User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 194 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"The first time using this product was after having not gone for about 5 days. Needless to say, I was a little desperate to get something that worked. I took 3 pills which were effective within 3 hours, accompanied with pretty bad stomach cramps but nothing I couldn't handle. After having the same problem I decided to try dulcolax again, having it been successful the last time. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only did it take almost 16 hours to start working, it came with severe nausea and cramps before any success. It's been a day and I still can barely eat without experiencing serious diarrhea! I'm definitely not constipated anymore but it wasn't worth constant bathroom trips at school. Only use if you're ok with the side effect, and ONLY TAKE ONE"

Joey Bennett (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried everything from magnesium citrate to even an enema! Nothing worked until I tried dulsolax! It worked 6 hrs after I took it with lots of drinking water and it cleaned me out! I didn't take it overnight, I took it during the day while I was still active and the cramps were not too bad!"

Carolina2017 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dulcolax has helped but I agree it comes with stomach cramps. For fast relief of constipation yet I feel much easier on the stomach is magnesium citrate. Find it in anywhere. I have also found it very helpful if you feel you have a hard stool to pass. It may take hours but eventually it will break down stool which I find to the point it's not terribly painful to pass. For regular constipation the results are usually very quick. For hard stool it may take a good portion of your day but if you can take the time to plan on being near the bathroom because you will pass other stools before you pass the hard stool and eventually the hard stool will breakdown."

FLG April 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible DO NOT TAKE THIS. Took it at 7 woke up with nausea, cramps, and kidney pain. Had a teenie tiny bowel movement and am now wide awake. "

Meow123456789 April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible product I took it at night about 7pm woke up with stomach hurting by 4am went to use bathroom but all that happened was major cramps and stomach in so much pain it was seriously as bad as labor contractions I was in so much pain I ended up throwing up three times because this pain came and go non-stop for about 4 1/2 hours worst pain ever. I did have a couple bowel motions but seriously not worth the horrible stomach pain and cramping, throwing up and sweating because of it. Better off trying magnesium. My stomach region is now a day later still sore."

Not worth it April 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband got this for me since I haven't been pooping that well lately. He told me it was better than any others, because you don't get stomach cramps. WRONG. I took 2 a couple of hours ago, and now, my stomach is in the worst pain ever. Thankfully, I have had a BM, but I don't think I will ever take Dulcolax again because of the severe pain."

TattooedGirl April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Update: drank 1 tablet at 8:30pm with lots of water and went to bed. Woke up with severe cramps at 3:30am followed by a BM. Had some serious cramps for about 5 more hours. Had 1 liquid BM. Then I took buscopan because the pain is no longer tolerable. After an hour, no more cramps. I can eat and drink normally again. Very effective but the side effect is very traumatizing."

mijp April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Due to a bacteria which caused traveller diarrhea for like two weeks I had to take very strong antibiotics to get rid of it. Unfortunately, I then couldn't go to the toilet anymore for 4 days. On the 5th day I took one pill at 4pm, woke up at 4am in the morning with really painful stomach cramps, but couldn't go to the toilet. At around 8am the pain was almost unbearable and I felt sick and didn't know if I had to vomit whilst I was sitting on the toilet. Worked eventually but only 16 hours later with a lot of pain in the hours beforehand. It does its job but you have to accept the pain which comes with it."

Traveller1989 April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish I would have read the reviews first !!!!! Horrible !!!! As I'm sitting on the toilet about to pass out !!! Horrible nausea cramps and dizziness !! Gets the job done but dang !! I'd rather be constipated !"

ashers11 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took dulolax at midnight & got rudely awoken at 6am with the worst cramps & urge to go to the toilet, it was a horrific experience I've never felt so ill going to the toilet, it was like chocolate milk yuck!! I think my body was in pure shock as it took me 2 days to recover, I lost my appetite & slept a whole after my bowels had been emptied."

Aprily (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"These tiny little pills definitely get the job done. I'm a 110lb female and the first time I took 3 tablets I didn't experience any of the cramping and nausea that people are describing, but a good amount of waste elimination. The next time I took 2 tablets every few days until the 8 pack of tablets was gone. One of those days I did get some sweating, cramping and light-headedness, but for what looked like A POUND of impacted waste that came out of me one day it was well worth it. The waste was so impacted that I smelled myself. I feel much better now."

unplugged April 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Read the instructions but decided that 2 might be too much for me, needed something to relive the constipation. Took 1 pill and it worked in less than 2 hours, I could feel abdominal pain, fluctulance and burping in the first hour, the pain wasn't too severe as I was lying on my bed. On my 2nd hour, I could feel the pain getting worse and I felt like going to the toilet. The instructions told me that it works in at least 6 hours. didn't think it would take that little time and I do not appreciate it as I took it just before bed! Lucky that I did not take 2 pills as I can't imagine what would have happened to me!"

Belci April 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dulcolax did me an injustice. I took 2 and after 11 hours I almost pass out with an excruciating abdominal pain associated with loose bowels. When the loose bowel had stopped for a few minutes, I had to lie on the floor because of the discomfort in my abdomen. Shortly after I had to rush again to the bathroom again and again with this horrific pain. I wish I didn't take this pill because its' side effect was too severe for me. I won't recommend it to anyone."

