User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Bowel Preparation 30 reviews 115 medications

5.9
Constipation 475 reviews 247 medications

5.7
Summary of Dulcolax reviews 505 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Dulcolax

For Constipation "I had mild constipation and took 2 Dulcolax pills at about 8 p.m. Normal dose for children and adults is 1-3 tablets. I woke up at 10:30 p.m. with severe burning and cramps in my stomach. I also felt very nauseous. I had to get out of bed and run back and forth to the bathroom for 3 hours with severe abdominal pain and cramping. By 1:30 a.m. I was able to sleep but still uncomfortable. It is about 8:00 a.m. now and I just took immodium to stop the diarrhea. I will never take this drug again and certainly would advise against giving it to small adults or children."

M1chellee August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I took 4 dulcolax against the package directions which indicate to take only 1. I didn't have cramping or an explosive bm. When I did finally poo about 12 hours after taking the pills, it was slow and required lots of effort and pushing. I didn't get everything out as desired...but I did at least have a bm."

Beej75767 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "So, I had some health issues lately that had me taking narcotic pain medication for about 2 weeks- one of the side effects of narcotics is constipation- being a nurse I knew I needed a stool softener while on the narcotics so I was taking Colace twice a day. After 4-5 days with no BM I decided to take 2 Dulcolax for some help- NEVER AGAIN!! After about 10 hours I was cramping, sweating, light headed and in so much pain I could hardly walk- yes I was able to have a BM but not before vomiting everywhere.... the side effects of this Medication are not worth the pain! I felt like a knife was turning in my stomach and started on fire..."

Brixoxoswi (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Hello fellow constipated friends! I really don't recommend this seemingly "Gentle" pill. I've always had bowel problems, ( Not IBS ) just not the greatest stomach. I was constipated, due to my period, when I found this in the drug store. It said it was gentle, so I thought I would give it a go. Took one pill around 1:00 am, after getting back from a cook out. Woke up at 5;00 with excruciating cramps, worse than menstrual cramps, that would not go away. Ran to the toilet and had the worse diarrhea of my life. This makes you go, but if you would like to venture to hell and back, be my guest. Never ever using this again."

Chika3535 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Let me preface this by saying that I am no stranger to pain and I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance. I have had PCOS and endometriosis since I was 14 and so I am no stranger to cramping. This however was the worst pain I have felt in my life. I was on the floor crying and yelling and considered going to the emergency room several times but I knew there was no way I could drive myself there. When I was finally able to get some relief everything that came out of my body was in liquid form. I have never experienced something like that in my life. The pain was so bad at points that I was dry heaving in the sink and sweating uncontrollably. I have never reviewed a drug before but I feel so strongly against it that it was necessary"

Anonymous2.0 August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "First time user. Bought Dulcolax and then came on to read reviews and was terrified. I was basically unable to sleep because of other user's accounts of stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea and had resigned myself for the worst night of my life. I am happy to say that I had a positive experience with this medicine. Took 2 tablets around 6.45 pm with a 16 oz. bottle of water and drank 2 more 16 oz. bottles subsequently. Around 10pm started to get gurgles in my stomach, but no pain or nausea. Around 3 am I did experience some cramps, but they were manageable and not too intense. Lasted around 15 mins and then I felt the urge to go. Passed stool easily within the next 15 mins."

drtsah (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "The first time I used this, it worked perfectly. I was severely constipated and took a few of these (I think maybe 3-4) and had a BM within about 7 hours. Second time I used them, it was horrible. I was not as severely constipated, so I took 2 of these at 8 am. Nothing happened all day. I did have a bit of crampy-colicky pain and nausea though (this should have been a warning to me). I was desperate in the evening (8 pm) so I took 3 more. Within about 30 minutes, I was having extreme crampy-colicky pain and nausea. I then had extreme explosive diarrhea and vomiting the rest of the night and was tied to the toliet. In addition, I got chills and body aches from dehydration. It was horrible. I am never taking this medicine again."

