User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Nikki, Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 1310 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 35% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Ashmill June 22, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I tried Sprintec and Tri Sprintec before this and experienced more migraines, anxiety, and heart palpitations. I’ve been taking this for over a year and experience only good things like less bloating, clearer skin, and stable mood. I do feel like I get dehydrated faster so make sure to drink more fluids with this. I would definitely recommend this if you have bad side effects from other birth control.”

KT3553 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Was on Gianvi for about 2 years before CVS/Aetna switched me to Loryna. While I was taking Loryna I was a raging lunatic the entire time. I am typically a very laid back, easy going person, very non-confrontational, but on this pill, I literally could not control myself. Every single thing made me so unreasonably mad. I knew at the time I was overreacting to everything, but I couldn't help it. I never felt so out of control in my entire life. Eventually lead to me crying hysterically in CVS begging for them to fix my prescription, telling the pharmacist she should be in prison for changing my meds, causing a scene and getting kicked out. After that I stopped taking the pill, and never returned to that cvs.”

Ameliathebeaver · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “This is the second birth control pill I tried after the first gave me very bad mood swings immediately, I’ve been on this for about a year and a half now and my periods are short and I know exactly when I am going to get it every month with no spotting in between, it has been like this since I started it. It also really helped with acne, I never got acne very bad but I would always have a few spots, now I very rarely break out and when I do it’s usually not that bad and I barely take care of my skin. The only bad thing I’ve noticed is how it’s affected my sex drive, I had no problem with it before I started this a few months after starting my current long term relationship and everything was great at first but about 6 months after being on it I had absolutely no sex drive anymore, a year after that it is starting to come back but I’ve had to take measures to help myself. Overall I like this birth control and it hasn’t caused any problems that negatively affect my life.”

Ryry May 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I actually sought out user reviews to see if anyone else was benefiting as much as I am from this medication. I have bounced between Yaz and Lo lo esterin since I was 14 or 15. I am 22 now. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yaz besides the spotting. The spotting can be annoying and as a teenager I became anemic because of it. However, at 22 years old and with a much healthier diet, Yaz has been absolutely amazing. Lo lo esterin made me quite angry/have mood swings and would make me lose my breast tissue if I lost weight. On Yaz, my boobs have stayed despite dropping 15 lbs while taking it. I don't have angry mood swings when I take Yaz. My skin gets insanely clear when I take Yaz. My hair grows faster and thicker when I take Yaz (compared to Lo lo esterin). My sex drive is extremely high when I am on Yaz. I actually experience a lower sex drive when taking Loloesterin.”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “DO NOT TAKE THÌS. My 16 year old has just attempted to take her own life after 4 months on this pill. She was happy go lucky till taking this. I sit here crying writing this, seeing what it's done to my girl, it should be banned”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I've been on Yaz for 7 years starting when I went to college. I had been struggling with acne and excess hair. My periods at this time were a good 8 days of bleeding. When I started taking Yaz... nothing negative happened. My acne slowly got better and my body hair decreased. My periods also decreased to around 5 days and were generally less crampy and I lost less blood. Literally no bad side effects. You can also skip or move your periods if you are going on vacation. The only reason I'm looking into switching to an IUD is because its less work than taking a pill everyday. A lot of these reviews are bad because of selection bias. I'm sure there are tons of stories like mine but because they are so mundane, people don't share them.”

MGS April 7, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I LOVE Nikki! I read several negative reviews when I was prescribed this birth control, but I still took a chance. Since starting, I have had no period whatsoever. My PMS symptoms have dramatically decreased. My skin is so clear I can’t remember the last time I had a significant breakout which is huge for me. I was surgically diagnosed with endometriosis 2 years ago, so having no period & no pain every month is amazing for me. I know every birth control is different for every woman, but I wanted to provide my positive review.”

lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Honestly I was quite scared to start taking the birth control pill for the first time after reading so many bad reviews and hearing all these horror stories about it. But I have to say although I've only been on it for 2 months I've had almost no side effects at all. Only on the first few days I was a bit nauseas and my breasts were tender but besides that its been smooth sailing. No emotional changes, no weight gain, nothing. So don't let bad reviews about it get to you and give it a try, everybody has a different reaction to it.”

Soph June 7, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve been on this Yasmin pill for a few months now and I have to say I’m really happy with it! I am a bit more emotional and sad but that comes with any pill really. I’ve gone through about 3 pills and found this one is the best. I have shorter and lighter periods and no cramps which is amazing. My skin is clear and my boobs have grown also. I do recommend this but keep in mind every pill has different effects for everyone:)”

