Claritin Side Effects
Generic name: loratadine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 25, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about loratadine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Claritin.
For the Consumer
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule liquid filled, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, loratadine (the active ingredient contained in Claritin) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking loratadine:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 12%)
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Dizziness, convulsion
Common (1% to 10%): Nervousness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Increased appetite[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased frequency of urination, urine discoloration, menstruation delay[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Tachycardia, palpitation
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Abnormal hepatic function[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Myalgia[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Zyrtec vs Claritin: Which is more effective for allergies?
- Allegra vs Claritin: Which is more effective for allergies?
- Can I take Claritin with Mucinex DM?
- What is the difference between Claritin and Sudafed?
- How long can I take Claritin?
- Why do you take Claritin with Neulasta?
- Can you take 10mg of loratadine twice a day?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about Claritin (loratadine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 34 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. "Product Information. Claritin (loratadine)." Schering Laboratories, Kenilworth, NJ.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.