User Reviews for Dulcolax to treat Constipation

Dulcolax has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 810 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 37% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Dulcolax Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Dulcolax

Drugreviewr · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2021

“I feel like my experience would be different to someone who only suffers from occasional constipation. I unfortunately get constipated to the point I can’t remember the last time I had a bowel movement. Dulcolax works for me but it is the most intense painful experience EVERY single time. And yes I have used it more than once because clearly I have a death wish. Within 2 hours the cramps start. The type of cramps where you can’t lay down, but also you can’t sit up straight because they are ripping apart your insides. By morning I am awake at 7am unable to sleep because of cramps. It usually takes 2 hours of excruciating pain to be able to actually go to the bathroom, and after that your running to the toilet once an hour quite a few times. Fun fact 24 hours after I took this stuff I trusted a fart and crapped my pants :) so taking this is not a fun time, but everyone’s experience is different. Just ... don’t trust your farts for a while.”

PeterTheCat1 July 21, 2021

“I really do not recommend this medicine. I had a pretty major surgery, so I had to take pain medicine. Because of this, I became constipated. I went for a few days without any bowel movements. I think I took Dulcolax once a day for two-three days before anything happened. I woke up, and suddenly felt like I had to go to the bathroom. Then the cramps started. The cramps were horrendous. I was shaking from chills, and sweating, and I was doubled over clutching my stomach. I felt nauseous, and I felt like I couldn’t sit still. Not much was coming out, so I ended up taking a suppository which finally did the trick. The cramps, and constant running back and forth to the bathroom lasted for HOURS. I would rather have my surgery 10 times over than take this medicine again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

“Whoever created dulcolax - well I don't know what they were thinking. I took three pills at around 3:30 pm. By 7 pm I started to feel ill, I had a stomachache and felt like I was going to throw up. Flash forward 3 1/2 more hours and my lower back felt like it was it on fire, my heart was palpitating, my legs were shaking, I had horrible cramps, and felt so feeble that I could barely move. A half an hour later is when all hell broke loose. It was a five hour ordeal. I was butt naked on my toilet seeing stars unsure if I was going to throw up or poop at any given time. During these five hours I migrated between writhing around on my bathroom floor and sitting in the toilet. I would have called an ambulance but I couldn’t walk to get my phone from my room. I thought life was going to be over.”

A.N.B July 8, 2021

“NEVER using this stuff again!! This stuff is awful!! I wish I read the reviews before taking this. So here’s my story, I can never poop I’m lucky if I go twice a month, and I had enough and wanted relief. I tried miralax and benefiber and neither worked so I decided to try dulcolax. I took 2 of these teeny tiny bombs at 9pm, woke up at about 4am having the WORST cramps ever, felt like I was in labor. It lasted all up until 7am and I got up to try to poop, I couldn’t even push because I was hurting so bad. Then finally it all fell out. Complete diarrhea, then at the same time I got SUPER nauseous and threw up I got super hot and clammy and got super dizzy and saw stars I actually passed out on the bathroom floor mid crapping. I couldn’t get up I was so weak and everything was spinning. For the entire day I had diarrhea every hour or so, it wouldn’t stop. I had to call into work I was so sick. I could barely eat anything. I then got a raging migraine from it all.”

Loucol July 6, 2021

“Worst experience of my life I've been taking cocodemol, this has caused 10 days of constipation. Bought Dulcolax from Tesco and read instructions which was 1 to 2 tablets when needed. So I took one to be on the safe side. I took at 8pm and by 1am I was screaming in agony with severe stomach cramps that felt like contractions but 10 times worse. Tried to go toilet, nothing happened. Cramps continued constantly and the pain was unbearable. This went on for hours. I cried, rocked and screamed with the pain I couldn't even stand up straight. Finally started going toilet at 4am, sweating, shivers, nausea, i actually saw stars. I was sitting on the bathroom floor sobbing and considering ringing 999. It is now 9am. I'm still getting stomach cramps and been on and off the loo for hours so I can't leave my house, I'm freezing cold and still feel sick. I was suppose to be at work tonight but had to phone in sick because I've no clue how long these horrible side effects will last. Believe me I would much rather have stayed constipated.”

