User Reviews for Lurasidone to treat Schizophrenia

Also known as: Latuda

Lurasidone has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 104 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 51% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Lurasidone Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Lurasidone

Zoomindude July 19, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “Despite taking this awful medication with food, it made me feel ill. If I took it, I’d feel sick. If I didn’t take it, I also felt sick. It made me extremely stupid and unmotivated. I felt terrible. I also have possible Tourette’s which was made worse by latuda. I’m having slight tremors still. Switched to Paliperidone/invega. Hoping for better luck…”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have been taking Latuda for about 4 years now. I have to say the results have been amazing! Thank God! I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Hearing voices in my head was not my ideal life. The voices had me all over the place! With Latuda, I’ve been able to live a normal life again. Clear thoughts! The only thing is the price and some insomnia I experience, but with a prescription for insomnia it balances out. Definitely would recommend.”

Sick1234 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2021

Latuda (lurasidone): “I replaced seroquel with this , because seroquel wasn't giving me enough effect on high doses. I feel much better on Latuda and I sleep better too”

anonymous Latuda · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 1, 2019

Latuda (lurasidone): “I was insane, psychotic- atypical psychotic, talking to myself, feeling incredibly awful in so many ways and getting anxiety from losing my mind, Latuda has given me sanity, I can't rate it more highly, it has completely gotten rid of the psychosis and cleared my mind it is unbelievable. It hasn't caused weight gain like other anti-psychotics, it hasn't caused sleepiness like other anti-psychotics and altogether I have no side effects. live-saver.”

Trish_bartholomay · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2013

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The only thing I can complain about is the price and the zero appetite it gives me. It does cause severe drowsiness about 2 hours after taking it from me, but when I wake up I am refreshed and full of energy. Which is something I have never experienced. Being schizophrenic since I was 7, how I feel today is a God send. Thanks to Latuda I am finally starting to form a life.”

Tracy Woods · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 22, 2014

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have been taking Latuda for about two years now and I must say that it really works good for stopping the voices in my head. I also do not get depressed anymore like I was without the Latuda and my Bipolar disorder is a lot less hectic. I recommend this medication to anyone who might be suffering with Bipolar, Depression, and Scizophrenia. Latuda really works.”

RobinWren May 13, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “2 weeks ago I had a severe psychotic break despite both Abilify and Geodon. To avoid hospitalization, my doctor and I usually add Zyprexa, but I wanted to avoid the rapid weight gain, though it is otherwise a miracle drug. This time we tried Latuda. Within about 5 days my thoughts were much clearer, my energy higher, mood brighter. Overall Latuda seemed the medication I had been looking for: Zyprexa without side effects: no weight gain and no extreme sedation (in fact the opposite): I sleep fine at night. I do at times take a little Ativan, at night but not always. And I wake in the morning eager to rise and meet whatever the day brings. In short, I haven't felt better and more hopeful than this is a very long while.”

Rachel April 3, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia about 20 years ago. Being a 19 year old girl and being forced to take medicines like, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Clopixol and sometimes two at once. The side effects were horrendous. Took away my sex drive completely, at the worst I put on over 40kg in 3 months, I lactated for many years, my periods stopped. My whole world stopped how could I ever had a boyfriend or get married while piling on so much weight, eating and sleeping with no sex drive and leaking boobs Antipsych meds especially back then were horrendous in terms of side effects. I started Latuda roughly 7 years ago, so at the age of about 31 and finally I have my sex drive back although I don't believe it will ever be the same, at least I am back in working order there, my boobs no longer leak, I've lost some weight, and I can feel again. Downfall I can lose my patience quickly and over react. I balance that with a low dose antidepressant as an add on”

Corksters November 30, 2014

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda is the best mood stabilizer there is. At least for me. It certainly does not act like a stimulant towards depression and nor does it act like an SSRI. The medication is awesome because it feels more like a mood stabilizer than saying it's an anti psychotic even though it is, Latuda helps everything. And the side effects are minimal. I would recommend this medicine to who has depression, paranoia and bipolar disorder. ”

Deep Sea Philosopher March 18, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have been taking this medication for almost a month. I had a good experience at 40mg and opted to try the higher dosage of 80mg. It has been nothing short of amazing. I have been on every AAP except for Clozapine with mediocre to average results.. even in combinations. I do take the 80mg of Latuda with 300mg of Seroquel XR, but the Latuda has made a huge difference cognitively.”

flirtingwith40 March 1, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have been taking Latuda a little over a week. So far my experience with this medicine has been a positive one. I started out on 40mg but a few days later I was switched to 80mg. So far the only side effects I've had are an extremely dry mouth and loss of appetite. I am also taking Lithium and Artane. Will post more after I've been on Latuda a little while longer.”

