User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Constipation

Amitiza has an average rating of 2.1 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 7% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 87% reported a negative effect.

Amitiza Rating Summary

2.1/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Amitiza

Neelyy December 28, 2014

“I took 24mcg of Amitizia for 6 days twice a day. I got a pretty bad reaction from this. I had dry mouth, lightheadedness, my face was always warm, stomach aches, loss of appetite, severe anxiety, and nausea. I've come to the conclusion that the 24mcgs twice a day was far too much for my body. I weigh 117 pounds, and I don't think my body could handle that amount. If anyone is experiencing these side effects don't take it, make another appointment with your doctor to see if the dosage is too much. Also, if you have had a loss of appetite like myself, make sure to get enough sugar in your system, I had a hypoglycemic attack. Drink ginger ale, or eat if you can.”

Epstar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 15, 2015

“My prescription was for 24 MCG twice a day. I never tried it two times in one day BC out is so unpredictable. After a few hours (or more), it gives me severe diarrhea lasting at least an hour. So I normally take it late at night so it works by the morning.”

Sunkissed2010 December 23, 2014

“I stopped after only taking 2 pills. I developed a slight problem breathing and a rash across my neck and shoulders. Also, I now have unbearable gas pains after taking 2 of these pills a week ago. I am glad that I was only given 4 pills by the pharmacist as they were out so I wasn't charged.”

Elaine November 3, 2019

“I recently took one 24mg Amitiza pill, prescribed by my physician, and within an hour, I thought I was dying! I had 8 bowel movements in 2 hours, and 6 more in the next 5 hours. The stomach pain was unbearable, accompanied by a horrid headache. My mouth was so dry that I could not swallow; I could not calm my rapid breathing; I was freezing cold and trembling uncontrollably. To say that my husband and I were terrified is an understatement! We were at the point of calling 911, when the stomach pain began to subside --- slightly. Two days later, I am terribly dehydrated and weak. Im glad this works for some people, but if you are a 135lb senior citizen, please stay away from it!!!!”

Ashley6551 January 19, 2017

“This medicine helped with constipation but gave me pretty major emotional issues. I was very moody and depressed. It also made me pretty tired. I wasn't able to sleep. I think it gave me aches in my joints as well. I would say stay far away!!! It's not worth it! I'd rather just take regular laxatives. At least those don't make me want to kill myself.”

Stew November 27, 2019

“I I have tried both Linzess as well as Amitiza both have very harsh side effects that far out way the results. They mostly release water that has been forced by the meds into the digestive system which in return creates the movement of mostly water, with harsh side effects”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

“Taking Amitiza for chronic constipation and I experienced dangerous low blood pressure about two weeks after starting the med. After going off all my meds for my high blood pressure my BP still remained low and I felt very weak. Finally figured out it might be the Amitiza and stopped using it and I will see what happens.”

Always pray! · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2021

“I've been on amitiza for about a month now I take it once in the morning and once in the evening about 5:00 24mg. It has been helping me a lot I go every morning like normal. Now I'm 31yrs I have had acne before but couldn't figure out why was I breaking out so much lately the only thing I can figure is the amitiza it's the only thing I'm doing different to my body. Has anyone experienced acne with it if so did it subside any? Also a little nuasea sometimes not all the time. And please it said not for children under 18yrs it could be very dangerous for them. And I pray for everyone that has any type of constipation problem that it gets better for you with ease. God bless you all”

Elaine64764008060 September 13, 2017

“I have taken two doses and it didn't work at all. Was it placebo? I have no idea. What happened was that I experienced strange psychotropic effects: lessened ability to judge distances, lessened ability to follow conversations, slower reading speed, headache, facial muscle spasm, clenching my jaw, and then a crying episode after 4-5 hours after the dose. At least I know it didn't cause my acne. I am scared to try the higher dose after reading everyone's comments and the fact that my blood pressure runs low to begin with. And the fact that my stomach is prone to nausea.”

Deliux · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2021

“I tried Linzess and had to to stop taking it due to severe diarrhea. I was then prescribed Amitiza and the secondary affects were even worse. I am now using Lactulose, Fiber and Simethicone 125mg/Anti-gas and I'm doing better.”

Fred · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2020

“Amtiza 24 didnt work at all for me. I wish it did because I know its safe and been on the market for a long time. I am happy for the other people that it works for though. Changed to another drug and am doing better now.”

Walon · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2015

“I have chronic constipation. Nothing has helped including Amitiza.”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

“Took for one week and it had no effect, whatsoever. Waste of $300 that I could not afford.”

Cutencrazy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2018

“A doctor told me he thinks I have IBS with chronic constipation. Had constipation before and after I started taking Percocet for pain.”

Diane · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2020

“My 10 year old grandson was prescribed amitiza in 2019. He passed away may 19 2020. He was prescribed 16 mg 2x a day for over a year This was given to him by a pediatric gastroenterologist.”

Melrose · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

“Has anyone tried taking the Amitiza 24 mcg once a day and if so what time do you take it. Taking it twice a day keeps me running to the pot all morning. I can’t function this way.”