User Reviews for Magnesium hydroxide to treat Indigestion

Also known as: Milk of Magnesia, Pedia-Lax Chewable Tablets, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax Milk of Magnesia

Magnesium hydroxide has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Indigestion. 64% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Magnesium hydroxide Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 250 medications used in the treatment of Indigestion.

Booookook · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Chalk water for £6. ”

Asmaa · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “After several hours of taking the milk of magnesia, I started having body itching and some redness on my neck and shoulders.”

texasdan · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2019

“Yes it helps excess stomach acid but IBS sufferers beware! It gave me the runs bad!!!”

Anon70 · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2012

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Looking for a product to cut off GERD at early stage, I purchased Phillips Milk of Magnesia 12 oz. bottle that came with a measuring cap. The laxative dose is 2 to 4 Tbsp so I wanted somewhat less than 2 Tbsp for GERD. I assumed that the measuring cap was for medicinal Tbsps as distinguished from kitchenware Tbsps. Only after taking a bit less than 2 capfuls, upon rinsing the cap, did I notice that the cap is faintly marked for 4 Tbsps. I got more than the max recommended laxative dose! The good news is that it takes care of GERD. The other news is that it takes care of everything else starting a few hours later and continuing over an extended period of time. I was pleased with the GERD result but need to find a lower dose.”

Drewsuf November 2, 2015

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I had heartburn at my father's house and asked for a tumms. He said " this will help." And gave me a mostly full bottle of Phillips. Not knowing it was a laxative I took a nice pull from the bottle. It helped a small bit for the time being. On the way home my heartburn came back so one more nice slug. And just to be sure a third. By the time I was in the driveway I had nice rumble in my tummy but no heart burn. I talked to my girlfriend for while till nature called. I thought I got some bad food from the cafeteria at work. For a good two hours I have released myself and I am still going. I hoped online to check out milk of magnesia and now I'm here. Hope I will get to sleep tonight without ruining the sheets. It works and I'm all clean!”

city_guy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 18, 2013

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “Milk of Magnesia caplets and liquid work very well for indigestion in a small dose. Watch out for use on consecutive days because dosage is cumulative. When I took antacid doses on consecutive days, it worked as a mild laxative on the third day. Caplets are easier to handle than liquid, although caplets have a slightly chalky taste. Caplet flavors partially overcome chalky taste. Liquid has a uniquely strange flavor that the manufacturer tries to overcome with flavors.”

RRinCalif March 9, 2013

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “As an antacid, I allow one caplet 311mg. caplet to slowly dissolve in my mouth before bedtime. Although the use instructions say to chew up to 4 caplets for use as an antacid, by allowing a single caplet to slowly dissolve, less MoM is needed and it seems to work better. Its also better for me than liquid because the dose is more accurately controlled and when the caplet is allowed to slowly dissolve.”

Finally Going Steady · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “The first time I had taken MoM, it was for a few days constipation, and it worked overnight- I took the 1 tbsp (concentrate version) around 10pm before bed. It made me feel a bit nauseated, but I finally fell asleep and woke up around 8am to have a healthy movement. The second time I took MoM, it was for pretty bad indigestion and bloating, and I took the same dose as before, thinking I had until morning, at around 10:30pm. I was awoken at about 1am with the feeling like I had to pass gas, and I almost did, but not wanting to trust it, I carried myself to the throne, and I've been sitting here for 30 minutes now, with ALMOST diarrhea. Again, I felt nauseous taking it this time.”

Pdelia · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I think its a double edged sword, apparently I had some stomach flu or food poisoning, Symptoms were heartburn gas bloating and constipation. Took a few tablespoons of MOM. It did help with the constipation and gas, initially, unfortunately the side effects are gas and nausea. I have experienced gas and nausea from magnesium supplements before. So while it did help with my condition, I don't think overall its worthwhile for gas and heartburn, as it can irritate the stomach! At least mine anyway.”

Redz Da Chit August 9, 2016

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I have acid reflux and I love food, sometimes or most of the time I eat too much of the wrong foods and pay for it. Phillips mom relieves the pressure and is a blessing when I'm stuffed up and no bowel movement occurs so there's only discomfort. I also sleep so much better after going a cpl times, thank God for this magical medicine.”

Steve March 20, 2018

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide): “I had been feeling a little unwell with stomach aches and cramps as well as nausea for a few days and a friend suggested this medicine. About two hours after taking it things started to happen and I had the urge to go to the toilet. Sadly I had been offered a beer by a mate and totally forgot I'd taken this medicine what ensued were pretty bad cramps and some hard moments on the toilet. But ultimately all the bad stuff came out and the relief was fantastic. Just don't take and then have fizzy or alcoholic drinks.”

Learn more about Indigestion