User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 258 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I have taken this pills for 3 months this has turned out to be the worst birth control pills I have gained 20 pounds on it without changing my diet I have had anxiety, no energy, severe bloating I spot in between periods I'll be switching back to my old birth control $30 per month copay this ones were covered at 100% but not worth it"

Gnunez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After I took lutera, within an hour I would feel a rush of fatigue and want to sleep. I would end up taking two, three hour long naps- which threw off my sleep cycle. My breasts hurt, and I was extremely aggressive during my month on this pill. Toward the end I started spotting the 4th day of the third week, and I am on the 3rd day of my period week- and so far I have been spotting for 7 days. My acne got worse, when this was supposed to help. I did not experience bleeding at first. Wouldn't recommend this pill. I am switching to Yaz."

adrey (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Negatives of this pill: Rapid weight gain (I gained 30 pounds and my diet was the same as it has always been and prior to birth control pills I've never had problems with weight gain) While I already suffer from anxiety and depression, taking this pill had doubled that. Almost everyday I felt depressed and angry and sad. I've had so many breakdowns it was tiring. Now that I am off it for a couple of weeks, I feel much more calmness and peace of mind. There's no doubt that the hormones in this pill had something to do with it. Do not take this back to back (skipping inactive week) when I did this my legs swelled up and hurt, and I couldn't stand for long periods of time and also had constant spotting and cramps. Always had breast tenderness"

Shelly_Aguilar June 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on lutera for 7 months. First months was ok. I had really sore and enlarged breast but I thought it was normal since my body was adjusting to the birth control. On the 4th month I had anxiety and I kept brushing it off because I thought it came from work stress by the 5th and 6th month I had anxiety almost every single day! I went to the doc and they gave me anxiety meds and antidepressants. Didn't take the antidepressants because when I took one pill made me so sick! I kept on struggling with anxiety and depression. It's hard to go to work, hang with family and my boyfriend when you have depression. I got off lutera last Friday and I still feel depressed and anxious. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I start feeling normal again."

Silvs17 June 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on my fair share of generic prescriptions for birth control. And I also prefer to take the pill form ONLY. Lutera was the forth one I have been on, but only the second generic brand. And I for one am NOT a fan. Had spotting for an entire month and a half when I first swapped to this pill, and I also didn't have a period after the first two packs (due to the spotting). I have gotten 5 migraines in the second month (migraines are rare for me) and everyday I would have a mild headache, it was annoying, also I've felt dizzy right with my headache. It was hard to stay focused at work. On my third pack I wasn't spotting at all, but that's also when I received my 1st period. The cramps were excruciatingly intense I'm 29 so this says a lot"

Theflash87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been bleeding for days ever since I started using lutera and it won't stop, it's been 2 weeks"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love this birth control! I've tried several others (Lo Loestrin, etc.), but this product has been remarkably consistent for me with few, if any, side effects. Occasionally if I miss a pill by more than a few hours I might have some spotting, and on the first day I take the pill I sometimes have a slight headache and find myself a little moodier, but honestly, compared to the other products, which have given me acne, mood swings, nausea, and other problems, I would take the few mild symptoms from this product in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!"

Skathlee (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Lutera for 8 months. It has made my period super consistent; it always comes on the same day or the day after. My period lasts about 5 days; not much different from when I was not on the pill. I have not had any spotting. I get cramps occasionally the first day or two on my period, but the cramps are not as bad as they used to be and not as frequent. I have not had any bad side effects except for occasional bloating, acne flare-up around when I'm getting my period, and some mood swings. Overall, I am pleased, so do not be afraid to try this kind; however, birth control affects every one differently so you may have a completely different experience than me!"

bglk April 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lutera in late 2012 early 2013. As much as I can remember the only side effect I had in the beginning were cramps. Horrible cramps. Only for two periods. First one I was hunched over crying. Second one was the same but the cramps would come and go in waves. I left work early because I was in tears and hunched over again. I got home and felt the urge to push. So I went to the bathroom and pushed out this clot the size of my palm. Not even joking. Omg I thought I was dying. After that second time I never had cramps like that again. Over the years my sex drive went down & spotted between periods. So my dr had me switch. Overall. I love Lutera and would definitely use it again if given the chance."

Lovely LuLu April 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just renewed my prescription today so I have been on Lutera for a year. I consider myself a low maintenance person and Lutera fits well into keeping me that way. I have not noticed barely anything changing while I am on it except I went up a cup size. I don't necessarily like that, but my periods are normal and it has worked to prevent pregnancy. I take it at 10pm every night. I don't have any complaints and have been truly satisfied with he results especially because my insurance covers the cost 100%."

Rebs13 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I dislike Lutera. I got a new doctor so this is her go to so I said alrighty. I've been on it for over 6 months. My period never regulated with it. Some months I have 2 periods within 3 weeks, and I spot whenever. I gained a lot of weight, about 15lbs and my boobs gained cup size- doesn't sound bad but it's weird. I also have been very sad and just in a low mood. I'm trying a new birth control this month and I cannot wait. I didn't get pregnant though?"

