User Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide

Also known as: Dulcolax Milk of Magnesia, Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia, Milk of Magnesia, Pedia-Lax Chewable Tablets, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

Learn more about Magnesium hydroxide.

Indigestion 7 reviews 250 medications

8.9
Constipation 84 reviews 244 medications

8.6
Acne 3 reviews 525 medications

8.3
Summary of Magnesium hydroxide reviews 94 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "So a bit about me I am a regular guy, regular build, height, size. Aged 61 and a Leo (not that this makes a difference). When I say I'm a regular guy I mean that in the last 60 odd years I have been as regular as clockwork in the BM (Bowel Movement) department That was until last Saturday morning. WARNING GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW: (Written in laymen's terms) Day 1: Saturday I awoke went to the loo, nothing happened! I sat there needing a wee and if you are like me during or shortly after I wee I poo. Not today! Got up off the loo and went about my day. Several times though the day I went and sat on the loo and tried to pee, with just a trickle for my efforts. I felt that I really needed a poo. As the day went on I felt almost as if each bum cheek was solid, I mean rock hard. (That's not good)I was thinking to myself. Still unable to poo and pushing on each bum cheek to try and move stuff about a bit in the hope that I might be able to squeeze a bit out. NOPE! Went to bed. Day 2: Sunday I awoke in the morning really really needing a wee and a poo. Still rock hard bum cheeks but now liquid poo was dripping/running out of my bum. This persisted throughout the day every time I sat on the loo. I spent four hours sitting there trying desperately to go the pain was so bad I was literally screaming in pain. The pain was situated mostly around my perineum. I would describe pain as having an elephant standing with its back legs on your dick and its front legs bouncing on your bladder OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOuch! This continued all day. I tried two table spoons of olive oil mixed with fresh lemon juice and Loads of water. NOTHING! Day 3: Monday Woke up went the loo worked on massaging each bum cheek had a small motion when I say small I mean the size of a pea. I was however able to pea (opps I mean pee) still rock hard impacted bum dripping with runny poo. I worked on each bum cheek rubbing and massaging as I sat on the loo for what seemed like most of the day gradually I was able to work most of it out as it became slightly softer. Day 4: Tuesday Woke up still unable to poo but weeing with ease when I needed to Bum cheeks felt normal (bit saggy as I'm getting older, I used to be such a fit tasty kind of guy with a great arse). Today I am getting worried as I have never had anything like this happen to me I have always been fit and active never taking any time off. I go on the internet and find this forum. After looking at loads of others I am not anti-meds but only use them as a last resort if all else seems to fail. (I am a forth degree Reiki Master Practitioner and a black belt so fairly fit most of life) I remember my mother used Milk of Magnesia so after reading the comments here went and got some and took 15ml at 17:00 (I did read the instructions but decided to take some) my thinking was before I go to bed wrong! Nothing happened so at 23:00 I took another 10ml and went bed. Day5: Wednesday I awoke feeling as I had done for the last 4 days still wanting a poo desperately wanting a poo and pissed off that the MOM had not worked yet. I sat on the loo had pee and and nothing! Went outside to inflate my wife's car tyre which has a very slow puncture so got the compressor out attached it to the valve and as I bent over I thought to myself I think I need to go to the loo. So slowly walked back indoors (no urgency at all) sat on the loo and my bum exploded in an instant with such force that it truly stunned me OMG! No pain. No cramp. No nothing; almost no sensation at all, except the most amazing feeling of not being full of poo (which I have been accused of on more than one occasion) (wrongly I have to say being a Leo apart from the last 5 poo filled days) Been twice again since this morning it's now 14:15 and having just finished this felt I had to say is fanbloodytastic. Be warned it can happen very very quickly and almost violently when it does, in my case without any warning and I'm happy to say without any pain or cramping at all (just lots and lots of noise and splashing and shouts from me (not of pain but of great relief. That must be the understatement of the year) 10/10 for Milk of magnesium Once again Mr Regular!"

Mr Regular (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I changed my diet about 6 months ago and just recently (the last month or so) have been experiencing constipation. Before this it had been very few and far between. Roughly every 3-4 days is when I would have a BM, not comfortable at all. I finally caved after having horrible bloating and pain at work today. I went to the drug store and picked up a bottle of MOM. I took 2 tbsp about 7pm. I didn't have any discomfort or gas but I couldn't sleep very well either. Finally about 1am, the blockage is gone and I'm so much more comfortable. I didn't experience any cramping and the beginning was still somewhat difficult to pass, it was soft but very bulky still. I don't feel any further urges to go to the toilet but it's only been 20 minutes."

