User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 85 reviews 44 medications

6.1
Menstrual Disorders 87 reviews 71 medications

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 1071 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've only been on zarah for almost 2 weeks. I know, that is not long enough, but, I have noticed I become nauseous here and there. My mood changes frequently too. I never had these problems with other birth controls"

bentley1991 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Love this birth control. I was on ocella before and had to switch due to the pharmacy not carrying Ocella. My skin is clear with no crazy mood swings and no weight gain. My period is still 5 days the first two days are horrible. The cramping is the same, but I don't get PMS .This birth control is great if you are battling acne and PMS. It's totally effective. I have only been on it 4 months and I love it."

Jenwok May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I decided to try out Yasmin in the hopes that it would help clear my skin. For a long time I had suffered from hormonal acne primarily along my jawline and my doctor thought that Yasmin might be a good solution for me. It took exactly 3 months on the pill for my hormones to stabilize but since then my skin looks great. I've been on the pill for 7 months now and I never get breakouts anymore, it has really boosted my confidence. I've also been lucky in that I haven't really noticed any side effects. I've gotten slightly bigger boobs, but that's about it. For me, Yasmin is the best. And for everybody out there who's trying it out - be patient, it takes a while for the hormones to stabilize but when it happens the result is wonderful."

PippafromSweden May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Only positive: I have PCOS & this pill cleared my acne up nicely. This pill made me feel like an absolute raging psycho. I am angry, irritable, depressed, tired, and just absolutely so miserable on this pill. I've also gained about 15 pounds (lots in my stomach) in the last 7 months since I started it, and have developed melasma. I've been on numerous birth control pills and this is THE WORST. Changing pills ASAP. I'm tired of feeling this awful. Hope your experience is better if you're reading this."

MidWessssst (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I have been on a Yaz/Yasmin generic for about 1 1/2 years now. I originally started taking it to deal with constant and stubborn acne, which it slightly improved. Once I started taking Spironolactone to supplement the birth control, acne ceased completely. However, the weight gain, bloating and insatiable appetite I have experienced on this birth control pill is intolerable enough that I have decided to stop taking it. Since I was already on an antidepressant, I didn't experience the common mood swings associated with this pill. I would caution future users to keep close track of their weight and drink tons of water to curb the bloated look, but that can only do so much. For acne, I recommend just trying Spiro."

Broke Roca (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill was absolutely awful for me. 2 weeks in, I started feeling more irritable and moody, I ignored it, telling myself it just was the change in the hormones of the pill. I was on it for 2 months total, I got depressed on it, irritable, moody, cried for no reason, and got a migraine that lasted for days, it was unbearable. I also developed a yeast infection while on it. It was a miserable 2 months and I'll never go back. I rather take no pill then take this one"

Maria p (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Loryna for 6 years now. I also have been on birth control since I was 17 and now 26, with no breaks. I have no periods ever or spotting. My face is clear normally. No weight gain at all, I lose weight more than gain. I have read mixed reviews about this birth control, it can be good or bad. I have had no problems with the pill unless I forget to take it one day then I may breakout with pimples. I enjoy this birth control due to no problems. I recommend trying it, if it does not work get off of it. Most birth controls are not good for you anyways its not healthy, but being a woman we all need it for many different reasons."

Anonymous May 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My experience with Yaz wasn't great. While it eliminated my migraine headaches and made my period shorter, lighter, and diminished PMS symptoms - it gave me an awful intermittent tingling sensation in and around my extremities, a dull pain at the base of my skull, vertigo, heart racing and dizzy spells; not to mention a few near syncope experiences - one of which landed me in the ER. My OBGYN tells me I'm "pill sensitive." I was on Yaz for only three weeks from March-April. I am a 32 year old, slender, busy career-oriented woman. I did not gain weight on this pill. In fact, I believe it suppressed my appetite and I lost about five pounds while on it. Sensitive women may be disappointed. Still recovering from scary symptoms."

