User Reviews for Claritin to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Claritin has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 29% of those users who reviewed Claritin reported a positive effect, while 57% reported a negative effect.

Claritin Rating Summary

4.3/10 average rating

Compare all 272 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Claritin

witzend · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

“Took one 24-hour Claritin on Sunday. Within hours, my itchy eyes and runny/stuffy nose had cleared. Took a second Claritin on Monday. Poor sleep that night. Tuesday morning, getting out of bed, I experienced a terrible backache and the beginnings of a headache that Tylenol didn't touch. Backache lasted all day. Stopped Claritin before my third dose. Today is Wednesday and I'm feeling zombie-like, fatigued, with lingering back pain. Much as I had hoped this might be my miracle pill, it's not. I'm a 70+ year-old lady in good health who will not be taking this again.”

jenn54 June 15, 2020

“I started using Claritin (loratadine) per my ENT's instructions to address a runny nose/PND. After one week I noticed facial redness on my cheeks and nose, the only thing different that I'd been using was the Claritin. I stopped taking it today and sure hoping the redness disappears. It did work as far as clearing up my nose and PND.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

“This product doesn’t work at all on me and it’s 24 hours so I can’t take another pill to help me. Currently my sinuses are so stuffed I can’t breathe”

Mandy · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

“I was prescribed Claritin by my ENT. I was told to take it every morning, which I did, but after a few hours of taking it, I would get the worst neck pain/head aches. I also got joint pain in my knees. I looked up these two side effects and sure enough a good percent of female patients age 49+ reported these side effects. Seems more common in females. It did nothing whatsoever for my severe allergies and my Otis externa. I couldn't take the pain from this drug and stopped. Within 24 hours the painful aches went away.”

Simba · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2020

“I've been on this product for a few years. Works great. Makes me super thirsty but keeps my sinuses clear. My eyes aren't red and itchy. Even my skin has cleared up!! My son was put on this and when I saw he was doing better I joined him on it. No problems with sleep, or tummy aches!”

Dian · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

“The first day it was effective but I started to feel tired and sad. I also suffered form lack of sleep and felt thirsty all the time even though I drank lost of water. I was not able to do number 2 :-) for 3 days and I had stomach aches. I stopped taking this drug immediately.”

Sunnyismyangel March 31, 2017

“It was effective for my allergies, however it caused many side effects that are listed nowhere! Depression, anxiety, confusion and sleepiness that was so pronounced I had to pull over while driving. This was the Nondrowsy formula. There are 11 other people who had similar reactions in the support in drugs.com group, under the drug name. I'll deal with my allergies rather than end up in the psych ward.”

Waxtadpole · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“Claritin is very effective on my allergy symptoms but it also makes me drowsy. However I've had problems getting a good night's sleep in the past, and the usual OTC sleep aids like melatonin and Advil PM don't always work for me. With "non-drowsy" Claritin I haven't slept this well in ages! Need to ask my MD or a specialist if Claritin induces good quality, healthy sleep and whether I can keep taking it as a sleep aid.”

Ryan · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

“Read some of the reviews, says it causes confusion, anxiety, depression. I took it for 2 days. 1st day I didn’t feel anything except my ears started ringing really bad. 2nd day I took it, it caused the worst confusion of my life. Going on the day after and I still feel like rubbish. Don’t take this drug.”

Charley · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2019

“I have had postnasal drip and chronic cough especially in the winter for at least 10 years....scratchy throat, itchy ears, sore throat and burns at times facial pain, sneezing. I just got over what I thought was a sinus infection. I was still feeling bad so I was doing some reading and I read what clairtan can offer so I tried it. Within and hour or so my post nasal drip was a whole lot better and my cough along with it now I am on day 5 of taking clairtan...I feel like I could go out dancing I am sure it can only get better from here ...GOSH why didn't I try clairtan years ago ....”

space cadet · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2019

“This medicine Claritin I swear on god it’s the best. I've tried other medicine like zirtec and over the counter ones but this the only thing that works and it kicks my allergies in instantly like 20 min tops and last for days.”

Dinodagino July 27, 2017

“I have chronic allergies (undiagnosed). I suffer from dry , red, stinging eyes and a nose that gets stuffy even with turbinate reduction surgery as well as general fatigue and low energy. Claritin helped me feel functional again and I can look people in the eye when I talk to them. Nose it a lot more clear. It is VERY important to take it for a week before it provides full relief. This did not start working for me till day 4 and now I feel great , perhaps the best ever. I am giving it an 8 because it causes me dry mouth and my sleep is not the greatest. The point of this review is not to fully trust all the negative reviews. Try it for yourself every day for one , maybe even 2 weeks and see how it affects you. Best of luck.”

Wendover June 14, 2010

“This is the 2nd time in a month that I have suffered from dizziness and fatigue after taking Claritin. My blood pressure has dropped to 96/58 which is low even for me. I have always had lower than normal blood pressure. I last took Claritin on Thursday morning and this is Monday and can finally stand up without feeling dizzy.”

Anonymous August 5, 2009

“I have taken Claritin for a number of years now. I have year round allergies and severe in season. I only take this when needed - I am not the take it as a preventative type. My experience is that Claritin is effective if taken on an empty stomach and when my allergies are on the mild to moderate side. If they are severe, it does not help.”

LouAnnP · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2015

“It did help with symptoms but it caused depression for me. took it for three days then realized that , had depression. Google claritin and depression and the second listing that comes up us a discussion on this website about claritin from users saying it caused depression for them”

Anonymous November 17, 2009

“I took Claritin on two occasions to alleviate stuffy head colds and runny nose. I took 2 pills, one each on successive days about a month apart, and a day after taking them experienced both times a bloody nose. I am an older adult and haven't had a bloody nose since I was a child.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2018

“Absolutely no relief whatsoever from a severe allergy condition I had for one day a few weeks ago. Wrote to Bayer, they responded the next day with promises of a refund but nothing after initial first contact. Do not waste your money on this product, try something else.”

Tlo2407!sacramento May 19, 2017

“It takes hours and hours to kick in. I even took 2 to speed up my relief and 3 hours later I'm still suffering. Zyrtec works within 30 min and lasts 24 hours. I will never take claritin again when I need immediate relief.”

Kimberly Daye September 15, 2017

“Horrible product, barely works. Been sneezing with a runny nose all day.”

eaten up to three at one time June 21, 2016

“Feel like i have been ripped off. Does nothing for me”

Anonymous June 4, 2010

“Didn't do much for my allergies. ”

Anonymous April 7, 2009

“Works great, no side effects.”

Allergicpepe · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

“Clarithin is effective and I have no noticeable side effects, it helps me to go thru the pollen season.”

Anonymous June 6, 2009

“Claritin seems to help for the first 2-3 day, but loses all effectiveness for me beyond that. All symptoms return.”

AllergyJill · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2018

“Works wonderfully for both 16 yo and myself for allergy to our new Pug. No sneezing, no watery eyes. Expensive at $18 for a 24 pack so tried equate Walmart generic which didn’t work at all.”

jonryan April 11, 2009

“I have tried it more than once. It was as if I took nothing. No help from taking it.”

Somejuan · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2015

“It takes so long to kick in and only works for like two hours.”

billy killer August 24, 2009

“Slow to get going but lasts forever when activated.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis