User Reviews for Sprintec to treat Birth Control

Sprintec has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 974 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 41% of those users who reviewed Sprintec reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Sprintec Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Sprintec

JessieWinky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2021

“Sprintec is OK. It did its job of keeping me pregnancy-free, but it didn't do a great job of keeping my emotions in check. I had some pretty bad mood swings (to be fair it was also summer 2020). The worst part was my periods. On the advice of my doctor, I skipped the placebo pills and everything was OK for three months. Then, I had a 72 day period. The only thing that stopped it was taking the placebo pills and having my normal (very heavy and painful) period. Thinking it was a one-time thing, I went back to skipping the placebo, and lo and behold, it happened again - a 31 day period. After that I switched to another birth control.”

TJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2021

“Sprintec is the first birth control I've ever been on. I have some side effects like cramping, the nausea gets bad, back pain, and breast tenderness. Other than that it works really well for me. Helped with my period coming on time also.”

Acne · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2021

“Sprintec is the best birth control I've ever taken, I've had no side effects and it has cleared my skin beautifully. I have been on the pill since 2010 and never had any of these side effects.”

A December 14, 2020

“I've been taking Sprintec for 3 months now and I have had no issues with it, besides from very mild break outs on my chin. I did notice more clotting during my period and occasionally watery discharge, but nothing problematic, these are just some slight changes I have noticed. I had never been on birth control before and after reading these reviews I was so nervous. I recommend trying it, keep in mind everyone reacts different and people are more likely to write reviews about bad experiences not good, especially with something like this! Hope it works for you too!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

“Hi! So I started sprintec about 6 months ago to help clear up acne and it worked. I was freaking out because I didn’t want to gain weight, but I really wanted to clear up my acne. The first two months were difficult. I was nauseous often (especially at night). I was very hungry the first month but I got back to normal hunger levels after that. I gained some weight, mostly in my boobs. I would definitely say if you are hesitant about going on Sprintec for the weight gain, do not let that hold you back. Your body will normalize after a few weeks I promise. Trust me I did not want to gain weight, I have had an eating disorder in the past, but it is worth it. My skin is so clear now. Do not let the weight gain hold you back!”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

“I don’t understand why there are so many bad reviews on this birth control... I am SUPER sensitive to medication and the only side effect I got from this medication was sweating a lot , increased appetite and my boobs got fuller. Everyone’s body reacts differently so please don’t be afraid to try this medication ! It’s a life saver for me !”

Lynn September 6, 2020

“Okay so I had to put a review for this pill just to offer some relief for other girls. In my experience I had taken this pill before my period and read that you could only be protected if you started EXACTLY on your first day of your period. Yeah it sounded stupid at the time but basically if you take it 5 days in a row you're protected. It was my first time taking birth control and was using it to have sex with my partner. I've had a lot of unprotected sex with my boyfriend so the pill really works but it's very easy to get sloppy or lazy taking the pill which has resulted in 2 pregnancy scares. Now I'm more careful because I'm a uni student and still want my freedom. It very important to really consider having unprotected sex because it can change your life in an instant. The best time to take this pill is in the evening because you'll avoid the nausea while sleeping in my experience. The bloating can get really bad sometimes so that's annoying. As far as boob pain, it's mild.”

Kat · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 2, 2020

“I have been on Sprintec since 2015. I had maybe 5 lbs of weight gain (first semester of college lol so there's that to consider too!) I have never had a single issue with Sprintec. I take it between 9-12 at night and only miss a dose once or twice a year - it happens! This does affect effectiveness (but if taken in 24 hours - that's rare) and it helped me regulate periods, they don't last over 6 days with minimal bleeding. My pharmacy switched and I got on Monolinyah?.. it SUCKS worst mistake ever. I'm switching back to Sprintec tomorrow and I cannot wait . I recommend this to anyone! Don't want a period that month? skip the placebo pills... And this is only $9.00 if you don't have insurance - too expensive? well... so is a kid haha!”

Anonymous July 30, 2010

“I was extremely skeptical about trying Sprintec after reading the numerous online comments about it. However, I was forced to switch to it for financial reasons. However, after several months of using Sprintec, I have not experienced one single negative side effect. In fact, it has improved my periods tremendously! I get no cramps, very little bloating, a very light period that only lasts 2-3 days, and no mood changes. I love it so far! Don't be deterred by the negative reviews out there...each birth control affects each person differently. If you haven't had problems with the pill in the past, then maybe you won't with this one (like me).”

