User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 6.6 1,255 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "The good: I started taking Loryna about 6 weeks ago. I have endometriosis. I have since had one menstrual cycle that was normal and virtually painless (yay!) Concerns: Anyone experienced dizziness or slight vertigo more easily after starting this pill? I have been on a few different BC pills for 20 years, but I don't quite remember this feeling. Looking down at something I'm reading or doing downward dog pose repeatedly or for longer durations makes me feel dizzy and nauseous. My breasts are tender and sore (that took 5 weeks to kick in!) and my face is breaking out all of a sudden. If you've taken this and had dizziness/nausea easily, please let me know what you did to help stop it! Or whether I should stop the pill?"

MtnClimber January 21, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I am 23 yrs old and as a first time BC user, Nikki has been better than I expected. I was skeptical because of all the bad reviews but it has turned out to be great! I’ve gotten nausea and occasional migraines but that’s just my body getting used to it but 3 weeks later, it’s been a lot better. No weight gain; because of the nausea it’s changed my eating so I’ve lost a few pounds. My skin is clearer and my period wasn’t as heavy as it was. Don't stop taking it after a few days, your body needs a month to get used to it, side effects are normal. So far, no major complaints. I would recommend!"

Kar0823 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Walgreens stopped Vestura and switched me to Nikki.... I was on it for 3 months and it caused me to have horrible acne that literally never went away.. and I mean like the same blemishes stayed on my face for 2 months straight, and didn't go away until I stopped taking Nikki... It caused me to have bruises ALL over my legs to the point I actually looked like a dalmation. I counted 43 bruises at its worst. As soon as I stopped taking Nikki the bruises and my acne cleared up in a week. It also made me abnormally tired. I am an early riser and usually wake up around 7 or 8 on my own. When I started taking Nikki I couldn't wake up before 10 and even then I still felt tired. DO NOT TAKE NIKKI"

Unhappy camper 2934 January 17, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Originally from Europe, I moved to Asia, where the tropical climate took its toll on my skin. Within 3 months I developed severe acne. At first I felt optimistic, “that is just temporary”, I thought, but when I tried almost everything (stopped eating any sugar, drank tons of water, tried various anti-acne cosmetics) and nothing worked, I got depressed. I read many positive reviews about Yaz here and it became my last hope. I have been on it for a year now, and I would say that it did miracles to me, though I had to wait quite long. I cleared my acne after 9 months. I have not experienced absolutely any side effects. I recognise that every body is different, but Yaz worked 100% for me, it might work for you as well."

Nicoletttta (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just recently switched pharmacies and unfortunately the new pharmacy doesn’t have gianvi but instead Nikki. I will be finishing this pack and going back to my old pharmacy and getting gianvi back. I started my period well before I should have and it just feels awful!! I never had this problem on gianvi ever! For those that switched back to gianvi...did your period in between bleeding subside right away??"

Bellaft (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I have been on this pill for over a year now. I have not had any negative side effects. No cramping or spotting or any weight gain. My bra size went from a 32B to a 32D, can't complain about that. I have endometriosis, and my periods without this pill were a painful nightmare. I was fainting due to the severity of my cramps, I was also vomiting due to the pain. I became anemic due to it too, but since going on this pill it is a breeze. I usually skip the inactive pills and just not have a period, but when I do it is about 3-4 days long with moderate cramping. Not as bad as before. I have no complaints or problems."

MayBrynn January 14, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Please, please do not take this drug. Do extensive research on the side effects of this drug. It is not safe and causes many complex emotional feelings. Please don't take it!"

Amy Margarett January 12, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I’ve just started taking this about 8 days ago. On my 2nd-3rd day, I had bad nauseous in the middle of the night. And then the symptoms went off. But I do noticed that I’ve been feeling very depressed for the past 1 week. On my 8th day, I noticed bloating on my tummy. After reading all the reviews where majority claimed that it causes depression / mood swings, I think I’m gonna stop it before the other symptoms like losing hair/ losing sex drive start appearing as well. Glad I read the comments by everyone."

Joeycyp January 11, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "It took me a few tries to get the right birth control for my body and once I found Loryna, it was perfect! All my acne disappeared, I went from an AA cup to a B cup in bra size, and it made my painful and irregular periods go away and make them bearable and regular. I never had any mood swings, just normal PMS like everyone has. Slight weight gain but it went away after a month. This pill also goes well with anxiety medication I take so I highly recommend it."

paulaleeman (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 10, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’m not sure why there are such bad reviews on this. This is my first time using this product and so far I haven’t gained any weight, if anything my appetite has changed in ways that I’m not as hungry as I usually am. I had headaches the first few days but I’m assuming my body just was not used to it. Don’t have any mood changes and sleep fine. My skin has cleared up quickly"

Annonymous User January 9, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I would NEVER recommend this birth control to anyone! Although it did help prevent pregnancy, after not even a year of being on it, I began to experience heart palpitations and moments of feeling as if my heart paused and stopped for brief seconds throughout the day. I had to be admitted to the hospital because they found out I have a 2nd degree heart block and are now having to consider putting in a pacemaker. I am a healthy, active, 23 year old with no significant medical history or family history. Never again will I EVER take this BC. This is an awful feeling."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Wish I never went on this. I started gaining weight rapidly. I gained 150 pounds in less than two years.In that time, I did NOT change the way I ate or how often I exercised. So, it was not due to lifestyle changes Constantly short of breath. Made my hair fall out. Made my eczema worse. I had been off it for 8 years but was getting heavy periods where I would have blood clots the size of baseballs for at least 32 hours. I went to a doctor who told me that because of this medication, I had polyps on my uterus. I had to get them taken out. Just an all around bad medication and I don't know how the drug manufacturer does this to people."

justme80 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I tried Nikki for less than 1 month and for the first week I thought it was good as my old pill but then, after 10 days I started to have: nausea, problem with my eyesight, headache and vaginal discharge. I stopped it. This bc didn’t work for my body."

