User Reviews for Levocetirizine

Also known as: Levrix, Xyzal, Xyzal Allergy 24HR

Learn more about Levocetirizine.

Levocetirizine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 596 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Levocetirizine to treat Allergies

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have had the worst allergies on record this season. I have tried everything from Claritin to Zyrtec and everything in between. Nothing helped. My post nasal drip was so bad I felt like I had bronchitis from all of the coughing. I even thought I was going to overdose on my albuterol inhaler because I used it so much because I could not breath. A friend recommended Xyzal and brought it to my house one day. The symptoms did not go away all at once but after 2 days on the pill I feel so much better. I take it around 6 pm everyday and I sleep well and wake up perfectly fine the next day. Xyzal has saved me. I hope it lasts and doesn't wear off like Claritin."

Bette_06 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "First time using Xyzal last night for allergies. Normally, I take Benadryl but wanted to give this product a try as it's new OTC. I only took half a pill at bedtime. Yes, my allergic symptoms cleared up but WOW did it make me tired. I'm thankful I have the day off as I don't know how I could function at work. I expected some drowsiness but this far exceeds the effect of a full dose of Benadryl."

JenRDH (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I normally use zyrtec liquid gels- the tablets are no where as effective. But they last only about 3 hours. This stuff made me a little groggy, but not when I wanted to sleep, and if it had any allergy effect it was indistinguishable from nothing at all. Waste of money- I had so wanted a longer lasting alternative - NG"

glenn g May 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Love this medicine!!! I have year round allergies and I am allergic to everything; dust, cats, hamsters, everything outside, etc. I feel like I should live in a bubble. Nothing seemed to work. I've taken OTC drugs and prescribed drugs. All of them stunk. Allergy shots really work, but are too time consuming. Then I found Xyzal. Love it! Fair warning though, this drug does knock you out and the lasting effects carry into the next day, but I discovered that if you take it about an hour to two hours before your bedtime, you will feel fine the next day."

Angelus27 May 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Worst allergy medication on the market. Buyer be ware! I cannot stop sneezing and my eyes are watery. Don't have this issue with Zyrtec. I'm going back to it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I took this pill at bedtime twice and it kept me awake until after 2:00 a.m. I woke up with worst symptoms than I had before I took the pills When I woke up I was stuffed up and I stayed that way all day long. I also had lots of coughing - unlike my normal cough that is due to post nasal drip. I also have a bad sore throat. On both Saturday and today I have tiredness and I am unable to function. I will go back to my normal medicine in the morning. These pills were a waste of money."

Texas Allergies (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Absolutely horrible, unless you like feeling dopey, drugged & hungover for 3 days after a single dose! It did help my allergies but the side effects are much too pronounced & severe to warrant ever taking it again. I'd rather suffer!"

Anonymous 1980 May 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I've tried Claratin, benedryl, Zyrtec, and Xyzal. Only one that works is Zyrtec. Xyzal is a waste of money."

Little H May 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm giving this a 10 to counter all the ridiculous "1s" even though my honest grade is a 7 or 8. I'm highly allergic to tree/grass/weed pollens and decided to try this since they seem to be marketing it so hard lately (maybe there's a reason). Well it definitely relieves my seasonal allergies enough to allow me to function normally. The only downside I'm experiencing is the sleepiness. I wanted something as effective as benedryl but less "sedating." Well Levocetirizine definitely fits, but there is some sleepiness still present. Being used to diphenhydramine (benedryl) or chlor trimeton, the sleepiness is not that bad to deal with, if it means 24 hour relief and less sedating than benedryl. I'd recommend it for others that have bad seasonal"

goldie lox May 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been using this along with another steroid nasal spray for awful seasonal allergies. Because I'd taken Zyrtec in the past with no drowsiness, I took for granted that this med wouldn't make me drowsy either. Holy hell was I wrong. Fatigue is more like it, and bouts of vertigo every time I stand up. It's good for my allergies but I need to switch back to Zyrtec bc I can't function even on 12 hours of sleep plus naps (normally I'm a 5-6 hours of sleep kind of person)."

