User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1541 reviews 305 medications

6.2
Summary of Implanon reviews 1541 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "My doctor explained everything and I read a brochure before receiving the implant. It's a personal decision I made and when going into it I knew that every women reacts to it physically and mentally differently! I wish there was a way they could tell you how your body would react to it before hand but they can't lol! I recommend giving it a try but it's not for me , I had it removed 6 months in. The number one reason why was because I bled since the day I got it put In, and that is just NO way to live . I had happy moments and really angry moments on it , I started getting acne on my face which I'm not use to , my anxiety was off the roof and I gained at least 15 pounds which I didn't need considering I just had a baby at the time!"

Elizabeth81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm 18 years old and I got the birth control implant months ago. The first 2 weeks were horrible for me my arm was sore and itchy and just in pain. Yes the implant does really effect your emotions I found myself getting sad or mad really fast, and cried for no reason for the first weeks. Other then that it's great! Don't feel it at all in my arm works 100% !!! Everyone needs to stop complaining about it, I mean it's messing with your hormones I'd expect it to make us emotional, everyone's experience is different, my sister got the stomach flu her first week. If you're really light in weight your period should be light and probably not even come. I just spot, but then again it's not 100% that you're not gonna get it or it's gonna be light."

APPPPPPRIILLLLLL July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for three months now and I think the only downside would be that I held for about a month and half so far. I felt really nauseous when I first got it so I could barely eat but I've lost weight and have remained very small. I haven't had an issue with weight at all so far but I do agree with the cravings. I have had cravings lately but not too bad. So far I like the implant and I would recommend it"

Afrocentricjess (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had the implanon for the past year, for the first couple of months I started gaining weight but I thought it was just me, I also began to develop depression which was strange for me because I'm usually the happy girl without mental illness after 12months I got the courage to see a doctor about these issues and the Drs have put these issues down to the implanon."

Shannon3829 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Well girls I absolutely do not recommend Implanon, let me tell you a little bit of my journey with it. I got Implanon on 8 August of 2016 and today I took it out the 17June of 2017 its been a nightmare. Of course it does what it suppose to do which is not getting you pregnant but on the other side it is the most horrible thing that has happened to me because of the side effects. 1. My period started to be irregular and after 3 months my period just disappeared 2. I am a person that always try to take care of my skin and after one month of having Implanon my skin started to be dry, breakout a lot even on my back "

Kiarynn June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I decided to get the implanon because I've suffered with very very bad period pains, to the extent that I can't leave my bed, and I decided to make changes. I've had the implanon in for 6 months now and I only got my period once, and it's was light and only lasted a day and NO CRAMPS! I been reading comments on here, and I think different bodies different effect that's what I think. It's perfect, although I got a very bad rash that lasted two weeks when I only had it on for a month. Other than that, I think it's perfect for my body. I recommend my cousin and sister to get it and they haven't seen their periods till now, and no side effects. Best of luck to anyone getting it or already have it x"

Chokolade (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Where do I start? No sex drive, horrible attitude towards EVERYTHING, anxious, horrible cramps. I was on the pill for almost a year I felt fine but I wasn't always on time about taking it so I switched over to the implanon. For 10 months I got my period non stop. For some weeks it would be a light period, but still a period. Then for another month or so I would get heavy heavy periods with cramps that made it so hard to get up from bed. Which I had never experienced!!! I was so hard for me to want to have sex. I don't recommend this AT ALL and to top it off my Dr. didn't want me to get off it. Saying they could just give me ANOTHER HORMORNAL PILL to stop the bleeding. HECK NO!!"

Marlopss June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "For the first 3 months everything was dandy until I found out that in those 3 months I got pregnant I got this to prevent anything like that happen, however my nurse didn't inform me that certain pills can reduce its efficiency, I ended up having a miscarriage. So I put that failure down to lack of knowledge, as time went on I had 2 months of no period then an entire month of bleeding. I've been getting spots and hot flushes caused by this, not to mention I've suffered from severe depression and anxiety caused by the implanon which caused me to stop eating because I had constant knots in my stomach and despite this no eating I've went up 3 dress sizes! I suggest getting the 3 month jab and seeing your reaction it may not be horrible for everyone."

Shortney June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for 4 months and will be getting it removed tomorrow. Up until the last month or so, I've really loved it. It's been great not to worry about taking birth control or getting pregnant. However, about a month in, I began getting mild chin acne. It's been three months since and not only has the acne on my chin worsened, but it has now started aggressively forming around my eyebrows. I have NEVER had acne in my life (I'm 22) so this has been absolutely horrible. I have also now had a period for nearly 2 weeks (since I was 15, I haven't had a period lasting longer than 5-6 days). Periods can be irregular, but I simply can't live with the acne. Good riddance!"

gaffs (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "After being on the pill for years, I decided to try the implanon for two reasons. 1: you don't have to remember to take the pill every day and 2: it is so much cheaper than the pill in Australia. The implanon was about $30 once off for three years and the pill costs me $75 for three months. At first I thought it was great because I didn't my period for the first two months. Then it became once a month, which I thought was still fine. But a year later I had it taken out because I was bleeding about 50% of the time in an almost 1 week on / 1 week off pattern. In addition, my skin broke out on my back so badly that my doctor put me on Minocycline. So I had to remember to take daily medicine anyway, and I've never had acne before."

SavannaK99 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I only had the implanon inserted about 3 months ago but so far it has had it's pro's and con's. I'll start with the pro's. It's great not to have to worry about taking the pill or getting pregnant!! I haven't put on any weight at all. I haven't had depressed thoughts/anxiety even though I've experienced this in my past. My sex drive is great. There is just one con which is quite a big one for me considering I'm in a new relationship etc. My skin has developed this awful acne. Really deep, painful spots that appear all over my chin and forehead. I got a few spots before but nothing like this. They are so so painful I've had to go to my doctor and they've prescribed me with 80 days worth of antibiotics and gel to hopefully help it."

Ces93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The implant is by far the worst contraception have ever been on and I wouldn't recommend this at all! I was only on the implant for 7 months but it was an absolute hell. I suffered terrible anxiety and depression which worsened to me not even wanting to leave the house and waking up daily thinking I'd be better off not here. I had to take tonnes of time off work due to the above along with stomach pains, migraines, sleep problems and the list goes on. I put on so much weight despite rarely eating because of my stomach pains. I'd be here all day if I explained the entirety of my implant experience but please take this into consideration"

Stephjane22 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This form of contraception is great for preventing pregnancy, there is no worry of forgetting a pill. However after 6 months I've just had my implant removed, at first it was fine, although periods are very irregular, they would happen unexpectedly. I suffered from mood swings, depression, low sex drive and acne whilst having the implant. My appetite increased, constantly feeling hungry and I gained some weight. My emotions were all over the place, I found myself getting far too emotional, crying quite a lot! I'm so happy that it is now removed and I can look forward to feeling good again."

V93456 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had implanon in for 4-5 months, my first hormone contraceptive. Bled consistently, became bloated overall, veins thicker, more visible, put on clotting medication for 1 month to help bleeding, ended up with a haemorrhoid the size of a golf ball. Worst part was the psychiatric illness that evolved/worsened from time of insertion. Developed/diagnosed severe OCD, severe physical generalised anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. Had it taken out and was on nothing for 3 weeks to "clean" my system. Not long enough. Mental issues did not go away. 2 antidepressants that didn't work, valium, antipsychotics, hypnotherapy, psychology, psychiatry, recent trip to the hospital for suicide prevention and I am still suffering now 5 months later"

YayorNay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been using implanon, now nexplanon for 5 years now. (3 years each) this is my second insertion after my first was expired. Since then I haven't had my period in ages. However, my appetite had taken full control and weight gain came along. Sex drive has slowed down and mood swings here and there. So yeah things u will have to work on. Still..no pregnancy at all and no periods. Its like an extended vacation from mother nature"

Creme La Creme May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I used Norplant back in the day. Had it removed in 5 yrs as scheduled in 98. No problems. No period for 4 yrs. No spotting. All good. So I requested another norplant and was advised it had been pulled due to side effects. Did the pill for a few years them got implanon in 2013 and told I would probably have similar experience as norplant. Wrong. I spotted constantly for almost the entire 3 yrs. Nothing heavy but constant. Maybe 4 or 5 scattered days monthly with no spotting. Not good for my sex life. Got it removed on the 3 yr Mark and went back to the pill. Rarely had a period but started having blood pressure issue so stopped the pill. Considering IUD"

Kricket72 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've has mine in since November 2014 and it's due to come out at the end of this year. I've had no complications, not one period since having it implanted, not even spotting until this morning when I woke up I had bled everywhere, seems as though mine has run out? if that's even possible? It's been amazing since this morning. Can't fault it"

Soph20 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My boyfriend and I used to have sex all the time... Because I didn't want to get knocked up, I got on this thing and well it worked, mainly because you lose your sex drive, gain absolutely tons of weight and can't stand the little things you used to ignore. Sooo yes, you won't get pregnant unless you're single out on the town and no one has to deal with that "

Great! If you never have sex! (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Had this in implanted on 2015 at first it was working well I had my periods regularly and no weight gain or mood swings. After a few months I stopped having my period and having all sort of mood issues. I would be extremely fatigued, I had extreme anxiety at night whether eating or no sleep at night, I did exercise and diet but still had a lot of obsesive cravings all the time. I complained of it with the Dr who suggested me to and drink water or ice (did not work), told me to do exercise which I did (did not work). I gained weight a lot from 110 to 201 if I tried a strict strict diet I would have severe headaches where 3 pills wouldn't work at all sometimes I felt numbness in my arms and legs they said it was normal. Now I totally feel depressed unhealthy"

Number00 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Hi I don't know if any males have commented here but I need advice. My wife had this implant about 18 months ago, since then she has become very angry and really hard to live with. We have been married nearly 20 years but now it looks like it is all over, mood swings and no sex drive. I have tried to ask her to have it removed but she rips my head off at that. I had a vasectomy which didn't work but will have it again to so she can remove the implant. Any help would be good because I don't want our marriage to end."

Brokenmam May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Well , it worked perfectly for me. Just few stains of blood. My only problem was weight gain and bloat"

amyzon May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got the rod put in Feb of 2016.. sooo 14 months, and this thing has been bad ever since I got it. I got my period like a week after and was on it for two weeks. I usually only get my period for 3/4 days. But my periods stayed like that for a while , then they started lasting 3 weeks , and then I'd spot for the last week. And now I've had my period for a whole month .. I'm getting this out ASAP. I have changed from the person I used to be . Always moody . Kinda felt like I was a little depressed . But I did lose weight on it , but so not worth it and I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND"

Kens21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Just started my 3rd month on Implanon for first time. First period started 1 week after inserted lasted two and half weeks, and since then I have spotted / light bleeding everyday. No real sign of another actual period yet. No sex drive. I'm willing to keep it in for a few more months as I feel ok and have not had any mental distubances on it yet. Hopefully spotting dies down and I can be more intimate with my husband again."

Bellaloco (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So I've had my period has always been hell cramps like crazy, insane mood swings, and horrible acne. I've tried almost every birth control pill on the market and all of them have either not been effective in stopping my period or have made my acne worse. Last year after a scare I decided it was time for a more permanent solution. 3 months in and I was really loving it. It really made my periods better and bearable. Then it started to go hairy. I started loosing hair, my hair became greasy, my skin began flaking and breaking out. This was all pretty upsetting but if my period would stay gone than it was worth it. Basically my period came back and was coming every day! I also put on 30 pounds with no lifestyle changes."

24/7 period May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've had it in for almost 2 years and have bled pretty much constantly in that time! I've put on 15kg. I'm moody lazy and bloated all the time. My life is horrible since having it. I have tried to have it removed 3 times now but Dr keep saying just wait a few more months things will settle. Mmm not likely. I will be changing Dr and having it removed"

Ash7754 April 29, 2017