User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Lo-Zumandimine, Loryna, Melamisa, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah, Zumandimine

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Birth Control
5.7

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 6.1 1,477 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've taken this before a few months at a time and it has never affected me this way until now. I have been on it for 3 weeks and it has truly been the worst 3 weeks of my life, emotionally speaking. I am so emotional that I am crying daily, anxious and just generally not enjoying life the way I was before starting this medication. I am wanting to be on birth control but am afraid to continue taking this very one due to the emotional impact it has on me. I've taken Yaz before and bled for 6 weeks, but eventually was levelled out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I took tri-linyah for three years before going on yaz. Reason why I switched because my acne was getting worse and my doctor thought increasing the estrogen would help. Well good news it helped clear my skin, but made my hair fall out 5 months later and I still have excessive shedding. My hair thinned out a lot and I lost half my hair thickness."

Ksjsbbsk (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’ve just started to take this pill I believe 5 days ago and I would say it’s working great. I haven’t had any problems other than fatigue and moodiness. I was skeptical about taking this pill since there was mixed reviews but one of my good friends said that birth control pills work differently for everyone, so don’t be afraid to try it. My doctor prescribed me this one. This is the first birth control I took and I don’t have anything bad to say about it. Don’t rely on reviews because it may work for you unlike others!!"

Moni (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Just finished my first pack of Ocella. I am pleased so far! This is the 3rd birth control pill I have tried, first two were nightmares. I quit the pill all-together for 2 yrs but decided to start up again w/ Ocella. I was on Kariva then switched to Minastrin. I had AWFUL weight gain with both. I didn't change my diet, it was all water weight that was lost w/in a week of stopping the pills. So far on Ocella I have not gained any weight and do not feel bloated/ puffy. I am assuming that has to do with the diuretic effect of the progestin? which I am all for if it keeps bloating at bay! The first few days of taking this pill I had extreme nausea but that went away. I also had a few headaches but I got that before taking Ocella. Given my past experience I was terrified of taking this pill. So far, it has been a breeze. I am hoping that it continues to be like this! Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If you have struggled with other pills in the past this may be the one for you"

Katie October 11, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "Do not take this drug. It made me spacey, tired, anxious, and most of all extremely dehydrated. I could not hold onto any water and urinated large amounts every 30 minutes. As you can imagine, this has greatly interfered with my life. I constantly have dry, cracked lips and no energy. It took me years to finally figure out that this is the problem. I switched to a different pill without drospirenone, and I think I am slowly getting better. This dangerous drug should not be prescribed at all."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I really liked Gianvi, I'm a little upset about the one side effect that's making me cease using it: extreme hair loss. Gained a little weight and my breasts are bigger but I recently noticed bald spots on my scalp I started using rogaine 4 weeks ago but it's too soon to notice change. And last night I noticed a new balding area. It is quite upsetting. Other than that, I get headaches often and have 7 day long periods. Apparently, desogestrel birth controls are "hair friendly pills." I may have to pair that up with "a testosterone blocker, like spironolactone, can be additionally beneficial for those who have experienced hormonal hair." "

Person1234 October 10, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I started taking Yasmin on the 01-08-18 a few days later I started having breakouts like never before, I felt like giving up. I then thought I should give it 6months cos I had the acne prone skin. On my second pack the same happened, ok I didn't give up, good news is when I was about to finish the second pack my face was so smooth and I couldn't believe it. Hey I'm on my 3rd pack now I really really like my face it's so beautiful like never before. I'm acne free. However I I did change my make up, changed diet, cut sugary things and dairy products and I also steamed my face with green tea 2 times in a week, there after I applied baking powder, leave it for 15min then rinse with cold or luke water. I'm continuing with it. It is definitely doing wonders for me. Don't give up ladies and please do drink lots of water. And other thing I guess they work perfectly when taken at night not morning."

