User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I'm 23 and I've been taking Lutera for 2.5 years now. At first it was great, I didn't have any side effects except for mood swings now and then. But after 2 years I've lost my sex drive almost completely and have a lot of trouble with natural lubrication. I also have really dry eyes. At least I haven't gotten pregnant, I have an alarm to let me know to take it so I have never missed a pill and have taken it within the same 10 minute time frame every day. Today I ordered the Skyla after talking it through with my doctor and I can't wait to not have to remember to take a pill anymore."

Anonymous123456123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

"Developed severe depression and anxiety about a year after taking the pill."

Anonymous December 9, 2016

"I started taking Lutera in August of 2016. I am 19 years old. My periods have become so much less of a hassle! My previously debilitating back and stomach cramps have become significantly less painful. My flow is also much lighter and tapers off much quicker. My cycle is very regular now. As far as sex drive goes, I'm not sure what everyone is saying about loss, because if anything I've gained. I can't help myself (which obviously my boyfriend is totally okay with). I'm also not experiencing any problems with lack of natural lubrication. Though, both my sex drive and lubrication situation could be due to my age compared to other ladies on this page! I've also gained 0 lbs. while on Lutera!!"

I Love Lutera (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

"I've only been on it for a month but so far no negative experience. I have been spotting here and there for about a week or so but my actual period was so short compared to how it normally is! My periods are usually 6 to 7 days long and I experience heavy bleeding but on BC, it was much lighter and lasted about 4 days. I did experience some nausea the first week but none after that. No noticeable weight gain yet so so far, it's been pretty pleasant."

Brimon November 13, 2016

"I have been on Lutera now for 8 months and it has made a very positive difference in my life. This was my first time going on birth control, and it was originally because I had such horrible headaches and cramps, but now I have a lighter period, headaches and cramps are rare, and I don't get depressed every month. Overall, it has worked really well for me. Only downside is having to remember to take it at the same time every day...and for the first week or two I just felt a little off and had some headaches and breast tenderness. Everyone is different, but after my experience, would recommend Lutera."

nr38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2016

"I developed severe anxiety whIle on lutera. It was terrible."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2016

"As a disclaimer, I have not taken birth control for over ten years. That said, I decided it would be the right choice with a new partner in tow. The first week I started Lutera, I experienced dryness around my lips. As I entered week two, I began experiencing dryness around the labia. The change in hormones affected me adversely as I became irritable and anxious for no reason apparent. It became very clear the pill was thinning the walls of my vagina and natural lubrication disappeared when I had normal intercourse with my partner and I was torn inside. I experienced quite a bit of tearing and consequent bleeding from those rips. I remained on the pill for a full month. My lips progressively became more dry and cracked."

Extreme dryness (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2016

"Hi everyone! I started taking Lutera 3 months ago. I have to say, I was tremendously reluctant to try this birth control after reading some of the horrifying reviews. My main concern, if I'm being honest, was weight gain. I lost 60 pounds by eating healthy and exercising but I am someone who gains weight rather quickly so it was definitely a concern for me. Here's a little back story: I've been on a few birth controls from ages 14-25. I initially began taking BC to help with my cramps. I decided to take a break after being on it for 10 years. In the past year, I have been experiencing excruciating cramps to the point where I was vomiting and calling out of work. I'm a pain tolerant person but my cramps were unbearable on day 1 and 2. I went to my gyno and she suggested I start birth control. Enter Lutera. The first week I was feeling slightly nauseous when I would first take Lutera. I decided to eat a large snack or small meal with it and that helped the nausea. I also noticed that I had awful mood swings for about 2 weeks. I would be laughing one minute and crying the next. I even called my gyno within the first week to see if I could switch birth controls, especially given the reviews I had read. She insisted that I stay on for at least one month, and if I still felt the same, we could switch it. I'm glad I listened. The nausea and mood swings went away. I have not experienced any weight gain. I've actually lost weight. As I mentioned before, I gain weight easily and fast so I am always mindful of what I'm putting into my body. I haven't experienced weight gain but I also try to eat well and exercise regularly {this is something we should all be doing anyway}. I haven't experienced acne or depression or anxiety while on Lutera. My periods are shorter and much lighter {about 3-4 days vs 6-7} and my cramps are not nearly as bad as they were. The only thing I've noticed on Lutera is that my boobs are pretty sensitive and my sex drive is slightly decreased but no more than what I had experienced on other BCs. I'm writing this review because I was one of the people who read these reviews and was SCARED + STRESSED to try Lutera. I'm glad that I listened to the medical professional who prescribed the BC {I voiced my concerns ahead of time} instead of listening to reviews online. I will also add that every body is different but I wanted to share my experience in hopes that it puts you at ease. I haven't experienced the symptoms that many people discuss in the negative reviews. Again, we are all different so I can't speak for everyone. I would imagine that medical history and your daily habits would have an effect on any medication you take. I would give it a try for AT LEAST a month and make an informed decision then."