40windmills · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 12, 2013

Latuda (lurasidone): “Excellent medicine in my experience. I've been taking it about 6 months. I'm now working and going to school full time. Anxiety has improved significantly, almost to pre-illness levels. I feel great cognitively (creative, zero psychotic symptoms, memory seems pretty sharp). Although I've never really gained weight on Risperidone for 2 years was relatively weight neutral. I've actually lost 5-10 lbs. since taking Latuda, pretty much without trying. The one minor annoyance would have to be that it requires 350 calories for full absorption and it puts me to sleep about an hour after taking it. I end up eating a small meal/snack before bed every night (yogurt, nuts, etc.).”

Weight gain will happen! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 27, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda does it's job as described. I never felt icky when I started it, like some meds do to you. I really stayed on an even keel while taking it, but when I started gaining weight, I was a little concerned. But 2 months and 40lbs later, I was surprised and disappointed. No, my eating habits didn't change, my exercise routine was still the same and I Still kept gaining weight. In the end, I gained 60+lbs. I told my doc I couldn't keep taking Latuda, I couldn't afford to buy a bunch of new clothes! It took about 6 months, but all the weight I had gained, gone. Again, no change in eating or exercise routines. All I can say is beware.”

Hip-Hop93sound · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2015

Latuda (lurasidone): “One day at work I felt an explosion in my head after that i thought that undercover cops were watching me following me couldn't sleep at all eventually had a psychotic break Checked in to Psycho ward released and prescribed Zyprexa. After gaining about 50 pounds and feeling like a zombie I tried latuda within a couple weeks started to feel better. I had much more energy sleeping a normal 6-8 hours wakeing up refreshed and ready to take on the day,confidence back able to go out in public.after a few months with an active life style all the weight i had gained on zyprexa fell off. normal again Great. Side Effects: memory loss,dry mouth. Dose:20 mg night”

Rob · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “At the max dose, Latuda works for me when nothing else did. It's been a literal life saver. I take it at night with food. I've woke up sweating one time. It does make me restless during the day so I pace a lot but because of that I'm really productive at work. I happily manage the couple side effects I experience to live free of psychosis.”

Tesa · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 22, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I started this med Latuda when I was locked up, and I'm so glad they put me on it. Immediately, the delusions were cut to a very minimum whisper. I have gained so much weight though, so now I'm looking for a diff med that won't cause me to have dyskinesia (I do with most) If anyone knows of anything similar to Latuda that won't cause me to keep ballooning, please please tell me.”

Maddy23 June 28, 2016

Latuda (lurasidone): “I remember going into a deep depression where I didn't want to live anymore. Being from an african background it was hard to explain this to my family as they don't believe in things like depression. This made things a bit worse for me. I would have panic attacks at work and suffer from racing suicidal thoughts. One day I had a psychotic episode and ended up being sectioned for a month. I refused medication at first because of all the horrible stories. However, I gave in. I started on 20mg then it was upped to 74mg. This was the greatest decision of my life. I have never felt so happy and grateful for my life. I can laugh again without faking my emotions, i can eat again I can sleep again. This is a miracle drug!!!!”

Trackmaker81 November 5, 2019

Latuda (lurasidone): “I took Latuda for three years until I figured out it was causing my anxiety attacks the whole time. It caused uncontrollable movements of my face, jaw, tongue, and hands. I also had restlessness, an uncontrollable urge to get up and walk around, self-isolation and fear of others, high blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, extreme sweating, trouble sleeping, blurred vision, weight gain, and racing thoughts. It was torture. I will take the chance of relapsing in order to determine if I will remain normal without meds. In these three years I never had any symptoms and I don't think it would be intelligent to immediately assume it was because the meds had been working the whole time. I now believe antipsychotics are not the end all solution to mental illness and more attentive and accurate evaluations of patients need to be conducted to get people off these horrible drugs as soon as possible.”

vellocent · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 28, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have schizoaffective disorder and Latuda gave me back my life back (along with an outpatient program and on other medications). I felt like me again. I went back to work at a part time job, because I'm not in psychosis or depressed all the time. I have my own apartment. I drive and own my own car. Pretty soon I'm going to try going off disability by working full time. It hasn't done everything, I still have delusions sometimes. I still had nasty side effects at first like akathisia and sleepiness. I get depression at times, mostly just not wanting to leave the bed.”