Titi Sophie (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am on my second pack of zarah and I started taking the pill because of my acne. My family says my acne has gotten a little better but I don't see much of a difference. Some side effects I found are that I am extremely unmotivated and tired. Being an elite athlete I am struggling with exercising and just want to sleep all day. I also only crave junk food. This may be mental but I usually love fruits and vegetables but I feel like throwing up just thinking about eating them. I hope I can snap out of it and get back to my life."

Paytonnn May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Well, I've been battling acne since I was 18- I'm 24 now. This has been one horrible, embarrassing and freakin' expensive ride. I've done everything from top of the line facials to the whole raw vegan thing. Nope, still cursed. This has led to severe depression and self esteem issues. I tried orthotricylcen-lo and it cleared things up a bit. Stopped after a year due to migraines. I'm now on my 3rd week of yasmin and I have noticed some changes in my skin. My skin is less oily but my many small zits around my mouth have turned into a few huge inflamed cystic pimples, moving toward my jaw line and neck(?). It takes about 3 months to see the full effects so hang in there friends! One plus side is my boobs are so swollen they look great."

Justkeepsmiling May 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "After going on my 4th month of taking Gianvi, I had to stop taking this product completely. While this birth control pills does the job of preventing pregnancy and is very easy to take, it also had significant side effects that way surpassed the pros. I had terrible mood swings, deep depressing feelings over trivial situations, uncontrollable crying and a total loss of sex drive. At first I thought it was just early menopause ( at age 40) but after doing some research and experiment , I realized that it was the bc pills."

J14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "This pill made me admit myself in the hospital. I've been on and off bc pills for a while because I never really found one that helped my acne and the side effects were usually depression and mood swings. My doctor prescribed Loryna to me for my blemishes and back acne and it was wonderful for the first two months seeing that my skin started glowing within the first week!! I also lost weight bc of a little nausea but that was nothing to me. Headaches began after the first month but I knew they would go away soon as they did. So everything seemed to be perfect until I woke up suddenly one early morning with severe, awful, terrible stomach pain and thought I was going to DIE on the toilet in cold sweats. It's in the trash now."

NaturalBeauty8779311 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I took this pill a few years ago at the age of 24 for about a year and at the time it was great! Acne cleared up, no cramps or weight gain, no effect on sex-drive and didn't get pregnant. I stopped taking it when my relationship broke down. Fast forward to age 29 and due to upcoming wedding decided to take it again to try and get my skin clear... been back on it for 9 months now and struggling with it. Acne doesn't seem to have improved, sex-drive gone completely and feel nauseous constantly (except pill-free weeks... I actually look forward to my period these days as it's the only time I can actually enjoy food). I have 1 month til our wedding and going to change after that"

Dreamcatcher87 May 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've tried several different pills and the nuva ring. I always had terrible side effects including bloating, mood swings, and dryness. This pill has been great. I've been on it for about eight months now. The only side effect I had was weight loss. I went from about 128 to 118 in one month."

Natalie S April 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started this medication in an attempt to clear my moderate hormonal acne. Unlike others, I did not have an initial breakout, in fact my skin started to clear up immediately as I began taking it. I am now on my second month in and other than my skin clearing up I have not experienced any other side effects. I highly recommend this birth control and have only positive things to say about it. Not only did it help improve my self esteem and acne but it has also regulated my periods."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've taken other birth control pills to treat my acne, and this one is the worst that I've been taking so far and I hope to stop it as soon as possible. The pills significantly decreased my menstrual blood flow. However, I've been bleeding straight for half a month. I doubt if this works on acne. Immediately after taking my first pill, I had another severe acne breakout. I was at my home on spring break and I'm sure the breakout isn't from stress or the lack of sleep."

SherryC72 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "At first I thought this pill was great, after 9 months however I was an emotional mess and a stone heavier! Different pills work for different people so it's always better to try things rather than taking these reviews for gospel but they really didn't agree with me in the end. I was prescribed anti-depressants 2 months after starting Yasmin and didn't see the connection. It was only when I was finding it hard to cope whilst on the antidepressants that I did a bit of research! I've stopped taking Yasmin now and it's been almost a month. I still have the odd over thinking episode but I'm largely so much better!!! I'm still on antidepressants and have started taking the POP on Drs advice! I didn't get pregnant though so it works!"

