User Reviews for Bisacodyl

Also known as: Alophen, Bisa-Lax, Bisa-Plex, Bisac-Evac, Bisacodyl Uniserts, Bisco-Lax, Bisolax, Carter's Little Pills, Colax, Correctol, Doxidan Tablet, Ducodyl, Dulcogen, Dulcolax, Dulcolax Laxative, ...show all 27 brand names

Learn more about Bisacodyl.

Bowel Preparation 49 reviews 115 medications

Constipation 679 reviews 247 medications

5.7
Summary of Bisacodyl reviews 728 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Bisacodyl

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I have regular constipation after gastric bypass surgery. I feel like I need to go but can't. When I use the Dulcolax suppository, within just a minute or two I can go to the bathroom easily. It does burn during and afterward, though, which is why it doesn't get a 10."

Anonymouse2112 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "My experience - my first and only time - was completely at the other end of the spectrum from you guys. It worked perfectly. I took 1 in the early morning, a 2nd later morning, and staggered Simethicone for gas once in the mid-afternoon, once late at night. It took 14 hours to work. I went once, had no diarrhea, fully formed, very slight seconds-long gas pain. Done. I think maybe problems occur when you take this drug on an empty stomach, or without anti-gas meds, or when you haven't got that much inside you to go. I hadn't gone properly in about a month, but that's not unusual for me. It doesn't make me uncomfortable usually, but this was after abdominal surgery and Third World street food travel, so it did. Great success, better > quad espresso"

jgblank (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I suffer from IBS and haven't gone to the toilet properly in 9 days. I have taken Dulcolax before so I know the pains can be intense but somehow when time passes and you haven't taken them in a while you think I'll give them another go but NEVER again! I took 2 tablets around 6pm. It is now 22.40 and I'm in agony I mean severe stomach cramps and not even any BM what a waste of time and the pain is just so bad! Please be very careful when taking these and would advise if you suffer from severe constipation take a some thing else and drink plenty of water. I can't even go to bed as the pain is too intense. Please avoid!"

Jellybean3107 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I don't get your comments people. Some of you are taking 2 or 3 pills and complaining your dying, of course you are going to feel double the effect on that dosage. One pill is more than enough. In fact, to me it's a bit to much because it gives me mild stomach cramping so I just take half a pill and I'm good to go. You people can't blame the drug when you are overdosing on it. Now don't get me wrong this is not a mild laxative (unlike what they imply on their ads and I do kind of feel about cheated about that). It's powerful stuff that will make you evacuate explosively (so to speak) but vomiting and feeling like you are dying is not suppose to happen."

Lumus September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Bowel Preparation: "I took 2 of these around 9:30 last night. This morning around 5AM I woke up with stomach cramping that put any pain I have felt before to shame. About 4 hours later I started vomiting profusely. Finally after an enema I relieved my bowels. Never again will I put myself through this agony. NO THANK YOU. I will drink some mag citrate next time."

emauldin September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Hello to anyone who reads this. This pill is terrible and after a myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroids from the uterus) procedure I took due to constipation. All I can say is that I took 3 pills around 2pm. At 4pm I had severe cramping, sweats, dizzy and nausea. I had terrible burning pains that lasted for hours. I eventually went around 6pm but it was only liquid. I also vomited and considered 911. After I almost passed out and vomited, I felt better but it wasn't worth it. The doctor told me to take colace. My stupidity! I'll stick to peppermint tea and probotics, even yogurt rather than to take another laxative. I threw the pills away. It was just horrible, even drinking water made my cramps worse. I'm reading the reviews and everyone's story was similar in symptoms."

Niki757 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Hello, Whatever you do, do not take this pill!! I took three because I've been constipated for weeks. After I started cold sweating, throwing up, severe stomach pain and diarrhea for over 5 hours. This is the worst pain I've ever felt. I can't move. I've been in bed all day in so much pain. I felt like calling the ambulance but the feel is just to high to pay right now. I drank a lot of water but I'm still in pain. I tried drinkin water again and it increased my cramps tremendously."

