User Reviews for Pentasa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Pentasa.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Ulcerative Colitis, Active
6.3

Summary of Pentasa reviews 8.1 56 reviews

Reviews for Pentasa

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I'm a Filipina 44 years old and was diagnosed of crohn's in 2014. I've been taking pentasa tabs and suppository as well. My first 6 months was four pentasa 500mg tablets twice a day and 1 suppository before bedtime. There was an improvement I had less diarhea and crampness of stomach. I maintained taking pentasa for 2 years and reduced the dosage until I took two 500mg pentasa a day and 1 suppository. Since I feel better. I decided to stop taking med. Now I'm 3 years with out taking any medicine and starting again with diarrhea with a bloody stool. Maybe I need to start back on pentasa again.."

Juvy paulite November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have been taking 4 x Pentasa 500mg twice daily since I was diagnosed with Crohn's in June this year. I haven't noticed any side effects but my stomach cramping, bloating, gas and just general pain has dramatically decreased so I think it is helping! Yay. My specialist has advised that if my symptoms don't totally subside on this medication I've to try a steroid so hopefully it continues to work for me. Thankfully I'm in Scotland as well so I don't need to pay for the prescription."

May13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Works fine for me after 1 month using 3 gm daily but side effect was bad . Back and muscle pain. I can't move from pain."

Khaled mousa September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 29... but the doctors thought I had it before then but I was pregnant and it laid dormant for about a year. My intestines burst one year ago and I had to have bowel resection...20 inches and my appendix. After all that, they put me on steroids and pentasa two 500mg, 3 times a day. At first I did ok with it but I'm horrible at taking medicine so I started decreasing the amount that I took. Doctor is not thrilled of course but now that I haven't taken it for a while, I feel no different than when I'm on it. I have diarrhea anytime I eat and occasional gas with pain but that's it... I'm lucky I know and still not sure if I'm making the right choice but meds are $70/mo"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "It has been great. Works a treat."

Pauma May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

JMacBerPI (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Buzzberm (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "When my UC symptoms are flaring up a lot it does nothing. When I'm on it after a flare up it still does nothing and I still flare up."

Beckidel October 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!"

VitaminDdeficient (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!"

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

colten970 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Proctitis "I've been using pentasa 2 times a day a total of 4 pills it definitely helps! Sometimes I get headaches and feel sick sometimes and occasionally get pain and for some reason ever since I started taking them I get these weird skin patches"

Amanda lynn April 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects."

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I've been on pentasa for 3 years. I've had very bad acne and losing a lot of hair."

Raniya November 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication."

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "Newly diagnosed, but this has really helped me feel normal again. So far so good. I do struggle with the amount of pills needed though - right now I'm taking 4 in the morning and 4 at night."

susan k (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago, and I am 15 years old. I take 400mg of Pentasa 3x daily along with other pills to stop inflammation. So far it's been working great. I still get abdominal pain occasionally which is a lot better than it used to be."

Hal. (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease "This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me."

Psych11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015