Lurasidone use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Lurasidone: Latuda
Lurasidone Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because there is no published experience with lurasidone during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Lurasidone has caused elevated prolactin serum in patients taking the drug. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. McAllister-Williams RH, Baldwin DS, Cantwell R et al. British Association for Psychopharmacology consensus guidance on the use of psychotropic medication preconception, in pregnancy and postpartum 2017. J Psychopharmacol. 2017;31:519-52. PMID: 28440103
2. Anon. Latuda package insert. Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. Ft. Lee, NJ. 2010.
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about lurasidone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 528 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
Other brands: Latuda