User Reviews for Implanon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Implanon.

Implanon Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Implanon to treat Birth Control

"A few months after getting it implanted I noticed that my mood had gone down, I began to have mood swings, major anxiety and daily nausea. Having NEVER had depression before I was baffled. After talking with my doctor who told me Implanon wasn't the problem, I tried to move on and deal with my depression. After a few more months (and more research) I was convinced that this deep hole I was in had to be at least somewhat caused by this thing in my arm. I had my device removed less than a year after putting it in and within a few months all my symptoms started improving. It took me a long time after that however to get back to 100% as my deep depression had caused me to drop out of school and have a serious change of how I viewed life."

KatherineJ December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First month I didn’t get my period second month there has been NON STOP bleeding. I can't stand it and on top of that the headache are almost unbearable. I am constantly tired and don't have any energy! Looking to get it removed soon.!"

NC99 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on implanon 9 years. It does not effect my sex drive and I haven't had a period in 5 years except when the three year mark is up and it needs to be replaced. Great product!"

Anonymous December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first time I had the implanon every day for 4 month I have bleed. I was a horrible experience. After that, I had it taken out. This is when I ended up pregnant with my son. After he was born I got on to the implanon again. This time I had my period every 4 months. Slowly over time is disappeared. When the term of the implanon was up I had it removed. My period has been back normal, but I have been trying to get pregnant for the last three years.I don't know if its the implanon that has effected my chance of pregnancy."

AL Bk November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi I got the implanon 4 weeks ago and I got my period in the 3rd week. My period was really light and very very minimal cramping"

B3bzy November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Caused me to bleed for 2 weeks a month. When first inserted, I was an emotional wreck for the first few weeks... Mood changes, no drive. Will have this removed"

christineaaaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi everyone, my name is Emma . I would just like to tell people my story of having the Implanon and the side effects I have experienced during this time. I got my first implant 7 years ago. My experiences with the implant have been awful! And this is the reason I would like to give people an idea of what it can do to your body to hopefully help people deciding whether the implant is for them or if people are experiencing symptoms like the ones I had, then it is most likely due to the implant and the doctors really don't have a clue, as I was told by my GP on several occasions "no it will not be the implant that is causing this, when in reality I knew it was" and when I had it removed it confirmed that I was right. So here is my story.. With the implant I gained so much weight which I have been unable to loose. I bled heavily during sex and when I say heavily I mean it went everywhere!! And this was on every occasion during intercourse and when I explained to my GP, in her head there was no way it was the implant! And this was when I was not bleeding, which wasn't very often.. this really does affect your life, your sex life, and your relationships. I bled almost all the time without a break, which makes you feel so uncomfortable and self conscious. I never had clean knickers!! I know, not nice. My hormones have been everywhere since I I got the implant also depression, anxiety etc. Pain during Intercourse was a big issue while on the implant. I had so much pain that sometimes I could not have sex with my partner. Sometimes I would not lubricate myself which was also another symptom. Gp did not help with this either, apart from offer me lubricant!! If I was not bleeding, I had dark browny discharge. Until having the implant removed I cannot remember the last time I wore white knickers. There are so much more but these are the main symptoms I have experienced more recently. I had my implant removed on the 6/11/17 and when having it removed I was intimidated by the nurse who was removing it, she was very rude!! Anyway.. I stopped bleeding straight away. I started my period on the 10/11/17. Which lasted 4-5 days. I have never bled since, not even a spot!! Me and my partner can finally enjoy intercourse without the worry about me bleeding, or being sore. I can even wear WHITE knickers now and they stay WHITE!!!! ITS AMAZING!! I have never felt so happy! I was starting to doubt my body while on the implant. I thought, my body isn't normal, there's something wrong with me, at one point I thought I had cervical cancer due the the bleeding during sex. My whole life has changed since having the implant removed, I feel so much better and back to normal, whatever normal is.. I really hope that by sharing my experience, if I can even help one person I will be happy☺️. Thank you for reading and if anyone would like to write to me in regards to this feel free to do so. Thank you."

