User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol (Page 3)

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Nikki, Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 2,318 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.6 2,318 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

lily April 11, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “So, overall Yasmin has been pretty good! I was pretty put off by all of the reviews but I decided to give it ago because every body is different! Lets start with the positives- I feel less stressed about pregnancy (I still use condoms just in case though), my acne has stayed the same as it was when I took pills just for acne - providing I have a good routine Negatives- I had quite a lot of nausea which comes and goes but overall is manageable but can make me quite tired! I had a lottt of spotting and bleeding but I didn't find it much of an issue apart from the fact that I have to wear pads all the time. Sometimes I was a bit achy- especially my boobs but they definitely got larger! Before taking Yasmin, I had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and my biggest concern about taking Yasmin was that I'd heard it makes your mental health worse, but for me it has stayed the same with sometimes feeling a bit more emotional over small things, but it's manageable!”

Irena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 14, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I love Yaz. It changes my life. My periods used to be hell, I would even sometimes ending up in hospital. Throwing up and taking hard pain killers was all I could do the first few days. Not to mention PMS...I used to get very depressed before my period and not feel like myself. Only one week per month I would live normal without my menstrual cycle affecting me. Since I started taking Yaz, I'm reborn. First month I had side effects like sore breasts and bigger appetite, but after first month or two everything regulated and I'm feeling better than ever! My period lasts for 3 days (it used to be 7) and its almost painless!! PMS doesn't even exist! And plus everything I don't have to fear of unwanted pregnancy! Highly recommend it”

debbie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I only took YAZ for 1 month and 1 week and had to stop due to an explosion of pimples on my cheeks and jaw line that I never had before along with severe pelvic and leg pain and severe depression. My hair was also falling out like crazy. I am now 1 week without birth control and my mood has increased substantially and all of the side effects went away. YAZ also made me get a yeast infection on my FACE resulting in my breaking out in red bumpy itchy burning hives all over my face making the acne look worse than it actually was. I am now on steroids for the infection along with an antibiotic for the acne (BACTRIM) which I have taken before and waiting for these to kick in as I’ve only been on them for a week. Moral of the story YAZ wrecked my face.”

Susie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 24, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Highly do not recommend Yasmin. Advantages - no pregnancy, lighter periods disadvantages- weight gain, bigger breasts, no sex drive, decrease in hair quality. Within first three months already had a UTI and Yeast infection which I’ve never had before in the past. Overall bad for me, I started being way more anxious and stressed out, felt like it was way more difficult to be happy at all. Do not recommend at all!! Feel so stupid as I didn’t link any of my symptoms till now even though I only started having these issues after the pill.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I had the WORST experience on this medication. The ONE and ONLY thing that got me through was the strength of THE HOLY SPIRIT. I took this medication for 10 days and I experienced crippling anxiety. Two months later, I am taking anxiety medication to get my body back to normal. If anybody is reading this and going through something similar, read the word of GOD. ”

Rebecca August 2, 2020

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was on Gianvi for two years and it was great. When I went in to get my yearly refill there was a mixup and I was prescribed Loryna. I called my doctor and they said they would fix it by the end of the month but until then I could take the loryna. After a week on loryna I noticed I started to have an extremely low sex drive. I started feeling like I was going crazy and my mind started to feel so fuzzy. I’ve never felt so depressed and anxious in my entire life. I would stay awake for hours at night tossing and turning and having extremely bad night terrors. One day I had an actual mental breakdown and almost had to be hospitalized. I tried to figure out what was going on and what had changed in my life and the only thing I could think of was the switch In birth control. I immediately stopped and with in two days felt so much better. The fuzzy feeling, depression stopped. My sex drive came back and I felt back to normal again. This pill should be banned it is horrible.”

