User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Bowel Preparation 15 reviews 114 medications

6.1
Constipation 305 reviews 244 medications

5.7
Summary of Dulcolax reviews 320 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Dulcolax

For Constipation "Took this pill around 11 am and at 2 pm realized it wasn't working so I took another one the day past and I had diarrhea a few times now it's 8 in the morning and my stomach is hurting a lot. It does its job but the pain may not be worth it for some"

Divu (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

For Constipation "I read the instructions carefully....very very carefully. I didn't have any kind of dairy within an hour before taking the pills, I didn't take any antacids before taking the pills and I took 3 because it said it was safe and it had been weeks since my last bm and I was really uncomfortable. If I could go back in time and not take them, I would. I'm in terrible pain, gut wrenching, screaming in the bathroom, thinking I'm going to pass out and thanking God that the babysitter is on her way to save the day. I will NEVER take these again! Ouch!!"

I think I'm dying (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

For Constipation "I broke my tailbone and was constipated because of it. Because it hurt too bad to try and poop. So i decided to take dulcolax, i took 2. It definitely works. But terrible terrible pain is followed. I did not have any dairy all i had was water and a bit of broth. This isn't me being dramatic it was the worst pain I've been in ..in a very long time. And i gave natural birth. Just like many other people i had cramps, sweating, and felt as if i would vomit but didnt. And towards 4am my anus felt like it was spitting out lava. Im never taking this again. Sticking to apple juice which takes longer to work but works without the pain."

Mybumisdestroyed (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "A first time user, I took two little orange pills and experienced the worst abdominal pain, ever. I once terminated a colonoscopy that was underway on me with no anesthesia (long story), and this pain equaled that. My thanks to you fellow website contributors who gave me confidence to avoid the emergency room after searching on "Dulcolax cramps." The extreme pain lasted at least an hour; it subsided gradually over the next 5 hours. Have someone aware of what you're going through, and be safe about possibly passing out. I did not pass out. (Age 67/male.)"

Horrible Abdominal Pain/Over July 19, 2016

For Constipation "Awful. Took the medication before bed as directed by the box, and woke in the middle of the night to extreme stomach pain and nausea. I spent several hours lying on the bathroom floor, feeling like I may die. It cleared up the constipation, but it went from one extreme to another. This is not worth it! I would way rather be constipated!!"

CrampyCindy July 19, 2016

For Constipation "Does not work, worthless, garbage,"

Georgegg July 16, 2016

For Constipation "After experiencing some mildly unpleasant urgent diarrhea with miralax and horrible explosive diarrhea on Linzess, doc suggested ducolax. Bad idea. Took 6 hours to work, as the box suggested. Woke me up with impending doom pain. Had a normalish bm before puking up the dinner I had two hours prior to dosing. Then the diarrhea began. 3 rounds so far and I'm not stepping too far away from the toilet. I have decided that miralax is not at all inconvenient compared to ducolax, and will be switching back."

Oh it's effective alright (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

For Constipation "So I'm 30 , I took two tablets for constipation with dinner and water and went to bed around 9 pm. I woke at 1 am in horrific pain ... These were the regular little orange tablets . Never again next time I'll stick with milk of mag or something that specifically says cramp free ."

Restroom bound July 13, 2016

For Constipation "Well I took Ducolax without reading the packaging, I thought it was a quick fix you know, take it and instant relief but I'm an idiot. I ate dairy (cheese with my pasta) and had Lemon in my water. So I'm going to be in pain. I haven't done the #2 in a few days and I have lower back abdominal pain and I feel bloated, so I figured it's the weekend and I have a few hours to spare before I go out (about 2hr) so I just canceled my plans. But READ THE GODDAMN PACKAGING. I am dying over the comments though, so funny lol."

Savannah Georgia July 8, 2016

For Constipation "I've been taking Dulcolax whenever I get constipated. It only takes about 20 min for the drug to take effect on me but sometimes, longer. It has worked well for me. I did get cramps but they were totally bearable. It works differently for ech person. I suggest that if you wanna try it, just brace yourself and give it a chance."

