User Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide

Also known as: Dulcolax Milk of Magnesia, Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia, Milk of Magnesia, Pedia-Lax Chewable Tablets, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Magnesium hydroxide.

Indigestion
8.9

Constipation
8.6

Acne
8.3

Summary of Magnesium hydroxide reviews 8.6 126 reviews

Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I am 23 years old and have suffered from stomach issues and constipation most of my life. In the past several years, I have struggled with IBS-C and have really bad constipation during my flares. I have tried just about everything to relieve my constipation specifically prunes, miralax, Metamucil, extra fruits/veggies, and lots of water. Nothing seemed to help and I was getting frustrated! Finally I was at the store buying some Gas-X, when I came across Milk of Magnesia and called my mom to see what she thought. I ended up buying it and took the 2 tablespoon dose at night with an 8oz glass of water and went to bed. I did feel the gas and my stomach rumbled all night but no action until I got up and ate. It definitely cleared me out!!"

Templhope22 November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Travelled to the US to visit my significant other, but hadn't gone to the bathroom for a whole WEEK. My s/o's mother explained that travelling can cause constipation, but I was desperate for a BM nearing 8 days and no BM, and was looking up all sorts of routes to try and take. I bought suppositories, other laxatives to try, but Milk of Magnisa worked in exactly 12 hours, 60ml. Took it before bed, woke up exactly 12 hours later and I'm still glued to the toilet seat --- I'd pick the runs over being constipated any day."

anidiotabroad (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "First time user; took the full dose (4tbs) because I'd been constipated for a week and felt very uncomfortable. I did not drink a full cup of water with it, thank goodness. You'll see why later. First BM came about an hour later (not much) and second one about 3 hrs later (bit more). I was disappointed because I thought that was it but felt there was more. Around hour 5 I had a slight urge to go... so I sat down and whoa!!!! Everything just fell out. Seriously, no effort and absolutely no pain. There was a LOT of water, despite the fact that I didn't take the med with recommended full cup of water. I feel light as a feather now. MOM is very good stuff, I'll definitely use again and highly recommend!"

Featherweight October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I’ll start by saying, this stuff has very mixed reviews. I expected it to either never kick in, or work way too well. Neither did happen, but I have been relieved of my constipation. I took 3 tbsps on Thursday 9/21. Nothing at all. Later on that night, I took 2 more tbsps just to make sure that it would kick in at some point. I woke up at 8:47 AM today, and I barely made it to the restroom. I’m writing this as I finish my 30 minute restroom break. This stuff works wonders. Not only did clean me out well, there was no pains whatsoever. 999999999999999/10. It may take a little over a day to start, but it is MIGHTY worth it."

Xander W. B. (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I had a baby and afterwards was constipated for 9 days (even with daily stool softeners). On day 9 I got MoM. I did not take the max dose. I was able to have a bowel movement (what I believed to be 9 days worth) within an hour. My baby is now 12 days old and I still have constant diarrhea and can't eat without ending up on the toilet. I won't take this again"

Stillgoing (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have been having trouble with constipation. I also have problems with nausea and vomiting so I know my intake of food and water hasn't been the best. Today I felt the urge to have a bowel movement and was really excited to do so, as that hasn't been happening for a couple weeks and I had to take an enema about 3 days ago. I tried to make a BM and nothing but a pellet came out and I was left with stool in my rectum which caused a good deal of pain and discomfort. I literally could not sit down. I managed to make it down the street to CVS for MoM (cvs brand). I took about 45 ml + water at first and then about 20 min later I took the additional 15 ml + water. 6.5 very painful hours later baseballs come out. Relief!"

Pregnant and poopless (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Went to bathroom and rock hard bowel was harder than a rock soo bad it pushed against rectum caused severe pain. Took 120 mls 30-45 mins later was able to pass huge bowel but was still a big job - I thought I was going to tear something but feel a lot better. No one to blame but myself thats what opiates do."

