Claritin Side Effects
Generic name: loratadine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 26, 2023.
Note: This document contains side effect information about loratadine. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Claritin.
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule liquid filled, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
Serious side effects of Claritin
Along with its needed effects, loratadine (the active ingredient contained in Claritin) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking loratadine:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
The most commonly reported side effects included headache, somnolence nervousness, and fatigue.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 12%)
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Dizziness, convulsion
Frequency not reported: Syncope, paresthesia[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nervousness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia
Frequency not reported: Depression, paroniria[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Frequency not reported: Fever, viral infection, tinnitus, malaise[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Nausea, gastritis
Frequency not reported: Dyspepsia, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal/gastric pain, altered taste, increased saliva[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Increased appetite[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Angioedema, rash, alopecia
Frequency not reported: Pruritus, rash on face[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased frequency of urination, urine discoloration, menstruation delay[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Tachycardia, palpitation
Frequency not reported: Hypertension, hypotension, chest pain[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylaxis[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Abnormal hepatic function[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Epistaxis, nasal dryness, pharyngitis, coughing[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Myalgia[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Zyrtec vs Claritin: Which is more effective for allergies?
- Allegra vs Claritin: Which is more effective for allergies?
- What are the most common skin conditions? (with photos)
- Can I take Claritin with Mucinex DM?
- How long can I take Claritin?
- What is the difference between Claritin and Sudafed?
- Can you give loratadine to dogs?
- Why do you take Claritin with Neulasta?
- Can you take 10mg of loratadine twice a day?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about Claritin (loratadine)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (49)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: antihistamines
- En español
Alavert, Wal-itin, ohm Allergy Relief, Tavist ND
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Claritin (loratadine)." Schering Corporation (2002):
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.