User Reviews for Pentasa to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Pentasa has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance. 78% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Pentasa Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Pentasa

KOdie · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

“Pentasa gave me diarrhea within 24 hours of using it. Stopped it, returns to normal and tried it again to make sure. Diarrhea returned.”

Trish · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2020

“Pentasa for Crohn's I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2001. I have been taking Pentasa for over ten years and I find it works well. I was taking Asacol, but I found them hard to swallow. I could not swallow Pentasa either and dissolving in my throat was a real problem, so a few years ago I started dissolving them in water and adding yogurt or jam. Amazingly, it did the trick. I haven't had any problems with my Crohn's for many years.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2020

“Hi, I'm a 51 year old Male from Scotland and was diagnosed with Crohn's at 30 . I take 1 sachet of pentasa in the morning and it has been keeping everything at bay. I can have a pint or 2 and can eat what I like with no effects. I can suffer cramps in my back passage through the night which lasts about 15-30 mins, every 2/3 months. Also losing my hair and on blood pressure tablets . This is side effects to Pentasa.”

Regaining hope · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

“I'm 24 years old and my Crohn's is continuously been getting worse. Every year I look more white and more like a skeleton. When I ate food, it went through me within an hour. I used the bathroom every time I ate. Been dizzy with no energy. I started taking pantasa 2 months ago. Have never felt dizzy since, the colors coming back to my skin. Ive gained a little bit of weight, and I only use the bathroom once a day. I haven't been taking the drug very long but so far it seems to be my life saver!”

Acem · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2019

“I was diagnosed in 1983 with Crohn’s at age 19. That triggered a “preexisting condition” which led to me being uninsured for 30 yrs. As my disease progressed it felt like I was going thru a colonoscopy prep every day of my life. Bloody diarrhea constantly so much I had to stop working. I started on Pentasa about a month ago and for the 1st time in 30 yrs have had solid BMs and no bleeding. It’s like a miracle drug for me. Dr wants me to take it as a suppository at night along with 500 mg capsules 3x/day. The capsules cost $250/m copay ($2,500 reg price) but medicare won’t cover the suppositories which are $9,000! Who can afford that? The main side effect of this drug, for me, is bankruptcy. Other than that it works great.”

Mack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2019

“Hi, I’m 19 and turning 20. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s last March and was taking Pentasa, and it works great, but when I switched to United Healthcare, they wouldn’t cover it. They then prescribed me Apriso. If your Crohn’s is specific to your small intestine and not your colon, please don’t take Apriso. Apriso is meant to target your colon. I went back to the hospital for the third time because of it, so it was decided that I should go back onto Pentasa. It really works for those who aren’t sure about it. It really does. I was in severe pain for months until Pentasa. It’s kept the pain away and let me get back to a normal diet. For those who were on Pentasa and were forced to change medication due to insurance, you can dispute to your insurance that you need it. It took 2 months to do it, for me, but it worked out. My insurance now will cover it. Good luck to those with Crohn’s and/or are having trouble finding medication or can’t take Pentasa, anymore.”

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

“This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects.”

happycamper110362 · Taken for 10 years or more December 5, 2012

“Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible.”

colten970 · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2016

“I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss.”

J. Mccartney June 19, 2013

“Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups”

mareyj January 20, 2015

“I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa.”

Wewillsurvive · Taken for 10 years or more August 27, 2018

“I am unable to purchase my pentasa 500 Mg that I have been taking affordably for over 30 years. The Affordable Health Care Act we have today is very misleading. The price went from $300.00 for 90 day to $1,556.00 for the same. Please Americans are suffering without their meds!!!!”

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

“I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably.”

Hotmomma1 January 28, 2014

“I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month.”

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

“Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free.”

Fionafire71 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 12, 2013

“I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection.”

Anonymous November 28, 2010

“Pentasa is the only drug I take and it works great! Never have had any side affects. I was in horrible pain from the cramping until I started taking it over a year ago. I am very pleased with this medicine.”

TikiTorch February 1, 2013

“I've just started pentasa and so far so good I think! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 32 was on Asacol for most of that time but my doctor felt it was no longer working the way it needed to! I ended up in the hospital for 2 days due to severe dehydration 2 weeks ago! I had also lost 30lbs in the last 2 months. I have actually been able to eat the last couple of days and I'm not feeling the pain from eating!”

Bud · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

“I am 70. I was diagnosed with Crohns disease three years ago after I had severe rectal bleeding for the third time in three months. I was put on Prednisone for four weeks then 6-MP. A week later I ended up in the ER. It took the hospital six days to find out what was wrong with me but finally diagnosed sepsis. The 6-MP was replaced with Budesonide for a month then I began taking two Pentasa pills four times a day. The Pentasa seems to be working perfectly. I have a few minor side effects but some or all may come from by heart medicines.”

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

“I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication.”

May13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2017

“I have been taking 4 x Pentasa 500mg twice daily since I was diagnosed with Crohn's in June this year. I haven't noticed any side effects but my stomach cramping, bloating, gas and just general pain has dramatically decreased so I think it is helping! Yay. My specialist has advised that if my symptoms don't totally subside on this medication I've to try a steroid so hopefully it continues to work for me. Thankfully I'm in Scotland as well so I don't need to pay for the prescription.”

Anonymous December 26, 2011

“I'm a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2011. I had a bowel resection at the end of September due to the severity of my illness. I've been taking Pentasa for about 3 months now and feel good, but my hair has been falling out like crazy. I read a normal person loses 50-100 strands a day, I'm losing probably triple that. It's really depressing, I'm switching to another medicine to see if that helps with the hair loss. Other than that I haven't had any side affects. Good luck!”

JMacBerPI · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 5, 2017

“I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous.”

remco54 February 17, 2009

“My Crohn's disease diagnosis followed a routine colonoscopy at age 54. I had unexplained bouts with diarrhea but never thought much of it. Pentasa reduced the frequency from about every three weeks to about every six-eight weeks, and appears to have reduced the inflammation. No obvious side effects, seems to be helping.”

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

“This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ...”

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

“I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way.”

Anonymous March 19, 2011

“I have had Crohns disease for many years and have used many medications. I started using Pentasa in November and did very well until the last month, when I started having chest pains, heart palpitations. I am now off all medications, but continue to feel tired and weak. The past two years I have had reactions to all of the medications we have tried.”

Anonymous January 30, 2012

“I was diagnosed in 1990 and for most of the time since, I have been on Pentasa. The only side effects I have had are: 1) slight increase in hair loss - I added extra Folic Acid to my vitamins and the hair loss greatly reduced. 2) I do not have confirmation, but I believe I react to the salicylates -I get a rush of burning red face after I take the medicines and after certain foods. All in all, these are pretty innocuous side effects compared to other options I was given. Thankfully I can stay well maintained on the Pentasa. Just wish it helped with fistulas too!”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease, Maintenance