User Reviews for Mesalamine to treat Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Also known as: Apriso, Lialda, Pentasa, Asacol, Canasa, Asacol HD, Delzicol, Rowasa, Canasa Pac Zaldyon Rowasa Sulfite Free …show all brand names

Mesalamine has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Mesalamine Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Reviews for Mesalamine

PedrosMom · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2012

Asacol (mesalamine): “Have had IBD for years, got relief after just 3 doses. The disease has had me housebound for a year because I never knew when I was going to have an accident. Had no control at all. Am hoping this will be the solution and I can have a normal life.”

Trying to get Relief · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2018

Apriso (mesalamine): “Apriso worked well to control the inflammation in my stomach and small intestine. However after a few weeks of use, it made my hair fall out. If I liked wigs this would be great. So far nothing else has worked this good.”

MoreKnowledgableNow · Taken for 10 years or more November 27, 2020

Lialda (mesalamine): “Went through a few frightening episodes of what I thought was lots of blood in urine. Had a ridiculously long and frightful work-up (cultures, cystoscopy with dye under general anesthesia) to rule out infection and cancer. Nothing was ever found. Happened again 2 years later. This time, my husband recommended that we search the medical literature before going down the rabbit hole again. There’s a single report of mesalamine (active ingredient of Lialda) reacting with bleach to form a reddish-brown dye. Upshot: a fresh toilet cleaning bleach tablet had been added to the water closet the day before.”

Mr. Big February 4, 2020

“I am 64-had a colonoscopy last July for a positive Cologuard test result. No cancer, but, there was a small area of redness the doctor was concerned about. Ordered a CT scan-no def results. After exam, did not have a normal bowel movement-I was perfectly fine before the exam. By late Aug, had serious rectal bleeding, loose stool. Went back in mid-Sept they ordered tests for infection/parasities- were negative. In Nov I reached the worst point, where I was running to the bathroom almost hourly. I started taking probiotics, based on the recommendation of a friend and that helped. By late Dec, started having somewhat solid stool again. I had an appointment with a gastroenterologist at the end of January-at that point I was recovering quite nicely and she prescribed Mesalamine, which I have been taking for two weeks now and I am practically back to normal. I don't know exactly why I began to recover on my own, but, probiotics definitely help and the Mesalamine sealed the deal.”

Psych11 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 15, 2015

Pentasa (mesalamine): “This is the first drug I was prescribed after hospitalization and initial diagnosis. It made it possible to get off steroids and back to work. Hair loss was extensive, until I increased water intake and saw a renal dietician. Even though I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, this has been the least risky of the medications prescribed for my condition. My hair has grown back in, and with lifestyle changes I am much better. Long term, this is the only regimen that works for me.”

Diana February 13, 2019

“I have been taking this since my diagnoses and it is amazing, the pain has subsided. I watch foods that trigger my IBS along with my medication Mesalamine 800 and this has brought quality life back. Thank you...”

Richard Huntrods · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2016

“I was prescribed ASACOL 7 days ago following a colonoscopy showed I had an inflamed colon. Over the week I have become increasingly tired and achy and my movements have become increasingly lose, becoming diarrhoea by day 6. I have been taken off the medicine pending a consultation in 3 days.”

Fifster920 · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2021

“I was on this medicine for about 2 weeks. It wasn't helping so my doc said I could get off it. A few days later I had terrible chest pain and assumed it was an ulcer. It got so bad I went to the ER at 4am and after some blood tests was told it was myocarditis (heart inflammation) which is a more rare side effect of the drug. I had no other side effects so just keep an eye on chest pain and go in if you get it. I was treated and released and totally fine after. Not the end of the world just wish I would have known to watch for that as a side effect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2019

Pentasa (mesalamine): “Pentasa was so helpful for IBS It allowed me to get off steroids. I always felt better after taking it. Having to take it only twice a day was very comfortable.”

Katlady1776 April 9, 2017

Apriso (mesalamine): “Every doc said was IBS but a biopsy showed inflammation without being UC....I'm taking apriso and I'm so happy my life change 100%...keep fingers crossed ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

Delzicol (mesalamine): “Delzicol works wonderfully!!! Too bad it is so dog-gone expensive and my insurance doesn't want to cover it anymore.”

Learn more about Inflammatory Bowel Disease