User Reviews for Mononessa

Mononessa has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 244 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of those users who reviewed Mononessa reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control   6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding   6.0
Ovarian Cysts  Off-label 7.1
Endometriosis   7.3
Summary of Mononessa reviews 6.2 244 reviews

Reviews for Mononessa

Tiffany · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been taking this birth control pill every day for three weeks. It has made my last period last 10 days AND counting. Not even spotting. Blood! Birth control always messes with my body so I’m giving up on it!”

Ema · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Before I switched to Mirena, I took Mononessa shortly after my son was born. I loved this birth control up until a year when I realized my periods would never stop. I already had heavy periods regardless, but it would last only a week. I remember passing as week of menstruation and my period was even heavier and would soak a tampon within an hour. It was terrifying. I consulted my doctor who told me to stop taking my birth control as it was making my body think it was still menstruating. I stopped taking it and the next day my bleeding subsided. Switched to the IUD as advised by my doctor and that's a whole different adventure.”

lolo · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 24, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I got prescribed this birth control for abnormal periods and I've continued taking it for 4 years, I'm switching because of all the side effects, when I started taking it I felt very emotional, anxiety ridden, depressed, terrible moodiness, and felt insecure. It was at the same time I started taking it, I'm constantly nauseous and can barely eat, but will still gain weight. My face is always dry or oily or red, my scalp is always itchy, also have troubles with sex, like libido and lost my natural lubricant, I also started getting acne and get extremely depressed when I'm on my period and the week before. I've had to go on anxiety meds because of this. But I will say I never got pregnant, only plus side.”

zzlacey · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2014

For Birth Control: “This pill truly gets 10 stars! I am just about to finish up my first month and I am so happy I started taking these pills. I was prescribed Sprintec but was given the equivalent Mononessa. Mononessa has cleared up my moderate to severe acne in just one month! It is truly a miracle as I have tried literally EVERYTHING to get rid of acne. It is so amazing to wake up with clear skin....also, my pubic hair has stopped growing in many places and does not grow very fast..also, no razorburn! uhhh...YAY! I also feel like I am not retaining as much water weight. I have not gotten sick on this pill. The only side effects I have had are being extremely tired, high sex drive, vaginal dryness, and a slight decrease in appetite. You should certainly try this pill.”

Maya J May 27, 2015

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Mononessa since January 2013, and have had a really good experience. No weight gain, no hormonal changes, no unexpected pregnancies! If I ever had side-effects it was within the first month of taking the pills just because my body was adjusting to them. But ever since, my period has been extremely consistent and gotten a lot lighter (which is nice!). I honestly just have no complaints. Also, with a committed partner, it has been totally safe to have sex without a condom (if you're wondering about that kind of thing). I've never had a scare or anything with this birth control -- it's been super effective. Overall, it's just a great product. Love it. Also, shout out to Obamacare for covering my birth control!”

K-lynn531 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 7, 2014

For Birth Control: “I love Mononessa. I used to have extremely painful cramps, I would have to miss work and school because I was in so much pain, and Mononessa has definitely helped. At first it didn't seem to help with the cramps so I went back to my doctor and she uped my dosage. My periods come on the exact same day every month which is really nice. I definitely don't have as heavy of a period and it normally lasts 3-4 days. I do seem to be a little more emotional the week before I start but I never had any weight gain/loss issues with it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2014

For Birth Control: “I've been on this birth control for a week and one day. I had had irregular periods and extremely heavy blood flow to the point of being hospitalized for being anemic and not able to stand.(Yeah it wasn't the best experience). However, two days after taking the pill, my bleeding stopped and all the pain from my period had went away. However, the nausea was so bad. I vomited every few hours and was really hungry. Luckily I'm doing much better because my body has finally gotten used to the pill! Don't give up just yet! It'll get better after a while you just have to give it time!”

Jb04 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2014

For Birth Control: “After years of having awful period cramps to the point of the first 3 days of it starting I always had to call out of work because I could not do a thing but lay down. Heavy, very heavy bleeding. I have only been on this pill for a month and my first period was actually wonderful. Very light bleeding and almost hard to tell cramps. I even lost 8 pounds without even trying. My face has also cleared up. I have tried all sorts of different birth control, with nothing working closely as well as this. I hope it continues to work this great.”

