User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 185 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

"Great results!!..which was unexpected after I read all the reviews on here...If you only take one with plenty of water you most likely won't feel a lot of pain...I took one pill at 4pm,it's 7:30 now and I've already had 2 BM...I'm really impressed and so glad I didn't listen to the negative comments!!..It's such a relief and I had hardly even felt anything was happening!..THE SECRET IS WATER and don't be afraid to eat!!..Nausea and sickness usually occur when your dehydrated because this product sucks all the water out of you, so yeah stay hydrated and you should be good!! Definitely will use this again"

Alex2226057 January 15, 2017

"I had a not-so-great experience. I used to take Miralax, but it caused me problems and I was taken off it. Within 2 days I was constipated again, and Dulcolax was prescribed. It was prescribed by my doctor, 2 pills were taken 6-8pm for 4 nights, as instructed. I suffered, to say the least. Horrible cramps that came and went, and the first time I had a BM I thought I was about to die. I was constantly within 15 feet of a bathroom and often got hungry (due to being emptied out, I suppose), but felt rather sick and couldn't eat much. Whenever I ate, I often had to go a few hours afterwards, and the cramps persisted. Effective? Yes. Gentle? No way. It worked, but if you're going to use it, clear out your schedule in case of side effects."

Bella S. January 13, 2017

"I've taken this a couple times and never really thought about the side effects because my body is unpredictable due to other sicknesses but this last time I took it, I wondered if anyone had experienced the same effects. Taking it gives you relief but not without putting you through hell first. I take it in the afternoon and wake up the next morning with horrible cramps, I get cold sweats occasionally and I start shaking. It scares the living crap out of me and then for the rest of the day I feel extremely weak. If you're gonna take this mentally prepare for that hell"

AngelBrittany (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"1 star for the inexpensive cost, no stars for its use. 36 hours and no results."

MHed (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

"I've taken 3 tablets everyday for 3 days and I still haven't pooped yet! I'm so constipated it's ridiculous!!!"

Still haven't pooped January 10, 2017

"I was recommended Dulcolax after I hadn't been able to have a BM after surgery on my back passage. I took 2 tablets at 2.30 pm as I was desperate and at 9.00 pm I had an easy to pass (being first BM after surgery) BM followed by 3 more trips before midnight to the bathroom ending in diarrhoea. I didn't experience any of the cramps, shakes or vomiting as reported by so many others. I'm still experiencing diarrhoea now 2 days later and although it's painful still, this is only due to the surgery I under went 6 days ago. Please remember every single person who takes Dulcolax will have a different experience to the next as our bodies will all respond differently to this medication . I would definitely take Dulcolax again. Hope this helps."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

"I took docolox to help me use the restrooom I took it before bed like directions said. Along about 4 am I broke out in excessive sweating, shaking with cold sweats. I had severe stomache cramps. I seriously thought I was going to die!!! I laid on the end of the bed turned the fan on because of severe sweating but had blankets covering me because I was so cold. That lasted about 30 minutes. After that I had a bowel movement but I got such a upset stomach I thought I was going to vomit. Thankfully I didn't. Was one of the worse experiences I ever went through. This stuff ought to be banned! I will never use again"

Donna Crayne (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

"As a reminder (to myself and all others) that come on here, stupidly, to read reviews - people are 10 x more likely to post a negative experience vs a positive experience! I have been backed up for what seems like weeks with only the "1" on the Bristol scale, which is the small round shaped eliminations, and they are only happening every three days or so, one or two at a time. Mag Cit didn't work and I can't handle Miralax so it was Dulcolax for me. Why I came to read these reviews is beyond me because I already knew I was going to get freaked out. But, I took two at 2pm...drank water, had some lunch. I've taken these before, pretty sure they're no big deal; giving them a 10. Relax and remember people...10 x more likely to post negative!"