Ell · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m on Yasmin for 3 years. 3 very long years. I started on Yaz And had it for a year and had breakthrough bleeding so was told to go onto Yasmin. Well. I’ve gained two stone. Skin is spotty around the time of the month which never used to happen. I cry if I’m tired or angry. I cry if sometime happens that wasn’t supposed to. I’m very emotional. I’ve had enough of it now and am changing pill after my break. My sex drive? Non existent. My mood swings? Dangerous. My body? Fat and tired.”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “My contraceptive pill has been switched 4 times in the last 2 and a half years and I can honestly say the last 3 months on this pill have been the worst of my life. Wouldn’t normally write a review on this sort of thing but I just want to say if you’re experiencing higher than normal levels of anxiety, depression, paranoia, anger etc please get off this Yasmin pill as soon as possible it turned me into a different person - look into other birth control/ acne control options. My periods normally average 2-3 days, I have been HEAVILY bleeding for a week now, this has not happened on any of my other pills, it’s honestly not worth the clear skin many other pills do the same job with skin without making you depressed. I thought I was going crazy but after reading all the reviews on this MY STORY IS EXACTLY THE SAME DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

Helen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I started Yasmin 6 months ago and I love it. There has been no side effects for me, no mood swings or weight gain which I liked. I initially went on it because I started to experience hormonal acne around my jawline and chin. This has pretty much cleared up now with maybe a couple spots around my pill free week. Apart from that I would highly recommend this pill despite the negative comments I’ve read about it. Definitely give it a go if you experience hormonal acne or you want a pill that doesn’t make you retain weight.”

Bryanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I have struggled with acne my whole life. I have taken everything you can imagine besides accutane. I used to take ortho tri cyclen lo and stopped for about three years since I didn’t want to take any medication. During this time I got off birth control, my acne and Bacne kept getting worse!!! I never thought that I would type these words, but Loryna has worked miracles!!!!!!!!!!!! It is only one month in and my skin is almost completely clear (which it never has been in my life) I keep touching it to see if it’s real. I also was so worried about side effects since all four other pills I tried (other bc) made me so nauseous. I only had a little bit of nausea the first few days, but then nothing with Loryna!!! I also was bloated the first two weeks but it went away and am also the same weight!! I have never loved a bc more and I almost didn’t try it because the reviews. I hope it helps everyone else.”

Gullis123 August 31, 2019

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m so glad I took the leap and decided to take this birth control. I was suppose to get YAZ, but my doctor prescribed me this instead. BOY, was I worried from all these reviews. I was about to just throw the pack out from the horror stories. This stuff saved my life. I no longer suffer from cramps, my PMS is tamed, and my painful breakouts are gone. It’s a dream come true. As for libido... it’s still there! I did drop a star from the review because I don’t get as wet as I used to. But this is normal on BC and that’s what lube is for, haha. Everyone’s body is different, ladies. Embrace the trial and error phases and find what works best for you <3”

Iwantacnetobegone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I started taking Yaz along with antibiotics to cure my acne 3 months and a couple of days ago. I’ve read the reviews here religiously saying it would get better after 3 months. This is not the case! My acne got worse as soon as I started taking it month 1 was terrible also 2 and now I honestly see no difference. Please tell me if someone shared the same experience I don’t know what to do”

kaylamooress July 16, 2013

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on Yaz for 3 and a half years, and I have not had any issues. I have regular periods, I have no weird side effects. I fluctuate in weight by 5 pounds now off and on. I read all of the scary lawsuits against Yaz, talked to my doctors and the lawsuits failed to mention the other issues that girls had other then just the common factor that they were taking Yaz. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED OF IT. I was and its a stress you don't need. I have been fine, and many others have too.”