ReggieRe1223 July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "So, i got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out on Wednesday, July 12th, and I was completely under anestesia in a surgical center. I was not able to move my bowels after wards because of the anestesia and medicine. It's 4:00 on Friday, the 14th. I took Milk of magnesia at 3:30 and I am finally using the bathroom !! Highly recommend"

Anonymous July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "This stuff is a freaking miracle worker. I have chronic constipation and can go weeks with no BMs thanks to my doctor prescribed diet. Now if I were to tell you nothing else worked, I'd be lying. Everything worked. However, this is the only product I've used that didn't leave me writhing in pain. Magnesium citrate, all stimulant laxatives, and even natural remedies gave me such awful cramps they'd double me over and sometimes for days. Even saline laxatives made me queasy and ill feeling for several hours post BM. I thought I was out of options until I came across this at the Dollar Tree. No cramps, no discomfort, doesn't keep me up at night, and a BM like clockwork 5-6 hours after consuming. It completely empties me out!!!"

MarissaR8897 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Took at 9 am hoping to move bowels the same day, after days of horrible constipation and bloating. MoM claims it works within 6 hours, but nothing happened. I took another dose at bedtime, still without any movement. The following morning I have awful diarrhea. It's so bad it gave me an anal fissure and I've been taking Imodium and putting on lidocaine to ease the pain. Ridiculous to go from one extreme to the other. Yes I should not have taken a second dose, but thought it would be fine since it did not work at all after 14 hours, and supposedly you can take this daily. I thought this would just quicken transit time, but no, it stayed it my gut, mushed everything to liquid, and gave me the worst diarrhea ever. Never taking again!"

Horrible diarrhea (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "After surgery 2 weeks ago and consuming nothing but water and fiber type foods. I for some reason got constipated, I took MoM at 8pm. And at 2 am like clock work I was gettting crazy an cramps and could hear the bowel in motion. And bam had to go. But then at 3 am and 4 am again. Then at 7 am. Either I'm that backed up or it's working too good"

Harlock (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Diagnosed over a year ago with Gluten Intolerance. When I eat anything with gluten I become bloated, and usually end up with awful diarrhea. The other night I ate what was supposed to be a gluten free sandwich; the cook screwed up. I expected the usual rush to the bathroom, except it didn't come. This time I was so constipated my pants wouldn't fit. MOM has has helped a bit. It took about 20 minutes before I ran to the bathroom. However, it has made me more gassy than anything; I'm scared to pass gas incase something else happens. My stomach and intestines sound like a warzone. It seems to help a bit, but has anyone else had the gas issue? Every time I go to the bathroom very little comes out, but it always follows a burst of gas."

GasBlast (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was backed up due to pain meds. Very uncomfortable. Took a full/big dose of MoM and drank a bunch of water. About 2-3 hours later, I had the most explosive diarrhea. It was AMAZING. I went from thinking I might have to go to ER to practically crying tears of joy and relief on the toilet while peeing out of my butt!!! Highly recommend this product to anyone who feels irregular . No cramps, no bad side effects. Just make sure you are near a toilet after you take it!!! Amen!"

Bonnie Nuggetz (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was constipated for about 5 days do to taking diet pills. I took MOM at about 1030pm at night I woke up at about 5 am rubbing my belly and thinking I can't believe this stuff hasn't kicked in. When I tell you that thought hadn't even left my mind yet it kicked in and with a bang!!!! I barely made it to the bathroom. I felt so much better even though I almost pooped on myself!!!!"

I'm so happy!!! April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "works great I can't live with out it"

waverider007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was not feeling well and had stomach pain. I went ahead and took pepto bismol and it made me feel worse. Within minutes my pain came stronger I felt bloated and discomfort. After a few hours in pain I went to the market and purchased MOM.....within one hour of taking it with a glass of water it worked.....the results were AMAZING!!! everything was gone and I felt very clean!"

Karinita0708 April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I was taking pain medication for a knee injury, and I suffered from severe constipation. When I say severe, I mean I could barely walk. It was so painful that I had to get my husband to help me off the toilet so I could curl up in bed in the fetal position. I couldn't eat anything either. My grandma recommended milk of magnesia. I sent my husband out to get me some, and I took the max dose that was allowed in a day. I was in pain for almost six hours before it started to kick in. It did soften my stool, but it was still painful coming out as I was EXTREMELY constipated. Then after the major bowel movement, I did have some diarrhea. MOM got the job done! I can't complain because the pain I was experiencing was almost unbearable."

