User Reviews for Lutera

5.5

Ovarian Cysts

Summary of Lutera reviews 6.3 324 reviews

Reviews for Lutera

For Birth Control "Be warned that Lutera pill can make your hair fall out if you are sensitive to higher androgen levels!! I have been on so many different pills and never had an issue with hair loss, but about 3 months after starting Lutera my hair was falling out in clumps. I have probably lost 35% of my hair, and fortunately the shedding has stopped (around 2 months after stopping Lutera) but my hair is stringy and my part has widened. I would like to give this pill a 0 because of how distressing the experience has been, but I rated it 2 because it did its job in preventing pregnancy. I wish doctors would tell patients about this potential risk of hair loss with Lutera."

Monica (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I’m on the last week of my second pack of Lutera . I had to switch from Aubra EQ so they are suppose to be generics of each other, same hormones same strength. I haven’t had any side effects aside from acne. My regular acne has not cleared up, and has in fact gotten WORSE. I’m breaking out in places I never broke out before (cheeks, neck). The places I would occasionally break out right before my period (forehead and below my mouth) are now constantly breaking out. I also have cystic acne on my chin now. I used to never get acne on my chin, and never ever ever get cysts. Haven’t gotten pregnant which is cool, but my face is painful to look and touch after starting Lutera. Honestly, if you want to treat acne or are afraid you will break out then don’t even bother with Lutera. I just hope it will go away when I stop/switch and not scar."

Jill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "I was on Lutera for 14 years. It completely eliminated my severe period cramps and heavy bleeding to the point where I barely had a period anymore. Only ever gained a couple pounds from it and it kept my skin fairly clear and PMS under control. Only bad thing is that it did really kill my libido, but that was not as big of a concern as my other issues. I had a hysterectomy last June due to massive fibroids (kept my ovaries) and went off of Lutera to see how I would do without it, and I can't stand it. Going to go back on it if I can find a pharmacy that still stocks it but so far I can't find one!"

PCOSsux (taken for 10 years or more) May 6, 2019

For Birth Control "I switched to Lutera after my previous birth control got taken off the market. I was told that it had lower level of estrogen which may cause spotting. First packet was wonderful - no issues. Second packet before I completed the active pills, I started bleeding and it is paired with horrible period cramps and nausea. I thought birth control pills will help with cramps. And according to my doctor I will be having period again when I get to the placebo week. Basically I will have a two week long period. Not to mention I did gain weight, got tender boobs and have trouble sleeping. I did expect those side effects but definitely did not expect a full blown crampy period that lasts for two weeks. I’m giving it a shot for one more packet since it takes 3 months to settle in. Hopefully I don’t go anemic before then from all this bleeding. If anyone has found the perfect birth control please let me know because I’m still on the hunt for one."

Denver May 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I hate Lutera, it does not work as I GOT PREGNANT! Waste of time, money, and energy! Whoever made this sucks! Don't ever let your doctor prescribe this to you! You will get pregnant!"

Larry (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I had previously been on Orsythia until my pharmacy started to fill it with Larissia which made my breasts severely sore and sensitive. From Larissia I moved on to Lutera which caused me to gain 7 lbs in 1.5 months. I did not notice an increase in appetite, just an increase in weight gain. My scalp turned extremely dry and flaky to the point that I purchased several medicated and moisturizing shampoos to try and correct the issue. I experienced extreme bloating almost daily. The first day of my period was extremely painful, it felt like terrible stomach inflammation."

Calisi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

For Birth Control "Lutera is the worse birth control I have ever taken, and I have taken plenty. The place where I order my birth control from just switched me to this and I noticed day 3 that this pill was going to be a challenge. My boobs were (and still are) very tender and they have gotten huge, like when your breast milk comes huge. I am experiencing dryness but not a lack of sex drive, just dryer. Second week on the pill I became extremely tired and moody. This 3 week things have gotten awful, migraines everyday, exhausted completely exhausted. I stopped taking the pill today because I am tired of my mouth being dry, my head hurting, I have developed a fever and chills this week and I don't want to do anything at all, this extreme exhaustion is the worse, and crazy dreams. As I was laying in bed today after sleeping for 15 hours and still exhausted I though I may be depressed but I am not sure. This is not the type person I am, I have never taken anything and it suck all the happiness out of me like this pill."

