User Reviews for Implanon (Page 2)

Learn more about Implanon.

Birth Control 1436 reviews 285 medications

6.3
Summary of Implanon reviews 1436 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Implanon

For Birth Control "I had this for 4 months and gained 20lbs no matter what I've done I haven't been able to lose the weight. Getting this birth control was the worst mistake of my life. Every birth control I've ever had and if I've gained weight it always went back down its been 5 months and I haven't lost a lb. I got it removed immediately. I wouldn't recommend this to people I know."

Lina1630 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

For Birth Control "All was well for the first year and half. Then, it seems, my hormones got way out of wack due to the synthetic hormones being released by the implanon. I now have excess androgens and not enough progesterone. I gained 20 lbs (on a naturally thin, 5'4" frame) and, even worse, cystic acne (on formerly clear, normal skin)! I had implanon in for a total of 26 months. I've recently made the switch to a copper IUD and my hormones have not yet balanced out. I'm giving this a 4/10 because I didn't get pregnant and I didn't have side effects for the first year or so."

Z Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Its August 2016, I've had this bastard of a thing in since March 2015 and I'm finally getting it out in two days. Worst part is the weight gain and period. I am the lucky 50% who's period still exists heavier and longer and not only that...I have gained 25kgs in the last five months. Six months ago I was diagnosed with Graves disease which explains why I had lost 30kgs from Dec2014 to Feb 2016 when i noticed symptoms. In saying that if I didn't have the bar, I would of lost more and five months on GP and specialist both agree that I'm experiencing the side effect of weight gain as my thyroid levels are still high so I shouldn't be gaining. Goodbye nothing for good Implanon! U suck!!!!!!!"

Fatness (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I received the implant around March 2016. The first few months my periods lasted 10 or more days. Each period was between light to moderate flow. After about 4 months it began to even out to 6 days each period. Before the implant I have had cramps and sever back pain with each delightful time of the month, before I had no problems with my cycle but now it is unpredictable. The implant hasn't improved the cramps and back pain but overall the effects of the implant is better than being pregnant. I am sexually active with one partner and with the implant I don't have to worry about getting pregnant."

VickyMz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had a terrible experience. I got this birth control a month after I had my daughter and nothing but constant pain. My periods are worse and I'm a grouch. I have gained weight and overall I hate this product. Headaches are way worse too. The reason you don't get pregnant is because your always bleeding ."

Jessmcc (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

For Birth Control "This is my 2nd implanon, which i had inserted within 6 weeks of removing the 1st. My period completely stopped and I didnt experience any other side effects (other than my weight fluctuating by 5kg) whilst i had the first one in but this time was the complete opposite! I started getting my period every second week (which is much darker and potent) and now I am just constantly bleeding.. small amounts but CONSTANT small amounts... i feel like a leaking faucet... and i always have cramps and intense cravings... I originally started the inplanon so I could have spontaneous sex with my partner and not worry about getting pregnant but now I can't even have pre-planned sex!!!! I can not wait to have it removed."

Unsatisfied. (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had mine since March 2016. The worst part was the itchiness it itched so terribly when I first got it i would scratch at night and now have a scar. I do like it though I haven't noticed any major mood swings and I've actually lost weight not gained however there is spotting every once in a while but so much better then periods"

Mbmbmb August 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had implanon for just over a year. Although its a great BC, I have had no weight gain or mood swings which I like but I do not stop bleeding it's so irregular I still have no pattern I am currently stuck in a 2 week period and starting to get bad cramping. When I first got it I had a 3 week period it seemed to be fine and then it's just changed again also my skin has turned into a teen in puberty :("

Thatgalthing (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2016

For Birth Control "i have had it for 9 months. first month i had very light irregular bleeding. dr had me take estrogen for a month and no period since then. other than it gets sore sometimes where implanon is at if i use that arm alot i have had no issues. i love it"

lbwiley August 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I have hated every second of it more than any other form of contraception (which includes a bad experience with a coil) I have gained weight, I am hormonal and emotional most of the time and I have severe headaches. Like the worst pms for the last seven weeks and I booked to have it out after five weeks because it was that bad and had to wait three weeks for an appointment. It's coming out next week and I can't wait. Nor can my partner as he hates how it's affecting my mood and my self confidence due to the weight gain. Also I train in the gym every day and I feel it stabbing into my skin with every session - like it's going to piece through my skin. Hate hate hate it. Back to the coil next. Can not recommend anything less than this!!"

May4 August 11, 2016

For Birth Control "My experience has been somewhat mixed. I have been using Implanon now for nearly 14 months and have decided to get it removed because I bleed every day, all day. I would occasionally stain my underwear and my sheets. It didn't start out that way, for the first month I didn't bleed at all, then I had an epic two week period, then everything was irregular, which has basically been my new norm, sadly. I decided to get rid of the Implanon because of the endless bleeding. I should mention that the bleeding was usually pretty light, a bit more than spotting but not quite a period either. Other than the endless bleeding, I've been pretty side effect free, except for minor acne. I didn't get pregnant on it, so yeah! But...blood, a lot of blood."

Roaming Rachel (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I was put on implanon a month ago and I was told that there might be some weight gain (like 5 pounds) or a chance of depression and irregular period for a while. Let me tell you something. They're spot on with weight gain, personality changes, and irregular period. I usually have a heavy flow without cramps. Now, I can't move without feeling like I have ebola. I'm bleeding profusely. And worst of all, the blood smells 20x worse than usual. I've gained 10 pounds, bled constantly, and my emotions are going haywire. If anyone says you won't have a period, they're right. Your vagina literally turns into a scene from Sweeney Todd. Feels like it too."

