User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Ocella, Gianvi, Syeda, Nikki, Loryna, Lo-Zumandimine, Jasmiel, Yaela, Melamisa, Zumandimine, Kemeya, Kyra Zarah

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 6.9
Acne 6.7
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 6.4
Menstrual Disorders 5.9
Birth Control 5.1
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.7 2,063 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

SarahB July 20, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I went on Yaz to treat my PMDD and I also suffered from irregular periods for five years after having amenorrhea for approx. 7 years. I wish I’d gone on Yaz years ago! It took going on this medication to realise that a lot of my issues and health complaints were caused by my hormonal imbalance, which I chose to ignore for over a decade. I am way less moody and irritable, less anxious, less fatigued, don’t get massive food cravings and hunger spells, feel the cold less (I used to always be cold), am more clear headed, and experience less negative emotions, such as hostility and jealousy. An initial downside for me was that my boobs went up a size. I really liked my small non-painful boobs. However, I’m learning to love my new size and after finally buying some new bras I am content. It also took some time for my body to adjust, e.g. experienced low-level nausea and spotting. However this did eventually end.”

paulaaaa123 July 2, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I’m writing this review because I drove myself crazy reading reviews basically every single night when I first started taking Yaz and I’d love to help out whoever might be doing the same.I always had relatively clear skin but a few months ago,I started getting hormonal cystic pimples. So I decided to go on Yaz. The first month was a little hard I’m not gonna lie. I felt “down” most of the time & I also broke out a whole lot in the first month which didn’t help my mental state at all. But I remained confident that Yaz would clear up my skin. As soon as I started my second pack, things fell into place. My mood swings are gone, I don't cry everyday & for the first time in my life I can say I have 150% clear skin(& no problematic skin)I've lost more than 15 lbs, my boobs went from 34B to 34D & I'm healthier than ever. All this to say: things might get worse before they get better but in the long run, it DID pay off for me and I hope it will for you too.”

roseythang June 29, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I have been taking the generic for Yaz for exactly 10 days. I'm 3 days in my pack of pills. I cannot give an adequate or detailed review, but I did notice some initial side effects. I've been getting headaches and stomach aches, so much so they often leave me sleep-deprived. I also noticed my breasts are much fuller, with from what I can tell at least half a cup size. Are developments like this normal? As for Acne-- My skin previous always had hormonal breakouts. Nothing I could do would get rid of these super weird, cystic chin pimples. It would leave me cripplingly insecure because I took such good care of myself. I felt so alone, and still do about my acne. Where I was previously getting the worst bits of breakouts, my skin has become a little enraged by these new hormones. I believe its purging because its in conjunction with where I already experienced acne.”

Smalls · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “This medication is AWFUL! First three months I broke out terribly in my chest and had severe headaches. Figured I needed time to adjust. Then last month I started getting bad pain in my ovaries- Yaz had caused a huge cyst- never had it before. Required surgical intervention. Not to mention my periods came whenever, wasn't even a period though, just bloody discharge and HORRIBLE cramps that sent me to the ER once because they made me vomit for 4 days straight. Obgyn pulled me off of it ASAP!”

aj · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I took this medication Yasmin in order to regularise my periods and avoid PMS symptoms of mood swings. However this pill worsened my situation. I have been suffering form immense depression and anxiety ever since. Anxiety with fast heartbeats. I've been possessive and anything around me would trigger emotional outbursts of crying and anger. I have cried every single day I took this pill. if you've got pre-exisiting anxiety or depression , I would advise you don't take this pill. It will literally ruin your life. I have got 4 days left for the pill. Never taking it again after that .”

Qlynn · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2020

For Acne: “My doctor suggested this birth control method after a terrible experience with the implant Nexplanon. Before Nexplanon my skin was pretty clear. After I put in Nexplanon I began to suffer from cystic acne, something I’ve never experienced before. It covered my entire face and was painful. I was so depressed for many months. My doctor put me on this pill form to help clear up my acne. Within a few months my face was clear again and I regained my confidence. I have had no issues with this pill and I have been taking it over a year now. It has honestly worked wonders for me and has regulated my period, helping it to be lighter.”

