User Reviews for Dulcolax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"I've had bowel problems for as long as I can remember, I'm 21 and I cannot go to the toilet. After trying nearly every constipation tablets, I found dulcolax and it is amazing, I take it and within 10-12 hours I'm pooping, the pains are bad but nothing compared to what I've had when having what I call a 'flare up of my illness. I take 2, I would never take 3 I would expect my body wouldn't be able to cope with so many, and 1 wouldn't be enough and I just get the cramps!"

Goosey15 February 16, 2018

"I have been on an antibiotic for 10 days for a sinus infection. However, I am prone to constipation and the antibiotic made it worse. I had not had a bowel movement in 12 days. I took 3 tablets at 7:30 p.m. About 2 hours later the pit of my stomach felt like I was being stabbed. Then the pain moved down to my intestines and I had the WORST cramps I've ever had. I got up and went to bathroom and tried to vomit. I sat on toilet. Nothing. I was so sick all I could do was lay on the bathroom floor. I finally woke up and had a huge BM. Now I am so weak and nauseous and bloated all I can do is lay down. I warn anyone the cramps made me feel like I was dying. I will NEVER take this again"

Looceeloo February 14, 2018

"Nooo noooo noooooo this was horrible I took ONE pill at 10 pm and by 4am I was in excruciating pain. Between horrendous stomach cramps I was vomiting , cold sweating and passing out. My neck also ached and my head felt extremely heavy . Yes it made me go but the rest makes it not worth it."

Syncox February 14, 2018

"I try using this twice at 3 pills dosage. Lower dosage simply don't work for me at all. Both experiences were memorable in the worst way of very bad food poisoning. Vomited 3 times in 2 hrs with severe stomach cramps with cold sweat and fainting like giving child birth until the EVERYTHING in the digestive system has been evacuated. Will stay away for life."

Gatorial (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"What a mistake I made! I took 1 tablet of the dulcolax pink. I hadn’t taken a bowel motion in almost 3 days. A few hours in and still nothing, so I took 2 more, drank some water and went to bed. Fast forward to 4 am and I’m experiencing the most excruciating cramps of my life. I’m sweaty and clammy and I feel like the pain is so intense I might vomit or pass out. I’m a grown woman and this had me balled up in bed moaning from the pain. I nearly fainted on the toilet. All this and barely any poop at all. Later around 7 am, I finally started to really go, but it’s not just soft Stool, it’s liquid. I guess it does what it’s supposed to do, but it is agonizing."

Totalmistake February 3, 2018

"Haven't pooped in 5 days so I decided to take 2 pills last night at 7pm and I woke up at 4 am because of the cramps. It wasn't that bad, it was bearable, cramps during menstruation is way worse. It's kind of funny to see guys here post how horrible cramps is lol. Dulcolax helped me with my constipation problem anyway."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

"Hadn’t had a proper bowel movement in 5 days. Went to the toilet Thursday night (1 on the Bristol stool chart) just two pieces following blood when wiping. Took 1 dulcolax tablet Friday at 5pm and only got cramps for about 1-2 minutes at 9pm that night which were severe. Got no bowel movement from it. It’s Sunday now and I took a tablet at 6 and hoping it’ll work."

Louise5471 January 14, 2018

"Took 1 pill at 6:00 pm for constipation and from feeling bloated after not going #2 for a few days, and felt fine until about 9:30 pm. Around 10:00 pm I started getting cramps. I’ve taken this pill a few times prior to this & never had an issue. But my cramps were so bad I was curled up in a ball. Finally I couldn’t take the pain anymore & I sat on the toilet and kinda pushed myself to go. Finally it worked. Even though the pill is effective and gets the job done, I sometimes ask myself if the cramping is even worth it. HORRIBLE pain ! But after I went to the bathroom the first time, the cramping went away. Now I’ve been going every few hours ."