Emma020896 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm using it since August 2016. First few months no period. Then on off spotting. Starting September 2017 having daily spotting for a month. Gap 2 days, then another a month period/bleeding. Gap 2 days then period again...till now November 2017. Add on menstrual cramp. I refused to consume any extra medication through my body. This is overwhelmed enough."

MonMon12345 November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had implanon put in February 2016 and it's now November 2017. The first month on it my period was pretty normal. After that it was non stop spotting for a while. Then it stopped a little after a year of having, but shortly after that my periods have been going on every single day and they are even heavier now! My period has gotten so heavy and painful and it never stops. I'm losing my mind because of this birth control and I honestly can't wait to get it taken out."

Damndanielle November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had implanon inserted a few months ago due to frustrations with the birth control pill and breakthrough bleeding. After reading many experience online the insertion experience and what side effect I may experience seemed daunting - however, I can confirm that the insertion process was only the discomfort of a needle to numb the area and then a feeling of pressure and it was all over. The area felt uncomfortable for about a week and now I hardly notice it at all. The biggest thing for me is that after 3 months I am yet to have a period or any break through bleeding. My experience so far is a positive one with no major side effects to note. I am grateful for no longer having to remember to take a pill everyday."

Lojay November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had this implant for 2 yrs now the thing I noticed about my self was that I gained a lot of weight and I would have the worst depression phases. I have acne and I'm always tired some days. I feel so dizzy or nervous and my period has been going on for months. I also have no sex drive at all. It's a mess hoping to get this thing taken out soon."

Anonymous November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had my implant in for nearly two years. Every month that I've been on this I've had a period every two weeks, am highly emotionally unstable, and now if this thing couldn't do it's job any worse, I'm PREGNANT. So no, I'm giving it a 2 since 2 years was about how long it lasted. Not worth it."

OneOfTheFew (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first was fine no problems at all. My second implant well day to day headaches, feeling low and put on 2 stone in 9 months. No energy, bleeding every 2 weeks was not what I wanted. I'd rather have my tubes tied... please be aware not all implants are the same. You may have a good 3 years but the next one could be horrible"

Be27 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 37 years old, in 2006 my partner start using that diabolic poison, and now we are not having sex for years, she is screaming at me all the time, sometimes she start to punch my head and face and now thanks to implanon, that amazing girl I used to know is gone, my son is 12 years old and no brothers, this destroyed our lives. i can't leave her because I can't leave my son, and I am stuck in this nightmare, with a woman that simple doesn't want sex, before that implant we use to have a great sex life "

My life destroyd (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’m coming close to the end of my birth control. 4 months left & I would get it again. Me and my mom both tried it. She was either always on her period or spotting & she developed alopecia. But for me in year one I didn’t have my period for months. Year 2 my period came every 2 week then off two mths plus weight gain. Year 3 normal period & weight loss. I’ve experienced some depression & mood swing throughout But overall I love it even with the side effects. It’s expected to have side effects. These bc are producing fake estrogen hormones to keep us from getting pregnant"

Londonfranceee (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got the arm implant on March 2017 and it's been nothing but a nightmare. I have gained so much weight, I started to retain water and I have been spotting for the last month My sex drive is usually insane but with the birth control I lost the my sex drive my skin took a tow. I don't recommend this birth control"

Ladytaz0411 October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the implant in for a year and a half gained over 2 stone and my arm I had the rod inserted was always numb and tingly feeling. I always felt bloated and swollen, puffy looking all over. I hated it - the only good thing was it protected me from falling pregnant. It just wasn't for me. Everyone is different. It just took me long enough to get it removed and I instantly felt better. Now I have no hungry cravings ad on it I was hungry all the time and never satisfied. I could eat all day got really out of hand "

bells0309 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had an implanon put in when I was 17. I am now 26 and every 3 years I have had a new one placed in. Each experience has been different. First time - had my period everyday for 6 months but it was more the ending of a period. I assume my body was adjusting. Second time - my periods come in all over the place. I would get it for 2 days and then not have it for 4months and then come again for 1 day. My present implanon - this was has been so different. I didn't get one period for about 2 years and now I have been getting it nearly every 2 weeks for a couple of days. I get so nervous as I don't know why it's doing it. Downside, about 4 years ago I lost my sex drive and find it really hard to get motivated. Does anyone know tips to help!!"

