User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1435 reviews 283 medications

6.3
Summary of Implanon reviews 1435 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I've got very mixed feelings about my implanon. Had it in for over 6 months and not a hint of a period. No spotting or bleeding whatsoever = awesome! I'm more emotionally stable - no more crying every month with my period = great! However, I have put on approx 8kg despite no change to eating habits or exercise = depressed! Plus it hurt for a few days after it was put in. Previously I was on the pill for 25yrs and my weight was mostly stable I wore the same size work uniform for 7 yrs - but now I've had to go up a size and the new uniforms are getting tight already. I love not having to remember to take the pill, but I'm seriously considering having the implanon taken out and going back to the pill. The weight gain is just too big a pr"

Hhidgh September 24, 2016

For Birth Control "At first I was scared because I heard some people had non stop bleeding. But I've been on this for about a year now and it's been great. I get my period , maybe once every 2 months but I rarely get it. I don't have to worry about it and I have no side affects. I've tried the shot and the pill before and don't get me wrong the pill was great. It was just the matter of remembering. I hated the shot. I only did it once and I stopped because it gave me bad stomach pains and I was consistently bloated. So my body took the implant pretty well and I don't plan on taking it out anytime soon."

I don't have a nikename September 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I just recently had my third Implanon inserted. I'm lucky, I have had really no side effects from it. With my last two I had bleeding intermittently, not knowing when it would happen was probably the worst thing. I cannot attribute it to weight gain (although this did happen, but was soon resolved when I started at the gym!). I don't have mood swings or feel highly emotional, I don't get bad 'periods' they are usually light. There are so many bad experiences had by many women and there usually aren't many good reviews put up. My sister got one, she was not so lucky with constant bleeding, so she got it out - I think she gave it 3 months. My opinion is give it a go if doctor thinks it's a good idea get it, you can always take it out again."

Ash001 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I will give this birth control a 5/10 for the simple fact that I did not get pregnant for the 2 years I was on it. but I gained probably about 50 lbs (with no change in my eating habits and i'm even more active), my boyfriend complained about my mood swings, I bled for majority of the time whether it was heavy or light...I just couldn't deal. I wish I came off of it earlier but I enjoyed not being at risk for pregnancy. I got it taken out today and I can't wait to get back to normal."

keepitrealtrina September 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I've only been on the implant since July and its September now and I still have my period...my mood swings are off the wall and worst of all my boobs and behind have both gotten smaller..the thing that worries me the most is I weigh the same but I feel so different. My emotions are controlling my life it seems. I don't know whether to tough it out because I'm not pregnant and that's working well for me or figure something else out...I've also had two experiences of chest/ arm/ back pain and random fevers...doctors don't help me....idk what to do. I think it's a good thing if you don't want kids right now but is it worth messing with your emotions and life.."

Katnissss September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "The day following my insertion of the implanon I got extreme nausea and debilitating fever that lasted the whole night. The fevers were an on and off occurrence but to keep them at bay I had to rely on painkillers, even just to function. I had no appetite and waves of nausea would occur before a fever. I was admitted to hospital as the fevers continued for a week and I was bed-ridden. The doctors gave me antibiotics and sent me home after a day. I felt better for a week or two but still had nausea. Then muscle aches and joint paint started coming back as well as waking up with puffy, sore eyes everyday. After another two weeks like this and numerous blood tests I decided to take out the implanon. Still have NO energy! STAY WELL AWAY!!!"

MaddiePalms September 14, 2016

For Birth Control "As far as effectiveness, yes the Implanon is effective in preventing birth control. That's the ONLY plus. I had the Implanon for 1 year, and I bled daily for 1 year. In the beginning I had no emotional or hormonal side effects...about 6 months in I became very paranoid, moody, anxious, emotional, and was becoming depressed before I finally had it taken out. I did not gain weight, but I did have very severe acne, to the point of (ineffective) dermatologist visits. I am writing this review just to tell other women to very careful consider it and your other options before having this birth control inserted. Both the insertion and removal are painful and leaves a nasty scar. If you have the option of other bc methods, take it."

rm1991 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2016

For Birth Control "At 26yrs I was 68kg when I had my implanon inserted in July 2014. September 2016 and I am 82kg. I have gained 14kg in 2 years + 2 months. I have not changed my eating habits much, if anything I am more active and constantly on my feet. I have always been a size 10 girl and to suddenly catapult to a size 14 in a matter of 2 years is ridiculous!. I truly believe it is the implanon effect and I am having it removed next week hooray!. I have tried exercising and reducing my daily intake to lose weight and sadly lost no weight. It's so frustrating that doctors would laugh at me and say I was overeating or lack of exercise. I was a track athlete and I've never been concerned about my weight until now. I know my body and implanon should not be it"

