has been great. Works a treat."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

JMacBerPI · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 5, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

Buzzberm · Taken for 10 years or more November 22, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Beckidel October 28, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "When my UC symptoms are flaring up a lot it does nothing. When I'm on it after a flare up it still does nothing and I still flare up."

VitaminDdeficient · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis "Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!"

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis "I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!"

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

colten970 · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

Amanda lynn April 2, 2016

For Ulcerative Proctitis "I've been using pentasa 2 times a day a total of 4 pills it definitely helps! Sometimes I get headaches and feel sick sometimes and occasionally get pain and for some reason ever since I started taking them I get these weird skin patches"