Tiff s · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2021

“This has got to be the worst stuff I have ever taken. I only go to bathroom every 2 or 3 weeks it gets overwhelming and just so bloated I need relief. Well ducolax was the last thing I should have done. The pains in my stomach are so intense I feel like something is seriously wrong. It feels like someone is ringing out your insides. I have been dizzy, sick to my stomach, an over all ill feeling. And super nauseated. I would rather have a bloated stomach. Idk what to do! I have been up and down sitting on bathroom floor and to toilet. Not knowing whether to throw up or poop. Worst ever and very scary. I feel like I was going to pass out. I tried laying down and the pain is too great.”

P-man · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

“Sooo after reading all the reviews on here I figured I’d share my story. I’ve taken this drug a few times. First two times I had mild constipation and shared the same experience as most of you on here have had. Horrible cramping, sweats, explosive bowel movements, laying on the floor and overall just wanting lfe to be over! The next two times I had taken it I honestly swore I’d never take this drug again but this time my blockage had lasted over a week. That feeling alone is scary think that your intestines will explode. So I took each time right before bed. Woke up early in the morning with cramping but immediately released in the toilet. Diarrhea for the next few hours but tolerable. So to conclude this is a great product for severe constipation, I’m not talking a 3-4 days without a bowel movement, I’m talking a week or longer. Try other outlets like collace or Metamucil. Ducolax should be a last resort after a long period without. Hope that helps someone :)”

Fili March 19, 2021

“I am a healthy 23yo female, 5'6'' 132 lb. This time I had incomplete evacuation for over a week and a change in schedule, so I felt blocked up. I took a Dulcolax at 11:30 hours and drank the usual amount of water I do in a day (I drink over 130oz on a normal day) and added some lemonades to help my intestines pull in electrolytes. I did feel some rumbling but that was very mild but no BM. The next morning I had 2 BMs within 3 hours and I was all clear. No side effects, no diarrhea either! Guys, BIG ADVICE here, always under dose - start with one if you're self-prescribing or go with what your doctor says. And drink huge amounts of water. Throw in some juices, electrolytes, and you'll have the gentlest evacuation ever. I hope my review helps those having popped a few pills and waiting up for the 'lighter' day! Drink water while you wait, cheers :)”

Tricky · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

“After suffering from 2 weeks of constipation, I bit the bullet and took 2 of pills around 3:30pm. By 7pm I had a solid bowel movement and thought "great, problem solved." How wrong I was! Fast forward to 4am, I woke up soaked in sweat and feeling like my stomach was being ripped out. Barely conscious, I managed to crawl to the toilet just in time. Then all hell broke loose! The world fell out of my butt in the form of what can only be described as molten lava for the next hour and a half. This was followed by bouts of nausea, heart palpitations and feeling like I was going to black out. The next day was spent feeling like I'd been hit by a train. These pills are unbelievable and only a masochistic would take these more than once. How are they legal?”

Anonymous July 7, 2021

“Had been having severe constipation so I decided to go to the store and pick up some Dulcolax. Let me tell you, if you haven’t already, DON'T take it. The box said 1-3 pills so I, of course, went ahead and took 3. I took them at 4pm and it is now 10:30pm and the pain is truly unbearable. It feels like your insides are beings squeezed to death from the inside. I’m too scared to even go lay in bed because it is just too unpredictable. Throwing up, diarrhea, overheating one minute to chills down your whole body the next, sweating so much it looks like I just got out of the shower, so light headed, seeing stars, caught myself passing out on the way to get water- luckily I was able to sit down before I lost consciousness. This stuff should not be allowed, seriously debating going to the ER. If you can avoid it, avoid it.”