Hopeful4Freedom January 4, 2017

"Took 2 tablets and went to bed. Experienced some cramping at around 6am the next morning. But around 6:30am the cramping was horrible. Vomiting and diarrhea so much. After about 3 hours of on the toilet and my head in a trash can, I finally was able to sleep. I will never take this again. I have been weak, nausea, and cramping still all day. I am afraid to eat something. I did not drink water before taking this, so if you do take it hydrate yourself before, don't eat a big meal before (like I did), and do it in a day where you have zero plans."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

"I hadn't had a bowel movement in six days, because I had surgery and constipation is a side effect of anesthesia and pain meds. First time taking a laxative. Rarely ever constipated, I was desperate and I took three Dulcolax at around 10:30 pm...then I came online to read how it worked for other people and was terrified by all the reviews! I was afraid to sleep, but I drifted off. At around 1:40 am, I woke up to digestive sounds and felt the need to GO. I finally had a bowel movement, everything went smoothly and went back to bed. Everything went fine, but all the negative reviews are enough for me not to chance taking Dulcolax again."

ConstipationNation (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

"I took one around 5pm and then at 2:30am I woke up to a burning sensation in my stomach. When I realized what was starting to happen and I almost had a panic attack because of all the reviews that I remembered. Seriously guys, what I went through was bad for a laxative it was like having the flu, but nowhere as bad as everyone claims it to be. For me it was only a couple hours and then I was able to sleep. Today my stomach feels a bit sensitive but I'm fine. And it worked really well too, I didn't have diarrhea just a really easy to pass BM. If it hurt that much for some I think it's because they're way too constipated which could mean intestinal impaction. DO NOT take laxatives if you think it is, it can end really badly."

WorksVeryWell December 31, 2016

"This product does what it says with terrible pain! First off... i would never recommend this product to someone who experiences IBS like myself. Seems that the posts praising ducolax are from people who have only had LIGHT constipation discomfort. I now understand the "near death experience" that Ducolax is. If you ever ever experienced true food poisoning that leaves you expelling from both ends simultaneously this is exactly like that! Cold sweats, nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting accompanied by the worst cramps of life. I mean I can actually say I thought I'd need an ER visit & if you've tried this and lived to tell the tale YOU KNOW! I would absolutely recommend taking this on the first day of your weekend with zero plans!"

Carrolynn December 29, 2016

"I'd been constipated for a few days and decided to try dulcolax to get some relief. I'd never tried a laxative before. I took 1 pill at 630 pm and made the mistake of reading these reviews afterwards... I nervously waited for the worst. I began my BM at around 11 pm. Nothing bad to speak of.... no terrible abdominal cramping, no sweating, no nausea, ect. Nothing, just a much softer and, much needed, BM. I didn't even drink excessive water with it. I think the key is to only take 1 pill - especially if you've never used the medication before & aren't sure how you'll respond to it. I'd recommend.. does the job!"

Notstoppedup December 29, 2016

"I haven't had a BM in a good week though I'm never really regular but the bloating and pain was getting crazy so I decided to take 2 (w diet coke) at 11:30am and I ate high in fiber veggies. The mild cramping pain started at 6 and it got a little worse as time progressed. There was very minimal results but intense (but bearable) pain. It's now going on 8 and I feel mild cramps still with little spurts on really bad pain. Now I'm scared reading the reviews and trying to drink more water!! I feel just a little nauseous especially around food but other than that good, just really nervous!"

Preparing4longNite (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"Took two tablets at 11 pm and woke up at 3 am with horrible cramps. The cramps lasted about ten minutes (felt like ten hours) before I finally had one of the worst BMs of my life. I was sweating, nauseous, and crying all while trying to finish going to the bathroom. After about 15 minutes, I'm back in bed but I feel the cramps coming back and am scared that this will be forever. Pretty sure I know how the people on Oregon trail felt when they died of dysentery."

magz89 December 27, 2016

"I have been overseas for nearly a month now and started experiencing stomach cramps every morning for about a week and then continued with no BM, I'm 19 and have never had issues like this before. Possibly from the food I've been eating not sure, went to a pharmacy here in Thailand and dulcolax is what they gave me, took 2 pills at 7:30pm and went to sleep and woke up at 2am with stomach cramps, painful but bearable. A BM followed where it started off normal before ending in diarhea. Went again about 10 minutes later and am now back in bed at 4am feeling as though I'll get back to sleep with little pain, although my stomach is still rumbling. Not sure what all the fuss is about it's done the job and I feel good that my bowels are clear."

