User Reviews for Pentasa

Learn more about Pentasa.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 1 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis, Active 3 reviews 71 medications

7.4
Summary of Pentasa reviews 45 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Pentasa

For Ulcerative Colitis "Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!"

VitaminDdeficient (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis "I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!"

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

colten970 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

For Ulcerative Proctitis "I've been using pentasa 2 times a day a total of 4 pills it definitely helps! Sometimes I get headaches and feel sick sometimes and occasionally get pain and for some reason ever since I started taking them I get these weird skin patches"

Amanda lynn April 2, 2016

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects."

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I've been on pentasa for 3 years. I've had very bad acne and losing a lot of hair."

Raniya November 13, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication."

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis "Newly diagnosed, but this has really helped me feel normal again. So far so good. I do struggle with the amount of pills needed though - right now I'm taking 4 in the morning and 4 at night."

susan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago, and I am 15 years old. I take 400mg of Pentasa 3x daily along with other pills to stop inflammation. So far it's been working great. I still get abdominal pain occasionally which is a lot better than it used to be."

Hal. (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease "This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me."

Psych11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Pentasa has changed my life totally. Was going to toilet up to 10 times a day until I was prescribed this. Now I've got my freedom back. Brilliant! No side effects worth worrying about. Take 2 x 500mg slow release tablets twice a day."

Busylizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "The only reason I gave Pentasa a "9" rating instead of a "10" is due to my having to remember to take 8 capsules a day. This medication has allowed me to live a normal life again...no more excruciating gut pain & no more daily diarrhea. I can actually eat at restaurants now, without worrying when the pain & diarrhea will hit me. I have had no side effects from Pentasa. It has given my life back to me."

a.jackie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Within one month of starting on Pentasa all my Crohn's symptoms have been completely in remission and have remained so going on 5 years now."

TJ003 April 18, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Works well for me."

dippy di March 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "I had surgery removing 6" of my small intestines. In Dec. 2013 was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I have been taking Pentasa for about 3 months, since Jan. 2014. It has really helped me but I am losing handfuls of hair every day. I am also having dizzy spells. The hardest side effect to deal with is, every time I have a bowel movement, I have terrible itching inside my rectum. Otherwise I haven't noticed any other side effects yet."

sewing (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month."

Hotmomma1 January 28, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Significantly reduces my Crohn's symptoms."

dalq January 12, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "I had Crohn's with a resection 30 years ago and have been mostly in remission since. Have recently had a bad flare and narrowing at the anastomosis and need to be on medication, but haven't found one that I can handle. Asacol gave me such serious body aching and fatigue that I could not function. Pentasa immediately gave me heart palpitations and arrhythmias so I had to discontinue it."

Crohn7 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "I've had Cronhs since 2006. In 2011 I was put on Pentasa. It works if you take it as prescribed. I do admit I don't take my medications like I'm supposed to, but it does work."

mvillarreal1999 June 20, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups"

J. Mccartney June 19, 2013

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection."

Fionafire71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2013