User Reviews for Implanon

Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"I have had the implant since September 2016 and whilst I acknowledge that it is one of, if not the most reliable methods of contraception, I am shocked at the changes it has imposed on my body. Since insertion, I have gained 2 stone with no changes in my diet or exercise and my mental health has been particularly bad. It goes without saying that everyone's body responds differently to contraceptives, but this has not worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

"I had the implanon put in on July 19th 2015. I have had the implanon in for 5 months and 23 days. I had it taken out two days ago after noticing my periods getting heavier. I have had a period everyday I have been on the implanon and bad mood swings. No weight gain though which is good. I would not recommend this to anyone."

AshC29 January 12, 2017

"I got the implanon when I was 18. At first I had no bleeding. Few months later I had regular periods and terrible mood swings. I have no idea how my boyfriend at the time put up with it. I then started to have long and heavier periods lasting about two weeks. My normal period is 4 days. But after that I wouldn't have a period for months. Then the heavy bleeding. Now I'm just spotting. Had a nasty discharge with this. Freaked me all the way out. Still have this problem and it's due to come out in the fall. Over all. Very effective."

17 year old (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2017

"When I first started using contraception, I was put on the pill and it really messed with my emotions, plus I'd end up forgetting to take it every day, so I tried Implanon. During the first year of insertion, it did cause my periods to become heavier, longer and less predictable. However, after a few months, they lessened to the point where I no longer had a period anymore (huge bonus). Anyway, I'd highly recommend implanon as a form of contraception and will continue to use it myself. Hope this helps!"

Fishrrr (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017

"I have had a great experience with this birth control compared to other alternatives, including progesteron and estrogen only BC pills. Insertion was painless, and left no scar. I did begin bleeding 2 weeks after and was pretty much constantly bleeding for about 4 months, but it gradually began to taper off, and now I am experiencing more frequent periods but with less volume. There are many complaints about this side effect which initially turned me off, but this is a natural reaction that requires some patience. I would take a little blood compared to migraines, risk of blood clots, hormonal imbalances, or an unplanned pregnancy, which are more common with other BC options. I have also experienced decreased anxiety and more regular moods."

Ali_P1989 January 4, 2017

"It was great until I had 12 weeks of nonstop heavy bleeding and then went 4-5 weeks of no period which was awesome but now my period has come back with vengeance I don't think I've gained weight just really bloated my sex drive is gone and I'm more agitated at things easily but I've heard implanon (when you take it out) can cause you not to be able to have a baby ever again.... not sure if this is true but a friend of mine took hers out got pregnant twice and lost both babies at 23 weeks this scares me because I plan on exspanding my family I only have one child can anyone make me feel better on this? But it's done it's job I have am not / have not been pregnant sense I put this in my arm"

97shay16 December 28, 2016

"I've had this BC for almost 2 years! And need less to say I've been on my period ever since I got it. If it's not a heavy flow, it's spotting. I either have to wear tampons or panty liners everyday! Planning on getting it removed asap!"

Jo2147 December 28, 2016

"I've been on the implant for a year now. When I got the implant inserted my period came on immediately it's lasted for a couple of weeks. I started off weighing 100lbs I'm now 125lbs. Never in my 25years of life with two kids never weigh that much. I do have break out from time time but it's controllable.. I just have this big appetite to where I eat and eat and never get full. My sex drive has not changed it seems like it even got better.. But I've been on every Bc and this one fits me I must say.."

Ty2 December 27, 2016

"I had Implanon put in nearly two months ago; was period free for two weeks then have been bleeding ever since. I was told to expect unpredictable and irregular bleeding but it's been the opposite; just constant and annoying. My sex drive is fine but as a single person it makes it rather difficult to meet people when you're literally bleeding all the time! Went back to the doctors who has prescribed me Levelin on top to level out the bleeding, which sort of defeated the purpose of getting the Implanon in the first place so I wouldn't have to take the pill. The reason I've given it 3 stars is that despite the cost for pads, tampons and additional medications it's far less than that of having a baby, which it has been effective in preventing!"

