User Reviews for Ezetimibe to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Zetia

Ezetimibe has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 100 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol. 23% of those users who reviewed Ezetimibe reported a positive effect, while 62% reported a negative effect.

Ezetimibe Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Ezetimibe

Hank · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2021

“Ezetimibe does lower my cholesterol along with lipitor, But I get headaches from it !”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2021

“Sore shoulders, and neck pain. Taking this with a statin and I stopped the ezetimibe after two months. It has been two weeks off the drug and still sore, although not as bad, read that it can take up to two months for your muscles to heal.”

LA in AZ · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

“Severe stomach cramps. Diarrhea. Headache. Muscle weakness.”

Freedancer · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I cannot take statins as they tank my depression. I am a disabled veteran and have had my depression under control for several years now. My general practitioner at the VA put me on Zeita for cholesterol. I took it for approximately 4 days. My depression got so bad that I stopped it today and notified my psychiatrist and my general practitioner that I was stopping it as of today. I spent the last two days crying because I felt so bad. I also was extremely tired and my joints and muscles were hurting. This is just how the statins affected me. If you suffer from depression, run away from this drug as fast as you can!! It works very quickly and can catch you completely off guard!”

Big Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I was put on Lipitor for lipid reduction. Did the job, but lower legs and quads and hams started to cramp severely during spinning classes at local Y. Complained to my doctor, immediately put me on Crestor. Did the job and no cramps. Been on them for 8 years. Now cardiologist wants my LDL below 70 forever. So he puts me on generic Zetia. After 30 days, my Total Cholesterol dropped 20% to 143. Triglyceride from 97 to 78, LDL dropped from 100 to 62, Triglycerides from 97 to 78 and HDL from 56 to 65. Never had my LDL below 70 and they have proof if can keep the LDL under 70 for 4 or 5 years you can reduce artery and leg plague by 24 %. No stents or surgeries needed. Just take your meds.”

Lala · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have familial high cholesterol not caused by diet. I eat very healthy and weigh 100 lbs. I had no choice but to take medication. I had extreme negative side effects to both statins I tried. One landing me in the ER. I was desperate to find something that I could take. My boyfriend researched and found this. My Dr wasn’t sure it would work but I was hopeful. It brought my cholesterol down well into normal range with no side effects at all. I’m very grateful for this medication since I can’t take statins and my cholesterol cannot be controlled by diet.”

Susan February 20, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “If I could rate this less than zero, I would!! I cannot tolerate statins so my doctor started me on Zetia. I started having severe side effects after just a few weeks. I didn't realize it was this medication at first and ended up in the ER after five weeks of being on it. I had severe distention in my abdomen, severe cramping, burning in my gut, pain, bleeding. I also had what felt like a bladder infection because I had pinching of my bladder and bleeding in my urine (although a urine test did not indicate I had an infection). I had so much distention in my abdomen that I could barely eat or drink anything. I also had tightness in other areas of my body including my chest, groin, and of course, abdomen. I stopped this the day I went to the ER. I have been off this medication for several weeks now but continue to have issues. I have severe indigestion after I eat now and it seems to have flared up many other health related issues, as well as generally not feeling well.”

Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “My experience was horrible two weeks in burping tons of gas turned into vomiting diarrhea stomach problems all the time now I cannot drink milk without having episodes of gas just not comfortable in my own body anymore unbelievable I was fine before I took this medication never had any problems with my stomach or my intestines been off it for 2 weeks still having problems with my intestines and my stomach not too happy about it horrible drug”

Von July 29, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I can't take statins they make me hurt so bad no pain medicine even works. My cholesterol is so high now and I'm on a strict diet and stay on it at my cholesterol still goes up and now my arteries in my neck are clogged so the doctor decided to try me on Zetia I've been on it for 10 days my stomach is extended so much I thought I gain water in my stomach it hurts so bad my legs cramp I couldn't take the treadmill test because I ran out of air will have to do a chemical test I've had the sweats and chills what is a person to do I don't know where to turn to anymore I guess I inherited my dad's bad genes because he died at 42 and right now I am 69 and had strokes and heart attack it's all crazy”

Bex November 26, 2019

“My pharmacist recommended that I take 10mg ezetimibe as I had severe reaction to statins. I was reluctant but the first day...after couple hours on taking this substance I began to feel sad; I experienced sore eyes (and squinted with watery eyes); I was head-achy with shoulder pain; and I was bloated the entire day. I began to loose concentration after three to four hours; and unable to focus while reading. The tips of my fingers were numb and I was unable to use my keyboard!!! However, with fear and trepidation I’ve took this medication a couple days later (just checking) but I experienced similar symptoms and in addition extreme sadness with unpleasant thoughts!!! That’s it...no more experimental cholesterol drugs for me! I’d rather have a short life with my high cholesterol rather than tolerate this abominable torture and poison in my system...!!!”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2018