Star · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2019

“After I took Dulcolax yesterday afternoon I got online to check reviews and ended up TERRIFIED, so I felt compelled to leave a review too! I took 1 pill at 3:30pm yesterday, and had a soft BM at 4:30pm. I made sure to sip 25+ oz while I waited for it to work. Bed time came and I was scared to sleep. I woke up at 3:30am to tummy rumbles (but no cramps or pain), and had another BM around 5:00am, this time even softer. Again at 7:30am, and at that point it was diarrhea. Overall, I would say it's been an okay experience. It did what it was supposed to do. I have a headache this morning, and I'm tired, but I think it's because I stayed up reading reviews and was stressing myself out! So for the people like me, who are doing the same exact thing right now, I wanted to leave a good experience here too. :)”

Martha86 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2021

“I had horrible constipation for about a week, nothing was helping so I took one dulcolax around 9pm, I expect the bowel movement to start on the morning but nothing happen (just terrible tummy pain). Around 5pm the pain get so intense I was sweating and shaking but unable to open bowel :( horrible horrible experience. Finally after around 2h of pain, nausea, cramps, sweating and shaking I managed to open bowel. As soon as it happened all symptoms go away and I felt massive relief. My advice is : take it only when other things not working, is very powerful but it works. My colon was completely blocked and it helps me to empty it and get rid of awful constipation.”

alexismikaik02 · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2021

“Absolutely awful! I have spent the last 5 hours of my life in the bathroom. I am currently on vacation and this is just not it. I am not even pooping with color anymore, it’s literally water. And non-stop and excruciating pain. I can barely walk six feet without having to run back to the bathroom to poop. I took the correct dosage, I really shouldn’t be afraid to leave the toilet to lay down in my bed. I feel nauseous and I honestly preferred being constipated .”

Zimbabwebird September 14, 2020

“Took two tablets at about 8am, expecting some gentle movement in a few hours. Next joke? Before 9 I was totally incapacitated with extreme cramps and nausea. This was closely followed by sweat pouring from my whole body, then the explosive diarrhoea described by many others. I genuinely thought I was going to have to call an ambulance, I felt like I was dying-slowly and very painfully. This product should not be sold over the counter.”

Worthers · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 12, 2020

“TIPS: Start with 1 the first time, and never take more than 2. Drink lots of water - if you are not hydrated they will make you feel nauseas. Only take for moderate to severe constipation, if it’s mild you will experience severe cramps. These DO work very well, but follow the above first.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2021

“I was constipated so I took 2 Dulcolax Saturday night. I started having diarrhea and lots of blood with it. That continued for 36 hours. Lots of stomach cramping and vomiting. I thought it was the end of me. The cramping was exactly like child labor. I would suggest to anyone reading this review to NOT buy dulcolax. It is just so bad and should be taken off the market. I was within hours of having to go to the ER. This product is literally toxic to a human beings system.”

Katie24 · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2021

“I took 2 tablets with my meal (6:30pm) and then before bed read all the scary reviews. I saw that some said they didn’t have a horrible experience when drinking a ton of water, so I quick downed 50 ounces of water before bed. I woke up at 2:00 am with a slight crampy sensation and loose stools. It happened again at 2:15 am and again at 3:00 am. It is now 8:30 am and the diarrhea is the same but I have no cramping, no nausea, no shaking, and no lightheaded feelings. My stomach is still rumbling to clear itself out, but it wasn’t horrible as I thought. I think the key is to drink a glass of water when taking it, take it with food, and drink a ton of water after. I didn’t have a scary experience. I will probably never do another laxative again though unless absolutely necessary.”

Anonymous July 26, 2021

“OMG. Save yourself. Do the enema. Holy smokes. My diet was off and I knew it. After 3rd day I figured I better do something. My abdomen was huge. I'm not a big guy & don't take meds of any kind willingly, so when it said I could take 1 to 3 of these tiny time bombs I opted for 1. ONE. The cramps started about 6 hours later. Got me out of bed. I spent the next 2 hours doubled over in pain so high I vomited. No joke! Both figuratively and truthfully. No BM yet. I figured if it hurt that bad I must have a real problem. bowel obstruction? Cancer? I thought I was dying. I lay on the bathroom floor in a cold sweat only getting up to vomit or try to crap. Once it finally happened, it took 3 days to be over. My body kept trying to turn my anus inside out. Poor butt bled for 24 hours. My stomach still isn't right at 4 days later. Save your bootie! Don't do it! Anything but ducolax... that part on the box that says "Gentle dependable relief" there ain't nothing GENTLE about it!! POOPERS BEWARE!!”