Amanda December 23, 2019

“I've been taking this (Sprintec) for over a year now & have highly considered getting off of it. I've noticed weight loss (15-25 lbs because my weight has always fluctuated), but my rage has been out of control. My boyfriend says I am not myself. It has almost jeopardized us several times. I get uncontrollable mood swings, high anxiety/anxiety attacks, & sometimes I just want to break down and cry for no reason. When I first started taking it, I could not focus at all for my job, & I even struggled completing my sentences. I want to have time off of it just to see it it makes me feel better. Everyone around me always talks about how positive of a person I am, but this stuff has turned me into someone so negative I can't even recognize myself. I was wondering what could be going wrong, but have been researching everyone else's experience I am pretty certain this is the common denominator. I usually don't do reviews, but want anyone experiencing the same side effects to know they're not alone”

Rita June 1, 2020

“I’m 21 years old. I gained 15 pounds in 3 months while on sprintec. My sex drive went way down to the point where I just wouldn’t enjoy sex anymore. I couldn’t naturally get wet anymore so it was painful when we would have sex, so we had to start using lube. Worst thing was that it messed with me mentally, I would have the worst mood swings and I was very depressed and I was very irrational and frustrated. My boyfriend is the one who talked to me and asked what was going on with me and I just completely broke down crying trying to explain that I had no idea what was wrong with me and that I just didn’t feel like my self, he told me it could be my birth control and just then it clicked in my head, like duh, of course it is. So I immediately stopped taking it. This is 2 months later that I’m writing this and I feel %100 better! I’ve lost 10 pounds and I finally feel like myself again!!!”

Reviewer34 January 23, 2020

“Everyone seems to only want to discuss the bad when reviewing different methods of birth control. Overall my experience being on Sprintec for 4 months now has been significantly better than average. The only type of birth control I was on before was Depo and Sprintec has been a dream in comparison. I love this birth control because I have absolutely no unexpected bleeding, significant weight gain or complexion issues on this birth control. Since I started Sprintec my acne-prone problematic skin cleared up in less than a month! No more quarterly trips to the dermatologist now that I am on the pill. Most importantly I don't have to worry about pregnancy. I have not noticed myself being overly emotional or unusually depressed while on any type of birth control. My only complaint is stomach issues for the first 7 days upon starting and craving at the beginning of the cycle. I would definitely recommend this birth control for pregnancy prevention and acne treatment.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

“I have been on Sprintec for about 3 months now. I have gained some weight (maybe 5 lbs) but I feel like that is normal with birth control pills. I don't really have any negative side effects to say besides that. On the bright side though, I went from an A cup to almost a C cup. Can't complain lol”

lol girl · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 5, 2021

“Ok I love this pill. I know a lot of birth controls warn about gaining weight but it was the opposite for me I actually lost weight and my skin has never been clearer since I started. My periods are more regular and not super heavy. I still get my cramps but they aren’t terrible that’s the only real con but everything else is great”

Anonymous April 11, 2021

“First, I’m not writing this to scare people who haven’t taken Sprintec yet, because clearly it does work for some people. I do want to warn those who start taking it and notice emotional changes to stop taking this pill. I felt like I was going crazy on this birth control. I experienced intense sadness, I felt like I didn’t know who I was, and was on the verge of tears all the time. It was awful. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize my birth control was causing this at first. I got a therapist and was mildly depressed for months. One month I was feeling so unmotivated I just stopped taking my birth control for 3 weeks. Eventually I started a new pack and within a few days I noticed that I felt just as horrible as I did when I first started Sprintec. The reviews here helped me realize I wasn’t alone. I contacted my provider immediately and switched to Yaz with side effects so far :) Please, if you relate to this don’t make the mistake I did and switch to another birth control!!!”

AF2016 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

“I started this birth control Sprintec just under two months ago. This is my first one. I have two days left this month and I’m quitting. I have a history of stomach issues and my periods definitely aren’t fun either. I threw up the first night I started Sprintec. I have not been myself since I started it. My stomach hurts and I’m nauseous every day. I have really bad headaches almost every day if not every day. I can’t sleep. My emotions are awful. I feel so depressed and anxious. I struggle to find the motivation to do anything or even live. I wanted my periods to be less painful. Now I look forward to them every month because I feel better when I’m on it than when I take the pill for the other 21 days. I desperately just want to be myself again. I don’t even know who I am anymore. I’m sure this is different for everyone, but I just can’t handle it anymore.”

Catlover June 8, 2020

“I've taken Sprintec for about 4 years now. I studied abroad in France and the pharmacy didn't carry Sprintec so I was switched to a variation of a French brand Tri-Sprintec, which I enjoyed. So, when I came back to the U.S I tried Tri-Sprintec and did not like it. I gained weight, lost hair, and switched to Tri-lo-Sprintec. This one made my periods heavier and made me cramp a lot and also I gained even more weight. After about 6 months I decided to just go back to Sprintec which I had taken for 3 years already with no issues... (I'm not sure why I didn't just do this immediately instead of trying other pills). I've never had any issue with Sprintec. I did notice bloating but I've been taking some supplements that help me with this. I've had no issue with losing weight and have successfully lost the weight I had gained on the other pills by just eating healthier and exercising. Sprintec also helped my hair grow back and cleared my skin. I think Sprintec is a fail-proof bc pill.”