PePPeR April 18, 2019

For Birth Control "My doctor prescribed Lutera for acne, which I was on for 3 months. My periods were lighter, but there was no improvement with my skin. What prompted me to write this review is how I believe it affected my mood. I started Lutera right before I moved overseas (stressful enough as it is). For these past 3 months I've been more anxious than I've ever been in my life. Constant tightness in my chest, nervous for no reason, overwhelmed, irritable, etc. The smallest things felt unmanageable and crushing. I assumed this was just the stress of moving so I tried to meditate and exercise but the anxiety was still there. About 2 weeks ago I ran out of pills. A few days after finishing the inactive pills I noticed the anxiety was gone. Nothing has changed in my life, but I feel lighter and completely normal, without constant stage-fright nervousness. I'd urge anyone who's feeling unlike their usual self to consider that the hormones may be hurting, not helping, their mood."

kt April 10, 2019

For Birth Control "Before, I was taking Aubra, and I had severe mood changes and weight gain. After taking Lutera, all these unpleasant side effects diminished. It also cleared up my horrible acne."

Nomi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2019

For Endometriosis "I took Lutera for a year from sophomore year to junior year back in high school. It was prescribed to me because endometriosis runs in my family and I was starting to show symptoms and missed school 2-3 days a month due to cramps. First month was fine, but then I began to have 2 periods a cycle. I had no problems with acne besides when I was in 6th grade and had my first period, but I began to develop severely painful cystic acne all over my face. I began starting actual physical fights with people, something I had never done before, as I’m a very calm person. I came to realize all the drastic changes that had happened in that year of use, so I switched birth controls and I’ve felt like my normal self ever since. Ladies, PLEASE take action if you don’t begin to feel like yourself! I know a lot of others that have experienced the same thing, and I advise extreme bodily awareness while taking this."

Leah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2019

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome "I ordered this medication thru an online birth control website and the nurse practitioner recommended it because I'm over 35 and am at higher risk of blood clots due to my age and weight. I have PCOS and have had ovarian cysts in the past that required surgery as well as benign endometrial hyperplasia that could turn cancerous if not kept to a minimum. I hated Lutera. I took it and it made me so irritable after only a few days. Plus, my face broke out in zits. I promptly stopped taking it and asked my doctor about a different medication."

MissLeopard83 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2019

For Birth Control "Honestly. I’ve been on three brands of birth control and Lutera has by far been the worst one I went on. I had weight gain, and since taking it, I have suffered from the worst constipation. While on the pill I would have sore bloated spots on my lower abdomen, and it would not go away unless I downed a bottle of Magnesium to help pass stool. It’s been around 2 years and it still hasn’t gone away despite going off birth control a few times as well as changing brands. Would not recommend at all."

Van (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2019

For Birth Control "Hi all, I've been on birth control pills for 33 years (other than 3 planned pregnancies :) My pharmacy switched me a few months ago to Lutera after supplying me with Aviane for years. For the first time I think I'm having reactions, weight gain and fatigue, that I didn't have before. Other than the occasional nausea at the start of a new pack I've been pretty lucky over the years. I just couldn't understand why I've gained 10 pounds in just a few months. I've been racking my brain and beating myself up, dieting, etc... Then, just this morning I realized that something did change a few months ago- Lutera! Have a message into my doctor about changing. Fingers crossed!"

Redjulie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2019

For Birth Control "BEWARE! I GOT PREGNANT ON LUTERA. I always have “perfect use” of birth control pills, aka I never miss a pill and have never even taken one late in my almost ten years of using different birth control pills. I switched to Lutera and followed all of the instructions about when to start and how long to use backup protection (confirmed with OBGYN I was doing it correctly too). Within three weeks, I got pregnant! Definitely NOT what I want from a birth control. OBGYN has no idea how it happened because I never got pregnant on any other pill and did everything right here. Very alarmed that this pill seems to be ineffective at the one thing it’s supposed to do!"

