User Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide to treat Constipation

Also known as: Milk of Magnesia, Pedia-Lax Chewable Tablets, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax Milk of Magnesia

Magnesium hydroxide has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 80% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Magnesium hydroxide Rating Summary

8.5/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2021

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I would never use this again. It says no cramping. I got horrible cramps and diarrhea and burning in my rectum. Terrible experience”

Papa July 16, 2021

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Can you hydrate yourself periodically after the initial 5 ounces of water you take with the MOM? Or does it lesson the effectiveness of the MOM?”

Aly · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2021

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I have been constipated because of my protein intake. Sometimes pooping pebbles like so I decided to take Milk of Magnesia. Already felt the urge to go to the toilet 20 mins after taking 45 ml. Had several trips to the bathroom for about 3-4 hrs. Totally emptied my stomach.”

Lee Lee · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I am AMAZED!! Yes, by the product, but more so by the amount of people that are blaming MOM for heartburn. People who have terrible heartburn and side cramps in the few hours after taking this product, are only experiencing their body's next progression of what happens when you are constipated -- that is not MOM's fault! This product does reverse the blockage over a course of taking the correct dosage -- but if you have severe constipation, it might take over 2 days to move it. So, do not expect to reverse your problem in 6 hours what took your body DAYS to build up. Be wise and drink the water -- that's what helps it work. Oh . . . .and the diarrhea everyone is COMPLAINING about . . .HOW did they expect it to come out? In a box with a bow? Works great -- be patient. It even says it is overnight relief, so that's at least 6 to 10 hours. Feel better and listen to MoM!!”

Pregggggggg September 10, 2020

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I haven’t had a bowel motion in days. I have been so backed up and anything I try to pass is 100% rock hard terrorizing pellets. I took it last night at 9ish and drank tons of water and I have been straining ALL NIGHT. Wow - help me I thought I was going to push out this baby instead of the rock in my booty. Finally at 5:30am I felt *it* I went to the toilet and braced the walls for what came next. One...two...three painful pellets then WHAM like Hiroshima- I was cleared of this butt block”

BC January 10, 2021

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “19 weeks pregnant and haven't had a decent bowel movement in a week. Took the maximum dose and never again. If I need to I might take a sip and see how that does. For me it worked within minutes and now here I am about 12 hours later and I can't even trust a fart. I sneezed in the shower last night and pooped all over myself.”

rhw.64 · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I was constipated for weeks and only had minimal bowel movements consisting of hard stool. I ate lots of fruit, prunes, flaxseed bread and upped my water intake but no relief. I resorted to Dulcolax and stool softeners which didn’t do much to ease the situation either. When I read good reviews about Milk of magnesia, I bought a bottle of the cherry flavour and took 2 tablespoons with a large glass of water at 930pm. Tasted gross and made me feel a little nauseous. Went to bed, no cramping all night. Next morning at 730am I had my first movement with some mild straining. At 10:30am another and at 3pm I had cleared out my bowels! I never had any cramping or diarrhea. I would definitely recommend using MOM for constipation! Don’t take too much, just be patient!”

Hay March 1, 2021

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Listen.. I have the worst bowels ever. I suffer daily from constipation. I have tried numerous medications and remedies to no avail. PLEASE USE THIS PRODUCT. I had a bowel movement within 30 minutes and within 2 hours I was literally CLEANSED from within. No joke. I usually suffer from hemorrhoids due to pushing. This literally turns everything into water with no issues, other than maybe a rogue poo here & there. Just try it!”

