User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 185 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"I usually never have issues going to the bathroom but I was having awful knee pain and needed to take pain medication, which in turn, back me up very much. I have never taken any kind of laxative or stool softener so I was a little nervous. I had read reviews and saw some really good ones and some really awful ones. I was so back up from not going to the bathroom for about a week so I decided to just take a chance. Anything was better than the pain from the constipation. I bought Dulcolax Pink. I took one pill and went to bed. About 12 hours later, I still had not gone to the restroom. So, I decided to take another pill and about 5 hours later, I ended up going. I had very little cramping and no other side effects. I highly recommend"

Eliza1991 September 27, 2016

"This is a terrible drug! Yea it works but are you kidding me, I felt like I was going to die. I took this when I woke up around 730am and then 9:35am hits and my stomach starts hurting so bad, then 20 minutes later it really starts hurting.. So bad I start thinking to myself "am I giving birth?", Is this really happening to me? I wanted to die, I really wanted to die. I ran to and from the bathroom from 9:30am to around 12pm. I finally went and it was a lot. The whole time I went through the terrible stomach pains I was praying and having other people pray for me. I urge you to not take this medication there is something seriously wrong with it, ITS NOT WORTH IT. I am serious, please try to take something else. This medication is not good!!"

Anonymous September 25, 2016

"You haven't lived until you have tried Dulco...OMG this has to be the most sophisticated drug ever made for constipation. The pain is worse than a woman's labour. I've been using this drug now for about 7-8 years and only when I absolutely need to. The trick is to drink at least 2 to 3 liters of water with the pills. And the pain is so mild. If you just drink a glass of water, expect to dance from the pain. So I advise anyone taking this pill to drrrrink lots of water. It takes about 6 hours to work. Secondly, dont go anywhere when you dtake it. I used to take 3 at about 2pm at work, by the time I got home at 6 or 7 I was ready to do battle. Continued use of this drug is dangerous and can cause I think palpitations. Drink lotsa water!"

Liriel September 24, 2016

"I suffer from slow transit constipation and can go three weeks without a movement. Dulcolax is the only laxative I have found to work but it's one hell of a ride. I've had two babies and the pain caused by dulcolax at times will rival labour. It's not always that bad, stomach cramps are a given as its a stimulant laxative but holy Jesus the sweats, shakes, palpitations and dizziness that can happen are an experience. 10/10 for effectiveness..... Take a deep breath and remember in a few hours it will all be over"

Don't leave the house September 19, 2016

"Omg never taken this again gi doctor told me take along with Merlex and so took 2 tabs with Merlex two days in row today had worst burning in my stomach hurt burn and feeling nauseated omg am like am work ugh.. then had bad bm at work the 2 more bm's at home never again."

L23 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

"I may give this a high rating, but believe me it wasn't pleasant. Constipated and only passed extremely hard small stool for 5 days (been going through stomach issues for 2 months). Took 2 pills at 8pm, and at midnight the waterfall started. And to think I was going to roll over and try and go back to sleep at first."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2016

"I would never in my life take this again. The pain agony sweats light headed was horrific. I feel sorry for the person who takes this if they experience what I did."

Never again. September 10, 2016

"I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and have been all messed up since then. I hadn't went in 3 days so I got the dulcolax for sensitive stomachs and took 2 at about 7pm. At about 10pm I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it! I was doubled over for 2 hours and did not have an easy BM. I tried to lay down to sleep at about 12 but was so dizzy and still feeling cramps that there was no way I could sleep. Sensitive stomach my ass! I will never take this again. It is not worth the pain."

Backedup (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

"I am a teenager. I had acl reconstruction surgery recently and my pain meds caused constipation. I tried this drug and yes it was effective but the after effects were AWFUL. I have never experienced stomach pain like that before. (well, that one time I ate way too many Buffalo Wild Wings was a close second) NEVER AGAIN!!"

Anna Jay (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

"This medicine is very effective, I use it regularly. I take two before bed with lots of water and usually wake up to a BM. Just make sure you don't leave the house. Last night I took two, and by 10am I still Hadn't had a BM, so just thought it had t worked. Got in the car with friends, started driving to the beach. Half hour in I got excruciating pains, doubled over in the car, nausea, no services so my friends had to pull over the car and watch me run to the side of the road, hoist up my dress, and make a huge mess at the side of the road. This happened four times on the journey before I was finally done. Never been so humiliated in all my life."

