User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 185 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"So I was constipated for over a week ...had tried senna tablets and had no movement. Reluctantly brought dulcolax and after reading reviews only took one. Nothing happened but I did wake up in the middle of the night with cramps. Took another the nest day about 5pm and then to be sure took another at 8pm. Woke up with bad cramps about 7 am and spent most of the day in bed with a wheat bag. The pain is bad. At 3pm I finally had some relief although not the great flood like other reviews say ...not yet anyway. I thought I'd post this in case someone else feels like theyre the only one with it not working ...the pain was worth it!"

BloatedBelly August 27, 2016

"wow! dulcolax is amazing! i hadn't had a bowel movement in 1 week. i had a huge impacted stool just lodged in my anus. it was so hard that it felt like a stabbing pain. i took one tablet of dulcolax (5mg) in the morning around 9am with lots of water and by 10:30 am, I went to the toilet to try again and the stool had softened up and came out easily. i had one more soft bowel movement in the evening before i felt completely cleared out. no abdominal pain, no side effects i see on here."

collm23 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"I don't know where to begin. Yes it was very effective, but I don't know if it's worth going through the traumatizing process. I only took 2 tablets at 11pm bc I got home pretty late. Around 3am I woke up from insane pain and burning in my stomach. It was so bad, the only way I can really express what I feel is by saying it hurt so bad I wanted to die. I was running to bathroom because pain caused nausea. I still couldn't go so I just went back to sleep. I woke up 2 hours later from extreme cramps was able to go to bathroom but let's just say it was not pretty and I was really sure I was going to die. So yes very affective but not something I will ever do again."

Thatgirlru August 22, 2016

"I recently went on a 10 day vacation to Jamaica and only had I bm there, and since I've been back only 1 bm so I'm extremely constipated. I had stomach pains and felt like I need to go but could never finish the job so I decided to try ducolax. I took it last night around 830 and woke up at 430 with horrible stomach pains like I wanted to cry but I didn't feel the need to go. I found that laying on my stomach gave me some relief so I was able to fall back asleep. Woke up this morning with the same pain but still nothing this was a bit frustrating but an hour later I had my first bm, from these comments I'm expecting more but I feel better already. I didn't experience sweats, chills, or nausea so I'd say this works well besides the cramps"

Ronnae (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

"I took just one tablet of this monstrous drug and I have not shat my brains out like that since I had food poisoning. There I sat, arms clenching my stomach, head between my knees, defecating all of my pride in endless burning blows. My face was grimanced as war flashbacks from that one bad hotdog I ate at that sketchy waterpark coursed through my mind. All I could think of in that moment was "this is how I die. My parents are gonna find me doubled-over, covered in my own shit, their toilet obliterated and their favorite child dead." If you have any desire to force yourself through hours of grueling spats of gas and shit, this is for you. Hope you've got some Desitin."

Noranor August 16, 2016

"Have been backed up for a few weeks. Doctor prescribed taking 2 of these 2x a day along with taking MiraLax 2x a day. I took both, THEN started reading reviews. I think I'm going to die, but if I live I will write another review. Terrified based on these reviews condsidering I took 2 + another laxative. Update: Took 2 pink pills at 8:00pm. Didn't feel anything until 9:00 - Went about every 45 minutes or so from 9:00 until midnight At midnight I started having cramping and slight heart palpations. Nothing too bad but freaked me out and couldn't fall asleep. Shaking and cold. From what I've read it gets bad after 6 hours so still 2 hours to go..."

TerrifiedOMG August 14, 2016

"I chugged 2 litres of water with 2 pills. 5"3 115 pounds. Took it at 8pm, worked by 4am with very minor cramps. Cramps went away after each BM. Definitely worked. Didn't leave bathroom next day though so don't make plans."

saerebe (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

"Like everyone else is saying it was the worst experience of my life taking this over the counter drug. I tend to have a medicine senestivity so I took one instead of suggested adult dose three tablets. Like everyone else here I started getting horrible cramps within an hour, which was odd because knowing I was going to take this at 9 pm I'd been drinking about 8 oz of water since 7 pm on the hour. Within an hour of this drug in my system I began vomiting . And I was thankful for that because at least I was getting it out of my body. I vomited three times before midnight and went to bed queasy and sweaty. The next morning I did have a normal bowel movement but it was not worth the added vomiting. Where was this on the side effects!"

