User Reviews for Docusate to treat Constipation

Also known as: Colace, DOK, Dulcolax Stool Softener, Surfak, Doc-Q-Lace, DSS, Silace, Docusil, Docu, Enemeez Mini, Promolaxin, Surfak Stool Softener, Dioctyn, Phillips Stool Softener, Doculase, Diocto, Dialose, DC-240, Kasof, Sulfalax Calcium, DOS, Modane Soft, Regulax SS, Dioeze, Aqualax, Dioctocal, Dioctosoftez, Dionex, Docuprene, Docu Soft, Docucal, Docusoft S, Calcium Stool Softener, Calube, D-S Caps, Ex-Lax Stool Softener, Genasoft, Sur-Q-Lax, Doss-Relief, Fleet Sof-Lax Stool Softener, Colace Micro-Enema, Correctol Softgel Extra Gentle, Therevac-SB, Octycine-100, Octycine-250, Sulfolax, DocuSol, Kaopectate Stool Softener, Kao-Tin, Pedia-Lax Stool Softener, Pedia-Lax Liquid Stool Softener, Vacuant, DocuSol Kids …show all brand names

Docusate Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 140 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Docusate

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

"I was recently prescribed this medication to aid in not being constipated. But it's beyond nasty and makes me feel sick and I'm not just unable to vomit but I cannot get the taste out of my mouth."

Alasklady · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

"I suffer from IBS constipation, especially around my time of month. I have tried this a few times and while I usually have a bowel movement, I end up with a lot of water retention and bloating with about a 5-10lb water weight gain. I’m still trying to find a laxative that doesn’t give me major bloating. I drink tons of water and eat a high fiber diet, not sure why this causes me so much bloating- I look 6 months pregnant."

Anon70 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2018

Colace (docusate): "Epidurals after surgery left me constipated. On hospital departure, single 100mg tabs of Colace prescribed for bedtime and worked overnight. When I stopped using Colace, constipation returned because I have been told not to strain at BM time because I still have abdominal stitches. On return to Colace, it again worked overnight. I'm impressed"

Joker · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

Colace (docusate): "this the worse product I've been told to use. It hasn't helped with bowel movements at all and it was not cheap either. I wouldn't recommend to any one...."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

Colace (docusate): "Works well every day...no side effects...so far great!"

erica · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2018

"I took one pill and 8 hours later I was on the toilet with HORRIBLE stomach cramps, the worst cramps I have had in awhile. I thought I was going to throw up the pain was so bad. Since then I have had constant diarrhea. I have been taking pepto and Imodium to stop things back up. Helping some. I can't believe this had such a horrible effect on me and some people it doesn't help much at all. I did use the dollar general brand if that would make a difference."

Mic · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2018

"Works but I have to take at least 4 per day."

Andromeda Galaxy November 9, 2017

"Took 100mg daily in the hospital and it did nothing. My stools were somewhat softer but they still would not pass. I stopped taking it for awhile but after trying high fiber foods to keep me regular, this only helped a little. I needed to drink more water. I ended up on an osmotic laxative and it helped quite a bit but the medication is very expensive and my insurance won't cover it. Finally, I end up using Colace again but this time I took the maximum dose of 300mg before bed. This am I had a bowel movement that was easy but incomplete. So tonight I took another 300mg dose. We shall see how it goes. I am weary of dealing with this chronic problem. Any one have any other suggestions?"

Jayy92 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2017

"I suffer from hemorrhoids and straining with constipation and my doctor prescribed me Docusate Sodium and I tried it for 6 months. The first maybe 3 months were great but afterwards it started to fail on my and I was back to straining letting out very little BM and someday I would just push and push and then it would all come out and I would be hurting. I don't recommend this pill soft gel to anyone. I now use MiraLax and it is very effective. I love using MiraLax. It works 100% better.."

cbaker853 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 6, 2016

"Because of the side effects of the meds I take to address my arthritic lumbar and cervical spine and the resulting chronic back and sciatic pain, I would be severely chronically constipated were it not for daily ingestion of: 1. a dissolvable fiber supplement 2. VERY large doses of docusate sodium 3. senna laxative Any one of the above alone was not sufficient. So I only rate this med a 6."

Ray.Zen October 6, 2016

Dulcolax Stool Softener (docusate): "Still hard after a few consecutive daily doses"

Jwright7784 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2016

"The other medications I take cause some constipation issues. I was placed on Docusate to help ease that. I find 200 mg a day helps immensely. Sometimes (not trying to be gross here) I will get REALLY plugged up. Taking an extra Docusate, for a total of 300 mg, works like a charm. Awesome medication for someone who struggles with mild to moderate daily constipation."

big Al pool May 14, 2014

"My wife who has Alzheimer's is trying this but is experiencing cramps at night and I suspect it is from this pill. It is softening the bowel motion but the cramping is a bit much, so will try something else. "

wanees May 28, 2011

"On first 5 days doses it was so effective, but gradually after the fifth day its effect totally decreased, now after a month it has no effect and I believe it causes more constipation. That also was reported from another person I know."

thissiteishelpful January 31, 2011

Colace (docusate): "Due to so many heart medications and other medications that I take, I have to be careful of anything OTC and Colace is so gentle. It doesn't ever cause cramping or discomfort. It literally does the job nicely. I recommend 100%, something I don't often do. You can take this without being nervous or afraid."

Micfe September 10, 2010

Ex-Lax Stool Softener (docusate): "I've used Ex-lax several times to help me with constipation due to other medications. I use the one that tastes like chocolate. It's delicious and so easy to take, it's like eating a piece of chocolate. I don't give it a 10 because of the cramps. They're not that bad and I imagine is normal, but apart from that it works very well."

Anonymous May 20, 2010

Colace (docusate): "Helps stop the pain of feeling constipated, and my stool isn't runny."

happy2bgina December 22, 2009

"I have been on opioid therapy, which causes constipation. My physician ordered me senna s, which is fiber based, with the s being a stimulant. I get cramps when I take the senna, but I don't with this docusate. It works well for me. My only concern is I can't find any information on extended use. I've been using it daily for about 2 weeks, and very thankful."

Anonymous August 6, 2009

Enemeez Mini (docusate): "The only problem we experienced was the size of the tube. My wife was in a bad auto accident in 1962. Her pelvis was busted up among many other major injuries. She is confined to a wheelchair, so I have to administer the enema. The small size makes it a bit difficult to use but it works great!"