Healthyhappyld (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

"I'm reasonably satisfied with Lutera. My chief concern with oral birth control has been emotional side effects (feeling SO CRAZY), and I really cannot tell any difference at all in my mental health or emotional state when taking Lutera. It's not a perfect fit still, as I cramp way more on the last 2-3 days of 'white pills' than I ever have, though the cramps are mild. I've also noticed breast tenderness. But for me the worst effect is that I have had about zero sex drive in the 4 months I've been taking Lutera. That's been a major drag."

SCnative (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

"Tried Ortho Tri Cyclene, I was so mentally and physically sick I had to stop on the 12th pill. Have been on Lutera now for 4 1/2 months. I've been in a chronic depression/anxiety for the past 2 months. The first 2 months were great. I'm also on other meds so I'm not sure if this is the cause. Also have lost a lot of hair :("

crazygirl66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

"Overall a good birth control to take. I have been using for 3 months and period is lighter with no cramps, don't get mood swings just a little sensitive a day before period. First few weeks I felt nauseous in mornings an head aches on and off but then they went away. No weight gain so far, boobs got a little bigger. A downside is I have been breaking out when usually I have no acne at all. So far very reliable because not pregnant"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

"Do not take it! I was recently misdiagnosed with PMDD Bc I was having severe mood swings, headaches, anxiety, depression etc. Bc of those effects my OB put me on SSRI's on top of this birth control diagnosing me with PMDD. Only to find out months later that those and the Lutera were literally making me crazy. I was taken to the ER when I had a severe panic attack the other day and followed up with my primary Doctor. She took me off the anti depressants and also took me off Lutera explaining Lutera was the cause to it all. That I more than likely do not have PMDD and that I should have been given a different birth control by my OB long ago instead of misdiagnosis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for over 2 years now. when I first started taking it I had some mood swings, but now I'm ok. I'm changing my birth control because I feel like it affected my sex life. I hardly get in the mood. My doctor is switching it to Yaz. Hopefully that would work better. If it wasn't for the affect of Lutera on my sex life I wouldn't have changed it at all."

SportGal93 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2016

"So far it's been over 2 weeks on Lutera and I like it. I only had a headache and slightly nauseous on the first day of taking the pill and after that I was fine. My skin is clear (I didn't have acne before either though), I have no mood swings & no spotting. My energy level is the same as before I took the pill. I have no weight gain either. Overall I am very pleased with this pill. In the past I have taken Orthotricyclen and it made me slightly nauseous and I had some light spotting if I took a pill later than usual. I hope this review helps someone. Just keep in mind everyone is different and their body reacts differently to bc pills."

Judge Truth (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

"I've been on the pill for about 8 years now. doc recommended lutera, I was too young to know the difference/shop around for alternatives, but overall I am very satisfied. most importantly, I'm writing this review as someone who went off of lutera for three months to see what effects it would have on my body. one overwhelming difference I noticed was in my energy levels... I was exhausted ALL the time. I was on a high-iron vegan diet, eating healthy all the time, and getting decent sleep, so the culprit was obvious. being back on lutera for only two days made a huge difference. also my sex drive was WAY too high when I went off of it! to the point where it was a daily inconvenience. now it's back to normal. no significant weight changes."

AQZ (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2016

"I've been taking Lutera tablets for about a month now. I've never felt this bad. Everyday I feel nauseas, weak, headaches, heart palpitations and somewhat down. I've been a lot more sensitive with things that I would normally be able to handle without a hassle. I feel dizzy and weak most of the day and with two kids to care for, we all know that it doesn't matter if we are sick; we still have to be responsible and care for them. I am waiting on my doctor to call me back tmrw to see if it's best that I switch to a lighter dosage or to my previous birth control pills, to which I had no side effects with. Hopes this helps someone out there. God bless you!!!"

