User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I had the implanon about 7 years ago and had it taken out after only a year (not the 3 its allowed). This was a horrible experience for me. I didn't have a period he entire time, I gained almost 50 lbs, had the worst mood swings, I could feel myself becoming angry/crazy even though often times it was not that serious. Everything made me mad, or made me cry-- just horrible. after having it removed, it took almost 2 and a half years to start my period again and another 2 for it to become regular! when I did first get it, I had a period every 4-5 months. Now that it is a bit regular, I still can not seem to get pregnant. worst decision I ever made was getting the implanon. NEVER AGAIN, nor do I recommend to anyone"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016

"I had the depo injection for 8 years and my doctor made me stop it even though I had not been sent for a bone scan!! He gave me a choice of other birth controls as I have three beautiful kids I needed something as effective as the depo which 100% agreed with me no periods, no weight gain it was great. So I went for the bar in my arm as doctor told me same hormones as the depo (ya right) 6 months I have this in my arm and have gained 2 stone, feel crap about myself terrible outbreaks of acne (never even had spots as a teenager) and feeling low and depressed and periods every two weeks!!! Mine is coming out next week never again I'm.going back on the depo I'll drink plenty of milk for the bones lol"

Emlouoc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2016

"I got this implant in October 2015 which was about 10 months ago. Worst decision of my entire life! While it did its job by not getting me pregnant it has a ton of side effects. First my arm gets the extreme pains where the implant is at random times. When I got the thing I was around 210 and I had recently just lost 50 pounds and I was feeling great about myself. Well now I weigh 281 and I believe it is because when I got the implant I started to crave certain foods and they wouldn't go away until I had it. The third thing is it made me extremely moody all of the time. My family and I have and I have been evaluating my behavior and I get angry for no reason all of the time. Last thing my periods happen 2 a month and they last 7-10 days!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

"I was on depo for 10 years. The only side effects I experienced were a complete lack of period (which I think is great) but a reduced sex drive as well. There were also concerns from my doctor that I may experience bone density loss due to extended depo use. After some thought I went with the arm implant because it seemed fairly noninvasive compared to other methods. So far so good. It's been about a month. I was told if I had a positive depo experience I should have a positive implant experience because it's the same hormone with a different delivery method. I still don't have a period ( I actually like that) but I had a bad bruise at the insertion site initially, and a month in I can still see and feel the implant and it's sensitive."

Beesting83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

"I had the implant in my arm for about 10 months. The only reason why I never got pregnant was because my period lasted for 4-6 weeks. Which was the worst side effect. I was very moody and never realized it until people would tell me and I had to reflect and see myself acting out of the ordinary. Before getting the implant, I was a nice 140 pounds and then I went to 165 in about 2 months. I'm a professional dancer and I'm in the gym 5 times a week and I eat extremely healthy. No matter what I did, I could never lose the weight. I took the implant out about 2 weeks ago. I went from 165 pounds to 157 in that 2 week time. My periods are back to 4 days also. I will never try this again and I'm looking into different birth controls. Stay away!"

Keykey123 August 25, 2016

"im 2 weeks in and i just want to know will this help me gain weight, i was currently on depo and switched to nexplanon thinking it will make me gain , i cant really tell yet , the only i experience is the cramping , but i take pills for that, but other than im fine so far,"

TAJ G August 24, 2016

"Ive had the implanon in now for just 4 Months. I have gained almost 2 stone and still going! none of my "pre implanon" clothes fit me!!! Size uk10 to 14 in 4 months!? I have extremely low self esteem now due to this. I genuinely hate myself thats how LOW I feel. No money to purchase my unwanted bigger wardrobe! In fact I put on LESS weight being pregnant! Im actually eating healthier and walking more then I was before. I'm due to have it taken out very soon I CANT WAIT. I get random heavy as hell bleeding which are very painful that I'm crouching over at work in front of customers!!! Oh yes it's a very effective contraception but only because you turn completely mental case and bleed ALL the time. What a turn on eh. DON'T RECOMMEND"

DON'Tbother (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"Awesome form of birth control. I been on its since December 2014. It has not failed me once. My periods with out BC are every month with BC it's every two to three months witch is great. Also I have noticed the only side effect for me is when I'm going to start my menstural I'll develop a little bit of acne otherwise great method and I'm going to renew it for another three years."

