User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 204 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"I'm convinced that the only people that give good reviews of this stuff are the people that work at the company that makes it. I have taken so many other laxatives with no issues but this one not so much. The cramps were excruciating and the sweating was insane. This product should be taken off the market."

Anonymous June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had not had a BM in 8 days, I've never taken lax before so I chose this because it said 'gentle' on the box. The directions said 1-3 so I took 2, got on here to read the reviews and I honestly got scared and prepared myself for a horrible night. Nothing happened. I took 2 around 8 pm and around 10 pm or so I started getting mild cramps but honestly my period cramps were worse than that. I fell asleep around midnight thinking I would be rudely woken up in the middle of the night but I slept right through the night no problem and woke up at 10 am. Still no BM or even the urge to go. So then I took a third one, drank some coffee - and finally!! BM. I've had three so far and I'm still going out my day as usual."

TheGirlWhoCanNeverPoop (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pt 1. I had be constipated for 5 days. I wasn't too worried until I developed a large mass near my belly button, nausea, and overall malaise. First I tried a liquid suppository and it did not work, my gut bomb didn't move. I decided to take 3 dulcolax, but before reading any of these reviews. 3 hours after taking the pills my stomach cramps started. They didn't hurt too bad and I could visibly see the poop mass moving. 4 hours in I'm in agony, these are the worse cramps I've had in entire life. With each cramp I'm able to pass one small marble of stool. By 5.5 hours, I'm shaking, vomiting, cold sweating, and during heaves can now push out 2 small marbles at a time. I'm so dizzy and faint that I opt to lay on the bathroom floor."

LE3012 June 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took three tablets last night at 7:30pm after not going to the bathroom for a few days. I woke up at 2AM with an urge to go, but still couldn't go. I went back to bed and woke up at 4:45 with a very upset stomach. My stomach was cramping really bad and I laid in bed for a little longer hoping I wouldn't throw up. I never threw up, but after a few minutes in bed I had to run to the bathroom when I was hit with a sudden need to go. I have been having explosive diarrhea for almost an hour. At first, I would finish and then have to go again 5 minutes later! My stomach doesn't hurt anymore and the diarrhea is starting to let up. I hope I don't have diarrhea at work."

Shelly M June 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken this many times, usually only taking 1 and had never had any problems. This particular night I decided to try 2 as I was constipated to the point I was in pain. The following day, nothing had happened but my stomach had settled a bit however they seemed to take affect the day after. In agony, on the loo for about 2 hours. Burning up and nauseous. Suggest only take 1 if using, definitely not gentle if you take 2."

Staniel123 June 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took two dulcolax tablets at around 8 or 9 pm. It has helped with constipation, but I am in some serious pain from the stomach cramping. It's 3 am now and I have not slept due to the cramps! Yes it somewhat helped with the constipation, but the stomach cramps I'm experiencing are ten times worse than my discomfort beforehand!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having problems with some constipation- I chose Dulcolax because of the word "GENTLE" on the box . Wrong!!! I took 1 tablet at night and the next morning I was in agony! Severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, sweats............. and finally in the middle of all this I managed to have a BM. It is now early evening and I am still having cramps- I have been in bed all day (only get up to go to bathroom)- I will NEVER go for that "gentle relief" again!"

GentleReliefMyFoot June 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took one at 9am, had little effect and just made me gassy. Took another at 1pm, had a BM approx. two hours later, still experiencing some discomfort though so I don't think it's done a very thorough job."

Jockalfiejos May 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After having a tooth infection and being on cocodamol for 5 days, I had only passed a small hard BM and was feeling groggy, bloated, full even after no food. I took 2 tablets about 1130pm and was fine through the night, no pain whatsoever. Woke up in the morning and felt the same so took 2 more. About 8pm so nearly 24 hours after my first lot, 8 hours after my second lot I felt a little off and had a bit of achey stomach. Went to the toilet fine and felt relieved. Had an urge to go about 30 minutes after really bad cramps which seemed to clear me up the most. Then went again around 2 hours after that which seemed a bit watery and loose but fine you don't really feel anything. Overall I feel so much better now. Definitely recommend for the easiest relief."

VickiLouH May 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took three tablets last night. I expected all the things that are mentioned in other reviews. I did not even have any cramping. I woke up at my usual time. I did not have a sudden urge to use the bathroom. I just tried to go and was able to. I do have diarrhea and have gone a few times already, but I expect to get diarrhea when I take a laxative."

No cramps! (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"NEVER TAKE THIS STUFF!! For the love of God don't. Worst cramps I've ever had! I seriously thought I was dying. I only took one. I can't imagine ever taking 2 let alone 3. I am serious this pill will put you in the worse pain possible! "

Anonymous May 23, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had chronic constipation issues my whole life (in my early 30s) and this is literally the only thing that will basically clear me out. I only really use it when my constipation is particularly bad - it's one of those things where you really have to make sure you are very close by to a bathroom for at least 24 hours after taking it. It's definitely not the most comfortable experience - you will get stomach cramps and be up on the toilet for most of the night. But it's definitely effective. To me it is worth it to get cleared out and not have to deal with the nausea and pain that comes from being severely constipated."

Anonymous May 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took 2 pills around 730pm and I went to my room to take a nap and like around 10 pm I started getting really bad cramps and as the time past by they seemed to get worst , it's 1:56 am and It barely did it's job.. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE !!! Never again , it was just as bad as contractions!!"

