User Reviews for Lialda

Lialda has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 93 ratings on Drugs.com. 62% of those users who reviewed Lialda reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Ulcerative Proctitis   10.0
Ulcerative Colitis   7.1
Ulcerative Colitis, Active   6.9
Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance   6.8
Inflammatory Bowel Disease   4.0
Summary of Lialda reviews 7.0 93 reviews

Reviews for Lialda

LuckyGirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I started taking Lialda in April 2015, 4 tablets a day for my ulcerative colitis. After being sick for many months and in and out of the emergency room I was ready for something that would help me get my life back. I was having diarrhea with blood multiple times a day along with abdominal pain and cramps and down to 106 pounds. Lialda started working almost instantly for me. Within a week I was no longer having any loose stools, blood, and my pain level was down 80%. I had some side effects such as headaches, chills, fatigue, and dizziness; a small price to pay for how much Lialda helped me and saved my life. I was able to slowly decrease my dose to 2 tablets a day, then 1, and now none. I gained weight and started to feel more like myself again. For me personally it was a great experience that was worth any side effects that eventually went away after my body was used to the medication. I would definitely recommend Lialda, maybe it can help you like it helped me.”

MoreKnowledgableNow · Taken for 10 years or more November 27, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Went through a few frightening episodes of what I thought was lots of blood in urine. Had a ridiculously long and frightful work-up (cultures, cystoscopy with dye under general anesthesia) to rule out infection and cancer. Nothing was ever found. Happened again 2 years later. This time, my husband recommended that we search the medical literature before going down the rabbit hole again. There’s a single report of mesalamine (active ingredient of Lialda) reacting with bleach to form a reddish-brown dye. Upshot: a fresh toilet cleaning bleach tablet had been added to the water closet the day before.”

Peaches · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I’ve been taking Lialda for 6 years. I started on a very high dose but have reduced it over the years. I do believe it gives me gas, stomach aches, and I often have soft stools and mild cramping. I spoke to my doctor about it and he agrees it is probably the Lialda, but I didn’t want to switch in fear a new drug would not be as effective. I can deal with the side effects I have but I definitely don’t want another flare up. With that said, it works for me but with annoying side effects. Also, the price is ridiculous!!!! For a while I could use coupons but they aren’t available since a generic was introduced. Thank goodness I have insurance, but it’s still high.”

Bobby.S · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I have UC and have switched from Apriso to Lialda this year because of the price, been using it for 7 weeks now and have muscle fatigue and acne, it does seem to be starting to work, having fewer trips to bathroom then when I switched, Every time I eat even a handful of chips have a urge to poop. hope that goes away. Do plan on going back on Apriso next year after building up HSA funds back up.”

PC · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “In 2009 I developed pneumonitis, pericarditis, pancreatitis, and ARDS after 3 weeks on Lialda. My GI doc told me and the other docs on my case that I probably had swine flu, and refused to consider Lialda as a possible culprit. The early-onset signs that you're reacting to this drug are that your colitis doesn't improve or gets worse. Having 0 experience (this was a first-line treatment upon my UC diagnosis), I trusted things would improve eventually, as the doctor told me to give it a month. But before that month was up, I was in ICU on full ventilation for 2 weeks & had a cup of bloody fluid drained off of my heart. A pulmonologist noted that my lungs looked like I’d "inhaled pure lye" (which I hadn't). Another doctor on my case eventually intervened and gave me a megadose of steroids, which was the only thing that reversed my condition and imminent death. It was a very long, physically painful, and emotionally devastating recovery, something I never should have had to experience.”

Bella · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Taking Lialda 2 pills twice a day lots of bloating, diarrhea, losing hair ... time to call dr . Been on this med for almost a year ... now that he upped it feel it got worse”

Made a mistake! · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I’ve tried taking Lialda 1.2g several times in a 3 months time frame. It really seems to help with my ulcerative colitis. It improved my diarrhea (7/10) and stomach pain (8/10). It pretty much does it’s job of keeping me in remission. But, Every time I take this, my mood changes, my jaws and cheek hurt, I can’t speak properly, I can’t focus, and I just don’t feel like doing anything. At first I thought it was all in my head (pigeon superstition). And so I experimented with it about 6 times and it happened every single time. Even as I’m writing this my jaws hurt, I can’t focus, don’t wanna talk and I’m avoiding doing my homework and I have a 3 hour class to go to! Maybe I’m an exception to the common side effects. I think it’s worth writing this review just in case someone else have the similar side effects.”

