Dulcolax - How long does it take for bisacodyl to clear your system?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2022.
As an estimate, after taking a dose of Dulcolax (bisacodyl) it should be out of your system after 88 hours or 3 1/2 days. (5.5 x 16 = 88)
For a drug to be totally eliminated from your system it takes around 5.5 times the elimination half life. The elimination half life of Dulcolax is 16 hours. This means that the bowel stimulant medication is metabolized in the body and roughly half is gone after 16 hours with half the remaining medicine gone after another 16 hours.
As the medication level drops the stimulant effect will diminish. Some bulking food items like bananas, apples or pasta may help slow the diarrhea naturally.
Related medical questions
- Dulcolax - when does the diarrhea start to wear off?
- How long after taking Dulcolax can I expect a bowel movement?
- The Do's and Don'ts of Treating Constipation
- Which drugs cause opioid-induced constipation?
- Why do drugs have brand names and a generic name?