User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Loryna, Ocella, Gianvi, Nikki, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Zumandimine, Melamisa, Yaela, Lo-Zumandimine, Kemeya Kyra …show all brand names

Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 196 ratings for the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

SarahB July 20, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I went on Yaz to treat my PMDD and I also suffered from irregular periods for five years after having amenorrhea for approx. 7 years. I wish I’d gone on Yaz years ago! It took going on this medication to realise that a lot of my issues and health complaints were caused by my hormonal imbalance, which I chose to ignore for over a decade. I am way less moody and irritable, less anxious, less fatigued, don’t get massive food cravings and hunger spells, feel the cold less (I used to always be cold), am more clear headed, and experience less negative emotions, such as hostility and jealousy. An initial downside for me was that my boobs went up a size. I really liked my small non-painful boobs. However, I’m learning to love my new size and after finally buying some new bras I am content. It also took some time for my body to adjust, e.g. experienced low-level nausea and spotting. However this did eventually end.”

All Smiles · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m 40 years old and have been suffering for PPMD forever. Once upon time I was on one of those low dose pills that had the worst side effects. Stopped taking birth control for years and went on anti depressants which have their own set of side effects. Went to my old gyn doctor she said change your diet and didn’t really care. My new doc suggested Yaz, and my goodness the first month has been amazing!!! I don’t want to kill anyone anymore, I’m not fatigued to the point where I can’t get out of bed, my joints don’t hurt, I’m not depressed, and I don’t have to miss work. My skin isn’t amazingly clear but has cleared up some and my breast are much fuller now which is fine with me because they were starting to become flat anyway. I wish I stared Yaz years ago!!!”

AC January 29, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I’m here to leave a positive review, because all of the negative reviews might scare people from trying this birth control. I tried 5 other pills, the ring, and an IUD, and out of all of these the Yaz has had the least side effects. It helps keep my skin a little clearer, I actually lost weight while on it, and it helped my PMDD (which for me was inconsolable sadness and rage). It didn’t make it go away, but it absolutely took the edge off. I used to have 2.5 weeks of PMDD symptoms, now I just get kinda sad for 2 days before my period. The only reason I’m not rating it 10 is because I think it makes me a little more emotional/sentimental (crying at videos of kittens, which I did) but I’d rather be weepy over cute animals than raging out on my loved ones. I recently switched to another method, and switched right back to Yaz without finishing the month. Every body is totally different. I’m in my 30’s with PMDD and acne, and Yaz helps. I get the generic version at my pharmacy for $18.00.”

Storm with skin · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was quite sceptic before I started using Yaz pill especially because I read a lot of bad reviews. Also risk of developing blood clot was concerning. It has been one month that I am on pill and I have to say I am so happy I found out about this pill. As someone who is suffering from PMDD Yaz is life saver! I had really bad symptoms before my period, depression, anger, anxiety, I would scream when talking to my family members, I felt so miserable, I would have huge food cravings. Now, I feel much better, I feel in peace with myself!!!”

nellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was reluctant to try a birth control for PMDD. I wasn't too confident it would help, and was concerned it would make me worse or something. However, after 2 months of being on Yasmin, I noticed GREAT improvement!! The first month I might have noticed about 25% improvement, but still had depression (which can get really bad 1 week prior to period). Second month, I noticed about a 70% improvement in PMS symptoms. Third month I noticed an additional improvement. I still get moody, but not severely depressed . This BC truly has helped me so so much. I just want to write my experience so others with PMDD can have hope.”

Life changing · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have suffered extreme PMS all my life but didn’t know what it was. When I was in my late teens I was on Yaz for polycystic ovaries and then one day the doctor said we don’t prescribe that pill anymore and gave me microgynon well that was it years of feeling crazy and depressed. I had lots of failed relationships I was bat crazy. I eventually got a new doctor who gave me Yaz again and things changed. I fell pregnant twice on Yaz and have two beautiful boys after that they refused to give it to me so roll on another 10 years of trying everything. My husband even had the snip so I didn’t have to take anything. I was watching the TV a year and a half ago and they were talking about PMDD as a disorder and I said OMG that is me. Lots of research and I eventually got Yaz again. Didn’t want to give it as I was obese and over 35 but begged. Yes I get sore heavy breasts, but for the first time in 10 years I’ve lost weight, I feel happy and my life is completely normal.”

