User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 183 reviews 523 medications

Menstrual Disorders 69 reviews 71 medications

6.3
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 857 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm a full-time athlete, never really struggled with acne but wanted to experience a birth control as my periods were irregular which disrupted my trainings and travel. I've never really suffered from acne in my life but the first month being on Yaz I had experienced the most pimples I've ever had. Now I'm left with scars. Now onto my second month I am seeing slow improvement, still getting a few pimples. I have put on 2kg which I'm not completely sure if it's been this pill or that I have increased my weights by a great margin..My boobs have also seen a significant increase in size.In the last month I have experienced,migraines,headaches,nausea. Not sure how this pill is going to play out but if no improvement is seen after 3 mnths im out"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was diagnosed with PMDD 3 years ago by my gynecologist & was prescribed YAZ. Let me just say that it changed my hormones to a more controllable manner. I love YAZ & I cannot live without it (honestly) without YAZ I have severe depression during ovulation & cannot get out of bed. PMDD was interfering with my day to day life & relationships. After 3 months of taking YAZ I felt 100% better, I know that every medication has side effects but I didn't get any on YAZ. I came off YAZ after my wedding to try fall a baby & fell pregnant within 8 weeks. I have now given birth & straight back on it as I wouldn't be able to go through PMDD with a new born baby."

Adriana33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Took Ocella for 2 years. It cleared up my acne and helped a lot with period cramps. I never got pregnant and was sexually active the whole time. BUT I gained an insane amount of weight with little change to my diet or exercise. I gained about 30 pounds during that time and was super bloated with a lot of fluid retention. Looking back on photos I can tell when I was on it by how bloated my face looked vs when I went off. Didn't notice much change in sex drive which is good. Probably won't use again."

WebsJR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I began birth control around 6months ago, before starting I had absolutely no problems with my skin. The first pill I tried was Cilest which I stuck out for 4 months- awful!! My face was covered in painful lumps/acne, I waited it out as recommended for 3 months but no improvements, it only got worse. I went back to the doctos and he gave me Yasmin which I have been on it for 2 months, I have noticed such an improvement in my skin- especially my chin area which was the worst affected. I can't say it's perfect my forehead is still angry and I have marks from where the huge lumps were but after only 2 months I can't complain! Definitely recommend to try for anyone who reacted badly to an older harsher pill's"

Niamh56 July 26, 2016

For Birth Control: "Concerns about a birth control drug called "Nikki" - the same exact thing as "Gianvi"? Doubt it: Took Gianvi for 4 years and gained 5 lbs. Then my provider switched me to "Nikki". In 3 months, I lost 15 pounds. Great, right? No, my backside and breasts went flat. I was alarmed, I looked like a boy, like I didn't have breasts at all. My OBGYN said it could not *possibly* be the drug and that I should go get a blood test and physical. Tests came back normal. Went off Nikki, gained 10 pounds. Gave Nikki another chance to see if it was a fluke. Quickly lost the 10 pounds I'd regained. I looked like I was dying. Went off Nikki again. Gained all 15 pounds of my weight back. Called my OBGYN again. She says it's a coincidence. I don't think so."

sarah2016 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I LOVE gianvi. I used this for birth control and for PMDD. I've had ZERO moodiness, very little PMS symptoms and very light periods. I've been taking Gianvi for 4+ years and can't say enough great things about it. My local pharmacy recently switched to a different brand (same hormone combo) of this birth control and I felt horrible, headaches, mood swings, stomach aches. Please be sure you are getting Gianvi and not a different name brand."

Happyh2138 July 21, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 18 years old. I am on month 4 of this pill and will be discontinuing its use once this pack is done. It cleared up my acne completely by month 3, which is why I am on it, but the mood swings are not worth clear skin. Im prone to anxiety, but my depression and anxiety have sky-rocketed, I feel completely hopeless and have panic attacks every day. My heart is always racing, and I also feel nauseated so easily. This pill makes me feel like Im going insane. Feeling this bad is not worth clear skin, but I give it a 3 only because it did clear up my acne amazingly. Would not recommend."