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I don’t know if Zetia is helping my high cholesterol since I have only been taking it three weeks and haven’t had the followup lab work yet but I am getting ready to discontinue it on my own. My main complaint is extreme fatigue to the point where I feel like I need to lay down after quick outings. My blood pressure has dropped and I have started taking a half dose of my blood pressure medication and a half pill of the Zetia. Still, I’m tired and find myself short of breath after moving around or even while talking sometimes. I just generally feel bad and weak but I can’t tolerate statins. I was hoping this would work but it doesn’t look like it.”

poisoned · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

Zetia (ezetimibe): “Can’t take statins so doc put me on zetia. This stuff is poison for me! Within 4 days the pain in my entire body left me unable to do anything, couldn’t sleep, diarrhea was horrible, migraines a few hours after taking it each night. I stopped taking it! Some reactions reversed in about 3 days but I’m now on day 9 since I stopped it and the upper left side down into my abdomen still hurt, yet I have a numbing sensation on lower abdominal, urgent care doc thinks I may be developing shingles! Zetia has been known to trigger it. Awful, awful medicine! Wish I’d never touched it”

Ollie · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have been on Zetia 4 weeks. I am having pains under my ribs on left side and radiating to my back. Stomach pains just woke me up in the middle of the night. My feet have been cramping at night. I keep having severe bloating in my stomach. I also keep burping. Calling doctor in am to stop drug.”

Mick November 27, 2019

“Ezetimibe is a very toxic poison and should not be avaiable , the benefits are minimal and the risk of a creating a serious condition are high ! People need to read reviews on these bad drugs . After 5 days I was made so violently ill because of this garbage drug .”

Polly December 8, 2020

Zetia (ezetimibe): “Started Zetia September, 2020. In October labs work was done and everything was normal (liver, kidney function). November 8, I started having scalp/head pain. I also noticed my hair had been thinning. November 10, I had SEVERE right sided abdominal pain, fever and chills, cough, shortness of breath. Went to Urgent care and series of tests, came back very high liver panel, inflammation markers very high. I stopped taking Zetia on 11/14/2020. The next 3 weeks I continued to have many side effects. They were: head/scalp pain, hair thinning, cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, sweating, severe abdominal pain, right and left side, bad rash on forearm and hand, severe ankle and top of foot pain, fatigue, body ache, night sweats. I had 4 negative covid tests, 2 negative antibody tests. Now, I have an atrial fib going on. (Just started 3 days ago). I was a very active 74 year old with perfect blood work for years. We ruled out COVID, and have narrowed it to Zetia really bad side effects”

Suzanne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2019

Zetia (ezetimibe): “Started taking ezemtibe 7/17 to lower cholesterol my cholesterol which was high. I Developed sore joints and started belching, but didn’t relate this to medication. In August, I noticed large patch loss of pigment on skin below kneecaps. Then patches developed on hands and feet. Within ten months, pigment loss showed around my mouth. I then stopped the Zetia and the joint pain disappeared, I had no more belching and no more pigment loss. But I then had shingles. I have read that pigment loss and shingles result from a damaged immune system. As I am an otherwise healthy and active 65 year old, and the fact that all of these systems occurred shortly after beginning this medication, I believe the ezemtibe damaged my immune system.”

Doublegroove · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2019

“Each and every statin made me feel deathly ill. Stopped taking anything for my high cholesterol. My doctor asked me to try ezetimibe. I've had no problem for a couple of years now. Glad I found this alternative.”

one.day.at.a.time · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

Zetia (ezetimibe): “Couldn't take statins due to multiple side effects. Took zetia for 6 weeks before realizing it was causing severe nausea on a daily basis, constipation, extreme tiredness, excruciating hip pain, hot flashes with profuse sweating as well as gastritis. I've been off zetia for two weeks and I'm still having the awful sweating flashes, constipation, hip pain and tired to the point I fall asleep for about 30 minutes when I get home from work every day. The nausea is finally gone and gastritis has improved. I hope all this goes away soon!! I'm miserable! I will not take meds for cholesterol again I'm going to go back to Krill oil and flaxseed oil.”