Emcg17 May 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have really bad allergies due to tree pollen. I tried Xyzal for the first time and it works! My throat doesn't get itchy anymore and my nasal congestion is gone. I take 1 pill before bedtime and my only struggle is staying up during the day. My brain gets foggy and I am super sleepy. I am currently typing with my eyes shut. ZZzzzzzz"

Maureen NYC (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "My boyfriend bought this for his seasonal allergies & it worked great & he slept great. I suffer from several chronic pain conditions & decided to try this for sleep (which is hard to come by when you're in pain... painsomnia). I slept the best I had in months. I woke up feeling refreshed, with no drowsiness. I've used other allergy meds in the past to help with sleep, but they don't always work & when they do, I wake up drowsy. I'd love to buy a case of this, because each time I've taken it for, I slept great. I'm glad he found this product."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "This is simply glorified sleeping medication, this was a waste of money, any one with real seasonal allergies run in the other direction."

Mister DDD May 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Took this for allergies and to help me sleep. I had the best sleep I've had in years, BUT I was so groggy and hazy during the day that I stopped taking it after 2 nights. This certainly works for allergies (no more sneezing or itchy-watery eyes), but I wouldn't take it if you have small children or a day job. I had such a hard time keeping my eyes open at work."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have a cat and a dog in the house so my nose runs all year long. I had taken Benedryl daily until the doctor told me to take it twice a day cause my body had gotten too used to it. I then tried Claritin and Allegra, neither worked for me at all. I then switched to Zyrtec and that was pretty great. I still had a runny nose but not as bad. When Xyzal came out I had to try it since I had a crack in my nose for about 6 months from a runny nose. Within 1 week of taking Xyzal the crack had healed and my nose wasn't runny. This is a miracle drug for me. I believe that each body is different and you need to take the drug that works for you. I take this during the day as it wore off when I came home from work to be with my animals."

won over (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "This is the worst allergy medication I have ever tried. It did not help with any of the symptoms listed on the box. Not only did it not help with what I took it for, it also made me unbelievably tired. I felt like I had taken some sleeping pills. Do not waste your money on this product."

Kaidye April 25, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Didn't help at all against my allergy symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, itching & watering eyes)."

Desert Dweller April 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "My vision is so bad that I could not read the warnings on the box. I bought one bottle for home and one for work. Big mistake. 1. It does not ease any of my allergy symptoms which include cough, runny nose and runny eyes. 2. It makes me feel stoned. 3. I've had pretty serious body aches since I started taking it. Based on a few of the reviews here, I think it must be related. I am going to go cold turkey. It can't be worse than this stuff. Does ANYTHING work for allergies? I will be moving to the desert soon. Finger crossed!"

Chimom68 April 19, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "This medicine made me feel a million times worse than without any allergy medicine at all. It felt like I was having a severe allergic reaction to Xyzal which is supposed to help alleviate allergy symtoms, not cause more severe symptoms. I really hope it didn't cause any long-term harm."

Les miserable (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Awful! I feel like I've had a flu for days... I've been vomiting, dizzy, shaky, run down, not been able to sleep, and had a sore throat since I started taking this. It is NOT worth all the side effects!"

SmcCauleyyy April 18, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "My allergies are the worst in the morning and this medication directs it be taken at night. I've tried that several times and it is no help whatsoever. Just before writing this I had to take Benedryl even though I took this medication last night. Very disappointed in this product! The couple of times my allergies kicked up at night and I took it this product did not help at all. That said everyone is different and I guess if you want to try it and see if it works for you go ahead. But if your allergies are bad in the morning it will not help at all."

Michele the Matchmaker (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "Took this for seasonal allergies. Knocked out cold for 9 hours, woke up feeling hungover. Went out with family for breakfast, came back home and slept 5 more hours. Awful! I don't know how people could function taking this regularly."

MeghanRN April 16, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "The drug seems to work but it made me so dopey and sleepy that I couldn't take it. It made me feel like I was on actual drugs. Disappointing."

Maureen12345 April 11, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I tried this medication as I needed a good allergy med and it knocked me out for 15 hours - like a drugged knock out. I couldn't get off the bed to go to the bathroom even. It was horrible. I didn't move for 15 hours then when it finally started to wear off, I hurt all over. Finally, after 36 hours I'm starting to feel normal again. Never again! This stuff is nasty!"

Tigger2055 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xyzal (levocetirizine): "I have been taking xyzal now for 10 days. The first couple of days I thought I had finally found the answer to my chronic cough and allergy symptoms. It helped me to sleep through the night without coughing and most of the day. By about the fifth or sixth day I started having severe muscle aches and joint pain over my entire body. My mother is 88 years old and I feel like how she describes her body pain. The last few days I have been trying to decide if its worth the pain and fatigue until this morning on the 10th day. On top of the joint pain, muscle aches, tiredness, oh and crazy vivid dreams, I felt myself wanting to cry several times today. thats just not me. I'm done!!!"

Female 62 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017