User Reviews for Lutera

Ovarian Cysts 2 reviews 55 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 2 reviews 97 medications

Summary of Lutera reviews 249 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Lutera

For Birth Control "I'm reasonably satisfied with Lutera. My chief concern with oral birth control has been emotional side effects (feeling SO CRAZY), and I really cannot tell any difference at all in my mental health or emotional state when taking Lutera. It's not a perfect fit still, as I cramp way more on the last 2-3 days of 'white pills' than I ever have, though the cramps are mild. I've also noticed breast tenderness. But for me the worst effect is that I have had about zero sex drive in the 4 months I've been taking Lutera. That's been a major drag."

SCnative (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Tried Ortho Tri Cyclene, I was so mentally and physically sick I had to stop on the 12th pill. Have been on Lutera now for 4 1/2 months. I've been in a chronic depression/anxiety for the past 2 months. The first 2 months were great. I'm also on other meds so I'm not sure if this is the cause. Also have lost a lot of hair :("

crazygirl66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

For Birth Control "Overall a good birth control to take. I have been using for 3 months and period is lighter with no cramps, don't get mood swings just a little sensitive a day before period. First few weeks I felt nauseous in mornings an head aches on and off but then they went away. No weight gain so far, boobs got a little bigger. A downside is I have been breaking out when usually I have no acne at all. So far very reliable because not pregnant"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Do not take it! I was recently misdiagnosed with PMDD Bc I was having severe mood swings, headaches, anxiety, depression etc. Bc of those effects my OB put me on SSRI's on top of this birth control diagnosing me with PMDD. Only to find out months later that those and the Lutera were literally making me crazy. I was taken to the ER when I had a severe panic attack the other day and followed up with my primary Doctor. She took me off the anti depressants and also took me off Lutera explaining Lutera was the cause to it all. That I more than likely do not have PMDD and that I should have been given a different birth control by my OB long ago instead of misdiagnosis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera for over 2 years now. when I first started taking it I had some mood swings, but now I'm ok. I'm changing my birth control because I feel like it affected my sex life. I hardly get in the mood. My doctor is switching it to Yaz. Hopefully that would work better. If it wasn't for the affect of Lutera on my sex life I wouldn't have changed it at all."

SportGal93 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2016

For Birth Control "So far it's been over 2 weeks on Lutera and I like it. I only had a headache and slightly nauseous on the first day of taking the pill and after that I was fine. My skin is clear (I didn't have acne before either though), I have no mood swings & no spotting. My energy level is the same as before I took the pill. I have no weight gain either. Overall I am very pleased with this pill. In the past I have taken Orthotricyclen and it made me slightly nauseous and I had some light spotting if I took a pill later than usual. I hope this review helps someone. Just keep in mind everyone is different and their body reacts differently to bc pills."

Judge Truth (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the pill for about 8 years now. doc recommended lutera, I was too young to know the difference/shop around for alternatives, but overall I am very satisfied. most importantly, I'm writing this review as someone who went off of lutera for three months to see what effects it would have on my body. one overwhelming difference I noticed was in my energy levels... I was exhausted ALL the time. I was on a high-iron vegan diet, eating healthy all the time, and getting decent sleep, so the culprit was obvious. being back on lutera for only two days made a huge difference. also my sex drive was WAY too high when I went off of it! to the point where it was a daily inconvenience. now it's back to normal. no significant weight changes."

AQZ (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking Lutera tablets for about a month now. I've never felt this bad. Everyday I feel nauseas, weak, headaches, heart palpitations and somewhat down. I've been a lot more sensitive with things that I would normally be able to handle without a hassle. I feel dizzy and weak most of the day and with two kids to care for, we all know that it doesn't matter if we are sick; we still have to be responsible and care for them. I am waiting on my doctor to call me back tmrw to see if it's best that I switch to a lighter dosage or to my previous birth control pills, to which I had no side effects with. Hopes this helps someone out there. God bless you!!!"

