User Reviews for Bisacodyl

Also known as: Alophen, Bisa-Lax, Bisa-Plex, Bisac-Evac, Bisacodyl Uniserts, Bisco-Lax, Bisolax, Carter's Little Pills, Colax, Correctol, Doxidan Tablet, Ducodyl, Dulcogen, Dulcolax, Dulcolax Laxative, ...show all 27 brand names

Learn more about Bisacodyl.

Bowel Preparation 47 reviews 115 medications

Constipation 649 reviews 247 medications

5.8
Summary of Bisacodyl reviews 696 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Bisacodyl

Dulcolax Laxative (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "People with anxiety are quite sensitive to reviews. I am a sufferer and thought the reviews might have been mildly exaggerated. What worked for me: 1. Took ONE pill. Crushing or cutting in half only reaches the stomach which severely limits the response of these pills. They are time released to work right when it hits the lower bowels. Do not over-exert yourself, the pill will work. Within 25min I had my first BM that was the bulk of my constipation. RELIEF. 2. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. This helps the pill to evacuate with cleaner results. Since is uses so much of your bodies own water, drinking helps greatly with staying hydrated. Drinking water also limits the amount of time your body has bowel contractions as mine were very, very mild."

agermain1920 July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I am a 20 year old female and I suffered with IBS all my life. I went to the GP a few weeks ago after trying everything I could get my hands on (including some super strong liquid laxatives) with hardly any luck. The doctor prescribed me these to take on a daily basis (one at night before bed with a glass of water). I must admit I was a bit sceptical at first, and the first 2-3 days I had horrendous stomach cramps that left me almost doubled over in pain, but I decided to persist and I'm so glad I did. Every morning I go to the toilet without any problems, but the toilet trips got a bit to excessive so I now take one tablet every two days and this works perfectly fine for me."

Lollypop4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "This is a hideous medicine! Do not try this useless stuff. The pain and cramps that last almost eternity are not worth it. Just do not try it."

Gerome18763 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took 3 around 4:40 pm when I got off of work, I drunk 2, 16.9oz water bottles, started walking around for 20 minutes and I had the worst stomach pain, and then they stopped. Around 8:15pm, I started experiencing the urge to GO and I had to rush to a bathroom. Around 4:30am the next morning I woke up with the worst stomach pains and I thought I was going to vomit. I drunk a small amount of water, walked around my room for a while, did a few stomach exercises, and soon the pains became BMs and after 3 movements, I just hope it's over. Ducolax stomach cramps, menstrual stomach cramps, both wake you up in the middle of the night, and you can't go back to sleep"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation: "In my prep for colon camera I had 2 before bed last night and 2 this morning. Its 7pm now. Needed toilet immediately this morning only once or twice, diarrhea city, but the morning pills kicked in at 4pm today and it was far harder to ignore this time. More action than this morning. Overall a few cramps here and there but I've been working in an office all day and not suffered much at all."

tomo12345 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "It has always worked for me, but it is accompanied by intense cramping. It does not last forever but it is most painful. However, this drug does work and quickly cleared the constipation. However, next time, I will probably try an osmotic laxative instead."

PCTT (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I've been constipated for a week. I bought it because it says gentle. Just took 4 pills as got so desperate. Now I am reading reviews and realizing that I made was a huge mistake. My bf joked that I can be on the next episode Untold Stories of the ER. :-( Please pray for me to survive this night!!!"

GracyLu July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took one dulcolax around 5:30pm with a glass of water and a sandwich and came online here preparing for the worst time of my life. Hadn't gone in 5 days and was starting to feel a bit of pressure/discomfort. About 2 hrs later, one solid (but slightly softer) BM comes and goes and now 5 hours post pill, the only effect I'm dealing with is a grumbly stomach and very mild cramping, no more than a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. I feel 50x better and this mild post-pill/post BM discomfort is definitely worth it given the huge relief. 6-12 hours to work? More like 1.5-2. My suggestion would be to drink a good amount of water with it and eat if possible, and start with just one pill! I'm a 105 lb female, 20 yrs old. Don't take 2-3 at once!"

ladymegh July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "DON'T DO IT! I admit after taking 2 separate single pill doses the first day with no relief not even gas, the next morning I took 3 because it says take 1-3! The violent, stabbing, blinding cramps from this stuff is no where near worth the relief of the bowel movement. Along with the pain was dry heaving, sweats, dizziness. It was still horribly difficult to pass BMs and they were rock solid. No softening effects. This should only be prescribed by an MD when a patient is at risk of death secondary to constipation, because nothing else is worth taking these pills. Worst and scariest pain of my life. Can't believe they have the nerve to put gentle on the box to sell it. Shameless. NEVER again."

