User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Constipation, Drug Induced

Amitiza Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Constipation, Drug Induced.

Reviews for Amitiza

"I took Amitiza as prescribed (24 mg x 1) for constipation which was a result of my medications for chronic depression and anxiety as well as the addition of gabapentin for nerve pain. Aside from the bloating, cramps and diarrhea, after about three days I relapsed into severe depression even though I had been in remission for over 15 years. Not realizing my body was reacting to the Amitiza, I remained on it for about 10 days. I strongly caution anyone who is on medication for anxiety and/or depression to consider an alternative to Amitiza. Even after 3 weeks off of Amitiza I am still struggling with the side effects of depression."

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2019

"I have been on opioid medications for 7 years for sensory neuropathy. I took Amitiza for one month and no effect. when I took movantik and Amitiza together 9 weeks now I've been almost normal in bowel movements it's tremendous."

Vince San Antonio TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

"My gastroenterologist prescribed Amitiza to help with constipation caused by a medication I am taking. I took one capsule (24 mcg) daily for five days, then began taking two (48 mcg) daily (too bigger dose?). The medication worked wonderfully to help relieve the constipation, but the side effects I am experiencing may cause me to stop taking it. I am having headaches, runny nose, fatigue, overall "bad" feeling, muscle pain, chills, nausea, and a sensation of almost passing out. I consider these side effects pretty drastic. It's possible they will go away or minimize if I continue to take the capsules, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it."

Jadah J (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

"I am a recovering heroin addict and have been taking suboxone in low-medium amounts to control withdrawal sympts & cravings, as I was not able to stay clean on my own due to underlying depression, schizophrenia, ptsd, and others. I have been clean for over 3 years and have had crippling constipation since on the suboxone. My Dr prescribed me amitiza, but told me to only take it as needed. I did experience nausea and stomach cramps at first, but now do okay with it, and have had much better BMs. "

antwan1487 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

"My Dr. has me on an Opiod for severe spinal pain, which has caused severe constipation! So he prescribed Amitiza, 24 mcg 2x's a day, well now I am not sure I will continue taking it. When I first began taking Amitiza it worked great, so my Dr. wrote up a script for it. Well, now it hardly works at all! Constipation is nearly a daily situation for me and a painful one at that, I am miserable and frustrated! It has also messed up my appetite, I can barely eat food and when I do, it makes me nauseated and my tummy hurts as well. I am sick to my stomach if I eat and if I don't eat. I feel sick from an overload of toxin build up (maybe I am imaging that a bit)! It is pretty messed up when you fear eating and fear not eating!?"

saschbacher October 31, 2016

"Absolutely do NOT take Amitiza if your on Methadone. I thought I would die! After my first symptom of feeling like i was having a heart attack I immediately went to the website and what did i see "talk to your doctor if taking methadone" OMG the severe side effects are not worth it when there are so many other medications out there."

Anonymous October 6, 2016

"The nausea hit within 20 minutes or so. I kept trying to vomit in the toilet, but just dry heaving. I was crying at the same time and my poor cat was standing near me crying, too. I was sick for hours and really thought about calling an ambulance. I laid down with a blanket and was shivering. This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a prescription drug. I feel so bad I will not be able to take my other meds tonight. I am afraid I will throw them up."

bbkwill (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

bbkwill August 30, 2016

"I have opiate induced constipation from narcotic pain killers. My doctor gave me samples of Manitoba and it worked great. I didn't have any side effects other than cramping which is to be expected with any laxative. It worked within 2 hours and continued to work throughout the rest of the day. I would definitely recommend taking this on a day u have nothing to do. It causes a little gas and stomach cramps that feel like ur gonna have diarrhea. But it definitely does the job. I also had a little nausea after taking it but it was worth it. Especially if u have been dealing with chronic constipation for awhile. Anything is better than the constant bloating and pain associated with constipation."

Megmarie (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

"I just started taken amitiza 24mg I read up on the side effects and I am having all the side effects at one time it's been over 24 hours and I still got the side effects. I have seen a little bit of blood in my stools but I haven't seen any today. I was put on amitiza because I am on 2 different depression mediations and one anxiety I am also on high blood pressure medicine and a sleeping pill. My HCP gave me samples of it for me to try I'm not sure if its inter reacting from the other medications that I take on a daily basic everyday."

moonpie45 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

"I tried this about 5 times. The first few times were ok. Then it all went downhill. I went from chronic constipation to straight up liquid stool. This happened 2-3 hours after taking the pill. Never again!"

awful. (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I had a tummy tuck on Dec 18. The surgery was painful but the constipation from opioids from the surgery was just as bad. My plastic surgeon wasn't familiar with treating OIC so I called my primary care physician. She gave me Amitiza 24mcg. It took almost two days but it was amazing and I was so thankful. I had to remain on opioids for three weeks and the Amitiza worked so well I haven't had any issues!! Thank you Amitiza!!!"

A believer (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

"It was great! I also have adhesions which cause constipation too, used the Relistor injection and it never worked."

crazyarky (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

"It seemed to work for a couple of days. Afterwards I had the side effect of over-sleeping. I slept an extra 3 hours on the 3rd morning of this drug's use. Also, no output. I had to use enema to get some output. No s**t!! I wasted hundreds of dollars cash on this drug."

vkmo (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

"I'd never been regular, my whole life, it was always a problem that I was lucky if it resolved itself every 3 or 4 days, but then once I aged and my rheumatoid arthritis advanced to a debilitating degree, I had to go on opiates...oh dear. 7-8 days or even more of being bound up became the norm. It was REALLY painful! The only way I could help myself was to stop taking my pain meds and overdose on laxatives and enemas every few days. That usually worked within 24 hrs, but it really isn't good for you. I finally confessed to my gastroenterologist that this was going on and he prescribed me Amitiza. It took a week to work for me, but now I have the exact opposite problem. I'm on 24 mcg 2x daily. I think maybe it needs to be just once!"

GrandmaKitty April 23, 2014