Valeria 33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

For Birth Control "This is the first birth control pill I ever took. I was on it for 3 years and overall it was a very good experience. It helped clear up my acne, although during stressful times I still would get some small breakouts. My periods were much lighter, I didn't gain any weight, in fact, I lost 20 lb which was nice. I never got pregnant. My only complaint is that it did kill my sex drive, which was annoying. I'm about to start Trinessa to see if this remedies the problem, but if Trinessa ends up being problematic, I will definitely switch back to Lutera."

Maddie31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera for a year and I literally renewed my prescription today. It's so good that I'm scared to try anything else. I don't have any side effects. If anything else it has calmed me down a bit (I'm really emotional/anxious) I haven't had any weight gain or anything crazy. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in trying birth control."

Tiffany J (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I just started Lutera a month ago, but so far I am very happy with it. I put off going on birth control for years because I'm a sensitive person and thought that I'd surely be the type of person to react negatively to the hormones. However, since starting I feel great! I feel even-keeled and happy, and did not experience the usual intense mood swings and food cravings of my cycle. My period is light and I hardly experienced any cramping (in the past, I've had to miss work because I've been in so much pain). My boobs are a little tender and I do notice brown discharge/some spotting, but I haven't experienced any truly negative side effects. I'm really happy with Lutera and wish I had made the decision to go on it years ago!"

jcrewen77 August 15, 2016

For Birth Control "My 16 yr-old daughter started using it. For a few days she was ok. Things soon changed however and the rest of the 2 months she was on it were horrendous. She is usually a very happy, optimistic and easy-going person. She became highly irritable, having frequent outbursts of anger over seemingly nothing. Her boyfriend, my husband and I were walking on eggshells around her constantly, as it seemed anything would set her off. She broke up with her boyfriend 3 times during that time, which she had never done before. I was super scared and wondered what was going on. It took us a little while to realize it was probably the Lutera, and we took her off it as soon as we were able to convince her it was clearly unhealthy for her."

Tewa August 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Lutera for over a year, and I love it. I'm shocked to see so many bad reviews but i guess everyone's body reacts differently so I'd just keep an open mind! I have very light, short periods, I'm no more moody than I would normally be, and haven't gained any weight. I have used other pills in the past that made me very moody and depressed and worsened my PMS symptoms but this really evened me out. the only thing I'm wondering is if this is why i have persistent acne, it never occurred to me until recently because all doctors I've asked just say oh good you're on bc that should be helping. Even if it is the cause of my acne i'm not sure i would switch because it works that good for me."

em225 August 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera for around a year and I think it's a great birth control. My periods are usually pretty light, but one thing I've noticed is that I get brown discharge quite often (no I don't have STD's). My doctor told me that Lutera would be a better birth control for me because it has a lower dose of hormones than many other birth controls since I've had bad experiences with others. I've had no weight gain, and have actually lost around 40lbs since I switched from the Depo shot to Lutera. I recommend it!"

Courtney j August 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been taking Lutera up for almost two full months n Now. I would not recommend this pill to my worst enemy I have been bleeding since day one it started out with new blood and now for the last month it's been dried up brown old blood this is not what I signed up for. It's doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be doing lightning your period and cramps. My Obgyn says to stick it out for 3 months but screw him. He's not bleeding for an entire month so why should I suffer. Wouldn't recommend this pill."

Cluv09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I love Lutera. I am very sensitive to other forms of birth control. Lutera has been one of the only kinds I can take. Pros: light periods, no cramping, no intense side effects, bigger boobs. Cons: Brown periods, slight weight gain. I also tend to get a bit emotional 1 or 2 days before my period....however I am always an emotional person so this could just be me. I have been on Lutera for 6 years ☺"

Akirish (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I am highly surprised at all the negative reviews of this pill. It's in unfortunate that so many women have had a negative experience with this. As for me, this is by far one of the best birth control pills I have ever taken. I started taking this three months ago as a form of cycle control. I skipped the placebo pills for the last three months. Honestly, I haven't had any issues with mood swings's, in fact I felt happier which is an interesting side effect. Normally when I start a pill pack, the first three days are extremely nauseating. With this pillpack, I did not have any nausea. I also had an extremely high sex drive. Based on my experience I would recommend them to a friend. Glad I didn't Read the reviews first or else I would've turned them down. Keep an open mind everybody's body will react differently."

