User Reviews for Lutera

Ovarian Cysts

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Summary of Lutera reviews 6.4 308 reviews

Reviews for Lutera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I’ve been taking them for two months now. They’ve caused pretty bad acne, breast soreness, cramps, depression and anxiety. I feel sad all the time and really unmotivated. I’m taking them to regulate my period and it does the job. I know I’m supposed to wait 3 months to get used to them but I don’t know if it’s worth it honestly."

tropical (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been on Aviane for 3 years and was pretty satisfied with that birth control pill. Then unexpectedly my insurance no longer carried it. My pharmacy told me Lutera was the generic equivalent of Aviane. I reluctantly took it for 2 months and hated it! I can't understand why I had so many side effects when I never had those side effects with Aviane. First of all, this pill completely killed my sex drive. I was totally dead from the waist down. It was awful! I had sore tender boobs most of the month too. Emotionally I just felt really dead. I can't explain it. The hormones in this pill just made me numb. I felt strange on it. No emotions. I was also shocked at how much I bled on it when my period came. Also, a lot of stomach nausea 2 days before my period and a lot of cramps during my period which I never had with Aviane. I stopped taking this pill and finally feel normal again. I would not recommend Lutera at all. It was strange how it made me feel."

Aliana94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Lutera gave me horrible acne and weight gain. Had to switch to a different combo right away!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2018

For Birth Control "My doctor prescribed me Lutera because I was having bad mood swings (getting really angry and crying a lot) on Microgestin. I only took this pill for 2 weeks, so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance but it actually made me depressed to the point life was garbage so I switched. I do have a family history of depression, so that might be a factor, but I haven't had these kinds of depressive symptoms on the other 2 pills I've been on. I didn't have any spotting at all when I was taking it and it was effective as a contraceptive, but I would never take it again."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for about 2 years and I loved it. I had no side effects. The only problem was I still had bad period cramps but it helped a little bit. I just switched to Taytulla and want to go back to Lutera since Taytulla is giving me awful side effects !"

Aiw (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Wow this birth control was awful. I was on it for about 4 months and gained about 10 lbs. Worst of all, it gave me depression and bouts of really dark thoughts. It was gradual so I didn't even know it was because of the pills. Luckily my boyfriend made me stop taking them and I felt better within 3 days. If you're taking this please be careful!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve taken Lutera throughout high school and still to this day and it works fine for me. When I tried a different birth control (APRI) it made me gain so much weight. I went back on lutera. I don’t break out, I didn’t gain weight and I’m not sure about the mood swings because I think that’s just how I am lol."

Mimi (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 13, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "For the first 6 months lutera worked very well for me unlike other birth controls that I previously took. Lutera had almost no side effects such as weight gain and moodiness. My periods were regular and lighter then after about 6 months, I started getting my period every 2 weeks. This went on for 2 months until I stopped taking the pill."

hk August 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Well, I’m currently on my second pack of Lutera. The second week on the pill I was incredibly moody, however that stopped. As soon as I stopped taking it, I got my period the next day. So it has definitely helped with regulating them. Periods are lighter and cramps are slightly better. The only complaint I have is a slight decrease in libido and extreme dryness. I’m hoping that goes away though."

Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

For Birth Control "3 weeks in and I’ve had anxiety everyday. Doctor said to wait at least 3 months to get used to it, but if I still feel like this next month I have to switch back to the Nuva Ring. I can't control my emotions and I feel crazy."

Marie June 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m on day 5 of Lutera and so far it makes me super tired and moody. I’m hoping this passes. I switched from Tri lo sprintec to this pill because Tri lo started making me itchy 2 weeks in. I’m hoping the moodiness and fatigue goes away after a couple of weeks of use. Other than that no other complaints just yet. Will be back in a month with a better review"

Dest (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I used Lutera for a little over 2 years to stop my periods. Unfortunately it has stopped working and I've been having lots of break through bleeding. In fact, I start bleeding only 1 week after taking the placebo pills."

Leah (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm convinced this birth control is causing my depression and weight gain. Before the pill I was very irregular with my periods. But never even had a lot of symptoms either. Half the time I wouldn't even get a period, so thats why I went on the pill. I had also started a very serious relationship. I looked forward to regulating my period and also having another form of contraceptive. But I've had worse periods since starting. Cramps, terrible mood swings, no urge for sex. Just awful :("

Brenda (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera for 7 years and never had issue with it. I had tried about three or so other pills prior (can't remember those names) and had issues with acne, weight, hormones and so on in one form or another. Lutera was something I stumbled on for price purposes and ended up loving it. It helps maintain my weight and doesn't have any side effects, at least for me. Once I got married, I figured I'd try the depot shot... two injections, 15 pounds more and a whole lot of hormones later, I've decided to go back to Lutera. A pill a day never bothered me anyway!"

Cam (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this pill for 1-2 years, recently I just decided to do away with it. At first I thought it was something wrong with me but now that I’m off it I know it was the pill causing this. On the pill I would have horrible headaches (almost everyday), hot flashes, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness -this was the WORSE... when I felt it coming I would need to sit down immediately! I would start feeling hot, I couldn’t stand up, and my vision would go completely white. So many things happened on this pill but to say the least, dizziness and headaches is what I experienced the MOST. The side affects just weren’t worth it, now that I’m off it a lot of the side affects have vanished and I feel like I have more energy. For the birth control concept though it did its job. Also with my period it’s always been heavy, I've seen some people saying it’s made theirs lighter but mine was still heavy as usual. Overall I wouldn’t go back on this pill."