Jaz2 April 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

" I hate this stuff!!! Had been constipated for a few days..took one with no success so the next night took 2 as instructed. Woke up in the morning to extreme pain to the point where I screamed for my mum. Found my way to the bathroom where the pain continued until I blacked out on the toilet, hitting my face hard on the bath on the way to the floor. Woke up very confused and sweating, back to the toilet I went for a bm that did not come easy by any means before passing out a second time. At that point I decided to attempt to get back to bed so stood up (very bad idea) and passed out for a third time hitting my head yet again. I'm lucky I got away with just a cut cheek and black eye..DON'T BUY"

Bex33 April 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It makes you go, that's for sure. Took one before bed and got up to give my baby a bottle at 4.30am, gave him his bottle but when I was putting him back into his cot I felt sudden sharp cramping and I knew I had to run to the bathroom. Had violent diarrhea and intense cold sweating, I started feeling nauseous and extreme abdominal pain, so bad that I woke up on the floor covered In sweat, I don't know how long I passed out for but I was so confused when I woke, the pain was gone. I passed out cause my body couldn't handle that level of pain ..I've had two children and didn't pass out...this stuff is unbelievable"

Claudiajen87 April 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took two and I'm positive my rectum is separating from my body right now. It cleans you out but good lord only take 1!!!"

Crose2015 April 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used Dulcolax for Women. Gentle it said, HAHA. The package said takes 6/12 hrs. It DID NOT take that long, I began to feel the effects from 1 pill after just 2 hrs. I had been constipated for 4 days. At 2 hrs, my stomach began to hurt (took w/ food), my chest began to hurt from my pulse racing, then my back started to hurt from my horrible stomach pain. I was worried. At the 4 hr mark, I was in the bathroom, the first time was ok, so I thought problem solved. Oh no, 15 mins later I started having horrible abdominal cramps and ran to the bathroom, for a 10 minute stay. Then 15 mins after that I was in the bathroom for what I can only describe as horrific and the most intense/never-ending bowel movement of my life. Don't count on 6/12 hrs"

Carrie M. (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It does get the job done but horribly I'm writing this review on the toilet right now in between what I call a grace period. The cramps are pretty bad. My solid bm is now liquid and it's coming in waves, it has basically given me diarrhea, it's 2:36am and I took the medicine around 9pm. I really wish I read the reviews before take the two pills. Don't take unless you wanna blow up your toilet."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Oh nooo ...just read some of the reviews and after having read what happened to people after I or 2 I'm concerned. I just took 4 as per my gasteoenterologist prescribed them along with drinking 1/2 cup clear fluid every 20 min. I took them an hour ago and have a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow. I also have 2 pouches of pico silax to take in 3 and 6 hours from now (also to clean me out) I'm a little nauseous and have had a partial bm and feel clammy and intestines are noisey. I wasn't constipated though. I hope of isn't as bad as everyone says"

chipsy (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It gives you terrible pains but helps"

Katie s. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I write this as I'm sitting on the toilet, mustering the strength in between intestinal contractions, wishing that I had never taken 2 pills hours earlier. The amount of pain and sweat that I had woken up to before I had to run to the bathroom was concerning. The first wave of contractions made me believe that I was going to have to go to the ER, convincing myself that I was on an episode of 1,000 ways to die and that I had drank a bottle of Draino. Once the first big move was "done," the intensity of the pain subsided a bit. Maybe I am just getting used to my insides feel like they are being wrung out like a wet towel, who knows. Nausea in high gear. Solids turned to liquid. Still sitting here 40 minutes later. Hoping I can go back to sleep"

Anonymous March 21, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It says it takes 6-12 hours to kick in but it did not work for me until 17 hours. I huffed and I puffed and I blew that stuff out."

Uzy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son took Miralax for days with no success. He hates suppositories so I gave him 1 Dulcolax pill around 8pm per directions. I happened to look online and saw all these horrific reviews. I had a massive panic attack realizing what my son may be facing! Seriously, I had to take a xanax thinking about the horrible pain he was about to experience because of me carelessly giving him this medicine. He is only 6 and small for his age and adults suffered incredibly from the same dosage he took. I made plans to be ready to take him to the hospital that night if he woke up in agony! Lo and behold, 1 hour later he had a large BM without incident and slept peacefully all night. Fine the next day. Zero pain/side effects. What a relief for us both..."

MamaCro (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First time I took 2 tablets. Don't take 2 unless you have cleared your schedule. I took them at bed time and woke at 2am with horrible abdominal pains and nausea. Made it to the bathroom but the violence of the diarrhea, along with racing heart and nausea, led me to think I was going to need an ambulance. Overall a terrifying experience, I truly thought I would die on the toilet floor. My bowels have taken five days to return to normal. But it works, proceed with caution. Would be better if I'd read the reviews first and knew what to expect. Nothing gentle happening here."

Backed up (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do not buy!!! Long story short. Horrible cramps, thought I was dying or felt like I needed to go to the hospital. Horrible nausea. It works, but is sooooo not worth the pain and discomfort."

Bmariebmarie March 16, 2017