User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 86 reviews 44 medications

6.1
Menstrual Disorders 89 reviews 71 medications

Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 1094 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Vestura (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on birth control for over 5 years due to a BRCA diagnosis and this is by far the absolute worst brand ever. My pharmacy started giving me a different generic of the one I was previously on and it was the worse 4 months (insurance wouldn't cover another pack and buying one was too expensive). I went from having almost no period symptoms on Lornya to being in bed for 4 days puking and the worst cycles since I first started having them. I gained 10 pounds in the first 2 months of the pack and was having mood swings all the time. Maybe it was because I switched brands but this was miserable and i hope other women can avoid it."

saltlife19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Zarah for about 6 months now, after switching from another pill. The good things I like about Zarah are that my acne has cleared up and I don't have any super crazy side effects....however my period lasts for about 6-7 days and it's very heavy the whole time...this is the worst my period has ever been. I also get a migraine for about 3 days straight when I get my period. Definitely thinking about switching because the 6-7 day period seriously sucks!!"

sbishhh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Hello again! I provided a quick summary of my experience with the pill two weeks in below and wanted to give an update...So, the good news- my boobs are bigger and the acne around my chin area has subsided. Bad news, I've gained weight and I'm always bloated. I've always had a flat stomach, but ever since I started taking the pill I'm 24/7 bloated. All hell broke loose this weekend when I literally thought I was being possessed by the devil. I started bleeding heavily and the cramping was relentless and unbearable. After a night out, I came home and was overwhelmed with depression and anxiety. I was hypersensitive to every sound and I cried for 3 hours for god knows what reason. I'm hesitant to start this new pack after that hellish episode"

btl234 June 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been taking Yasmin for about two weeks and so far I have not noticed any side effects. It hasn't had an impact on my mood at all, which is good, but also hasn't affected my skin, still being patient because it's supposed to work from about 3 months. I was told by my GP to carry on taking the lynecycline that I have been taking for the last two months because I needed to settle down with Yasmin before I could come off lymecycline. I've felt no effect of taking both of them but it's obvious if I miss out a couple of lynecycline capsules because my skin suddenly explodes with whiteheads. Now I'm just waiting to see if Yasmin will do anything for my skin and when I can come off lynecycline."

Sailor189084 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am 22 and I've been taking yasmin for almost a year and it's pretty much okay, my skin is clear and cramps and PMS are a lot better than before. Side effects though are weight gain (around 13 lbs) along with bigger boobs and everything which is really not great. Also I have zero sex drive which is making me feel bad. I am thinking about switching to a lower dosage pill but I'm not sure about other pills because I have migraines and I'm worried it'll get worse (yasmin didn't really affect it)."

chahh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have had acne since I was 12 and I am now 29. I have tried everything from roaccutane to expensive cosmetic treatments to diets. I was nervous about going on yasmin as I took a pill previously called gedarel for my skin, which made me feel mental. Yasmin did make me feel a tiny bit moody but that was the only symptom. First month I broke out terribly. It was the worst break out in about 2 years. I am now on my 2nd month pack and skin is starting to clear. I do follow a strict skincare regime as well, always removing makeup, using toner and a good oil free moisturiser (dermalogica-active moist is the best cream I have ever come across for acne prone skin). I also exfoliate 2 times a week with glycolic peel."

Kay1987 June 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was prescribed birth control about 6 years ago due to complications from ovarian cysts. The very first one I tried was lo-estrin 24 which made me incredibly nauseas. I then tried a couple other ones but they all made me nauseous as well. Finally I was prescribed ocella. I felt pretty good on it. Didn't notice any weight changes. My skin looked AMAZING. I would just get bad migraines/nauseas/sick a day or two before my period and some days randomly during the month. It wasn't until I STOPPED taking ocella (or any birth control...long story/not sexually active at the moment) about 6 months ago that made me realize how much better I feel off of it. I feel like a new person. My mood is 10x better. Sex drive is back. Only down side- my skin"

