User Reviews for Vienva

Birth Control
3.5

Summary of Vienva reviews 3.5 46 reviews

Reviews for Vienva

For Birth Control "I used to take Aviane, then was switched to Falmina. I never really has problems while on these two medications, then suddenly my Rite Aid said they are no longer carrying falmina since they are now a walgreens. The pharmacist told me Vienva has the same active ingredient as Falmina so I said I would try it. It has only been 4 days and I feel terrible. I have had anxiety for most of my life but these past days I have had multiple anxiety attacks, have burst out crying for no reason, and have felt overall lethargic and not myself. It must be Veinva because no other aspects of my life have changed recently. I will no longer be taking this and am going to go off birth control fully."

A.S (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Aviane for a little over a year and two weeks ago I received Vienva instead (at Walgreens). I looked online to see what was up and apparently it was supposed to be the exact same as aviane, just different name brand. Within the first two days I had every form of PMS you can think of REALLY bad. My breasts only hurt when my hormones are extremely bad, and I felt like the nipples were going to fall off. Besides that, acne, weight gain, bloat, extremely moody, depressed, spotting for about a week, anything and everything. I wish I came on here and saw the similar reviews before I tried it."

Anonymous June 12, 2018

For Birth Control "As a teen this was my first pill ever, experience has been good. I started it because my period was horribly painful and would wake me up every night at 2 am and I would cry and use a heating pad so much that I burned my skin. The second day of my period was always the worst and my period would last around 5 days. Once I started the pill I did have spotting for about 2-3 days around the 2 week mark. Then I was fine. I’ve had a positive experience with this medicine as it hasn’t effected my mood or anything like that. When I got my period it was very light and the second day was so easy. I had little to no cramps. My period was only 3 days long."

HH (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Birth Control "Vienva (birth control) isn't okay. When they switched me to this at Walgreens (like many people) I read the reviews and try to go back as ask for something else but the pharmacist assured me it was the exact same as the pills I had been previously been prescribed. She said to not listen to reviews because it was the same pill as Aviane and Lutera, it was not!! I have been on those two for over 2 years and never felt as anxious and crazy as I did on this pill. I'm hoping next month they give me another brand."

Lil May 18, 2018

For Birth Control "My pharmacy switched me to Vienva unexpectedly. Decided to give it a try assuming it would be just as effective as all the other birth control brands I've been switched to within the past 7 years . I was completely wrong. I've been on it for 2 months and I've gained 20 pounds, in addition to excessive moodiness day in and day out. Since switching I've had an uncontrollable urge to literally cry myself to sleep, for no reason at all! I finally decided enough is enough and made an appointment to see my physician to get me off of this brand immediately!"

Kay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Vienva was the worst experience of my whole entire life. Like many I was switched from Walgreens to this brand I even asked the pharmacist if I would have any reactions as in the past when they switched me my body had a very difficult time adjusting to the medicine. They assured me that there would be no issues and it's like taking my current birth control which was lutera. Well they were wrong after a couple days of taking it I have had severe headaches, nausea, suicidal thoughts, depression, fear, constant panic attacks, bloating, more acne and I've also gained over 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Currently I am schedule to go to my gynecologist to get a new form of birth control because apparently mine is no longer being produced, For anyone that's being routed to this birth control- use caution"

Thewalkingduck (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

For Birth Control "HORRIBLE experience. I'm surprised this BC is on the market because it almost ruined my life. While on it, I was depressed, irritable, and bursts of anger as well as hair thinning, loss of appetite (I'm already thin), and acne. I could not figure out why I had basically no will to live or motivation to do anything and getting extremely irritable to not only my friends, boyfriend, but coworkers as well. I'm normally a very calm/collected person but this pill made me feel like I had no control over my life. AVOID!!"

Christine May 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Vienva for 5 months. I recently started feeling more serious side effects like palpitations, headaches, anxiety. I had my most recent anxiety attack. Never have I experienced this and the only thing I can relate this to is the birth control. My blood pressure has gone up but doctors always say it has nothing to do with it because of the low dose hormones but I know myself and I know the pill does something to you....."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve always struggled with anxiety and depression, but reached a point where I could self regulate through meditation, yoga, etc. I was on lutera which I responded well to. The company switched the brand to Aviane in June 2017. I began having more difficulties with depression but it was still fairly manageable, so I attributed it to stress at work. 3 months ago they switched me to Vienva, and I mentally went down the rabbit hole. I was constantly depressed, would wake up in tears, difficulties leaving the house, couldn’t concentrate at work, and the slightest think would stress me out to the point where I couldn’t handle it, which is very out of character for me. I was having angry outburst towards my boyfriend, irrational feelings of isolation from my friends, I would come home from work and just crash out asleep and constantly lethargic. I’m glad I read the reviews on here, it has normalized this for me and I am going to quit these pills this month!"