Abigail J February 1, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Before taking Yaz, like most people, I came on here and spent hours reading reviews. Per usual, I freaked myself out. You have to remember is that birth control effects every single person differently. You will not know how this medication will work for you until you try it. I'm 21 and have always had breakouts but they became cystic when I started college. I have done everything from dermatologist prescribed topical creams to changing my diet, and revamping my skincare routine. Literally nothing worked. I am now on the start of my 3rd month of Yaz. The only side effect symptoms I have had are nausea and breast tenderness, which are both manageable. As of this week, my skin is finally starting to clear up. Any breakouts seem to be small and manageable. I really hope that this is not a temporary thing (my skin sometimes has good days and tricks me into thinking my acne is gone). I would say anyone considering trying this definitely should!”

Jenfr · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I was prescribed Yaz a month ago due to a hormonal imbalance, cystic acne, and water weight. I just finished my first pack and wanted to share with all of you. I have lost some water weight and my mood/hormones have levelled so much! Before I was around an 8 around pms but I haven’t felt above a 3 in weeks. This acne however is horrible. It has completely wrecked my skin. Everyday I have new cystic bumps along my cheeks and jawline. My doc wants me to give it a full 3 months, but I seriously don’t know if I can continue with my face like this. I’m 30, not 15. I have been using bp and been prescribed retin-a to help. I am Beyond embarrassed by it, so hopefully it gets better. Before yaz I would get maybe a handful Of cystic acne around my period, but I have a new bump everyday since I started”

Cards · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I’m 23 & been on Yaz for 4 months. I went on it for acne and my face is clearing up, but I am also on other acne medication. Other birth controls have caused me weight gain, depression, and mood swings. I have lost weight on Yaz and my mood seems stable which is good. My boobs have grown a TON, even with the weight loss they’ve grown at least a cup size. (Disclaimer: I dieted & exercised to lose the weight the medicine didn’t make me lose it) The only negative side effect is that once I started my period I have been bleeding/spotting for almost two months now. Hopefully that will regulate with time. So far it’s the best BC I’ve ever taken.”

Pmddrage · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I started taking yaz at age 17 to deal with PMDD and cystic acne that only popped up the week before my period but would always needed steroid injections and then scarred for months. It dealt with my PMDD like nothing has before or since taking it. I no longer felt like a prisoner to my emotions or on a rollercoaster from hormones!!! My skin looked like porcelain. However, it does have side effects. After 5 years I started noticing some hair thinning. I go to the bathroom more often on this than I do off it. My periods were light or non-existent to the point I thought, "how could this be healthy?" After 10 years I decided my body needed a break so I went off it. Well, in the last year my skin has ruined itself with cysts and my moods before my period range from homicidal maniac to so severely sad and depressed that puppy food commercials make me cry. I am going back on yaz next week. You have to decide if the side effects are worth it for you. For me, I can't live like this anymore.”

Happy Swede March 15, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I've been on Yaz for 6 years now, and it's been a lifesaver. Without birth control I have periods that last 12 days, 5 of them with a heavy flow and very painful menstrual cramps. I also have a lot of acne (not cystic) if I don't take Yaz. All of these are symptoms of having too much testosterone/having a higher affinity for testosterone. Yaz is anti androgenic, which means that it reduces the male hormones in your body/blocks their effect. I believe that Yaz won't help you if your acne is not caused by too much testosterone. It took 7 months for me to see any effect on my acne, and it stayed the same until it went away. The only side effect I had was sore boobs for about one month, but I've never had any problems with hormones affecting my mood, so you might want to bear that in mind. No weight gain either, but I don't bloat, and any "fat gain" will be because you eat more. How Yaz affects YOU will depend, of course, because we're all different.”

#acnedrivesmecrazy February 27, 2014

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I must say this is GOD sent. I was on Yasmin for polycystic ovarian syndrome and birth control! At first I didn't know that it would help with my acne but it did help.... wow! i Was acne free for the five years that I was on Yasmin. I could actually go out without foundation it was amazing BUT for the past five months I came off the pill because I wanted to start my family, biggest mistake I ever made! My acne came back full blown and even worse than before. In that five months I tried every topical and home remedy but sad to say nothing worked now I'm back on the pill only four days and I'm already seeing a drastic improvement where my acne is concerned.”