Valeria 33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

"This is the first birth control pill I ever took. I was on it for 3 years and overall it was a very good experience. It helped clear up my acne, although during stressful times I still would get some small breakouts. My periods were much lighter, I didn't gain any weight, in fact, I lost 20 lb which was nice. I never got pregnant. My only complaint is that it did kill my sex drive, which was annoying. I'm about to start Trinessa to see if this remedies the problem, but if Trinessa ends up being problematic, I will definitely switch back to Lutera."

Maddie31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for a year and I literally renewed my prescription today. It's so good that I'm scared to try anything else. I don't have any side effects. If anything else it has calmed me down a bit (I'm really emotional/anxious) I haven't had any weight gain or anything crazy. Would recommend to anyone who is interested in trying birth control."

Tiffany J (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2016

"I just started Lutera a month ago, but so far I am very happy with it. I put off going on birth control for years because I'm a sensitive person and thought that I'd surely be the type of person to react negatively to the hormones. However, since starting I feel great! I feel even-keeled and happy, and did not experience the usual intense mood swings and food cravings of my cycle. My period is light and I hardly experienced any cramping (in the past, I've had to miss work because I've been in so much pain). My boobs are a little tender and I do notice brown discharge/some spotting, but I haven't experienced any truly negative side effects. I'm really happy with Lutera and wish I had made the decision to go on it years ago!"

jcrewen77 August 15, 2016

"My 16 yr-old daughter started using it. For a few days she was ok. Things soon changed however and the rest of the 2 months she was on it were horrendous. She is usually a very happy, optimistic and easy-going person. She became highly irritable, having frequent outbursts of anger over seemingly nothing. Her boyfriend, my husband and I were walking on eggshells around her constantly, as it seemed anything would set her off. She broke up with her boyfriend 3 times during that time, which she had never done before. I was super scared and wondered what was going on. It took us a little while to realize it was probably the Lutera, and we took her off it as soon as we were able to convince her it was clearly unhealthy for her."

Tewa August 15, 2016

"I have been on Lutera for over a year, and I love it. I'm shocked to see so many bad reviews but i guess everyone's body reacts differently so I'd just keep an open mind! I have very light, short periods, I'm no more moody than I would normally be, and haven't gained any weight. I have used other pills in the past that made me very moody and depressed and worsened my PMS symptoms but this really evened me out. the only thing I'm wondering is if this is why i have persistent acne, it never occurred to me until recently because all doctors I've asked just say oh good you're on bc that should be helping. Even if it is the cause of my acne i'm not sure i would switch because it works that good for me."

em225 August 12, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for around a year and I think it's a great birth control. My periods are usually pretty light, but one thing I've noticed is that I get brown discharge quite often (no I don't have STD's). My doctor told me that Lutera would be a better birth control for me because it has a lower dose of hormones than many other birth controls since I've had bad experiences with others. I've had no weight gain, and have actually lost around 40lbs since I switched from the Depo shot to Lutera. I recommend it!"

Courtney j August 2, 2016

"I have been taking Lutera up for almost two full months n Now. I would not recommend this pill to my worst enemy I have been bleeding since day one it started out with new blood and now for the last month it's been dried up brown old blood this is not what I signed up for. It's doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be doing lightning your period and cramps. My Obgyn says to stick it out for 3 months but screw him. He's not bleeding for an entire month so why should I suffer. Wouldn't recommend this pill."

Cluv09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2016

"I love Lutera. I am very sensitive to other forms of birth control. Lutera has been one of the only kinds I can take. Pros: light periods, no cramping, no intense side effects, bigger boobs. Cons: Brown periods, slight weight gain. I also tend to get a bit emotional 1 or 2 days before my period....however I am always an emotional person so this could just be me. I have been on Lutera for 6 years ☺"

Akirish (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2016

"I am highly surprised at all the negative reviews of this pill. It's in unfortunate that so many women have had a negative experience with this. As for me, this is by far one of the best birth control pills I have ever taken. I started taking this three months ago as a form of cycle control. I skipped the placebo pills for the last three months. Honestly, I haven't had any issues with mood swings's, in fact I felt happier which is an interesting side effect. Normally when I start a pill pack, the first three days are extremely nauseating. With this pillpack, I did not have any nausea. I also had an extremely high sex drive. Based on my experience I would recommend them to a friend. Glad I didn't Read the reviews first or else I would've turned them down. Keep an open mind everybody's body will react differently."

Jamie Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016