Hellothere3528181 July 5, 2016

For Constipation "I took one Dulcolax tablet last night at 19:00. Woke at 01:45 with the most horrendous stomach cramps, sweating profusely, nausea followed by 5 bouts of vomiting. My whole inside felt as though it was on fire, even childbirth was not as painful. At one point I thought my husband was going to have to call for an ambulance. I have lost count of the number of BM's I have had during the day/night, just running out non stop. I will never take another Dulcolax, I have thrown the packet out and would not wish this experience on anyone. I have wasted a day in my life in bed that I will never get back!"

Zippy Badger (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

For Constipation "I was severely constipated for 4 days. I took 2 dulcolax and it took around 9 hours to work. I had no major cramps like other people. I made sure I was well hydrated and was so relieved when I got relief from my constipation It is an excellent medicine my thoughts as to why others suffered severe abdominal pain is that they were not really constipated that much or they had taken it to clean out their system. I will definitely recommend it to others."

letterbox June 27, 2016

For Constipation "Took three pills (I'm an adult) last night and nothing happened. That was to be expected, most reviews I had read said a couple hours later it would kick in Cue to this morning, about three hours ago. I woke up cramping and hurting and squirming in my bed like a wounded animal, clutching at my stomach because It felt like I was shot. Eventually I get up and move to the bathroom, nothing happens. So I sat and waited, tried a little and succeeded some, but cramping came in and out in waves which just made it worse for me. While on the phone with my parents, I hang up and it instantly happened. My BM was quick, almost painless, but most importantly it happened. So, it worked, but be weary of the pain that can induce when you use this!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Constipation "I beg of everyone to think twice before taking this pill. I am 20 years old and took one of these a couple years ago after being constipated for a week, and remember laying on my stomach holding onto my bed for dear life with all four limbs- swearing I would never take one again. I proceeded to go to the bathroom for hours- in pain unlike anything else is experienced. This month, I was on vacation and had barely gone to the bathroom for 24 days!! So I decided I'd try this before going to the doctor! I woke up last night with such bad stomach cramps almost not making it to the toilet before throwing up and pooping myslef at once!!! Puking black stuff up- which I am still very confused about!! I have not moved from bed all day, sick as a dog!"

Jilly Babay June 24, 2016

For Constipation "I took this because I was having an ultrasound the next day and my doctor wanted me reasonably cleaned out. I took 2 tabs at 8pm. I woke at 4am with bad stomach cramps. I moved into the bathroom for the next hour, where I experienced crippling stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting (mostly dry heaves as my stomach was fairly empty. I actually thought about calling 911. That bad! I was burning up and sweating profusely - and I typically never sweat. It was the worst I've ever felt in my 56 years. The product worked. Several hours later I'm still with some diarrhea, and the other symptoms are somewhat better, but I'm never, ever taking this poison again!"

Never. Again. (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

For Constipation "It's honestly not as as all of the reviews, I have taken dulcolax a few times now. Yes I get the cramps, and I get nauseated, I get the shakes, and the sweats but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I took one tablet my first time and it didn't make any movement for me. So I took two after a few days and worked well for me. I did take it at night so I woke up needing to use the restroom. You will be caught off guard, my suggestion is to make sure you are home when you take it and make sure you aren't doing anything that day and no work, I think it is the best time to take it on your day off so you can feel more relaxed at home."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

For Constipation "Okay so I did the worst possible thing and not read the packaging. Thought they where an instant fix not hours so when after half hour I took the first one and nothing I took another two. And then after an hour another two. I repeat. READ THE PACKAGING. Two hours later I had the worst diarreah of my life visiting a sick relative. Since then which was 7 hours ago I haven't been able to get up off the toilet. These work but please don't be an absolute idiot like I was and take that many. There is nothing left to come out of me but it's still coming. It feels like Satan is trying to rip my heart out through my anus."

