User Reviews for Pentasa

Learn more about Pentasa.

Pentasa Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Pentasa to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

"Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 29... but the doctors thought I had it before then but I was pregnant and it laid dormant for about a year. My intestines burst one year ago and I had to have bowel resection...20 inches and my appendix. After all that, they put me on steroids and pentasa two 500mg, 3 times a day. At first I did ok with it but I'm horrible at taking medicine so I started decreasing the amount that I took. Doctor is not thrilled of course but now that I haven't taken it for a while, I feel no different than when I'm on it. I have diarrhea anytime I eat and occasional gas with pain but that's it... I'm lucky I know and still not sure if I'm making the right choice but meds are $70/mo"

Anonymous July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Pentasa for several years. I remember vividly having to go to the bathroom several times a day. I have to go just once a day, maybe once every other day since taking Pentasa. My dosage is two 500 mg capsules four times a day. The only side effect I have experienced is passing gas considerably."

Mark Kratovil May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has been great. Works a treat."

Pauma May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Pentasa since 10 years and has relieved all cramps and distentions. I'm able to lead my life comfortably now. Only recently I have developed rashes all over and want to know in case any one else facing same way."

Ritz Shar April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Pentasa much in the way people take Rolaids. As soon as I feel like my intestines are reacting poorly I will take 2 pentasa.500mg and my stomach calms down within 10 minutes. I have no idea why it works for me, a Crohns patient for 10 years in this way. I do not ever take it as a preventative medicine. As a topical way to calm intestine discomfort, it just seems to be miraculous."

JMacBerPI (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Pentasa for 19 years but every time I had a colonoscopy the crohn's was progressing. I finally ended in the hospital with a severe inflammation. I was told by 2 GI docs that the Pentasa was probably not working but back in 1997, except for 6mp they really had no other alternative. 2 months ago I switched to Humira. Many more side effects than Pentasa however."

Buzzberm (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi I'm a 47 year old male and have had crohn's now for 17 years. I've been taking one sachet of pentasa in the morning after breakfast. I realise I'm pretty lucky as I lead a normal life, enjoying a pint or to with a curry etc. My only issue from time to time is painful cramps from my back passage, this happens during the night and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour, this happens maybe once every 2 months. I have not had any surgery so I'm very greatful for pentasa as it seams to keep my Crohn's at bay. I from Scotland and get my medication prescription free."

Gordon Stirling November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug PENTASA is the worst drug that I have ever taken, I had sever vomiting at least over 20 times in the space of 3 to4 hrs and sever diarrheoa which was even worse this occurred every 20 minutes or less sometimes but NO bloody that I was aware of.....So people be warned this drug is CRAP IT really is ..."

Gazza Gazza May 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed with crohns, having painful cramps, bloody stool, and diarrhea. My 2nd day being on Pentasa I ate Taco Bell (which most people with crohns will tell you, almost kills you haha!) I had absolutely no cramps or diarrhea!!! I'm on week 2 taking 500mg 4 times a day and I'm still feeling great! No cramps what so ever! The only symptoms I've noticed was slight chest tightness the first couple of days, slight weight loss, increased appetite, and a little bit of my hair falling out. I started taking folic acid to help with the hair loss."

colten970 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is the best thing that ever could happened for me .I'm able to eat without it running back out the next 10 min. I have gained weight now I'm worry about gaining to much weight from all the eating I do. I should have started taking it last year but I was worried about the side effects. But no side effects."

MissT2016 December 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on pentasa for 3 years. I've had very bad acne and losing a lot of hair."