Tee.isara (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had implanon for a little over a year. It's been pure hell. I have gained 60 pounds, and NOTHING I do helps me lose weight. My depression is extremely bad from the hormones. (I had depression before, but it's 10x worse). For the first FOUR MONTHS I was bleeding, with a 2-3 day of not bleeding. My periods are now, about 9 days long. I have irregular periods, so it goes from period with 3 weeks off, to period with one week off. It's just all over the place, with extremely painful cramps. I'm getting it removed tomorrow, thank God. I'm terrified of hormonal birth control now, this being my first one that releases hormones. While I have had a horrible experience, I hope that others do not. It might work for you, it might not."

Charlotte91 September 8, 2016

For Birth Control "What everyone needs to realize if that everyone's body is different n reacts different. You have to see what's best for you!!! You may react differently than the next person. I was on the shot for 8 months n gained 20 pounds and fell into a terrible depression. I've switched and have been on the implant for 8 months now and have dropped 10 pounds! No depression! I'm actual happy! No mood swings. I'm very satisfied so far with the results. So my advice, find what fits you and your body. You may have to try a couple till you find a fit. But don't off of how other people's bodies reacted."

SchoolgirlQ September 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my first implanon inserted in September 2010, my period didn't come for about two years and then I notice when I would get stressed it would start. After this any change in my hormonal system and I took my period. I got it removed and another one inserted in August 2013, this time I noticed my periods got more regular and lasted longer. In July 2014 I had my period for 4.5 weeks. This was a really awful. My bar never moved from where it was inserted I knew it was there and couldn't really hold anything under that arm. The first 3 years I went up and down in weight like a yoyo. My body has changed as I've grown up but I have put on 2 stone/28pounds/13kg. Extremely hard to loose weight! Got it removed today! :)"

Irishgirlinoz September 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I am on my second Implanon. I find I rarely have periods for the first 1.5 years (bliss), and after that light bleeding seems to be occurring every fortnight which was annoying. However, 1.5 years perfectly fine and after the first one, at about 2 years I had it replaced and all was fine again. I put on no weight (if anything I find I am probably fitter while on it but that's just lifestyle). I did put on weight on Depo the one time I tried it. It doesn't react badly with everyone - I was back in the gym within the week doing light arm stuff until the bruising went away with no ill effects. Issues with this could be doctor problems not implant problems!! I have loved it. No more forgetting to take the pill and being worried"

Nikki121212 August 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the implanon about 7 years ago and had it taken out after only a year (not the 3 its allowed). This was a horrible experience for me. I didn't have a period he entire time, I gained almost 50 lbs, had the worst mood swings, I could feel myself becoming angry/crazy even though often times it was not that serious. Everything made me mad, or made me cry-- just horrible. after having it removed, it took almost 2 and a half years to start my period again and another 2 for it to become regular! when I did first get it, I had a period every 4-5 months. Now that it is a bit regular, I still can not seem to get pregnant. worst decision I ever made was getting the implanon. NEVER AGAIN, nor do I recommend to anyone"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the depo injection for 8 years and my doctor made me stop it even though I had not been sent for a bone scan!! He gave me a choice of other birth controls as I have three beautiful kids I needed something as effective as the depo which 100% agreed with me no periods, no weight gain it was great. So I went for the bar in my arm as doctor told me same hormones as the depo (ya right) 6 months I have this in my arm and have gained 2 stone, feel crap about myself terrible outbreaks of acne (never even had spots as a teenager) and feeling low and depressed and periods every two weeks!!! Mine is coming out next week never again I'm.going back on the depo I'll drink plenty of milk for the bones lol"

Emlouoc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I got this implant in October 2015 which was about 10 months ago. Worst decision of my entire life! While it did its job by not getting me pregnant it has a ton of side effects. First my arm gets the extreme pains where the implant is at random times. When I got the thing I was around 210 and I had recently just lost 50 pounds and I was feeling great about myself. Well now I weigh 281 and I believe it is because when I got the implant I started to crave certain foods and they wouldn't go away until I had it. The third thing is it made me extremely moody all of the time. My family and I have and I have been evaluating my behavior and I get angry for no reason all of the time. Last thing my periods happen 2 a month and they last 7-10 days!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on depo for 10 years. The only side effects I experienced were a complete lack of period (which I think is great) but a reduced sex drive as well. There were also concerns from my doctor that I may experience bone density loss due to extended depo use. After some thought I went with the arm implant because it seemed fairly noninvasive compared to other methods. So far so good. It's been about a month. I was told if I had a positive depo experience I should have a positive implant experience because it's the same hormone with a different delivery method. I still don't have a period ( I actually like that) but I had a bad bruise at the insertion site initially, and a month in I can still see and feel the implant and it's sensitive."