Anonymous93548 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Awful stomach cramps, the worst experience I've ever had with a laxative."

Boysie1984 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Hi I'm a 33 year old female with endometriosis and full hysterectomy and no gallbladder. I took it last night at about 9pm and had my first bm at 5 am. I was able to go back to sleep after. Some cramping but nothing I can't handle. No worse than child birth or endometriosis pain. Plus much rather be empty and not all backed up with poo you know. I have been going to the bathroom all day but it is no longer uncomfortable, it is just liquid. Just staying at home and hanging out at the pool and staying hydrated. And I feel much more relief than I did yesterday. My bm are further and further apart as the day goes on and I get closer to the 24 hour mark."

Girlwithnothingleft (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "Well where do I start... the doctor gave me these to help go the loo after I had a hemmerhoidectomy, he said as I was taking codiene which blocks you up this will keep things reasonably soft! Well I hadn't gone the loo in 7 days and thought I'll give it a go... let's say I'll never take these again! Took on at 5pm by 10 I was doubled over could hardly breath couldn't speak for the pain! I'd say on par with labour pain! After 2 hours of pain I managed to go but did the pain stop? Did it hell! Bedridden for 2 days in complete agony and now 4 days on I'm still having tummy pain and the doctor has now gave me something to calm the bowel down! Please consider something more light relief as this is in no way a gently product as advertised!"

Kelly christian (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I decided to give Dulcolax a go after looking for constipation relief. I took 2 pills at 6pm, I got up the next morning I got up and felt fine, within 10 mins I needed the toilet urgently, it wasn't a pleasant experience, it was literally water. Then 10-15 mins after I had another 3 similar bowel movements. I experienced mild cramps before each movements, and felt a little sick and hot. After an hour or so it calmed down. I did have stinky wind throughout the day. I would recommend you only have one pill to start with and see how it works. It says LAX on the end of the name, it IS definitely a laxitive. I wouldn't take this if you are going out the next day, just incase "

Suzi_Lou July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Must take 2-3 pill every night in order to have a bowel movement but it's never solid but I can't go otherwise"

Law4west July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "So I took 3 around 8 oclock and about an hour later, I started experiencing these horrible cramps. I was sitting up in my bed having the feel to go by it was all gas. I was shaking so bad and always and the urge to throw up. I was like this for 4 hours. I woke up at two, to try to go to the bathroom, I still couldn't. I finally fell back asleep and woke up a 7:45. I had diarrhea for at least 5 minutes. It's 8:36 now I still have a little cramps and still feel like I'm gonna throw up. All the reviews say at least a whole day of diarrhea. So looks like I have to stay near the bathroom. I recommend NOT TO TRY THIS LAXATIVE. UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE IN HELL."

Brie 01 (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Took 2 tablets at 9PM, went to sleep at midnight and woke up in excruciating pain at 3am! The times now is 3:50AM and I'm writhing in pain, shaking and feeling like I'm going to vomit. I rushed to the toilet thinking I was going to have a bm only to find I didn't it was only gas. I'm never using these again. I hope this cramping pain and terrible nausea will subside soon as I can't sleep."

Anonymous June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Bowel Preparation: "55 male 6' 265. Doing colonoscopy prep. Only clear liquids today. Had a small soft stool twice in the afternoon. Took 2 Dulcolax at 4 pm. Drank 64 oz Gatorade with generic Miralax (the whole bottle of powder). Movements began in earnest about 6-630. Its 720 now and I think the worst of it is over. Basically camped in the bathroom in a chair because it seemed I wouldn't make it. Wearing nothing but a winter gown in the summer because I got cold, and I'm almost never cold. I'm supposed to take two more later, but I think that's it for me. Don't know what else could come out. I don't even want to drink any more liquid, but I'm diabetic and take two meds that make me pee more. So happy I have a kitchen sprayer hooked up to my toilet to wash."

