User Reviews for Bisacodyl

Also known as: Alophen, Bisa-Lax, Bisa-Plex, Bisac-Evac, Bisacodyl Uniserts, Bisco-Lax, Bisolax, Carter's Little Pills, Colax, Correctol, Doxidan Tablet, Ducodyl, Dulcogen, Dulcolax, Dulcolax Laxative, Evac-U-Gen, Ex-lax Ultra, Feen-A-Mint, Fematrol, Fleet Bisacodyl, Gen Lax, Gentlax Tablet, Gentle Laxative, Laxative Gentle Suppositories, Magic Bullet, Modane, Veracolate …show all brand names

Bowel Preparation

6.6

6 reviews
Summary of Bisacodyl reviews 5.7 820 reviews

Reviews for Bisacodyl

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Nooooooooolo don’t take it Worse than labor pains lasted for 48 hours also gave me a UTI This stuff needs to be removed from the market forever Honestly I have never felt that kind of pain and it’s constant Tried a heating pad that worked for about 2 seconds Please don’t buy this stuff There’s other things you can use JUST DONT USE DULCOLAX UNLESS YOU WANT Excruciating pain"

Nonya (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Bowel Preparation: "Had colonoscopy this AM (9 Apr 2018) Prep began on Sunday morning. This is my second, first 16 years ago. I don't remember anything bad about the first except for that nasty tasting lax. I read the post about Dulcolax and almost threw them away, Who would know, right? But I thought I had taken them the first time. Sooo. I have always drank LOTS of water, still do. 2 gallons a day is not unusual. Several posts suggested that those who had pain did not drink enough liquids before and after. I took a chance. Copious amounts of liquids Sunday AM. Peed every 20 min or so, not just a little, full bladder each time. At 1PM 4 dulcolax as directed. (I'm only just 200 lbs) Lots of gatorade white grape juice and 7up followed. Still peed a river every half hour or less. First BM at 3, soft and easy. It's almost 9 AM time for the fun and I'm about to mess the bed. Nurse says the doctor will take care of it and off we go. Scope went like a charm, talked to the Doc and back home. In bed couldn't make it to the toilet. Back in my man diaper waiting for my bowels to become stable. Now as for nausea and cramping. At 10 PM Sunday I had a very very mild case of both. But I was very hungry. Chicken broth and jello later and it went away. Was that from the Dulcolax? Don't know, not an issue. But I'm pretty sure that some of the yuk drink is still in me. My advice, drink drink drink before, during and after Dulcolax, but then that's what the instructions said."

Doug part 1 April 9, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "All constipation is not created equal. My stool is plenty soft and liquid enough, my intestines just don't move. Miralax, Metamucil, and others that draw more water into my system don't help me at all. But I find the stimulant laxative Dulcolax very effective. I never take more than one tablet. For me, it works as intended, with no cramping or other side effects. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because the effects last for about 24 hours, so anything I eat will go right through me for at least a day after taking one."

Will In PA (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Ok so I took 2 around 8:45pm last night and I just woke up around 2:45am with cramps much like menstrual cramps. I decided to read some reviews and I am crying laughing, just waiting for the worst of it. Taking 2 was probably a mistake. I had been having BM issues for about a week and a half - hard stools, hard to pass, Bristol stool #2 mainly, having to strain a lot and not much relief generally. Now I’m scared but also I can’t stop laughing at the descriptive reviews, I’m trying not to wake my boyfriend up."

Omg (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Best medication ever for chronic constipation."

Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "My doctor told me to take a Dulcolax suppository. 15 minutes and supposedly relief. An hour & I had severe pain but nothing came out. An hour later water and blood coming out. The pain =unbearable; I was rocking and groaning; Seeing stars from light headed was I'd go from hyperventilating to no breath: so much sweat. I felt I was going to pass out even when not even water came out. I said forget any embarrassment, bc I was worried I would pass out or it'd get even worse and I wouldn't be able to get help if I needed it. I called my parents & went to the ER where I had what looked like a panic attack but from pain not anxiety. I couldn't walk. I was crying for hours. Even with the fluids and nausea med I felt dizzy & feverish My body wouldn't calm felt like I was holding my muscles continuously flexed 4hours. The next day I went home slept for a full day. still no bowel moment until the next day. Never again."