Anonymous January 14, 2018

"Best ever solution to bad constipation. Hadn't had a movement in 8 days and tried all kinds of preparations. MiraLax, MoM, stool softeners, suppositories, enemas, Senna, ExLax, Magnesium Citrate etc. could not get me moving. A friend suggested I take 4 Dulcolax and sleep on it and Wow did it ever clean me out. Worked great."

The Dudeman January 13, 2018

"Took 2 of these and woke up a few hours later with horrendous cramps. I clung to my bed, it felt like my intestines were being tied and ripped out. Cramps came in waves, like a perverse rollercoaster. I crawled to the bathroom, only to faint off the toilet, vomit, faint again and then was unable to get up off the floor. Luckily my boyfriend was there to keep an eye on me and get me a blanket etc. I slept on the floor for a while, cramps eventually eased and I was able to go back to bed. But to add insult to injury, NO pooping! The damn stuff didn’t even do what it was supposed to!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

"This stuff is amazing I don’t know what pain and nausea these other reviews had. I have diverticuli and this stuff helps with constipation it works quick and I also suffer from hemorrhoids and it help them heal faster by helping me with the constipation . I can say you will feel discomfort and have a few trips to the washroom to clear everything out I felt great afterwards and huge relief I would recommend this to anyone with constipation and hemorrhoids and who have diverticuli as well if you are a new mom and constipated with hemorrhoids this will help ladies ."

Virgo911 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"Do not purchase this awful product to aid with constipation. Generally, I have a high pain threshold and with general laxatives I'm fine. But this is horrific. I took two tabs at 7pm and by 3.30am my upper stomach was burning like it was on fire, my lower belly was cramping severely to a point I thought I'd need to call in sick. Miraculously, it cleared out my system after thee visits to the bathroom. I'm currently at work with a dodgy stomach, but will throw the whole pack when I get home. It's awful!"

Genie121 January 5, 2018

"I took 2 about 4 hours ago and I’m currently on the toilet feeling like I’m in labor. I went to the emergency room today and got told to use this. I wish I still had those pains this morning rather than this. I feel like I’m about to throw up and I can’t get off the toilet"

NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICINE (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

"Unless you really enjoy severe stomach pains to the point where you can't even stand it please do not ever take this laxative. Honestly thought I was going to die. I went 9 days without a bowel movement and I took 2 pills last night and I woke up this morning and had a bowel movement, but it took me about 3 hours of excruciating pain to push it out. It's now over 12 hours after my BM and I'm still in pain. Not as much pain but it's still pretty bad. I will never take dolcalax again. Worst experience if my life"

Kief January 2, 2018

"My, oh my, what have I done. I took 2 of these things for painful constipation. Woke up giving childbirth to liquid poo. THE PAIN IS SO BAD. I had to take a zofran for the nausea because I was nearly puking. The best part is that it's been about 14 hours since I took the suckers and I'm still nauseated/ running to my toilet throne. And I got the pink version for "SENSITIVE STOMACHS." I'm only 18 I don't wanna die today. In conclusion if you love your life and your toilet consider an alternative option..... even though it DID get the job done..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

"I took two ,5 mg tablets. I woke up so weak, nauseous, cramping ,and could hardly breathe ( probably due to the fact that I was in so much pain) I passed out getting up from the toilet, I'll never recommend this to anyone. "

Lucylu12+_+$8$ December 30, 2017

"I agree and disagree with most people writing reviews. I’m on a cruise and because I was in a new environment and I wasn’t really getting my daily nutrition I hadn’t pooped in like 3-4 days. I felt awful and bloated so I took ONE of these pills. I have been well hydrated all day and aside from fairly intense stomach cramping (and diarrhea, but that’s expected) it worked great. I am also nauseous but I am on a ship, so that is a factor. The issue with a lot of people here is that they’re not hydrated and they’re taking multiple pills at once. I like to think that with new pills, you take one, and if after 6-ish hours nothing happens, you take another. Take this 6-ish hours before you know you can be on a toilet. Other than that it’s great!"