Brenda April 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I was only on Lutera birth control pill for a week and it was enough to stop taking them. The first side effect that I experience were headaches and stomach cramps that went from bad to worse and it caused me restless nights. I also experienced nausea, fatigue, blurry vision when my contacts were in, loss of appetite, and change in mood. I’m getting married this week and I was happy before I started taking these pills. I’m getting married in 24hrs and now I feel completely depressed and I’m crying for no reason at all. They say it goes away after 3 months but there is no way I am going to feel this way or worse for 3 months. The side effects from Lutera is not worth taking it I am calling the doctor today and getting off of it."

Worse experience I’ve ever had (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

For Birth Control "I used this birth control for about two years and began suffering from migraines after the first year. I got them every other day. They were so severe I had to go to the emergency room on multiple occasions. I saw my PCP who took me off of it due to increased risk of stroke. I have now been off of it for 3 weeks and haven’t had one headache and my clinical depression seems to be decreased. The only negative side effect of not being on lutera anymore is an increased amount of acne which is manageable. I wish I had known it was causing my headaches and I would have gone off of it sooner. It also turns out my sister was on the same medication when she used to suffer from migraines while she was in middle/high school. If anyone is getting severe headaches and takes lutera, I highly recommend talking to your doctor for different options. I will be getting nexplanon soon."

lilacskies February 21, 2018

For Birth Control "It is the only pill I have ever been put on and has never caused issues. This pill has made my period very short. I start sugar pills Monday, start my period Wednesday afternoon and end by Saturday evening. No mood issues, no added cramping. When I first started the only side effect I had was some vaginal dryness that lasted about a year or two and has gone away since. My husband and I have definitely tested its effectiveness and have been having unprotected sex the entire time I've been on it and no pregnancy scares. I've been given a few generics, Alese, Avianne mostly and no issues. I did once receive a generic from my pharmacy that was just the drug name (Ethinyl estradiol-levonorgestrel) and did have a bad reaction to that."

KTLope (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2018

For Endometriosis "This BC has literally been a lifesaver. I have Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) , endo, and PMDD (and at one point used this as birth control) and had an incredible decrease in symptoms. No weight gain, no loss of sex drive, no mood swings, my acne cleared up, my anxiety calmed and depression was more manageable, and I never had a pregnancy scare. I switched to Orsythia for about a month and had to switch to Lutera as a medical necessity due to my negative reactions with Orsythia. I cannot say enough good about this pill."

JillianJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I love this birth control!! I have been on it for almost 2 years, it is great for me! My periods are lighter, less cramps. In August my pharmacy swapped me to Avaine and I saw a terrible change. My bleeding became so irregular, I had brown mucus until I started the next pack, I would start super late in the in actives or early in the actives. I would cramp all month. I hated avaine. I swapped pharmacies and am now back on lutera and I cannot wait for everything to go back to normal."

Lex2415 December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on this for a few years and I've always been very happy. However, my pharmacy has stopped carrying it so they switched me to Aviane. I took Aviane for two months and convinced my pharmacy to give me the last of their Lutera so I am back on that again. I don't know if Aviane increased my sex drive or if Lutera was decreasing it, but there was a definite difference when I have switched back and forth. However, my periods are so light and so short on Lutera that I love it! Lower sex drive, but I can have sex more often, I'll take that I guess!"

coco22222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been taking lutera for 6 years now. I really love these pills. I have never had any bad side effects while taking these. Before I started taking lutera my periods were horrible. I used to have debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding, nausea, and vomiting on the 1st day of every period. With lutera my periods last about 3-4 days with little to no cramping. Also, I've been having unprotected sex with my significant other for almost 5 years now and I have never gotten pregnant. I'm extremely nervous though because I went to pick up my bc pills today & was told that they are no longer making lutera. I was given some pills called aviane. I'm just hoping that these pills will give me the same results as lutera did."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2017

For Birth Control "I absolutely hate this pill! I take it everyday but I thought I was pregnant. I'm sick, my mood is horrible, I'm exhausted. I will say it's helping with my acne and increasing my appetite (I'm thin so of course I want to eat more) but other than that it's a no for this pill for me. My period is lighter and shorter but everything else makes me miserable. My boyfriend hates being around me because I'm so moody. I couldn't explain why. I need to find another option. My sex drive actually increased but it's still a no bueno for me."

TLM87 September 7, 2017

For Birth Control "I had been on Lutera for a little less than 3 years. I never experienced drastic mood swings, weight gain or acne. My periods were way lighter and less painful than before I started lutera. Before birth control, I would throw up and be in uncontrollable pain for the first two days. Now I have mild cramps on day one and that's it. When I went to pick up my prescription last week, I was given Aviane instead of Lutera and I am PRAYING that nothing changes."

AresiaR August 20, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on Lutera (generic for Aviane) for about a year now. Since my last birth control caused extreme moodiness, decrease in sex drive, Lutera was a lot better with those side effects. My moods were a lot better, was not depressed and angry all the time like the last birth control. My sex drive was "ok" it wasn't completely decreased but it could have been better considering I am 19. Lutera also caused an increased appetite and caused acne on my face when I never have gotten serious acne before... Overall, the birth control pill was ok... still in search for the right one for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017