LadyMucky September 2, 2016

"I have a number of bowel related issues: hemorrhoids, constipation, and constipation made even worse with Wellbutrin (antidepressant.) Sometimes I don't go for 5-7 days and I start to worry I have impacted bowels. I also recently started dieting and I go naturally every 7 days. When I start to worry about not having a movement in awhile and the poop getting stuck or impacted, I take one of these babies before I sleep. In the morning I need to go!! I agree with others though that it can cause diarrhea like poop. It seems my poop starts normal at first, but then it turns to diarrhea. I think after the pill is done working with the first round, the effects are still there when there isn't food to work with, and it causes diarrhea."

The Fuzzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

"So I was constipated for over a week ...had tried senna tablets and had no movement. Reluctantly brought dulcolax and after reading reviews only took one. Nothing happened but I did wake up in the middle of the night with cramps. Took another the nest day about 5pm and then to be sure took another at 8pm. Woke up with bad cramps about 7 am and spent most of the day in bed with a wheat bag. The pain is bad. At 3pm I finally had some relief although not the great flood like other reviews say ...not yet anyway. I thought I'd post this in case someone else feels like theyre the only one with it not working ...the pain was worth it!"

BloatedBelly August 27, 2016

"wow! dulcolax is amazing! i hadn't had a bowel movement in 1 week. i had a huge impacted stool just lodged in my anus. it was so hard that it felt like a stabbing pain. i took one tablet of dulcolax (5mg) in the morning around 9am with lots of water and by 10:30 am, I went to the toilet to try again and the stool had softened up and came out easily. i had one more soft bowel movement in the evening before i felt completely cleared out. no abdominal pain, no side effects i see on here."

collm23 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"I don't know where to begin. Yes it was very effective, but I don't know if it's worth going through the traumatizing process. I only took 2 tablets at 11pm bc I got home pretty late. Around 3am I woke up from insane pain and burning in my stomach. It was so bad, the only way I can really express what I feel is by saying it hurt so bad I wanted to die. I was running to bathroom because pain caused nausea. I still couldn't go so I just went back to sleep. I woke up 2 hours later from extreme cramps was able to go to bathroom but let's just say it was not pretty and I was really sure I was going to die. So yes very affective but not something I will ever do again."

Thatgirlru August 22, 2016

"I recently went on a 10 day vacation to Jamaica and only had I bm there, and since I've been back only 1 bm so I'm extremely constipated. I had stomach pains and felt like I need to go but could never finish the job so I decided to try ducolax. I took it last night around 830 and woke up at 430 with horrible stomach pains like I wanted to cry but I didn't feel the need to go. I found that laying on my stomach gave me some relief so I was able to fall back asleep. Woke up this morning with the same pain but still nothing this was a bit frustrating but an hour later I had my first bm, from these comments I'm expecting more but I feel better already. I didn't experience sweats, chills, or nausea so I'd say this works well besides the cramps"

Ronnae (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

"I took just one tablet of this monstrous drug and I have not shat my brains out like that since I had food poisoning. There I sat, arms clenching my stomach, head between my knees, defecating all of my pride in endless burning blows. My face was grimanced as war flashbacks from that one bad hotdog I ate at that sketchy waterpark coursed through my mind. All I could think of in that moment was "this is how I die. My parents are gonna find me doubled-over, covered in my own shit, their toilet obliterated and their favorite child dead." If you have any desire to force yourself through hours of grueling spats of gas and shit, this is for you. Hope you've got some Desitin."

Noranor August 16, 2016

"Have been backed up for a few weeks. Doctor prescribed taking 2 of these 2x a day along with taking MiraLax 2x a day. I took both, THEN started reading reviews. I think I'm going to die, but if I live I will write another review. Terrified based on these reviews condsidering I took 2 + another laxative. Update: Took 2 pink pills at 8:00pm. Didn't feel anything until 9:00 - Went about every 45 minutes or so from 9:00 until midnight At midnight I started having cramping and slight heart palpations. Nothing too bad but freaked me out and couldn't fall asleep. Shaking and cold. From what I've read it gets bad after 6 hours so still 2 hours to go..."

