User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1487 reviews 295 medications

6.2
Summary of Implanon reviews 1487 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "Rubbish. I had put in 4 months ago constant period haven't stopped bleeding, feel like faint due to low iron. My hair is falling out bad been told its a side effect depo having this taking out, ruining my confidence and my relationship."

Unkown35754 February 15, 2017

For Birth Control "Great for not getting pregnant; however, awful for cramping and irregular periods, sometimes lasting for a month. Also, I have had it for a year and have gained 60 lbs, I plan on switching. I am always very emotional on it too. Do not recommend"

Jennyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the implant inserted three years ago, I got constant bleeding. I would have a period for a month straight and really bad abdominal pain. The insertion was painful as the anaesthetic was not effective. I couldn't sleep on my left side for A week. During the time I had the implant I had to go on the pill to stop the bleeding. After the first year I was still getting 2 week periods and 2 weeks of no bleeding, I eventually got it out after having it for 2 years. Do not get this, it will ruin your sex life !!"

Aoif February 10, 2017

For Birth Control "Inserted October 2014. Started tracking May 1st, 2016 because I had been bleeding week before that today is Feb 10th, 2017 in the past 286 days I've bleed 192. It's effective as hell because you can't ever have sex nor is the desire even there. We used to go multiple times a day now its maybe 1 time a week.. I had no acne. No weight gain. Hair started balding in some areas. Cry everyday, never used to. Depressed to the point where I'll cut it out myself (no longer insured) and if I die it's better than another day with this thing. I'm no longer the same person I was in October and I'm so disappointed I didn't do enough research. My hormones are compromising my relationship, friendships and implanon was easily the worst decision I've made."

Omarya0920 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I first had the implanon implanted when I was 17. Idk if I just got lucky, but it was like a miracle for me. My boobs grew, skin cleared up. I do occasionally get a bit of spotting, but never had a full blown period or any cramps. My mood does swing quite rapidly, but it's worth it. I have since had it replaced with another implanon late last year, and again, not a single problem with it. I tend to be forgetful and my personal life is forever getting more chaotic, so it is good to not have to worry about remembering to take a pill every day, and it lasts three years. 10/10, would use again."

Caddie26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the implant exactly 3 months ago I was on my period when I got the implant. After the implant was in my period lasted a few day longer than usual with spotting for a few days but it wasn't bad and I expected it I would say my period with the spotting lasted a week and a half but I'm sure that was my body getting used to the hormones. Well I'm 3 months in I haven't had a period which I love I only spotted for about an hr the first time I missed my period ( it sounds crazy but it's true) I wouldn't even call it spotting it was so light. I haven't spotted since then. I haven't gained any weight I lost 4 pounds I was working out but stopped because I just started school and I'm working don't have the time:("

Ajoyw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the implanon October 2016 and have had it now for 3 months. The first 2 months I had light bleeding from my period for 3 days and no period for the rest of that month. This month I have bled nonstop for the whole month and its bright red signaling no sign of going off. Implanon seemed to be a good idea at first but with these periods I cannot do it anymore. I'm having it taken out this week."

Kemm February 5, 2017

For Birth Control "Positives: No periods now, no upkeep, easy, cheaper. Negatives: I had a continuous period for about the first 8 months with basically no breaks. Ultimately, I would suggest this to a user if they are very patient and wont become frustrated from the almost constant period that many women seem to experience from the implant. I was about to get it removed but now that i've gotten past the constant period stage, it is wonderful. Now there is little to no side effects and I no longer have periods."

Myranda L (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

For Birth Control "There are many options for a teenager, young women or even an adult to chose for birth control, I chose the implant. I chose the implant because it was number one in from keeping a girl pregnant, don't receive your period, and it last three, even four years! There is also side effects to this type of birth control. The implant made me gain a little weight and it stings very bad when the guy ejaculates inside of you, but that's just the implant doing it's job. All in all, I recommend this birthcontrol!"

