User Reviews for Pentasa to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Pentasa has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 67% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Pentasa Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Nous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 29, 2021

“I was diagnosed with UC in 2018 due to high levels of stress causing serious diarrhea, sharp stomach pain, bloating and bleeding. I got various tests until the doctors were able to diagnose me with UC. Starting off with steroids for a couple weeks, I then began taking 4 tablets daily and the improvements were amazing. I am able to eat any food without any complications. When I find myself stressed out, I do see little flare ups but they go away after a day or two max. I would 100% for anyone to try this medication if you have these symptoms due to stress.”

Debbie January 3, 2021

“Received diagnosed last year of ulcerative colitis when I stopped smoking, 2 months later all the symptoms hit: bloated, pains in the stomach, constipation and lots of blood! I went for a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. At first I was given the rectal foam...I found the process awful, once inserted you couldn’t move otherwise it triggered a bowel movement, also caused awful cramps. I then tried the Pentasa tablets, taking 2 a day for 8 weeks now and what a difference. The bloating and pain in the stomach has gone down loads, bowel movements more regular and much less bleeding. I still get the odd niggly feelings and a small amount of blood so the doctor has recommend to up the does to 4 a day. So far though these tablets have massively improved my ulcerative colitis. I’m in the UK and fortunate enough to have the NHS so I pay £9 for three big boxes. It’s crazy to think people have to pay hundreds for no fault of their own!”

paul · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2020

“2yrs ago very bad colitis spent 7 days in hospital drugs xrays etc I responded well to drugs and I am now on 3 pentasa in the morning and 3 at night, with no side affects and I do eat any thing I want. At the time I went to hospital I was 74 years old and it came on over a period of 2 months in the end I lived on the toilet I did see a specialist and he send me straight to the hospital he said I was gravely ill .I am good now.”

Steve · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2019

“I began taking Pentasa in 1986 when it was still an experimental drug. I have taken over 150,000 250mg capsules! My UC has been in remission for over 25 years now. I still take six 250 mg capsules daily. For me, Pentasa has been a miracle drug, as I wasn't too far from death in the early 1980's. I just wish it was available as a generic. I am now on Medicare, and the prescription part D plans don't pay well. It will cost me hundreds per month.”

VitaminDdeficient · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2016

“Age 37, diagnosed with bad UC at 12, recent years only flares up 2-3 times/year. Currently fighting first bout of the year with pentasa suppositories, taking 1-2/day. Has stopped the bleeding and going less frequently BUT awful headaches (as with Asacol/Salofalk foam enemas). Note to self/others who are sick of drugs: I have found (25 yrs in) that it IS possible to be symptom free if you properly and consistently take care of yourself. This means plenty of rest/sleep, camomile tea/water, gentle exercise, meditation (mindfulness is a cliché/buzzword but there's a lot to it), steamed veggies/rice, avoiding sugar/alcohol/dairy/caffeine (going gluten-free can help some people too) ... I intend to cure myself completely one of these days!!”

Zonar May 17, 2018

“Got diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 25 yrs ago and they said I had to have a bag which I refused. Then said you have to go on steroids which I also refused , then I gave up smoking ! Wow 4 months later UC kicked in with a vengeance ended up losing a half glass of blood can honestly say the toilet was my best friend for 4 months ! I plucked up the courage to go to the hospital had a colonoscopy was put on Pentasa 4 tabs a day - bearing in mind I hadn't taken any tablets except Paracetamol occasionally, I put on too much weight which I didn't like that ! So it was decided that I cut down to 2 tabs a day, anyway still didn't feel right so I went to the chemist and showed my belly he gave me water tabs said take 1 a day so off I went next morning I couldn't believe it I had a half solid stool ! I thought that's odd ! Now for 2 weeks I'm doing great 1 Pentasa tab and 1 water tablet and my weight is levelling off and my stools are normal ! My experience maybe not good for everybody !”

Chocolatnoir June 3, 2016

“I was given pentasa 2mgs in sachets after having a bad flare up of colitis. After few months of taking it I started noticing a regular pattern of not being able to sleep, a bad case of restless legs syndrome (unbearable) always at night and partly causing the not sleeping, irregular heartbeats and having already asthma it got much worse. So after going on forums I realised I wasn't the only one. I halved the dose to 1 gr , the symptoms receded but I still know/feel it's not good to take long term and I will start reducing. It also makes me feel constantly tired. On a positive note it really is effective for what it what design to do, stop the bad effects of colitis... It's finding a good balance in the dosage along with a clean nutrition!”

morocco · Taken for 10 years or more October 8, 2019

“Pentasa works good for me but I have to follow diet of no fat, no acidic no spices, no outside food .”

Petie December 6, 2019

“This drug made my colitis worst... more flare ups and extreme pain... I do not recommend this for ulcerative colitis”

susan k · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2015

“Newly diagnosed, but this has really helped me feel normal again. So far so good. I do struggle with the amount of pills needed though - right now I'm taking 4 in the morning and 4 at night.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis