User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 89 reviews 44 medications

Menstrual Disorders 99 reviews 8 medications

5.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 1174 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "After suffering from horrible cystic acne for a year I decided to go on Yasmin to clear my skin. Within the first 2-3 months there was no affect on my acne, in fact I thought it was getting worse. I considered going off the pill then and there but decided to wait until after the 3 month mark to see if there was any improvements. I wish I hadn't. My skin completely cleared however I've been experiencing extreme sadness, irritability & weight gain. I have been on Yasmin for about 5 months now and have gained just over 8kg. I am a very slim frame and have never in my life gained more than a kg or so. I also cry most days and feel very pessimistic about my life. I wish I had never tried Yasmin. I can't wait to feel like myself again."

S.jel.c (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took Zarah for 3 years, never missed a pill and always took it right at 3pm every day. So it worked great. No weight gain. No painful cramps. A light flow during period week. But I rated this 5/10 because I did end up getting pregnant 3 1/2 years after I started taking Zarah. I didn’t take any medications around the time I conceived besides my BC Zarah. My doctor was shocked when my blood test came back positive. So beware, even the best birth control pills can fail and result in pregnancy. I will say though, it was the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I have a beautiful 1 year old to prove it."

Q’sMomma (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I am nearly finishing my 2nd packet and it's made me skin flare up so badly, the worst I've seen it in over a year! I need advice, will this get better cos I've only just started it ?"

Millyagarx October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have never written one of these before, but my results have been amazing so I had to share! I was on Yaz for about 9 years to treat my acne, but it never, in 9 years cleared my skin! I struggled with cystic acne mainly on my chin and forehead and literally always had a pimple on my face. After starting Loryna, my skin began to clear up! Now I'm about to start my third pack and my skin is completely clear! I literally get like one pimple right before my period but its gone before my period is even over. I have no side effects. This has seriously changed my life and it's so worth a try!"

A! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I’m almost done with my second month of Yaz and it has been really tough. I was put on birth control for PCOS as a way to regulate my hormones and period. Both months about three weeks into the pack I get headaches, nausea, upper stomach cramps, exhaustion, throwing up, extremely sensitive breasts, horrible uterine cramps, sporadic facial hair growth (I have facial hair due to PCOS and I was hoping yaz would reduce it but it seems to make it grow faster during certain times of the month), and a terrible liquid yellow diarrhea (tmi I know). I’m trying to stick it out but honestly I don’t even know if this pill is helping with my hormone but we’ll see."

SChristineM October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was taking Gianvi for five years, maybe longer. My pharmacy switched me to Nikki about four months ago and I have noticed a major change with my body ever since. I have started cramping and spotting two weeks before I am supposed to start. I've also noticed more acne and some major mood swings. I'm glad to see that others are having the same problem as me. Once my current pack is finished, I will be finding another pharmacy that sells Gianvi and switch back to it."

Sam0425 October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This medication has made my acne severely worse. I have also been experiencing burning sensations during intercourse after beginning this medication. I am not aware if this is the cause, but my doctor has tested for EVERYTHING else so we are considering this may be the issue."

Madz1828 October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I've had 2 surgeries for 2 ruptured ovarian cysts as a result of PCOS and I usually have very severe side effects to hormonal medication. However, I did not want to experience the pain I did this last time so I found out about Yaz and decided to try it since it's anti-androgen properties could help my symptoms. I was prescribed the generic thanks to my insurance - Nikki - and was skeptical that I would get the full benefit. WOW! What a difference! I'm not even thru the first pack yet and my brain fog is GONE! My moods have evened out - I also suffer from PMDD - and I feel AMAZING!"

MissLeopard83 (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Fantastic results! But tried to stop them twice and acne came back after few month :( so had to start again"

Elena Ellul (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "My acne ranged anywhere from moderate to severe before I started taking Yasmin. I've been consistently using Yasmin for three months now, and I've seen a massive improvement in my skin. During the first couple of months there were no visible changes to my acne, if anything it got worse. Nearing the third month all the bumps on my forehead disappeared, leaving my forehead smooth for the first time in years. I still occasionally get large whiteheads on my chin and cheeks, but not nearly as severe. Hopefully in a month or two I will be acne free."

TeaganN October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I had DEEP, purple bruising cystic acne (difficult to pop and really didn't have much pus; mostly hard swelling) on my chin, shoulders and back. I am about 7 months in. My face is mostly clear and I don't get any more of the bad pustules; the acne I do get is small and pops easily. Redness and buttery looking face is gone. It really did help my acne/skin. HOWEVER I am sad to say I had too many scary side effects and have stopped taking it: -I had random soreness: under forearms, above heels, back of calves, inner thighs, tips of fingers. It hurt to walk, sit and type. -My legs would twitch at night and keep me awake. My ankles/toes would suddenly flex. -I had an uneasy feeling like I was coming down with a cold the entire time I was on it"

for-cystic-acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I got switched to this from yaz. The worst month of my life. Terrible mood swings, anxiety, not to mention I bled through the entire pack. I don't recommend this to anyone"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Yasmin for 11 and a half years. At first I didn't have any problems . But over the last few years I have noticed terrible things happening each month. First it was spotting, breast tenderness, mood swings, sadness, headaches, irritability you know the small little things. But more severely I have heart palpitations, dizziness, and now high blood pressure "

