User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol to treat Acne

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Nikki, Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 554 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 53% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 321 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Sophieblake · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was put on Yasmin 3 months ago for my acne as well as a use of contraceptive. Over the past three months my skin had gotten so much worse. Big cystic spots around my jawline and cheeks as well as small under the skin pimples. I've suddenly started to realise myself changing with depressive moods, anxiety, emotional wreck, weight gain and generally not myself. I will not be taking my fourth month packet as the hope for clear skin is just not worth this feeling. My advice- don't take this pill.”

hannah22 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Originally was put on Nikki for acne. I had breakouts the first month or two but by month five my skin was clearer than it had been in years with only breakouts before my period. However I did experience a lot of headaches and really intense mood swings to the point I was crying pretty much every day. I have a history of depression and anxiety and they both went sky high while on Nikki. I also was nauseous and had stomach issues while on it along with period like cramping throughout the month. I liked how my skin reacted but with the increased risk of clots and all the side effects it wasn’t worth it for me.”

Cards · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m 23 & been on Yaz for 4 months. I went on it for acne and my face is clearing up, but I am also on other acne medication. Other birth controls have caused me weight gain, depression, and mood swings. I have lost weight on Yaz and my mood seems stable which is good. My boobs have grown a TON, even with the weight loss they’ve grown at least a cup size. (Disclaimer: I dieted & exercised to lose the weight the medicine didn’t make me lose it) The only negative side effect is that once I started my period I have been bleeding/spotting for almost two months now. Hopefully that will regulate with time. So far it’s the best BC I’ve ever taken.”

paulaaaa123 July 2, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m writing this review because I drove myself crazy reading reviews basically every single night when I first started taking Yaz and I’d love to help out whoever might be doing the same.I always had relatively clear skin but a few months ago,I started getting hormonal cystic pimples. So I decided to go on Yaz. The first month was a little hard I’m not gonna lie. I felt “down” most of the time & I also broke out a whole lot in the first month which didn’t help my mental state at all. But I remained confident that Yaz would clear up my skin. As soon as I started my second pack, things fell into place. My mood swings are gone, I don't cry everyday & for the first time in my life I can say I have 150% clear skin(& no problematic skin)I've lost more than 15 lbs, my boobs went from 34B to 34D & I'm healthier than ever. All this to say: things might get worse before they get better but in the long run, it DID pay off for me and I hope it will for you too.”

BB February 27, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I always said if I found a miracle cure to my acne, I would get online and write a review. This is the one. I'm 27, and have had acne since I was 11. My skin has never been completely clear until now. I've done Accutane (which did help, it reduced my acne in half and gave me more balanced skin), Spironolactone (helped, but my skin was never completely clear and it messed up my periods), Ortho Tri Cyclen (another b/c, didn't help), Tretinoin Cream, Differin, and just about every store bought or natural solution you can think of. My dermatologist literally told me, "Oh, so you've done it all." As other reviews stated, give it 3 months. That's when my skin cleared, and I've been 100% clear for 2 months now. I'd say more but there's a character limit. It's incredible.”

Nini · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Two months ago I was on this page because I was crying every night looking myself at the mirror for my horrible cystic acne. I was on my second pack of Yaz by then. I’m now on my 4th pack and I just wanna tell to anyone who’s planning to give up on this pill (because it might feel like it’s not doing your skin any good), to please hold on and continue! It will get better I promise! Your hormones just need adjusting to this medication. It will get better. Trust me.”

Yaz February 13, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I started Yasmin after suffering from mild acne. I have been on Yasmin for 6 months and my skin has mostly cleared up. First 4 months of Yasmin, my skin was SO much worse, mild acne to cystic acne, with a breakout every few days. Now I am almost at 6 months I stopped breaking out in cystic acne and my skin has cleared up. I think Yasmin takes 6-9 months to see the full effect. The side effects that I noticed in the beginning - breakthrough bleeding, increased hair shedding, went away after the first few months. I feel that I stopped some of the side effects with vitamins and supplements. It is so important you supplement with certain vitamins as the pill depletes these - zinc, B vitamins, iron, vitamin E, D3, etc. I also take MSM (sulfur) which stopped my hair shedding and regrew my hair thicker. It is important to supplement as the pill depletes vitamins from your body. If you are experiencing side effects such as hair loss etc, please look into taking the above vitamins as well as MSM!”