Robby222 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I'm convinced that the only people that give good reviews of this stuff are the people that work at the company that makes it. I have taken so many other laxatives with no issues but this one not so much. The cramps were excruciating and the sweating was insane. This product should be taken off the market."

Anonymous June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "I didn't have a BM in three days so I took one pill around 6 pm. I went to bed that night feeling sick and cramping. I woke up at 1 am thinking I was about to have a BM. I didn't so I took two more pills. I went to bed and I woke up around 6:30am. By 7 o'clock came I had a BM and I literally sat on the toilet for three hours. I finally felt so much better. I didn't stop having diarrhea till midnight."

Candy.com (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I had not had a BM in 8 days, I've never taken lax before so I chose this because it said 'gentle' on the box. The directions said 1-3 so I took 2, got on here to read the reviews and I honestly got scared and prepared myself for a horrible night. Nothing happened. I took 2 around 8 pm and around 10 pm or so I started getting mild cramps but honestly my period cramps were worse than that. I fell asleep around midnight thinking I would be rudely woken up in the middle of the night but I slept right through the night no problem and woke up at 10 am. Still no BM or even the urge to go. So then I took a third one, drank some coffee - and finally!! BM. I've had three so far and I'm still going out my day as usual."

TheGirlWhoCanNeverPoop (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Pt 1. I had be constipated for 5 days. I wasn't too worried until I developed a large mass near my belly button, nausea, and overall malaise. First I tried a liquid suppository and it did not work, my gut bomb didn't move. I decided to take 3 dulcolax, but before reading any of these reviews. 3 hours after taking the pills my stomach cramps started. They didn't hurt too bad and I could visibly see the poop mass moving. 4 hours in I'm in agony, these are the worse cramps I've had in entire life. With each cramp I'm able to pass one small marble of stool. By 5.5 hours, I'm shaking, vomiting, cold sweating, and during heaves can now push out 2 small marbles at a time. I'm so dizzy and faint that I opt to lay on the bathroom floor."

LE3012 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Bowel Preparation: "Took this with phosphosoda for my colonoscopy prep. 6:45pm I took 45ml phosphosoda. Then at 8:45pm took 4pcs of 5mg bisacodyl dolculax as instructed. Around 9pm I started visiting the toilet and stayed there for like ages. Probably the result of phosphosoda since its also a laxative. I knew dolculax will hit me harder later on. I only went out when someone wants to use the toilet. I wore adult diapers before exiting just to be sure enough, because I can't hold the poop inside. Just slips out of my butt without control. Then the worst happened. Around midnight I felt severe stomachaches. The discharge are almost all water and are discharged as if from a pressurized water hose. My butt burns also. Can't touch it. Luckily all is well at 6am."

Nolenrey June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Gentle Laxative (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Best to take laxatives on a [if can] empty stomach in the morning, for faster & better effect, and at every [if you want] "end of the month" [safer].Not everyday, because of serious [unsafe] side effects.Drink 8-9 cups of water to stay hydrated and to keep the bowel flowing out completely.Have plenty of tissue and make sure you are close enough to the bathroom"

B.E. June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "(I am 19) I took two bisacodyl tablets at around 11pm yesterday after experiencing constipation for 5-6 days. I regretted reading the reviews afterwards as they scared me especially because I had taken two. I drank plenty of water. I think this helped. My stomach was queasy but I fell asleep anyway, at around 5am I woke up with pain in my stomach so I went to the toilet but nothing happened so I went back to a rather uncomfortable sleep. Again, at 6am I awoke with the shame shooting pains so I visited the toilet and had diarrhea for about 25 minutes and again when I awoke in the morning. I'm currently unsure if it'll continue. (Note: it wasn't as bad as the reviews, I didn't have vomiting or severe cramps although the experience was bad)"

Potato158 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took three tablets last night at 7:30pm after not going to the bathroom for a few days. I woke up at 2AM with an urge to go, but still couldn't go. I went back to bed and woke up at 4:45 with a very upset stomach. My stomach was cramping really bad and I laid in bed for a little longer hoping I wouldn't throw up. I never threw up, but after a few minutes in bed I had to run to the bathroom when I was hit with a sudden need to go. I have been having explosive diarrhea for almost an hour. At first, I would finish and then have to go again 5 minutes later! My stomach doesn't hurt anymore and the diarrhea is starting to let up. I hope I don't have diarrhea at work."

Shelly M June 13, 2017