Jenny GK August 5, 2016

"Took 5mg of dulcolax going to bed at 10pm. Woke at 4 with excruciating abdominal cramps, then started having heart palpitations, sweats , nausea, worse pain than childbirth .....then I fainted ! Woke up on the tiled bathroom floor with 4 children looking at me thinking I was dead....have a head injury from the bang on the tilled floor, soiled myself cos I hadn't the energy to lift myself to the toilet seat...profuse diarrhoea for 30 minutes ....bed ridden for 6 hours after the faint.....NEVER again will I take this medicine...on the bottle it says "for gentle relief of constipation " .....nothing could be further from the truth. I'm actually traumatised."

Siobhan o Marley August 2, 2016

"I tend to suffer regular bouts of constipation and have found that Miralax and other powder-based laxatives have had little effect. I decided to give Dulcolax a shot while on a trip as it was very uncomfortable to be so bloated while doing some strenuous activities. I took three tablets (I'm 6'5" 250 lbs and usually take max dose) on Friday at 7PM. Between HORRIBLE cramps, chills, cold sweets, weakness, and constant runs, I felt like I had taken the pill-form of food poisoning. It is now Monday at 11 AM and I am still unable to eat anything without it going straight through me. This is not worth it, and Dulcolax should not be advising people to EVER take three of these. Awful experience."

Pay The Brown Price August 1, 2016

"Ok so this gets an 8 because it was effective. HOWEVER, it's an AWFUL experience that I don't recommend to anyone!! The pain is unbelievable. You will sit on the toilet for hours wondering what went wrong in life to bring you to this point. If your doctor tells you to take it, you better make sure they've prescribed some zofran for you because you're going to need it."

Jclzz August 1, 2016

"i take this every other month when i get constipated, took one last night because i didn't have a bm or 5 days, figured it would be like all my other dulcolax experiences, just bearable cramps and stuff, but I WAS WRONG. I woke up at around 11 with the worst stomach cramps ever, i barely made it to the toilet, no bm, just the cramps. I started to sweat buckets I'm not even kidding, like the sweat just dripped like i just finished an hour of interval training. sat for around 20 mins w/ nothing but the PAIN thought i was gonna die. the weird part tho was that i fell asleep (or maybe passed out idk) i just woke up and felt like I slept for 30 mins. thought it was over but got another wave of cramps and then finally had bm."

notworththepain July 30, 2016

"Took this pill around 11 am and at 2 pm realized it wasn't working so I took another one the day past and I had diarrhea a few times now it's 8 in the morning and my stomach is hurting a lot. It does its job but the pain may not be worth it for some"

Divu (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

"I read the instructions carefully....very very carefully. I didn't have any kind of dairy within an hour before taking the pills, I didn't take any antacids before taking the pills and I took 3 because it said it was safe and it had been weeks since my last bm and I was really uncomfortable. If I could go back in time and not take them, I would. I'm in terrible pain, gut wrenching, screaming in the bathroom, thinking I'm going to pass out and thanking God that the babysitter is on her way to save the day. I will NEVER take these again! Ouch!!"

I think I'm dying (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

"I broke my tailbone and was constipated because of it. Because it hurt too bad to try and poop. So i decided to take dulcolax, i took 2. It definitely works. But terrible terrible pain is followed. I did not have any dairy all i had was water and a bit of broth. This isn't me being dramatic it was the worst pain I've been in ..in a very long time. And i gave natural birth. Just like many other people i had cramps, sweating, and felt as if i would vomit but didnt. And towards 4am my anus felt like it was spitting out lava. Im never taking this again. Sticking to apple juice which takes longer to work but works without the pain."

