User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 79 reviews 40 medications

Menstrual Disorders 69 reviews 71 medications

6.3
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 875 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I was a little nervous about switching to Loryna after seeing all the mixed reviews, but I am so glad I did. Within the first 2 months I already had the clearest skin I've had since childhood. Even after warning my boyfriend that I might be moody or not in the mood after switching, I saw none of these negative side effects. Medications never act the same way for every person, but this worked wonders for me."

Long Commit August 22, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm on week 3 of yaz and I can't impress enough how it has exacerbated my depression. I am crying constantly, I'm getting cramps like there's no tomorrow and feeling nauseous randomly. I don't think regulating my period is worth the feeling of hopelessness, the lack of motivation and general low feeling I am emersed in after only 3 weeks!"

Sweetpea12 August 21, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill was horrid. I had irregular periods with a very heavy flow, mood swings, depression, anxiety, anger issues, cramps, etc. This is the worst pill I've ever taken. Gave it a 3 because it worked as a birth control but other than that it's a 1"

Leannnn13 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2016

For Birth Control: "I was on Implanon for a month and lost half my breast size, and spotted with extreme dryness everyday. Took it off after 2 mths after I realized it was giving me depressive and insecure feelings and was tired the whole time and was driving my bf away. I switched to microgynon and had hair loss and breast size reduction. Mood swings sometimes but it was far better than Implanon. Breast recovered by a slight bit but not much. But hair loss for 3 mths was hard for me to bear. So I switched to Yaz. Within 2 weeks, hair loss significantly reduced by 10 fold and I was getting my hair back! and my breast got bigger too, feel happier nowadays. Great, Yaz suits me well."

Best I've had (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I had horrible side effects of these pills Nausea, feeling depressed, low sex drive, vaginal dryness, feeling bloated, cravings, long period (3 weeks.) I did not feel like myself at all. I was very down. My mind felt foggy. But the worst of all was my skin. Oh my goodness. It got so many times worse! I got huge red cystic bumps. They were so bad I did not want to go to work,and people would comment on my skin. I could not continue and decided to quit just after two months! I kid you not - my skin got better as soon as I stopped taking these! I have barely had a pimple since. I'm so sad that I started with yasmine as I have horrible scars now. The effect though is very individual and I hope you have a much better experience than me!"

Kanskeinte August 18, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Yaz Plus for about a month now. I was worried at first from hearing about the blood clots, however, I find that there was not much to worry about. My first experience was breaking out. A lot. I also found my period to extend much longer, spotting for another 5 days after and I was getting a little worried but after 2 weeks of that, everything got better. My skin cleared up (any other breakouts was mostly from the heat) and it didn't really cause any cramps. I didn't find my sex drive to be any less than it was before and overall, positive experience so far."

Ledan August 17, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "For birth control purposes, never gotten pregnant. For acne purposes, my face used to be extremely broken out & this definitely helped. However, I gained about 10-15 pounds with the year I was on it (my boobs grew so that was a plus) & I started going into a depression & feeling like I was going insane. Needless to say, I switched."

Plots (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "My acne got worse and so did my moods. The only thing that was good about it is I was less hungry. I wouldn't recommend it for acne, but for birth control I would."

Kimdiesal 32145668910 August 16, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Yaz for a little over 4 months and have been surprisingly happy with it. I had mood swings and was pretty emotional for the first 2 months but it really has gone away. I was also bleeding a little irregularly at first but that also went away. The only complaint I have is that it has killed my sex drive and is causing problems in my relationship. I can't really ever get wet anymore which never used to be an issue. For that reason, I am switching to Paraguard which is non hormonal. I really wish it didn't cause me that problem because otherwise I love it!"

Katie10245zzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill is a nightmare! Horrific moodswings and general snappiness most of the time, with days of total lethargy and tearful depression. Also gave me chronic diarrhoea throughout my period and problems sleeping. It turned me into a different person which was frightening."

Flollywubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "AWFUL. I know it's different for everyone but this has been awful. I've tried 4 different birth controls and now I'm on this one. I have terrible cystic acne because of it, even have acne on my legs!!!! None of this has ever happened since before I started this. If I could post pictures I would. Also, I do not have a period. I mean that's kinda nice but I always take at least two pregnancy tests a month to make sure, even though I'm being safe. I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend it, because you should at least try it to see if it works for you. Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I'm just simply amazed and I hope this continues to work. I've only taken 2 doses of yaz and I went from constantly struggling with physical and emotional symptoms of pmdd and overall hormonal imbalancement to feeling much more at peace with myself. I feel lite and my body feels calm. I had anxiety, anger, I was hyper sensitive and so negative- I felt it physically. I would physically shake from anger. I could feel my uterus contract and cramp up when I got hurt and was angry. My pmdd had started early just 3 days ago when my breasts just felt so heavy with cysts that were so painful - it hurt to just get out of bed. I could sleep all day. I was cranky and could not stand being touched by my BF. Constipation and lots of gas as well."

EvaGurl (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Best birth control ever have not had any problems with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this medication for about three years now. The first few months were terrible. I broke out, had severe mood swings, I'd cry for no reason. After month four I felt completely fine. No more mood swings or acne outbreaks. My period got lighter, I stopped cramping as much. The only problem I have now is that I don't get as wet as I used to. But that's what lube is for. And hey, I'm not pregnant. So it's doing its job."

GraceG August 8, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Actually , I am still on the first month and I can tell I barely have side effects. In the first week I had naussea but It went away.There is no effect on my weight. Also I dont have increased apetite. My hair also has not changed. I take the pill in order to cure my acne. I can tell through the first month there is no increasing or worsening my skin situation before getting better. I think it is going to help me treating my acne very well and I am waiting for results."

