User Reviews for Lutera

Lutera Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 268 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I used Lutera for a little over 2 years to stop my periods. Unfortunately it has stopped working and I've been having lots of break through bleeding. In fact, I start bleeding only 1 week after taking the placebo pills."

Leah (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2018

"I'm convinced this birth control is causing my depression and weight gain. Before the pill I was very irregular with my periods. But never even had a lot of symptoms either. Half the time I wouldn't even get a period, so thats why I went on the pill. I had also started a very serious relationship. I looked forward to regulating my period and also having another form of contraceptive. But I've had worse periods since starting. Cramps, terrible mood swings, no urge for sex. Just awful :("

Brenda (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

"I've been on Lutera for 7 years and never had issue with it. I had tried about three or so other pills prior (can't remember those names) and had issues with acne, weight, hormones and so on in one form or another. Lutera was something I stumbled on for price purposes and ended up loving it. It helps maintain my weight and doesn't have any side effects, at least for me. Once I got married, I figured I'd try the depot shot... two injections, 15 pounds more and a whole lot of hormones later, I've decided to go back to Lutera. A pill a day never bothered me anyway!"

Cam (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2018

"I was on this pill for 1-2 years, recently I just decided to do away with it. At first I thought it was something wrong with me but now that I’m off it I know it was the pill causing this. On the pill I would have horrible headaches (almost everyday), hot flashes, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness -this was the WORSE... when I felt it coming I would need to sit down immediately! I would start feeling hot, I couldn’t stand up, and my vision would go completely white. So many things happened on this pill but to say the least, dizziness and headaches is what I experienced the MOST. The side affects just weren’t worth it, now that I’m off it a lot of the side affects have vanished and I feel like I have more energy. For the birth control concept though it did its job. Also with my period it’s always been heavy, I've seen some people saying it’s made theirs lighter but mine was still heavy as usual. Overall I wouldn’t go back on this pill."

Brenda April 6, 2018

"I was only on Lutera birth control pill for a week and it was enough to stop taking them. The first side effect that I experience were headaches and stomach cramps that went from bad to worse and it caused me restless nights. I also experienced nausea, fatigue, blurry vision when my contacts were in, loss of appetite, and change in mood. I’m getting married this week and I was happy before I started taking these pills. I’m getting married in 24hrs and now I feel completely depressed and I’m crying for no reason at all. They say it goes away after 3 months but there is no way I am going to feel this way or worse for 3 months. The side effects from Lutera is not worth taking it I am calling the doctor today and getting off of it."

Worse experience I’ve ever had (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

"I used this birth control for about two years and began suffering from migraines after the first year. I got them every other day. They were so severe I had to go to the emergency room on multiple occasions. I saw my PCP who took me off of it due to increased risk of stroke. I have now been off of it for 3 weeks and haven’t had one headache and my clinical depression seems to be decreased. The only negative side effect of not being on lutera anymore is an increased amount of acne which is manageable. I wish I had known it was causing my headaches and I would have gone off of it sooner. It also turns out my sister was on the same medication when she used to suffer from migraines while she was in middle/high school. If anyone is getting severe headaches and takes lutera, I highly recommend talking to your doctor for different options. I will be getting nexplanon soon."

lilacskies February 21, 2018

"It is the only pill I have ever been put on and has never caused issues. This pill has made my period very short. I start sugar pills Monday, start my period Wednesday afternoon and end by Saturday evening. No mood issues, no added cramping. When I first started the only side effect I had was some vaginal dryness that lasted about a year or two and has gone away since. My husband and I have definitely tested its effectiveness and have been having unprotected sex the entire time I've been on it and no pregnancy scares. I've been given a few generics, Alese, Avianne mostly and no issues. I did once receive a generic from my pharmacy that was just the drug name (Ethinyl estradiol-levonorgestrel) and did have a bad reaction to that."

KTLope (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2018

"I have been on this for a few years and I've always been very happy. However, my pharmacy has stopped carrying it so they switched me to Aviane. I took Aviane for two months and convinced my pharmacy to give me the last of their Lutera so I am back on that again. I don't know if Aviane increased my sex drive or if Lutera was decreasing it, but there was a definite difference when I have switched back and forth. However, my periods are so light and so short on Lutera that I love it! Lower sex drive, but I can have sex more often, I'll take that I guess!"

coco22222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2017

"I've been taking lutera for 6 years now. I really love these pills. I have never had any bad side effects while taking these. Before I started taking lutera my periods were horrible. I used to have debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding, nausea, and vomiting on the 1st day of every period. With lutera my periods last about 3-4 days with little to no cramping. Also, I've been having unprotected sex with my significant other for almost 5 years now and I have never gotten pregnant. I'm extremely nervous though because I went to pick up my bc pills today & was told that they are no longer making lutera. I was given some pills called aviane. I'm just hoping that these pills will give me the same results as lutera did."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2017

"I absolutely hate this pill! I take it everyday but I thought I was pregnant. I'm sick, my mood is horrible, I'm exhausted. I will say it's helping with my acne and increasing my appetite (I'm thin so of course I want to eat more) but other than that it's a no for this pill for me. My period is lighter and shorter but everything else makes me miserable. My boyfriend hates being around me because I'm so moody. I couldn't explain why. I need to find another option. My sex drive actually increased but it's still a no bueno for me."

TLM87 September 7, 2017

"I had been on Lutera for a little less than 3 years. I never experienced drastic mood swings, weight gain or acne. My periods were way lighter and less painful than before I started lutera. Before birth control, I would throw up and be in uncontrollable pain for the first two days. Now I have mild cramps on day one and that's it. When I went to pick up my prescription last week, I was given Aviane instead of Lutera and I am PRAYING that nothing changes."

AresiaR August 20, 2017

"I have been on Lutera (generic for Aviane) for about a year now. Since my last birth control caused extreme moodiness, decrease in sex drive, Lutera was a lot better with those side effects. My moods were a lot better, was not depressed and angry all the time like the last birth control. My sex drive was "ok" it wasn't completely decreased but it could have been better considering I am 19. Lutera also caused an increased appetite and caused acne on my face when I never have gotten serious acne before... Overall, the birth control pill was ok... still in search for the right one for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2017

"I love this birth control. I was on Microgestin for almost a year but I started to develop unpleasant symptoms around my time of the month so I switched. When I get my period now, I bleed maybe 3 or 4 days and only experience some mild back pain. I rarely cramp or get bloated. After the first two days are over, it's almost as if I'm not even on my period. The acne I got from the other birth control has cleared up also. I've been blessed with light periods all my life but this birth control seems to work very well with me."

Sarah91 July 31, 2017

"I love this birth control! I was on Lo(lo) and I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. Then I gained 20 pounds on this B.C. But I always got my period clear skin everything is all good but I can't lose the weight! I'm 5'6 I used to weigh 145-150 now I'm 198-200 due to this B.C. My doc is now giving me to try YAZ very scared I don't know if I rather be fat or get a blood clot."

Crownlynn (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2017

"I took this pills for 8 months and once I stopped taking it, acne suddenly became my biggest problem and half year later, I was diagnosed as PCOS and my doctor told me that I had to take birth control pills again! It is really tricky that a med used for curing an illness seemed the one that also lead me to this illness( My period was very regular in the past ten years before I took this pills) . I switch to other brands anyway."

Tracy C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

"I've been on Lutera for 5 months now and I absolutely love it! I was very hesitant to ever get on birth control because you never know how hormones will affect your body. Lucky for me, never any spotting or random bleeding, took my PMS symptoms from severe to barely there... Cramps? I used to cry and puke for my first 2 days and now that time of the month isn't affecting my job and life. Weight gain? I was a very unhealthy 77lbs before I started this. My doctor explained the pill itself does not cause weight gain, but increases your appetite and helps slow metabolism. I am now 95lbs. I also suffer from anxiety and mild bipolar disorder, so I was worried this pill would make my symptoms worse, but I'm happy and healthy as could be right now!"

