User Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

Lutera Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera

Anonymous February 25, 2020

“I’m on my first month of using lutera and so far I’ve had no major side effects. The only side effect I’ve noticed the first week was a little mild cramping but other than that this birth control has been good to me :)”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

“Month 4 on Lutera. The past two months I’ve had nausea, cramps in my abdomen, fatigue, and HAIR LOSS for the two weeks leading up to my period. This is highly upsetting as the drug does a good job of preventing pregnancy and reducing pain from cramps. I’ve had light period flows for the first time in my life while using this drug. It sucks that I somehow traded that comfort during my period for two weeks of discomfort. I’ve also developed a larger appetite and gained a few pounds which is not a big deal to me personally. This definitely isn’t for me.”

F February 14, 2020

“Lutera is the best BC I’ve ever used. I’ve been using it for over a year and it’s been amazing. No major side effects. The first couple weeks I did feel like it was causing my heart to beat really fast and I had minor stomach aches. But after that, everything was smooth sailing. No spotting. I’ve previously taken other BC pills that made me depressed, caused spotting, and gave me annoying blunt cramps every day except the placebo week. Literally a nightmare. But Lutera took away my period cramps completely and I only bleed for 2-3 days now. I’ve never really had bad acne but would usually get a pimple or 2 during PMS, but I haven’t had one pimple since I started on Lutera. No bloating, no impact to my sex drive. No period cramps. Clear skin. AND NO PREGNANCIES! I’ll probably take this pill for the rest of my life. Very satisfied”

PetPal · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2020

“I can't wait to get off this drug again! About a year ago I started having sore muscles, fatigue, muscle weakness, and migraine headaches 2-5 times a month. I don't have insurance (I had been buying Lutera and other BC's online) so I paid over $500 to see a doctor and get labs done; I was healthy as a mutt. They put me on a $80/month medication for fibromyalgia pain and for 3 months things seemed better. I had a theory that the Lutera was causing the menstrual migraine and the resuming the pills migraine so I quit taking them for 3 months and I was right! I weaned myself off the fibro meds (had sexual side effects) and felt great. Two weeks ago I resumed Lutera because we had a pregnancy scare and voilà: a migraine right off the bat and 4 days ago my muscles started burning, the extreme fatigue, etc came back. Been on over 6 different types of BC since '04 and never had this issue and it never helped my acne. Only bonus is we don't have a pregnancy.”

Karma · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

“I'm on my 3rd pack of Lutera and I haven't gotten pregnant, but I suffer from anxiety and depression and these pills have absolutely increased that by 10. My sex drive has plummeted and I’m unmotivated to the extent that I stay in my bed several days in row. I’ve also have been experiencing a lot of abnormal bleeding. Keep in mind that it is only my third month and everyone is different. The pill does the job of me not getting pregnant, but I am more concerned about my mental health at this point.”

XoParis · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“(21yr female, 104lbs, no kids) I’m going on my third week using Lutera birth control and so far I have had no major complications! The first week on the pill I noticed minor (but bare -able) side effects. My second day on the pill I had a slight headache that wasn’t very bad. In the first week I also experienced a bit of nausea however it did not result in any vomiting. I also experienced minor bloating that kind of resembled the feeling of very very mild period cramps. The bloating did not hurt but felt a little uncomfortable as if there was a lot of pressure in my lower stomach. I have not experienced any spotting/bleeding, weight gain, mood swings, soreness or acne thus far while using Lutera. So far I am satisfied with the performance of Lutera.”

didn’t work out too well · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2019

“Lutera is a great birth control in terms of no moodiness or other severe side effects. My boobs did get bigger and did gain some weight (healthy weight around my hips and butt) but my acne did not clear up. I also broke out in hives throughout the four months I have been taking it.”