Gbaddd26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “So I was skeptical on taking this birth control due to reading the mixed reviews. I’m glad I took it anyways. I just finished off my second pack and I’m also using a prescription acne cream called Retin-a. My skin definitely cleared up. I had constant cystic acne, white heads, black heads. I looked like a teenager and I’m in my mid-twenties. My skin has occasional break outs during my period week. Nothing crazy, maybe 3 pimples at the most, which is a huge improvement from before where I would have like 20 at one time. I definitely recommend this birth control. Also I’m not pregnant ;)”

Acne but hopeful August 3, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Since I’m spending so much time reading through reviews on this page I thought I would add in my experience from this pill! I am currently halfway through my second pack of a random generic for Yaz. Like a lot of you my doc put me on this pill to help reduce acne (I tend towards blackheads, close comedones, as well as those dang cysts that stick around forever). Hate to say it but I am definitely one of the ones experiencing worst skin, since beginning I have had pretty constant cysts on my cheek/jaw area. Right now I can count about 8 different spots that are very red and will linger for weeks (as well as my original congestion). I am hopeful that like others have said by pack 3 I will wake up with that magically clear skin. AS A SIDE NOTE: I am miraculously side effect free other than the acne! No nausea, weight gain, moodiness, headaches, nada! I even started mid cycle and didn’t get any breakthrough bleeding. I will update with this same name around the three month mark”

Olive · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Been 6 months on Nikki and I love it!! It has cleared my acne and I’ve only been spotting the first few months. Other than that no side effects! Please talk w doctor and don’t get scared from the reviews. People only want to review if they had a negative experience! I’ve gained no weight, not depressed, and I'm so much happier bc my acne is gone”

L February 6, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “3 months ago I was scrolling through the comments on this website in hopes of finding hope for my hormonal cystic acne. I was diagnosed with PCOS after going to various doctors for my horrible acne that was painful, all over my jawline and especially my chin. It scarred horribly and took forever to go away. I was then prescribed Yaz. When I first started, I could count for 10-20 cysts on my face. 3 months later, I don’t even have 1 active cyst on my face. The only reason I’m not giving this a 10/10 is the first month was terrible. I was constantly nauseous and even threw up a few times. It also caused an initial breakout that was worse than anything I experienced before (even tho my doctor insisted it wouldn’t get worse.) Besides that initial purge and nausea - I don’t have anything but good things to say. I’m finally getting my confidence back with clearer skin. This was amazing for me. I hope it works for you as well.”

phoebe17x September 4, 2014

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I had really bad acne. I'd cry about it for hours. I would wear a lot of makeup to hide the fact my skin was awful. I'm a very sensitive person so when people nastily commented on my make-up, it hurt. I would think it isn't my fault,it's my skin! I went to the doctors after receiving many acne medications (which had lots of side effects but no results). I was offered Yasmin before but I thought I was too young but it was my last resort before going to having Roaccutane. I was 13. I'm still on the Yasmin. I used to have irregular periods and mood swings. They've stopped and my skin is clear and beautiful now. I stopped wearing the slap and became more confident. I would recommend it!”

Bg · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have been on YAZ for almost three years now. When I first started on birth control I was on Alesse but it didn’t help with my moderate acne so I was prescribed YAZ. it has been almost three years and my acne has not changed at all - I have tiny skin coloured bumps all over my chin and then get whiteheads on my chin and around my mouth. I don’t have any other side effects and it has worked well for preventing pregnancy but has not helped my skin at all. Anyone else experienced this?”

Sarah November 7, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Just started my 4th month on Yaz. Zero side effects and my period and regular, shorter, and lighter, which I really like. My weight has stayed the same, which I’m also happy with. The main reason I went on Yaz to help my acne and I am still seeing no results in the 4th month. My skin is super clogged, greasy, and filled with pimples. I’ll probably switch if it doesn’t make a difference within the next few months.”