Theodora123 August 8, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Been on this for a year and so far it's helped me lose 80lbs which anybody that knows or experiences PCOS knows it's hard as heck to lose any weight. It's helped the unwanted body hair go away for the most part and my periods come every month and are usually between 7-9 days compared to once every 4-5 months and being at least 2 weeks long before I started this birth control. The hair on my head grows fuller and faster and the facial hair is almost completely gone. I suggest this birth control to anybody that experiences PCOS or symptoms like it"

Pcos August 5, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I haven't been on the pills for a month yet, 3 weeks, and I'm going to try and stay on them for at least 2 months and if I don't see an improvement I'm probably going to change my prescription. I feel nauseous at least 30 minutes a day and now that I've gotten my period it's gotten 10x worse. Good helps for maybe 10 short minutes and I'm back to feeling gross and sick. I'm constantly tired yet it's so difficult for me to sleep. And my cramps have gotten worse, I didn't even think it was possible. My back and abdomin cramp at the same time (that's usual) and normally the only way to get rid of them is heat, so I take a bath and not even that is helping and of course the heat would make me more nauseous. Has anyone had this problem?"

Lacii August 3, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I went on yaz about 2 to 3 years ago to cure acne and very heavy periods. It worked brilliantly for both but it has caused extreme weight gain for me. I gained 10kg (around 20lbs) in the first few months and now I am considered overweight on the BMI for the first time in my life. I have tried everything from gym to cutting out carbs and can't lose any weight. I put this down to being a Estrogen Dominant pill. I just had my period and do not plan to go back on it."

MummaR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm a full-time athlete, never really struggled with acne but wanted to experience a birth control as my periods were irregular which disrupted my trainings and travel. I've never really suffered from acne in my life but the first month being on Yaz I had experienced the most pimples I've ever had. Now I'm left with scars. Now onto my second month I am seeing slow improvement, still getting a few pimples. I have put on 2kg which I'm not completely sure if it's been this pill or that I have increased my weights by a great margin..My boobs have also seen a significant increase in size.In the last month I have experienced,migraines,headaches,nausea. Not sure how this pill is going to play out but if no improvement is seen after 3 mnths im out"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was diagnosed with PMDD 3 years ago by my gynecologist & was prescribed YAZ. Let me just say that it changed my hormones to a more controllable manner. I love YAZ & I cannot live without it (honestly) without YAZ I have severe depression during ovulation & cannot get out of bed. PMDD was interfering with my day to day life & relationships. After 3 months of taking YAZ I felt 100% better, I know that every medication has side effects but I didn't get any on YAZ. I came off YAZ after my wedding to try fall a baby & fell pregnant within 8 weeks. I have now given birth & straight back on it as I wouldn't be able to go through PMDD with a new born baby."

Adriana33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Took Ocella for 2 years. It cleared up my acne and helped a lot with period cramps. I never got pregnant and was sexually active the whole time. BUT I gained an insane amount of weight with little change to my diet or exercise. I gained about 30 pounds during that time and was super bloated with a lot of fluid retention. Looking back on photos I can tell when I was on it by how bloated my face looked vs when I went off. Didn't notice much change in sex drive which is good. Probably won't use again."

WebsJR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I began birth control around 6months ago, before starting I had absolutely no problems with my skin. The first pill I tried was Cilest which I stuck out for 4 months- awful!! My face was covered in painful lumps/acne, I waited it out as recommended for 3 months but no improvements, it only got worse. I went back to the doctos and he gave me Yasmin which I have been on it for 2 months, I have noticed such an improvement in my skin- especially my chin area which was the worst affected. I can't say it's perfect my forehead is still angry and I have marks from where the huge lumps were but after only 2 months I can't complain! Definitely recommend to try for anyone who reacted badly to an older harsher pill's"

Niamh56 July 26, 2016

For Birth Control: "Concerns about a birth control drug called "Nikki" - the same exact thing as "Gianvi"? Doubt it: Took Gianvi for 4 years and gained 5 lbs. Then my provider switched me to "Nikki". In 3 months, I lost 15 pounds. Great, right? No, my backside and breasts went flat. I was alarmed, I looked like a boy, like I didn't have breasts at all. My OBGYN said it could not *possibly* be the drug and that I should go get a blood test and physical. Tests came back normal. Went off Nikki, gained 10 pounds. Gave Nikki another chance to see if it was a fluke. Quickly lost the 10 pounds I'd regained. I looked like I was dying. Went off Nikki again. Gained all 15 pounds of my weight back. Called my OBGYN again. She says it's a coincidence. I don't think so."

sarah2016 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I LOVE gianvi. I used this for birth control and for PMDD. I've had ZERO moodiness, very little PMS symptoms and very light periods. I've been taking Gianvi for 4+ years and can't say enough great things about it. My local pharmacy recently switched to a different brand (same hormone combo) of this birth control and I felt horrible, headaches, mood swings, stomach aches. Please be sure you are getting Gianvi and not a different name brand."

Happyh2138 July 21, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 18 years old. I am on month 4 of this pill and will be discontinuing its use once this pack is done. It cleared up my acne completely by month 3, which is why I am on it, but the mood swings are not worth clear skin. Im prone to anxiety, but my depression and anxiety have sky-rocketed, I feel completely hopeless and have panic attacks every day. My heart is always racing, and I also feel nauseated so easily. This pill makes me feel like Im going insane. Feeling this bad is not worth clear skin, but I give it a 3 only because it did clear up my acne amazingly. Would not recommend."

Anonymous July 20, 2016