Natnatdiaz (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"51 year old 131 pounds, one time use. Directions said take 1 - 3 tabs, so I took two for constipation . Less than 2 hours later I felt the urge to go. That's when the severe cramping and profuse sweating began. While going, I began to vomit (what seems like everything I've ever eaten... ever). Ate mostly clean all week. That day I ate a spinach & sundried tomato omelet for breakfast with coffee & orange juice and buffalo chicken salad with water for dinnier. Since I'm watching my weight, I weigh myself in the morning. After this Dulcolax experience, I lost four pounds in about as many hours. . So, 5 points for the weight loss, but I'll never put myself through this pain again!"

EmptyNow (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well firstly I just wanted to say that I've had the best night of my life sitting here after popping two dulcolax - unaware of what's install for me. I took them at around half past midnight then came online and saw these reviews. I've been laughing my absolute head off for over an hour at all the comments. I'm partially scared, because after everyone claiming to have almost died, I'm now expecting the worst "

AquamandaG (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had to come here to give another view of how this works as I came here last night was both shocked and laughing reading the comments. I had already taken ONE tablet so it was a bit late to back out and I prepared myself for the excruciating poop storm to wake me at some point during the night. I was mildly disappointed when I woke at my usual time without so much as a tiny cramp. I did have a few rumbles that told me something was on it's way. The first BM was a bit of effort but far easier and closer to normal than the last 5 days (I had actually had some BM but scant and a lot of straining), I then proceeded to have 3 more BM's each one more liquid than the last but again no pain, no passing out. Try it, take ONE, it works"

Innaminna (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm between weather this is soo bad or it's ok. I took two pills last night and my goodness I could not sleep the whole night I had very very bad pains in my stomach like very bad cramps:( I will never take this again because of the pain I felt was crazy bad I felt like I needed to be taken to the ER! But it did work in the morning at 6am but I'm still feeling cramps so I would not take it again"

Ava6778888 May 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had quite a constipation issue. I'll spare you the details, but it was serious. I went to store & chose Dulcolax. Never tried it before. Took 2 pills at night. Woke up early with severe cramps that didn't subside and got worse. I then started getting more & more nauseous. I managed to go get a bucket just in time to flop back in bed and throw up repeatedly until I dry gagged. The nausea then subsided, but the cramps remained, although they lightened up. I was then unable to get out of bed for most of the rest of the day. I thought I might have a 24 hr stomach virus. I don't know if I got a virus & coincidence I'd taken Dulcolax, or Dulcolax got me sick. My body apparently can't tolerate this medicine."

Honeycombe May 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Am male., 210lbs & 57yrs.. Been dealing w/occasional constipation or partial movements for many years now. Have always relied on Dulcolax (or generic equivalent) for relief when the need arises for use. One tablet w/tall glass of water before bed is all that take - on rare occasions have taken 2 but again that is very rare. Normally 6-8hrs after I will have such a grand movement w/another sometime after that. Always a good feeling of being flushed out of what was sitting rotting inside me. Can't say that have experienced the many bad side effects that have read by others posted. At the most I will get some minor cramps but they pass by quickly tho will say that Dulcolax does cause me to pass gas as the time nears for movement.."

Mr. Kaye (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked great. Dont know how everyone else almost died. Yall must have done something wrong."

Phillygirlmemphis (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first time using this product was after having not gone for about 5 days. Needless to say, I was a little desperate to get something that worked. I took 3 pills which were effective within 3 hours, accompanied with pretty bad stomach cramps but nothing I couldn't handle. After having the same problem I decided to try dulcolax again, having it been successful the last time. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only did it take almost 16 hours to start working, it came with severe nausea and cramps before any success. It's been a day and I still can barely eat without experiencing serious diarrhea! I'm definitely not constipated anymore but it wasn't worth constant bathroom trips at school. Only use if you're ok with the side effect, and ONLY TAKE ONE"

Joey Bennett (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried everything from magnesium citrate to even an enema! Nothing worked until I tried dulsolax! It worked 6 hrs after I took it with lots of drinking water and it cleaned me out! I didn't take it overnight, I took it during the day while I was still active and the cramps were not too bad!"

Carolina2017 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dulcolax has helped but I agree it comes with stomach cramps. For fast relief of constipation yet I feel much easier on the stomach is magnesium citrate. Find it in anywhere. I have also found it very helpful if you feel you have a hard stool to pass. It may take hours but eventually it will break down stool which I find to the point it's not terribly painful to pass. For regular constipation the results are usually very quick. For hard stool it may take a good portion of your day but if you can take the time to plan on being near the bathroom because you will pass other stools before you pass the hard stool and eventually the hard stool will breakdown."

FLG April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible DO NOT TAKE THIS. Took it at 7 woke up with nausea, cramps, and kidney pain. Had a teenie tiny bowel movement and am now wide awake. "

Meow123456789 April 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible product I took it at night about 7pm woke up with stomach hurting by 4am went to use bathroom but all that happened was major cramps and stomach in so much pain it was seriously as bad as labor contractions I was in so much pain I ended up throwing up three times because this pain came and go non-stop for about 4 1/2 hours worst pain ever. I did have a couple bowel motions but seriously not worth the horrible stomach pain and cramping, throwing up and sweating because of it. Better off trying magnesium. My stomach region is now a day later still sore."

Not worth it April 19, 2017