User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Lo-Zumandimine, Loryna, Melamisa, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah, Zumandimine

Acne

Birth Control
5.8

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 6.2 1,354 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Gianvi has been a disaster. I was so excited to take it as I needed a birth control method and also have adult acne and PCOS, and it's supposed to be good for that. After the very first pill I felt very bad, with heavy fatigue, nausea, and headaches. I thought I had a stomach bug and just needed a day to rest. Then I started having panic attacks and severe depression. I had to leave work it was so terrible. Over the next 7 days the nausea and headaches persisted, and I alternated between periods of panic, anxiety, severe anger, and sadness. One day I sobbed the entire day for absolutely no reason. It ruined my sex drive. I couldn't get wet enough to have sex at all. I have run 25 miles per week for two years and never missed a week, but for the 7 days I was on Yaz I couldn't run because I was so exhausted. Even doing the dishes or taking a shower was too exhausting. My acne got a lot worse. This drug is dangerous!"

Katie May 21, 2018

For Birth Control: "Im 17, i took a pill called microgynon 30. I firstly took it so i wont have a period i thought less pain, less blood thats great right? I started taking it and everything seemed okay until about a week later i had brown like blood and it carried on and i had horrible cramps everyday and its still happening now as i write this. It turned out it was because i was meant to start it on my period day but i must have started it 3 days before but still it was a joke I couldn’t have sex or nothing all because of this silly brown stuff. It was pointless being on it if i was gonna still bleed, its meant to not make you bleed right? This is worse then me having my normal period, I prefer just to have my period now it didnt work for me and never again. I know it may of had to kick in and that but i didnt want to wait it was also messing around with my moods i was really depressed and sad and angry all the time."

Amy louise May 16, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Yaz is my 5th pill I have tried as a form of contraception & I have been really happy with it, I have more energy, I don't get bad mood swings in comparison to the others I've tried, my nails are longer & stronger, I am now losing weight before hand I found it hard to even though I was eating well & going to gym. However, the sugar pills (period ones) lower my appetite & if I eat too much I get really stomach cramps & last night I got bad constipation. My period is so much lighter though & I haven't ever had bad skin but it's still the same which is good. I personally rather have cramps than to argue & cry to anyone who is close to me, I got so scared sometimes on the other pills & thought that my boyfriend & I were going to break up as I'd get mad or sad at him for no reason. Yaz is my favourite & I won't be switching any time soon"

Sophie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So I just finished my first pack and so far am loving it. For the first few days I felt a bit nausea but that quickly disappeared. I've also notice clearer skin and all my friends has commented on that, proof if it does show. Just a little worried that I actually see red spots under my skin much like bruising at points but those disappear after as well even though they were visible on and off through out the pack."

Rochelle (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I was on Yasmin and loved it. I lost weight, my skin cleared, my cramps and bloating gone. I had severe PMDD and it helped BUT I was bleeding constantly. I felt so good I stuck it out for 8 months hoping to adjust which I didn't, so my doctor switched me to yaz and I ended up with the generic Giavni. It's AWFUL! My mood swings are back, I'm depressed and have no energy. I gained 4lbs and cramped 3 weeks out of the month. My back hurts. And I'm still constantly bleeding. I made it through two packs but I can't take anymore. So I'm switching again."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is by far the worst form of birth control. Ever since I started taking this Sunday (it is now Wednesday) I have had migraine headaches, extremely nauseous and vomiting after every thing I eat, after forcing myself to eat for energy; even though I am not hungry. The upside is I have lost 3 lbs in 4 days! Someone told me it is just my body getting use to it?!? I’m not sure if I believe that as I have never had any side effects like this with other pills."

T (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I started Gianvi March of last year and requested this brand specifically, because a friend had told me how well it worked for them, and it is the generic for Yasmin, which is often used to treat PMDD. I was seriously suffering mentally and emotionally every month before starting Gianvi. Granted I have battled depression/bipolar disorder for quite some time, but everything was so much darker right before my period. I was extremely irritable to the point where everything set me off and I'd get violent, I was crying uncontrollably, completely hopeless, suicidal, etc. In addition to this, I also suffered from pretty bad acne (I'd get large, painful, cystic-like pimples every month that would then often take months to go away). While I still do get acne (I've had it since my early teen years), I no longer get the kind of acne I had been, and it is much more manageable. I'm so glad I gave Gianvi a shot."