Emz April 29, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “My doctor put me on Yaz for post-pill acne and said to try it for 3 months and see how I liked it. It made my skin TERRIBLE for the first 2 months. Extreme purging of acne on my chin and jaw. It also made me very emotional. I was so close to stopping taking it but I wanted to remain hopeful after the 3 month period, things would get better so I suffered through the purging. I’m just about to start month 4 and I have had no acne for the last 2 weeks and my skin is almost perfect. I’m stuck with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from the purging but concealer can cover it up while my vitamin C serum does its thing. My face feels so soft and completely clear as of right now and my period is so light with minimal cramping. My insurance covers almost the entire cost of it so I’ll stick with it for a while and see if it keeps my skin clear! Definitely worth a try if you’re willing to go through the purging for a while first month or two.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Started Yasmin mid November after suffering from outbreaks of persistent chin acne that wouldn’t go away. First couple of weeks were fine, then came the outbreak, I didn’t break out everywhere on my face just my chin, but it was inflamed & painful, took time to heal, and hit my self esteem big time. I’m 38 always been an acne sufferer, had roaccutane at 21, which worked for a while, but after having my children my chin would flare quite severely. I was on Yasmin years ago and decided to try it again, to try and also help my heavy monthly’s to! I’m now into my third packet of pills and I’ve finally started to clear! No new outbreaks and scarring is fading nicely, my periods have been lighter & in myself it’s the best I’ve felt in a long time with PMS symptoms. For anyone struggling with the initial acne outbreak it does get better, it may not seem so right now but it does, I also used a 10% benzoyl peroxide and simple range to wash my face. Good luck x”

Coco · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I want to remind y’all that everyone’s body is different, so the side effects and bad experiences people post does not mean they will happen to you! I was freaking out bc I started this Nikki birth control pill and then looked at the reviews and everyone made it seem AWFUL. However, my experience has been great!!!! Cleared my acne and the only side effect was the first few days after taking the pill I would get stomach cramps that would go away, but was all normal bc body is just getting used to hormones. I haven’t gained a pound, not depressed at all, maybe a little bit more a temper but nothing terrible, no breast tenders but they look fuller! and no nausea. please just don’t get freaked out about the reviews because everyone’s body reacts differently.”

Beuaty January 5, 2009

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I am 24 years old. Before I started Yasmin, I felt like I was trapped in a 47 year olds body; always tired, moody, angry and never seemed to lose weight. I've also tried every acne product know. None of them work (not for me anyway) until one day I saw a commercial on television, about "Yasmin". After talking it over with my doctor he told me to try it and see. WOW! Let me tell you what happen to me. I kid you not, after the 1st week my face was clear, I mean beautiful. I didn't have to ware any make-up and I lost 10lbs within the first month. And for some strange reason, people don't call me bipolar anymore. I tell you Yasmin works from inside out. It is GREAT.”

Kenny96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Hey guys.... so I’ve written on here twice before. Once about 2 weeks after starting Yaz when I started to break out after having perfect skin (I’ve been on Accutane three times and my skin was finally perfect) and then again at the start of the second pack when things got better... or so I thought.. I’m on the third week of my third month so basically meaning that I’ve been taking Yaz for almost 3 months and man oh man my skin has been the worst it’s been while on Yaz this month. I have bumps all around my mouth and jaw which I understand is hormonal. The texture of my skin is oily and bumpy and it makes me super self conscious. I’m giving Yaz three more weeks and if I don’t see serious improvement I’m getting off of it and will try something else. Besides the acne I do like Yaz (no bloating, no weight gain, has helped with my period which is why I went on birth control in the first place) but I just want perfect skin again. Good luck everyone!”

pimplepopper · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Okay guys, I desperately searched this site two months ago when my acne was horrific. I had started Yaz for the acne and it instantly got worse for the first month and it felt really hopeless. BUT, it’s been 3 months now (the amount of time they say to wait) and it’s so, so, so much better. Please stick with this if you have hormonal acne it helped me so much.”