Tooktoomany (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

For Constipation "After dealing with stress induced constipation for many weeks, I began looking to laxatives for release. Suppositories were not effective for me, so I gave Dulcolax a try after 3 days with no BM. All was well, no cramping or anything for the whole night. It did cause me to have extremely watery BMS (3 or 4) by 7am next day. This was 1 capsule, I think. After a week with no bathroom success and a weekend trip...I took it again. This time I took 2. I figured it had been 7 days, might as well. I took it at 10 though 10pm. By 3am I'd had 5bms, and violent vomiting. Beginning to sweat, very hot, heart is racing, hands are shaking. The cramping in unbearable. If id hadmy phone, I would have called 911. It works, but never again. Oh my."

Oh God Why (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2016

For Constipation "I ate a whole box of vita wheat crackers last night without drinking much water and i payed the price for it today. Normally i undergo a bowel movement at least once a day, but after not passing anything yesterday morning due to being rushed for time, and struggling to pass anything this morning, I took one dulcolax pill at 11 am this morning. By 3:30 pm the cramps had started. The cramps were the usual tummy cramps, but were not highly unpleasant. I bore the cramps until 3:45 when i finally went to the toilet. I was in and out of there in literally 1 minute. Dulcolax is very fast and effective. I think many people experience problems because they forget that you cannot consume dairy with the pill, as it will cause extreme tummy discomfort."

toomanycrackerslastnight (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2016

For Constipation "I have IBS (constipation dominant). It's been years since I've used a stimulant laxative as I have been able to "keep things moving" with other meds. Had a major problem, though, yesterday and was miserable. Took the highest dose (3 tabs) of Dulcolax at 9 p.m. yesterday. At 6 a.m. today, everything was wonderful again! Had diarrhea (to be expected), some cramping and a tad bit nauseated. I tell you, best help I've ever received for this type of problem. Everyone's body is different, so how it will help, not help, or effect each person is different. (Obvious from the reviews here.) But for me, wonderful relief within the time frame stated on the box with minimal side effects."

PamJ50 (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

For Constipation "You will likely have pain because you are constipated and pushing backed up stuff through. I've taken these for almost four years straight and they work. They do cause cramping so don't plan on not having any discomfort. Depending on your pain tolerance is going to determine if they are right for you. Good luck"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2016

For Constipation "Avoid like the plague, took two yesterday midday and woke up with the most unbelievable stomach ache I have ever had. Screaming in pain, hubby wanted to take me to hospital. Never felt anything like it, it was so bad I can't even put it into words, then came the nausea and then the vomiting. 2 hours later I am a crying mess and then finally got off to sleep. To add further insult there was no 'movement' and I have felt bloated and like I have been gut punched all day. Save yourself the agony and get some prune juice."

Bluebear3333333 June 5, 2016

For Constipation "This is the worst drug I have ever experienced one suppository and around fifty minutes later uncontrolled and painful bowel movements I collapsed and could not get up of the bathroom floor I was so light headed cramps constant need to pee be very wary of this drug it takes hours to recover"

Anonymous June 5, 2016

For Constipation "Took the gentle laxative on Thursday at noon and it's now Saturday at 7:40 am and I'm still sick to my stomach. It didn't work until around midnight Friday morning when I woke from a dead sleep from the unbearable stomach pain. Finally after sitting on the pot forever I went. It was not any better. I was still in a horrible amounts of pain. I thought I was done after about an hour on and off and laid down and got a little more sleep until 4 am rolled around and I had to go again cause the pain woke me up. This time I went a bunch and also vomited a bit. I NEVER throw up. I will never take this again. It works, but be prepared to feel like you're in hell and question whether it's worth it or not."

Thunderpoop (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016

For Constipation "This medicine is absolutely awful. I took it after surgery because I was constipated from pain medication. I ended up being in bed for a whole day and I couldn't move without throwing up. I thought it must be from the surgery. I got better and took another laxative a couple days later. Within an hour, I was having horrible diarrhea and vomiting. Totally not worth it. Geez. Horrible medicine."

Hannah.elizabeth June 3, 2016