User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 199 reviews 524 medications

Menstrual Disorders 72 reviews 71 medications

6.2
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 906 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with Yaz. I am 20 years old, and have been suffering from Endometriosis for about 7 years. Yaz was the first medication that was used to treat my condition (for 2 years), and it actually increased my pain. The goal of the medication was to stop getting my periods completely (skipping the white sugar pills) so that I would avoid the painful cramps, and to slow down the growth of the uterine lining growing outside of my uterus. #1: I kept getting my period every month regardless of skipping the sugar pills. #2: I was SO nauseous while taking these pills. #3: The pain was CRAZY. It either did not help the pain whatsoever or made it worse. My advice: NO"

breadcrumb2211 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was put on yaz about 5 weeks ago.at first I had no side effects.after I started the second set I started bleeding.it has been ongoing for 10 days now and all I wanna do is cry.I have no energy.and it did not help with straightening out my period like the doctor said it would.I stopped taking it and I feel better just gotta figure out y I'm still bleeding.the doctor said I was primenaposal. I seriously doubt birth control can help with that.I'm ready for second opinion.I will never take yaz ever again.plus the pain was 10 times worse."

mommieof3 September 24, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "Was started on this because of extremely heavy bleeding and also birth control. I have nothing negative to say. It's been 2 years and have been enjoying it. Took about 2 months for the bleeding to slow down, and now its literally spotting to non existence with little to no cramps."

KLani (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Great for skin"

.......... September 20, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I hate this pill its the second birth control I have been on and I cant wait to switch. I have been on Ocella for 6 months and all 6 months have been terrible I've been gaining weight which makes me extremely depressed and I've had really bad mood swings. I am usually a calm, easy going person but ever since I have been on this pill every little thing irritates me or makes me mad. My doctor also assured me this pill would make my period shorter and lighter.....no....not at all. However I have not gotten pregnant so it works in that regard."

tokia September 18, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "im using yaz 2 years now and its so effective for me i try many other pills but the side efffects is it takes a bad to my health but when i take yaz my i have no acne ang it lightens my skin. Can i use yaz as a whitening pills? Thanks"

Caye (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I started taking Yaz as my birth control in high school (I'm 25 now) to prevent getting pregnant and as treatment for my moderate acne. It is my holy grail. I used to get consistent breakouts on my forehead and chin, and since using Yaz my acne has completely cleared up. My skin is literally beautiful to the point that my friends will comment how good my skin is. Last year, I decided to give the non-hormonal IUD ParaGard a try because I didn't want the hassle of taking a pill every day. During that time (about 5 months) that I wasn't taking Yaz, my skin broke out terribly. I thought it would calm down after a couple of months once my body had adjusted but it never did. I also started having much more dramatic mood swings during that time."

boudikah September 14, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Omg I have been crying for no reason and angry for the last 2 weeks. Was thinking I may need some meds for depression then back tracked what changed 2 weeks ago and boom changed my birth control from Yasmin to Zarah. I decided to read reviews online & am I happy I did. I cannot wait until this month is over or I may consider stopping before the month end."

Very Emotional September 14, 2016

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have been on this birth control for a month and never had any side effects. I never had the mood swings or migraines others have reported. I went on this specific brand because it is the generic form on YAZ and I wanted to clear my acne. I can say my face is 80% better than what it was a month ago and I am very happy with the results. I look forward to what a few more months on this pill can do for my skin. I give it a 9 because I was spotting a few days before my period week, but I think that's to be expected with a new pill."

Anonymous September 14, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have taken Ocella for almost eight years and loved it. It improved my acne, mood swings, etc. I didn't really have any noticeable side effects. However, in the last few months I started getting all over body itching and then hives. I eventually realized going off of this cured my itching/hives so I decided to write this review incase anyone else is dealing with these symptoms. Generics can change filler ingredients at any time, so unfortunately I will no longer be taking this pill."

Sairii (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I Changed to Yaz after my other contraceptive (Levlin) made my skin breakout and made me irrationally emotional. My skin cleared up in 1 month! I didn't have cystic acne but I always got big patchy breakouts. My skin is so smooth and I'm a lot less emotional lol. I'm also on a whole bunch of medications for epilepsy so the fact that this pill can level my emotions is pretty fantastic. I haven't experience any muscle pain, acne worsening, or any other of the side effects other people have mentioned. Guess it depends on the person. I've also noticed it has given me more energy which means I can excerise 5 times a week instead of 3 which is also much healthier for me! Definately give Yaz a try!"

Lilly4567 September 11, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "My reason for taking yaz was my bad cystic acne, which completely stopped in the 1St week!! Wow right..now just waiting for the skin to heal. However, my last week was kinda hell, constipated for more than 4 days and starting to get cramps, worse than before,my mental stability was a bit rough the 1st week. I'm giving it 3 months to see what happens, feeling hopeful as my body is adjusting!"

Bee1712 September 9, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started this method about 8 months ago. I hate it. No change in acne, but weight gain, headaches, horrible heavy crampy periods, intense mood swings. I'm switching soon. On the good side: I'm not pregnant so yay there and I know exactly when Hell Week (last 7 days always) starts and ends."