Anonymous August 24, 2016

"i had the bar placed in on may of 2014, since then ive had extremely bad depression which i had to go on medication for. and when i got on the birth control i weighed 90 pounds on the dot now i weigh 137 pounds and that weight is the hardest to lose. but with that said i go the bar placd in for free from my school health center, i haven't had my period at all, and this form of birth control works really good. my side effects wont be the same as everyone else. but i highly recommend the bar. i rather have the extra weight for the three years rather than a child to take care of for 18 ."

hns2016 August 23, 2016

"The only good this is that I am not pregnant. Had implant for 10 months. Periods started to be irregular, very frequent, with only 1 -2 weeks in between. Lasting longer and longer each time. Now, I am at over 2 weeks period. I still have discomfort (dull pain) where the implant is."

kat12345 August 22, 2016

"My experience with this has been absolutely rubbish. It's 99.9% effective because I have been on my period for about 90% of the time. I had the implant inserted in 2014, I've had it in for 2 years and I my periods and mood swings have been dreadful, I was told by the doctors it would take about 7 months to actually settle and not to have intercourse with my partner until it had! After 7 months (I know we waited) my periods were much more irregular and I was depressed and down for no reason. The only good thing about this is I haven't became pregnant. BUT I am going to have it out next week because I was admitted into hospital for blood loss because of my period !! I do not recommend this to any woman (or teen) whom is considering the implanon."

Disappointed. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

"I really wanted this method to work as I have not had much luck with other types of contraception. Although at first I put on weight, and have a fairly constant period. I have now had it in for about 1 year + and the periods have settled down. But i have noticed that I feel slighty, or sometimes very depressed before my period. This is not something I suffered with before, at least not to the same extent. It took me a while to realise that it could be the implant causing this, and now that i have I really just want it taken out. Has anyone else had a similar experience?"

elleelle1790 August 19, 2016

"I had this for 4 months and gained 20lbs no matter what I've done I haven't been able to lose the weight. Getting this birth control was the worst mistake of my life. Every birth control I've ever had and if I've gained weight it always went back down its been 5 months and I haven't lost a lb. I got it removed immediately. I wouldn't recommend this to people I know."

Lina1630 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

"All was well for the first year and half. Then, it seems, my hormones got way out of wack due to the synthetic hormones being released by the implanon. I now have excess androgens and not enough progesterone. I gained 20 lbs (on a naturally thin, 5'4" frame) and, even worse, cystic acne (on formerly clear, normal skin)! I had implanon in for a total of 26 months. I've recently made the switch to a copper IUD and my hormones have not yet balanced out. I'm giving this a 4/10 because I didn't get pregnant and I didn't have side effects for the first year or so."

Z Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2016

"Its August 2016, I've had this bastard of a thing in since March 2015 and I'm finally getting it out in two days. Worst part is the weight gain and period. I am the lucky 50% who's period still exists heavier and longer and not only that...I have gained 25kgs in the last five months. Six months ago I was diagnosed with Graves disease which explains why I had lost 30kgs from Dec2014 to Feb 2016 when i noticed symptoms. In saying that if I didn't have the bar, I would of lost more and five months on GP and specialist both agree that I'm experiencing the side effect of weight gain as my thyroid levels are still high so I shouldn't be gaining. Goodbye nothing for good Implanon! U suck!!!!!!!"

Fatness (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

"I received the implant around March 2016. The first few months my periods lasted 10 or more days. Each period was between light to moderate flow. After about 4 months it began to even out to 6 days each period. Before the implant I have had cramps and sever back pain with each delightful time of the month, before I had no problems with my cycle but now it is unpredictable. The implant hasn't improved the cramps and back pain but overall the effects of the implant is better than being pregnant. I am sexually active with one partner and with the implant I don't have to worry about getting pregnant."