:) January 14, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Hi I'm 43 year my PMDD become worse the older I get. I use to be a bit moody 2 days before my cycle, now I'm a raving lunatic 1 week before and 2 days into the cycle. Only to start again before I enter the ovulation phase. I feel happy go lucky maybe 1 week per month the rest of the time I can't stand being me. I'm starting YAZ today wish me luck. I'll report back in a few weeks.”

Kath · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I suffered with severe PMDD for a few years and felt completely hopeless during my mood swings. No motivation and just completely lost. I started Yaz almost 5 months ago (along with Prozac) and will never go back. I was skeptical/nervous at first because of all the mixed reviews, but was willing to try anything to get my life back. I did have some nausea and diarrhea in the beginning but it just lasted a few weeks.”

Irena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I love Yaz. It changes my life. My periods used to be hell, I would even sometimes ending up in hospital. Throwing up and taking hard pain killers was all I could do the first few days. Not to mention PMS...I used to get very depressed before my period and not feel like myself. Only one week per month I would live normal without my menstrual cycle affecting me. Since I started taking Yaz, I'm reborn. First month I had side effects like sore breasts and bigger appetite, but after first month or two everything regulated and I'm feeling better than ever! My period lasts for 3 days (it used to be 7) and its almost painless!! PMS doesn't even exist! And plus everything I don't have to fear of unwanted pregnancy! Highly recommend it”

Lucyloo · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “This pill really does get a hard time! After reading all these reviews I completely understand people will have differing reactions to taking it.... but WOW Yasmin has been a game changer for me. I suffered with severe PMDD up to 9 days before my period and would completely change as a person, irrational, crying and starting arguments, incredibly sensitive and paranoid .... this lasted until my period came and then I would have another 2 weeks of feeling great until the build up started again. This pill along with taking 10mg of Citalopram daily has literally changed my life. I suffered for years and years with PMDD and finally live a normal life now, still get a little scratchy a couple of days before period with a little increase in how hungry I am .... but that is it! Best thing I ever did! :)”

Pmddrage · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I started taking yaz at age 17 to deal with PMDD and cystic acne that only popped up the week before my period but would always needed steroid injections and then scarred for months. It dealt with my PMDD like nothing has before or since taking it. I no longer felt like a prisoner to my emotions or on a rollercoaster from hormones!!! My skin looked like porcelain. However, it does have side effects. After 5 years I started noticing some hair thinning. I go to the bathroom more often on this than I do off it. My periods were light or non-existent to the point I thought, "how could this be healthy?" After 10 years I decided my body needed a break so I went off it. Well, in the last year my skin has ruined itself with cysts and my moods before my period range from homicidal maniac to so severely sad and depressed that puppy food commercials make me cry. I am going back on yaz next week. You have to decide if the side effects are worth it for you. For me, I can't live like this anymore.”

lisssabel17 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 31, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have had severe PMDD for 3 years and I resisted hormonal birth control until I was having psychotic breaks every 2 weeks. It was destroying me and was extremely difficult and painful for my husband as well. I went on an antidepressant (Lexapro), which helped throughout the month, but was not powerful enough to prevent me from having crying spells and severe dips in mood around my period. I finally gave Yaz (a generic of it) a go. The first week was awful. It was like having a milder version of PMDD for 7 days. I had crying spells and low mood the entire week. Literally the day I was going to stop taking Yaz, I started feeling normal again, and have been feeling normal ever since. I feel emotionally strong and balanced again for the ENTIRE month, like I haven't in years. This little pill has given me my life back. Looking back at myself without Yaz makes me sad, but I have come out on the other side stronger and with more empathy. No one should have to go through the pain of PMDD.”