Rea December 20, 2019

“I just moved to the United States and now I needed new birth control and honestly I tried lutera and it worked amazing . My old birth control was the worst so I was skeptical about trying lutera but with the new birth control I had no mood swings I did not break out in fact it cleared my acne tremendously . I only need birth control to control my period and not break out and it worked amazing”

Am December 20, 2019

“I experienced hives , migraines, back pain, breast pain, worst birth control I’ve taken.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

“Llutera is the first birth control I ever tried and I love it. Honestly, the reason I never went on BC before was because I was so afraid of weight gain, I’ve even had friends who’ve suffered from weight gain (I’m talking 10+ lbs) from birth control, as well as friends who aren’t able to lose weight from birth control even with diet and exercise. So, even after picking up the Lutera I was reluctant to take it. But I figured that I’d try it and if I hated it I’d just finish out the month and stop it. All I can say is this has been the best thing ever! I broke out the first few days and noticed bloating for about a month but my body adjust and I feel great. I was also a little more emotional the first week or so but I have no weight gain, no mood swing and no acne, on top of taking a lot of wording off my shoulders. I know that everyone’s body is different so this might not be the one for everyone but I would definitely recommend it!”

AT · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2019

“I've been on this birth control Lutera for 4 months now. I don't have any complains about it! My skin is actually clearer than when I started, though my skin care routine is the same. I haven't gained any weight, had any nausea, mood swings, or depression. I'm a type 1 diabetic as well and it hasn't affected my blood sugars at all.”

Goinginsane · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“I’ve been on birth control for over 6 years. I started with the depo (did that for 2 years) and stopped because I was bleeding constantly and then I had Skyla (IUD) (I had it for 3 1/2 years) and had no problems but had to get it removed because it wasn’t going to be effective anymore. I decided to give the pill a shot and I started taking Vienva in April of this year and I did notice that I was more emotional and my libido declined a bit. The company that provides me with birth control switched my pills to Lutera. I’ve been taking it for a little over two months and a half and I feel like I’m going insane. I started having irrational dark thoughts and I break down crying all the time. Also, my sex drive has had a huge decline. I’m a mess, I don’t feel like myself, I can’t take it anymore. With all that said I decided to stop taking the pill, yesterday was my last day and I hope I feel back to normal soon. My mental heath is more important.”

Did not like this pill at all November 18, 2019

“The Lutera pill changed my mood. Felt overwhelming most of the times and I started loosing a lot of hair. I have to stop taking after my second pack.”

N · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

“This Lutera is the first birth control pill I've ever been on so I can't compare my experience at all but personally I love this pill. I gained no weight, maybe at the beginning I was a little bloated for a week or two but it subsided naturally. The first month I had some veryyyy mild mood swings such as getting overly upset about trivial things, however I didn’t experience any serious depression or anxiety like how some others have expressed. I'm on my fourth pack now and the spotting is finally going away gradually. At the beginning it was really heavy but now its little to none. I experienced a little acne on my forehead and chin but I started taking magnesium and that went away almost entirely. This pill has not affected my sex drive at all either. (Also TMI possibly but my partner and I have gotten a little reckless in the bedroom and I can happily report my womb is still vacant so it works very well in my opinion)”

Lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

“I am on my second package of Lutera, and so far it's been great! I had some acne at the start, but it's gona away now, and I did feel nauseous the first day of my period, but after that I was fine. I really haven't had any other side effects. I noticed a lot of people stated they have felt depressed taking this, and so I was so scared to take this birth control, but I've been just fine.”

Jgirl November 9, 2019

“It’s been over a half a year since I’ve gone on this birth control Lutera and I have nothing but great things to say. It’s affordable through means such as the pill club (online) for people with no insurance and I experienced little to no side effects. I used to have excruciating cramps that would immobilize me and I would have to take prescription strength 800mg ibuprofen to manage the pain and even then it wouldn’t go away. I used to bleed a lot with a lot of clotting but since I’ve gotten on this pill I only bleed lightly for about 2-3 days and my cramps aren’t even noticeable anymore. No weight gain not acne. I feel beautiful and my sex drive is also the same. I absolutely love this birth control. Especially after switching from seasonique which was the worst experience of my life I was a completely different person, always moody, had food cravings and aversions and basically felt pregnant all the time. I love love love this bc it’s perfect for me!”

Carmen · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“I became severely depressed using this drug Lutera. It started with the bleeding right after my period, and the dizzy spells - quickly after depression. I cannot recommend this.”

