User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I got the worst cramps of my life, headaches, had volatile mood swings, seemed to have gain weight on this pill. Was not a good idea and will switch soon."

adfjvand (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

"The worst! I've been on Lutera for over two years. While taking this birth control I experience headaches, mood swings, depression, weight gain, drop in sex drive, and extremely long periods.my period will last 8-9days with occasional spotting between periods and other months 3-4weeks (<--maybe 3times since I started 2yrs ago) I was told this would make period lighter... Yeah not as heavy but longer :( After the 1st yr i spoke with my ob to make sure I didn't have any issues like fibroids, etc... And everything was normal so I decided to keep trying Lutera in the hopes my body would adjust. Boy was I wrong. The only pro is I'm not pregnant :) I'm definitely switching birth control #2years2long"

BDT June 25, 2016

"Started taking 3 years ago. It is important to understand more people will review for negative experiences... When I realized all the negative reviews on this birth control, I thought it was time to hear from a lutera "expert" (of course everyone's body is different) PROS: LIGHTER periods (went from 5-7 days of super tampons to 2-3 days of regular/light tampons!), CONSISTENT periods, LESS cramps, BIGGER boobs (lol I went up from an A to a B so I personally like this), NO pregnancy! CONS: HEADACHES (before/during/after period), MOOD SWINGS/DEPRESSION (idk if I'm crazy but I cry a lot and cause fights), BROWN periods, ACNE (never broke out before), WEIGHT GAIN (20lbs in 3 yrs)"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

"I took the pill for about 6 month the first 3 months were the worst for me i was cranky my sex drive went down the drain i was dry down there and i became depressed after i started to feel better just bad cramps.. the pill is effective just the side effects are the worst"

mynameiskathy June 21, 2016

"I have been on lutera for 3 months after switching from another birth control.. Within 3 months I have gained over 35lbs- not even in my boobs. I eat healthy, exercise daily - and still gained weight. Not to mention the constant mood swings or depression. My boyfriend & I never really argued until I was put on lutera. I would be perfectly fine one minute then yelling at him for nothing the next. I hate how this pill makes me. Stupid hormones. I already called my pharmacy & they're ordering my old birth control for me so ill be back on that when this pack runs out."

ThisPillSucks June 20, 2016

"I had been on orsythia for over 2 years with no problem before being put on lutera, which I told was just another generic form. WRONG! Lutera has made me moody all month long, my craps are bad. I've been on lutera for about 4 or 5 months. I've talked to my pharmacist to give me something else."

sunshineegirl June 14, 2016

"I was on Junel Fe for 2 years and only just switched to Lutera last week because I felt like my boobs were shrinking on Junel Fe (I'm going back on Junel Fe tomorrow!). Since then, I have felt like absolute CRAP! I used to be anorexic and now that I'm so bloated I feel like never eating again! I work out every day and my abs were so defined until I took my first pill. I do not recommend this birth control because it makes you blow up like a whale! If you don't mind that then there's nothing wrong with taking Lutera."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"I've been taking this for almost 2 years. This pill actually stopped spotting that was occurring from my previous pill. No side effects, no weight gain, no mood swing, none of those. Not only that, my period is even shorter and lighter (or that's just with my aging). I am very healthy active late 40's, exercise regularly. Even being on this pill I was able to lose over 50 pounds. I will continue to take this until I don't have to anymore."

MFPJP (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2016

"Before getting on BC, i was absolutely terrified because of the side effects and all the god awful reviews. I've been on Lutera now for 2 months, which isn't a very long time, but i wanted to still give my review. My body might start to react differently in the later future but if it stays at where it's at now, i'll be so so happy. My period is much lighter, cramps are the same, i haven't bloated like a balloon, etc. I always experienced mood swings during my periods and I think i'm just about the same with birth control, no more no less (yoga helps a LOT with my insane moods), sometimes i'll get a headache from the pill sometimes but lasts about half an hour. My boobs are pretty sore here and there after taking the pill. Nothing else!"

isabella isabella June 5, 2016

"I started with Ortho Tri Cyclen, and only switched because of breakthrough bleeding. I am currently on Day 40. The first two weeks I noticed nausea, listlessness, and mild depression, but thought nothing of it because I was starting a new dose of hormones. No breakouts, weight gain or bleeding. Week one in the second pack, the nausea was back and accompanied by headaches. I noticed myself starting to get depressed again, and my anxiety was constant all day. I went through a spell and cried for two and a half days in a row. I then knew it was definitely hormone related because nothing was even wrong. This almost cost me my relationship."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"I started taking Lutera the end of Feb. 2016. I was getting married and thought I would give it a try. It's pretty good over all, I don't have any emotional problems and it doesn't make me sick to my stomach. However, I've gained 17 pounds in 2 months! My boobs got a lot bigger as well. I went from 165 lbs at my wedding to 182 lbs. today May 9th, 2016! I feel so bloated and fat! I am in my late 40's. I was anorexic in my early 20's. This medicine makes me want to stop eating again! Other than the weight gain it's ok but I don't think I will stay on it. "

Graycen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

"This is the worst pill I have ever taken, and I've been on several. I didn't connect the dots until I had been on this pill for almost 4 months. The only pro was that it lessened cramps. CONS: Spotting for an entire month when I first started. My acne flared up uncontrollably. My mood swings were insane and I thought I was depressed. I didn't realize that it was this awful pill doing this to my body. I wish I had never taken this pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for almost 4 years and it has been pretty good. I haven't noticed any terrible side effects except for when I take the first pill of a new pack - if I eat or drink anything within the first few hours of taking the pill I will feel nauseous. That's why I take it just before bed on Friday nights now. The first year or so I would also feel incredibly tired starting about an hour after taking the first pill of the pack, but that has since gone away. As for other side effects I can't really remember what my body would normally "do" without the pill."