Youngtravel (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

"I got terrible pain AND diarrhea after taking this medicine. I took similar product in the past AND this one is Indeed the worst one. "

Vanessa81 December 22, 2016

"Does the job but comes with major stomach cramps, nausea and no sleep. Be prepared!"

CC Floss December 22, 2016

"I have been so constipated I took 2 pills Sunday night. I started to have cramping a couple hours later. The cramps were getting so intense it felt like labor pains. I went to the bathroom about 4am it all started. I was in bed or in the restroom all day Monday and felt weak and like I was coming down with the flu. This stuff definitely works but cramps are HORRIBLE!! I'm still cramping but now able to get out of bed on Tuesday but still visiting the restroom often. If I eat or drink anything I start getting cramps and have to go to the restroom. It's 3am on Wednesday and I've been up for a couple of hours with cramps and still going to the restroom. I'm getting to where I don't wanna eat or drink because I'm tired and want to sleep!"

Mindymom December 21, 2016

"Warning: it does not necessarily take 6-12 hours for this medication to work. Less than an hour after taking 2 of the dulcolax pink pills, the effects began. I have been in the bathroom every 10-20min for the past 4 hours. I recommend taking this medication when you have zero plans or zero intention of getting any sleep. On the plus side, tomorrow might be a really great day to wear those jeans that are just a little bit too tight, surely I've lost a couple pounds between these incredibly frequent bathroom trips."

B55 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

"I took two pills with a couple glasses of water at bedtime and had a bowel movement approximately eleven hours later with no unusual discomfort at all. When I have prepared for examinations in the past it was always the bottle of citromag that you drink after the stool softeners that made me feel cold and crampy and that I should just stay on the toilet for the night. No problem with dulcolax at all"

Rosecantpoop December 19, 2016

"I take four five milligram tablets whenever I am constipated and I couldn't be any happier with the results. The only things I suffer from with this medication are cramps (no way as bad as everyone else is making them out to be) and wind. If you want effective and fast results which are always guaranteed, I suggest you definitely try Dulcolax."

Dean F December 16, 2016

"Decided to take Dulcolax Pink, as it said it was gentle on sensitive stomachs (which I definitely have). I took 2, and then did the worst thing I could possibly do.... went online and read reviews. Needless to say I was completely freaked out by what I read and I prepared myself for an awful night. I have to say now, it was really not that bad. Exactly 6 hours after taking it, I had some cramping, very mild nausea, and diarrhea (but what do you really expect from a laxative?). I drank about 1.5 liters of water while taking this, so maybe that was part of it not being so bad. It's been about 16 hours now since I've taken it and I've eaten and feel completely normal. I don't like to rely on laxatives, but would take this one again if need be!"

clino (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2016

"This product should be taken off the shelves before somebody has a heart attack from its side effects. I took one tablet and within about five hours had a BM normally. A few minutes later I needed to go again. Then all of a sudden, I started sweating, and vomiting, and felt I was about to pass out on the bathroom floor. I made it back to bed and was screaming in pain which went on for the next 20 minutes. It finally calmed down enough for me to spend the next day in bed with a hot water bottle on my tummy. Today is Day 3 post Dulcolax Drama and I am left dizzy, nauseous and weak. If no better by Monday morning, I'm off to the doctor. I feel terrible and will NEVER take this tablet again. If you suffer from IBS do not take!!"

Sore Tum December 8, 2016

"This lax is horrible but it gets the job done. I was constipated for 5 days. Took 2 tablets and about 9 hours later I wake up with an awful cramping. I go to the toilet and end up puking and pooping at the same time. Be prepared for a lot of pain."

Morgannnnn December 8, 2016