Elle October 9, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was prescribed Yaz but my pharmacy gave me Nikki because it's the brand my insurance would cover. I started on Monday and by Wednesday I was having hot flashes, nausea and diarrhea. I take 10 mg of fluoxetine and it was as if Nikki cancelled it out. Thursday I went into a severe depression. I also have very clear skin and I woke up with cystic bumps and inflammation. I have never had major issues with other brands of birth control so I did some research and talked to a doctor. Nikki is linked to gastrointestinal issues and can trigger a gastritis episode in someone who already has digestive issues. I have been taking 300mg of Ranitidine everyday since March and it doesn't seem to be helping since I started Nikki. I have been unable to work the last 4 days. I discontinued use on Saturday. Do not take it especially if your prone to digestive issues, anxiety and depression! I should have considered the negative reviews beforehand."

AG314 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I hate writing bad reviews, but PLEASE DO NOT use this birth control! I have been on it over a month and bleeding non stop, having anxiety attacks all day long while at work, intrusive awful thoughts, vision feels different and blurry, feeling depressed and moody one minute the next I’m fine. will not be taking anymore pills on this brand. I was on Loryna (which they say is comparable) and it is not. I felt perfectly fine on Loryna, and figured it would be the same on Gianvi. It’s not, I don’t want this to happen to anyone else, so please girls watch out."

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Had to comment after reading the negative reviews on here! I was on Microgynon 30 for 6 years before switching to Yasmin because of acne developing on my face. I've just finished my first month, and honestly, Im finding it really positive! I only felt nauseous for the first day, and after that, all I have to say is positive! My sex drive has absolutely gone through the roof, the boobs are increasing in size (I'm a 32A), no weight gain, and my moods in general are so much better! The only reason I am marking this down is because I'm still waiting for more improvement to my skin, but that can take up to 6 months so I wasn't expecting miracles after 1 month. Girls, I would ABSOLUTELY stress, take these reviews with a pinch of salt - I am in a group of 6 girls and we must have gone through at least 12 pills in total before we all found ones that suited each of us, and like a previous reviewer has said, how many people actually bother to comment with a positive review?"

Louise20 October 6, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am literally in day 31 of my period since starting this medication! I'm well into my second pack of Nikki and it shouldn't be like this. I however, don't have any other side effects."

Day31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this pill to anyone. It straight up tried to ruin my life. iIve only been on this pill for a month and I had normal side effects for the first week (moodiness, nausea, etc.) but as time went on it just got worse and worse. I started to have major anxiety issues which is something I haven’t dealt with in years and it also caused me to have depression that’s gotten so bad in such a short time that my doctor had to put me on anti depressants. I’ve been angry ALL the time for absolutely no reason, it almost ruined my relationship because I would get mad at my boyfriend every single day.over the most stupid things but it was absolutely uncontrollable. This past month I’ve felt like I was going insane. My acne did get better and my period has been a lot lighter but it’s not worth it. I’d rather bleed for the rest of my days than have to go through that again. Just don’t do it. Spare yourself."

colmew (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Gianvi for 7 years now. It has prevented pregnancy, which is the main point of taking it. I can't remember having any issues with nausea when I first started taking it, but I usually take it with food. My periods are normal, I wouldn't say lighter on this pill. I still get cramps and moodiness, and it definitely kills my sex drive. One odd fact about this pill is that since I've been taking this brand, I developed IBS. I've actually seen research studies that link IBS to Yaz and it's generic counterparts. I'm finishing out my last pill pack of Gianvi and switching to something else to see if the IBS diminishes. I wouldn't say Gianvi has been terrible, but I think I could feel better on something else."

Mada (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "This tablet made me feel sick every single day besides the days I use the inactive pills. I wasn't able to eat probably only have tiny portions of food at a time because I would be too nauseous from this. Nausea never went away and the doctor refused to change this medication. It works for a lot of people but it is the worst thing I have ever taken in my life."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This medication made me feel moody, achy, tired, and I gained weight. Never have I struggled with birth control before, name brand or generic. This medication has sent me on a rollercoaster and after nearly 8 months it’s not levelled out. Why does the pharmacy just change on you with no good reason? It only gets more than a 1 because it has proven effective in its one job, the rest are horrible."

Not happy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have only been on Gianvi for a month and a half and absolutely do not like it. Started spotting while on active pills, then started bleeding heavily for over a week and still am. It’s a never ending period!"

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Gianvi for about a month. At first, I think it gave me mood swings. I was very irritable. But it seems to have calmed down. There's no other negative thing for me to say about it. On the positive side, it has cleared up my acne and my skin looks and feels better. I haven't had my first period on the pill yet."

