User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Lo-Zumandimine, Loryna, Melamisa, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah, Zumandimine

Acne

Birth Control
5.8

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 6.2 1,414 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Birth control? Yes. Liver tumors as a side effect? Yes. Inoperable tumors and it's now too dangerous for me to get pregnant (risk of rupture).... So, yeah, it's a "birth control" all right..... for the rest of my life."

Poppy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill gave me the worst eczema of my life!! I had eczema for 5 years while taking it and stopped for a year. Eczema was gone!! I am on it for 8 days now again and my eczema is back!! It is confirmed!! Yasmin was responsible for my horrible eczema days!!!"

Lesleynoa (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2018. My doctor prescribed Yasmin 28 to take for 1 year. I started the pill in February 2018. During the first week, I experienced, dry mouth and loss of appetite. However, that passed. During the week of my scheduled period, I experienced heavy to severe bleeding for the first 4 days of my period. Another side effect that I felt vaginal itching and discharge. However, I started taking Probiotic pills daily and that subsided immediately. Between the months of February and up to this present moment, I have felt depressed and anxious. I don't think Yasmin 28 is worth it, especially based on how it's been making me feel. I officially stopped taking Yasmin 28, 4 days ago. I hope my depressed and anxious moods will improve."

PCOSLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was taking Gianvi for seven years and had zero complaints, but I, like many others, was forcibly switched to Nikki. And I hate it. I took it for 6 months. During that time, I developed intense chronic headaches (at least half of each cycle was spent with a debilitating headache). It didn't do much to help with cramps or acne. It was actually okay with treating my PMDD, but I literally couldn't function because the headaches were so bad. Finally stopped taking it because I couldn't live like that anymore. It's worth it to deal with my PMDD and endometriosis without that pill, which is saying a lot."

CJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Loryna for about a year and a half! I started taking it because of extremely painful periods and as a form of protection. Before, I would have to stay home for the first three days of my period because the cramps would be so bad that I couldn’t move and I’d cry for most of the day and sometimes vomit. Taking pain meds did not help. After going on Loryna, the cramps didn’t get that much better. But I was at least able to go places and they only lasted about a day and a half. I was also able to get more relief through pain meds. So it did make it more bearable and I also had no pregnancy scares so that’s good! But I also became extremely emotional at all times, as in crying at basically everything, so that was kinda annoying. I didn’t experience any other side effects though. I ultimately had to go off it because I just couldn’t remember to take it every day lol"

Grace (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I was on yaz as a kid, then they switched me to tri-linyah. Tri-linyah kept my acne at bay but my sex drive dropped over the years and didn't want to have any sex. So I switched back to yaz, and my sex drive increased but so did my acne. And it's the deep painful acne. Not sure if it's the hormonal switch or not. But it's quite aggravating."

06sti (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I've been taking Yaz for almost a year now, and I am very, very happy with it. I have pre existing mental health diagnoses that were extremely exacerbated by PMDD. About 10 days before my period I would become absolutely dead exhausted, severely depressed, with constant muscle and joint soreness, and terrible cramps and heavy bleeding during menstruation. All these symptoms are almost eliminated after taking Yaz. As an added "plus", most months I don't get my period AT ALL, which is a real blessing. Only thing I wish would work for me is the acne reduction...I still struggle with the cystic, hormonal acne and Yaz doesn't seem to have helped that. STILL, if you struggle with PMDD, Yaz is definitely worth a try!"

Mer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Started taking this pill 3 days ago to help clear up my acne and almost immediately I was hit with immense nausea that left me bedridden for 2 days. Today I thought I was feeling better so I tried to workout again this morning but had to bail early because the nausea, and lack of energy left me crumpled on the floor. Going to the doctor today to change pills, even if this was a miracle pill that got rid of all my problems it’s definitely not worth going through all this suffering."

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was taking Nikki for almost a year and was having a great luck. Less PMS, little to no bleeding every month, no acne, much less migraines. Pharmacy switched me to Loryna and my migraines began almost immediately. I now have 10 migraines a month, fatigue, PMS and major bleeding. I am now struggling to find a pharmacy that carries Nikki tabs. I have had to start taking migraine prevention pills."

Unhappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Since they discontinued vestura, they switched me ( without my prior knowledge) to Loryna. My anxiety is higher and I have about 5-8 pounds of water weight/bloat that I can't get rid of. I'm no saint with eating but I can usually reduce calories and be back at my normal weight- not now. I'm calling my doctor today; I've been on it three months and it hasn't gotten any better."

LauraG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Yasmin worked a miracle for my acne. I suffered extremely bad acne on my back, chest and some on my face, within a month or two it was almost completely cleared up. Then I went off it .As far as weight I actually believe since being off yasmin I've gained weight and my acne is back worse than ever. I've just got my new script for the next lot and I'm so excited!!!"

Tay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have been on Yasmin for about 9 months now. It took between 5 to 6 months to have acne free skin on a regular basis. I still get a few smaller cysts occasionally during the off week, but they diminish quicker. I have struggled with acne since my early teens and I am now 40. I tried one round of accutane in my teens, minocycline on and off for years, and was prescribed yasmin by my new dermatologist. As frustrating and sometimes devastating to see your acne getting worse, as long as your not experiencing major side effects, please give this drug time to even out your hormones. I'm sure like all drugs, it's not for everyone, but I am so delighted by the clear skin I see in the mirror now. Then there's the wrinkles starting... lol. But that's for another forum ;)"

Ziggy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Over the past 10 years I gradually realised the link of having severe depressive like symptoms, anger, rage and extreme fatigue 2 weeks before my period. It got worse in my mid to late twenties culminating in an almost nervous breakdown and me having to take 2 months off work in my new career at the hospital. This I put down to inability to cope with the stress of working in acute care, but really it was debilitated by the effects of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) every month. Armed up with research on yaz online, I consulted a doctor in UK who had never heard of it. Anyway, I insisted on the medication and to this day have never looked back. I notice a huge difference in taking it and almost symptom free psychologically. Might not be for everyone. But if it does work it's fully life changing. I am very happy with the results so far. Now nearing 30 and much happier."

Amyowl August 4, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the first BC I have ever taken and I’m generally pleased with it. I started when I was 18 to regulate my periods and clear my skin. PROS I literally never feel the need to have to wear make up anymore because my skin is always so clear. This is huge because I have struggled with acne for a very long time. My periods are very normal with no cramping or PMS (sometimes slight mood swings). I typically do not use condoms and have not had any scares. CONS the only things I have noticed is weight gain, and the first couple months of taking it I had extreme pain/cramping in my legs in the middle of the night but that has stopped. Also in the first few months my eyes were sensitive and irritated from my contacts but that has also gone away. Overall I think it takes getting used to and it’s different for everyone, but I have had a very positive experience so far and plan to continue using this brand"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill almost three months ago and I would say it’s been great other than a few side effects. The first month I was extremely emotional and I cried all the time about little things that never would make me cry before. I get headaches more frequently and I get breast tenderness two weeks before my placebo pills start which is annoying. I also feel like this pill has made me more exhausted and sore. Other than those little side effects it’s done it’s job, my skin look fabulous, and I haven’t gained any weight on it."

Billy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Nikki for a year now. This is my first experience with birth control and unfortunately did not know enough to recognize that this pill is the cause of my symptoms. The worst being that I have been incredibly fatigued and exhausted no matter how easy I take things, or how much sleep I get. I have had difficulty focusing, excessive teeth grinding, mood swings, irritation, very low sex drive, constant headaches, emotional distress, crying, and mild depression. I have been to two doctors who can't find anything wrong with me, and I have had multiple blood draws, with no conclusion. This morning it occured to me to research my birth control. I can't believe that I have gone an entire year with these symptoms and not figured it out. I am an incredibly healthy woman. I have a great relationship with my body, and I know when something is off. I feel so terrible that I have put my body through this for so long. I will be discontinuing this BC immediately."

Fatigued August 1, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I got back on birth control to treat my acne and it has cleared my skin up 100%. I am on my third month now and by the second month my skin really cleared up which I never thought would happen. The dermatologist recommended I get on the pill and said by month 3 my skin will be clear, and she was right. I will say the first month I was extremely moody and emotional but that is normal when your body is getting adjusted but by the second month I was normal. This birth control keeps my skin clear, gives me light periods, and I didn't gain a pound on it. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to get on the pill."