Madz · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “So to anyone reading this, I want to first state, everyone will have a different experience, every body is unique, and with most BC pills, you need to wait 3 months in order for your body to adjust. However, this being said, after only a week on Yaz, I began noticing drastic improvements in mood. I was suppose to be suffering from PMS/PMDD this past week as my period starts next week, and for the first two days I was definitely an emotional wreck, but the following days, I noticed the horrible depression and anxiety I normally get for two weeks out of the month just suddenly lifted. I’m I am also experiencing very little nausea with Yaz in comparison to other BCs I’ve taken, and the appetite increase I usually feel around this time also disappeared. I’m pretty happy so far, I’m hoping it will help with my cystic acne and that any other symptoms won’t be too severe.”

Kiki August 21, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I got Yaz for my period cramps and also I was getting acne which I have never had. Works well for both no bad side effects so far. This is month 3. Boobs went from humble B's to DD's. I lost a lot of weight and was contemplating a boob job but not any more. They filled up and then some. Very tender but FULL. Only giving it a 9 because of the breast tenderness.”

Victoriamcc June 17, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I started Yasmin as I read that it helped with severe PMS and didn’t cause weight gain. In short, thought I was dying when taking this. A list of the symptoms I was experiencing, which have gone since I stopped taking it: Extreme fatigue (big into my fitness and I couldn’t do a 10 minute walk at times) Extreme emotions (crying, depression) whilst feeling numb and disconnected. Joint pain, knees especially Muscle pain and shooting pains in arms and legs. DOMS would last 5 days instead of 1 day. Weight gain - over a stone Constant nausea Night sweats Anxiety and chest pains, regular heart palpitations Declining kidney function Painful, swollen feet Bleeding under the skin Bad headaches Sore eyes and blurred vision Hair loss and brittle, broken nails Please reconsider taking this pill, I think it’s awful. now on the copper IUD and I’ll take the very painful periods any day over how I felt on Yasmin.”

Kikeyi25 September 15, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I just finished my first package of Yaz. It has been a patience struggle. I had been having issues with PMS, really violent mood swings and acne. First 2 weeks on Yaz were a breeze. Third week I started feeling extremely nauseous and tired, almost like if I was drunk. Next days I started getting stomach issues: diarrhea, bloating, migraine. I stayed on it and tried to be patient. Was taking ibuprofen daily to get on. I'm as of today on the sugar pills and I had my period for at least 10 days. I really think it made a difference with my cystic acne. I just got one cyst this month. However, my back got full of small flesh colored pimples I had never had and also I got them on my chest. I am open to take two more months of it. Its not all nice, but the body needs to adapt, so I feel it is normal to have these changes. What I did feel for a while was my veins hurting all the time, which didn't happen before. It got better after I started using compression leggings.”

Adriana33 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I was diagnosed with PMDD 3 years ago by my gynecologist & was prescribed YAZ. Let me just say that it changed my hormones to a more controllable manner. I love YAZ & I cannot live without it (honestly) without YAZ I have severe depression during ovulation & cannot get out of bed. PMDD was interfering with my day to day life & relationships. After 3 months of taking YAZ I felt 100% better, I know that every medication has side effects but I didn't get any on YAZ. I came off YAZ after my wedding to try fall a baby & fell pregnant within 8 weeks. I have now given birth & straight back on it as I wouldn't be able to go through PMDD with a new born baby.”

Ev · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have been on Yaz for 6 months for PMDD I knew the risks but my PMDD was unbearable so I thought nothing of it and it helped so much with my symptoms. Anyway, the last few days I was getting chest pains and my calves were throbbing. I didn’t think much of it until this morning when my right leg turned a purplish red colour. I called 999 and they took me to hospital. I’m still in the hospital right now because they have found a blood clot. The doctor told me it was because of Yaz. I’m absolutely petrified. I have 4 children at home and I’m not sure what will happen. Please lady’s please, think carefully before taking this pill. I know PMDD is devastating but a blood clot is just not worth it. God bless you all”

Amyowl August 4, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Over the past 10 years I gradually realised the link of having severe depressive like symptoms, anger, rage and extreme fatigue 2 weeks before my period. It got worse in my mid to late twenties culminating in an almost nervous breakdown and me having to take 2 months off work in my new career at the hospital. This I put down to inability to cope with the stress of working in acute care, but really it was debilitated by the effects of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) every month. Armed up with research on yaz online, I consulted a doctor in UK who had never heard of it. Anyway, I insisted on the medication and to this day have never looked back. I notice a huge difference in taking it and almost symptom free psychologically. Might not be for everyone. But if it does work it's fully life changing. I am very happy with the results so far. Now nearing 30 and much happier.”