Aurora Elizabeth McKinley January 21, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had the implant since September 2016 and whilst I acknowledge that it is one of, if not the most reliable methods of contraception, I am shocked at the changes it has imposed on my body. Since insertion, I have gained 2 stone with no changes in my diet or exercise and my mental health has been particularly bad. It goes without saying that everyone's body responds differently to contraceptives, but this has not worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I had the implanon put in on July 19th 2015. I have had the implanon in for 5 months and 23 days. I had it taken out two days ago after noticing my periods getting heavier. I have had a period everyday I have been on the implanon and bad mood swings. No weight gain though which is good. I would not recommend this to anyone."

AshC29 January 12, 2017

For Birth Control "I got the implanon when I was 18. At first I had no bleeding. Few months later I had regular periods and terrible mood swings. I have no idea how my boyfriend at the time put up with it. I then started to have long and heavier periods lasting about two weeks. My normal period is 4 days. But after that I wouldn't have a period for months. Then the heavy bleeding. Now I'm just spotting. Had a nasty discharge with this. Freaked me all the way out. Still have this problem and it's due to come out in the fall. Over all. Very effective."

17 year old (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

For Birth Control "When I first started using contraception, I was put on the pill and it really messed with my emotions, plus I'd end up forgetting to take it every day, so I tried Implanon. During the first year of insertion, it did cause my periods to become heavier, longer and less predictable. However, after a few months, they lessened to the point where I no longer had a period anymore (huge bonus). Anyway, I'd highly recommend implanon as a form of contraception and will continue to use it myself. Hope this helps!"

Fishrrr (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had a great experience with this birth control compared to other alternatives, including progesteron and estrogen only BC pills. Insertion was painless, and left no scar. I did begin bleeding 2 weeks after and was pretty much constantly bleeding for about 4 months, but it gradually began to taper off, and now I am experiencing more frequent periods but with less volume. There are many complaints about this side effect which initially turned me off, but this is a natural reaction that requires some patience. I would take a little blood compared to migraines, risk of blood clots, hormonal imbalances, or an unplanned pregnancy, which are more common with other BC options. I have also experienced decreased anxiety and more regular moods."

Ali_P1989 January 4, 2017

For Birth Control "It was great until I had 12 weeks of nonstop heavy bleeding and then went 4-5 weeks of no period which was awesome but now my period has come back with vengeance I don't think I've gained weight just really bloated my sex drive is gone and I'm more agitated at things easily but I've heard implanon (when you take it out) can cause you not to be able to have a baby ever again.... not sure if this is true but a friend of mine took hers out got pregnant twice and lost both babies at 23 weeks this scares me because I plan on exspanding my family I only have one child can anyone make me feel better on this? But it's done it's job I have am not / have not been pregnant sense I put this in my arm"

97shay16 December 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had this BC for almost 2 years! And need less to say I've been on my period ever since I got it. If it's not a heavy flow, it's spotting. I either have to wear tampons or panty liners everyday! Planning on getting it removed asap!"

Jo2147 December 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the implant for a year now. When I got the implant inserted my period came on immediately it's lasted for a couple of weeks. I started off weighing 100lbs I'm now 125lbs. Never in my 25years of life with two kids never weigh that much. I do have break out from time time but it's controllable.. I just have this big appetite to where I eat and eat and never get full. My sex drive has not changed it seems like it even got better.. But I've been on every Bc and this one fits me I must say.."

Ty2 December 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Implanon put in nearly two months ago; was period free for two weeks then have been bleeding ever since. I was told to expect unpredictable and irregular bleeding but it's been the opposite; just constant and annoying. My sex drive is fine but as a single person it makes it rather difficult to meet people when you're literally bleeding all the time! Went back to the doctors who has prescribed me Levelin on top to level out the bleeding, which sort of defeated the purpose of getting the Implanon in the first place so I wouldn't have to take the pill. The reason I've given it 3 stars is that despite the cost for pads, tampons and additional medications it's far less than that of having a baby, which it has been effective in preventing!"