TerrifiedOMG August 14, 2016

"I chugged 2 litres of water with 2 pills. 5"3 115 pounds. Took it at 8pm, worked by 4am with very minor cramps. Cramps went away after each BM. Definitely worked. Didn't leave bathroom next day though so don't make plans."

saerebe (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

"Like everyone else is saying it was the worst experience of my life taking this over the counter drug. I tend to have a medicine senestivity so I took one instead of suggested adult dose three tablets. Like everyone else here I started getting horrible cramps within an hour, which was odd because knowing I was going to take this at 9 pm I'd been drinking about 8 oz of water since 7 pm on the hour. Within an hour of this drug in my system I began vomiting . And I was thankful for that because at least I was getting it out of my body. I vomited three times before midnight and went to bed queasy and sweaty. The next morning I did have a normal bowel movement but it was not worth the added vomiting. Where was this on the side effects!"

Jenny GK August 5, 2016

"Took 5mg of dulcolax going to bed at 10pm. Woke at 4 with excruciating abdominal cramps, then started having heart palpitations, sweats , nausea, worse pain than childbirth .....then I fainted ! Woke up on the tiled bathroom floor with 4 children looking at me thinking I was dead....have a head injury from the bang on the tilled floor, soiled myself cos I hadn't the energy to lift myself to the toilet seat...profuse diarrhoea for 30 minutes ....bed ridden for 6 hours after the faint.....NEVER again will I take this medicine...on the bottle it says "for gentle relief of constipation " .....nothing could be further from the truth. I'm actually traumatised."

Siobhan o Marley August 2, 2016

"I tend to suffer regular bouts of constipation and have found that Miralax and other powder-based laxatives have had little effect. I decided to give Dulcolax a shot while on a trip as it was very uncomfortable to be so bloated while doing some strenuous activities. I took three tablets (I'm 6'5" 250 lbs and usually take max dose) on Friday at 7PM. Between HORRIBLE cramps, chills, cold sweets, weakness, and constant runs, I felt like I had taken the pill-form of food poisoning. It is now Monday at 11 AM and I am still unable to eat anything without it going straight through me. This is not worth it, and Dulcolax should not be advising people to EVER take three of these. Awful experience."

Pay The Brown Price August 1, 2016

"Ok so this gets an 8 because it was effective. HOWEVER, it's an AWFUL experience that I don't recommend to anyone!! The pain is unbelievable. You will sit on the toilet for hours wondering what went wrong in life to bring you to this point. If your doctor tells you to take it, you better make sure they've prescribed some zofran for you because you're going to need it."

Jclzz August 1, 2016

"i take this every other month when i get constipated, took one last night because i didn't have a bm or 5 days, figured it would be like all my other dulcolax experiences, just bearable cramps and stuff, but I WAS WRONG. I woke up at around 11 with the worst stomach cramps ever, i barely made it to the toilet, no bm, just the cramps. I started to sweat buckets I'm not even kidding, like the sweat just dripped like i just finished an hour of interval training. sat for around 20 mins w/ nothing but the PAIN thought i was gonna die. the weird part tho was that i fell asleep (or maybe passed out idk) i just woke up and felt like I slept for 30 mins. thought it was over but got another wave of cramps and then finally had bm."

notworththepain July 30, 2016

"Took this pill around 11 am and at 2 pm realized it wasn't working so I took another one the day past and I had diarrhea a few times now it's 8 in the morning and my stomach is hurting a lot. It does its job but the pain may not be worth it for some"

Divu (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

"I read the instructions carefully....very very carefully. I didn't have any kind of dairy within an hour before taking the pills, I didn't take any antacids before taking the pills and I took 3 because it said it was safe and it had been weeks since my last bm and I was really uncomfortable. If I could go back in time and not take them, I would. I'm in terrible pain, gut wrenching, screaming in the bathroom, thinking I'm going to pass out and thanking God that the babysitter is on her way to save the day. I will NEVER take these again! Ouch!!"

I think I'm dying (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016