Mybumisdestroyed (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

"Awful. Took the medication before bed as directed by the box, and woke in the middle of the night to extreme stomach pain and nausea. I spent several hours lying on the bathroom floor, feeling like I may die. It cleared up the constipation, but it went from one extreme to another. This is not worth it! I would way rather be constipated!!"

CrampyCindy July 19, 2016

"Does not work, worthless, garbage,"

Georgegg July 16, 2016

"After experiencing some mildly unpleasant urgent diarrhea with miralax and horrible explosive diarrhea on Linzess, doc suggested ducolax. Bad idea. Took 6 hours to work, as the box suggested. Woke me up with impending doom pain. Had a normalish bm before puking up the dinner I had two hours prior to dosing. Then the diarrhea began. 3 rounds so far and I'm not stepping too far away from the toilet. I have decided that miralax is not at all inconvenient compared to ducolax, and will be switching back."

Oh it's effective alright (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"So I'm 30 , I took two tablets for constipation with dinner and water and went to bed around 9 pm. I woke at 1 am in horrific pain ... These were the regular little orange tablets . Never again next time I'll stick with milk of mag or something that specifically says cramp free ."

Restroom bound July 13, 2016

"Well I took Ducolax without reading the packaging, I thought it was a quick fix you know, take it and instant relief but I'm an idiot. I ate dairy (cheese with my pasta) and had Lemon in my water. So I'm going to be in pain. I haven't done the #2 in a few days and I have lower back abdominal pain and I feel bloated, so I figured it's the weekend and I have a few hours to spare before I go out (about 2hr) so I just canceled my plans. But READ THE GODDAMN PACKAGING. I am dying over the comments though, so funny lol."

Savannah Georgia July 8, 2016

"I've been taking Dulcolax whenever I get constipated. It only takes about 20 min for the drug to take effect on me but sometimes, longer. It has worked well for me. I did get cramps but they were totally bearable. It works differently for ech person. I suggest that if you wanna try it, just brace yourself and give it a chance."

Hellothere3528181 July 5, 2016

"I took one Dulcolax tablet last night at 19:00. Woke at 01:45 with the most horrendous stomach cramps, sweating profusely, nausea followed by 5 bouts of vomiting. My whole inside felt as though it was on fire, even childbirth was not as painful. At one point I thought my husband was going to have to call for an ambulance. I have lost count of the number of BM's I have had during the day/night, just running out non stop. I will never take another Dulcolax, I have thrown the packet out and would not wish this experience on anyone. I have wasted a day in my life in bed that I will never get back!"

Zippy Badger (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

"I was severely constipated for 4 days. I took 2 dulcolax and it took around 9 hours to work. I had no major cramps like other people. I made sure I was well hydrated and was so relieved when I got relief from my constipation It is an excellent medicine my thoughts as to why others suffered severe abdominal pain is that they were not really constipated that much or they had taken it to clean out their system. I will definitely recommend it to others."

letterbox June 27, 2016

"Took three pills (I'm an adult) last night and nothing happened. That was to be expected, most reviews I had read said a couple hours later it would kick in Cue to this morning, about three hours ago. I woke up cramping and hurting and squirming in my bed like a wounded animal, clutching at my stomach because It felt like I was shot. Eventually I get up and move to the bathroom, nothing happens. So I sat and waited, tried a little and succeeded some, but cramping came in and out in waves which just made it worse for me. While on the phone with my parents, I hang up and it instantly happened. My BM was quick, almost painless, but most importantly it happened. So, it worked, but be weary of the pain that can induce when you use this!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"I beg of everyone to think twice before taking this pill. I am 20 years old and took one of these a couple years ago after being constipated for a week, and remember laying on my stomach holding onto my bed for dear life with all four limbs- swearing I would never take one again. I proceeded to go to the bathroom for hours- in pain unlike anything else is experienced. This month, I was on vacation and had barely gone to the bathroom for 24 days!! So I decided I'd try this before going to the doctor! I woke up last night with such bad stomach cramps almost not making it to the toilet before throwing up and pooping myslef at once!!! Puking black stuff up- which I am still very confused about!! I have not moved from bed all day, sick as a dog!"

Jilly Babay June 24, 2016