VickyMz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

"I have had a terrible experience. I got this birth control a month after I had my daughter and nothing but constant pain. My periods are worse and I'm a grouch. I have gained weight and overall I hate this product. Headaches are way worse too. The reason you don't get pregnant is because your always bleeding ."

Jessmcc (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

"This is my 2nd implanon, which i had inserted within 6 weeks of removing the 1st. My period completely stopped and I didnt experience any other side effects (other than my weight fluctuating by 5kg) whilst i had the first one in but this time was the complete opposite! I started getting my period every second week (which is much darker and potent) and now I am just constantly bleeding.. small amounts but CONSTANT small amounts... i feel like a leaking faucet... and i always have cramps and intense cravings... I originally started the inplanon so I could have spontaneous sex with my partner and not worry about getting pregnant but now I can't even have pre-planned sex!!!! I can not wait to have it removed."

Unsatisfied. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

"I've had mine since March 2016. The worst part was the itchiness it itched so terribly when I first got it i would scratch at night and now have a scar. I do like it though I haven't noticed any major mood swings and I've actually lost weight not gained however there is spotting every once in a while but so much better then periods"

Mbmbmb August 13, 2016

"I have had implanon for just over a year. Although its a great BC, I have had no weight gain or mood swings which I like but I do not stop bleeding it's so irregular I still have no pattern I am currently stuck in a 2 week period and starting to get bad cramping. When I first got it I had a 3 week period it seemed to be fine and then it's just changed again also my skin has turned into a teen in puberty :("

Thatgalthing (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

"i have had it for 9 months. first month i had very light irregular bleeding. dr had me take estrogen for a month and no period since then. other than it gets sore sometimes where implanon is at if i use that arm alot i have had no issues. i love it"

lbwiley August 12, 2016

"I have hated every second of it more than any other form of contraception (which includes a bad experience with a coil) I have gained weight, I am hormonal and emotional most of the time and I have severe headaches. Like the worst pms for the last seven weeks and I booked to have it out after five weeks because it was that bad and had to wait three weeks for an appointment. It's coming out next week and I can't wait. Nor can my partner as he hates how it's affecting my mood and my self confidence due to the weight gain. Also I train in the gym every day and I feel it stabbing into my skin with every session - like it's going to piece through my skin. Hate hate hate it. Back to the coil next. Can not recommend anything less than this!!"

May4 August 11, 2016

"My experience has been somewhat mixed. I have been using Implanon now for nearly 14 months and have decided to get it removed because I bleed every day, all day. I would occasionally stain my underwear and my sheets. It didn't start out that way, for the first month I didn't bleed at all, then I had an epic two week period, then everything was irregular, which has basically been my new norm, sadly. I decided to get rid of the Implanon because of the endless bleeding. I should mention that the bleeding was usually pretty light, a bit more than spotting but not quite a period either. Other than the endless bleeding, I've been pretty side effect free, except for minor acne. I didn't get pregnant on it, so yeah! But...blood, a lot of blood."

Roaming Rachel (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2016

"I was put on implanon a month ago and I was told that there might be some weight gain (like 5 pounds) or a chance of depression and irregular period for a while. Let me tell you something. They're spot on with weight gain, personality changes, and irregular period. I usually have a heavy flow without cramps. Now, I can't move without feeling like I have ebola. I'm bleeding profusely. And worst of all, the blood smells 20x worse than usual. I've gained 10 pounds, bled constantly, and my emotions are going haywire. If anyone says you won't have a period, they're right. Your vagina literally turns into a scene from Sweeney Todd. Feels like it too."

Musical Theatre Trooper (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I chose the implanon after 5 years of being on the deposit injection (I began having the most awful mood swing after 3 years or so on it). I chose the implanon as I wanted to try a different method of contraception. The first 6 months have been brilliant however in the last couple of months I have had such horrendous acne. I've never had spots and I've recently been getting hard boils/lumps on my face that take about 4-5 days to go! Gross I know. I've had awful fluid retention around my pubis and belly which goes after a week or so. Periods are hit and miss.. Last month was so light yet this month I've been bleeding over a week using super plus tampons! Mood swings have been an issue too. I need a non hormonal methods.. copper iud next!"

Alex2737 August 2, 2016