User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 256 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I have been on Lutera for 8 months. It has made my period super consistent; it always comes on the same day or the day after. My period lasts about 5 days; not much different from when I was not on the pill. I have not had any spotting. I get cramps occasionally the first day or two on my period, but the cramps are not as bad as they used to be and not as frequent. I have not had any bad side effects except for occasional bloating, acne flare-up around when I'm getting my period, and some mood swings. Overall, I am pleased, so do not be afraid to try this kind; however, birth control affects every one differently so you may have a completely different experience than me!"

bglk April 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lutera in late 2012 early 2013. As much as I can remember the only side effect I had in the beginning were cramps. Horrible cramps. Only for two periods. First one I was hunched over crying. Second one was the same but the cramps would come and go in waves. I left work early because I was in tears and hunched over again. I got home and felt the urge to push. So I went to the bathroom and pushed out this clot the size of my palm. Not even joking. Omg I thought I was dying. After that second time I never had cramps like that again. Over the years my sex drive went down & spotted between periods. So my dr had me switch. Overall. I love Lutera and would definitely use it again if given the chance."

Lovely LuLu April 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just renewed my prescription today so I have been on Lutera for a year. I consider myself a low maintenance person and Lutera fits well into keeping me that way. I have not noticed barely anything changing while I am on it except I went up a cup size. I don't necessarily like that, but my periods are normal and it has worked to prevent pregnancy. I take it at 10pm every night. I don't have any complaints and have been truly satisfied with he results especially because my insurance covers the cost 100%."

Rebs13 April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I dislike Lutera. I got a new doctor so this is her go to so I said alrighty. I've been on it for over 6 months. My period never regulated with it. Some months I have 2 periods within 3 weeks, and I spot whenever. I gained a lot of weight, about 15lbs and my boobs gained cup size- doesn't sound bad but it's weird. I also have been very sad and just in a low mood. I'm trying a new birth control this month and I cannot wait. I didn't get pregnant though?"

Messijessi April 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Lutera for 3 years and it was awesome! My cramps were mild, my periods were only few days long and lighter. I wasn't emotional and out of control. I felt normal. I didn't gain weight. This is a great pill to try!"

Mama1414 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started it a month and half ago and I am experiencing really bad headaches and stomach aches, but this I believe is quite normal when you start out on birth control. But one thing is my acne. (Or red spots) I had really good clear skin with an occasional breakout maybe a couple times a month, but nothing bad at all. And now that I'm taking lutera, I've formed these really itchy red spots all over my cheeks and forehead. It feels and looks like cystic acne and I hate it. I'm considering switching."

Skyelight (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Gildess Fe for years and loved it so much, but unfortunately it is now discontinued, so my doctor put me on Lutera. The first pack of Lutera was miserable. I am the happiest person, and this pill put me a bad mood all the time. Literally everything pissed me off. I feel like I'm going through puberty all over again (in every possible way). Also, my periods on this pill last for 9 days when it usually lasts for 3. The biggest complaint I have is how it's affected my relationship with my boyfriend of 9 years. We have not had sex in a month because I have zero sex drive. I just finished my third pack and will be switching to Microgestin on Sunday."

Jennaf April 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Its pretty good working but what most of these people are doing wrong is your supposed to eat before you take the pill or you will possibly get pukey just remember that but would recommend"

ChloeBBB March 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm not certain how I should typically feel being on a pill, since this is my first time. It's been 5 days and last night was the worst. I take my pill about 12 pm everyday but towards the end of the day I'm feeling so nauseous, also developed a lot of headaches; which is not normal for me and, there was some tenderness in my breasts. Not sure how to feel or if I should change pill to a lower dosage of estrogen!!"

Suci February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Lutera over a yr now and it has been a great pill. I have had NO weight gain and in fact lost a few pants sizes. It has cleared my face of breakouts, except an occasional pimple or 2 around the time of my period. I was informed of a manufacturer change a couple months ago and have noticed some changes. I get stomach cramps a week before my period, been overly tired and been craving sweets when I normally don't like them. And one of my recent periods I stayed nauseous with no appetite and slept every chance I got. Not sure if this is due to being in the process of changing jobs, pms, or the new manufacturer. If it is the new manufacturer, will get my obgyn to switch me."

Cobalt babe February 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started it yesterday and so far I puked. Then today I took it and felt sick and about to puke again."

Anonymous February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for about 4 months. I do get nauseous taking it. My appetite seems to have decreased but I've gained a lot of weight on it. I do get headaches more often and for some reason I get constipated as well"

Kensters (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've literally been taking Lutera for three days now, and I HATE IT. My back hurts so unbelievable bad I can barely walk, I'm so nauseous, tired, terribly tired all the time and I already have period cramps. I'm hesitant to stay on this for a few months because I know it hasn't fully adjusted with me yet, but at the same time this back pain is not something I'm gonna be able to handle everyday. My back never used to hurt, and now I finally get what people mean when they say "my back hurts so bad I can't breath" "

Tesshart January 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went back on the pill in the fall of 2016, I didn't experience any nausea like I did with previous pills which was great. Then 3 months later my pill was switched to Lutera, and my pharmacist told me it was the same thing I was taking just different packaging. I then started getting UTIs (which i never had before), severe anxiety, and hair loss( clumps were coming out in the shower!), and spotted a week before my period. I had no idea what was happening and the doctors I went to were of no help. Finally after a few months I went off Lutera to see if it was the culprit. All those symptoms went away after a couple weeks."

Rachel (27) January 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 23 and I've been taking Lutera for 2.5 years now. At first it was great, I didn't have any side effects except for mood swings now and then. But after 2 years I've lost my sex drive almost completely and have a lot of trouble with natural lubrication. I also have really dry eyes. At least I haven't gotten pregnant, I have an alarm to let me know to take it so I have never missed a pill and have taken it within the same 10 minute time frame every day. Today I ordered the Skyla after talking it through with my doctor and I can't wait to not have to remember to take a pill anymore."