Mr Regular · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “So a bit about me I am a regular guy, regular build, height, size. Aged 61 and a Leo (not that this makes a difference). When I say I'm a regular guy I mean that in the last 60 odd years I have been as regular as clockwork in the BM (Bowel Movement) department That was until last Saturday morning. WARNING GRAPHIC DETAILS FOLLOW: (Written in laymen's terms) Day 1: Saturday I awoke went to the loo, nothing happened! I sat there needing a wee and if you are like me during or shortly after I wee I poo. Not today! Got up off the loo and went about my day. Several times though the day I went and sat on the loo and tried to pee, with just a trickle for my efforts. I felt that I really needed a poo. As the day went on I felt almost as if each bum cheek was solid, I mean rock hard. (That's not good)I was thinking to myself. Still unable to poo and pushing on each bum cheek to try and move stuff about a bit in the hope that I might be able to squeeze a bit out. NOPE! Went to bed. Day 2: Sunday I awoke in the morning really really needing a wee and a poo. Still rock hard bum cheeks but now liquid poo was dripping/running out of my bum. This persisted throughout the day every time I sat on the loo. I spent four hours sitting there trying desperately to go the pain was so bad I was literally screaming in pain. The pain was situated mostly around my perineum. I would describe pain as having an elephant standing with its back legs on your dick and its front legs bouncing on your bladder OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOuch! This continued all day. I tried two table spoons of olive oil mixed with fresh lemon juice and Loads of water. NOTHING! Day 3: Monday Woke up went the loo worked on massaging each bum cheek had a small motion when I say small I mean the size of a pea. I was however able to pea (opps I mean pee) still rock hard impacted bum dripping with runny poo. I worked on each bum cheek rubbing and massaging as I sat on the loo for what seemed like most of the day gradually I was able to work most of it out as it became slightly softer. Day 4: Tuesday Woke up still unable to poo but weeing with ease when I needed to Bum cheeks felt normal (bit saggy as I'm getting older, I used to be such a fit tasty kind of guy with a great arse). Today I am getting worried as I have never had anything like this happen to me I have always been fit and active never taking any time off. I go on the internet and find this forum. After looking at loads of others I am not anti-meds but only use them as a last resort if all else seems to fail. (I am a forth degree Reiki Master Practitioner and a black belt so fairly fit most of life) I remember my mother used Milk of Magnesia so after reading the comments here went and got some and took 15ml at 17:00 (I did read the instructions but decided to take some) my thinking was before I go to bed wrong! Nothing happened so at 23:00 I took another 10ml and went bed. Day5: Wednesday I awoke feeling as I had done for the last 4 days still wanting a poo desperately wanting a poo and pissed off that the MOM had not worked yet. I sat on the loo had pee and and nothing! Went outside to inflate my wife's car tyre which has a very slow puncture so got the compressor out attached it to the valve and as I bent over I thought to myself I think I need to go to the loo. So slowly walked back indoors (no urgency at all) sat on the loo and my bum exploded in an instant with such force that it truly stunned me OMG! No pain. No cramp. No nothing; almost no sensation at all, except the most amazing feeling of not being full of poo (which I have been accused of on more than one occasion) (wrongly I have to say being a Leo apart from the last 5 poo filled days) Been twice again since this morning it's now 14:15 and having just finished this felt I had to say is fanbloodytastic. Be warned it can happen very very quickly and almost violently when it does, in my case without any warning and I'm happy to say without any pain or cramping at all (just lots and lots of noise and splashing and shouts from me (not of pain but of great relief. That must be the understatement of the year) 10/10 for Milk of magnesium Once again Mr Regular!”

RELIEF... with a capital 'r' · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Thank you! I just finally passed 2 very large bowel motions Aaaaaaah.... I took the maximum 60ml at noon and laid down to take a nap to forget about all the pain I was in then at roughly 3pm my eyes popped wide open and made a bee line for the poor toilet. MoM always does the trick. Phew!! Probably the only medicine on the market that does what it says on the tin. Aah. Shew... You better stock up on this stuff before the liberals take it off the market for working too well.”

Kiwi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I have been constipated for most of my life, I am now 69 years old. Scopes in the past few years gave has shown a tortious sigmoid colon and diverticulosis. I was prescribed laxatives that cost $200.00 for two weeks. Not possible on retirement income. My Dr almost in passing said try MOM, it works for some people. I purchased a bottle and haven't looked back. Mostly regular soft bowel movements. If I eat something that would normally loosen the bowel I can experience limited diarrhea. The only side effect appears to be that my poop is now green I can live with that. Hope this helps someone.”