Chkrbr · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I am almost finishing my 4th pack of generic Yaz and I’d love to report better news but my acne is not better, actually worse. All over my upper neck and jawline which is hormonal acne - which is what I thought this BC specialized in! And I’m 32 so this shouldn’t be happening like I’m some teen in high school acne. Definitely started the BC journey and saw it purging and getting “worse” before better. But then 4 weeks ago my acne got terrible. I have tons of activity and surface white heads and even some cystic acne. I told myself I would try to complete 5 months but I just don’t see this getting better. Yes my skin has improved from when I had a really bad bad episode of acne 4 weeks ago but its still pretty bad. What a disappointment. I’ll report if anything changes...”

debbie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I only took YAZ for 1 month and 1 week and had to stop due to an explosion of pimples on my cheeks and jaw line that I never had before along with severe pelvic and leg pain and severe depression. My hair was also falling out like crazy. I am now 1 week without birth control and my mood has increased substantially and all of the side effects went away. YAZ also made me get a yeast infection on my FACE resulting in my breaking out in red bumpy itchy burning hives all over my face making the acne look worse than it actually was. I am now on steroids for the infection along with an antibiotic for the acne (BACTRIM) which I have taken before and waiting for these to kick in as I’ve only been on them for a week. Moral of the story YAZ wrecked my face.”

Helen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I started Yasmin 6 months ago and I love it. There has been no side effects for me, no mood swings or weight gain which I liked. I initially went on it because I started to experience hormonal acne around my jawline and chin. This has pretty much cleared up now with maybe a couple spots around my pill free week. Apart from that I would highly recommend this pill despite the negative comments I’ve read about it. Definitely give it a go if you experience hormonal acne or you want a pill that doesn’t make you retain weight.”

Bryanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have struggled with acne my whole life. I have taken everything you can imagine besides accutane. I used to take ortho tri cyclen lo and stopped for about three years since I didn’t want to take any medication. During this time I got off birth control, my acne and Bacne kept getting worse!!! I never thought that I would type these words, but Loryna has worked miracles!!!!!!!!!!!! It is only one month in and my skin is almost completely clear (which it never has been in my life) I keep touching it to see if it’s real. I also was so worried about side effects since all four other pills I tried (other bc) made me so nauseous. I only had a little bit of nausea the first few days, but then nothing with Loryna!!! I also was bloated the first two weeks but it went away and am also the same weight!! I have never loved a bc more and I almost didn’t try it because the reviews. I hope it helps everyone else.”

Iwantacnetobegone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I started taking Yaz along with antibiotics to cure my acne 3 months and a couple of days ago. I’ve read the reviews here religiously saying it would get better after 3 months. This is not the case! My acne got worse as soon as I started taking it month 1 was terrible also 2 and now I honestly see no difference. Please tell me if someone shared the same experience I don’t know what to do”

Abigail J February 1, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Before taking Yaz, like most people, I came on here and spent hours reading reviews. Per usual, I freaked myself out. You have to remember is that birth control effects every single person differently. You will not know how this medication will work for you until you try it. I'm 21 and have always had breakouts but they became cystic when I started college. I have done everything from dermatologist prescribed topical creams to changing my diet, and revamping my skincare routine. Literally nothing worked. I am now on the start of my 3rd month of Yaz. The only side effect symptoms I have had are nausea and breast tenderness, which are both manageable. As of this week, my skin is finally starting to clear up. Any breakouts seem to be small and manageable. I really hope that this is not a temporary thing (my skin sometimes has good days and tricks me into thinking my acne is gone). I would say anyone considering trying this definitely should!”

Jenfr · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was prescribed Yaz a month ago due to a hormonal imbalance, cystic acne, and water weight. I just finished my first pack and wanted to share with all of you. I have lost some water weight and my mood/hormones have levelled so much! Before I was around an 8 around pms but I haven’t felt above a 3 in weeks. This acne however is horrible. It has completely wrecked my skin. Everyday I have new cystic bumps along my cheeks and jawline. My doc wants me to give it a full 3 months, but I seriously don’t know if I can continue with my face like this. I’m 30, not 15. I have been using bp and been prescribed retin-a to help. I am Beyond embarrassed by it, so hopefully it gets better. Before yaz I would get maybe a handful Of cystic acne around my period, but I have a new bump everyday since I started”

#acnedrivesmecrazy February 27, 2014

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I must say this is GOD sent. I was on Yasmin for polycystic ovarian syndrome and birth control! At first I didn't know that it would help with my acne but it did help.... wow! i Was acne free for the five years that I was on Yasmin. I could actually go out without foundation it was amazing BUT for the past five months I came off the pill because I wanted to start my family, biggest mistake I ever made! My acne came back full blown and even worse than before. In that five months I tried every topical and home remedy but sad to say nothing worked now I'm back on the pill only four days and I'm already seeing a drastic improvement where my acne is concerned.”

Learn more about Acne