Court4292 June 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "This medicine is by far the worst literally. Instead of help it makes me feel really tired a lot of nausea and vomiting"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I was given Ocella by my doctor to help cure my hormonal acne. My acne when from bad to very severe but I kept taking the pill hoping that all it was just an initial breakout. Seven months passed and my acne was at its worse. I finally gave up on the pill. What has cleared my face of acne is the regimen which I purchased online. My acne is gone but now I have acne scars which are deep pits in my cheeks. I'm now trying to get rid of the scars that Ocella caused me to have in the first place. DO NOT TAKE OCELLA!"

RubyWEst123345555 June 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "This pill is AWFUL. It made me sad, anxious (never had this problem before), and my skin worse than ever. I feel like my entire personality changed. I quit taking it and am already starting to feel better. Everybody is different, but I suggest looking into others, especially if you already have anxiety to some degree."

amf78554 June 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Zarah for about 2 weeks now. My doctor switched me to Zarah after my last birth control (the generic form of Yaz) gave me bad spotting. So far I've had no problems with Zarah. No spotting, cramps, weight gain, or emotional changes. My skin is clear and I'm no longer constantly in pain like I was before I started Zarah. I'm so happy my doctor had me change birth control pills."

Mari42 June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking Yasmin/generic brand in January 2017. I was put on anti-depressants at the same time. The first one was citalopram. I blamed it for my feeling out of it and depressed. After reading some of these comments I realize it possibly was the Yasmin. I'm not sure about anyone else but I have uncontrollable, teary, depression during the 2nd week of the pills. I am at a point where I will probably change because this is not good for my mental health. As awful as this medication is for my mental health, it has been helpful in lowering my flow and cramps. That's the only bright side of this medication for me."

Ali_Badazzle June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Yaz for about 6 months. A couple weeks ago I was finding it hard to breathe and having chest pains. To my complete surprise, doctors found I had multiple blood clots in both my lungs blocking almost my entire airway and admitted me into hospital straight away. I am a healthy 23 year old and doctors said they have never seen a PE (Pulmonary Embolism) as bad as mine. Tests came back confirming that the clots were caused from my YAZ pill. They told me that had I waited a couple more days I could have dropped down dead without any warning. Very scary to know the pill can cause this much damage to the body, I don't know how they are still producing and selling this pill. After my near death experience, I will NEVER recommend this pill"

geegeekate June 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was prescribed to this birth control but after reading the awful reviews, I was seriously considering going back to the doctor to ask for another. I decided to give it a try and I've had absolutely no side effects. This is my first time taking birth control and it really worked perfect for me. I usually have a lot of acne and that has cleared up a lot already, which is a big plus!! Don't be discouraged with the other reviews, it might work for you too!"

Ronnie12 June 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I'm just about to finish my first pack, so I don't know how helpful my experience with the pill is at this point. So far, my acne has not changed :/ I have had breakouts of small bumps and some larger pimples around my chin and mouth area since high school (I'm 24 now) and I've just about exhausted every other acne medication option. I'm hoping in the next couple packs I will start to see a difference. In terms of my mood, alertness, activity, weight - no complaints, I feel great! I felt a little emotional and irritable the first couple of weeks when my body was adjusting, but nothing crazy. I still work full-time and work out 2-3 times a week with no unusual tiredness. I haven't noticed any weight gain either!"

btl234 June 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was very concerned after reading the reviews for this birth control. My doctor had me switch to this birth control after I had been experiencing bad side effects from Blisovi. I have to say that this has so far been the best experience I've had so far with any birth control. My skin has cleared up beautifully, and it has been glowing because of this. Not only that, but also I have had the easiest periods with no cramping. I didn't experience any mood changes except for the first week on this pill as my body got used to it. It's important to remember that most people who do have great experiences with a drug wouldn't think to write a review on it. That being said, everyone's bodies are different. I recommend giving this pill a try."