Becca P · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Hi! Writing this review after a year of struggle with acne that went on for about 10 months. I was 27 years old and had never struggled with acne at all in the past, I was always blessed with beautiful skin. Then out of the blue I started getting spots on my chest and face, quite badly, they were relentless and beginning to scar. I went to go and see a dermatologist and used antibiotics -lymecycline and tretinoin gel. This helped a lot... I was scared that if I came off them then I would be back to square one. I also had the coil as a contraceptive and had read this may be a contributor to the problem. I got the coil taken out and asked for yasmin. I came off the lymcyline and tretinoin and the acne has not returned! Skin has just got better and better. You would never know I had a problem. My cycle is also better controlled, I used to get a lot of break through bleeding on the coil. I am writing this review in hope it may help others!”

Ann. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “My doctor recommended this birth control to regulate my period. I was on this for about 3 months, I gained 10+ pounds from this birth control, and cried nearly everyday about the smallest things. I was so emotional and depressed. I have taken about 5 other birth controls in the past and they have never given me any side effects like this. I strongly do not recommend.”

klar$ · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “Seriously beware of this birth control. I was on Yaz for about two years and the negative side effects of this pill are never-ending. This birth control caused me to go into a deep depression for the entire duration I was on it. I was on and off anti-depressants trying to combat the negative effects and ultimately got to the point where I was completely anti-social and so anxious/depressed that I was skin and bones. It even got to the point where I was having suicidal thoughts on a regular basis. Once my doctor determined these all may have been side-effects of Yaz (not sure why it took so long for my doctor to realize this, but that's another conversation), I stopped taking it and within 24 hours nearly all of the negative side-effects were gone. Crazy! Long story short, this birth control literally ruined my life for two years. I highly recommend avoiding this unless there is some specific circumstance that causes this birth control to be your only option.”

Gwen August 24, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I am in recovery for an eating disorder( binge purge Anorexia) and decided get prescribe “Yasmin” After researching that is does not cause hair loss or weight gain( two very important things to me in recovery). I read many reviews and ignored them thinking that as long as the stated above side effects didn’t happen I would be happy. Not only has my mental health decline ENORMOUSLY, but I have also experienced a huge increase in my appetite, and with that the gaining of 4 pounds over a mere 4 weeks, this has been extremely distressing, I cannot warn you enough, Nothing can make you gain weight but the food you put in your mouth, but it did create a sense of “lack of control” around food that I had spent months moving away from, it has made me feel CRAZY, and not myself, please listen to the long list of users that have had a awful experience and find a different one. Don’t do it to yourself and that find another one, hope this helps someone.”

Kiki August 21, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I got Yaz for my period cramps and also I was getting acne which I have never had. Works well for both no bad side effects so far. This is month 3. Boobs went from humble B's to DD's. I lost a lot of weight and was contemplating a boob job but not any more. They filled up and then some. Very tender but FULL. Only giving it a 9 because of the breast tenderness.”

bmillion October 3, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Just ended second pack of Yaz. Starting month 3, hoping to see good results with skin as they say to wait out a full 3 months. Since I got my Mirena IUD taken out 4 months ago, my acne went from nothing at all to everywhere, especially terrible on my chest!? It is just so hard on my confidence when it is on the chest. Hoping this month I'll see it start clearing up. The first month on it I was no joke crying everyday, so so emotional, I probably haven't cried in a year until I got on Yaz (Nikki generic). But that subsided and I felt stable again on month 2. Everything is temporary when hormones are trying to rebalance themselves, remember that. Still a bit emotional but better for sure. ALSO had hot flashes for 2 months everyday... haven't experienced them in a week though! Other side effects I have are bigger boobs, I'll take it! Also I've lost 10lbs on it. Most say they see weight gain with BC pills but its crazy how differently birth control effects everyone.”