Cynnicole April 26, 2018

For Birth Control "My pharmacy switched me from Aviane to Vienva. I’ve been taking Aviane for a year with no problems. About a week and a half into the new script for Vienva I noticed terrible side effects. I was extremely nauseous, my whole face was breaking out, and I became an emotional wreck. I’m not someone who usually has mental health issues but this pill made me extremely depressed and anxious. I was able to go to a different pharmacy and get another pack of Aviane. It took a little over a week to feel normal again. Once that pack ran out my new pharmacy gave me Vienva again. After not being able to find the Aviane, I had to take the Vienva as I had no choice. After a few days all of those same symptoms came back again (so it’s definitely the pill). I would not recommend this pill to my worst enemy. The most annoying part is that every pharmacy thinks “they have the same active ingredients so they’re the same exact pill”."

KY (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I got switched to this brand and nothing is different I missed my period but that was it. No depression, no nausea, no fatigue, I completely felt normal. Honestly the only thing it did for me was vaginal dryness that’s it. So I do recommend this - it’s not for everyone as everyone is different. So you won’t know till you try it☺️ But good experience for me!"

Toneka (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2018

For Birth Control "This was by far the worst decision ever made. I was prescribed Lutera for birth control but Costco only had the generic brand Orsythia so I took that for 1 year. Normal side effects, mild moodiness, anxiety, bloating etc. Just a month ago Costco changed their generic birth control from orsythia to vienva and woow after the first 2 days I got a pimple (I never get pimples maybe once every 6 months) then the third day another pimple. Finally what did it, 2 weeks on the pill it was my boyfriends birthday and I experienced about 7 emotions in one hour.. I was sad, happy, excited, angry, depressed, anxiety attack, felt like everyone hated me at his party. It was the wierdest nastiest thing I have ever felt. Stopped using it that same day, it took my body about 2 weeks to fully rid itself of the drug and I feel like a shiny new penny. :) best decision ever."

pureau (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I was switched unexpectedly from Orsythia to Vienva by my pharmacy and have been taking Vienva for only about a week and a half. Suddenly, I am having terrible mood swings, depression, and overwhelming tiredness no matter how much I sleep. I have never been depressed in my life and usually have a very positive outlook on my life. Now everything makes me upset. I spent a night uncontrollably crying because I couldn't control my emotions. I act like a different person and my significant other has noticed and doesn't know how to handle it. I can't believe how negatively it has affected me in less than two weeks. DO NOT TAKE VIENVA."

MP (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Orsythia for two years and then was randomly switched over to Vienva. I felt side effects immediately - mostly psychological - from the outset but didn't want to jump to conclusions. A year later and I've switched back to the previous. Vienva gave me recurrent panic attacks and left me in a state of depression otherwise. I experienced severe mood swings and could never ascertain what was wrong. I also developed shortness of breath, numbness in my arms and legs and more water retention than normal. I even lactated once. I sort of suspected it was the pill, and when I ran behind on my prescription renewal I realized this was the problem."

Glad I'm Not Alone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Birth Control "The only reason I’m giving it 2 stars is because I didn’t get pregnant. I only took this for 2 months and it was the worst experience. I was switched off of Junel for this and I’d rather go back. In month 1, I had break through bleeding with mild cramping on week 3, still got my period. I had just switched so I thought it was just a side effect. WRONG. Month 2 I had break through bleeding at the beginning of week 2 with awful cramps. I’m 2 days away from placebo pills and I’m STILL bleeding with cramps. I’m an emotional person but this was a different level, my poor boyfriend. Breakouts weren’t terrible but worse than breakouts of the past. If you can avoid taking this, avoid it."

CD2018 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

For Birth Control "HORRIBLE !!! After being on the depo for 3 months I had horrible side effects and constant bleeding , my gyn put me on vienva to help regulate my cycle and also prevent pregnancy , now I can’t live a single day without hating life . I’m extremely nauseous ALL the time , I get horrible anxiety, tender breasts and horrible dizziness, to the point where I can’t go to class and I can’t go to work because I can’t even function anymore , after reading everyone’s reviews I will NOT be taking this pill ever again"

Nan (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Orsythia before they switched me to this and I was disappointed. I have taken Orsythia for months and I was doing great on it. When they switched me to Vienva I was feeling nausea and my heart was racing and my left arm was in pain and felt numb. I had to stop these immediately."