Anonymous123456123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed severe depression and anxiety about a year after taking the pill."

Anonymous December 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lutera in August of 2016. I am 19 years old. My periods have become so much less of a hassle! My previously debilitating back and stomach cramps have become significantly less painful. My flow is also much lighter and tapers off much quicker. My cycle is very regular now. As far as sex drive goes, I'm not sure what everyone is saying about loss, because if anything I've gained. I can't help myself (which obviously my boyfriend is totally okay with). I'm also not experiencing any problems with lack of natural lubrication. Though, both my sex drive and lubrication situation could be due to my age compared to other ladies on this page! I've also gained 0 lbs. while on Lutera!!"

I Love Lutera (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on it for a month but so far no negative experience. I have been spotting here and there for about a week or so but my actual period was so short compared to how it normally is! My periods are usually 6 to 7 days long and I experience heavy bleeding but on BC, it was much lighter and lasted about 4 days. I did experience some nausea the first week but none after that. No noticeable weight gain yet so so far, it's been pretty pleasant."

Brimon November 13, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Lutera now for 8 months and it has made a very positive difference in my life. This was my first time going on birth control, and it was originally because I had such horrible headaches and cramps, but now I have a lighter period, headaches and cramps are rare, and I don't get depressed every month. Overall, it has worked really well for me. Only downside is having to remember to take it at the same time every day...and for the first week or two I just felt a little off and had some headaches and breast tenderness. Everyone is different, but after my experience, would recommend Lutera."

nr38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed severe anxiety whIle on lutera. It was terrible."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As a disclaimer, I have not taken birth control for over ten years. That said, I decided it would be the right choice with a new partner in tow. The first week I started Lutera, I experienced dryness around my lips. As I entered week two, I began experiencing dryness around the labia. The change in hormones affected me adversely as I became irritable and anxious for no reason apparent. It became very clear the pill was thinning the walls of my vagina and natural lubrication disappeared when I had normal intercourse with my partner and I was torn inside. I experienced quite a bit of tearing and consequent bleeding from those rips. I remained on the pill for a full month. My lips progressively became more dry and cracked."

Extreme dryness (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi everyone! I started taking Lutera 3 months ago. I have to say, I was tremendously reluctant to try this birth control after reading some of the horrifying reviews. My main concern, if I'm being honest, was weight gain. I lost 60 pounds by eating healthy and exercising but I am someone who gains weight rather quickly so it was definitely a concern for me. Here's a little back story: I've been on a few birth controls from ages 14-25. I initially began taking BC to help with my cramps. I decided to take a break after being on it for 10 years. In the past year, I have been experiencing excruciating cramps to the point where I was vomiting and calling out of work. I'm a pain tolerant person but my cramps were unbearable on day 1 and 2. I went to my gyno and she suggested I start birth control. Enter Lutera. The first week I was feeling slightly nauseous when I would first take Lutera. I decided to eat a large snack or small meal with it and that helped the nausea. I also noticed that I had awful mood swings for about 2 weeks. I would be laughing one minute and crying the next. I even called my gyno within the first week to see if I could switch birth controls, especially given the reviews I had read. She insisted that I stay on for at least one month, and if I still felt the same, we could switch it. I'm glad I listened. The nausea and mood swings went away. I have not experienced any weight gain. I've actually lost weight. As I mentioned before, I gain weight easily and fast so I am always mindful of what I'm putting into my body. I haven't experienced weight gain but I also try to eat well and exercise regularly {this is something we should all be doing anyway}. I haven't experienced acne or depression or anxiety while on Lutera. My periods are shorter and much lighter {about 3-4 days vs 6-7} and my cramps are not nearly as bad as they were. The only thing I've noticed on Lutera is that my boobs are pretty sensitive and my sex drive is slightly decreased but no more than what I had experienced on other BCs. I'm writing this review because I was one of the people who read these reviews and was SCARED + STRESSED to try Lutera. I'm glad that I listened to the medical professional who prescribed the BC {I voiced my concerns ahead of time} instead of listening to reviews online. I will also add that every body is different but I wanted to share my experience in hopes that it puts you at ease. I haven't experienced the symptoms that many people discuss in the negative reviews. Again, we are all different so I can't speak for everyone. I would imagine that medical history and your daily habits would have an effect on any medication you take. I would give it a try for AT LEAST a month and make an informed decision then."

Healthyhappyld (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm reasonably satisfied with Lutera. My chief concern with oral birth control has been emotional side effects (feeling SO CRAZY), and I really cannot tell any difference at all in my mental health or emotional state when taking Lutera. It's not a perfect fit still, as I cramp way more on the last 2-3 days of 'white pills' than I ever have, though the cramps are mild. I've also noticed breast tenderness. But for me the worst effect is that I have had about zero sex drive in the 4 months I've been taking Lutera. That's been a major drag."

SCnative (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried Ortho Tri Cyclene, I was so mentally and physically sick I had to stop on the 12th pill. Have been on Lutera now for 4 1/2 months. I've been in a chronic depression/anxiety for the past 2 months. The first 2 months were great. I'm also on other meds so I'm not sure if this is the cause. Also have lost a lot of hair :("

crazygirl66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Overall a good birth control to take. I have been using for 3 months and period is lighter with no cramps, don't get mood swings just a little sensitive a day before period. First few weeks I felt nauseous in mornings an head aches on and off but then they went away. No weight gain so far, boobs got a little bigger. A downside is I have been breaking out when usually I have no acne at all. So far very reliable because not pregnant"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016