MJRanks January 29, 2017

Zetia (ezetimibe): “If you are starting to belch while on this medicine stop taking it, because it is starting to cause stomach inflammation which is gastritis. This medicine caused muscle atrophy, dry eye, runny nose, anxiety, foot and calf cramping, sweating, sinus and stomach inflammation. I have been dealing with the gastritis never had any stomach issues in my life until zetia. I believe the drug companies are not telling people about all the side effects because they know not everyone gets every side effect but believe me this a dangerous medicine I have went from 150lbs with a lot of muscle went to the gym lifted and ran 3 to 4 miles a week. Now about 118lbs and still suffering 8 almost 9 months later.”

Phil · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“Was on lovastatin for years. Cholesterol remained steady with no problems. He decided he wanted it lower so put me on Ezetimibe and took me off Lovastatin. My cholesterol went up so he asked me to take both.....big mistake. Muscle pain so severe after 2 weeks I had to stop. Why are drug companies inventing things that do not work???”

TLC · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

“My husband began ezetimibe less than two weeks ago because of his intolerance of statins. Like many of the other patients on this thread he has experienced severe joint pain in hips and elbows, severe back pain, muscle pain in arms and legs, insomnia, depression, chills, cough, and general flu-like malaise. He is exhausted from lack of sleep. The discomfort is so great that sleep is impossible. He has always been a stoic individual when not not feeling well but not so now! A light bulb went off when he thought it might be this medicine. Sure enough, this tiny white pill is the culprit. It has been three days since the last dose and his symptoms are still raging on.”

None · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have tried statins to bring my cholesterol down but the side affects were unbearable! Have been on zetia a week and the side affects are insane. My muscles and joints hurt so bad I want to scream. My skin even burns! Give me high cholesterol over these medications and their side affects any day. I only hope they will go away!”

Pete_C June 11, 2017

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I am 66 and have been taking Zetia 10 for nearly 5 years now. I had previously taken Zocor, Mevacor, and Crestor consecutively over a period of about 15 years, each giving me severe muscle pain in my feet and legs. At one point, the pain in my arches was so bad that one doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis and recommended surgery. That's when I stopped taking any statins and within a couple of months, the pain was completely gone. When I started taking Zetia, I saw no adverse side effects and my bad cholesterol went down a little. About a year ago, I started having pain and weakness in my legs when standing up or climbing stairs. Now, I'm have pain in my left calf and heel and occasionally in my left arm, shoulder and back.”

Mudfarmer · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“Statins gave me severe muscle pains, nightmares, etc so Dr prescribed Ezetimibe. First 10 days great then I began to develop a small pain in lower back, kidney area and went away about 1 hr. On the 6th week the pain was 24 hoiurs a day and so extreme I couldn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a time. I stopped taking it and within 30 or so hrs the pain ceased in my left lower back, kidney area and now finally 6 days later no pain. Day after I stopped taking it,I had a blood test which showed basically no benefit what so ever in taking this. Let me add that I have had my thyroid completely remove and taking synthroid.”

Georgiegirl · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2020

“I am a 68 yr old female. 4 days ago I started this drug ezetimibe with Rosuvastatin, because of diabetes 2 and heart problem. I immediately experienced severe stomach pain, bloating, gas, nausea, diarrhea, light headed, painful urination and muscle cramping. As of today I will cease the use of this drug, pain in lower abdomen is horrendous. I just looked up the side effects of this drug and all of the above are listed!”

SRMAZ · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

“After four weeks of Ezetimibe, I have decided to stop. The first week I experienced severe headache, and nausea. Second week, stomach pain, and fullness. Third week, severe tingling in my hands and feet, extreme tiredness, and muscle cramps/charlie horses in my legs and feet, and heart pounding. Fourth week, knees have edema and so sore I can't attend my exercise class anymore. On top of that, I am experiencing hair loss! I am also having awful heartburn. I stopped drug on my own, and notified my physician.”

Grammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2013

Zetia (ezetimibe): “I have had really good results with this medicine and no adverse side effects. I had not had to take it for about 5 years, but was recently asked by my M.D. to go back on it. I am going to have to decline due to the huge difference in the cost of it now! For a 90 day supply, it is now $285.00 even with my prescription insurance. I am on a fixed income & absolutely cannot afford this! ”

Acorn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2020

“I’m an insulin-dependent, Type 2 diabetic in his 70s with cholesterol and LDL issues. My cardiologist started me on ezetimibe 1 month ago on 1 tab three times a week (that should have been the first red flag). He also scheduled a review in 1 month (usually 6 mths - the second red flag). Since starting this mongrel of a medication, I have been wracked with leg pain, diarrhea, flatulence, fatigue, belching and occasional noisy heartbeat. After reading the reviews on this site, I have decided to stop the Ezetimibe immediately. I hope I’ve dodged a bullet. I also feel like I’ve been used as an experimental lab rat but it will never happen again.”