Jackie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I was only on this pill for 1 week and it was terrible for me. I was put on it after having my baby. I didn’t have many issues with post partum it came and went quick. I was only on day 6 when I had a severe anxiety attack with with suicidal thoughts. I also had issues with anger I was angry at my fiancée and blew up at him for no reason at all. I bawl like a baby several times a day for no apparent reason. I asked for a low dose birth control pill because I have had issues with the higher dosed birth control, I am having all the same symptoms or worse then as if I were on Ortho tricyclen or the Depo shot. I have always had hormonal issues since I was 16 when I had grape cluster cysts cover my uterus so being on birth control is nothing new to me. I have used them to control the cysts for close to 20 years now. This pill by far is one if the worse. I stopped taking this pill right after my first sign of issues."

Lisa March 6, 2018

For Birth Control "For the last year or so, my personality has totally changed. I am reluctant to go out and be around people as I'm fearful that I will have an episode of paranoia, anger, or just anxiety in general. I have been having aggressive outbursts and full blown panic attacks. It's gotten to the point that I dislike myself and I know others don't really care for my company. I was never like this before. I've racked my brain for months trying to figure our what event (graduating, moving in with my boyfriend, starting a new job) could have triggered this emotional change. ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE GOOD THINGS. I finally asked my pharmacist for a list of side effects for my medications (Vienva and my allergy rx) today, finally thinking they might be to blame. Vienva's side effects concerned me...turns out I started taking Vienva in February of 2017. I'm not taking it starting tomorrow morning."

Tori (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I experienced nausea, sadness, and anxiety. I stuck with it, and the intensity subsided. However, depression and anxiety remained like a lowgrade fever. It became my norm, but I wasn't the same me. I started experiencing severe muscle cramps, heart palpitations, tingling in hands and feet. It wasn't until I forgot two days of pills and ended up taking four, I experienced all these side effects so intensely I thought I'd lost my mind. I felt extreme rage, sadness, panic, and the muscles in my legs twitched visibly. My hands were shaking. I was terrified and considered checking myself into a hospital. I called a pharmacist and he told me my body couldn't absorb it at once and he had received calls like this before. That I would feel better after a day or so, as the hormone levels returned to normal. I realized the overdose was just a more extreme version of what I've been feeling on it. By the way, birth control is the only prescription I've ever been on other than antibiotics."

Anonymous February 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Orysthia but they told me they switched it to vienva as well.This birth control has made me into such moody women my mood changes can go from 1 to 100 real quick which is not me and I hate it. It is not just that it makes me feel really down as well. Super depressed. I think I'm going to switch because after reading these reviews I'm not the only one that feels this way I don’t recommend this birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I was switched to Vienva because of insurance reasons. (I was told no changes from Orysthia-which I was previously taking) I am rating this pill a 4, only because it does protect you from pregnancy. However, the side effects are horrible. I have had hair loss, racing heart, and extreme anxiety from Vienva. I'm so glad to read other reviews and realize I'm not the only one!"

LindsLou (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on so many different birth controls in attempt to calm my endometriosis symptoms and this is hands down the worst one I have EVER been on. I have always gotten dizzy or nauseous from the medication but I have never had it change my mood like this one did. I've been on it for 2 months and everyone in my life has noticed how different I have become. I am so lost in my own mind it feels like I am watching myself go through my day. I have been insanely irritable and depressed. My poor boyfriend has been dealing with these intense mood swings like a trooper. I have lashed out randomly so many times and I have also cried on average 6-7 times per day. I have never felt this intense depression and from someone who was already depressed when going on this pill it was a train wreck. Overall this pill has been a complete nightmare and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, I have a lot after lashing out so many times."

Anonymous February 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking Vienva for a week now and so far everything is going well. No bloating, mood swings, headache etc. I may get a little nauseous for 2 min but thats normal for me if I take any pill on an empty stomach. I was previously on the nexplanon for 3 yrs and would sometime be on my period for like FOREVER. I would like to have a baby in about a year, so I’m only taking this for now to prevent pregnancy. I’ll follow up if anything changes after I’m done with the first pack."

Nay Nicole January 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Despite my breast swelling a bit sometimes, I like this pill. It helps me to get regular periods (without then I go for long periods without a cycle...up to 4 months on average) and regulate my hormone imbalance and give me monthly cycles as I desire, to regulate my body. I also lost weight because it helps my Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) which can effect the metabolism."

Mel Jane January 25, 2018

More about Vienva (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel)

Other brands: Aviane, Seasonique, Lutera, Alesse, ... +40 more