Sammy Neal · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 9, 2014

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Drinking a few extra 16oz bottles of water during the period after taking the Milk of Magnesia will help stop the painful hard stools constipation usually brings. It will help ease the release. There can be different amount of time you can expect the recommended dosage to work. For me it's best taken on an empty stomach. No food for 4 hours or more helps speed the desired effect. If it's been several days since you normally have movements it will also take longer for the effects to begin. Drink water, as much as you possibly can. If diarrhea occurs cut back on water. Take the prescribed dose, not more. Drinking lots of water along with sufficient fiber in my diet has become much easier than fighting with constant constipation.”

Turkey February 9, 2019

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I eat very healthy, plenty of fiber, drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise, but could’t poop for three days. I was only able to force out a small baby carrot sized BM once a day when I normally produce a lot more once a day. I continued to eat like normal expecting the big one to come, but it never happened. On day three, after I ate lunch, I felt so bloated and uncomfortable which was not normal. I also had such atrocious smelling farts that the government could have used the same smell as a biological weapon. At this point I started getting concerned. Went to the store and bought some M.O.M. Took the full dose at 9:00 pm. An hour later, I felt a slight urge to go. Sat on the toilet and it happened. The flood gates opened and the butt cork was now gone. It flowed out of my bottom like a faucet and it just kept on coming. Three flushes later I was finally able get up off of the toilet. Worked well for me. 10/10.”

Rabbit · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I just had a partial hysterectomy and a rectocele prolapse surgery and my bladder had to be placed in a sling. I am so very grateful for MOM because I can go to the bathroom without pushing. My doctor has me on 15ml every 8hrs and thats enough to clean me out. I was always prone to constipation once I got diagnosed with IBS constipation I was put on linzess 290mg and it works but I do have to push a lil to get things moving. I'm just really happy I have something that I can safely take everyday without pushing or straining.”

Preggo November 5, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Pregnant lady here. I had been suffering extreme constipation; no bowel movements for well over a week. I could feel the pressure in my pelvic area but couldn't get more than a few small pebbles at a time, and I had to labor for them. I drink plenty of water, eat healthy. No known medical issues aside from pregnancy, but this was getting ridiculous! My OBs office suggested MOM. I absolutely gagged drinking it, but 4 hours later... I was in so much pain I didn't think it was going to work the way intended. Then finally... I got up to the bathroom and that massive blockage is gone, and then some! Other things I'd try would leave my butt on fire, or feeling like it was going to rip in places! This stuff works on all levels! I don't know if I'm going to be getting a lot of sleep tonight, but my stomach is no longer hard, I'm no longer in pain, and my rectum is finally empty! It definitely feels like the medicine isn't finished with me yet, but I'm so relieved! This stuff works!”

Foodlover · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2015

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Warning. Once you have your first bowel movement it's all downhill from there. You have to keep going back to the bathroom Every 5 minutes because it just keeps coming, like diarrhea. I literally sat on the toilet for 2 hours.”

C.Crinkle December 2, 2014

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “After about 14 hours after taking it I didn't think it was going to work, but unfortunately it decided to kick in when I was in the middle of taking a shower. I won't go into anymore details, but be careful if you do take it. You never know when it'll decide to creep up on you.”

Tmp · Taken for 10 years or more July 13, 2019

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I get constipated almost every month, I have used MOM every since I remembered thats what my mother used to give me as a kid when I got blocked up, I take about two tea spoons at night and the next morning everything gets flushed out rather rapidly. No pain, just great relief.”

Mrs.Aguirre February 18, 2015

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Being 3 months pregnant I had a list of what I could take for constipation and since I haven't gone in 5 days I finally went to target and got Phillips milk of magnesia (cramp free) and about an hour 1/2 I had to go really bad I was on toilet for about 30 mins. Instant relief right away I even stopped having a headache! So definitely effective!”