CharlCharl October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "DO NOT TAKE THIS IF YOU WERE SWITCHED FROM GIANVI. I was on Gianvi for a year and had no issues at all and my pharmacy switched me to Nikki last month... since I switched I have bloated, felt depressed and have acne (and I have never had more than two zits in my entire life). Do not let your pharmacy switch you to Nikki! I am going to try non generic Yaz and see how that goes. I do not usually write reviews but these last few weeks on it have been miserable!"

cc2017 September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I only gave this pill a 7 because it hasn't done WONDERS for me (I was hoping my skin would become flawless I guess) but I have lost about 4-5lbs since I started taking this pill. I just started my third pack 4days ago and the weight is still dropping. Not to say that will continue, I'm sure my hormones will level out in a month or two, but I am thankful I'm not gaining weight. I don't exercise anymore but I am semi-conscience about what I eat. I'm a firm believer that everybody's body is completely different and can and will react differently to different medications. I was put on this for PCOS bc my testosterone was high so it is supposed to help with that and I believe it has even as reluctant as I was to start taking BC again."

Sidcc September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Ending my 4th day taking this BC and I've been extremely nauseous since yesterday, didn't even go to work today. Weak. So sick feeling, bloated, constipated, angry and NOOOOO fuse. Yelling at my kids. So upset over this, I hate BC pills."

Lexyee September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have taken Yaz a little bit more than a month. I got bad chest pain every night and it hurt when I was breathing. This side effect was unacceptable so I decided to stop it after I talked about it to my gynecologist. I also have discovered that I am very sensitive to hormones so the dosage was too high for me."

crazyhormones3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I had such a horrible experience with this Birth control. The first week was fine. Week 2 to month 2 I bled the entire time and it wasn't break through bleeding it was full on period for two months. As soon as I stopped it within 4 days I completely stopped bleeding. I only give it two stars because it helped my light acne. This birth control is horrible for trying to regulate or stop periods."

CRivs85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I switched from lo loestrin Fe, because it made me stop having periods and made me nervous that I was pregnant because I didn't get my period. I switched to loryna and my periods came back and weren't irregular anymore, fairly light and less cramps. I have barely any acne besides some occasional acne on my backside. I've been having mood swings, low and high periods that last a week or so. It started affecting my relationship in a negative way and I've had more anxiety attacks than I did without it. Didn't make me gain weight at all, although it did make my depression a bit worse. I recommend this birth control but advise to be careful and if you notice it taking a toll on your mental health then switch. I've haven't switched yet"

Natralala September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have taken Yaz, Gianvi, and Loryna (Gianvi and Loryna are the generics for Yaz) and I've had excellent results with my skin. I never get pimples anymore and my skin has never been so clear. It did take 2-3 months for my skin to completely clear up though so you have to be a little patient. I also have never experienced any other side effects with this medication, so I guess I just found the perfect birth control pill for me :)"

T-RD September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I went onto Yasmin after being on the Depo injection for a few years, which made my mild acne more like moderate-severe. The Yasmin gradually cleared my skin completely and I'm so happy with the results (I've been on it for 3-4 years now). The only thing is, that I'm also using it as BC and I think over the last few years it has given me bad mood swings, some depression and massively decreased my libido, which have all affected my relationship. I'm now looking into the Mirena IUS as my Dr is worried about me staying on Yasmin as my family has a history of breast cancer- but I'm so worried progesterone only options will make my acne come back. I found Yasmin perfect for acne treatment, but it had some unexpected negatives for me personally."

Cheerio4226 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I had paragard for 3 years before switching to YAZ. Paragard was the worst thing I had ever put my body through and I DO NOT recommend it. Anyway, with the Yaz the first 1-2 months I was exhausted, dizzy, nauseous, sense of smell and taste were heightened, almost felt like early pregnancy signs. I decided to stick it out for the full 3 months to let my body adjust and I don't regret it! My acne is gone, my periods are light with mild cramping only lasting 5 days at the most, I had severe PMDD before going on Yaz and now I still get emotional of course but it's helped control my severe mood swings so much. Yaz has done everything my doctor told me it would do for me and more! PS- I did not gain weight on this pill"

Kfula (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on birth control since I was 16 now 22, I've tried 3 birth controls before Ocella. All previous ones had break through bleeding, mood swings & one gave me out of control yeast infections. That's when I switched to Ocella, zero acne, I skip my period, no breakthrough bleeds, no weight gain besides 3 pounds and a little bloating every so often. Best part, no pregnancy scares for the last 2 years. Love the protection and stability it's supplied! I will say I've experience intermittent anxiety on it, might try another kind of it continues. Hope this helped. Worth a try, it's kept me safe, happy and acne/pregnancy free."

Scottie L (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I had tried so many birth controls before this one and finally my doctor recommended another one. It was Yaz. probably the best birth control for clearing acne, ever. After just two months I'm already noticing a drastic difference. I am so so grateful. I can't even remember the last three I was on before this one but some made my acne so much worse and I'm so glad I found this one"

shay1200 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I recently started taking birth control for my PMDD and this is my second pack (Gianvi with my 1st, Loryna for the 2nd). I'm also diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) with Panic Disorder and depressive symptoms. When I was taking Gianvi, I had no anxiety, mood swings, a short period that lasted 4 days (it used to be 7-9), and my relationship around people, especially my boyfriend, is stable. It's only been my third week of using Loryna, and my anxiety and depression is back, I break out easily, I've been feeling this terrible ache in my lower abdomen, and I've been constantly arguing with my boyfriend. I'm definitely calling my doctor to change prescriptions!!!"

Irritated and Achy (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017