Hayley Seaweed April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill for about a month. What I loved about it is I felt great on it -periods were light, my headaches I had from previous bc were gone, I lost weight and even felt more balanced mood wise on this pill. I loved it. Then all of a sudden I got a breakout of eczema under my armpits. I have never had issue with eczema in my life. It was embarrassing because my armpits itched all the time. It also spread to my legs all of a sudden. My general doctor got some cream to put on it and it still was not clearing up after 3 weeks. I decided to switch back to my previous bc and within 2 days the eczema started to feel better and eventually cleared. I am not sure what I was allergic to in that medication but it didn't like me."

lisabonet April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've recently come off yasmin due to reading about the increased risk of blood clots. However I was on it for a number of years and had an OK experience with it. The positives were I had no headaches (I had excruciating migraines with marvelon) and my skin was perfect - only the occasional spot before my period similar to what it was like on diannette. However the bad side effects for me were weight gain, I put on roughly half a stone which no matter what I couldn't shift and I was tired all the time. I also had zero sex drive. I'd recommend trying yasmin if you're concerned about acne and particularly if you're looking to come off diannette. However as I say it's not perfect and everyone reacts differently."

Becca K (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill because everything else gave me cystic acne. At first, I loved this pill, besides the fact that it gave me terrible mood swings and no sex drive. I tolerated that part because it seemed like I was losing lbs and increasing bra size which I was happy about. But about a year into it I started going thru periods of what seemed like depression, lasting about 3 months at the longest. 2 years into it, I'd gained about 10 lbs in 3 months (without any lifestyle change) and NOTHING I did would help me lose the weight. Finally I decided to stop taking it 1 month ago and I already lost 5 lbs, am 10x happier, and my sex drive is back. Didn't get pregnant, but not worth the long-term side effects."

collegestudent92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "(Continuation) It was on the fourth month, my condition got better but still with bouts of migraine and what I noticed is that I somehow smell "down there". Though my BV was treated more than five months ago, I became worried about it. Before the fifth pack, I forgot to take a pill so I had to follow how to continue it. I stopped by the fifth pack because I simply couldn't take it anymore. Migraine was so severe and depression and anxiety made me feel restless. I bled again. The smell of my discharge is not really good like there was something rotten (I don't use tampon). I gained weight too. Though I have lesser acne. But I can't prolong my agony anymore so I stopped."

madis April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I am surprised how fast people give up on this pill. It can take up to 2-6 months for any birth control pill to eradicate acne. I'm taking Yasmin to prevent acne on my scalp. It took 1 month to work. I really like this pill."

Million M April 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Best hormonal contraception I've tried. Originally used the cheap Levlen brand, which made me emotional and gain weight. Also tried Implanon, the arm implant, but continually spotted for a year before having it removed. Nurse prescribed Yaz for me after an unwanted pregnancy. It made my periods lighter and shorter, and not as painful; I have no side effects or mood swings; my skin is clearer, and I haven't added any weight because of it. I like that it has 24 active pills and I often skip periods. The only downside is the price - it's quite expensive in Australia."

Pixie14 April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "First few months weren't great. Had breakthrough bleeding the first month for 2-3 weeks, was very very moody and irritated. Second month was normal period, moods were fine, but still had bad breakouts. Third month, normal period and acne started to die down. Fourth month, acne is almost completely gone and normal periods"

Aimsters April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE. Seriously, just don't. It's poison. I have PCOS and was prescribed Yaz back in high school (I am 24 now, so 8+ years later). Yaz made me an emotional disaster, even having suicidal thoughts and fits of rage. I went on Lo-Estrin & had great results, before discontinuing after 5 years. Fast forward to now, and my new doctor prescribed me this. It was worse than Yaz. I would cry for hours at a time. I was so anxious and irritable. I was absolutely awful to my partner. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy, 0/10"

Sarah T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2017