User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 88 reviews 44 medications

Menstrual Disorders 95 reviews 8 medications

5.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 1137 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have struggled with acne for ages and I can't say I have tried all products out there, but I have tried simple face washes and none of them seem to work. It has bothered me and I already took birth control, so when I went to my OB she recommended Yaz. I'm still only on my first pack and I'm about a week in, and I realize it may seem crazy to be getting results so fast, but my skin already seems to be clearing up and so far I haven't had any bizarre side effects. I'm going to update in a few weeks and I hope this helps. I've seen many bad reviews but remember we are all different and will react differently and it's always worth the try!"

AmberCaleb (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders: "I started using daylette 2 weeks ago because I didn't have a normal cycle. So this really helps your periods to be lighter. Everything's great. Except for blood and my libido is low."

Spica27 August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am a 21 years old, healthy young girl. I was on YAZ for 8 months before noticing any changes, all was well. One day I noticed a deep blue vein on my inner calf and thought nothing of it. Today I currently have spider veins and countless thick veins from my feet to thigh. I have countless days where I am in so much pain I do not want to get out of bed, my legs burn and ache to the point where I am in tears. I currently have to wear compression socks for the rest of my life and even with the socks and elevating my feet I am still in pain, I have to have constant Dr appointment to monitor for DVT, (deep vein thrombosis) this is all because of YAZ. My entire life is impacted because of YAZ I have to take ASA everyday now. I will never recommend YAZ"

Ashla August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm on my first week of this pill and let me tell you, I'm really considering just to stop taking it. I have been so depressed and emotional the past few days I feel like there is nothing to look forward to in life. Also I spot every day and it yes so annoying because I want to wear my "nice underwear" but can't and I really don't want to wear a pad all the time. I know my body is getting used to it so I will try my best to continue it. Everyone is different and I hope that they are having a lot better experiences with it than I."

Brandygaga August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been using gianvi for over a month now and I haven't experienced any mood swings!!! I don't feel depressed, suicidal or anything. I have experienced bloating and tender breasts. I have recently broke out on face a bit but I'm hoping my body will soon adjust because I chose it to help with acne. I'll continue to use it and hope for the best. So far I don't think I've gained any weight which is a bummer bc I'm underweight and really was looking forward to it. But we'll see!"

Calicutie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have been on Yaz for 3 months. I switched from Diane, in the hopes my skin would improve. I'm 28 and still have congested skin and I am just over it. Nothing changed by moving over to this pill EXCEPT the fact that I've gained 4kilos in just 3 months. For my entire 20's I've weighed, give or take a kilo here and there. My eating habits have not changed and neither has my exercise routine so Yaz is all I can put it down to. 4 kilos may now sound like much but it felt like it went on overnight so it's all been a bit of a shock."

BP5737899 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I hated being on Yaz. It caused me to gain a lot of weight, so much so and so quickly it actually scared me. I was incredibly depressed and sad all the time finding myself crying nearly every day whereas I am normally a person who almost never cries or gets overly emotional. I had difficulty breathing and felt like my chest was weighed down. Anxiety and panic attacks became my daily norm. Another strange thing was it gave me little red bumps all over my face that weren't acne but just texture. I have been off Yaz for a year now and I still have the red bumpy texture all of my face "

LayneRaye (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on this medication for one month and have never felt worse in my entire life. Before taking this pill I was an energetic and positive person. Now I am exhausted all the time and hit a wall at 4:00 every day. My confidence has plummeted and I am experiencing extreme mood swings/anxiety/depressive symptoms. I have never experienced anxiety prior to taking this birth control and I have had multiple intense panic attacks within the past month. Other side effects have been increased heart rate, tight chest/trouble breathing, & chronic headaches. I was put on yaz for my acne and it did help in some sense, but it is not worth feeling like crap 24/7."

becaC1995 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I switched to yaz from alesse because I heard it was better for acne. It did wonders for my skin and only having a 4 day period was nice too. However, I did notice that I was more emotional and had crazy mood swings, I found myself crying for no reason (not very good for my relationship either). I didn't gain any weight, and had no other side effects. I only switched back to alesse because my doctor expressed a concern about the blood clots possible with this birth control, otherwise I wouldn't have switched. Goodluck!!"