Erin June 18, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I'm affected by PMDD & really wanted Nikki to work. The first couple of weeks were okay, minor side effects like breast tenderness, but I was okay. Then gradually, little things started bothering me more to the point I was seething from them. I'd suddenly start crying out of nowhere. Then I'd be sad or triggered by something else. I lost interest in activities that brought me happiness & I just sat around in a miserable heap. I couldn't focus on things & sometimes I'd forget about something I had just done. I also had anxiety over the increased risk of blood clots, like there was an invisible guillotine just hanging over my head that could drop any second, & I'd be maimed or dead from it. I really wanted to get to three months hoping side effects would subside & everything would suddenly be okay, but I only made it into my seventh week before I got so depressed it scared not only me but my husband as well. When something makes PMDD sound tolerable, you know it's bad.”

Schar June 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “So I was on microgynon for about 4 years. At first was totally fine then somehow had put on nearly 3 stone, lost who I was, depressed and anxious. So I come off the pill for an operation and stay off, had a pregnancy scare and don’t feel comfortable with other contraceptions that stop your period due to my PCOS. My mum was on Yasmin for 20+ years and was fine with her. I asked years ago but they wouldn’t give me it because it’s usually for those who have acne but I explained my microgynon experience and the 3rd doctor I asked finally gave it me. First 3 months were difficult I got small acne on patches of my face (never had acne EVER even during teen years) and felt sick often. On my 4th pack acne disappears, no weight gain or difference in moods (might cry a bit more easily but I am taking a hormone). For now I’m happy and I’m monitoring weight and moods, honestly I’d try whatever pill your family has taken at least once because it could end up working better for you!”

Jazz · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Ocella for a couple of weeks and lost weight. It has completely changed my life. I used to have severe cramps every single day and I don’t now. I’m no longer bloated and going to the bathroom good. Acne has gotten a little worse and I’m a little nauseous at night.”

angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I have been using this medication for just over a month as a contraceptive. I never had issues with acne before and now I literally get a new pimple everyday and they are not small ones. Most of the time they are huge ones that pop up on my chin/forehead. On the plus side, I originally have PMDD and now I don’t experience any of those symptoms anymore.”

Storm with skin · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was quite sceptic before I started using Yaz pill especially because I read a lot of bad reviews. Also risk of developing blood clot was concerning. It has been one month that I am on pill and I have to say I am so happy I found out about this pill. As someone who is suffering from PMDD Yaz is life saver! I had really bad symptoms before my period, depression, anger, anxiety, I would scream when talking to my family members, I felt so miserable, I would have huge food cravings. Now, I feel much better, I feel in peace with myself!!!”

Sasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I started taking Yaz for my ovarian opolexy (sudden rupture in the ovary often at the site of a cyst, and there is hemorrhage in the ovarian tissue and abdominal cavity) plus I’ve had acne for almost all my life (I'm 23 now) and I've always tried to get rid of it but nothing worked. And so the first two months on Yaz my skin got so much better and I hardly ever got pimples. But starting my 3 month I’ve noticed that my acne started coming back and now I don’t know if I should continue taking it or not”

Chkrbr · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I am almost finishing my 4th pack of generic Yaz and I’d love to report better news but my acne is not better, actually worse. All over my upper neck and jawline which is hormonal acne - which is what I thought this BC specialized in! And I’m 32 so this shouldn’t be happening like I’m some teen in high school acne. Definitely started the BC journey and saw it purging and getting “worse” before better. But then 4 weeks ago my acne got terrible. I have tons of activity and surface white heads and even some cystic acne. I told myself I would try to complete 5 months but I just don’t see this getting better. Yes my skin has improved from when I had a really bad bad episode of acne 4 weeks ago but its still pretty bad. What a disappointment. I’ll report if anything changes...”

Veronica · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I started taking Yaz for my extremely painful periods. I got on birth control when I was 14 because my periods were so heavy and painful that I was practically paralyzed for the first two days. I tried a countless number of birth controls and also nexplanon which made me gain 20 kilos, got ache for the first time in my life, give me a non stop period for three years and I become very irritable and mean. I got on Yaz to help with my weight gain and emotional issues as well my painful and long periods, and it seemed to clear up my ache and I started losing weight, but after taking it for over six months, I’ve started to get little bumps around my chin and I’m very emotional. My periods are shorter but extremely painful again. And I’m having a lot of nausea and when I’m on my period now and have also been experiencing memory loss.”