Person 500 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Took it for 2 day bowel prep 3 weeks ago and along with everything else I was taking it worked. Initial BM was very difficult and painful. Took 2 pills yesterday at about 2:00 pm for constipation. Woke up at 4:00 am sick and vomited several times with terrible pain. Sweating, shivering and husband found me on the floor of the bathroom at 6:00 am. It took another hour of the worst pain, cramps and vomiting before I finally went. Then the spigots were open and had explosive, painful diarrhea several more times - sometimes vomiting along with it but always the terrible pains. It is now over 24 hours since I took the 2 tabs and still cramping every 1/2 hr w/some liquid diarrhea. Just trying to keep hydrated. Almost thought about going to ER!!!!!"

GrizzlyMama (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "Had a C Section 72 hours ago, constipation is a side effect of the drugs they use. I was beyond desperate to go and in absolute agony. After writhing in pain with a newborn to feed and trying so hard to go without bursting my stitches, I popped two of these pills. Had them 9:30pm and almost exactly 3 hours later I was able to go. It was still mega painful but I was just so relieved. Maybe if I had been able to sleep it would have been liquid by morning but I actually can't sleep with the pain; so I went as soon as I could. There may well be some awful tummy cramps to come and I might suffer with vomiting/sweating but it's a small price to pay. This drug worked for me that's all I can say"

Postbirth (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "For all you "horrible cramps, worst pain ever, bad drug" people. You had a blocked Bowel. The directions warn using it with that, yet the only way I've ever known I had a blocked bowel was when I was writhing in agony. So unless you have your own X-ray at home, I'm not sure how one would know. Anyways, it's not the laxative to blame, it's your condition. Remember why you took it? People always confuse causality. "I took X, then this happened. X is bad and at fault." It's more likely you would have gone through the same experience at a later time, and the laxative just brought it on sooner. I'm pretty sure stimulant laxatives increase the pain and severity of cramps, which is why it's warned for. Yet a blocked bowel is hell. Been there."

Paulito (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "Never had been constipated before first time, took 2 pills, nothing the same night until early the next morning, worst stomach cramps ever, nausea, light headedness, diarrhea. Never again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Correctol (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Worst stomach pain of my life. Agonizingly painful. Never again. Took 3 for severe constipation. Debating on going to the ER if the pain comes back..."

Tlm000311 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "11pm Saturday night - took two tablets Early hours Sunday - a few cramps through the night, nothing unbearable 7am Sunday - sweating, diarrhoea, dry heaving, stomach cramps like the worst hunger pain I've ever felt, I had to lay on the cold bathroom floor for some relief from the sweats and the stomach cramps, left sweat marks all over the floor. 10pm Sunday - I am still having stomach cramps every 20 minutes or so on and off, even as I write this. What a vile drug! Never again *sobs*"

HLR19 August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Took 2 tablets 2.30pm, bowel motion and diarrhea 6 hours later with painful stomach cramps and nausea, continued on and off for a few hours. At 6.30pm the following day still experiencing stomach pains and back pains. Not a gentle drug. Will use herbal next time. Would not give to children."

C.n.Roberts August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took 2 yesterday at 11:30pm then 5 minutes later I read the reviews and to my dismay the reviews were terrible and I started to panic and wish I didn't buy it!! So I was up all night thinking I'll have the worst stomach cramps and vomiting. I woke up at 4:00am and went toilet. No cramping. Then at 6:am no cramping but did let everything out!!! I was worried for nothing, but because of the reviews I will be sticking to natural tea."

Maryjaneffs (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I have been dealing with degenerative disc disease (not really a disease) was told after I had to go to the chiropractor since on Wednesday I couldn't hardly walk. Well not being having to have a bm came with that back pain I could only pee nothing else.. well come Friday still in back pain going to the chiropractor he tells to try a laxative (oh I couldn't even feel that's how bad it was) anyways I pick this up with gas x, I take 2 gas x and 2 of these have something to eat even though I wasn't hungry and about an hour I have to go finally and easy! Hours later I have something to eat again and then diarrhea came (after having tums and going "normal" bm) but no cramping or any bad pains! Would definitely take again if it got as bad as it"

Pinky1031 August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took 2 dulcolax tablets thinking that just one wouldn't work. 4 hours after I felt instant relief but I had loose bowels for 10 days straight and lost 12 pounds over the course of those days. It did what it said it would do so 10/10 from me"