Relieved · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

“I have taken dulcolax for severe constipation twice. I suffer with constipation frequently and have done my whole life. I take movicol but recently the periods between "going" have been getting longer. The first time I took dulcolax I took 1 and it had very little effect. Yesterday it had been almost 2 weeks since I last moved my bowels so I took 2 this morning. 10 hours later I suddenly began to feel very, very ill. Dizzy, extremely nauseated, headache, terrible stomach cramps, cold sweat, the lot. I tried unsuccessfully to move my bowels 3 times, then on the 4th time an unholy amount of poo left my body. I now feel much better. It did exactly what I took it for. Although the journey was unpleasant it was short lived.”

Anonymous March 3, 2020

“This is absolutely horrendous stuff! I cannot believe they are able to sell this in shops! I took 2 last night as I’ve been constipated for a few days, woke up at 7am with stomach cramps but managed to get back to sleep, I then woke up at 8:30am thinking I was going to puke, I ran to the toilet and it was like an explosion of diarrhea, I then came over in a hot sweat and fainted on the toilet!! Ears ringing, head spinning, dripping in my own sweat. Absolutely awful stuff, avoid!!!”

Anonymous August 11, 2020

“Took 2 pills and woke up about 3 hours later in excruciating PAIN! It felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach and twisting the knife. I probably did more vomiting than number two. Cold sweats, confusing and profuse pain. I just wanted to pass out to get some type of relief! At one point the pain had gotten so bad I asked Jesus to come take me out of my misery. There is no way that stuff should still be on the market.”

RWW · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“Took two of these Dulcolax at 4.30pm as I had been suffering from constipation for a few days. Had a normal bowel movement at 6pm and I thought they'd done their job. That is until I woke up at 12.30am with the worst cramps imaginable. This was followed by numerous further explosions at 2.30am and 4.30am, to the point where I had to lie on the bathroom floor to stop myself from passing out. Pretty sure my bathroom is going to need an exorcism after this. It's now 11.30am the next day and my stomach cramps are still very much there. These work, but at a high cost!!”

PoopyMcPooperson · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

“Every time I eat Pizza I really get bunged up so this time I took a dulcolax after eating said pizza, which was delicious by the way. 12 hours later lying in bed I did some really stinky trumps and I got a twinge in my lower region which I initially thought was mild period pain... but realised it must be time to poop so I ran as fast as I could to the toilet and as soon as I sat down the whole world fell out of my butt. A mixture between runny and soft poops, the whole toilet bowl is pebble dashed so make sure you have bleach handy. Would definitely recommend, but to those taking 2 or more tablets... what were you thinking!!??”

ReneeK · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2020

“I took two Dulcolax pills at approx. 10am with a glass of water. Then I read the reviews and was terrified at what I was in for. But for the entire day, I felt absolutely NO SYMPTOMS and no bowel movements. I wondered whether this was going to work or not. Finally, at about 2am, I had tummy rumbling, and gas, but really that’s it. BUT at 8am the next day (22 hours after dosing!), I woke with my tummy rumbling and feeling the urge of diarrhea. I rushed to the bathroom. A few minutes later, I still had the urge to diarrhea again. I’d say between 8 AM-1 PM, I had diarrhea about ten times. It was a LOT. But the good thing is, any discomfort was minor (My stomach rumbled all day, and I kept feeling the urge to diarrhea) so I stayed home until the feeling finally passed. I did not experience nausea, vomiting, cramps, or anything like many reviewers. Other than the 5 hours or so of diarrhea and tummy rumbling, this was really painless and effective!!!!”

Amajon · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

“After many trips to the doctor, urgent care and more, I finally discover the wonders of Dulcolax. Every other laxatives would give me excruciating cramping. Well Dulcolax will give you great results. Prepare yourself for a poopy situation literally. It’s like having your own private fireworks show in the privacy of your bathroom. Niagara Falls is small compared to this explosion of internal compost. Definitely a 5 out of 5 stars ⭐️ show.”