KrisNBliss September 9, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been a few different kinds of Birth Control pills. Nothing really worked the way I wanted... One brand lowered my sex drive, another brand made my acne worse instead of better. Finally ended up trying Ocella even though I was nervous becasue of all the talk I hear about girls getting blood clots.. But I must say, this works. I have mild cramps, for a day or so, and it's only off and on. My periods are lighter and last usually about 4 days. My face is the clearest it's ever been. I should of been on this brand in high school. Once in a while I'll get a pimple. And it hasn't effected my sex drive. It's an A in my book"

Kelli Lynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I was given Loryna for the first time a week ago. I used to have Gianvi and I enjoyed it. I just started birth control again after having my son and done with breast feeding. And so far it's been great. The first day or two I felt a little nauseous but not too bad. And I haven't developed any new pimples since I started the pack. My sex drive seems to have gone up! Surprisingly. I like that. No side effects for me yet. So far so good."

Haole (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I first started with ro accutane to get my acne away and then went onto dianette but that gave me a blood clot. I was on Yasmin for 2 years and my skin wasn't perfect as I had scars but it was a hell of a lot better. Recently I had an a miscarriage so obviously wasn't taking my pill for a while, and now I'm back taking Yasmin (it's been a week) my chin is absolutely sick looks like a pizza! But I know it gets better so just hold on in there guys "

Rosie1997 September 8, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "This pill has made me extremely sick, the nausea it brings me is awful, and had made me lose 10 pounds in just a week from making me sick. It has made me vomit quite often. I used this to get rid of cramping and it brought me sickness instead."

Anonymous4223 September 7, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I usually use Ocella (been using for 4 years) and switched to Zarah for my vacation because the pharmacy was out, but wow, it triggered huge mood swings and a deep depression the 2nd week in, By the 3rd week, I was crying every morning and feeling in a slump for hours on end. It was sporadic, like on and off, sometimes I'd feel fine and then I'd feel horrible again in a few hours. Yikes."

Fatchamy September 7, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I took Diane-35 for six months but decided to switch to Yaz as Diane-35's side effects were too much for me (bloating and intense migraines) although it did totally clear up my skin. Also side note, birth control affects everyone differently, my sister for example took it for her acne too, it did wonders and she had no side effects at all! I have am on my third packet of Yaz. I must say my skin has gone a little nuts. I am getting quite bad breakouts. But I have decided to wait it out a bit. From reading online I've noticed most people don't see any good improvement on their skin until the end of the third month. And apart from some tiredness I haven't really had any other side effects. Fingers crossed it helps sort out my skin."

Nu30 September 7, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "The first 3 months of Yasmin were horrendous, I had cystic spots all along my jaw, between my eyebrows, on my cheeks and even my back. My skin was very dry and I could not stop needing a pee! The cysts stopped appearing In the 3rd month but continued to have lots of spots on my jawline. Im currently on month 6, I still get spots (sigh) but I haven't had more than 3 at one time and they are very small ones which heal quickly and are easily covered with make up. I no longer have spots on my back either but I'm living with quite bad scarring. I really had my confidence knocked but looking at how my skin has improved now those 3 months in hiding were worth it!"

Sarahmc123 September 6, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I started Loryna for PMDD. Started on a Sunday. By Tuesday I had 3 enormous, painful zits. By Thursday I was in severe abdominal cramping pain. Similar to period/early labor pains. By Saturday they landed me in the ER. Every lab test and ultrasound/xray was normal so the only diagnoses that made sense was the pill. I'm currently on day 9 of my period which would normally only last 5-6 days. Needless to say, it's in the trash now."

BWayneLin23 September 5, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "PLEASE BE AWARE!! I have been on an injection contraceptive for 8 years now but my local doctor ran short of the shot so he recommended Yaz. I have been on it for three weeks now and 2 days ago I started having serious abdominal, tightening of my chest and serious problem to breathe. My husband researched it and found that these were indeed some of the side effects. I decided to not take any more of the pills. I urge females to be very careful when using yaz since 100 women are dead who used Yaz and are suspected that it was because of this drug. The blood clots allegations are numerous also."

Natmah September 4, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on yaz now for about a year and a bit for my acne. At first I experienced the same thing as everyone else, bad skin for the first three months. However after that it was strange my skin would still break out for the first three weeks and then be completely clear during my period it was like that for months. I was ready to give up but hung in there I just really wanted clear skin and I'm glad I did. Seriously 1 year later something clicked and my skin was pimple free. Except for the off pimple on my period my skin is great now."

Jeewls (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 31, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm currently on Gianvi & let me tell ya I'm having the worst experience ever, my migraines are so bad after they're it feels like my brain is about to fall out of my head, I'm constantly dizzy & always having weird chest pain.. I have made the decision to get off of this pill as soon as possible & have made the decision to go with the most traditional route.. CONDOMS even though I already have a 10 month old. I was on the depo shot before this & that was a horrible experience too! I've read so many reviews on this pill some good some bad some relatable. I'm constantly feel like I'm having a anxiety attack my hormones are out of this world."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on 4 different birth controls and I must say that this one is by far the worst one so far. I have gained about 30 pounds since being on it (with the same diet). I am very moody quite often. And I have headaches all of the time."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2016