Legzzzz June 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Yaz gave me horrible mood swings, depression, headache, sickness, leg cramp, hair loss, slow foggy brain, etc. I lost 1/4 of my hair. I'd feel so much headache to the point my brain became foggy when I tried to work. I couldn't read and think as fast as I could before I took the pill. It hurt my work performance and gave me horrible headaches and body cramps. My leg hurt really badly possibly due to blood clot. I quit it but got 5 big endometrial polyps while using yaz although something else might have caused them. I had surgery to remove them few months ago and I have been sick and weak ever since, became anemic, and couldn't work for months. I get super dizzy from anemia at work now. My body isn't like it used to be"

Jenny from the block June 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "just over a week on from taking yasmin... first fews days a noticed being slightly more emotional as in I cried pretty much every day for 3 days but my angryness was a lot calmer, iI found that it relaxed me a bit.... crying has stopped after roughly 3rd day in. Generally feeling happier and more calm , being a moody person due to hormones yasmin has helped with this. My skin has not yet cleared up.... hoping it does but will keep updated only been a week. my head I believe has been a bit cloudy, e.g. was driving the other day and didn't feel like i was completely there and hard to concentrate sometimes. I'm not sure if this is from yasmin but it might be worth thinking about and checking in on. bloatedness has gone! and decreased appetite."

yaz - one week in June 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control: "I was prescribed Loryna last summer and it cleared up some mild acne I had, and I tolerated it up until my second semester of college when I missed my period one month. I went to see a doctor and I was not pregnant, but she informed me that sometimes Loryna can make you miss your period. That freaked me out (because my period is the only sure way I know I'm not with child) so I switched Mylan, which had a higher estrogen level. Mylan was horrible. I was depressed, angry, crying all the time, and I started to feel no longerbattracted to my long term boyfriend. I switched back to Loryna, but the synthetic hormones had done their damage. I quit the pill altogether in March, and I immediately went back to my normal self."

Ceilingtile June 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "This medicine is a nightmare. On it for 7 years after the second year my sex drive vanished and it became a chore. My cycle was normal. My spouse and I were fighting over the most ridiculous things. I was blaming him even when it was totally my fault. The moods affected my work, I lost a chance at a promotion, which I blamed my husband for. Now he convinced me to go to marriage counselling and after a few weeks she started talking about medicine . I did not want to take any mood medicine. I was advised to see my gynecologist about stopping the Yaz / Loreyna . After two weeks of being off it I was feeling great I was happy about things again. I was not having arguments . I even felt feelings I Had not in years. I feel normal again. Avoid this "

Meganb44 June 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Acne is worse, migraines are worse, gained weight. Helped with pmdd. I switched back to aubra last week and my acne completely cleared in 5 days and I feel less bloated. I'm sticking with Aubra!"

Yogini_b (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've taken Yaz since 2006 and I had body issues. They switched to gianvi and still no issues. Now they switched to Nikki and I've gained 10+ pounds in 2 months! I feel so bloated and crappy. I also have migraines. I've asked the pharmacy about it because I thought I was losing my mind and found out many others are having the same problem."

Mamabearof6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just started my 2nd month of Zarah. I switched to this one because my precious BC was causing spotting. This is by far the worst birth control I've ever taken. I've been having severe mood swings and crying spells, which never happened before. I cannot take it anymore."

Stephner (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've only been on zarah for almost 2 weeks. I know, that is not long enough, but, I have noticed I become nauseous here and there. My mood changes frequently too. I never had these problems with other birth controls"

bentley1991 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Love this birth control. I was on ocella before and had to switch due to the pharmacy not carrying Ocella. My skin is clear with no crazy mood swings and no weight gain. My period is still 5 days the first two days are horrible. The cramping is the same, but I don't get PMS .This birth control is great if you are battling acne and PMS. It's totally effective. I have only been on it 4 months and I love it."

Jenwok May 23, 2017