Anonymous January 17, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m a runner and have no history for blood clots. I started using Yasmin mid September of 2020 and November 21st I went on a run and passed out. The first hospital visit they told me I just had SVT and was sent back home. My heart rate stayed at 120 and I felt like absolute garbage I couldn’t even walk two steps without feeling like I couldn’t breathe and was about to pass out again. I went back to the ER on the 23rd, they did some tests and I came back with an abnormal test for pulmonary embolism. I got a CT and they told me I had a large clot above my heart and going into my lungs, called a saddle pulmonary embolism. I was sent to ICU and spent 5 total days at the hospital. They told me it was the largest PE they had ever seen in a person of my age I'm a late teenager). If I hadn’t gone in when I did they told me I could’ve gone into cardiac arrest. I’m not saying this is something that is going to happen to everyone but I want to share my story.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve taken this Yaz pill for about 2 months and I’m going off of it now. The anxiety and depression that came with this were not worth it. Sometimes, it came at the end of the pack, but I had terrible emotional problems all month long. I would cry for no reason, have multiple panic attacks a day, and have way too many self deprecating thoughts. I’ve never had problems with periods before (no mood swings, cramps, bloating) but after starting this, I’ve experienced all of those. It’s been difficult to find a birth control pill that doesn’t come with emotional problems warranting antidepressants. I don’t know if I’ll ever find one.”

... February 27, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Please be careful with this pill it has ruined my life I was on it for just over a week and it has caused me to have a psychotic break I have never had issues with mental health just a little anxiety but nothing I needed help for it’s just common things like crowds did I say the wrong thing in that conversation a so on but now I am having intrusive thoughts more panic attacks then I can count and I am the lowest I have ever felt In my life I have gone from a happy loving person looking forward to her wedding in 10 weeks to someone who doesn’t even know who I am anymore PLEAE BE CAREFUL!!! ”

izzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “ This was by far the worst form of birth control I have ever taken. I am quite a strong person and this had me in tears every day, questioning all of my relationships and physically I felt drained and ill. I had no motivation to anything, no sex drive and no will to even live. Don't even start this depression causing pill, would not recommend.”

bellavera August 16, 2009

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I just want to say thank you to all those who took time to write positive things about Yaz. I did a lot of research before taking the pill and frankly, it scared me. So many complaints and horror stories. The most important things to remember is that we all react to substances/hormones in different ways. I'm 35 and haven't taken the pill since I was 20. I am on my 4th pack of Yaz and am very pleased. I had a little spotting in the first two months and stomach discomfort, especially when I forget a pill. Aside from that, I've lost weight and stay slim even when not active, my breasts have gone up a full size which I love. My sex drive is fine, if not greater, no change in moods. Good luck to all.”

H December 14, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “2 yrs on yasmin pills 1.Beautiful glowing moist skin. 2.Proper period. 3.No pregnancy Disadvantages: 1. Severe anxiety 2.Depression 3.Low sex drive 4.Lost my sense of humor 5.Nothing makes me happy and alive 6.Morning sickness 7.Dry mouth when I wake up from fear! 8.Lost my hair 9.Foggy mind 10.Lost my self esteem I came off the pills around a month and a half. I started doing my blood tests and started taking - vitamin B - vitamin D - omega Helped me a lot in recovering ! I started drinking water a lot to flush the hormones from my system You're not alone ! We all suffered from this pill , believe me you'll be the best version of yourself after focusing on your health. You'll be fine , give some time for your body to recover and be patient with yourself ! " Love yourself and don't think of people's opinion about you ! You're in a temporary phase and this shall pass with love .. Stay strong ! With love H from Dubai”

Still skeptical November 6, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “This makes 5 months on Nikki for me. My body acne has completely healed. I was on the Mirena IUD right after my second child and it completely messed up my hormones. I gained 30 lbs in two months. Now being on Nikki, I have officially lost 20lbs without any real change to my diet . Wondering if I'm crazy or if this BC has actually straightened out my hormones. Has anyone else experienced weight loss?”

Jenna February 27, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve been on this pill for more than a decade. No issues. Slight nausea and a mild yeast infection when starting it, but those went away after the first few weeks, and after that I had 10 years of light periods, clear skin, nice hair, and stable mood. Sex drive was slightly reduced, but not enough to cause problems. I went off Yasmin for a few years to try the Paragard and honestly it’s been frustrating. Sex isn’t as much fun because I’m bleeding or PMSing for three quarters of the month, plus my periods, while not medically problematic, are annoyingly irregular - and they come with seven days of insomnia. Being on the pill put a stop to that for me. Yes, there have been a few benefits of being off it, but on balance, my natural hormones are not the magical fairy tale I keep seeing touted on the internet. I’m not saying everyone should take Yasmin, but if you’re thinking about taking it and are anxious about side effects, know that for some of us it ends up being fine.”

MG · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’ve been taking Nikki for almost a full month now. At first I was so nervous it was going to make me depressed and gain weight after reading all these reviews. However, I started working out more and watching what I eat and I’ve only lost weight in the last month. My mood seems the same besides I cry easier than I did before starting Nikki. Don’t let all these reviews scare you it’s important to see how your body reacts to it.”

Dani October 16, 2020

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “By far my favorite birth control I have ever taken. I have been on the pill since I was 16 (22 now) due to heavy periods and to help with my acne. I was on Loryna from 16-19 years old then tried the Kyleena IUD which was a nightmare for me. I ended up getting it removed after 6 months and went right back to Loryna. I have been the same weight since I was 16 and the IUD caused me to gain 5-8 pounds within 6 months, but my weight went right back to normal when I went back on Loryna. My skin rarely ever has any acne on it and the best part... I haven’t gotten my period in 2 years on this pill! Ignore the scary reviews and give it a try!”