Soph June 7, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on this Yasmin pill for a few months now and I have to say I’m really happy with it! I am a bit more emotional and sad but that comes with any pill really. I’ve gone through about 3 pills and found this one is the best. I have shorter and lighter periods and no cramps which is amazing. My skin is clear and my boobs have grown also. I do recommend this but keep in mind every pill has different effects for everyone:)”

Chix · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Yaz nearly cost me my life and my leg due to blood clots”

Lala · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Nikki is worst birth control I have used ever, mood swings, anxiety, stress, and I cry for no reason. My period was 18 days late, breast was hurting and felt like I was pregnant. I stop taking Nikki’s and 4 day later I got on my period . Wouldn’t recommend”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For Acne: “I started taking Yaz (my version is Mylan brand) about 3 months ago now for PCOS regulation. I have dealt with hormonal acne in the past but had thankfully not had any in the last few years. After starting this pill I broke out in hormonal, cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. I knew there was usually a purge when first starting the pill so I was patient and by the second month I did notice my face started to clear... but then came the third month. This month was worse than the initial purge and I have been dealing with an onslaught of hormonal cystic acne and seem to be getting new break outs each week of the pack. The odd thing is it will seem like the acne is calming down and my skin will look great but then the next day there is a breakout. I am holding out to see if the hormones regulate within the next pack and am looking to change to the name brand instead of a generic (there doesn't seem to be much information on Mylan). Hoping for some skin relief soon!”

Al · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 21, 2020

Syeda (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was on Sydea for greater than 2 years. I experience spotting throughout the experience (which is why I am changing my birth control now). I figured I'd give it some time. I also experienced minor acne/rash on my cheeks during my period. Other than that, no mood swings, period were regular, acne was clear while on the pill and no weight gain or bloating. I was 24 when i started the pill, weight about 125. Giving it a 6/10 because of the spotting was very annoying!”

nellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was reluctant to try a birth control for PMDD. I wasn't too confident it would help, and was concerned it would make me worse or something. However, after 2 months of being on Yasmin, I noticed GREAT improvement!! The first month I might have noticed about 25% improvement, but still had depression (which can get really bad 1 week prior to period). Second month, I noticed about a 70% improvement in PMS symptoms. Third month I noticed an additional improvement. I still get moody, but not severely depressed . This BC truly has helped me so so much. I just want to write my experience so others with PMDD can have hope.”

syd · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

For Menstrual Disorders: “I have been on this pill for a few days now. I switched from Lo Loestrin Fe because it was making me break out. I went on accutane awhile go. So getting acne again was the worst thing ever for me because I thought my fight was over. I got off for a month then started this new drug. Everything is going good expect that I am very nauseous. I even woke up last night throwing up. I hope this goes away very fast because don’t know if I can keep doing this.”

Arc May 14, 2020

Syeda (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Until I had to move back home from university because of COVID I had been using Ocella which had been alright for me. My boobs swelled and it is possible I had weight gain but I had just gotten off the IUD which messed me up bad. But when I came home no where had Ocella so my pharmacy gave me Syeda. I have type 2 bipolar disorder mixed with anxiety symptoms and taking Syeda for two weeks sent me spinning. My anxiety and hypomania have been awful, some of the worst I’ve had in a long time. It was not like this with Ocella and I don’t know why the pharmacies in my hometown are not allowed to provide it but I will not be taking Syeda again and would hesitate to recommend it to anyone.”

Mm · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2020

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I personally think everyone should try it! I was hesitant due to reviews but I’ve been on it for a month and after a year of struggling with hormonal acne I think trying this was worth it. The first two weeks I was a little more moody than usual and kinda nauseous but that has gone away! My skin is clearing, but as I’ve only been on for a month it’s not completely clear yet. I’m excited to see what a couple months does for my skin! Birth control was my last resort but I couldn’t get the hormonal acne to stop even after visiting the derm many times.”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “My experience with Yaz is quite terrible. My gynecologist put me on the pill to control my irregular periods and I was on it for only two months. On the third month, I found myself in ICU fighting for my life ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I wasn’t able to get my usual birth control so I used Yaz and had a terrible experience. I got bad anxiety and depression, headaches, nausea, moodiness and I gained several pounds around my lower belly in a matter of weeks. I would not recommend this birth control.”