KA77Y September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This birth control has been HELL for me. I've been on the shot and I had to stop after 2 years because it drove me crazy and I started having bone issues. So I decided to get on implanon after my daughter. I thought things was going okay but It is not and I really need this thing out of me ASAP. Since having this thing in my arm. I've had non stop spotting and periods all month, no energy, mood swings, depression, dizziness on a daily and I've been having tingling in my arm and legs but especially in the arm that the implant is in. I've also experienced weight gain and sharp pains where the implant is inserted. I touch and feel it on a daily and it is still in the spot the doctor put it in. I think I'll just go WITHOUT birth control."

This implant was HELL September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!! I have had this impant in for little over a year and it's been nothing but a drag for me. It is supposed to stop periods all together but that was most definitely NOT the case for me. When I first got it inserted, it was fine and I thought it was working. I thought maybe I got lucky. But no..... one day I woke up and BAM there it was. It lasted for SIX STRAIGHT MONTHS. Then it quit for about a month with a little spotting in between. Now I am at the point to where I have to keep a tampon in all the time because I will have it for about 2 days and then be off for 2 days. It's very unexpected and aggravating. Sure is a good birth control alright. You'll be bleeding/cramping so bad you won't even want to have sex."

Leighannne September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My arm was bruised after getting the implant for about a week, my period came whenever it wanted and stayed for up to 14 days at a time. After about 6 months my period had completely gone away. I had horrible hormonal changes and mood changes, I gained almost 50 pounds very quickly after getting the implant inserted. This birth control is UP TO 3 years, after two and a half years I got pregnant. I knew it had worn off because I lost weight and felt more like myself. After finding out I was pregnant I made an appointment to get the implant removed so I could have a normal pregnancy. But I ended up having a miscarriage from the implant before I could get it removed. A big weight was lifted off my shoulders after getting it removed"

Kate91212 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my implant for 3 years. The good points; Hardly no periods - no pain Bad points; My skin was a little bad but not terrible. Gained weight by nearly 2 stone Felt lazy and no motivation. Terrible mood swings No sex drive I stayed on the implant as it was the easiest option for protection. I have just had the implant taken out and can't wait to feel back to the norm."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the implanon inserted in March 2017 and at first I hated it and wanted it out straight away within the first 2 months. My sex drive was fine. My mental state was fine too (I have suffered with severe depression before so was worried it would effect this but it didn't thankfully or hasn't so far!). I had just gotten into a relationship and the implanon made my skin go real bad. My face was in so much pain it really got me down as I just felt so ugly and fed up. So I went back to my doctor for advice and she put me on the pill for 3 months alongside the implanon. This worked a treat! My skin cleared up (sudocrem also helped a lot) so after 3 months I came back off the pill and things seem to be fine now. Give it a chance :)"

Ces93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had this inserted in January this year. I am getting it taken out because I cannot handle it any longer. I have been bleeding for months on end, with like a 2-3 day window of normality. It was really the only birth control I could take so I really tried to stick it out, because they say after 6-8 months it should settle. It hasn't. I really hope this works for some people but it has made my life so difficult. Mood swings, anger, irritability is through the roof. Good luck, I hope you don't have the same experience."

Ellie2345678 September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my first Implanon at age 25 after the pill (many versions of it) failed me miserably for years in terms of side effects. I opted for Implanon because the hormones/chemicals are so different from the pill, so I was hoping for at least different side effects. Honestly I'm very happy with the Implanon and I've had it for 5 years now. It's done its job of preventing pregnancy perfectly. As for side effects - there are side effects to ALL medication containing hormones, there are simply no exceptions, your hormone levels influence your moods, weight, appearance, everything. There's no way around side effects. I've had long periods and a bit of weight gain, that's it. I can deal with that better than with a baby so hey, I win."

Morgaineeeee September 15, 2017