User Reviews for Docusate

Also known as: Colace, DOK, Dulcolax Stool Softener, Doc-Q-Lace, Docu, Phillips Stool Softener, Docusil, Silace, Doculase, Surfak, DSS, Calcium Stool Softener, Correctol Softgel Extra Gentle, Dioctyn, Dionex, Enemeez Mini, Pedia-Lax Liquid Stool Softener, Dialose, DC-240, DOS, Dioeze, Aqualax, Dioctocal, Dioctosoftez, Docuprene, Docu Soft, Docucal, Docusoft S, Calube, D-S Caps, Ex-Lax Stool Softener, Genasoft, Sur-Q-Lax, Doss-Relief, Fleet Sof-Lax Stool Softener, Colace Micro-Enema, DocuSol Kao-Tin Pedia-Lax Stool Softener Promolaxin DocuSol Kids Diocto …show all brand names

Constipation
5.9

Reviews for Docusate

thissiteishelpful January 31, 2011

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Due to so many heart medications and other medications that I take, I have to be careful of anything OTC and Colace is so gentle. It doesn't ever cause cramping or discomfort. It literally does the job nicely. I recommend 100%, something I don't often do. You can take this without being nervous or afraid.”

Anon70 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2018

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Epidurals after surgery left me constipated. On hospital departure, single 100mg tabs of Colace prescribed for bedtime and worked overnight. When I stopped using Colace, constipation returned because I have been told not to strain at BM time because I still have abdominal stitches. On return to Colace, it again worked overnight. I'm impressed”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 16, 2020

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “After taking Colace everyday for a year, my platelet count went down so low that my doctor thought I had cancer. I told him that I read that it could happen taking this drug. I went off of it and three weeks later had another test and it was normal. I take fiber in a powder form now which is safe.”

Angry Consumer · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Horrible vertigo hours after first and only dose. Still dizzy next morning. Thought I was it was the end of me! Never had a bad reaction to a drug before. Threw the whole bottle away. Beware of this medication.”

Suzie-Q · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2021

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “I was given colace after abdominal/intestinal surgery. I have a history of chronic constipation and did not want it to interfere with healing. My doctor has me consuming 40 grams of fiber daily and drinking 8 glasses of liquid. I take one Colace in the morning and it works every time! I am pleased with it. I do not know how long its effectiveness will continue, i.e., will I build up a tolerance to it? I hope not.”

Booger · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

For Constipation: “I took docusate after surgery for stool softener, then for constipation with pain medicine. NAUSEA! I thought it was pain medicine causing it, it wasn't. It was this stool softener! Had medicine for nausea. That was worse side effects. Stopped stool softener, no nausea anymore and no constipation! It wasn't brand name Colace. It was docusate sodium. Has anyone experienced such a horrible side effect? No vomiting, just dry heaves. Thank goodness I discovered what the problem was.”

wanees May 28, 2011

For Constipation: “On first 5 days doses it was so effective, but gradually after the fifth day its effect totally decreased, now after a month it has no effect and I believe it causes more constipation. That also was reported from another person I know.”

Jwright7784 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2016

For Constipation: “The other medications I take cause some constipation issues. I was placed on Docusate to help ease that. I find 200 mg a day helps immensely. Sometimes (not trying to be gross here) I will get REALLY plugged up. Taking an extra Docusate, for a total of 300 mg, works like a charm. Awesome medication for someone who struggles with mild to moderate daily constipation.”

Debbie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2021

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Colace doesn't work for me at all. I've been using it for two months now and stool is still hard and constipated. I drink lots of water so that's not the issue. I guess it's not for everyone and I won't be using it anymore.”

Alasklady · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

For Constipation: “I suffer from IBS constipation, especially around my time of month. I have tried this a few times and while I usually have a bowel movement, I end up with a lot of water retention and bloating with about a 5-10lb water weight gain. I’m still trying to find a laxative that doesn’t give me major bloating. I drink tons of water and eat a high fiber diet, not sure why this causes me so much bloating- I look 6 months pregnant.”

happy2bgina December 22, 2009

For Constipation: “I have been on opioid therapy, which causes constipation. My physician ordered me senna s, which is fiber based, with the s being a stimulant. I get cramps when I take the senna, but I don't with this docusate. It works well for me. My only concern is I can't find any information on extended use. I've been using it daily for about 2 weeks, and very thankful.”