Kate000000 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Worked perfect 12 hrs after using it. I've used it on a few occasions for colonoscopy prep but this time was severe constipation. Stay hydrated and eat in between bathroom sessions!"

Guy13 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I took 2 pills around 11am and now I am experiencing severe cramping , I just vomited as well worst feeling ever.. I only had one BM so far but didn't expect I was going to feel this way ... Never trying this stuff again big mistake smh"

Anonymous July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I am a 20 year old female and I suffered with IBS all my life. I went to the GP a few weeks ago after trying everything I could get my hands on (including some super strong liquid laxatives) with hardly any luck. The doctor prescribed me these to take on a daily basis (one at night before bed with a glass of water). I must admit I was a bit sceptical at first, and the first 2-3 days I had horrendous stomach cramps that left me almost doubled over in pain, but I decided to persist and I'm so glad I did. Every morning I go to the toilet without any problems, but the toilet trips got a bit to excessive so I now take one tablet every two days and this works perfectly fine for me."

Lollypop4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "This is a hideous medicine! Do not try this useless stuff. The pain and cramps that last almost eternity are not worth it. Just do not try it."

Gerome18763 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I took 3 around 4:40 pm when I got off of work, I drunk 2, 16.9oz water bottles, started walking around for 20 minutes and I had the worst stomach pain, and then they stopped. Around 8:15pm, I started experiencing the urge to GO and I had to rush to a bathroom. Around 4:30am the next morning I woke up with the worst stomach pains and I thought I was going to vomit. I drunk a small amount of water, walked around my room for a while, did a few stomach exercises, and soon the pains became BMs and after 3 movements, I just hope it's over. Ducolax stomach cramps, menstrual stomach cramps, both wake you up in the middle of the night, and you can't go back to sleep"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I've been constipated for a week. I bought it because it says gentle. Just took 4 pills as got so desperate. Now I am reading reviews and realizing that I made was a huge mistake. My bf joked that I can be on the next episode Untold Stories of the ER. :-( Please pray for me to survive this night!!!"

GracyLu July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I took one dulcolax around 5:30pm with a glass of water and a sandwich and came online here preparing for the worst time of my life. Hadn't gone in 5 days and was starting to feel a bit of pressure/discomfort. About 2 hrs later, one solid (but slightly softer) BM comes and goes and now 5 hours post pill, the only effect I'm dealing with is a grumbly stomach and very mild cramping, no more than a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. I feel 50x better and this mild post-pill/post BM discomfort is definitely worth it given the huge relief. 6-12 hours to work? More like 1.5-2. My suggestion would be to drink a good amount of water with it and eat if possible, and start with just one pill! I'm a 105 lb female, 20 yrs old. Don't take 2-3 at once!"

ladymegh July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "DON'T DO IT! I admit after taking 2 separate single pill doses the first day with no relief not even gas, the next morning I took 3 because it says take 1-3! The violent, stabbing, blinding cramps from this stuff is no where near worth the relief of the bowel movement. Along with the pain was dry heaving, sweats, dizziness. It was still horribly difficult to pass BMs and they were rock solid. No softening effects. This should only be prescribed by an MD when a patient is at risk of death secondary to constipation, because nothing else is worth taking these pills. Worst and scariest pain of my life. Can't believe they have the nerve to put gentle on the box to sell it. Shameless. NEVER again."

Anonymous93548 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Awful stomach cramps, the worst experience I've ever had with a laxative."

Boysie1984 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Hi I'm a 33 year old female with endometriosis and full hysterectomy and no gallbladder. I took it last night at about 9pm and had my first bm at 5 am. I was able to go back to sleep after. Some cramping but nothing I can't handle. No worse than child birth or endometriosis pain. Plus much rather be empty and not all backed up with poo you know. I have been going to the bathroom all day but it is no longer uncomfortable, it is just liquid. Just staying at home and hanging out at the pool and staying hydrated. And I feel much more relief than I did yesterday. My bm are further and further apart as the day goes on and I get closer to the 24 hour mark."