LJD97 December 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Hi guys, I got this implant in Feb 2015, 2 months after my boy was born, and I'm planning to take it out again ASAP. As soon as I put it in I had a migraine lasted 3 days then it subsided. My joints ache, my energy levels are so low, I can't concentrate on more than 1 task at a time and no matter how I adjust my diet the weight keeps piling on. I started at 85kg I'm now 115kg. Oh yes and the mood...I'm not interested in anything. I feel low all the time. I lost my zest for life. My bf keeps telling me he misses me and I never understood until now. I bite his head off more and more its like when I was pregnant, I couldn't stand him even tho he's been an Angel from day 1."

Venushka123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Welp! 5 years later and I didnt get pregnant so thats an A+ but the largest side effect has been my plummeted sex drive. About 6 months after having it implanted, the idea of sex was so....bleh. My poor husband has really taken a blow to his ego in the last few years. Our sex life has certaintly taken a hit. So much so that he has been researching vasectomies now that I need a new BC implanted. Other than that, it worked out."

Gwen111154586 December 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I got implanon February of 2015. Also I am 4"11 100lbs when I got it so I was fairly tiny before. But the day I got it in my arm I had bruising for a whole month. Didn't get a period still haven't. My moods vary from super bitch to quiet and tired. I eat ALL the time but can't gain any weight. In fact I've lost 10 lbs since being on it and I hate it. This thing has made me moody. Have dry skin. I have lost weight and hair. Besides not getting pregnant it's doing its job."

Brye December 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had the Implanon now for 3 months and can safely say it's great, no periods and no more migraines as the microginon pill was giving me hellish headaches!... As for putting on weight, people need to realise the small piece of plastic can not and does not produce fat cells. In order to gain weight you need to EAT the food. All that being said it does play havoc with hormones and I completely agree that cravings differ, making you have that same PMS feeling you may get around the time of the month, but as for the people who say there eating habits haven't changed and they have gained weight simply isn't true. Plastic doesn't reproduce fat cells ladies So don't be fooled! That's coming from a dietician!!"

Ald21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my Implanon inserted in June 2016, it was not a big deal as my doctor was skillful. Afterward, it looked like a rather large bruise for ten or so days, but healed neat. It stayed sore for some weeks. I had a hellish first 4 mths adjusting: heavier, super-long periods followed by incessant spotting. Hair thinning & loss while body hair increased, acne, too much weight loss and feeling frequently moody, panicking or nauseous. Sex drive disappeared. Fed up and miserable, I saw my doc and was advised to wait another few mths to see if it settled. It did. My periods have stopped now, and skin and hair are much better (though not completely the same as before). So relieved it's better and that I gave it a bit more time."

Microbat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I got in inserted in the middle of March 2016 & got it taken out November 2016. I didn't get periods at first , and if I did they were very light , then 4 months later I got the worst periods I've ever had, usually before the birth control I could help my back pain & cramps with IB, IB didn't even help AT ALL when I got on birth control. May is when I realized I started gaining a lot of weight. My eating habits didn't change , neither did me working out. I kept gaining & gaining. By the time I got it taken out I weighed 135 pounds . I weighed 118 before I got it in! I also got super depressed & anxious and no one believed the birth control was doing it. Seriously I felt 100 times better when I got it out! & I already lost 7 pounds having it out"

Erica.6 December 12, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the implanon for 5 months What I experienced was bleeding every day and that I had to wear a tampon everyday for 5 months. I didn't even know when I had my period because it was like I had my period everyday. Makes your face break out, weight gain, and my sex drive disappeared. If I would have read these reviews I never would have got it. The removal procedure was also extremely painful I would not recommend anyone taking this as there are much better ways It is not worth it at all"

angry1737894905 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016