Anonymous July 20, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I've been on Yaz for 7 months now, and I am extremely happy with it. I was always a ravenous, aching, emotional mess before my period. It was hard for me to function, and when I was in uni since I could skip classes and lie in bed and cry. I couldn't do that when I started working though. Yaz now makes me a functional human being every day of the month, and even gave me clear skin and an increase in appetite as add-on rewards! The adjustment period was shitty for me because I breakthrough bled my way through my first three months on Yaz, had really bad mood swings that came without notice, and then had a two-week long period. After that period, though, my body has accepted Yaz as its own, and my life is stellar!"

Hafiraz July 20, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "5 stars!!! Acne gone, my hair is stronger and shiny!!!"

Dee M.A July 20, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I went on Yasmine to get better skin for an upcoming event. It was the worst decision I could've made! My skin has never been this bad! My chin is full of cystic acne. Big and red and they leave terrible scars, I have now been taking them for 2 months and it only seems to be getting worse. I also have gotten some on my back, which I normally don't. Also I have had my period now for 2 weeks with terrible cramps every day!! Usually I only have it for a day or two. I feel decrease in sex drive and have felt low since I started taking Yasmine. So far these pills have only been bad for me but I do believe and hope that the side effects will linger off as I continue using them! Hopefully this is just a horrible transition phase"

EiraLl July 18, 2016

EiraL July 18, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I was taking this pill for pcos..i was fine for the 1st 24 days...after the 4 days of not taking it i then resumed and i started bleeding but the pain that has come with it is unbearable im now going onto my 5th day of intense pain..i too have taking myself off this pill and i hope the pain subsides soon."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was recently put on birth control for the first time. I am 24 years old and have always had heavy periods with severe cramping on the front end of my cycle. I chose this BC not only for these symptoms and contraception, but also for acne. I didn't see a major change in the acne. My period was much much lighter lasting about 3-4 days and the cramping was much more tolerable.... HOWEVER, this pill made me crazy. After a few weeks, I experienced EXTREME mood swings. I would uncontrollably cry and become very irrational, which is something I have never experienced before. My boyfriend quickly picked up on my emotional instability and said I was no longer acting like myself. Needless to say.. after 6 weeks, I am calling it quits."

Stephanie2107 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have only been on this a month. I am one of the several of you ladies who are going thru the antagonizing trial and error for the "perfect" birth control. Zarah seemed perfectly fine when it came to controlling my mood swings and not getting me prego! BUT, I have gained weight, and on my period week my flow was very heavy and crampy, plus it lasted the whole 7 days....eww, I am not used to that. I also did take note of how it effected my sex life. I still wanted sex, but noticed I had a very hard time trying to orgasm. sorry if that's too much info but I personally like knowing how the birth control effects my sex life. I hope some of this info helps. don't give up ladies!"

Br33zybaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking Ocella in March of 2016. It was the very first time I tried birth control and I am 26 years of age. I got on birth control because I am in a serious relationship but I am not ready for children and I wanted something to help me with my bad cramps and vomiting on the first days of my period. During the first week after my period I experienced breakthrough bleeding for about a month. Things were fine until I began having yeast infections. The first that I just thought ok it just a yeast infection. However I began to consistently experience them at least every month since then. I'm thinking of switching the pill as soon as I can to see if that helps. Besides this unrelenting side effects my breasts have become larger."

Skinny Mini (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "zarah was my first form of birth control. ive been on it for about 4 months and it's been pretty only a bad expirence. I've became very depressed and anxious. I am naturally fairly moody... but this has been terrible. It made me think my boyfriend was a monster. I would yell at him and in my head I. would blame all my depression on him and "how he treated me" which was fine. it the pill made me thing otherwise. it did clear up my skin and I've actually lost weight... but not worth it because my mental health is so poor. I'm very very sad and emotional ALL the time. it's not only sometime. I need to make a switch soon to a different one. don't recommend because of how I feel about myself and others. makes you very depressed can't stress it"

Marisasmith145 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was switch from Ocella to Loryna when my doctor prescribed me Yaz. Both are generic forms of the drug. 3 weeks into my pack I became severely depressed and tired. I slept for almost 3 days straight and could barely get out of bed. My skin started to break out all over, including my neck, back, cheeks, jawline, and forehead - and I hardly ever break out."

annegirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Yaz for about a year and decided to try the generic because of the cost of Yaz (about $60 a month, but had to pay $180 upfront for 90 day prescriptions). They gave me Loryna and I've only been on it for 3 weeks and I'm feeling miserable! I have extreme fatigue, irritability, moodiness and a little breast pain. I know they say to give the pill 2-3 months to work but I don't know if I can handle another 2 more months of these emotions. I've tried A LOT of generic bc pills in the last 5 years since they discontinued the one I was on and I've had problems on all of them. Sometimes those generic "inactive" or "filler" ingredients really do have an impact, be careful and wary of your side effects!! I'm going back on the brand Yaz."