Andy March 31, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "It worked within 15minutes, this is the best pill ever for constipation"

Palesa chaka March 26, 2018

For Constipation: "Despite it being called gentle, it's a heavy duty "purging" one. It's so effective to the point that it is gut wrenching, especially if you're taking it for severe constipation/hard stool, as well as if you don't drink lots of water. I use it as a last resort for when bouts of constipation don't respond to other methods. Starting with only one and giving the whole 12+ hours before upping the dose can save you from getting the runs longer than need be. This stuff WILL dehydrate you if you let it. I suggest taking it on a free day, with a bathroom close by at all times... "

Total Flush (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "If I could give this a 0 rating I would! 2 days after taking and I'm still in agony with crippling stomach cramps and cold sweats. Took 2 tablets as directed before bed and now for 2 days I have been bent double in pain. Waves of intestinal agony. Tons of gas and pathetic bowel movements that are like lava. It is so bad that I couldn't possibly go to work in this state. It's supposed to be for occasional relief of mild constipation. Absolute joke! Don't touch this stuff, it's plain evil!"

Shio_V (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

For Bowel Preparation: "Surgery of abscess led to use of any laxative, I chose bisacodyl to be highly effective way to loosen bowel wand I doubled my water. I felt no side effects. Taking no medicine for heart, BP, cholesterol, weight. Lot of salad intake. Age 75."

Prem (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I have had IBS for a couple of years now and generally have been constipated my whole life. I have tried everything from diet and exercise, but at times when I go weeks without BM I take dulcolax. Call me crazy but it only works on my body when I take a few tablets. What I am trying to say is, the medicine works different for everyone, and I wish I could take just 1 tablet for i to work , but I never end up going to the toilet. My top tips are take 1 to begin with because everyones bowels are different, and take it with plenty of water. I recommend taking it in the afternoon in order to get it all out before work. If you take it in the evening, you will be up at 4-5am sitting on the toilet reading this thread. I love dulcolax because it has helped by condition, but its not for everyone."

Anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2018

For Constipation: "It works. Definitely not for the weak, literally felt like I was dying. Hot with cold sweats and severe cramping. Shortness of breathe and hard time breathing. Nauseous and thirsty. First and last time. I won't take these again, there's got to be a better way."

Anonymous March 20, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I was constipated for 4 days took one Dulcolax, at 6pm Saturday night at 10pm I started having gas ran to the bathroom to try and use the toilet but nothing happened, I went back and set down again on the toilet had bowel movement feels on and off running back and forth to the bathroom, around 12am when I was laying down getting ready for bed thats when the terrible cramping came its like someone digging in your insides it was bad I got nausea and went to the bathroom thought I was going to pass out trying to push curled up tried to go to sleep around 2am ran to the bathroom and finally had a bowel movement it was runny, got to get a little sleep after but had to get up for work at 6 went to work thought the pain stopped but it came back I was at work running back and forth to the bathroom. Not again will I take I will do a detox tea instead and it is now 530 Sunday evening and its still here someone plz tell me when it will be over how long does it normally take for this uncomfortableness to go away"

B March 18, 2018

Dulcolax Laxative (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I was constipated about 3 days so I decided to take dulcolax. I took one tablet at 12:00 a.m and woke up to excruciating cramps at 5:30 a.m.. I was having discomfort in my chest, sweats & chills. I'm 34 years old & was moaning & groaning & asking for mercy. I tried drinking hot cocoa but it made me feel worst. Finally I thought about plain old baking soda trick swished it with water twice and it calmed the discomfort of the chest & cramping. I was able to have a beautiful bowel movement down to the diarrhea form but it was so not worth it. I would NEVER take this or anything with the same active ingredients!!!"

