User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Loryna, Nikki, Gianvi, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 2,302 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.7 2,302 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Hariet · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have started yaz plus two months ago and started my 3rd pack recently. My breasts are sooooooo sore! I have been experiencing fuller breasts that have been sore for the past month, and it seems it is present for the 3rd month as well. I am constantly bloated as well. Has anyone also experienced this? :(”

lily · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 5, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Took this pill for about 2 years. It really affected my mental health, and it took me a while to realise that it was the pill. I was really depressed, anxious and crying despite nothing objectively 'bad' happening in my life. I also felt this tension throughout my body and didn't feel like myself. So glad that I'm off this pill now. As for skin, it didn't make my skin significantly better and potentially made it worse by all of the stress that I was experiencing.”

Jolene · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 5, 2021

Syeda (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Syeda for almost 2 going on years. I’ve never really had a major issue with it. I do find when I’m on my “break week” that I’m very emotional and I get upset by the slightest inconvenience. Other than that, I’m on track from Sun-Sat and when I’m on the break week my period doesn’t usually start till the Wednesday and I have a full 5-7 day period. Everyone’s body is different, find what works for you!”

paulaaaa123 July 2, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I’m writing this review because I drove myself crazy reading reviews basically every single night when I first started taking Yaz and I’d love to help out whoever might be doing the same.I always had relatively clear skin but a few months ago,I started getting hormonal cystic pimples. So I decided to go on Yaz. The first month was a little hard I’m not gonna lie. I felt “down” most of the time & I also broke out a whole lot in the first month which didn’t help my mental state at all. But I remained confident that Yaz would clear up my skin. As soon as I started my second pack, things fell into place. My mood swings are gone, I don't cry everyday & for the first time in my life I can say I have 150% clear skin(& no problematic skin)I've lost more than 15 lbs, my boobs went from 34B to 34D & I'm healthier than ever. All this to say: things might get worse before they get better but in the long run, it DID pay off for me and I hope it will for you too.”

MGS April 7, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I LOVE Nikki! I read several negative reviews when I was prescribed this birth control, but I still took a chance. Since starting, I have had no period whatsoever. My PMS symptoms have dramatically decreased. My skin is so clear I can’t remember the last time I had a significant breakout which is huge for me. I was surgically diagnosed with endometriosis 2 years ago, so having no period & no pain every month is amazing for me. I know every birth control is different for every woman, but I wanted to provide my positive review.”

Ryry May 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I actually sought out user reviews to see if anyone else was benefiting as much as I am from this medication. I have bounced between Yaz and Lo lo esterin since I was 14 or 15. I am 22 now. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yaz besides the spotting. The spotting can be annoying and as a teenager I became anemic because of it. However, at 22 years old and with a much healthier diet, Yaz has been absolutely amazing. Lo lo esterin made me quite angry/have mood swings and would make me lose my breast tissue if I lost weight. On Yaz, my boobs have stayed despite dropping 15 lbs while taking it. I don't have angry mood swings when I take Yaz. My skin gets insanely clear when I take Yaz. My hair grows faster and thicker when I take Yaz (compared to Lo lo esterin). My sex drive is extremely high when I am on Yaz. I actually experience a lower sex drive when taking Loloesterin.”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “DO NOT TAKE THÌS. My 16 year old has just attempted to take her own life after 4 months on this pill. She was happy go lucky till taking this. I sit here crying writing this, seeing what it's done to my girl, it should be banned”

BB February 27, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I always said if I found a miracle cure to my acne, I would get online and write a review. This is the one. I'm 27, and have had acne since I was 11. My skin has never been completely clear until now. I've done Accutane (which did help, it reduced my acne in half and gave me more balanced skin), Spironolactone (helped, but my skin was never completely clear and it messed up my periods), Ortho Tri Cyclen (another b/c, didn't help), Tretinoin Cream, Differin, and just about every store bought or natural solution you can think of. My dermatologist literally told me, "Oh, so you've done it all." As other reviews stated, give it 3 months. That's when my skin cleared, and I've been 100% clear for 2 months now. I'd say more but there's a character limit. It's incredible.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on Yaz for 7 years starting when I went to college. I had been struggling with acne and excess hair. My periods at this time were a good 8 days of bleeding. When I started taking Yaz... nothing negative happened. My acne slowly got better and my body hair decreased. My periods also decreased to around 5 days and were generally less crampy and I lost less blood. Literally no bad side effects. You can also skip or move your periods if you are going on vacation. The only reason I'm looking into switching to an IUD is because its less work than taking a pill everyday. A lot of these reviews are bad because of selection bias. I'm sure there are tons of stories like mine but because they are so mundane, people don't share them.”

lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Honestly I was quite scared to start taking the birth control pill for the first time after reading so many bad reviews and hearing all these horror stories about it. But I have to say although I've only been on it for 2 months I've had almost no side effects at all. Only on the first few days I was a bit nauseas and my breasts were tender but besides that its been smooth sailing. No emotional changes, no weight gain, nothing. So don't let bad reviews about it get to you and give it a try, everybody has a different reaction to it.”

Nini · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Two months ago I was on this page because I was crying every night looking myself at the mirror for my horrible cystic acne. I was on my second pack of Yaz by then. I’m now on my 4th pack and I just wanna tell to anyone who’s planning to give up on this pill (because it might feel like it’s not doing your skin any good), to please hold on and continue! It will get better I promise! Your hormones just need adjusting to this medication. It will get better. Trust me.”

SarahB July 20, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I went on Yaz to treat my PMDD and I also suffered from irregular periods for five years after having amenorrhea for approx. 7 years. I wish I’d gone on Yaz years ago! It took going on this medication to realise that a lot of my issues and health complaints were caused by my hormonal imbalance, which I chose to ignore for over a decade. I am way less moody and irritable, less anxious, less fatigued, don’t get massive food cravings and hunger spells, feel the cold less (I used to always be cold), am more clear headed, and experience less negative emotions, such as hostility and jealousy. An initial downside for me was that my boobs went up a size. I really liked my small non-painful boobs. However, I’m learning to love my new size and after finally buying some new bras I am content. It also took some time for my body to adjust, e.g. experienced low-level nausea and spotting. However this did eventually end.”

AC January 29, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I’m here to leave a positive review, because all of the negative reviews might scare people from trying this birth control. I tried 5 other pills, the ring, and an IUD, and out of all of these the Yaz has had the least side effects. It helps keep my skin a little clearer, I actually lost weight while on it, and it helped my PMDD (which for me was inconsolable sadness and rage). It didn’t make it go away, but it absolutely took the edge off. I used to have 2.5 weeks of PMDD symptoms, now I just get kinda sad for 2 days before my period. The only reason I’m not rating it 10 is because I think it makes me a little more emotional/sentimental (crying at videos of kittens, which I did) but I’d rather be weepy over cute animals than raging out on my loved ones. I recently switched to another method, and switched right back to Yaz without finishing the month. Every body is totally different. I’m in my 30’s with PMDD and acne, and Yaz helps. I get the generic version at my pharmacy for $18.00.”

All Smiles · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I’m 40 years old and have been suffering for PPMD forever. Once upon time I was on one of those low dose pills that had the worst side effects. Stopped taking birth control for years and went on anti depressants which have their own set of side effects. Went to my old gyn doctor she said change your diet and didn’t really care. My new doc suggested Yaz, and my goodness the first month has been amazing!!! I don’t want to kill anyone anymore, I’m not fatigued to the point where I can’t get out of bed, my joints don’t hurt, I’m not depressed, and I don’t have to miss work. My skin isn’t amazingly clear but has cleared up some and my breast are much fuller now which is fine with me because they were starting to become flat anyway. I wish I stared Yaz years ago!!!”

Yaz February 13, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I started Yasmin after suffering from mild acne. I have been on Yasmin for 6 months and my skin has mostly cleared up. First 4 months of Yasmin, my skin was SO much worse, mild acne to cystic acne, with a breakout every few days. Now I am almost at 6 months I stopped breaking out in cystic acne and my skin has cleared up. I think Yasmin takes 6-9 months to see the full effect. The side effects that I noticed in the beginning - breakthrough bleeding, increased hair shedding, went away after the first few months. I feel that I stopped some of the side effects with vitamins and supplements. It is so important you supplement with certain vitamins as the pill depletes these - zinc, B vitamins, iron, vitamin E, D3, etc. I also take MSM (sulfur) which stopped my hair shedding and regrew my hair thicker. It is important to supplement as the pill depletes vitamins from your body. If you are experiencing side effects such as hair loss etc, please look into taking the above vitamins as well as MSM!”

Anonymous January 17, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m a runner and have no history for blood clots. I started using Yasmin mid September of 2020 and November 21st I went on a run and passed out. The first hospital visit they told me I just had SVT and was sent back home. My heart rate stayed at 120 and I felt like absolute garbage I couldn’t even walk two steps without feeling like I couldn’t breathe and was about to pass out again. I went back to the ER on the 23rd, they did some tests and I came back with an abnormal test for pulmonary embolism. I got a CT and they told me I had a large clot above my heart and going into my lungs, called a saddle pulmonary embolism. I was sent to ICU and spent 5 total days at the hospital. They told me it was the largest PE they had ever seen in a person of my age I'm a late teenager). If I hadn’t gone in when I did they told me I could’ve gone into cardiac arrest. I’m not saying this is something that is going to happen to everyone but I want to share my story.”

Storm with skin · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was quite sceptic before I started using Yaz pill especially because I read a lot of bad reviews. Also risk of developing blood clot was concerning. It has been one month that I am on pill and I have to say I am so happy I found out about this pill. As someone who is suffering from PMDD Yaz is life saver! I had really bad symptoms before my period, depression, anger, anxiety, I would scream when talking to my family members, I felt so miserable, I would have huge food cravings. Now, I feel much better, I feel in peace with myself!!!”

Soph June 7, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on this Yasmin pill for a few months now and I have to say I’m really happy with it! I am a bit more emotional and sad but that comes with any pill really. I’ve gone through about 3 pills and found this one is the best. I have shorter and lighter periods and no cramps which is amazing. My skin is clear and my boobs have grown also. I do recommend this but keep in mind every pill has different effects for everyone:)”

Kenny96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Hey guys.... so I’ve written on here twice before. Once about 2 weeks after starting Yaz when I started to break out after having perfect skin (I’ve been on Accutane three times and my skin was finally perfect) and then again at the start of the second pack when things got better... or so I thought.. I’m on the third week of my third month so basically meaning that I’ve been taking Yaz for almost 3 months and man oh man my skin has been the worst it’s been while on Yaz this month. I have bumps all around my mouth and jaw which I understand is hormonal. The texture of my skin is oily and bumpy and it makes me super self conscious. I’m giving Yaz three more weeks and if I don’t see serious improvement I’m getting off of it and will try something else. Besides the acne I do like Yaz (no bloating, no weight gain, has helped with my period which is why I went on birth control in the first place) but I just want perfect skin again. Good luck everyone!”

nellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was reluctant to try a birth control for PMDD. I wasn't too confident it would help, and was concerned it would make me worse or something. However, after 2 months of being on Yasmin, I noticed GREAT improvement!! The first month I might have noticed about 25% improvement, but still had depression (which can get really bad 1 week prior to period). Second month, I noticed about a 70% improvement in PMS symptoms. Third month I noticed an additional improvement. I still get moody, but not severely depressed . This BC truly has helped me so so much. I just want to write my experience so others with PMDD can have hope.”

Lily February 26, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “It is important to remember that only people who have had either awful or a great experience review things... most people are just average! Anyways I LOVE Nikki. No side effects other than spotting a week before placebo for a few months ( very light, only needed a liner so it didn’t bother me!!) No weight gain, depression, NOTHING. OH and she cleared my acne! I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a pimple. Remember that everyone’s body is different, so don’t get scared reading the reviews.”

Life changing · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I have suffered extreme PMS all my life but didn’t know what it was. When I was in my late teens I was on Yaz for polycystic ovaries and then one day the doctor said we don’t prescribe that pill anymore and gave me microgynon well that was it years of feeling crazy and depressed. I had lots of failed relationships I was bat crazy. I eventually got a new doctor who gave me Yaz again and things changed. I fell pregnant twice on Yaz and have two beautiful boys after that they refused to give it to me so roll on another 10 years of trying everything. My husband even had the snip so I didn’t have to take anything. I was watching the TV a year and a half ago and they were talking about PMDD as a disorder and I said OMG that is me. Lots of research and I eventually got Yaz again. Didn’t want to give it as I was obese and over 35 but begged. Yes I get sore heavy breasts, but for the first time in 10 years I’ve lost weight, I feel happy and my life is completely normal.”

Bryanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I have struggled with acne my whole life. I have taken everything you can imagine besides accutane. I used to take ortho tri cyclen lo and stopped for about three years since I didn’t want to take any medication. During this time I got off birth control, my acne and Bacne kept getting worse!!! I never thought that I would type these words, but Loryna has worked miracles!!!!!!!!!!!! It is only one month in and my skin is almost completely clear (which it never has been in my life) I keep touching it to see if it’s real. I also was so worried about side effects since all four other pills I tried (other bc) made me so nauseous. I only had a little bit of nausea the first few days, but then nothing with Loryna!!! I also was bloated the first two weeks but it went away and am also the same weight!! I have never loved a bc more and I almost didn’t try it because the reviews. I hope it helps everyone else.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve taken this Yaz pill for about 2 months and I’m going off of it now. The anxiety and depression that came with this were not worth it. Sometimes, it came at the end of the pack, but I had terrible emotional problems all month long. I would cry for no reason, have multiple panic attacks a day, and have way too many self deprecating thoughts. I’ve never had problems with periods before (no mood swings, cramps, bloating) but after starting this, I’ve experienced all of those. It’s been difficult to find a birth control pill that doesn’t come with emotional problems warranting antidepressants. I don’t know if I’ll ever find one.”

Gbaddd26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “So I was skeptical on taking this birth control due to reading the mixed reviews. I’m glad I took it anyways. I just finished off my second pack and I’m also using a prescription acne cream called Retin-a. My skin definitely cleared up. I had constant cystic acne, white heads, black heads. I looked like a teenager and I’m in my mid-twenties. My skin has occasional break outs during my period week. Nothing crazy, maybe 3 pimples at the most, which is a huge improvement from before where I would have like 20 at one time. I definitely recommend this birth control. Also I’m not pregnant ;)”

lily April 11, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “So, overall Yasmin has been pretty good! I was pretty put off by all of the reviews but I decided to give it ago because every body is different! Lets start with the positives- I feel less stressed about pregnancy (I still use condoms just in case though), my acne has stayed the same as it was when I took pills just for acne - providing I have a good routine Negatives- I had quite a lot of nausea which comes and goes but overall is manageable but can make me quite tired! I had a lottt of spotting and bleeding but I didn't find it much of an issue apart from the fact that I have to wear pads all the time. Sometimes I was a bit achy- especially my boobs but they definitely got larger! Before taking Yasmin, I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and my biggest concern about taking Yasmin was that I'd heard it makes your mental health worse, but for me it has stayed the same with sometimes feeling a bit more emotional over small things, but it's manageable!”

Emz April 29, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “My doctor put me on Yaz for post-pill acne and said to try it for 3 months and see how I liked it. It made my skin TERRIBLE for the first 2 months. Extreme purging of acne on my chin and jaw. It also made me very emotional. I was so close to stopping taking it but I wanted to remain hopeful after the 3 month period, things would get better so I suffered through the purging. I’m just about to start month 4 and I have had no acne for the last 2 weeks and my skin is almost perfect. I’m stuck with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from the purging but concealer can cover it up while my vitamin C serum does its thing. My face feels so soft and completely clear as of right now and my period is so light with minimal cramping. My insurance covers almost the entire cost of it so I’ll stick with it for a while and see if it keeps my skin clear! Definitely worth a try if you’re willing to go through the purging for a while first month or two.”

Acne but hopeful August 3, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Since I’m spending so much time reading through reviews on this page I thought I would add in my experience from this pill! I am currently halfway through my second pack of a random generic for Yaz. Like a lot of you my doc put me on this pill to help reduce acne (I tend towards blackheads, close comedones, as well as those dang cysts that stick around forever). Hate to say it but I am definitely one of the ones experiencing worst skin, since beginning I have had pretty constant cysts on my cheek/jaw area. Right now I can count about 8 different spots that are very red and will linger for weeks (as well as my original congestion). I am hopeful that like others have said by pack 3 I will wake up with that magically clear skin. AS A SIDE NOTE: I am miraculously side effect free other than the acne! No nausea, weight gain, moodiness, headaches, nada! I even started mid cycle and didn’t get any breakthrough bleeding. I will update with this same name around the three month mark”