Jamie Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the pill for almost a month since July 2nd and I schudeuled an appointment with my OBGYN today due to this contraceptive cause lots of bleeding. I started on the first day I bleed from my last period and it's July 28th and I am currently still on my period. My doctor prescribed me Lo Loestrin now and I hope it helps me out. But with Lutera it was a horrible experience, Lots of headaches, low sex drive, MANY mood swings/depression. I got into many many arguments with my boyfriend this month and I had my relationship in danger!"

Lily1218 July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control pills for about a month now. My experience with it is not that bad, the only effects I've been having are spotting after my period, some changes of mood, more bleeding on my period, my breast has been getting bigger (tho I like this effect), and the cramps are a little stronger, no headaches, no depression, no weight gain (but if I get some weight in the future it will be fantastic), and it has been helping me with my yeast infeccion, and the most important, still not pregnant. I hope that my body will adjust to this hormones and some of this effects will reduce or disapear."

panlli July 27, 2016

For Birth Control "After taking Lutera for 4 months, all of a sudden I got my period two times in three weeks. Since I started taking it my breasts got huge, I gained weight, I've been depressed and my sleep pattern has been thrown off. As soon as I stopped taking it I felt 1000 times better, I feel like myself again, and now just have to work on getting back into shape because of the weight gain."

LPC5 July 12, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've been taking Lutera for Dilated veins in uterus (PVC) i've been on it for about 3 months to ease cramps & decrease bleeding, but it hasn't really done either. During the first month of the pill, I bled daily so I didn't necessarily have a period. I also gained about 5 pounds within 2 weeks, became extremely moody & still had issues with cramps. Month 2, I still experienced a lot of spotting, but it would be supressed for about a day or two, then continue for a week. I actually had a lighter period & some of the cramping was eased, but the weight gain & moodiness came with depression, lack of energy & made my skin breakout (seeing I never really had acne issues). I'm almost done with my 3rd pack & I plan to switch pills once I'm able to visit my doctor again."

mymymy937 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the worst cramps of my life, headaches, had volatile mood swings, seemed to have gain weight on this pill. Was not a good idea and will switch soon."

adfjvand (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

For Birth Control "The worst! I've been on Lutera for over two years. While taking this birth control I experience headaches, mood swings, depression, weight gain, drop in sex drive, and extremely long periods.my period will last 8-9days with occasional spotting between periods and other months 3-4weeks (<--maybe 3times since I started 2yrs ago) I was told this would make period lighter... Yeah not as heavy but longer :( After the 1st yr i spoke with my ob to make sure I didn't have any issues like fibroids, etc... And everything was normal so I decided to keep trying Lutera in the hopes my body would adjust. Boy was I wrong. The only pro is I'm not pregnant :) I'm definitely switching birth control #2years2long"

BDT June 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Started taking 3 years ago. It is important to understand more people will review for negative experiences... When I realized all the negative reviews on this birth control, I thought it was time to hear from a lutera "expert" (of course everyone's body is different) PROS: LIGHTER periods (went from 5-7 days of super tampons to 2-3 days of regular/light tampons!), CONSISTENT periods, LESS cramps, BIGGER boobs (lol I went up from an A to a B so I personally like this), NO pregnancy! CONS: HEADACHES (before/during/after period), MOOD SWINGS/DEPRESSION (idk if I'm crazy but I cry a lot and cause fights), BROWN periods, ACNE (never broke out before), WEIGHT GAIN (20lbs in 3 yrs)"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I took the pill for about 6 month the first 3 months were the worst for me i was cranky my sex drive went down the drain i was dry down there and i became depressed after i started to feel better just bad cramps.. the pill is effective just the side effects are the worst"

mynameiskathy June 21, 2016