Musical Theatre Trooper (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I chose the implanon after 5 years of being on the deposit injection (I began having the most awful mood swing after 3 years or so on it). I chose the implanon as I wanted to try a different method of contraception. The first 6 months have been brilliant however in the last couple of months I have had such horrendous acne. I've never had spots and I've recently been getting hard boils/lumps on my face that take about 4-5 days to go! Gross I know. I've had awful fluid retention around my pubis and belly which goes after a week or so. Periods are hit and miss.. Last month was so light yet this month I've been bleeding over a week using super plus tampons! Mood swings have been an issue too. I need a non hormonal methods.. copper iud next!"

Alex2737 August 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Absolutely hate it! I've had it for over 2 years and have bled nearly the whole time it's been it.. No wonder it's like 99.99% effective you're on your period nearly 90% of the time! I plan to get it out soon once I build up the courage to. Zero sex drive and insane mood swings since having it in as well."

Implanon user (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I bled very heavily for a month straight after getting it. It was awful. Now I'm not bleeding at all but I'm gaining weight. I wouldn't recommend it."

Mb19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Bled (mildly) for 5 months straight-finally stopped and now I'm having my first period and just woke up to a soaked bed I've never bled this much. DO NOT USE THIS BIRTH CONTROL"

Nicknamewhocareslolyeesh July 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I used Implanon for 6 year with 2 insertions. It was very effective and I loved not having to worry about birth control for such a long period of time. The only reason I had it removed was because I would have a heavy period for months at a time. I was on my period for more than half the time I had the Implanon. When I had it removed, I noticed my face clear up and I lost a small amount of weight. I have a friend who had Implanon and she had it removed due to complete lack of periods. She couldn't stand being irregular. So Implanon seems to have a big effect on periods."

Skaileee July 30, 2016

For Birth Control "Got it in 22/5/16 bleed constantly! Acne like a teenager Mood swings Tiredness Costing me heap of money for sanitary items Do not recommend"

Implanon kills my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Before getting this I religiously read the reviews and I was terrified. Weight gain, no sec drive, depression were common thing I was reading in every thread. However I have had an amazing experience and I just want to remind everyone that everyone had different reactions, and keep in mind that it's normal for people to post negative reviews but people rarely post positive reviews. I went on this from the Nuva ring. I haven't gotten my period since I've had it in which is great! No weight gain (but I do work out and eat decently), and I haven't had feelings of depression. My sex drive isn't as high as it was without any birth control, but it's definitely higher than it was on the nuvaring."

Laura2234 July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the implant for 2 years now. I was on my period when it was inserted, and I didn't get off of that period for 5 weeks. Other than that, I loved it at first. I did have some mood swings, but I thought it was just normal considering the extra hormone in my body. Well, it got worse, and a few months ago I was put on medicine for anxiety. (can't say the implant had anything to do with it, but it is possible) I gained 28 lbs, and have read that it can mess with your thyroid (hence another reason for weight gain, other than retaining fluid). I've had high blood pressure since this was inserted. But, I have not gotten pregnant, so it did its job."

Nkay (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I was writing this wonderful, very wordy review on this when I discovered that I have a word limit. Dang. In a nutshell: I've never had so many problems with a bc. Significant weight gain, headaches, nausea, fatigue/insomnia, no periods for months and then weeks of bleeding. The worst is the change in my mood. DEPRESSION. I couldn't no longer trust my instincts. Everyone noticed a change in my attitude. It may be a convenience to just pop a rod in your arm, but it is NOT WORTH IT. I am telling you, stay away. I cannot wait to have mine removed."

CassondraB July 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello! I had gotten the original implanon July of 2011 and went to get it taken out 3 years later and no one could find it. Multiple blood test, MRIs, Xrays and Ultra sounds have been done to no avail. All the doctors are at a lost. Im at lost just thinking I cant have children. Its now been 5 years and still no answers. Thinking back I have noticed weight ain and migranes but I just thought it was something else. I have less then 5 periods during this wholes experience. Has anyone been lost, what was your outcome? I dont know what to do anymore."

TracyW92 July 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had it since April 2015. I decided to have it removed. While using this birth control, I have gone from 180 to 220 (even with exercise). I have found myself to become depressed and started using Wellbutrin (150mg). Originally, I did not want to have the the BC removed, however, the bad outweighed the good (health-wise). I have used the IUD (constant yeast infections), the depo (weight gain). I have not tried the pill because I just wouldn't remember to take it, so I have decided to get my tubes tied. This option is not for everyone, but I am older, divorced and already have 3 children. Try it, if you see negative signs, have it removed right away don't wait like I did, research and try something else."

Try Try Again July 21, 2016

For Birth Control "My arm was sore for 3-4 months after I got it. Whenever I tried to carry my wallet against my arm it hurt. Anything rubbing/touching my arm hurt for months. I would not recommend this. I just got mine taken out after using it 1 yr & 2 months. This pain will just teach you to suck it up and remember to take your pill each day. Normally I don't get periods on any kind of birth control but with this one I got my period every 2 weeks for about 4 months. With this med you do retain water, so you are going to gain weight and I felt hungry all the time. Just doesn't make sense to get cut, put a hole and your arm for birth control. I have also tried an IUD before this one, no foreign objects should be used in your body. Don't do it."

Reds7 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I got this bar almost exactly a year ago and have gains 20lbs don't get me wrong I love the no periods and all that but if you don't want to gain weight I wouldn't recommend"

Sidneylee July 18, 2016