Kim (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Worst pill ever taken, destroyed my confidence and looks. Never take this stuff. Gave me melasma which is horrific"

Pissed off (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "MIRACLE! I am 23 years old and started to have acne at the age of 21. It's been 3 months since I've started the pill... and trust me, I couldn't be happier!!!!!!! No more acne, no more oil/shine on my face, no side effects and my periods are super light (for 2 days MAX.) I love it!!!! It changed my life!!! Really."

Isabourinx (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "The first probably 5 months of this pill was awful. My skin got worst, I spotted, and I had bad anxiety. However, it's been two years now and I have never been happier. I haven't had a bad pimple in MONTHS and my acne completely cleared. We stopped using condoms and have been fine, no scares. My period is only 3 days and very light, plus it starts always on the hour! It's amazing. Plus, I lost about 10 pounds from 127 to 117 at 5.4'"

AnnaKristine (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been taking Yaz for my severe cystic acne for more than a year now and it’s my favorite pill by far and I’ve tried so many pills. It reduces my skin and scalp oil production and I rarely get pimples. Side effects are none to minimal: no bad moods, no bloating, no hair loss, no foggy brain or fatigue. I feel like myself. The most weight I’ve gained is 3 pounds. Actually Yaz has helped me shed water weight from my previous pill because it makes me pee more often. My body looks more toned now. I was hesitant to try Yaz because it poses a high risk for blood clots. If you’re thinking of trying Yaz or Yasmin, definitely get blood tests to see if you’re at risk for blood clots. I’m taking a natural supplement which is the most potent blood thinner you can find without a prescription. I believe because of this, I can safely take Yaz without any problems."

SquareEgg May 6, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Con: Yaz has mimicked my pregnancy symptoms completely. From the nausea, to the bloat, the super sore breasts, to the dark spots on my face Pro: It made my periods super manageable, light and pretty painless. So you get the one week of not feeling terrible and the rest of the month feeling awful."

Hillary May 6, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill for 3 months and ended up very sick with an auto immune disorder (erythema nodosum) after I recovered I stupidly got back on the pill (as advised by my doctor) and found I was getting sick regularly. I stopped using this pill and had incredibly painful acne on my body, which stopped after a couple of months and I stopped getting sick so often. Although I have never had a great immune system I believe this pill caused me to get sick."

A (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I don’t know what to rate this right now, I have been taking Yasmin for a week now and my skin is freaking out, I’m also getting headaches I need advice."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I had been off of birth control pills for a year, but I started getting terrible periods. Bad cramps, vomiting, etc. So I made an appointment and was prescribed Nikki. I've been on it for almost two months, but I will be stopping today. At first I felt fine, but over the past 3 weeks I have started suffering from depression and anxiety. Bad. I think that birth control affects everyone differently but seriously watch your mental health if you try Nikki."

Del (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I started taking Yaz about 6 months ago. I suffer from very severe and painful PMDD & periods (I bloat for like 10 days before my period), have had a fibroid removed, ovarian cyst ruptures etc etc (just bad luck overall with my reproductive system). Docs have put me on a lot of pills in the past. I have to say Yaz is the only pill that has ever helped with my physical symptoms. But, it has also had the most crippling effect on my mental health. I've experienced sadness, anxiety, hopelessness and worthlessness like never before. I cry at the drop of a hat (not normal for me), I can't focus (and I'm in grad school), if my boyfriend doesn't text me back for a couple hours I'm basically on my death bed. It's crazy. I really thought I was going super crazy but I'm pretty sure it's this pill. I'm going to see a doc about it to see what they have to say. It sucks what we have to go through - choosing between pain and discomfort or damaged emotional health!"