Anonymous November 24, 2010

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Milk Of Magnesia is great. The only complaint for me was that the dose of 1 cup didn't work within 6 hours as advertised. It took about 10 hours instead. As time went by I had forgotten I took it; I went to a party and of course it started working there. To be predictable (2-3 hours) I have to take about 3-4 cups. The only problem with that is that you keep going once it starts working, even the following morning. However, it's very gentle, no cramps. When I need it I just plan on being home. It's the best.”

Bonnie Nuggetz · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2017

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I was backed up due to pain meds. Very uncomfortable. Took a full/big dose of MoM and drank a bunch of water. About 2-3 hours later, I had the most explosive diarrhea. It was AMAZING. I went from thinking I might have to go to ER to practically crying tears of joy and relief on the toilet while peeing out of my butt!!! Highly recommend this product to anyone who feels irregular . No cramps, no bad side effects. Just make sure you are near a toilet after you take it!!! Amen!”

Thank God it’s Over · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I wasn’t able to relieve myself for approximately 3 days. When I tried, it felt as though I was literally trying to pass a brick. My stool felt rock solid. I tried stool softeners for a day to no avail. Even tried to conduct my own digital removal of faeces (DRF) but the stool seemed out of my reach. On the final day, I was experiencing anal contractions but was still unable to defecate. I took MoM and the anal contractions worsened. After ~four hours I was able to relieve myself. My stool was so hard that all the water that MoM creates was absorbed. I believe I will have a few more bowel movements but the main clog has passed. Thank goodness!!”

StuffedBunny · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Did not have a BM for 8 days and became very bloated and uncomfortable. I took the maximum dose of Milk of Magnesia - MOM (45ml) at 17:45 and by 18:30 I passed a healthy BM. I'm very surprised MOM worked so well. I've struggled with constipation on and off for a few months now and I'm super happy I've discovered MOM.”

RRMD · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2020

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I figured I’d share in case others find themselves in the same predicament with constipation. I am on stool softeners and fiber supplements which normally keep me going but I went 4 days without a significant bowel movement and it was getting uncomfortable. I took the max dosage before bed and didn’t have a bowel movement the next day other than small hard stools. However, the day after literally everything came out. Just a heads up that it can take 1-2 days to work but it works well.”

MamaJ · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I had been constipated for a week so I decided to take some cherry MOM. I took the recommended adult dosage at 12 PM and by 1 PM I felt an awful pain in my stomach and rear end. I jumped up and ran to the bathroom. I was so relieved and thought it was over but NO. I've had diarrhea since. It's coming out explosively like water. Now my bum is sore. Yes, this works but be prepared to be near a toilet!!!!”

Al October 29, 2019

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “This medication is excellent. I have tried every constipation med in the US didn’t work, even prescription meds. If you are ever constipated go with phillips milk of magnesia (MOM) it will definitely work. Thank god.”

Mr Chronically Full · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2015

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I have been dealing with increasingly stubborn constipation over the last 5 years and nothing physically can be found to account for it. I've tried all sorts of products, changing parts of my diet, lots of water and that only ever partially work but never a complete or proper emptying and usually once a week. Finally bought MoM on my GP's suggestion and took the one cap full. Next morning I went quite a bit and only felt partially empty and the stool was still very dry. However, after that first day I went for a whole week following I went like a normal person, completely emptied my bowel without any effort and the stool was soft with normal amount of water content in it. I haven't experience anything like that for at least 5 years. Buy it!”

slevin1992 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2020

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I am a recovering addict taking methadone daily, this opiate (like 99%) of opioids it constipates me bad. Pooping once or twice a week. Never easy, usually tiny rock hard pellets. Tried a lot of things with nothing else worked so I tried MoM. downing two large "gulps" figuring it'd never work at doses lower than a bit over max- opps I was wrong! An hour later I'm hunched over catching my breath after the most explosive, frankly nasty yet super fulfilling movement... point? This stuff doesn't mess around!”