LJD97 December 23, 2016

"Hi guys, I got this implant in Feb 2015, 2 months after my boy was born, and I'm planning to take it out again ASAP. As soon as I put it in I had a migraine lasted 3 days then it subsided. My joints ache, my energy levels are so low, I can't concentrate on more than 1 task at a time and no matter how I adjust my diet the weight keeps piling on. I started at 85kg I'm now 115kg. Oh yes and the mood...I'm not interested in anything. I feel low all the time. I lost my zest for life. My bf keeps telling me he misses me and I never understood until now. I bite his head off more and more its like when I was pregnant, I couldn't stand him even tho he's been an Angel from day 1."

Venushka123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

"Welp! 5 years later and I didnt get pregnant so thats an A+ but the largest side effect has been my plummeted sex drive. About 6 months after having it implanted, the idea of sex was so....bleh. My poor husband has really taken a blow to his ego in the last few years. Our sex life has certaintly taken a hit. So much so that he has been researching vasectomies now that I need a new BC implanted. Other than that, it worked out."

Gwen111154586 December 20, 2016

"I got implanon February of 2015. Also I am 4"11 100lbs when I got it so I was fairly tiny before. But the day I got it in my arm I had bruising for a whole month. Didn't get a period still haven't. My moods vary from super bitch to quiet and tired. I eat ALL the time but can't gain any weight. In fact I've lost 10 lbs since being on it and I hate it. This thing has made me moody. Have dry skin. I have lost weight and hair. Besides not getting pregnant it's doing its job."

Brye December 18, 2016

"I have had the Implanon now for 3 months and can safely say it's great, no periods and no more migraines as the microginon pill was giving me hellish headaches!... As for putting on weight, people need to realise the small piece of plastic can not and does not produce fat cells. In order to gain weight you need to EAT the food. All that being said it does play havoc with hormones and I completely agree that cravings differ, making you have that same PMS feeling you may get around the time of the month, but as for the people who say there eating habits haven't changed and they have gained weight simply isn't true. Plastic doesn't reproduce fat cells ladies So don't be fooled! That's coming from a dietician!!"

Ald21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

"I got my Implanon inserted in June 2016, it was not a big deal as my doctor was skillful. Afterward, it looked like a rather large bruise for ten or so days, but healed neat. It stayed sore for some weeks. I had a hellish first 4 mths adjusting: heavier, super-long periods followed by incessant spotting. Hair thinning & loss while body hair increased, acne, too much weight loss and feeling frequently moody, panicking or nauseous. Sex drive disappeared. Fed up and miserable, I saw my doc and was advised to wait another few mths to see if it settled. It did. My periods have stopped now, and skin and hair are much better (though not completely the same as before). So relieved it's better and that I gave it a bit more time."

Microbat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

"I got in inserted in the middle of March 2016 & got it taken out November 2016. I didn't get periods at first , and if I did they were very light , then 4 months later I got the worst periods I've ever had, usually before the birth control I could help my back pain & cramps with IB, IB didn't even help AT ALL when I got on birth control. May is when I realized I started gaining a lot of weight. My eating habits didn't change , neither did me working out. I kept gaining & gaining. By the time I got it taken out I weighed 135 pounds . I weighed 118 before I got it in! I also got super depressed & anxious and no one believed the birth control was doing it. Seriously I felt 100 times better when I got it out! & I already lost 7 pounds having it out"

Erica.6 December 12, 2016

"Had the implanon for 5 months What I experienced was bleeding every day and that I had to wear a tampon everyday for 5 months. I didn't even know when I had my period because it was like I had my period everyday. Makes your face break out, weight gain, and my sex drive disappeared. If I would have read these reviews I never would have got it. The removal procedure was also extremely painful I would not recommend anyone taking this as there are much better ways It is not worth it at all"

angry1737894905 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

"I've had the rod 18 months now. In this time I've gained weight a developed anxiety that bad I no longer have social life. I am in pain constantly ie back tummy headache I'm exhausted everyday. I don't even feel like a human. Also sore breasts irregular periods and insomnia. Joint pain the lot. Severe mood swings almost bipolar type. Seriously affected me also pain where it was. I personally Wouldn't recommend took over my whole life"

Danyam14 November 28, 2016

"I have had the implanon since June 2015 and I have to say it I hadno pregnancy but the only down sides about it was that no one told me I would have bruising for 10 days on my left arm and that it would hurt so much during that time. My periods have always been regular, each month 3-5 days. But the other down side is the gaining weight. I always weight around 140 and I went up to almost 180. Never had happened and I have been trying to lose weight but nothing seems to work. It's a great birth control but the weight is no good."

