Claritin Side Effects
Generic Name: loratadine
Note: This document contains side effect information about loratadine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Claritin.
For the Consumer
Applies to loratadine: oral fixed-combination tablets, oral orally disintegrating tablets, oral solution, oral tablets
Side effects include:
Adults and children ≥12 years of age receiving conventional or orally disintegrating tablets: Headache, somnolence, fatigue, dry mouth.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating
The most commonly reported side effects included headache, somnolence nervousness, and fatigue.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 12%)
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Dizziness, convulsion
Common (1% to 10%): Nervousness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Increased appetite[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased frequency of urination, urine discoloration, menstruation delay[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Tachycardia, palpitation
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Abnormal hepatic function[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Epistaxis, nasal dryness, pharyngitis, coughing[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Myalgia[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. "Product Information. Claritin (loratadine)." Schering Laboratories, Kenilworth, NJ.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
- Can you take 10mg of loratadine twice a day?
- Can I take Claritin with Mucinex DM?
- How long can I take Claritin?
- What is the difference between Claritin and Sudafed?
- Zyrtec vs Claritin: What's the difference?
- Allegra vs Claritin: What's the Difference?
More about Claritin (loratadine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 23 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines