User Reviews for Implanon

6.1

1,604 reviews 307 medications
Summary of Implanon reviews 6.1 1,604 reviews

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I’m not taking it but my daughter is, she has been on it for about 6 weeks , has had a light period which lasted 8 days, her skin has cleared dramatically and she has lost kilos, I have noticed she is less tolerant of me and is quite short with me, more than normal. I will post another update in another month or two"

Brie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my first implanon at age 16 years oldto help with heavy periods. It was my first and only birth control. The day after I got it my entire arm was numb and swollen. I live in a rural area and by the time I got to the hospital (2.5 hours) the swelling was gone so I kept it in. My period was heavy and constant for two months before it vanished with only the occasional spotting every few months. It worked well besides some depression and anxiety, weight gain, and complete loss of sex drive. I put on 20 kilos with no changes to my diet or exercise regime. At 19 years old I had the bar replaced. The same symptoms occurred within the first months except that I lost 15kg. Over the last 2 years since this bar was inserted, I have dealt with unbearable depression and anxiety, and it continues to rise. My sex drive is still non-existent. I was lucky enough to not experience hair loss or acne. Wouldn't recommend this to my friends unless they're serious about keeping their mental health on track."

Chess (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2018

For Birth Control "So I got my implant about three months ago and its been good for unprotected sex but I’ve definitely gained at least 15 pounds on it. I hate that part but otherwise its been way easier than having to remember taking the pill. I haven’t experienced any of the other symptoms but maybe headaches which I used to never get. And then I feel nauseous every now and then. Just thought I’d pass this along. I’m going to ask my doctor about the weight gain."

Skinney (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2018

For Birth Control "My experience with this drug is not the best. I had it inserted after an ovarian cyst removal to prevent growth of another and at first it was amazing, I haven't had a period at ALL since I had it inserted (late 2015) and that was definitely a plus however I experienced slight hair loss, I have a lot of hair and it sheds a lot normally, it was not super dramatic but definitely a noticable difference in hair loss. The mood swings were HORRIBLE, my poor partner copped it almost every day and I had major fatigue. I am yet still to have it removed but I will update on the effects I experience after removal."

Kayki (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I never really share experiences on these forums, but if this helps just one other woman, then it's worth it. I had the Implanon NXT inserted in January 2018. I had no apprehension about using it as I had it several years ago and it was great. This time around though, I wasn't so lucky. Since January, my life has been extremely difficult. Aside from constant bleeding the first few weeks and gaining 10lbs, the anxiety and depression have been the worst. It took me a long time to realise that the implanon was the cause of my anxiety, paranoia, and mood swings. I felt like I was going crazy. I tried everything, holistic therapy, mediation, diet & exercise and eventually by process of elimination- I realised it was the implanon causing my mental health issues. Implanon removed yesterday, and already I feel better in my mood, and my mind has slowed down. I've always been a mentally-strong person & a fighter, who luckily never suffered from mental health problems."

SMiss April 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I had this implant for 7 months. It caused me to be very aggravated and depressed. I got horrible face and body acne. My back acne was so painful my husband couldn't hug me. It also made my hair fall out, in clumps. It's been 18 months since I have had the implant removed. The acne cleared up, I do have scarring from it though. My hair has never returned to what it was before the implant. I've read that it probably will never come back."

Cookie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I was unfortunate enough to get a lot of side effects from the implant. For a month I had terrible headaches, a constant (almost 5 weeks!) light period, fever and chills, my arm was incredibly tender and I just felt depressed and anxious all the time. Yes, I know that it can take a little while for the body to adjust to the hormones but it was just too much for me and I had it removed 5 weeks after putting it in. The doctor who removed it said that it was inserted way too deep and may have been impacting a nerve, causing my pain. Within an hour of having it removed I felt lighter and happier than I have in weeks, and my headache and fever have disappeared. I'm not saying that everyone should boycott this method, but definitely be prepared for some awful side effects."

J (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Nexplanon for around 3 months and bled for 6 weeks continuously. I gained 15lbs and became very miserable and cried over nothing. I decided enough is enough and I want the thing out of me asap. The doctor was very defensive about Nexplanon and advised that the symptoms I was having would not have been caused by the implant - I hate to break it to you doc but I know my own body! Had a look on google and the reasons why doctors prefer you to stick with the implant is because its costs the NHS around £80 and they see it as a ‘waste’ if you want it taken out after a few months. I will never recommend the implant to anyone."

Harpo April 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I've read a lot of reviews on implanon before I decided to get it and I was very scared that I would have a bad experience with it. Turned out, I love it!!! It's good and safe. It makes my life a lot easier. I could've given it a 10/10, but I only gave it a 9/10 because I was spotting for 8 weeks until everything started to get into places and my period stopped completely. I got it done on 16th August 2017, it was the 4th days through my period (usually have it for 7 days). I started spotting a little bit of blood from that day. Went to the doctor for more information and they told me not to worry and see for 3-6 months. Waited patiently and eventually it stopped. Now I got nothing to worry anymore!"

Nan March 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the implant about 3 months ago and I don’t recommend it. I have been on a heavy, painful period for about a month, have lost my sex drive and have been having bad mood swings for a couple weeks now. The cramps have been horrible too- pain in my back and abdomen. I have also gained 10 pounds somehow. I know it’s the implant because I haven’t felt this way prior to getting it. It has negatively affected my mood, my physical wellbeing and my relationship with my partner. I'm going to get it taken out tomorrow and can’t wait to feel back to normal again."

Isabel March 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the implant in May 2017 and I bled for 3 months so the doctors gave me the combined pill to take everyday for 3 months. I then had 2 months break and bled again for the full 2 months and then they gave me more. And now I’ve suddenly started getting blood randomly and when I have sex."

Nic467368 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the impalanon for 12 months during that time I had on average 17 day long periods with maybe 3 days break before they started again. I experienced seveer cramps, migraines, diarrhea complete loss of sex drive and gained over 20kg. I was also diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. Since having it removed 2 weeks ago I have lost 5kg I feel fantastic and am going to see my doctor about coming off my antidepressants. My relationship has improved because I’m not having ridiculous mood swings and my sex drive is coming back. My doctor kept assuring me that my Implanon was not causing any of my issues, apparently he was wrong. I’m so glad I stood my ground and removed it against his recommendation. It was the worst decision of my life having it and I’m so grateful to have it out."

Beccells (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on implanon for about 4 years now. The first 3 years were awesome I never had a period. Year 4 now I am starting to have a period once a month. It’s not heavy but it’s not consistent yet either sometimes it’s the first week of the month sometimes it’s the second. Over the 4 years I’ve noticed a lot of weight gain. I don’t eat very healthy or workout consistently but I didn’t before I started using the implant either. Overall I’ve had no pregnancies and only 3 periods in 4 years so if you ask me a little weight gain and mood swings is way better than having an unplanned child. Would recommend for young less responsible adults who can’t remember taking the pill every day like me lol Lastly my insurance covered the implant so not having to go to the pharmacy every month to pick and pay for the pill has been so convenient!"

Sarah Rice (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this BC for about ten months at the age of 24. It caused me horrible acne break outs all over my body which required medical attention. I would also have a 12 day period twice a month (more or less all the time). My sex drive was non-existent and my mood was low and depressed. Since getting off and working with a dermatologist my symptoms have resolved except skin scarring. I had to take a break from BC for six months before moving on to a different method. Worst of all, because it cannot be removed on your own, I felt helpless and trapped in my body. It was difficult to get an appointment with my doc due to scheduling and I ended up with it 6 weeks longer than I would have liked after calling to get it removed. It was a horrible, helpless situation. I actually have friends on it and they aren't scrambling to get it removed as well. Best of luck but please think this one through"

jbrown91 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control IS AWFUL. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression after having started this birth control. It made me periods completely stop which may be fine for some but I made me have side effects of pregnancy. Such has nausea, crying, mood swings. I couldn’t keep up with myself. It definitely did it’s job as birth control. No kids for the 3 years I had it. (Took it out and put a new one in) but the side effects were enough to make me remove it. I will NEVER again use it!"

LizizEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had 3 implanon implants. Both have been 100% effective in preventing pregnancy as I was told it would be if inserted correctly. My menstrual cycle did go through some changes but it was nothing too bad. If anything over time it became more reliable and I could estimate when it would come. Some periods were heavier but none were long lasting. When compared with other forms of contraception I had little to no issues with it. One thing that's worth keeping in mind is the time it can take your hormones to return to normal afterwards, it can take up to 18months so if you plan on becoming pregnant, plan accordingly. For those who really can't afford to have more children or don't want any yet this is a good option to discuss with your doctor. Like everything there is some side effects you just have to gauge if it's worth the risk for the benefits. With government assistance it cost $6 for 3 Years so price wise it's unbeatable and beats the alternative if an unwanted pregnancy occurs."

MissyMe-30s February 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Using the birth control was a choice I made so that I didn't get pregnant until we were ready to make that choice. However, during the time using it, I had 0 and I mean ZERO sex drive, I would avoid my hubbie at all costs. I was moody, and SO exhausted to the point I would fall asleep constantly, but the worst? I gained 17kg (37.4lb) in 4 months and I didn't change ANYTHING. Safe to say I got it removed and I would NEVER EVER say to anyone "use implanon its great!""

Seara990 January 29, 2018

For Birth Control "was on it for 3 months and it was initially good except for weight gain and hair loss, which is why I got it taken off it."

rubi022 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had this implant for about 3 1/2 months and it is very effective. I wanted to talk about, I see a lot of people saying that they’ve gained a lot of weight. But for me my experience has been different and I wanted to know if anybody has experience the same instead of gaining weight I’m losing weight I see a lot of people saying that they’ve gained a lot of weight. I just started to feel full usually I over eat but now I don’t feel the need to I just feel full even if I don’t eat anything I feel full I can tell the difference by looking at my body and looking at my stomach I’ve been losing weight"

Deeww January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "So, I got my implant on December 1,2017, I’m only 18 got it cuz if anything happens I wanna be safe, first few weeks were ok but when I got my period it hasn’t stopped, I keep spotting and it's really annoying, I really haven’t gain weight but I’m really worried, I’m young and dealing w this. Should I give it time or just take it out and try the pill, , I haven’t had any mood swings, just the first week but that about it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

For Birth Control "My personal experience with this one was awful. The first few months I would feel like the baby hulk. literally. I would get so mad at my boyfriend . I've never been an angry person but I felt extremely angry the first few months over nothing!! Then after that it went away. I got really bad acne, my face was always oily no matter what I did. I was always hot and sweaty. I felt a mess and my arm always hurt, and I couldn't bend it certain ways. I tried to wait it out for a year but I finally got it out & that process sucked but I feel better already."

breesa January 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided to go on Implanon Nov of '15. At first I was getting normal periods for the first 6 months. Then my period disappeared for about 6 months. There may have been a bit of spotting here and there. However, my acne and mood did a complete 180.° I felt erratic and couldn't understand why I was suddenly an emotional wreck.The entire second year, I had my period for 9 out of the 12 months. Not always super heavy, but enough to make things inconvenient. The mood swings continued and I gained 10lbs. I can't wait to feel like myself again. Getting it removed this month."

ItsBnRuf January 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Although it doesn’t make me breakout more than average, I have to say that the acne that forms is worse. On the pill, I would only breakout during my period and they would be white heads which are easily removable. On the implant, it seems that I only ever get cyst like acne which is a lot more painful and takes longer to go away. Not to mention it takes up more SURFACE AREA on your face. On the bright side, I think I’ve only had my period twice out of the four-ish months I’ve had it."

Mel0n January 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Hey all, Really would not recommend this BC method. Once I got mine in I had a three month non stop period (not spotting, full period) until my doctor suggested I go onto the pill as well to even myself out. This didn’t work as when I finished my 3 months of prescribed pills, my period came back just as strong as before. Found myself with emotional irregularities and I gained a fair bit of weight that I couldn’t shift, and also had random bouts of nausea every few days. Long story short, getting it out ASAP."

Em A (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2017

For Birth Control "So I got my first implant after an emergency c section (Sept 2014). I was breastfeeding so didn't notice anything off and still lost all my baby weight. Year 3 however I gained 10 pounds while very active and eating good. I got it replaced ( which it was stuck so I now have permanent nerve damage ) and with the new one I have nausea , dizziness, angry, headaches, pelvic pain and hot flashes. Every time I step on the scale the number has gone up. I'm getting it out in 9 days. I'm done with this thing. I would rather have a period instead of 2 days of spotting dark brown goo."

Bre86 December 7, 2017