personwhoshallnotbenamed (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I've experienced constipation for 4 years, I could've skipped 3 day without bowel movement at all, but I peed a lot, I drunk a lot of water every single day for about 7.5 litres. While ate fibers didn't help me, I found out 3 month ago that my last (probably, hope not) chance would be dulcolax bisacodyl 5mg. I passed 9 days no bowel movement, and took one pill at 8 am, I go to the toilet at 3 p.m. All I could say I don't experience any major side effect, no vomiting, no headache, just moderate cramping on my stomach, a little bit hurt but not really bad at all. But I'm not really satisfied with the relieve this drug gave, for 9 days without bowel movement, I only went to the toilet once today with yellow color uniformed stool."

Josh Bernard (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

"Took before bed after 3 days with no substantial poo, at 4:30 am I awoke with a painful stomach and urge to poo. It certainly did the job clearing up my constipation but also made me feel like absolute rubbish the following day. Queasy stomach for hours, headache, and that lovely feeling you get when you know you're about to vomit. Had to leave work before lunch because I felt that rough. I've only had 3 days off sick in over 3 years so you know its bad if I'm not working. The moral of the story is to never ever take this stuff. Constipation is far better than this experience."

Markhar December 14, 2017

"I have been experiencing constipation for many years. My doctor reccomended Miralax and Ducalax recently. Not reading all of the reviews and hazards I just bought the medicine. I only took 1 tablet for 1 day. More than 2 hours later I was feeling some horrible, horrible cramps and pain in the stomach. Took many trips to the bathroom and the pain wasn’t going away. Worst cramps I’ve ever felt. I don’t recommend this. Please try to stay away"

T K D December 9, 2017

"Do NOT take this PLEASE :( I'm going to be totally honest and say I was only mildly constipated, and took 2 tabs, 1-3 being suggested dose. Have taken other laxatives before no problems at all. Oh my GOD. I took it around 9pm, with food, plenty of liquids, & went to bed. Was awake at midnight, 3, 4, 6AM in absolute agony, cramps like I've never felt, severe nausea. Also made me vomit, probably from the cramping / spasms. Yes it had the "desired effect" but no WAY was it worth that level of agony over the 12 hours. Please just see a doc and get something better."

Yikes_omg (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2017

"I will never take this again! I took 2 of the Dulcolax Pink intended for women and sensitive stomachs at 8pm. By 4am I had diarrhea and SEVERE cramping, I felt like I was being kicked in the stomach repeatedly. My S/O was about to take me to the hospital but I convinced him to try and let me deep breathe through it. It's now 8am and I'm still in crazy amounts of pain. Sitting on the pot as I write this review, would not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2017

"I experienced constipation and bought this because it said it was so gentle said take one two three. I mistakenly took three thinking that I had a serious situation was going to be gentle. Within 1 hour and 50 minutes I had severe cramps sweating and massive diarrhea that was at 6 last night it started it is 11:40 a.m. the next day and I am still experiencing cramping sweating and complete liquid diarrhea. Needless to say I will not be using this product again however to anyone please only take one maybe two max. I could never take three and make sure you have nowhere to go for like 24 hours"

Regretful December 1, 2017

"I have used dulcolax in many ways. I’ve has an anal fissure for around 3 weeks now, and taking a single dulcolax before bed (~10pm) causes my BM’s to be soft enough to pass the next morning without pain. I also get mild to severe constipation on occasion, and after not having a BM for 4 days, I knew something was wrong. I took 3 dulcolax at 9pm and woke up at 4:30am to pass a not at all painful, but fairly liquidy stool with minimal nausea and cramping. As long as you stay hydrated then this medication works as you need it to."

Releived (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

"I can't go on my own, was on 580mg of linzess. Linzess didn't work for me, I started using dulcolax and linzess started to having bowel movement! No diarrhea! So then Doctor took me off of Linzess, I take 1 dulcolax in morning 2 in afternoon been doing this for about six months! It not perfect but I'm better!"

Help8899 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017