Beesting83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the implant in my arm for about 10 months. The only reason why I never got pregnant was because my period lasted for 4-6 weeks. Which was the worst side effect. I was very moody and never realized it until people would tell me and I had to reflect and see myself acting out of the ordinary. Before getting the implant, I was a nice 140 pounds and then I went to 165 in about 2 months. I'm a professional dancer and I'm in the gym 5 times a week and I eat extremely healthy. No matter what I did, I could never lose the weight. I took the implant out about 2 weeks ago. I went from 165 pounds to 157 in that 2 week time. My periods are back to 4 days also. I will never try this again and I'm looking into different birth controls. Stay away!"

Keykey123 August 25, 2016

For Birth Control "im 2 weeks in and i just want to know will this help me gain weight, i was currently on depo and switched to nexplanon thinking it will make me gain , i cant really tell yet , the only i experience is the cramping , but i take pills for that, but other than im fine so far,"

TAJ G August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Ive had the implanon in now for just 4 Months. I have gained almost 2 stone and still going! none of my "pre implanon" clothes fit me!!! Size uk10 to 14 in 4 months!? I have extremely low self esteem now due to this. I genuinely hate myself thats how LOW I feel. No money to purchase my unwanted bigger wardrobe! In fact I put on LESS weight being pregnant! Im actually eating healthier and walking more then I was before. I'm due to have it taken out very soon I CANT WAIT. I get random heavy as hell bleeding which are very painful that I'm crouching over at work in front of customers!!! Oh yes it's a very effective contraception but only because you turn completely mental case and bleed ALL the time. What a turn on eh. DON'T RECOMMEND"

DON'Tbother (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Awesome form of birth control. I been on its since December 2014. It has not failed me once. My periods with out BC are every month with BC it's every two to three months witch is great. Also I have noticed the only side effect for me is when I'm going to start my menstural I'll develop a little bit of acne otherwise great method and I'm going to renew it for another three years."

Anonymous August 24, 2016

For Birth Control "i had the bar placed in on may of 2014, since then ive had extremely bad depression which i had to go on medication for. and when i got on the birth control i weighed 90 pounds on the dot now i weigh 137 pounds and that weight is the hardest to lose. but with that said i go the bar placd in for free from my school health center, i haven't had my period at all, and this form of birth control works really good. my side effects wont be the same as everyone else. but i highly recommend the bar. i rather have the extra weight for the three years rather than a child to take care of for 18 ."

hns2016 August 23, 2016

For Birth Control "The only good this is that I am not pregnant. Had implant for 10 months. Periods started to be irregular, very frequent, with only 1 -2 weeks in between. Lasting longer and longer each time. Now, I am at over 2 weeks period. I still have discomfort (dull pain) where the implant is."

kat12345 August 22, 2016

For Birth Control "My experience with this has been absolutely rubbish. It's 99.9% effective because I have been on my period for about 90% of the time. I had the implant inserted in 2014, I've had it in for 2 years and I my periods and mood swings have been dreadful, I was told by the doctors it would take about 7 months to actually settle and not to have intercourse with my partner until it had! After 7 months (I know we waited) my periods were much more irregular and I was depressed and down for no reason. The only good thing about this is I haven't became pregnant. BUT I am going to have it out next week because I was admitted into hospital for blood loss because of my period !! I do not recommend this to any woman (or teen) whom is considering the implanon."

Disappointed. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I really wanted this method to work as I have not had much luck with other types of contraception. Although at first I put on weight, and have a fairly constant period. I have now had it in for about 1 year + and the periods have settled down. But i have noticed that I feel slighty, or sometimes very depressed before my period. This is not something I suffered with before, at least not to the same extent. It took me a while to realise that it could be the implant causing this, and now that i have I really just want it taken out. Has anyone else had a similar experience?"

elleelle1790 August 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this for 4 months and gained 20lbs no matter what I've done I haven't been able to lose the weight. Getting this birth control was the worst mistake of my life. Every birth control I've ever had and if I've gained weight it always went back down its been 5 months and I haven't lost a lb. I got it removed immediately. I wouldn't recommend this to people I know."

Lina1630 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016