Happy to be alive January 1, 2021

“This medication Sprintec caused me to have several blood clots in both of my lungs. I almost died. I was admitted, had next day surgery and now have a $150,000 hospital bill. I only took 1 pack and was on my second week on the next pack. I doubt have a family history of blood clots. I wouldn't take this if I were you. Especially not African American females.”

Anonymous April 18, 2010

“I have been taking Sprintec for 3 years now. It has worked really well for me. Before this I would get very moody, get menstrual migraines, have really bad cramps, and when I was 18 I started getting nauseous/sick every other month within the first couple of days of my period. Since taking Sprintec I feel my mood has greatly improved, I no longer get sick/nauseous, my cramps have become more than tolerable, and I noticed no increased acne or weight gain. I haven't experienced any of the yeast infection/urinary tract problems with this. However every girl will react differently to different birth controls. If it doesn't work for you, don't worry; just call your doctor and discuss some new options. Eventually you will find something that works for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 19, 2019

“I want to start by saying that I never ever leave reviews, but after reading what a negative effect this pill had on so many women I felt like I had to. I’ve been on Sprintec for a year now and I’ve never experienced any negative side effects, no weight gain/loss, no headaches or nausea, no anxiety or depression or mood swings. It did not make my boobs grow cup sizes (unfortunately) lol and it cleared up my skin. I totally understand that BC is different for everybody, but since I am the minority in this...I just wanted to share my positive experience with it.”

Autumn S. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2020

“I have had a great experience with sprintec actually. I have been using this for about a year and have not felt the side effects I used to feel with other birth control pills. My mood is pretty regulated, I never got sore breasts, my appetite was normal throughout and I have not felt nauseous once. I haven't gotten pregnant either so I will continue use for as long as it's available and working in harmony with my body. 10/10”

Alexis January 27, 2020

“Got on Sprintec in 2018 and it was great for 6 months. My breast got bigger I am a C cup and I went into double D’s. But I got tired of the periods once a month so I went and got an IUD (liletta) my cup size went back to normal had the IUD for 6 months and got it removed because it felt weird not having a period, I just felt off without it. Now I’m back on Sprintec and I’m having the same thing occur with my breasts. I enjoy having the bigger boobs it’s just the soreness on the sides that comes with it. I did feel nausea every single day. Sprintec is a really good birth control, you don’t get pregnant and you’re basically in control of it. Everyone’s body is completely different, so just because you read one review that gives a negative saying shows how it reacted to their bodies. Go talk to your doctor or nurse about it before choosing. It took me about 4 months to decide and do my research before I decided on getting something life long term until I’m ready to have kids.”

first time user · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2014

“So I just finished my first month and was TERRIFIED of this birth control after reading the reviews before I started. And honestly I have had zero side effects other than clearer skin and I've actually lost weight rather than gained weight (not sure if it's totally related to the pill or not) and my breasts have been a little sore but not unbearable so don't think too much about the reviews, and try it before you assume you'll be overly emotional and gain weight, it'll just vary but for me this has been awesome so far!”

kayvee123 September 23, 2014

“I've been on Sprintec for years now. Never had any issues, no pregnancy scares and no side effects. My skin is pretty normal and my weight issues have to do more with me stuffing my face with cookies and ice cream than due to birth control.”

Shannon · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“Do not take Sprintec. I've been on it for two weeks and I'm quitting already. This medicine makes me extremely nauseous and gave me prolonged headaches. On top of that it and made my face break out horribly and I've gained 7 pounds. No, just no. Take a hard pass on this one and try something else.”

Leona · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2020

“I have been on Sprintec for about 3-4 years. Overall, there's definitely pros & cons for me personally. I was young when I started taking it, and it helped so much with cystic acne. It's done what it's supposed to as far as preventing pregnancy. BUT as I've gotten older and the longer I've taken it, I feel like I'm dealing with PMS or even PMDD (a more severe form of PMS) for more than half the month. It's terrible... The mood swings are terrible, weight change, fluid retention, acne (not cystic, but acne and dryness of skin), prone to yeast infections after periods, terrible fatigue, and I feel depressed and angry. All this with caring well for my health and my skin. Keep in mind this is my personal experience up to date!”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

“My DAUGHTER Sabrina passed away July 22 2018 due to her sprintec birthcontrol please please she was only 22 yrs old and my bestfriend my whole world shattered please don't use this product!!!!”

Ken · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2020

“I normally try to avoid sharing my experience with birth control as we all know every woman is different ... but this pill is awful. The first month of taking this pill I experienced severe depression and suicidal thoughts. After the second month the thoughts went away but I was extremely sad. I also spotted for 3 months while taking this pill and experienced cramping Atleast one a week. I am now using Tri- Estarylla and It works very well.”