C April 28, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I had been taking this for over a decade, since I was a teen. Never experienced any negative side effects at all. I needed it to regulate my period. No mood swings, no weight gain, no depression, the clearest skin ever. I stopped taking it six months ago. Experienced hair loss, tons of acne both facial and body, greasy skin and hair. It's been six months and these are starting to subside, but periods are irregular again. I'm thinking of starting up just because it was nice to have clear skin and regular periods. I would highly recommend this brand to anyone."

bunneh (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I have an updated review since being on Nikki from October 2017 onward. At first, it seemed like a miracle drug because it didn't cause any crazy side effects like mood swings or increased acne. However, the last 2 months, I've noticed an increase in weight from either fat or water weight. I thought it was due to an antidepressant I'm on but I got off that 2 weeks ago and I'm steadily gaining. I did some research on other birth control for PCOS and discovered that OrthoCyclen is low-androgenic and monophasic (steady hormones). I take the pill continously - no placebo pills - to prevent ovarian cysts that rupture. I just went thru and ordered MonoNessa which is the generic of OrthoCyclen and gets good reviews. Hopefully, it will not cause weight gain or any other bad side effects as weight gain is not acceptable to me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control made me feel AWFUL! I had terrible back and abdominal pain while taking it and even for some time after it. It took my body awhile to adjust and to feel normal again after taking this pill. It caused migraines, fatigue, and mood swings. I also experienced changes in my digestive system and felt bloated most of the time. I felt my personality completely change on this pill. Overall, I would not recommend anyone to put this pill into their body."

Shelb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is my first time on BC, I am 19 and it has worked really well so far! I have had unprotected sex a few times and no surprises yet! I did have mood swings the first week I was on it, I cried at literally almost anything, but I think that was just my body getting used to it because I haven’t had any since. The second pack my acne cleared up a little bit and I am now almost done with my third pack and my acne is flaring up again but I hope it will go away altogether within the next 3 packs - that’s what most reviews I’ve seen says that it takes about 6 months. Reading the reviews before I began this pill made me very scared but this pill has worked very well for me!"

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I'm almost done with my 2nd pack now and my acne got worse!! This is the worse since the day I was born! It is all cystic acne and very painful! The only good side effect that I can see right now is I don't get cramps. But I will still give it 2 more packs before I give up on it completely. I'll be back to give review again."

Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I was on Gianvi for YEARS and my skin was like glass. I was thin, no mental issues, etc. - and had NO problems until my pharmacy randomly switched me to Nikki. I've since gained 10 pounds on my 5'5' frame. None of my pants fit. My super thick hair has been falling out like crazy. My cystic acne is back. My mood swings are back. My cramps are back, and my periods heavy. What is this pill. STAY AWAY!"

Alisa (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2018

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Was prescribed Yaz, insurance gave Nikki. Always try to be educated with what I'm taking. Reviews were a little intimidating and despite more negative than positive decided to try for myself. By the second day started breaking out with cystic acne and extremely emotional. Crying, agitated to the depressive thoughts by day 7. (Didn't have acne prior.) Talked to prescribing doctor and stopped after day 8. Despite reading possible side effects nothing could prepare me for how quick and hard they hit. Not a good fit for me personally. Feel like Nikki should give a better warning how extreme things can be beforehand."

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: "I took the generic brand from Lupin Laboratories for ovarian cyst. I did not experience nausea or headaches and it helped with the cyst. The only downside was I starting getting dark spots in face. My doctor switched me over to Migrogestin 1/20."

sanie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2018

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started this birth control a little over two months ago, and let me just say there are definitely side effects but all GOOD!! I never had horrible skin but since I began taking this my skin is more clear than ever. Even some facial hair has stopped growing! All my co workers rave about how great my skin is. As far as other side effects the first few days I was very tired and slight headache but THAT'S IT!! And it went away after the first week absolutely no side effects! I was so nervous about starting this birth control as I have never taken birth control and reading these reviews scared me. Also there is no change in my sex drive and no vaginal dryness! I get married in a few months and I’m so happy the first birth control I’ve tried is actually perfect for my body!"

Marcy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018