NewYorkGirl10538 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

For Acne: "THE BEST DECISION EVER.I started antibiotics when I was 13 for acne. For the following eight years i struggled with severe cystic acne and white heads. I tried minocyclin, doxycyline, erythromyocin, tetracycline, bactrum orally (on them for at least 6 months). I tried tetrinoin .1% for three years, benzoyl peroxide, azaelic acid, and many other topical creams. My acne always came back but each time it came back worse. My face was always in pain. I decided to get on Loryna and it has been AMAZING. I didn't experience any initial breakouts. My face started clearing up right away. I'm entering my third month and my skin is clearer than it has been in 8 years. I also use clindamyacin gel topically x2 a day.No weight gain,hairloss, depression"

hleifna;fnfn; (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started the pill purely for birth control although I've always had painfull periods and terrible skin. Since being on yazmin, my face has completely cleared and I only have a tiny amount of acne left on my upper back. My periods are no longer a nightmare and only last around 2 days and the pains have almost completely disappeared. The only downside as it costs me $74 every 3 months but other than that I love it. I haven't had a single negative side affect to date."

Tatiyana June 26, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Zarah for about a year and for me it has done wonders. I suffered from acne to the point that on some days I wouldn't leave my house. My acne is completely gone and my skin is glowing. It's hard for me to forget to take it because once I look in the mirror and see the glow of my skin, I'm automatically reminded. I also suffered from severe cramping to the point of fainting and vomiting before bc and I have not experienced any cramping since I started taking Zarah. My period does however still last 5-7 days but it is very light which makes it nearly unnoticeable. My period is also regulated and always comes on schedule. I recommend it for anyone with skin conditions, irregular periods and bad cramping."

TeeGeePee June 25, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just started my second pack and i am pleased so far with the product. It seems like,based on all the other reviews, this bc is either going to be excellent for you or a nightmare. Luckily, i seem to responding well. I wont lie, the first week was terrible but i knew it would be since i was switching from gildess. The first day was ok, second day i was angry third day everything made me cry, i litterally cried all day long, next day i was tired, then i was pissed again and then my hormones finally calmed down. Ive noticed my acne and blackheads have cleared up significantly, my appetite is under control and my moods are more even. I am having a small amount of breakthrough bleeding which is to be expected on a new bc pill."

Pixie12 June 22, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Im 20 yr old and have been on birth control for 2 yr now ive tried every pill and even the implant each of them have cause horrid pains and bleeding, i havent got pregnant but experience bad moods and weight gain, nodoctor can seem to help its very frustrating that each doctors visit ive only been prescribed a higher dosage of the pill (now yaz) i feel like the only person who is experiencing this and if the doctors cant help what the heck am i supposed to do"

Helplessvag June 21, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Yaz for 3 months. The heavy bleeding, agony and cramps have all stopped. Plus the cravings. Although I feel very low and depressed. I seem to be overly sensitive and raw all the time. It's becoming harder to contain myself around loved ones as I am so emotional and seem to snap at everything and everyone. I would seriously recommend wheather this is the right option if you suffer from mental health issues or you are prone to it. I generally do feel anxious without the pill, although I have been feeling depressed recently, and it's dreadful"

Fateemah June 20, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I was taking this pill for PCOS and heavy periods, and also birth control. While it helped my period become regular (which is very, very nice), and I guess lightened my period (but not by much), the side effects are just too much. I've never had such intense breast pain in my life (I even tested for pregnancy to be sure I wasn't missing something), acne that I never had even as a teenager has been plaguing me, and my mood swings are awful. I switch from happy to angry and depressed within minutes, which isn't like me at all. I'm moving off this pill thank the Lord."

NickyKM (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016