Anonymous August 4, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “This is the end of the second month on Latuda and I like it because there aren't any side effects. I sleep less than I did on the many other medicines I have tried. I'm finally losing weight (with the other medicines I'd gained 40 lbs). Overall I have more energy with this medicine and it seems to be very effective. I take a 40mg dosage.”

Glennon · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I am soooo happy that I gave in and tried this drug. I feel so much better, I even cleaned the house!!! I was so sick with racing thoughts snd cognitive issues, I am 51, and trying to hold a job. Latuda has kept me out of hospital. Best to take at night as there is a drowsy phase after dosing before the "straight ahead" as I call it phase, which is actually functioning well at job, chores, life...”

Anonymous July 27, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “This medication did not work well for me. I keep hearing voices while I go to sleep. It seems like the medication only works for 3 or 4 hours. Then, it stops working. I am also having a problem with center of balance with this medication. I keep having mini-vertigos. I saw the other ratings and I was tempted but this medication just did not workout for me.”

Cabbie · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda has been a godsend. I was able to control my worst symptoms of Schizoaffective disorder bipolar type both positive and negative with only tardive dyskinesia side affects. Taking it at night has helped mitigate some of them. Along with a few other drugs in my cocktail, I can basically function like a human being again. I've been on it for over a year and it has worked wonders.”

Anonymous August 28, 2011

Latuda (lurasidone): “My daughter takes 40mg of the Latuda. You should always take it with your dinner no later then five or you will be tried in the morning. This was told to me by her doctor. She has been on this medicine for about 7 months. She sleeps well at night.”

Buddy · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Latuda (lurasidone): “On Latuda prescribed for schizophrenia and so far I’ve seen clearness, an improvement in my thoughts. It's like putting on a pair of glasses in my head. Better take with food. I feel better than I did on abilify”

anonymousmedtaker · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “Latuda for me helped with my hallucinations. Took them away almost completely at 20mg and 40mg. Side effects were slight blurry vision, restless legs and hands, and slight motor control issues. Seems as if I have trouble thinking on it not sure if it is from the medicine or just apart of my illness. Overall conclusion - takes away hallucinations well for me.”

Luna Latuda · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2020

Latuda (lurasidone): “I have Depression(lifelong dysthymia) and anxiety and trouble falling/staying asleep. I've started Latuda to replace amitryptyline, in addition Cymbalta and Buspar. I was taking amitryptyline for over a year but it was no longer helping me fall asleep or stay asleep very long, nor helping depression. At 20 mg of Latuda I noticed no benefits for falling/staying asleep and kept taking 25mg of Amitryptyline with my other meds. It caused me to dream a lot of vivid dreams, which I enjoy because it is a much needed break from reality. But unfortunately there were no mood benefits. So the Latuda was doubled to 40mg and amitryptyline was discontinued again. I've been sleeping much better and am still having crazy/fun/amusing vivid dreams. I think my mood has definitely improved too, but it is hard to tell. But now I am super tired when I get up and have fallen asleep again a few times today. I'm gonna give it 3 more weeks to see if my body can wake up a lil more, or I'll ask to change Latuda to 30mg. Aside from being tired, I actually do feel hopeful that this is working.”

StressFromWorkplace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 1, 2018

Latuda (lurasidone): “I started getting voices and hallucinations after I received stress at workplace. It impacted my normal reasoning and rational decision making at that time, my head was filled up with visuals and voices of my previous friends who were creating a racket in my head and controlling my body movements. I was hearing theories about how my family is in danger , buy property, police- government is tracking my activities, god and religion, demons, capitalism etc. I resigned from my job, could not find another one, could not get social security, became depressed, had nightmares, used to sleep a lot, had hypertension and high blood pressure, gave my newly married wife a really hard and distressing time. Psychologist gave Latuda,and the hallucinations and voices started diminishing over a period of 2-3 months, the dosage initially high at 160 mg then reduced to 120 mg, now 80 mg it has been 8-10 months . Medicine has a bit of drowsy side affect and impacted my cholesterol”

Learn more about Schizophrenia