Had2Go (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

For Constipation: "I spent most of Saturday in bed. I felt like someone had punched me in the gut repeatedly or like i had done an extreme ab workout. Neither of those things actually took place. The pain was terrible. On Sunday, i purchased a generic "cherry flavored" milk of magnesia. I took four tablespoons. My head began to hurt which i attribute to dehydration as i was unable to eat anything but soup while i was in pain. A couple of hours layer, i drank two more tablespoons. It seemed as if the entirety of my intestinal tract began gurgling. And the medicine started working. I,personally, did not experience any if the cramping that others are describing and am experiencing great relief. Drink a lot of water with it."

VF (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "This is a great product, because I was constipated for 3 days. I took it at 10am, and it took effect at 5pm same day. I added cups of water and a lil prune juice and everything was good. I was constipated due to GERD antacids. I was glad there were no cramps.MOM is a life saver for us with but issues and digestion."

Shanwa (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I read comments here about MOM taking it too far in the reverse. The directions and some patience are very important factors. My mother is 101 so we are very careful. After many years of chronic constipation and emergency room visits where even the ER couldn't easily help, we learned MOM taken correctly gives gentle relief over the course of a day or so. Our doctor explained MOM pulls moisture into the bowel to give relief, so it makes sense people are giving themselves the reverse problem by being too much in a hurry. Can't say enough about this rediscovered old friend. It is the most natural choice."

HelpingItOut October 28, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I had severe constipation today and my stool was stuck I couldn't even sit down I had to pull what I could get out on my own in order to walk to get some milk of magnesia it helped me preety quickly I was so severely constipated I thought I was going to pass out as I was straining so badly I strongly recommend milk of magnesia it saved me a trip to the emergency room I will let other's no it's a terrific product for constipation thank you milk of magnesia you gave me the relief I needed after 6 hrs of extremely constipation I was in so much pain and you helped me get through it thank you so much I am so grateful for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Worked like a charm. No pain, just some warning cramps. Took 1.5tbps, worked in less than 3 hrs. Will use again"

Pooper Trooper (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I experience chronic constipation due to the medications I am on, if I don't take something, I cannot go! I use Milk of Magnesia for work days when I want to be in control of my bowels, as it is less "demanding" than stimulant laxatives. IMPORTANT! For best effects, take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, the more the better. Depending on the condition of your bowels, it will kick in between 4 hours to 12 hours. I take the maximum recommended dosage and it will move my bowels enough to make me comfortable for a day or so. I use a stimulant laxative on weekends to flush my bowels out and prepare me for another week. This works for me well, personally."

Milford S. October 9, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I had been constipated for nearly four days. My stomach was cramping. I took 4 tablespoons and after 6 hours nothing. I then took another 4 tablespoons. My stomach began churning and gurgling at about the 8th hour. My first bm was semi solid. Them the flood gates opened. Almost watery stools. I've had to run to the toilet several times. Do not take this if you're going to be away from home. Also be careful coughing, sneezing, or passing gas. You may have an accident. Much better than being backed up and cramping."

Ireallyneededtogo (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I've been backed up for over a week. I took some M.O.M and it didn't work til 12 hours later."

KrissyJohnson325 September 19, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "It works. Don't fart unless your able to change your pants right away if you know what I mean"

I farted (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I've never had problems with my bowel movements. However, I just had to have surgery and was taking a narcotic - mostly to sleep at night. I had a small bowel movement the third night home, but then felt horribly constipated. It was almost worse than the operation. It was painful, uncomfortable in my belly and bloating. I took olive oil, ate fruit, did all the things to get my body moving. I walked around for hours. Still, nothing. Finally, my mother came over with The Phillips Milk of M and I took the largest amount. Nothing right away. I became frustrated and took another two tsp. about three hours into waiting. Exactly six hours after I took the first dose my system finally kicked in - BIG TIME. It was really painful, but RELIEF."

Really worked! August 23, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was constipated for 6 days. I tried 1/2 citrate magnesia which only made me move once with tiny balls..nothing else.i tried prunes, oatmeal, prunes blended in oatmeal, fig newtons, bran muffin, drinking 4 to 5 glasses of water 10 mins apart, walking and nothing..I was getting impacted.. I was considering taking an enema at this point but tried MoM instead. I took two full doses which equal eight tbsp.. This was suggested to me by a nurse who knows of my previous situation in which one full dose does not work for upon impaction. I drank two full glasses of water and followed with a probiotic after reading a doctor tell someone to follow MoM with a probiotic on healthtrap. it took about 6 hours and a few glasses of water and I can sleep now"

KimKJ August 23, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "as an occasional user, MoM is the most dependable and gentle laxative I've ever used."

effective and gentle (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I never get constipated. I usually poop at least twice per day, so when I woke up yesterday and felt like I had to poop, but could not get it out, no matter how hard I pushed, I soon enough found myself in an immense amount of pain and discomfort. I ate oatmeal, a whole bag of frozen spinach doused in butter, and drank herbal tea, to no avail. After finding the helpful reviews on this board, I asked my fiancée to pick up some MoM for me, on his way home today. I took 4tbs at about 8:00pm and at around 10:30pm, I was finally able to poop! I've had a few explosive diarrheas since, but at this point, I do NOT care, it just felt so good to go! MoM tastes pretty vile, but it works!"