BNA (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I took this pill for less than a month. My acne got worse than it has ever been before. I'd never had issues with anxiety and self esteem until I took the pill. The pill controlled my emotions and I was always down and "depressed". I took the pill specifically for acne but it only made mine worse. My skin was sensitive, the acne was flared and bubble-like. My skin was hard like a rock when I touched it and any movement would cause it pain. Worst experience and I regret taking it. With those who have acne issues and don't specifically care for a birth control; I recommend using a cream called TactuPump (adapalene - benzoyl peroxide) it does require a prescription but it works wonders and 3 months tops your skin will be clear. You'll even notice results within the first 3 weeks"

jas (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Originally went on yasmin as my skin was terrible and I wanted to have more control over my periods. They were heavy lasted 7 days and got severe stomach cramps. Made my skin so clear and also made my boobs go up two cup sizes which worked wonders for my confidence. I suffer from anxiety and take tablets for this also but didn’t find the pill to make this any better or worse. However whilst I loved the pill when I was on it I found it difficult during seven day breaks as my periods were still awful and long when coming off it. Therefore I tried the mini pill instead however found this awful and made me feel depressed. Therefore I’ve come back on yasmin and I’m hoping after a bit longer on it my periods will be lighter."

Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Gianvi made me break out like CRAZY. Whatever additional fillers they use made react poorly. So switched to brand name YAZ and my skin completely cleared up."

adarlene (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Was on ortho tri cycles for four months, which gave me unbearable cystic acne that I've never experienced before. My cheeks/jawline became 80% swollen red and covered in painful acne. But now after two weeks vestura has cleared my skin, just waiting for these terrible red marks to fade. My breasts have gotten smaller which is a bummer but so far so good. No bloating or break through bleeding! Everyone is different so it's worth trying even if something has been reviews or didn't work for some people."

Berri (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Just got on this pill, most people said they felt super sick almost immediately (I’ve felt sick right away on other BC’s) and I’m fine. Appetite is the same, slight headache the first night but nothing I couldn’t deal with. I’m hoping this pill works for me but I have good feelings about it. Will update later."

Z (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I usually never write reviews but I felt the need to share my experience for future users. I was on ocella for a couple years before my pharmacy switched me over to zarah. Ocella was great, I had zero side effects from it and it even cleared up my skin so that was a plus. But when I switched to zarah, the cons outweighed the pros. First off, my acne returned worse than it was before. I also had constant anxiety and moodiness. But the worse side effect seemed to be low sex drive and vaginal dryness. My sex life disappeared for nearly three months, and even if I wanted to have sex there was zero lubrication to do so. The only thing this birth control did right was preventing me from getting pregnant, and that was basically only because I had no sex drive while on it. Once I got off of it all my side effects regarding acne, anxiety, moodiness, sex drive and dryness went away. If you can avoid taking this birth control you should."

Ot12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am on YAZ for birth control. My first month on it was okay, I had mood swings and a long period which is normal because your body is still getting use to the pill. In the end of the first month my libido was non existant and I got so dry there under. Like the whole time and that dryness caused itching. In the beginning of the month I was extra wet, the dryness was no problem. My gynecologist said that it can't be the pill."

Sammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Month two and my skin has cleared up by 80 percent combined with prescription face wash. I was looking at accutane as the next option because I have tried everything including a vegan diet!!!!! However it was cystic acne that was in my cheeks and around my mouth which is very hormonal. I am 23 years old and this started getting bad around 21-22. I have always hated birth control pills because of weight gain, and side effects. However I have gained no weight and do not have that bloated ring around the belly or waist. I also no longer have sleepless nights before my period. This has solved skin issues and sleeping issues for me without bad side effects. My breast did increase in size but for me that is not a negative side effect. Sex drive has gone down but hey I am in grad school and it helps me stay more focused on my studies...lololol. Over all please ladies give this a try if your acne is hormonal its the only thing that saved me from having to undergo accutane!!!!!!!!"

Cassie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2018