Carlyna (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This BC changed my life!! I was on Taytulla previously and it was awful (made me break out worse than ever before, long, horrid periods, etc). Nikki has made my skin clear so quickly, and I can go without makeup without feeling self conscious. My periods are still pretty heavy, but it synced up with the pill pretty quick and my cramps aren’t too bad. Feeling no nausea or weird pains either. :) Highly recommend."

Becky Georgeton (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So, I had a weird experience on this pill. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo before this with fewer problems. First 2-3 months were okay, then I started having problems. I had 2-3 days of spotting before my period for the last two cycles, which would last at least 7-8 days. Then I also had 1-2 days of spotting after my period. I had super heavy discharge (which was extremely uncomfortable) as well as horrible mood swings and unbearable night sweats. The only good thing it did was clear up my face. I stopped taking it, and now all of a sudden I started bleeding again. Please use caution when choosing a bc so you don’t end up in a situation like mine."

Emerson K (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been take yasmin for almost 2 month and it had nothing happened to me. It's only help my skin less oily than usual but my acne still worst. My friend say that I should continue take Yasmin for another month ,so if it has a something changing in good way I'll share in this site again. Ps. Now ,I really hate my skin I hate looking myself in the mirror. My acne make me very depressed :("

Rebmun (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

For Birth Control: "I absolutely hated being on this birth-control. I was on it for six months and it made my period longer. I would have spotting before and after my period. Also, I had very bad PMS. I was very emotional and felt like a crazy person while taking this medication."

KaytS January 4, 2018

For Acne: "I originally was prescribed Nikki to tame my acne. Let me tell you...I had the WORST experience ever. I only lasted about four days. The first day I took it, my cramps were excruciating (legs shaking from the pain even with maximum dose Advil). I was basically living on pain pills for a few days. My flow became super heavy as well and I made quite a few trips to the bathroom to change pads. As if that wasn’t enough, I was bedridden for a couple days with severe nausea and came close to vomiting multiple times. My appetite went away completely and I felt so weak. My pharmacist said to immediately stop medication and my gynecologist even suggested going to the ER if nothing improved. It has now been a day since I last took the pill and I feel so much better. Never using Nikki again...I’m just lucky I didn’t have work this week because I definitely would have had to take sick days."

Female, 19-24 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am 23 years old and I took yasmin as a form of birth control for 4 months. It caused me vaginal dryness, low sex drive and pain during intercourse. In the beginning I didn't make the connection but the longer I took it the worst my symptoms were. I didn't have any weight gain or mood swings though but overall not a pleasant experience I stopped it for a while now and noticed a lot of improvement"

Moon2929 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have been taking yaz for the past 10 years... it’s not always doctors favorite but I have tried a few generics over the years as well as mirena and they all didn’t work for me (horrible mood swings, month long periods, skin issues etc). I switched to a new dr and she suggested switching to aviane another generic as it’s fully covered by insurance and yaz isn’t (a perfectly good reason to muck around with your body right?!?!? Not... my skin and mood has been awful!!! I’ve given it 5 months but I am switching back to yaz! Everyone is different and for me yaz works the best- nothing I try works better. Insurance sucks, women know their bodies best!"

Bel Italia (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2017

For Acne: "Switched from Loryna to Nikki almost 2 weeks ago because my insurance no longer contracted with CVS and Walgreens only carries Nikki. I was told they are the same drug but I've recently noticed a significant increase in vaginal discharge as well as acne breakouts. Not certain if this is related to the drug but it is the only thing that has changed in my regular regimen, will contact an OBGYN to discuss options for my current symptoms."

dmartin95 December 29, 2017

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been on Yasmin for years for cystic acne because my dermatologist recommend it. Its been really good for me in general and without it I break out within a few days. The only issue I have is when I start to take the sugar pills, I can get horrible migraine-like headaches from muscle tension in my head, neck and shoulders. The Dr suggested this is due to the drop in estrogen. I've found taking a magnesium forte vitamin tablet on a daily basis stops the headaches but I need to take it all month and particularly the week leading up to the sugar pills. Prior to this I was on Yaz and it was hellish for me. Every body is different and responds differently. It might work for some. Yasmin has been better for me."

Paddy W (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 28, 2017

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I stopped taking this after 4 months. The main reason I took it was to clear my skin up and after 4 packs my skin wasn’t really any better unfortunately. I could have dealt with that and just used it as birth control but it was giving me vaginal dryness during intercourse which I could not deal with! Didn’t have any noticeable effect on my weight or mood, which is a plus."

Jezebelrosiek December 27, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My personal experience was awful. Had major mood swings , abusive towards people I care about. First I thought it was me and was finding reasons for my behaviour. Of course I happened to breakup with boyfriend so I stopped taking it and after 3-4 days was completely normal self. Than I read all these reviews and found out same experiences happened to others."

RYR December 25, 2017

For Birth Control: "My pharmacy randomly switched my birth control to this about 3-4 weeks ago without warning, calling, or telling me AT ALL anything about the pill and I did ask and all that was told to me was "oh you shouldn't notice a difference at all, it should react just like the birth control you have been taking" Not. At. All. Since being on this my anxiety has sky rocketed, I bleed for a few days stop then bleed for a days or longer and repeat this has been happening since day 1 of taking this pill. Pretty annoying after a month of this. Makes you feel depressed for no reason, and makes you have no feeling of fullness so you're always hungry which I think is why so many people have weight gain from this pill. Basically don't do it"

MadelynEDE December 25, 2017