LibraryLady90 March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I've been taking opioids for knee surgery and they are the worst for causing constipation. Despite taking stool softeners, senna laxatives, drinking prune juice daily and a high fiber diet, I could not get anything more than a tiny pebble to come out, and that was after straining so hard I got dizzy. My 'roids were freaking out. Enemas sort of worked but they were very painful and I never felt completely empty afterward. Since I'll be on meds for a few weeks I can't rely on them as a solution. After about 5 days of rocks for guts I finally found some irritable bowel forums with people swearing by milk of magnesia. So my husband ran to the pharmacy for me. About 18 hours later the sky opened up and the angels sang. Such relief!"

Holly Goes Barely (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "2 yrs ago I suddenly became so constipated that I couldn't have gone using a jackhammer!! That's how bad it was but after using every OTC laxatives, enemas everything I couldn't go. SO I told my Dr what was going on and she prescribed Kristalose for 125.00 a month. No success in the beginning then got a tad better. Then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism which slows everything down and was given medication for that. FINALLY I saw a commercial for MOM and realized I had not tried it before. SO I rushed out and got some. IT HAS CHARGE MY LIFE IN A GREAT WAY!!! No more pain as I had for not going for a week. No CRAMPING. Just stay close to home after use and it works. Sometimes faster than others, but IT WILL work. GOOD LUCK GUYS"

Skimberly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Is milk of magnesia lactose-free?"

Dr. W. February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Beware if you are on pain medicine. Sometimes it doesn't always work. After suffering from constipation, sorry if this is TMI by the way. I took 3 tbsp of MOM. Nothing happened, the second day I took 4 tbsp and that night suffered severe cramping. I also had a little stool come out with blood..needless to say I went to the ER as the pain grew and I couldn't go. I waited 4 hours, mind you I live in Canada. And there was a poor little girl who stopped breathing. I ended up leaving and purchasing a enema kit and also ducalax suppositoties just inbcase. I got home and within 5 min I had relief. Moral of the story: IF ON PAIN MEDS HAVE A BACK UP PLAN!"

Limisrose January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I have used this twice for constipation in pregnancy, and it works! I am quite small, so I only take about 20ml and still had quick relief. I have also found that it helps with indigestion pain."

PregnantAndBloated (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Was constipated due to pain meds. PCP recommended Miralax. Made me very crappy and gassy. Then told me to try Amitiza or Movantik -- both are very $$$ even with insurance. Saw a GI and he recommended high fiber diet (basically done by mixing high fiber cereal with another tastier cereal) and then adding 30mL MOM. Nothing happened. Tried 45 and then 60 mL, but nothing. I hadn't gone properly in 7 weeks and felt bloated, so I drank a heap of MOM -- gives you fluid -- and 7-8 hrs later, WOW!! So much came out that I thought that I'd filled the entire bowl. Fortunately, it's a power flusher toilet. Took about 6 flushes but finally got it all down the drain. Felt so good. Now I won't wait as long. If no BM in 2 wks, drink an bottle & GO!"

Pooperama ala Mama January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "Recommended by my GI. 30 ml dose every AM very helpful, especially compared to $$$ prescription meds that my PCP recommended"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) for Constipation: "I suffered from diverticulitis 15yrs ago. Had to have part of my sigmoid colon removed after it perforated, almost died from the infection.Things went well for 7yrs, until I had to have surgery again because of blockage due to stomach adhesions. Which they say is typical after that kind of surgery. In each of these incidents I was unable to poop and my stomach grew to the size of 2 watermelons! It was so painful. Well it happened again! I couldn't pass anything but a few hard marbles for 2wks! The pain and gas were horrible! I tried everything, Senokot, prunes, etc. I was getting really scared that what was left of my colon would explode and I would die! I took a dose of MOM and walla It worked! Be near a toilet for several hrs though!"

HappyPooper (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017