Drea October 2, 2019

“So I switched birth control because my old one NOVIAL gave me bad side effects . It took me a month to find lutera but in the month I was not on birth control I started to break out quickly and my breast started to get extremely sensitive. Once I started LUTERA my acne went away immediately and my breast were not swollen or hurting I was impressed because my old birth control made me extremely unhappy but so far LUTERA has worked great . My only problem could be I started to get small little rashes like little mosquito bites on my arm it does not bother me they went away but I do get them once in a while.”

I September 28, 2019

“It was my first time on birth control. I’m starting my second packet of Lutera. No weight gain. A little of acne and spotting. However, this birth control affects my emotions a lot. I feel very depressed for no reason sometimes. I thing that’s the hardest side effect that happened to me. I’m satisfied with the pill but the mood changes have been hard to control.”

Tess · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

“I’ve been taking Lutera for 4 days now and so far the only potential side effect for me is increased acne. It’s not super bad though and I feel it’ll probably clear up soon. Other than that I feel great.”

Mick · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

“Just started 2nd month on this pill Lutera. I have never taken any kind of hormonal birth control before this. So far the side effects have been few, and have been all positive. I've found that my mood is actually more regular in general (less feelings of anxiety and depression/ PMDD), period is much much lighter with no pain, and my breasts have grown (not tender). My libido has always been high, and now seems to be the same if not slightly higher. The security of knowing that it is extremely unlikely I'll get pregnant is be biggest bonus of all; that in itself has relieved so much stress for me and my partner, and may be what is helping with my mood more so than the hormones. So far, so good. And sooo worth it for me.”

redhushpuppy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2019

“I have PMDD. I was told by a nurse that I couldn't continuously take tri-lo-sprintec because it's a triphasal BC. Okay... so I see my doctor and I talk to her about my PMDD and we decide on Lutera (I never talked to her about the tri-lo, only her nurse). I'm so upset I had wasted 2 months on this... and my vacation. This is one of the worse birth controls. It made me extremely irritable and my moods would swing at the drop of a hat. I was physically tense all the time and anxious. My libido dropped significantly and I was tired, lazy, and unmotivated. I started becoming depressed and I finally talked to my mom and she told me to go off. I emailed my doctor and lo and behold I can continuously take tri-lo-sprintec, so I'm back on that and I immediately felt calm, happy and loving. Everyone is different, but I DID NOT LIKE THIS!!!!”

Luxe September 8, 2019

“I went off birth control for 1 year and when I went to get on it again I was prescribed Alesse. Lutera, the generic, was given to me by the pharmacy. I have never had such adverse reactions to taking a pill in my life and I've been on birth control pills for 12 years. I only managed to be on it for a week. My period NEVER stopped. It wasn't spotting. Full blown uterine cramping and bleeding. It gave me a yeast infection after 5 days of being on it. I had mood swings like crazy. Usually I'll stick it out until my body adjusts (a month or 2) but I had to quit taking this. Between the excessive bleeding, infection, anxiety and depression, I just couldn't do it. I was hoping the lower doses of hormones would be better, but it's just not a good fit for me. I've only stopped taking it for 24 hours and already my bleeding has almost completely disappeared and I haven't had anxiety or depression in the last 12 hours. I feel better in general. I'm looking for a better option.”

C · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 5, 2019

“Of course this BC did its job with my periods being fine, no acne, no pregnancy etc but my MOODS. CRYING, REALLY DARK THOUGHTS, ANGER OUTBURSTS. I legit went off of it for about a year and could tell I was still having mild shitty mood swings (coincided w my phases of my cycle), decided to go back on because I didn't wanna get pregnant, 5 pills in and I'm crying everyday. Ugh its really not worth the emotional pain. I'll go back to my mild mood swings (which is prob hormonal imbalance due to being on BC for years and years) sigh”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2019

“Lutera made my hair fall out after 2 months of taking it. Completely upset about what it does to your hormones. Be careful ladies. Not all birth control pills have such a high amount of androgenetic activity. Do your research. This has been the hardest year of my life recovering from the hair loss.”