Raniya November 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have started the Pentasa. It has given me the diarrhea and some stomach cramps when taking it. I have to see if after taking it for a week how it will do with the Crohn's or see about getting off of it. I am also getting cramps in the stomach area when taking this medication."

walkingtall84 October 27, 2015

"works great"

Susieq44094 June 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My main symptoms were diarrhea and bloody mucous stools. Once on pentasa 4g a day the symptoms had stopped. Until a month ago where they began along with a lot of wind. Was using suppositories as well initially 1 then 2 per day. I've stopped taking all medication till I see my specialist so far symptoms are on worse- better if anything no longer running to toilet all day. I've had collitis for less then a year I'm 35"

belly18 March 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns at age 50. I have taken Pentasa for 16 years. I took 4x250mg three times daily and experienced chest pains. I cut it to 3x250x3times daily and that took care of the chest pains. I am a fairly petite woman so that could be a factor. I have had flare-ups but generally have done great. I tired cutting back myself and each time had severe pain, vomiting etc. I now know not to cut back. I hope to continue on Pentasa."

mareyj January 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed in 2013 with Crohns. Pentasa has relieved my symptoms greatly. I take 500 mg 4 times a day. I find it works better for me when I take it with food. My only side effect is night quivers. Other than this, Pentasa works wonders. It's well worth my $55 copayment each month."

Hotmomma1 January 28, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed about 1 year after an emergency surgery for a mass in my colon due to a build up of scar tissue from inflammation. After a couple months of 500mg 3X a day frequency of flare ups were greatly reduced. Only had 2 noticeable symptoms, one of weight gain and an an elevated liver function test. My dosage was reduced to 2X a day and liver function is normal but weight gain is still issue. Diet and STRESS level seems to be the most important factor in controlling flare ups"

J. Mccartney June 19, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 1000 mg 2x day along with Humira every two weeks. The combination works very well for me and I'm healthier than I've been in years. The only significant side-effect for me has been anxiety. I am told it is not a side effect but I've been off and on Pentasa over the years and the 3 years stretch where I was off completely, my anxiety went away entirely. It wasn't until I went back on Pentasa that I made the connection."

Fionafire71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just started pentasa and so far so good I think! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 32 was on Asacol for most of that time but my doctor felt it was no longer working the way it needed to! I ended up in the hospital for 2 days due to severe dehydration 2 weeks ago! I had also lost 30lbs in the last 2 months. I have actually been able to eat the last couple of days and I'm not feeling the pain from eating!"

TikiTorch February 1, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Pentasa 2 capsules 2x day first week feel amazing to not have all day tummy pain or cramping. Hope I have found something that will continue to work for me."

mn crohnie (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Totally awesome. I was diagnosed over 25 yrs ago with Crohns. I take 1000mg 3 times a day of Pentasa and 50mgs of mercaptopurine once a day and I have only had 2 flare ups. With proper diet exercise and medications taken as directed daily on a regular schedule remission and normal life is possible."

happycamper110362 (taken for 10 years or more) December 5, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed in 1990 and for most of the time since, I have been on Pentasa. The only side effects I have had are: 1) slight increase in hair loss - I added extra Folic Acid to my vitamins and the hair loss greatly reduced. 2) I do not have confirmation, but I believe I react to the salicylates -I get a rush of burning red face after I take the medicines and after certain foods. All in all, these are pretty innocuous side effects compared to other options I was given. Thankfully I can stay well maintained on the Pentasa. Just wish it helped with fistulas too!"

Anonymous January 30, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2011. I had a bowel resection at the end of September due to the severity of my illness. I've been taking Pentasa for about 3 months now and feel good, but my hair has been falling out like crazy. I read a normal person loses 50-100 strands a day, I'm losing probably triple that. It's really depressing, I'm switching to another medicine to see if that helps with the hair loss. Other than that I haven't had any side affects. Good luck!"

Anonymous December 26, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 2 months ago. Pentasa has helped to relieve the very severe stomach cramping I was experiencing before my diagnosis. This is the first treatment my doctor has given me but after a month of taking 4-250mg capsules 4 times a day (in combination with Budesonide 9m) I finally feel comfortable after eating. I'm not noticing any side effects yet. Maybe I'm lucky though after reading some of these other reviews. I wish I didn't have to take 16 of them each day, but to be able to stand up after a meal is wonderful for someone who used to keel over screaming and crying with a rock hard stomach after eating!"

Anonymous November 2, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had Crohns disease for many years and have used many medications. I started using Pentasa in November and did very well until the last month, when I started having chest pains, heart palpitations. I am now off all medications, but continue to feel tired and weak. The past two years I have had reactions to all of the medications we have tried."

Anonymous March 19, 2011