Bab (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control was terrible. Not only did I have bad depression and anxiety while I was on it I also got pregnant with twins. Don't trust this stuff at all."

Apples (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I urge you not to take this pill. I took it to help alleviate my acne. Immediately I started having side effects including insomnia, frequent crying, and breakthrough bleeding. About 3 weeks in, I started having panic attacks and severe anxiety. I went off the pill after only 3 weeks. Now, it has been a month and I am still experiencing the heightened anxiety and panic attacks that I did before. I’m hoping that I will eventually be the person I was before this pill. I would never ever go on this pill again and I wish I could stop myself from ever taking it."

Kathy (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been taking this birth control for years now. About a year ago I had to come off of it for a month or so. During that month my moods drastically changed. I felt happier, had tons of energy, and I was less hungry. I thought for a second that this could be attributed to me stopping Nikki, but I convinced myself it was all in my head. Recently, I inadvertently skipped a week of my Nikki because I left my pills at home while I was traveling. Again. My mood was amazing and I did it feel the need to nap during the day. I thought nothing of it until now. I started taking Nikki again after returning home. It’s been 2 days. I’ve been in the worst mood all day. Crying, angry and depressed for absolutely no reason and a horrible headache. This cannot be a coincidence."

PT (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Last year I had to start the pill due to an irregular menstrual cycle. My gynocologist recommended I take this brand for 6 months. I was always the happiest and brightest person. I would be the one to cheer people up and make their day. This pill gave me depression. It took away my identity. I was on it for 4 months and I would have extreme mood swings every single day. I had to stop taking it due to severe spotting for the last 2 months of it. I would bleed everyday and a heavy amount too. I gained so much weight (10-15 pounds) and was very bloated. My appetite was amplified to the max. There wasn’t a single moment where I didn’t have food in my mouth. I tried to stay on yaz but it was an absolute disaster. I didn’t realize why these awful changes were happening to me. After I got off of it due to heavy spotting, I realized my mood improved. This pill ruined my life. I still have depression and I resent this brand for giving it to me."

Disgusted22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I am 18 and have had mild to severe acne all throughout my teen years. I just finished my fourth pack and my acne is so much better than it was when I started. I still get a few pimples but nothing severe. I have noticed that it’s causing me to have extreme mood swings and weight gain, but I’m going to stick with it because it’s really helping my face"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’m 18 and I was on this pill for about a year and a bit and in the last week I was getting extreme anxiety and panic attacks to the point I was sick , even depressed outrageous thoughts. I didn’t know what was happening till my sister said she had problems with this exact pill after about a year and it just made complete sense. It was almost as if my hormones had gone hay wire and for no apparent reason. I suffered like this for about a week then I decided I had to go off the pill so I stopped taking it but the mood issues did carry on for a bit longer which I’m guessing was my hormones levelling out. It’s been about a week since I stopped and I’m feeling 1000 times better already, would never suggest this pill to anyone it’s not worth the tears!"

N (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I had been taking Loryna for about 2 years to help with my hair growth and pmdd. One day the pharmacist explained that Loryna was not available & prescribed Nikki. I get my birth control 3 months at a time, so I was hesitant to be stuck with it for at least 3 months. During the first month I experienced inflammation and dryer skin on my face, chest and neck, and scaly scalp. I also can mention that regular crying sessions two to three times a week is not normal for me. Initially, I thought it was my body adjusting to a synthetic medication. 3 months later, I'm calling to beg my pharmacist to change it back. My hormones are off the wall, my skin has no improvement, & I felt like a lunatic. I felt so normal on Loryna, and could not understand what in the world was going on with me. I even considered seeing a psychologist. After reading several reviews I realised I was not alone. It might work for some women, but definitely didn't work for me. I really hope to feel like myself again soon."

Sunshine September 20, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I’ve just started using Yasmin , now onto my break and my acne seems to be getting worse especially on my back and jaw line, they’re big spots that are painful. And I’ve read so many reviews saying it gets worse before it gets better , but I’m so depressed about my skin. I really don’t know what to do."

Blonde September 18, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...