Love this!!!!!! March 2, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been told I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, my period was never normal. If go to a year without bleeding then all of a sudden I started bleed for 5 months straight. Being overweight my doctor told me I would have to take two Depo-Provera shots so I did. I continued to bleed heavy and hard and very painful so I decided to find another doctor and he prescribed my Mononessa. I stopped bleeding in one week and when it was time to take the last 7 pills I was nervous to take because I didn't want to bleed but my period came and it was so light no cramps just a little moody. So glad I finally found something that truly works for me.”

baylee456 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2015

For Birth Control: “I have to say this pill has been a miracle for me. I was scared reading some other reviews of what people said but take everything with a grain of salt because everyone's body is different. There will be a right pill out there for you! I wanted birth control to regulate things and clear my hormonal acne. I got prescribed Sprintec and got the Mononessa. After one month things are great. My acne is cleared just left over marks healing. My moods have improved. I feel happier and less anxious. Sometimes a little hungry and sore/bigger breasts but my breasts were small so that's a plus for me. Light flow and little cramping first day. Never felt sick and no headaches at all and no weight gain.”

Soph1234 January 19, 2014

For Birth Control: “Honestly, this is the first and only birth control I've been on. I started taking it to prevent pregnancy about 11 months ago, and still currently on it. If you don't eat with the pill your going to feel sick , so I've learned to really stay on top of it. Besides that, the only other compliant I have is it makes me 5xs more emotional once my period rolls around, and I'm generally emotional anyways about some things so this really makes my moods only when on my period, very in the air! I would recommend this for first time birth control seekers as it has been working for me just fine (knock on wood). I would rate it a 9/10 because of the mood swings!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2014

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control for 3 months now. At first I didn't really notice anything, but recently I have realized that I have gained a couple pounds, even though I work out 5 times a week and eat relatively healthy. The worst part is my mood- I'll be happy-go-lucky one second, then become a psycho emotional wreck the next. I flip out about EVERYTHING and get really upset; I used to be very mellow and laid back. However, it has really cleared up my skin and my period is regular now.”

Nicoleman · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2014

For Birth Control: “It's almost been 1 month of taking this birth control. At first I was experiencing nausea for 5 days then it went away. I have noticed weight gain and I am constantly bloated! I've taken anti bloat meds but nothing seems to help. I work out and eat super healthy and the bloat stick and the weight can stick also! I am thinking of dropping this birth control.”

Anonymous June 14, 2011

For Birth Control: “In the beginning this contraceptive made me nauseated every single day, which was irritating. I did spot more than normal in the first month or two, however I am now 18 months in and like it very much. I don't have nearly as many crazy mood swings on this pill as I have on others and it seems to be a very effective contraceptive (even if I forget to take it and have to play catch-up every once in a while). However, since I've been on it I have experienced yeast infections and urinary tract infections much more often than usual but I'm unsure if that is the Pill or change in sexual habits. All in all, not pregnant, so thumbs up.”

jaibreezy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2013

For Birth Control: “I've been on Mononessa for about 5 months now and I don't have any serious issues. When I first began taking it I did experience some nausea that went away after a week. I figure it was just my body getting used to it since this is my first time using birth control. I have suspected slight moodiness/ sensitivity but nothing too extreme.”

One Leg · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2016

For Birth Control: “I started taking Mononesse BC in April of 2015 by June of 2015 I was in the hospital with an arterial blood clot. I had to have part of my right leg amputated. I just saw my hematologist yesterday and he checked my d-dimer and it was determined that my levels are actually lower than normal to get another blood clot. So he said 100% without a doubt the bc caused my blood clot. He also informed me that I am one of two patients that he is currently treating that was on this bc and had a blood clot. I would urge everyone to get off of this bc pill. It's not worth you life or your leg for that matter. My life is forever changed by a little pill.”

MiraYou · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2013

For Birth Control: “I didn't last a full week with this prescription, despite the fact that I was given three months worth. Within just a period of a couple days, I was nauseous, dizzy, it gave me diarrhea, and it made me irritable and tired. I was so sick to my stomach, that even though food smelled good, it instantly made me sick to my stomach. Too high dosage for me.”

elki · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2014

For Birth Control: “I been on Mononessa for the past 2 years and have only stuck with it this long because it was the best I had yet to try (was extremely sick on Aviane and had heavy, long, unbearable periods with Ortho Tri-Cyclen) and it was free on my insurance. After 2 years my periods are still irregular, I experience recurring headaches, and I'm constantly bloated and have gained 10 pounds. Not to mention moodiness, feeling foggy, and decreased libido. ”

Anonymous June 29, 2010

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I am having nothing but problems on this birth control. I am a month and a half into using it and I have been spotting often. I spot more with sex. I just took the 9 th pill of the new pack and I am already spotting. I am moody and crying very easily. This birth control is not working for me. All this spotting is messing with my sex drive and I just never know what to expect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2012

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I'm 38 years old and I've never taken birth control before, but I started having 3 weeks of bleeding in a month with all the crazy hormone freak outs that come with a period for the same amount of time and I finally gave in to my gyn/ob's suggestion to try birth control. I feel totally normal again except my sex drive has gone through the roof. Which I honestly have no problem with at all. Consider it a positive. And I'm not craving as many sweets. Again, a positive. On the whole I'm very pleased.”