Alllleee (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

"I've had the implanon for just over a year now and I've never felt so low in my life. I suffer from mental issues and I feel as this has made it worse. It is good for preventing pregnancy but the side affects are too scary. I've had multiple pregnancy symptoms which keep scaring me. I also gain weight, no motivation to do anything and really bad mood swings which affect others around me so I think it's time to take this thing out and see a bigger difference!"

Implanonisnotgood November 27, 2016

"I have had this birth control since april of 2012; having it changed last year. I have my own bouts of anxiety and depression so that may contribute to some of my issues. But I can say that; I have gained a lot of weight since being on this birth control; even when I was walking 10 miles a day and barely eating I only lost like 15 pounds at most; I started off at 155 with this implant after having my son. Once I started being more active I made it to 140; Now, after just 4 months of not walking 10 miles a day but still being active I am up to 171 lbs. It's ridiculous. I plan on having the copper IUD inserted soon. I also have trouble with breaking out a lot, mood swings, and a non-existent sex drive."

BrittClay (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 25, 2016

"I have had the implanon for over 4 years now with in the 1st years I gain over 59 pound. I feel as if this birth control caused me to go blind in my left eye after two years on it I notice that u couldn't see out my left I so I went to eye doctor she sent me to an specialist they told me I had fluid on the brain I was put in the hospital for 2 day to get in spinal tab... then to found out that I 100 percent loss my vision in my left eye. It was something end tumor I forgot the name.. I never had a problem until this birth control I notice one I had got it I had a lot of head aches.. my ears sound like I had water are something on them... to lost my vision tho... I hate I ever made this decision.. I'm looking for an lawyer...Now"

Louise oates November 22, 2016

"I have had the implanon 3 times now. 2 out of 3 were fantastic and got no periods. The other time i didnt stop bleeding but they gave me some tablets to stop it. I gained a little weight but nothing dramatic. Bonus is i never got pregnant :). Got the last one out three months ago and went back on the pill but it put me in so much pain so im getting the 4th implanon back in tomorrow. It works great for me but everyone is different."

Shay1993 November 21, 2016

"I've been on this implant for about a year I absolutely hate it I weighed 120 after having my baby I was so small my doctor told me I would only gain about 5 pounds, I am now at 199 I've tried losing weight that doesn't work my acne is out of this world I barely get a period and when I do it last for like a day and a half! This implant is causing my body so many problems I have headaches all the time , My breast hurt , My back hurts , And it's so difficult trying to lose weight on this it makes me eat unusual I eat all day .. It keeps you baby free and I don't want to get it removed but it comes with so many side effects that your doctor doesn't really tell you about!"

ShayC (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2016

"I got this implant a few days after my period, Oct. 7 .. then 2 weeks into having the implant, I got my period again. So I had 2 periods within a 2 week span. The period with the implant, lasted almost 2 weeks. It went away about a week ago, but I now have the feeling like I'm going to get my period again. Ladies, you know the feeling you get in your lower stomach when that time of the month is coming. But I don't understand; like am I going to keep getting my period every 2 weeks???? Nobody wants to deal with that. Another side effect I got is an increase in my appetite. I eat ALL day long. Needless to say, if I get my period again within the next week or so, I'm going to make an appointment to have this removed."

DiamondShai November 7, 2016

"Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors, i am extremely exhausted. I've had implanon twice, 6 years in a row. Both times I had it put in I was in mild discomfort for a few days. the mood swings went away in a couple months. By the six month or so my pieriods regulated itself (and got a lot lighter!). never really had a problem with gaining weight or acne. I'm getting it again for another time,all in all i love this thing. keep me baby-free please!"

CupcakesKillingKittens (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 4, 2016