Messijessi April 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Lutera for 3 years and it was awesome! My cramps were mild, my periods were only few days long and lighter. I wasn't emotional and out of control. I felt normal. I didn't gain weight. This is a great pill to try!"

Mama1414 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started it a month and half ago and I am experiencing really bad headaches and stomach aches, but this I believe is quite normal when you start out on birth control. But one thing is my acne. (Or red spots) I had really good clear skin with an occasional breakout maybe a couple times a month, but nothing bad at all. And now that I'm taking lutera, I've formed these really itchy red spots all over my cheeks and forehead. It feels and looks like cystic acne and I hate it. I'm considering switching."

Skyelight (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Gildess Fe for years and loved it so much, but unfortunately it is now discontinued, so my doctor put me on Lutera. The first pack of Lutera was miserable. I am the happiest person, and this pill put me a bad mood all the time. Literally everything pissed me off. I feel like I'm going through puberty all over again (in every possible way). Also, my periods on this pill last for 9 days when it usually lasts for 3. The biggest complaint I have is how it's affected my relationship with my boyfriend of 9 years. We have not had sex in a month because I have zero sex drive. I just finished my third pack and will be switching to Microgestin on Sunday."

Jennaf April 4, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Its pretty good working but what most of these people are doing wrong is your supposed to eat before you take the pill or you will possibly get pukey just remember that but would recommend"

ChloeBBB March 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm not certain how I should typically feel being on a pill, since this is my first time. It's been 5 days and last night was the worst. I take my pill about 12 pm everyday but towards the end of the day I'm feeling so nauseous, also developed a lot of headaches; which is not normal for me and, there was some tenderness in my breasts. Not sure how to feel or if I should change pill to a lower dosage of estrogen!!"

Suci February 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Lutera over a yr now and it has been a great pill. I have had NO weight gain and in fact lost a few pants sizes. It has cleared my face of breakouts, except an occasional pimple or 2 around the time of my period. I was informed of a manufacturer change a couple months ago and have noticed some changes. I get stomach cramps a week before my period, been overly tired and been craving sweets when I normally don't like them. And one of my recent periods I stayed nauseous with no appetite and slept every chance I got. Not sure if this is due to being in the process of changing jobs, pms, or the new manufacturer. If it is the new manufacturer, will get my obgyn to switch me."

Cobalt babe February 24, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started it yesterday and so far I puked. Then today I took it and felt sick and about to puke again."

Anonymous February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for about 4 months. I do get nauseous taking it. My appetite seems to have decreased but I've gained a lot of weight on it. I do get headaches more often and for some reason I get constipated as well"

Kensters (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've literally been taking Lutera for three days now, and I HATE IT. My back hurts so unbelievable bad I can barely walk, I'm so nauseous, tired, terribly tired all the time and I already have period cramps. I'm hesitant to stay on this for a few months because I know it hasn't fully adjusted with me yet, but at the same time this back pain is not something I'm gonna be able to handle everyday. My back never used to hurt, and now I finally get what people mean when they say "my back hurts so bad I can't breath" "

Tesshart January 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went back on the pill in the fall of 2016, I didn't experience any nausea like I did with previous pills which was great. Then 3 months later my pill was switched to Lutera, and my pharmacist told me it was the same thing I was taking just different packaging. I then started getting UTIs (which i never had before), severe anxiety, and hair loss( clumps were coming out in the shower!), and spotted a week before my period. I had no idea what was happening and the doctors I went to were of no help. Finally after a few months I went off Lutera to see if it was the culprit. All those symptoms went away after a couple weeks."

Rachel (27) January 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 23 and I've been taking Lutera for 2.5 years now. At first it was great, I didn't have any side effects except for mood swings now and then. But after 2 years I've lost my sex drive almost completely and have a lot of trouble with natural lubrication. I also have really dry eyes. At least I haven't gotten pregnant, I have an alarm to let me know to take it so I have never missed a pill and have taken it within the same 10 minute time frame every day. Today I ordered the Skyla after talking it through with my doctor and I can't wait to not have to remember to take a pill anymore."

Anonymous123456123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed severe depression and anxiety about a year after taking the pill."

Anonymous December 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lutera in August of 2016. I am 19 years old. My periods have become so much less of a hassle! My previously debilitating back and stomach cramps have become significantly less painful. My flow is also much lighter and tapers off much quicker. My cycle is very regular now. As far as sex drive goes, I'm not sure what everyone is saying about loss, because if anything I've gained. I can't help myself (which obviously my boyfriend is totally okay with). I'm also not experiencing any problems with lack of natural lubrication. Though, both my sex drive and lubrication situation could be due to my age compared to other ladies on this page! I've also gained 0 lbs. while on Lutera!!"

I Love Lutera (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on it for a month but so far no negative experience. I have been spotting here and there for about a week or so but my actual period was so short compared to how it normally is! My periods are usually 6 to 7 days long and I experience heavy bleeding but on BC, it was much lighter and lasted about 4 days. I did experience some nausea the first week but none after that. No noticeable weight gain yet so so far, it's been pretty pleasant."

Brimon November 13, 2016