C (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

For Birth Control "So far better than others, but slightly worse than my favorite (aubra). Made me less dry down there then my last birth control, but still more dry than usual. This is my first month on it, so still very new. No acne but I have never had a problem with that before. I'm on pill 4 of week 4 and have not started my period yet which I'm hoping is normal. I wiped and there was like tan brown discharge that I'm hoping is from the birth control and not pregnancy. I have been moody and sad but I am an emotional person and can't really tell if that's because of the birth control or not. No weight gain or any other side effects, my main concern is the discharge no period thing, otherwise would recommend."

KAY (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on the Aviane equivalent for a year and it was fine, my insurance switched me to this. Now for the past four months I’ve become depressed, angry and irrational, my periods have become all together 10x worse on all accounts including migraines, weight gain, emotional breakdowns, horrible cramps and backaches, and heavy bleeding. Stopped taking it for two weeks and feel so much better already. Beware this pill! Made me crazy :("

Elise (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2019

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve been taking them for two months now. They’ve caused pretty bad acne, breast soreness, cramps, depression and anxiety. I feel sad all the time and really unmotivated. I’m taking them to regulate my period and it does the job. I know I’m supposed to wait 3 months to get used to them but I don’t know if it’s worth it honestly."

tropical (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been on Aviane for 3 years and was pretty satisfied with that birth control pill. Then unexpectedly my insurance no longer carried it. My pharmacy told me Lutera was the generic equivalent of Aviane. I reluctantly took it for 2 months and hated it! I can't understand why I had so many side effects when I never had those side effects with Aviane. First of all, this pill completely killed my sex drive. I was totally dead from the waist down. It was awful! I had sore tender boobs most of the month too. Emotionally I just felt really dead. I can't explain it. The hormones in this pill just made me numb. I felt strange on it. No emotions. I was also shocked at how much I bled on it when my period came. Also, a lot of stomach nausea 2 days before my period and a lot of cramps during my period which I never had with Aviane. I stopped taking this pill and finally feel normal again. I would not recommend Lutera at all. It was strange how it made me feel."

Aliana94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Lutera gave me horrible acne and weight gain. Had to switch to a different combo right away!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

For Birth Control "My doctor prescribed me Lutera because I was having bad mood swings (getting really angry and crying a lot) on Microgestin. I only took this pill for 2 weeks, so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance but it actually made me depressed to the point life was garbage so I switched. I do have a family history of depression, so that might be a factor, but I haven't had these kinds of depressive symptoms on the other 2 pills I've been on. I didn't have any spotting at all when I was taking it and it was effective as a contraceptive, but I would never take it again."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for about 2 years and I loved it. I had no side effects. The only problem was I still had bad period cramps but it helped a little bit. I just switched to Taytulla and want to go back to Lutera since Taytulla is giving me awful side effects !"

Aiw (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Wow this birth control was awful. I was on it for about 4 months and gained about 10 lbs. Worst of all, it gave me depression and bouts of really dark thoughts. It was gradual so I didn't even know it was because of the pills. Luckily my boyfriend made me stop taking them and I felt better within 3 days. If you're taking this please be careful!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve taken Lutera throughout high school and still to this day and it works fine for me. When I tried a different birth control (APRI) it made me gain so much weight. I went back on lutera. I don’t break out, I didn’t gain weight and I’m not sure about the mood swings because I think that’s just how I am lol."

Mimi (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 13, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "For the first 6 months lutera worked very well for me unlike other birth controls that I previously took. Lutera had almost no side effects such as weight gain and moodiness. My periods were regular and lighter then after about 6 months, I started getting my period every 2 weeks. This went on for 2 months until I stopped taking the pill."

hk August 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Well, I’m currently on my second pack of Lutera. The second week on the pill I was incredibly moody, however that stopped. As soon as I stopped taking it, I got my period the next day. So it has definitely helped with regulating them. Periods are lighter and cramps are slightly better. The only complaint I have is a slight decrease in libido and extreme dryness. I’m hoping that goes away though."

Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018