User Reviews for Docusate

Also known as: Aqualax, Calcium Stool Softener, Calube, Colace, Colace Micro-Enema, Correctol Softgel Extra Gentle, D-S Caps, DC-240, Dialose, Diocto, Dioctocal, Dioctosoftez, Dioctyn, Dioeze, Dionex, Doc-Q-Lace, Docu, Docu Soft, Docucal, Doculase, Docuprene, Docusil, Docusoft S, DocuSol, DocuSol Kids, DOK, DOS, Doss-Relief, DSS, Dulcolax Stool Softener, Enemeez Mini, Ex-Lax Stool Softener, Fleet Sof-Lax Stool Softener, Genasoft, Kao-Tin, Kaopectate Stool Softener, Kasof, Modane Soft, Octycine-100, Octycine-250, Pedia-Lax Liquid Stool Softener, Pedia-Lax Stool Softener, Phillips Stool Softener, Promolaxin, Regulax SS, Silace, Sulfalax Calcium, Sulfolax, Sur-Q-Lax, Surfak, Surfak Stool Softener, Therevac-SB, Vacuant …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Docusate.

Constipation
7.2

Summary of Docusate reviews 7.2 12 reviews

Reviews for Docusate

For Constipation: "Took 100mg daily in the hospital and it did nothing. My stools were somewhat softer but they still would not pass. I stopped taking it for awhile but after trying high fiber foods to keep me regular, this only helped a little. I needed to drink more water. I ended up on an osmotic laxative and it helped quite a bit but the medication is very expensive and my insurance won't cover it. Finally, I end up using Colace again but this time I took the maximum dose of 300mg before bed. This am I had a bowel movement that was easy but incomplete. So tonight I took another 300mg dose. We shall see how it goes. I am weary of dealing with this chronic problem. Any one have any other suggestions?"

Andromeda Galaxy November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "I suffer from hemorrhoids and straining with constipation and my doctor prescribed me Docusate Sodium and I tried it for 6 months. The first maybe 3 months were great but afterwards it started to fail on my and I was back to straining letting out very little BM and someday I would just push and push and then it would all come out and I would be hurting. I don't recommend this pill soft gel to anyone. I now use MiraLax and it is very effective. I love using MiraLax. It works 100% better.."

Jayy92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "Because of the side effects of the meds I take to address my arthritic lumbar and cervical spine and the resulting chronic back and sciatic pain, I would be severely chronically constipated were it not for daily ingestion of: 1. a dissolvable fiber supplement 2. VERY large doses of docusate sodium 3. senna laxative Any one of the above alone was not sufficient. So I only rate this med a 6."

cbaker853 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dulcolax Stool Softener (docusate) for Constipation: "Still hard after a few consecutive daily doses"

Ray.Zen October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "The other medications I take cause some constipation issues. I was placed on Docusate to help ease that. I find 200 mg a day helps immensely. Sometimes (not trying to be gross here) I will get REALLY plugged up. Taking an extra Docusate, for a total of 300 mg, works like a charm. Awesome medication for someone who struggles with mild to moderate daily constipation."

Jwright7784 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "My wife who has Alzheimer's is trying this but is experiencing cramps at night and I suspect it is from this pill. It is softening the bowel motion but the cramping is a bit much, so will try something else. "

big Al pool May 14, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "On first 5 days doses it was so effective, but gradually after the fifth day its effect totally decreased, now after a month it has no effect and I believe it causes more constipation. That also was reported from another person I know."

wanees May 28, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: "Due to so many heart medications and other medications that I take, I have to be careful of anything OTC and Colace is so gentle. It doesn't ever cause cramping or discomfort. It literally does the job nicely. I recommend 100%, something I don't often do. You can take this without being nervous or afraid."

thissiteishelpful January 31, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ex-Lax Stool Softener (docusate) for Constipation: "I've used Ex-lax several times to help me with constipation due to other medications. I use the one that tastes like chocolate. It's delicious and so easy to take, it's like eating a piece of chocolate. I don't give it a 10 because of the cramps. They're not that bad and I imagine is normal, but apart from that it works very well."

Micfe September 10, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: "Helps stop the pain of feeling constipated, and my stool isn't runny."

Anonymous May 20, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation: "I have been on opioid therapy, which causes constipation. My physician ordered me senna s, which is fiber based, with the s being a stimulant. I get cramps when I take the senna, but I don't with this docusate. It works well for me. My only concern is I can't find any information on extended use. I've been using it daily for about 2 weeks, and very thankful."

happy2bgina December 22, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Enemeez Mini (docusate) for Constipation: "The only problem we experienced was the size of the tube. My wife was in a bad auto accident in 1962. Her pelvis was busted up among many other major injuries. She is confined to a wheelchair, so I have to administer the enema. The small size makes it a bit difficult to use but it works great!"

Anonymous August 6, 2009