Anonymous August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking Ocella due to complications with a ruptured ovarian cyst. I'm on my 10th day of taking it and I still have my period. I've been getting chest pain and rapid heart beats, I have absolutely no sex drive and I have been experiencing the worst migraines of my life. I will not recommend this pill to anyone."

Love90 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have taken YAZ for just over 6 months now and I have seen no improvement in my skin. I don't have severe ache, I never have but I do suffer from constant congested skin that no cleanser/exfoliator can fix. Mainly whiteheads, heaps and heaps of them mainly on my chin which always turn into zits. Never ending cycle of zits. On YAZ I don't feel any period pain during my cycle and my period is light but I have found that recently, few days before I get my period I break out in acne all over my chin which has spread to my cheeks and it takes nearly until my next period to fully clear. I waited 6+ months to see an improvement in my hormonal skin with YAZ but I have seen none so I'm changing."

AJS21 August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "So, I read reviews for this med before starting exactly 1 week ago. I took Yaz years ago and LOVED it! I'm taking this primarily to help with my mood/ hormonal imbalance (self-diagnosis) bc I believe Yaz helped with that before. I saw reviews for this medicine which made me skeptical and I generally don't leave product reviews online, but I wanted to weigh in bc these reviews help. I'm almost 35 years old- have only been taking for a week and I have noticed a breakout on my face! I can't really tell if the meds is helping with my moods or not yet. Sometimes I think it does, but it could be the placebo effect. My plan is to try this for a 3-month cycle to see how my body reacts. After this, I'll either continue with this or go back to Depo-Provera. Meanwhile, I've also heard that the Plexus probiotic VitalBlome is getting good reviews for really helping with moods. I'm ordering that next week."

djohnson22 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started Loryna about 3 and a half weeks ago. I was preparing for an IVF embryo transfer. I wanted to select Yaz as the birth control to prepare for my transfer, but learned Yaz is no longer on the market. This should have been my first clue that a generic form of a drug that was off the market might still not be safe. I started taking Lornya. About a week and a half of taking it, I felt a pain in my calf. The pain intensified to the point I could hardly walk. I decided to check on this and it was found that I formed a blood clot behind my knee. I was advised to stop Loryna immediately. I now have to take 2 shots a day of blood thinners for 3 to 6 months. I also think my IVF will be cancelled because of this. No history of blood clots."

BobbieLouise August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "HORRIBLE experience w Loryna. Took it for acne, on the 3rd week and my skin is as bad as it was on the Mirena IUD. Giving me terrible anxiety and mood swings. The acne is killing me"

shln August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I love this birth control! I previously had the implanon bc in my arm, and it caused really bad acne and I always had really bad cramps even though I didn't have a period. I've been on zarah for about 3 months no and the only complaint is that I get weird cramps occasionally. Other than that my skin is completely clear (and I've struggled with acne for a few years now), my sex drive has actually increased, and I haven't gained any weight. I've always been moody around my period so idk if it's affected that much because it's always different. Overall I definitely recommend!!"

pep7617 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I initially gave this drug an unfair review. I began having panic attacks and Relationship OCD about my boyfriend, emptiness, etc. and I've never thought bad things about him prior to taking birth control. I had a hip surgery two months after being on this medication, so my negative side effects probably came from the pain medicine as well as my BC. I'm taking a month off of it, just to see if I can mentally bounce back (so far I've been so much better, only 3 days after I finished my pack). I may continue this BC after my next surgery in December, so if you have any symptoms don't panic, just go talk to your doctor! every woman is different, My mom and sister both didn't tolerate the pill at all either, so just try it out and talk to your doctor!"

18 year old girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "After taking Loryna, I was diagnosed with blood clots on my lungs, causing a pulmonary embolism. This caused my heart to go into overdrive. I had shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, and chest pain. I was in the hospital for 3 days and now on blood thinners for 6 months minimum. I just got home today."

Mp902 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been on Ocella for about 8 months now and it's cleared up my acne pretty well (I'm on Accutane to kill the rest off). I also use it to stop my periods. It works well for that purpose. The only reason I give it 9/10 is that I spot if I skip too many, which didn't happen with Jolessa. But other than that it's a great pill and I have no side effects from it. I would recommend trying it for acne or to stop periods. I can't speak on it's effectiveness for pregnancy prevention or other conditions."

Kateeeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've had acne my entire life tried everything from roaccutane to special diets to expensive creams and nothing worked. Started Yasmin and my skin became absolutely flawless. I wanted a kid, so I stopped the pill and my acne came back instantly. My son is now 5 months and I've started Yasmin again because I need my acne to be gone! I'm 29 and it's annoying to have skin his bad. This pill makes me crazy, but I'll take the craziness for clear skin. My sex drive disappeared while I was on it too. Lost weight which was a plus."

Nateish (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I am suffering from irregular menstrual cycle, heavy flow, intolerable cramps and mood swings. I went to a doctor and she found that I had myoma in my uterus; it has been causing the heavy flow and pain. She put me on Yasmin saying that it will ease the pain, decrease my flow and make the cycle regular. The first pack made me so miserable because I couldn't stopped bleeding, I bled for 29 days straight with heavy flow, like it was the first day of my period. The doctor made me stop taking it because I was bleeding too much, she said that my body is reacting too much to the pill. Other than this, decreased appetite, better mood, bigger boobs. Couldn't see a difference in my acne."

Samdarko (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Give it a full 3 months!!! I had severe hormonal acne + pustules all over my face, specifically on my cheeks and jawline, when I got prescribed yaz. The first month was absolutely terrible and I broke out all over my forehead, back and chest... I was literally scared to leave the house. In the second month, it was just as bad but new pimples weren't surfacing as often. Month 3: I had small pimples on my face and everywhere else had cleared up, but it wasn't till the end of my 3rd pack that my face cleared up completely. I'm now in the middle of month 4 and my face is completely clear!!!! I can go out in public without makeup and finally feel confident! Also, I have experienced no side effects except bigger boobs lol"

rdins (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control for 6 months now and love it. It cleared up my acne and my boobs have gotten so much bigger. I haven't had any weight gain. The only downside is I feel like it makes me somewhat depressed, but I am on depression meds and have been for years, so I don't see that being a problem. My boyfriend and I have regular sex and he doesn't pull out, and I'm not pregnant. So the effectiveness of this is 10/10. Would highly recommend :) I don't have insurance yet and I pay $60 out of pocket for it each month. It would be a lot less if you had insurance, probably around $10 a month."

Kathy-ryn July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Awful pill! I started taking this pill three months ago as my previous pill was making me hypersensitive to the sun (Gedarel). I think I'd rather live like a vampire than try and cope with the mood swings from this pill. My poor fiancé has even mentioned how bad my mood swings have been and it makes me feel awful being so up and down all the time. I am going to change it this week and hopefully be more successful with the next one. I am a very happy go lucky person and this pill is the worst I have ever been on. I have been on Micro 30, Dianette and Gedarel in the past 7 years and is one is by far the worst. My sister is on this one too and she is fine so just goes to show how individual it can be to react to certain pills."

Kezbeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "If I could give this generic a 0 I would. I began birth control (Apri to loryna) for my chest acne but it isn't helping. I switched from Apri to loryna because of an emptiness, as though I felt like I was dead inside. However, Loryna has made it worse!!! It was fine the first couple months, but as I started my 3rd pack, I began having anxiety attacks (never had them) and a worse feeling of emptiness. I'm constantly overthinking everything, and little things bug me so much more than usual! I had hip surgery during my last pack, so maybe the other drugs I took were causing my body to freak out, but that should have no affect for this month. I'm 19 and I'm concerned it will affect my relationship with my boyfriend soon!"

AlexisB8231999 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I love this birth control. Face is absolutely clear, weight is constant, sex drive is amazing, periods are light, PMS is a little higher than usual but nothing excessive. The only thing I worry about is anxiety has increased, but so have other factors in my life that could cause increased anxiety so I don't want to blame it solely on BC. I've been on this birth contol for 2.5 years now- no complaints! However, probably looking into an IUD very soon...Easier for my busy lifestyle. If you take a pill I would recommend this! Makes me sad it has such a low rating."

AleKC July 20, 2017