Stumpy Athlete 82 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2015

For Birth Control: “I began taking Mononesse April 28th 2015. I was admitted to the hospital on June 10th with an arterial blood clot and hundreds of small clots in my right foot. It had cut off ALL blood flow to my foot. The doctors tried everything to get rid of the clots. They got the one in my artery to break up but couldn't get the ones in my foot as some were as small as a hair follicle. June 23rd I was in surgery having a below the knee amputation. I am 33 years old and been an athlete my whole life. So physically I have always been strong, so I expected no problems there. Whew, it is definitely a lot harder than what I expected. It has affected my entire life, as I have had to learn to do everything differently. No person should ever have to go thru it”

Anonymous March 13, 2012

For Ovarian Cysts: “I had been experiencing ovarian cysts for at least a year, but I didn't know that was the cause until about 5 months ago. I have been on Mononessa for three months now and I haven't had any cyst symptoms, also I am instructed by my doctor to only take three of the reminder pills before I start a new pack instead of all seven. My periods tend to be lighter and my face is clearer than it used to be. I have been on birth control for about seven years now and so far I am liking this one a lot. I haven't really had any of the side effects, no spotting, some breast tenderness but I have always had that. My appetite does fluntuate, I'm not sure if that is due to the pills or not, I am a college student so it tends to happen a lot.”

Djlollipop February 11, 2016

For Birth Control: “I have been taking his medicine for about a month and a half. It honestly has worked great. My period was lighter, although it was a little longer. My acne has been clearing up. Also my sex drive never went down so that's awesome. When I first stared taking it I had the same feeling of morning sickness. But it went away and hasn't come back. At times I will get tender breasts. Also I don't have mood swings or cry a lot like other people say they do. I am the same as I always have been. Overall I would say that this is a great medication and highly recommend for you to try!”

jennawantstoknow · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2012

For Birth Control: “The first week of taking this pill I experienced nausea EVERY SINGLE DAY directly after taking the pill, it got a little worse while I was driving, which didn't help since I already had car sickness problems. After that though it went away, the first time I got my period with it was a few days after the placebo pills and so far its basically just spotting...hope this is normal because i am sexually active. ”

Katiebelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2014

For Birth Control: “I've been taking Mononessa for a little over 2 months now, and I love it! My periods used to be absolutely horrible (dreadful cramps and heavy bleeding) now they're not bad at all! I only had minor cramps on the first day. The flow was so light I never even needed a tampon. It hasn't effected my mood at all, coming from my fiancé. No nausea, or headaches. Only reason I give it a 9 instead of 10 is I feel like my acne is a little worse around my chin area :/”

About to be bc free October 30, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “First month went well. Second month I started bleeding spotting really the second week of active pills. I have now been bleeding for the last month and I'm tired. I've had all the symptoms of a period bloated, headache, tired, back pain,restless at night. I didn't have any of these problems when I was not on birth control. I really hate how this pill has made me feel as well as the all month bleeding.”

Jazfoodie June 12, 2013

For Birth Control: “Within few days of taking the pill my acne cleared up. On the other hand I have gained 4 pounds out of nowhere. Feel bloated, nauseated. Is a shame that side effects are so undesirable since it does work for my acne.”

asmith89 March 31, 2016

For Birth Control: “I have been on and off different birth controls for he past 6 years, including the mirena IUD, Nuva Ring, and other pills. The mirena made me lose weight and bigger boobs, but it also made me Crazy. Like a psychotic to my husband, and my acne was horrible. The Nuva Ring cleared up my face amazingly well, but made me gain weight like crazy, which in turn made me depressed. Some other pills I tried (can't remember names because there were probably 3 different kinds) worsened my acne or made me have crazy mood swings. A year After having a baby my doctor put me on mononessa, and it's the first time I have been happy with my birth control ever! My face is normally clear, weight is normal, mood swings low, periods normal to light.”