Fleet Bisacodyl Enema
Generic Name: bisacodyl (bis-AK-oh-dil)
Brand Name: Fleet Bisacodyl Enema
Fleet Bisacodyl Enema is used for:
Relieving occasional constipation and irregularity. It may be used to cleanse the bowel before certain medical procedures (eg, rectal examinations). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fleet Bisacodyl Enema is a stimulant laxative. It acts directly on the bowels, stimulating the bowel muscles to cause a bowel movement.
Do NOT use Fleet Bisacodyl Enema if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fleet Bisacodyl Enema
- you have severe stomach pain, appendicitis, fecal impaction, stomach bleeding, an obstruction of your intestinal tract, or rectal bleeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, a fluid or electrolyte disturbance, nausea, vomiting, or undiagnosed stomach pain
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fleet Bisacodyl Enema. However, no specific interactions with Fleet Bisacodyl Enema are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Fleet Bisacodyl Enema may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fleet Bisacodyl Enema:
Use Fleet Bisacodyl Enema as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before and after using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema.
- Lie on left side with knee bent and arms resting comfortably. You may also kneel, then lower head and chest forward until left side of face is resting on surface with left arm folded comfortably.
- Remove protective shield from enema tip.
- Gently insert enema tip into rectum using steady pressure with a slight side-to-side movement, with tip pointing toward navel. Do not force the enema tip into rectum because this can cause injury. Insertion may be easier if you bear down as if having a bowel movement because this helps to relax the muscles around the anus.
- Squeeze bottle until nearly all the liquid is gone. It is not necessary to empty the bottle completely because it contains more liquid than needed.
- Remove enema from rectum and maintain position until the urge to evacuate the bowels is strong (5 to 20 minutes if possible).
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Fleet Bisacodyl Enema is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Fleet Bisacodyl Enema and are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fleet Bisacodyl Enema.
Important safety information:
- Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor. If you overuse Fleet Bisacodyl Enema, it may damage your bowel.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Fleet Bisacodyl Enema unless directed by your doctor.
- Rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use of a laxative may be a sign of a serious condition. Stop use and contact your doctor.
- If you develop nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain, stop using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema and check with your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, do not continue using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema. Instead, check with your doctor.
- Use Fleet Bisacodyl Enema with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially weakness and low blood pressure due to electrolyte loss.
- Fleet Bisacodyl Enema should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema while pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding take Fleet Bisacodyl Enema, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fleet Bisacodyl Enema:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cramps; faintness; rectal burning; stomach pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps. Fleet Bisacodyl Enema may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Fleet Bisacodyl Enema:
Store Fleet Bisacodyl Enema at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Fleet Bisacodyl Enema out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fleet Bisacodyl Enema, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fleet Bisacodyl Enema is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Fleet Bisacodyl Enema or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Fleet Bisacodyl Enema. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Fleet Bisacodyl Enema. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Fleet Bisacodyl Enema.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Fleet Bisacodyl (bisacodyl)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: laxatives