Girls Poop 2 August 12, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Indigestion: "I have acid reflux and I love food, sometimes or most of the time I eat too much of the wrong foods and pay for it. Phillips mom relieves the pressure and is a blessing when I'm stuffed up and no bowel movement occurs so there's only discomfort. I also sleep so much better after going a cpl times, thank God for this magical medicine."

Redz Da Chit August 9, 2016

For Constipation: "So I have a laundry list of medical complications that eaither directly or indirectly through medicines cause severe constipation like to the point where I am impacted all the way into my small intestine. My doctor has me taking on tablespoon every three days and if I am having a really hard time I take one extra tablespoon. It's great, keeps me regular, doesn't cause cramping like other ones I have tried and certainly beats the enemas I used to have to get. The only problem is my stools seem to be really wet however that might be because I have a very soft diet for the most part and even then don't eat a lot. But definitely watch the dose and start with the smaller one, this stuff is strong"

Laundrylistproblems (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I had never been constipated before and was getting really Fed up. I was going to try MOM but my pharmacist recommend senokot along with lactulose. I tried these for a couple of days but neither was working. By day 6 I resorted to MOM knowing I had the following day off. I took 5tbsp at 12:00am and by 3:00am I had a normal gentle BM, with no cramping or side effects. Highly recommended!"

Cloudy123 August 4, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was constipated for 3 days, very uncomfortable, in pain, so I figured I would give this a try. It worked wonderful. I took the highest dose, 4 tbsp, about 3 hours later I finally pooped, then pooped 3 more times through the day. Needless to say I felt much better! I definitely recommend this, even for the worst constipation, it definitely cleans you out. Oh yeah, I bought the mint flavor, which isn't that bad, you just have to get past the chalkiness of it. Just shoot it down quick. I will be using this again for future problems, maybe try another flavor, I would imagine they are all probably chalky."

No more poop problems July 22, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I am 21 and have struggled with IBS-C for two years now. My doctor has me do colon cleanses when I am severely constipated. So I was prescribed to take the 4 tablespoons of MOM. It took a little over 5 hours to kick in and when it does you'll know. The first few hours were awful with the gurgling and cramping in my stomach. At one point I was going to take more because it seemed to not be working. DONT. It will work and you will feel so much better !"

IBS-C Help July 16, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "This was my first time using Milk of Mag for 3-4 days of constipation. I took a small amount 1 tablespoon the 1st night (I only weigh 108 lbs) with no results. The next day I tried 1 1/2 tbpns also without any help for my ah "problem". That night I took 2 tablespoons and oh boy the next day I suffered! I finally went but towards the end it was mostly water and my stomach cramped up like crazy every time. Not fun. I think I would only use this again if I was severely constipated. Good luck!"

Anonimal (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I've had issues with constipation since October 2015. The doctor had me on Miralax daily until I got into the Gastroenterologist in April. He gave me samples of Amitiza and told me to try it on the weekend. It was horrible cramps, gas and bloating. So I went back to Miralax. Then my regular doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia. I took some before I went to bed last night 7/4/16. I was awakened at 4:30 a.m. with pain worse then labor pains. I filled the toilet bowel with what looked like snack pack chocolate pudding. Terrible gas pains stomach just knotting up and turning. I have my colonoscopy scheduled for 7/8/16. I hope the prep they gave me doesn't have the same affect on me. My stomach is still messed up 24 hours later."

Nettie2016 (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I'm very pleased with the outcome of this medication although it did not work as fast as I had anticipated. I had constipation for 2 days and the prescribed medication for constipation use because of opioids did not work, so I reached for the MoM. I took 4 tablespoons last night and nothing happened. Finally took another 4 tablespoons this afternoon and it worked in an hour. No cramping. Very gentle. Thank you MoM"

Anonymous June 19, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Taking pain killers for shingles I was constantly bloated and in pain with constipation. In fact my stools where impacted. I tried several laxatives to no avail. Then I remembered as a child mum giving us milk of magnesia. So got a bottle from chemist. I did as the instructions said 1 5mils. It worked a treat."

JanetMF June 15, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I suffer from chronic constipation ever since I was a toddler (now 25 yrs). My boyfriend is a nurse and suggested this to me about 7 months ago. It definitely works, although each time has been a slightly different experience. It doesn't work well on a full stomach I have noticed. Don't drink too much water either or your butt may explode. I took it today after being constipated for 3 days at about 1pm and had my first poop at about 3:30pm. It is now 5:50pm and I've been to the bathroom every 10 minutes pooping out straight water. I have had perfect poops with this stuff and also experiences like this with mass amounts of diarrhea. I also have suffered nausea today and a couple of other times. My lower abdomen is also sensitive to the touch"

Missy97404 June 10, 2016