Lily February 26, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “It is important to remember that only people who have had either awful or a great experience review things... most people are just average! Anyways I LOVE Nikki. No side effects other than spotting a week before placebo for a few months ( very light, only needed a liner so it didn’t bother me!!) No weight gain, depression, NOTHING. OH and she cleared my acne! I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a pimple. Remember that everyone’s body is different, so don’t get scared reading the reviews.”

Vic · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m 25, haven’t had an actual period in years (was on an IUD called Mirena). It was working fantastic for 7 years then came the expiration date. My desire to search for a new method of birth control begin. Considering how long I’d been on the IUD I figured let’s try something new. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE, it has been HORRIBLE finding a birth control that would fit my body & Yaz was NO exception. I have been taking the pill for two months. Side effects came gradually, things you’d assume: breast tenderness, cramping, bloating, lower back sensitivity. But there was something much more sinister bubbling up, so slowly I didn’t even notice, until I became a completely different woman. I have never been more depressed. Low energy, irritability, general feeling of discomfort, hopelessness, EMOTIONAL, crying all the time. Do your research but based off my experience RUN.”

Mel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was taking this pill for 2 years, during this time my long waist length hair started to fall out very gradually, after about a year my thick hair had become thin and had all broken off to neck length. My doctor was adamant that this pill was not causing my problem and sent me for blood tests to see whether I had some sort of deficiency. These all came back normal. I made the decision to come off the Yasmin pill last year. My hair has only just started to grow back - this is after a year of not taking the pill. I am absolutely certain after reading other Women’s reviews on here that Yasmin caused my hair to fall out. Please please consider what you are doing when taking this pill. I took this pill like many because it is marketed as the only pill that doesn’t make you gain weight. Putting on a little weight wouldn’t have hit my mental health as hard as losing all of my hair has.”

anise_elle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

Syeda (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “DO NOT TAKE Syeda! During Covid-19 my pharmacy switched me to Syeda from Ocella, didn’t think anything of it. Oh boy was I wrong. Gained 20 lbs FAST, had severe acne, and crazy depression and anxiety. Thought it was all due to Covid-19 stress. However from doing my research, I am now learning Syeda messed me up! Throwing it out now.”

lily April 11, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “So, overall Yasmin has been pretty good! I was pretty put off by all of the reviews but I decided to give it ago because every body is different! Lets start with the positives- I feel less stressed about pregnancy (I still use condoms just in case though), my acne has stayed the same as it was when I took pills just for acne - providing I have a good routine Negatives- I had quite a lot of nausea which comes and goes but overall is manageable but can make me quite tired! I had a lottt of spotting and bleeding but I didn't find it much of an issue apart from the fact that I have to wear pads all the time. Sometimes I was a bit achy- especially my boobs but they definitely got larger! Before taking Yasmin, I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and my biggest concern about taking Yasmin was that I'd heard it makes your mental health worse, but for me it has stayed the same with sometimes feeling a bit more emotional over small things, but it's manageable!”

Susie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Highly do not recommend Yasmin. Advantages - no pregnancy, lighter periods disadvantages- weight gain, bigger breasts, no sex drive, decrease in hair quality. Within first three months already had a UTI and Yeast infection which I’ve never had before in the past. Overall bad for me, I started being way more anxious and stressed out, felt like it was way more difficult to be happy at all. Do not recommend at all!! Feel so stupid as I didn’t link any of my symptoms till now even though I only started having these issues after the pill.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I had the WORST experience on this medication. The ONE and ONLY thing that got me through was the strength of THE HOLY SPIRIT. I took this medication for 10 days and I experienced crippling anxiety. Two months later, I am taking anxiety medication to get my body back to normal. If anybody is reading this and going through something similar, read the word of GOD. ”

Rebecca August 2, 2020

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was on Gianvi for two years and it was great. When I went in to get my yearly refill there was a mixup and I was prescribed Loryna. I called my doctor and they said they would fix it by the end of the month but until then I could take the loryna. After a week on loryna I noticed I started to have an extremely low sex drive. I started feeling like I was going crazy and my mind started to feel so fuzzy. I’ve never felt so depressed and anxious in my entire life. I would stay awake for hours at night tossing and turning and having extremely bad night terrors. One day I had an actual mental breakdown and almost had to be hospitalized. I tried to figure out what was going on and what had changed in my life and the only thing I could think of was the switch In birth control. I immediately stopped and with in two days felt so much better. The fuzzy feeling, depression stopped. My sex drive came back and I felt back to normal again. This pill should be banned it is horrible.”

Ell · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m on Yasmin for 3 years. 3 very long years. I started on Yaz And had it for a year and had breakthrough bleeding so was told to go onto Yasmin. Well. I’ve gained two stone. Skin is spotty around the time of the month which never used to happen. I cry if I’m tired or angry. I cry if sometime happens that wasn’t supposed to. I’m very emotional. I’ve had enough of it now and am changing pill after my break. My sex drive? Non existent. My mood swings? Dangerous. My body? Fat and tired.”