EDL (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I've had a positive experience with dulcolax. After reading all the negative reviews, I'm wondering how many could have simply been resolved with a few strong cups of coffee! I've had chronic pain for the last 6 weeks, and unable to 'go' for the majority of 4 weeks, and this has been made worse with my tablets (codine & gabapentin). After numerous suppositories and hospital laxative drinks that haven't actually worked, I decided on trying a herbal tablet. It's worked really well for me. I followed the leaflet, and took one tablet with a pint of water for the first night (6-12hr tablets). I had one soft BM this morning, and another at the 12hr mark. Such a relief to finally have a decent BM! Going to take it again tonight. If you have severe/chronic constipation like me, I would recommend dulcolax, however **ensure you follow the guidance in the leaflet and ensure you are well hydrated**! If you have mild constipation, why don't you just drink coffee?!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Constipation: "I took 2 of these tablets 9pm last night I woke up around 12 to the most horrendous feeling ever- the pains were awful- worst that child birth. I thought I was going to die, I broke out in a sweat I thought I was going to pass out never again will I take this tablet"

Jade March 16, 2018

Dulcolax Laxative (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Ended up vomiting. Had stomach pains before bowel movement. Medicine made me feel very bad."

G March 12, 2018

For Constipation: "I’m pregnant and constipated from taking iron. My hubby gave me two of this pills as I hadn’t pooped in a week, I took them around 7pm.... at 3am I woke up with the worst stomach cramps ever and I have a very high tolerance for pain. I thought I was dying I was in tears. Thought it was time to give birth. Around 4am I had my first explosive bowel movement and was off and on the toilet for hours, eventually just having straight diarrhea. I did feel 100 times better after the fact but not sure it was worth what I went through. Wouldn’t take them again, the pain was unbearable for me."

Anonymous March 10, 2018

Dulcolax Laxative (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took Dulcolax because the box said it was a gentle laxative. It is by far the most painful thing I have ever endured..next to child birth, and I have two kids. I took 1 pill at 5:30 pm, and went to the bathroom by 6:30 pm. This pill dried out my eyes, caused severe prolonged stomach cramps, nausea, dry heaves, and had me Passing OUT in the bathroom and in bed. The next morning, I felt a bit stronger, but very bloated and still sick with stomach pains. I CAN NOT WAIT for the 1 pill I did take to wear off. I Will be throwing these away! Please DO NOT take!"

Jems77 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Was constipated for 5 days. Took 3 pills and woke up the next morning making a mad dash to bathroom. Was in bathroom off and on ALL day. Had to cancel plans. I had thought the night before that the GENTLE laxative would maybe work my bowels 1-3 times max the next day. NO!! I am on day 2 post Dulcolax and I am still going nowhere and feel as if I am still pooping my guts out. I cannot eat anything, or it goes straight through me. At this point, I am keeping myself hydrated. Hoping this is close to the end of this nightmare!!! Never again!!!!"

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Constipation: "Bottle says it takes 6-12 hours to work, 1 hour after taking these pills I pooped my pants while I was driving, yes, in the drivers seat of my car. I’d say they did the job alright but maybe a bit fast for me!"

Maria (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "The trick to avoid the pain is DRINK ALOT OF WATER!!!"

VJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "This laxative is a bad joke. You know with a laxative a few hours after taking it you get those weird rumbles in your belly, then you painlessly poop. Okay that’s a normal one. This Ducolox is not like this. It gives the worst stomach cramps ever. Like I’m comparing them to after c section pain. I was throwing up in pain as well. Extreme nausea. Then when they do work it’s a dry poop, so yes it’s painful. I honestly will never take these again I don’t care if I haven’t pooped in weeks. I will take that nasty milk of mag, or simply detox. "

LMAAO (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "So I was backed up dealing with hard stool and usually when this happens I strain so bad I hurt myself. So I asked a friend of mine if they had anything to help. They showed me the box and said try this. I read the warning and everything and I took 3 (my constipation was that bad) and in about 3 hours I started to feel the cramps. I read the reviews on here and was super nervous. I downed a lot of water. Another 2 hours later I rushed to the bathroom because I had to go and yes it was uncomfortable but I didn't have to strain or anything. I feel so much better. Yes this product works. No I don't work for the company and yes if I'm ever backed up again I will use this and I do recommend it if you drink lots of water with it..."

Steve W (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took this 6pm last night, figured 2 would do the job since it says "gentle"... it is now almost 1 pm the next day with 16 hours of the worst pain I ever felt in my 30 years. Yes it works, but with complete torture. I am basically counting down when it will be over, at some points I feel like it never will be over.... I mean 16 HOURS so far in excruciating pain!!! And God forbid you want to drink something to hydrate yourself... it makes it even WORSE. Like is the term "gentle" a joke to these people. Take this off the market and file a class action lawsuit!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018