Ct November 13, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “So I've been on yaz for over 2 years now for acne, PDD and birth control! The first year, I took about 5 months to fully transition onto. I was taking it because I had bad acne and and the pain with my periods were crazy! I briefly stopped Yaz after a year, as I started having a bit of spotting in the middle of my packs, so I tried Yasmin for a couple month which I absolutely did not suit me! My breasts hurt so bad, even when I was just walking. I went back on Yaz just over a year ago and I've never been happier. I feel normal I feel like everything is under control. My gynaecologist advised me maybe my body just needed a break for it to come back and continue to be effective. As of now, I have a period every 2-3 months, as I "skip" my periods as my gynaecologist advised and my skin has been amazing, the pain is hardly there and I've never been happier. Everyone's bodies different, Everyone has different level of progesterone and estrogen in their body so every pill will effect everybody different. Find what's right for you!”

Life changing results · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 31, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I used ortho-tri-cyclen-lo from 16-18yo. My periods were easy without any side effects. By mid 18yo I was experiencing painful and heavy periods, with strong emotional swings. My emotions became unpredictable, extremely reactive, and at times I experienced deep depression and strong suicidal thoughts - completely contrary to my personality and traits. My parents requested I leave university, until that night we read about YAZ studies. YAZ was the ONLY birth control with proven study results showing YAZ helps to control PMDD, which described exactly what I was experiencing. YAZ was immediately successful. 3.5 years later I am still on YAZ and graduating with a Neuroscience degree. P.S. Generic yaz experience was unsuccessful. 03/31/17”

T September 29, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I took this for one week and it almost killed me (literally) and I am still trying to fix a relationship. The dr prescribed it for me to help with PMDD. Within a day, I was nauseated at even the thought of food. I couldn't eat the whole week without throwing up or dry heaving. I had chest pains that felt like a heart attack. It also made me extremely paranoid (hence the relationship fixing). I spent two days with a migraine so bad I was eating Excedrin like candy. I contacted my dr to say I was not taking it anymore and she gave me excuses to keep going with it. Told me I needed to get used to it. That night I found myself laying in bed seriously depressed. Never been so low in my life. I immediately contacted a friend to talk to me until I fell asleep. I didn't trust myself. And my dr wanted me to adjust to it for a couple months? PMDD sucks but I'll take that any day over the week that almost ended my life.”

Mer · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “There are a lot of negative reviews here, but I'm grateful to say I've had quite the opposite experience. I had bad PMDD, heavy periods, and tried other kinds of BC without success, but my doctor convinced me to try Yaz. It has been AMAZING! PMDD symptoms are gone, and I've actually stopped having periods almost altogether. My doc says this is normal and not to worry about it....so instead I'm celebrating not having monthly periods anymore!! It obviously impacts different women very differently. I would recommend trying it to see if it's right for you and to follow up closely with your physician. If it's not right for you, STOP taking it....but if you're experience ends up like mine, it's an incredible blessing :)”

aj · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I took this medication Yasmin in order to regularise my periods and avoid PMS symptoms of mood swings. However this pill worsened my situation. I have been suffering form immense depression and anxiety ever since. Anxiety with fast heartbeats. I've been possessive and anything around me would trigger emotional outbursts of crying and anger. I have cried every single day I took this pill. if you've got pre-exisiting anxiety or depression , I would advise you don't take this pill. It will literally ruin your life. I have got 4 days left for the pill. Never taking it again after that .”

CC May 23, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I got diagnosed with PMDD when I was 16 and I was put on YAZ the day my symptoms started to occur (ovulation) and it worked almost immediately and I haven’t had an issue since with pregnancy or PMDD. This medication does make me slightly nauseous and since taking it my appetite has changed a lot and some foods I once loved now repulse me but it’s manageable and way better than dealing with PMDD.”

Learn more about Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder