User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 253 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I've had implanon since Aug of 2015 and I must say, it works really well. For the first 2 - 3 months, I didn't get a period, but I did spot. I spotted about 2 x a week, but after that it went away. I love this method of birth control, however, the only thing I really dislike is the fact that it makes you eat sooo much and then you gain weight. Not sure if it happens to everyone, but that's what I experienced. It made me eat a lot and a lot of weight was gained. But overall, I LOVE the birth control method."

Kat Kathleen March 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello ladies, I've had the implanon for 2 years now and I can say I like it but also there are things I don't like about it. I got my implanon inserted in 2015 and didn't have any problems with it until about 6 months into it. After that I've had periods 2 times a month - every month that has lasted for about 5 days, sometimes even lasted a week. The second thing I don't like about it is I have no sex drive what so ever. Another thing I don't like is my hair falls out and I can't seem to stop gaining weight and I'm tired a lot, I also got diagnosed with panic disorders"

Lakerbabe95 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the implant since Feb 2016. Before that I got the depo shots and decided to switch because I did not like the depo. I have been VERY impressed with the implant and how it has been for me. I spotted one time in 2016 and it was about a month after I got the implant, I think it was just because my body was just trying to get used to the horomones. I cramped for a week, and only bled for a few days. As of today (mar 2017) I was cramping all day, low and behold I started my period. Now I am not complaining considering I haven't had one for over a year, but I am hoping this will be just like last time! I do recommend it!"

Paige5 March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Update: this is my fourth month in and the first time I have had a period with this implant I started bleeding a few days after my last post in here I've been bleeding for a month and one week now I'm not sure when it will stop it keeps getting light and switches to a heavy flow. I still haven't gained any weight but my sex drive has been down this last month (it could be from the contestant bleeding) doesn't make me feel sexy and I had a really high sex drive before I feel like it's ruining my sex life with my bf"

Angeljoyw91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I gave it the benefit of the doubt and had 2 sessions worth of it..... it did prevent any pregnancies but at the risk of never bleeding. I don't know about yall but it scared the crap out of me! My sex drive vanished once I got on it. 10-20 lbs of weight was gained over the course of 4 1/2 years. finally got it out and still not bleeding.....not sure what all it screwed up...... good luck ladies!"

Kkyleen96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Kept it about a year before asking for his removal. 9 months bleeding almost non stop and half of my boob size vanished, leaving them like 2 empty sacks (I'm 22). They kind of grew back afterwards but never got back to their initial shape."

Amdfire March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had the implant for about a little over a year now. I'll have to say it is very reliable for preventing pregnancy. It's much easier then the pill in my opinion. Honestly when I first got it I bled for about 8 months straight. It was lighter, but still a hassle. I was determined to keep it in. After about a year I stopped bleeding. Now I only get 4-5 light periods every other month. If your willing to wait it out, I definitely would. It took my body awhile to get used to it and now it's doing great! I barely get headaches and cramps (only a little cramps to indicate my period was coming) No weight gain either! Definitely worth it."

Swhis (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is my second year on this & I'm already about to get this taken out. I absolutely HATE IT. It doesn't make me gain weight at all.. while I was on this I probably gained about 5-10 pounds and thats it. I weigh 115. One thing I really hate about this is I'm constantly bleeding. I'll be bleeding for a month & be off for about 2 weeks or 1 & I'll be back on. Not just that, ever since I've been on this I've been sad, mad, every mood in the book. It works and everything but honestly I just think this is the worst birth control ever! (I didn't try every birthcontrol). I'm moving to the shot. This is the worst thing I can ever get. I hate it. I definitely don't recommended this. It makes me not even wanna have sex anymore. This thing is horrible!!"

MarieT1028 March 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking it out in a few days! I've gained over 20 lbs with it in. I just eat and eat and don't get full. Don't feel like having sex and just feel like blah. When everyone else has lost weight because of breastfeeding I've just been gaining. I'll go back to the nuvaring. Even though I got pregnant while on it. (Another story). I've been working out. Guess I can do more but I've never weighed this much in my life."

DCPearl February 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had my implant for 3 years in April, it has prevented pregnancy but the side effects have been awful. I've gained 5 stone in weight, I have had huge spots come up all over my body but mainly on my face and neck, I've used every spot treatment out there including medications from my doctor, I've had tender breasts most of the time and have no energy at all, I've spent the last 3 years on diets and exercising and even using weight loss pills and the weight will not shift. To the lady that asked about pregnancy after the implant, it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy after its removal, I know 2 people that have had healthy children since, I hope you see this and it helps, I will not be having a replacement after my experience with it"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm from the UK so I don't pay for it but I had bleeding from April 2016 until the end of December 2016. It affected my life and relationship so much. I hated trying to have sex and feel good while bleeding non stop. Thank god it's finally stopped. Was told I'd have to take a pill alongside it to stop the bleeding or put up with it. The reason I got it was so I didn't have to take a pill so that would have defeated the purpose! Works well at preventing pregnancy though."

Jessicaaaa February 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Love love love it!! Been using it to nearly 4 years now, no problems what so ever apart from irregular periods maybe consisting for a month or so but other than that child free! Best contraception I've been on!"

Annemarie_mollie1996 February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always been on a diet and on regular exercise (about 2 hours a day). I stopped dieting for 5 months (precisely the first 5 months I had the implant), and I gained 12 pounds in that time even with the constant physical activity. Even now that I have started dieting again it seems impossible to lose the pounds I gained and even more the fat in the abdominal zone. I have tried hypocaloric diets, cardio workouts and still I can't get rid of them. Not to mention the devilish mood swings and headaches. Of course it works as a contraceptive but agh, WEIGHT GAIN."

19andnotpregnant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love this little guy! I can't take estrogen so my doctor recommended this to me. While the birth control pill is incredible, this rod really shines because of how it stops PMS and almost annihilates my periods! I have experienced no weight gain, irregular bleeding, or acne while on this. The fact that it has a 0.05% failure rate really helps me sleep at night. I had very little bruising after getting it inserted but there was a some pain for about 5 days afterwards. This wasn't a problem because the implant is inserted on the non-dominant arm. It is totally invisible besides the tiny dot on my upper arm that nobody has noticed. Playing with the implant is also something fun to do in a boring class!"

Ellie4696 February 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Rubbish. I had put in 4 months ago constant period haven't stopped bleeding, feel like faint due to low iron. My hair is falling out bad been told its a side effect depo having this taking out, ruining my confidence and my relationship."

Unkown35754 February 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great for not getting pregnant; however, awful for cramping and irregular periods, sometimes lasting for a month. Also, I have had it for a year and have gained 60 lbs, I plan on switching. I am always very emotional on it too. Do not recommend"

Jennyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the implant inserted three years ago, I got constant bleeding. I would have a period for a month straight and really bad abdominal pain. The insertion was painful as the anaesthetic was not effective. I couldn't sleep on my left side for A week. During the time I had the implant I had to go on the pill to stop the bleeding. After the first year I was still getting 2 week periods and 2 weeks of no bleeding, I eventually got it out after having it for 2 years. Do not get this, it will ruin your sex life !!"

Aoif February 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Inserted October 2014. Started tracking May 1st, 2016 because I had been bleeding week before that today is Feb 10th, 2017 in the past 286 days I've bleed 192. It's effective as hell because you can't ever have sex nor is the desire even there. We used to go multiple times a day now its maybe 1 time a week.. I had no acne. No weight gain. Hair started balding in some areas. Cry everyday, never used to. Depressed to the point where I'll cut it out myself (no longer insured) and if I die it's better than another day with this thing. I'm no longer the same person I was in October and I'm so disappointed I didn't do enough research. My hormones are compromising my relationship, friendships and implanon was easily the worst decision I've made."

Omarya0920 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first had the implanon implanted when I was 17. Idk if I just got lucky, but it was like a miracle for me. My boobs grew, skin cleared up. I do occasionally get a bit of spotting, but never had a full blown period or any cramps. My mood does swing quite rapidly, but it's worth it. I have since had it replaced with another implanon late last year, and again, not a single problem with it. I tend to be forgetful and my personal life is forever getting more chaotic, so it is good to not have to worry about remembering to take a pill every day, and it lasts three years. 10/10, would use again."

Caddie26 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the implant exactly 3 months ago I was on my period when I got the implant. After the implant was in my period lasted a few day longer than usual with spotting for a few days but it wasn't bad and I expected it I would say my period with the spotting lasted a week and a half but I'm sure that was my body getting used to the hormones. Well I'm 3 months in I haven't had a period which I love I only spotted for about an hr the first time I missed my period ( it sounds crazy but it's true) I wouldn't even call it spotting it was so light. I haven't spotted since then. I haven't gained any weight I lost 4 pounds I was working out but stopped because I just started school and I'm working don't have the time:("

Ajoyw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got the implanon October 2016 and have had it now for 3 months. The first 2 months I had light bleeding from my period for 3 days and no period for the rest of that month. This month I have bled nonstop for the whole month and its bright red signaling no sign of going off. Implanon seemed to be a good idea at first but with these periods I cannot do it anymore. I'm having it taken out this week."

Kemm February 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Positives: No periods now, no upkeep, easy, cheaper. Negatives: I had a continuous period for about the first 8 months with basically no breaks. Ultimately, I would suggest this to a user if they are very patient and wont become frustrated from the almost constant period that many women seem to experience from the implant. I was about to get it removed but now that i've gotten past the constant period stage, it is wonderful. Now there is little to no side effects and I no longer have periods."

Myranda L (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"There are many options for a teenager, young women or even an adult to chose for birth control, I chose the implant. I chose the implant because it was number one in from keeping a girl pregnant, don't receive your period, and it last three, even four years! There is also side effects to this type of birth control. The implant made me gain a little weight and it stings very bad when the guy ejaculates inside of you, but that's just the implant doing it's job. All in all, I recommend this birthcontrol!"

Aurora Elizabeth McKinley January 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before the implant I suffered from GAD and Panic Disorder. Once I got that under control through Zoloft, I decided I wanted a effective birth control I wouldn't have to think about taking everyday. My doctor told me Implanon was the best option and I was eager to get it inserted. Ever since I've had Implanon inserted, my anxiety became worse than ever. I can't wait to get this thing out of me! If you suffer from any type of anxiety or depression, DO NOT get the implant!"

Snow16 January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had the implant since September 2016 and whilst I acknowledge that it is one of, if not the most reliable methods of contraception, I am shocked at the changes it has imposed on my body. Since insertion, I have gained 2 stone with no changes in my diet or exercise and my mental health has been particularly bad. It goes without saying that everyone's body responds differently to contraceptives, but this has not worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017