MissMayRenae (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

"I have taken this pills for 3 months this has turned out to be the worst birth control pills I have gained 20 pounds on it without changing my diet I have had anxiety, no energy, severe bloating I spot in between periods I'll be switching back to my old birth control $30 per month copay this ones were covered at 100% but not worth it"

Gnunez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

"After I took lutera, within an hour I would feel a rush of fatigue and want to sleep. I would end up taking two, three hour long naps- which threw off my sleep cycle. My breasts hurt, and I was extremely aggressive during my month on this pill. Toward the end I started spotting the 4th day of the third week, and I am on the 3rd day of my period week- and so far I have been spotting for 7 days. My acne got worse, when this was supposed to help. I did not experience bleeding at first. Wouldn't recommend this pill. I am switching to Yaz."

adrey (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

"Negatives of this pill: Rapid weight gain (I gained 30 pounds and my diet was the same as it has always been and prior to birth control pills I've never had problems with weight gain) While I already suffer from anxiety and depression, taking this pill had doubled that. Almost everyday I felt depressed and angry and sad. I've had so many breakdowns it was tiring. Now that I am off it for a couple of weeks, I feel much more calmness and peace of mind. There's no doubt that the hormones in this pill had something to do with it. Do not take this back to back (skipping inactive week) when I did this my legs swelled up and hurt, and I couldn't stand for long periods of time and also had constant spotting and cramps. Always had breast tenderness"

Shelly_Aguilar June 12, 2017

"I was on lutera for 7 months. First months was ok. I had really sore and enlarged breast but I thought it was normal since my body was adjusting to the birth control. On the 4th month I had anxiety and I kept brushing it off because I thought it came from work stress by the 5th and 6th month I had anxiety almost every single day! I went to the doc and they gave me anxiety meds and antidepressants. Didn't take the antidepressants because when I took one pill made me so sick! I kept on struggling with anxiety and depression. It's hard to go to work, hang with family and my boyfriend when you have depression. I got off lutera last Friday and I still feel depressed and anxious. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I start feeling normal again."

Silvs17 June 3, 2017

"I've been on my fair share of generic prescriptions for birth control. And I also prefer to take the pill form ONLY. Lutera was the forth one I have been on, but only the second generic brand. And I for one am NOT a fan. Had spotting for an entire month and a half when I first swapped to this pill, and I also didn't have a period after the first two packs (due to the spotting). I have gotten 5 migraines in the second month (migraines are rare for me) and everyday I would have a mild headache, it was annoying, also I've felt dizzy right with my headache. It was hard to stay focused at work. On my third pack I wasn't spotting at all, but that's also when I received my 1st period. The cramps were excruciatingly intense I'm 29 so this says a lot"

Theflash87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

"I've been bleeding for days ever since I started using lutera and it won't stop, it's been 2 weeks"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

"I love this birth control! I've tried several others (Lo Loestrin, etc.), but this product has been remarkably consistent for me with few, if any, side effects. Occasionally if I miss a pill by more than a few hours I might have some spotting, and on the first day I take the pill I sometimes have a slight headache and find myself a little moodier, but honestly, compared to the other products, which have given me acne, mood swings, nausea, and other problems, I would take the few mild symptoms from this product in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!"

Skathlee (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2017

"I have been on Lutera for 8 months. It has made my period super consistent; it always comes on the same day or the day after. My period lasts about 5 days; not much different from when I was not on the pill. I have not had any spotting. I get cramps occasionally the first day or two on my period, but the cramps are not as bad as they used to be and not as frequent. I have not had any bad side effects except for occasional bloating, acne flare-up around when I'm getting my period, and some mood swings. Overall, I am pleased, so do not be afraid to try this kind; however, birth control affects every one differently so you may have a completely different experience than me!"

bglk April 26, 2017

"I started taking Lutera in late 2012 early 2013. As much as I can remember the only side effect I had in the beginning were cramps. Horrible cramps. Only for two periods. First one I was hunched over crying. Second one was the same but the cramps would come and go in waves. I left work early because I was in tears and hunched over again. I got home and felt the urge to push. So I went to the bathroom and pushed out this clot the size of my palm. Not even joking. Omg I thought I was dying. After that second time I never had cramps like that again. Over the years my sex drive went down & spotted between periods. So my dr had me switch. Overall. I love Lutera and would definitely use it again if given the chance."

Lovely LuLu April 20, 2017