Karatekickmakemesick August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Don't take this drug for just constipation. It will cause severe diarrhea and your bottom will be glued to the toilet bowl for a few hours. It IS good to take if you are having a colonoscopy procedure. But if you are looking for relief from constipation do not take this, it is too harsh. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I had mild constipation and took 2 Dulcolax pills at about 8 p.m. Normal dose for children and adults is 1-3 tablets. I woke up at 10:30 p.m. with severe burning and cramps in my stomach. I also felt very nauseous. I had to get out of bed and run back and forth to the bathroom for 3 hours with severe abdominal pain and cramping. By 1:30 a.m. I was able to sleep but still uncomfortable. It is about 8:00 a.m. now and I just took immodium to stop the diarrhea. I will never take this drug again and certainly would advise against giving it to small adults or children."

M1chellee August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "I took 4 dulcolax against the package directions which indicate to take only 1. I didn't have cramping or an explosive bm. When I did finally poo about 12 hours after taking the pills, it was slow and required lots of effort and pushing. I didn't get everything out as desired...but I did at least have a bm."

Beej75767 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "I am under the care of a gastro and just switched my prescription meds since the initial one stopped working. Before starting the new med my dr gave me a concoction to follow to clean out my system first. I tried one pill of 6-12 hour relief but nothing happened. The dr then told me to take 2. I took 2 a few days later about 7pm. At 2am I woke up with the worst cramps. I went to the bathroom and nothing. Hot flashes and lightheadness started. I had to crawl out the bathroom to my bedroom floor and lay in the fetal position while calling out to my sleeping bf to get me ice and a washcloth. After the hot flashes and lightheadedness subsided went back to the bathroom and finally had diahreah. The cramps took a several hours 2 stop. Horrible"

Jaye80 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "I took one 5mg Bisacodyl on Monday at 5pm. My stomach felt different and I felt a little bit odd but by 3 am when I went to bed it didn't do anything. Took another on Tuesday and drank a ton of water. Had a very minor and small bm twice that day but did not get rid of constipation. Wednesday I finally had one medium bm and a few hours later, a runny bm. Took another today (Thursday) and only getting results after consuming prunes, pistachios, tons of water, and a mixture of warm cinnamon, lemon, Apple cider vinegar and ginger water. This stuff is weak and disappointing. The reviews on here are so over dramatic. Start with one, see if it works. For me it certainly didn't."

Ineffective (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "Took 2 dulcolax before bed for some GENTLE overnight relief (or so says the box) I woke up, had a small BM and thinking that was the end of it proceeded on a 6 hr. solo drive. I felt strangely anxious the whole trip. Later that evening still feeling inexplicably nervous, we went out to dinner. I ran to the restaurant bathroom for an urgent BM. That's over I thought. Silly me. I proceeded to walk the mile or so to my daughter's home when with absolutely no warning ...you guessed it. I pooped myself. 24 hours after I took those evil pills. Epic. In public. No control. First time in my life. I waddled to her house, covered in poo, showered, and googled this site and was reassured by and laughing at other horror stories. NEVER AGAIN"

gentlemyass August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "So, I had some health issues lately that had me taking narcotic pain medication for about 2 weeks- one of the side effects of narcotics is constipation- being a nurse I knew I needed a stool softener while on the narcotics so I was taking Colace twice a day. After 4-5 days with no BM I decided to take 2 Dulcolax for some help- NEVER AGAIN!! After about 10 hours I was cramping, sweating, light headed and in so much pain I could hardly walk- yes I was able to have a BM but not before vomiting everywhere.... the side effects of this Medication are not worth the pain! I felt like a knife was turning in my stomach and started on fire..."

Brixoxoswi (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax (bisacodyl) for Constipation: "Hello fellow constipated friends! I really don't recommend this seemingly "Gentle" pill. I've always had bowel problems, ( Not IBS ) just not the greatest stomach. I was constipated, due to my period, when I found this in the drug store. It said it was gentle, so I thought I would give it a go. Took one pill around 1:00 am, after getting back from a cook out. Woke up at 5;00 with excruciating cramps, worse than menstrual cramps, that would not go away. Ran to the toilet and had the worse diarrhea of my life. This makes you go, but if you would like to venture to hell and back, be my guest. Never ever using this again."

Chika3535 August 12, 2017