erica · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2018

For Constipation: “I took one pill and 8 hours later I was on the toilet with HORRIBLE stomach cramps, the worst cramps I have had in awhile. I thought I was going to throw up the pain was so bad. Since then I have had constant diarrhea. I have been taking pepto and Imodium to stop things back up. Helping some. I can't believe this had such a horrible effect on me and some people it doesn't help much at all. I did use the dollar general brand if that would make a difference.”

big Al pool May 14, 2014

For Constipation: “My wife who has Alzheimer's is trying this but is experiencing cramps at night and I suspect it is from this pill. It is softening the bowel motion but the cramping is a bit much, so will try something else. ”

Jayy92 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2017

For Constipation: “I suffer from hemorrhoids and straining with constipation and my doctor prescribed me Docusate Sodium and I tried it for 6 months. The first maybe 3 months were great but afterwards it started to fail on my and I was back to straining letting out very little BM and someday I would just push and push and then it would all come out and I would be hurting. I don't recommend this pill soft gel to anyone. I now use MiraLax and it is very effective. I love using MiraLax. It works 100% better..”

Micfe September 10, 2010

Ex-Lax Stool Softener (docusate) for Constipation: “I've used Ex-lax several times to help me with constipation due to other medications. I use the one that tastes like chocolate. It's delicious and so easy to take, it's like eating a piece of chocolate. I don't give it a 10 because of the cramps. They're not that bad and I imagine is normal, but apart from that it works very well.”

Anonymous August 6, 2009

Enemeez Mini (docusate) for Constipation: “The only problem we experienced was the size of the tube. My wife was in a bad auto accident in 1962. Her pelvis was busted up among many other major injuries. She is confined to a wheelchair, so I have to administer the enema. The small size makes it a bit difficult to use but it works great!”

Andromeda Galaxy November 9, 2017

For Constipation: “Took 100mg daily in the hospital and it did nothing. My stools were somewhat softer but they still would not pass. I stopped taking it for awhile but after trying high fiber foods to keep me regular, this only helped a little. I needed to drink more water. I ended up on an osmotic laxative and it helped quite a bit but the medication is very expensive and my insurance won't cover it. Finally, I end up using Colace again but this time I took the maximum dose of 300mg before bed. This am I had a bowel movement that was easy but incomplete. So tonight I took another 300mg dose. We shall see how it goes. I am weary of dealing with this chronic problem. Any one have any other suggestions?”

Faith · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2020

For Constipation: “I was given this medication to prevent constipation after surgery even though I have IBS & was previously taking linzess (which was VERY unpleasant causing severe cramping before release, but that was my life with IBS)”

JonD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2020

For Constipation: “Found the 100mg docusate pills effective. The liquid form, even dispersed in fluids has a mawkish taste and an irritation in the throat that almost borders on injury, like you got a snootful of too-hot coffee through a straw. I did, in fact, take it through a straw to keep as much of it out of my mouth as possible. The liquid form was also ridiculously more expensive/mg than the capsules. I don't take it for constipation, but to soften stools, which it's very good at and doesn't have the gassy effect of polyethylene glycol types.”

cbaker853 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 6, 2016

For Constipation: “Because of the side effects of the meds I take to address my arthritic lumbar and cervical spine and the resulting chronic back and sciatic pain, I would be severely chronically constipated were it not for daily ingestion of: 1. a dissolvable fiber supplement 2. VERY large doses of docusate sodium 3. senna laxative Any one of the above alone was not sufficient. So I only rate this med a 6.”

Anon70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

“Gelcaps with 100mg of docusate were prescribed after prostate surgery as a stool softener. I take one docusate gelcap with half of a bran muffin and half of a 6oz can of prune juice after the evening meal, as opposed to any dessert. In the morning, I take the other half of the can of prune juice, pour it into hot coffee and eat the other half of the bran muffin. Works wonders in a few minutes as a stool softener at the expense of the hot coffee which tastes funny and smells awful!”

Anonymous May 20, 2010

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Helps stop the pain of feeling constipated, and my stool isn't runny.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Works well every day...no side effects...so far great!”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “Did not work...don't waste your money because there are many others available that are much better”

Joker · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

Colace (docusate) for Constipation: “this the worse product I've been told to use. It hasn't helped with bowel movements at all and it was not cheap either. I wouldn't recommend to any one....”