saladfingers (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2016

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND. I've tried plenty of other pills in the past (Lessina, Norinyl, Syeda to name a few) and this is my least favorite. I stopped taking birth control for a couple of years but recently decided to get back on so my doctor prescribed me Lutera. Within weeks, it made me more irritable/sensitive (I would cry for no reason) and my sex drive became nonexistent. I had instances where I would be interested in having sex but couldn't enjoy it due to painful cramps. I also felt extremely nauseous, had horrible indigestion, my acne came back, & felt bloated the entire time I was on this pill. Aaand, I had breakthrough bleeding for 3 weeks straight. Thankful I was able to switch back to a generic of Yaz, it's quite an improvement."

smnavq April 24, 2016

"I've been using Lutera for a bout a month now and I hate it! My acne is so bad On this brand. Although it does protect against pregnancy which is good. I haven't gotten a period yet. Just a little bit of spotting. When I 1st started taking Lutera I got real bad body aches... And I feel very moody... Will be talking to my doctor about switching back to Aubra"

Tay1246 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"This birth control is TERRIBLE!!! It increased my mood swings, made me feel as if I was on my cycle for about a week and a half (which only lasts normally 5 days), decreased my sex drive, caused me to discharge a lot, and caused a drastic weight gain (at least 15lbs)...only gave it 2/10 because I didn't get pregnant..."

mariammg April 18, 2016

"One week. Still top notch shape. Luckily, my peripd ended a day earlier thsn my usual 5 day period. Of course all medicines require side effects.dont feel extra moody or anything. My only concern is dry eyes so far when wearing my contacts, which will hopefully will subside before next month where i will be taking my yoga teacher intensive training. Definitely dramatically proved to subside much of my hormonal imbalance symptoms. I am 4"11 and 100 lbs.. 28 years old. Healthy, active and finally seeing my acne under control in one week!"

SamanthaRose357 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"This is a horrible birth control I've tried several and this is by far the worst I've been taking it for about 8 months have gained several pounds, have terrible mood swings, most days I feel sick and have lost a lot of my hair. I though most side effects would go away after a few month but that is not the case. Taking this pill is one of the worst things you can do to your body"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2016

"After giving birth to my third baby, my OBGYN put me on Lutera as a low dose contraceptive to balance out my hormones as well as be a back up method of birth control since my husband was due to have a vasectomy. Unfortunately after 5 months I had to switch, as I was getting minimum two periods a month, and during the worst month I was on Lutera, I bled 22 of 29 days. Finally I gave up and switched to another pill, clearly my body and my hormones didn't sync with Lutera."

momof3under3 March 19, 2016

"I have taken Lutera for about two years. I used to have awful period cramps, since I started this pill I haven't had any. I don't even remember what they feel like. Periods are super mild, I barley need anything. I never have acne. I have a breakout here and there, but that's life. My only complaint is that I gained weight. It makes me hungry constantly. I gained 10 lbs in two years. I could of kept off the weight if I watched what I ate and exercised more. Overall great pill. It's also very effective."

Ryzer (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2016

"I took this pill for a year and it worked really well although I sometimes missed 1-3 pills a month. The first half of the year didn't affect my mood that dramatically until later on. My boyfriend noticed that I was really irritated over little things and my depression almost made me hurt myself. I also realized that I felt very very angry at him for picking me up an hour late and I couldn't calm down. In my mind I knew it's okay and I wanted to forgive him, but the anger inside me didn't budge. It's a very effective pill but I have to change my dosage since it's putting me and my relationship in danger."

Roller coaster of emotions (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

"I've been on this birth control (still am) and I don't think it's doing good for my mental health. I've been taking it for 4-5 months and I don't feel the same. I used to be so happy and now I'm constantly crying and feeling down for no reason. Will be changing birth control because I feel like rubbish"

Girl from internet (16) (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

"I was taking Aviane before and transferred my prescription to a different pharmacy. There they gave me lutera since they did not have aviane... Worst experience of my life. Constant headaches and acne were the main symptoms right before my period. Extremely painful periods as well. If you are experiencing these symptoms while on lutera, I would highly recommend trying aviane. I do not have any headaches or acne and my periods are pain free."

ssalim786 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I've used about 3 different brands of birth control and this one is by far the worst. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. I took a break from pills for a couple months and when I started back up, I started using Lutera. I've been using it for 4-5 months and I feel horrible. I CAN say that It does a great job at protecting from birth and my periods haven't been a problem at all, but I feel horrible. I don't feel like myself at all. I feel disconnected/groggy almost all the time. My libido is completely gone now. Mood swings. I've been so unlike myself for the past few months so I've decided to stop taking them."

Allii February 17, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for almost a year now. I've been having birth control issues for about 2 years - first being on Mirena and having terrible cystic acne and depression, and then my doc recommended Lutera to add some hormones back into my system to help the acne. This is low dosage and although I've seen my cystic acne go away (besides some coming at the time of the month) I still break out daily. I wanted to try it for longer than a few months, and I have to say out of the entire year, about 2 months of it I had decent skin. I break out on my face, back and shoulders and I haven't had this bad of acne since high school. After high school, I was on Ortho trycyclen and the nuva ring. Both of those didn't make me break out at all. I'm 23, 145lb"

Gt3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016