MAG · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I have been taking Lialdia for 8 weeks. I fought getting started on a prescription as I prefer holistic approaches to healing, but there was way too much stress in my life to be able to focus on that. So I finally attempted a medication and am glad I did. It took about 4 weeks of using it daily. I take 4 tablets in am with food. After 3 to 4 weeks the bathroom frequency went from 6 to 8 visits per day to just in the morning. Since then I have gained 5 pounds so am thrilled about that as well. At first the only side effect was sinus related but that went away after a couple of weeks. The only thing I have since noticed is my hair more easily breaks when washing my hair but thinning hair for now sure beats 6 to 8 bathroom visits. It is still a journey to healing but trying to focus on reducing stress has helped a lot as well. I use a calm app and love it.”

Sugar · Taken for 10 years or more September 30, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Lialda put me in remission for over 12 years. I never experienced any side effects, until a few months ago when Lialda almost killed me. It gave me pancreatitis. My lipase was at 10,000, the normal is 0 to 90. I am extremely lucky.”

Carolina · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “It worked for me initially but then stopped working. I didn't really notice any side effects. Have been on 4 pills daily but will need to be switch to something else. I was getting my medication shipped free to my house through the manufacturer. If you qualify for their program you get approved within 2 days.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Used this and it didn't worked well for me”

CL · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “This caused pancreatitis and almost killed me.”

Llgrrrrll May 17, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance: “I have been taking Lialda for years and it works but here’s the thing I also get migraines to a ridiculous degree so I was forced to cut back my dose. So for me at least the very high dose or what they call a therapeutic level is unnecessary. I’m in a maintenance space where I honestly only need it every other day, I usually get the beginnings of a migraine about an hour after I take it but the migraine doesn’t become full blown on the lesser dose but the medicine does it’s job. Looks like my UC became Crohn’s over time because I also have irritation in my mouth and all sorts of skin spots (look like bug bits but aren’t) and interestingly when I have a flare of any kind if I take two single pills for two days in a row it almost always goes away. Thought I’d say it because the higher doses are completely intolerable for me but I don’t really need it like that. I use the co-pay assist card which makes a big difference”

Ilee · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I have been on this drug for twenty days. I took myself off it because I've experienced severe joint and muscle pain. I also have rashes all over including my head. I have lost 11 pounds, which would be nice except it is not fat, it is muscle mass. This drug need more study! I sincerely hope no one else has to suffer as I have. I have been off it for 9 days now, and things have not improved. I hope this is not sometime I have to live with, but it appears it might be.”

Happy Camper again · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Initially when I started taking Lialda, it worked. However, I ignored the side effects because the medication was working well. I pushed aside all the warnings in my body until my symptoms became severe. I had loss of hair, muscle weakness, fatigue, anxiety, and the final straw was the rash that overcame my body. The doctor did not believe it was due to the Lialda, because I was on it for 4 years, however, I know my body better then the doctor and chose to stop taking it. After 2 weeks I felt like a new person. I am now on Balsalazide Disodium, and for now it seems to be working fine. Listen to your body despite what the doctor says. Ignoring the warnings signs my body was experiencing was ignorance on my part and will never happen again.”

Mike B TX January 2, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “It has seemed to help me a lot, but it’s whopping expensive. I lucked out on samples and mfg coupons for half a year, then got ate up by expenses. I like this version much better than the asacol I had years ago, which caused discomfort, and terrible urinary stains from residue. So far with Lialda the drug seems more concentrated or timed release, with no residue in urine.”