Girlwithnothingleft (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I decided to give Dulcolax a go after looking for constipation relief. I took 2 pills at 6pm, I got up the next morning I got up and felt fine, within 10 mins I needed the toilet urgently, it wasn't a pleasant experience, it was literally water. Then 10-15 mins after I had another 3 similar bowel movements. I experienced mild cramps before each movements, and felt a little sick and hot. After an hour or so it calmed down. I did have stinky wind throughout the day. I would recommend you only have one pill to start with and see how it works. It says LAX on the end of the name, it IS definitely a laxitive. I wouldn't take this if you are going out the next day, just incase "

Suzi_Lou July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Must take 2-3 pill every night in order to have a bowel movement but it's never solid but I can't go otherwise"

Law4west July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Took 2 tablets at 9PM, went to sleep at midnight and woke up in excruciating pain at 3am! The times now is 3:50AM and I'm writhing in pain, shaking and feeling like I'm going to vomit. I rushed to the toilet thinking I was going to have a bm only to find I didn't it was only gas. I'm never using these again. I hope this cramping pain and terrible nausea will subside soon as I can't sleep."

Anonymous June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "55 male 6' 265. Doing colonoscopy prep. Only clear liquids today. Had a small soft stool twice in the afternoon. Took 2 Dulcolax at 4 pm. Drank 64 oz Gatorade with generic Miralax (the whole bottle of powder). Movements began in earnest about 6-630. Its 720 now and I think the worst of it is over. Basically camped in the bathroom in a chair because it seemed I wouldn't make it. Wearing nothing but a winter gown in the summer because I got cold, and I'm almost never cold. I'm supposed to take two more later, but I think that's it for me. Don't know what else could come out. I don't even want to drink any more liquid, but I'm diabetic and take two meds that make me pee more. So happy I have a kitchen sprayer hooked up to my toilet to wash."

Robby222 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I'm convinced that the only people that give good reviews of this stuff are the people that work at the company that makes it. I have taken so many other laxatives with no issues but this one not so much. The cramps were excruciating and the sweating was insane. This product should be taken off the market."

Anonymous June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I had not had a BM in 8 days, I've never taken lax before so I chose this because it said 'gentle' on the box. The directions said 1-3 so I took 2, got on here to read the reviews and I honestly got scared and prepared myself for a horrible night. Nothing happened. I took 2 around 8 pm and around 10 pm or so I started getting mild cramps but honestly my period cramps were worse than that. I fell asleep around midnight thinking I would be rudely woken up in the middle of the night but I slept right through the night no problem and woke up at 10 am. Still no BM or even the urge to go. So then I took a third one, drank some coffee - and finally!! BM. I've had three so far and I'm still going out my day as usual."

TheGirlWhoCanNeverPoop (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "Pt 1. I had be constipated for 5 days. I wasn't too worried until I developed a large mass near my belly button, nausea, and overall malaise. First I tried a liquid suppository and it did not work, my gut bomb didn't move. I decided to take 3 dulcolax, but before reading any of these reviews. 3 hours after taking the pills my stomach cramps started. They didn't hurt too bad and I could visibly see the poop mass moving. 4 hours in I'm in agony, these are the worse cramps I've had in entire life. With each cramp I'm able to pass one small marble of stool. By 5.5 hours, I'm shaking, vomiting, cold sweating, and during heaves can now push out 2 small marbles at a time. I'm so dizzy and faint that I opt to lay on the bathroom floor."

LE3012 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Took this with phosphosoda for my colonoscopy prep. 6:45pm I took 45ml phosphosoda. Then at 8:45pm took 4pcs of 5mg bisacodyl dolculax as instructed. Around 9pm I started visiting the toilet and stayed there for like ages. Probably the result of phosphosoda since its also a laxative. I knew dolculax will hit me harder later on. I only went out when someone wants to use the toilet. I wore adult diapers before exiting just to be sure enough, because I can't hold the poop inside. Just slips out of my butt without control. Then the worst happened. Around midnight I felt severe stomachaches. The discharge are almost all water and are discharged as if from a pressurized water hose. My butt burns also. Can't touch it. Luckily all is well at 6am."

Nolenrey June 15, 2017