QuisUtDeus · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I was diagnosed with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis in 2008. I’ve been on all kinds of medication including asacol, 6mp, remicade, humira, prednisone, amitriptyline, Lialada and others. I also had surgery to remove my gallbladder due to stones - which I regret now since I don’t think made any difference with the BMs and bleeding. I finally had good results with Lialda. I used to take 4 pills a day but managed to ween down to 2. I also realized that part of the healing process came from Spiritual healing and mental attitude. The stress from a job played a major role in my flare ups. Prayer helped me spiritually which in turn helped me with my mind, which then helped with my gut alongside Lialda and a less stressful job.”

Urseka November 4, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: “Diagnosed with Crohn’s after routine Colonscopy 5/2017 and was started on Lialda. No symptoms of Crohn’s other than the discovery of ulcers during Colonscopy. Now having hair loss at temples and fear it will continue and/or get worse. Plus it’s not covered by my insurance and costs over $230.00 a month. My GI says if I don’t take it I risk getting colon cancer. I was basically told it’s better to be broke and bald than have colon cancer. I think there has to be another answer?”

Branum408 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “The medicine seems to work well but still bleeding so doc put me on canasa and prednisone seems to work better”

sick of ulcerative colitis · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I was on asacol for 10 years with no flare ups and leading a normal life. Then 2 years ago my insurance (BCBS) stopped covering it. My Doctor changed me to Lialda and I have had a nothing short of continuous colitis hell flare up for 2 years straight. 20 diarrheas a day. Stomach cramps, weight loss, explosive uncontrolled bm. My Doctor refused to write a letter of medical necessity to my insurance company so I could get back on asacol. So I was on continuous steroids which caused diabetes. Finally to the point of starting humira which caused e coli, c diff, nor ovirus. Recent hospitalization which I was able to get back on asacol while in the hospital. Now discharged and unable to get asacol approved for use outside of hospitalization. ”

hotboxdp · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Developed UC after I stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Have tried everything including Lialda and Canasa. The only thing that works for me is smoking cigarettes. I've also tried nicotine gum and patch and even E-cigs. Only real cigarettes work. I have to smoke about 5 per day. Symptoms go away after 1-2 weeks. Then I stop smoking. Sometimes the symptoms will come back after a month, sometimes 6. Hate smoking but what's the alternative?”

Dude408 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 1, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I've been taking this medicine for years now and have had very little flare ups. I feel great on this medicine”

Anonymous_9332 April 7, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I was diagnosed with moderate to severe universal colitis on 3/27. I was prescribed lialda and take 4 pills a day as well as 1 uceris. I am not exaggerating when I say the relief was almost instant! Within 3 days I went from urgently using the bathroom 5 - 6 times a day with unbearable abdominal cramps to using the bathroom once a day with no cramps! Only side effects I have noticed so far is slight headaches, occasional trouble sleeping and more frequent urination which I will take over my colitis symptoms any day :) Lialda seriously has changed my life in the short 2 weeks I've been taking it ——————————————————— 19 years old Moderate to severe universal colitis Flare started: May 2016 Diagnosed: March 2017 Remission: April 2017”

Doing Better From TN · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: “Ok not enough room on this review to put up my full history. So will be brief. :) So far, tried Asacol and Humira and both did nothing for me. Now I am on Lialda twice a day, 1.2GM tablets. And these are working great. No cramps and limiting me now to about 2 - 3 bowel movements a day. And no bloody stools unlike my past. (10 years diagnosis). I have also changed my diet to a Mediterranean diet with little to no red meat. Mainly chicken and fish for my sources of protein. No deep fried foods. And has worked out great. Also for veggies/greens etc, skip out on any gas producing vegs (broccoli and onions for example). And taking vitamins/iron supplements daily to keep those well maintained.”

AGinchicago · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I'very been on Lialda since diagnoses nearly 10 years ago. I started with 2xday and progressed to 4x day about 4 years ago. A month ago I had a bad flare and am not on 6x day for a couple days + casana (sp?) Which is essentially the same drug only in suppository. It's already working to clear up my flare, but I'm experiencing acne and jumbled thoughts. Can't wait to drop the suppository once this is under control, hopefully I'm 1-2 wks. I don't know how "Iowa" cured themselves with diet -- I tried that and Lialda seriously changed my life.”