User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol (Page 5)

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Nikki, Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 2,318 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.6 2,318 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Sophieblake · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I was put on Yasmin 3 months ago for my acne as well as a use of contraceptive. Over the past three months my skin had gotten so much worse. Big cystic spots around my jawline and cheeks as well as small under the skin pimples. I've suddenly started to realise myself changing with depressive moods, anxiety, emotional wreck, weight gain and generally not myself. I will not be taking my fourth month packet as the hope for clear skin is just not worth this feeling. My advice- don't take this pill.”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I am currently on this pill and have never felt so low and depressed in my life. I have been on it for around 2 months and for the past two weeks I have cried everyday, had no motivation, lack of relationships and had really dark thoughts . I am generally such a bubbly and sociable person but I have cancelled plans, been absent from work and had no motivation. This pill has caused me to have depression and feelings of being low- coming off it tomorrow and just hoping it makes a difference. At the clinic the lady said that this is good for mood swings- she was wrong! If you are feeling down please come off it immediately because it can really affect your life negatively.”

Jill March 12, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I took Yaz for a MONTH and it messed me up. I was getting headaches all the time, I cried at every little thing, my acne didn't improve at all, and my period never fully went away after my cycle should have been over. (Meaning I had my period and then spotted for the rest of the month) Now that I'm off Yaz, I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks. I didn't have anxiety or panic attacks before taking the pill. I don't recommend, this tiny pill is awful and will screw you up. I've had to have so much blood work, and EKGs (Testing my heart's rhythm) to see if it's a thyroid disorder, or my body just adjusting after the pill. Don't do it, not worth all of the trouble.”

Flik · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “The reason I am on this website, is because I've almost finished my 3rd month of Yaz and my skin is terrible, so I came here to see if others felt the same, and it seems so. I'm just not getting a break from pimples, its really getting me down. I've read a lot here, that the skin improves from here on out, so I will persevere. My moods have improved so much, I am more consistent and balanced. No PMS at all, very light periods too. If you're like me, hang in there a bit longer, I'm optimistic my skin will clear.”

Tenci · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “In the beginning the pill was just fine, couldn’t be more happy with it - cleared up my acne, basically had no side effects apart from bloating within the first month. 6 months in I started getting crazy mood swings, happiest person alive to the saddest girl on earth. Some of my friends and family brought it up, I was so down most of the time in the last 2 months that whenever I was energetic and happy I’ve been asked whether I consumed drugs to increase my mood. Mind you I was never depressed prior to taking this pill. I am 7 months in now and I will either stop birth control completely or swap to a new pill. I rate it a 6/10. It did prevent me from getting pregnant. It did clear up my skin. It helped control my periods and completely got rid of the cramps. All things considered, I virtually had no side effects. However, it made me feel miserable on too many occassions.”

Adriana33 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I was diagnosed with PMDD 3 years ago by my gynecologist & was prescribed YAZ. Let me just say that it changed my hormones to a more controllable manner. I love YAZ & I cannot live without it (honestly) without YAZ I have severe depression during ovulation & cannot get out of bed. PMDD was interfering with my day to day life & relationships. After 3 months of taking YAZ I felt 100% better, I know that every medication has side effects but I didn't get any on YAZ. I came off YAZ after my wedding to try fall a baby & fell pregnant within 8 weeks. I have now given birth & straight back on it as I wouldn't be able to go through PMDD with a new born baby.”

aj · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I took this medication Yasmin in order to regularise my periods and avoid PMS symptoms of mood swings. However this pill worsened my situation. I have been suffering form immense depression and anxiety ever since. Anxiety with fast heartbeats. I've been possessive and anything around me would trigger emotional outbursts of crying and anger. I have cried every single day I took this pill. if you've got pre-exisiting anxiety or depression , I would advise you don't take this pill. It will literally ruin your life. I have got 4 days left for the pill. Never taking it again after that .”

spot September 17, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I'm now on my fourth pack of Yasmin after being on it for just over 2 months. When I first went on it my skin was absolutely awful, big spots and bumps everywhere - I have never really suffered with spots on my cheeks however after being on this pill I have suffered a lot everywhere on my face. At this point my skin is still awful and not consistent if it clears up a bit. I have no idea what to do as I've been on it not even 3 months but its getting to the point where I don't want to go to school and feel self conscious speaking to anyone - it is extremely effecting my mental health because my skins so bad:( I want to stay on it because of the good reviews however don't know how much longer I can take this what do I do?!?!?”

Giselle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been taking Yaz for about a year now. My skin has cleared and my periods often skip for months at a time and when they do come they are just spotting (I wanted to take Yaz to regulate my period). Over the past 6 months near the end of my packet has been something I dread, I become very emotional and depressed. I often have a hard time getting out of bed, feeling unmotivated, and have many self-deprecating thoughts. It honestly scares me. When I am not nearing the end of my pack I am myself, bubbly and energetic, and constantly moving. I will be looking for a replacement and want anyone thinking about taking Yaz to be aware of any mood changes. While there are some positive replies here, there are many negative ones and make sure you are using something that is truly benefitting you more than hurting you. Wishing everyone the best!”

db · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2019

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was on this pill for a year then tried to switch to Nexplanon so I wouldnt have to remember to take a pill every day - HUGE MISTAKE. At least for my body. I'm back on Ocella and I'm BEYOND happy with it in comparison. Gives me the clearest skin, went from B cup to D cup without gaining weight elsewhere, and its worked well as a birth control so far! Ladies- the scariest thing about birth control (besides all the nasty side effects) is you really won't know what works for you until you try it. Everyones bodies are different and will react in different ways. I hope you find what is best for you :)”

Abizzle · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I have been on Yaz for a little over a year. I previously had the IUD but it started making me breakout on my chest so I took it out. The dermatologist told me to get on the pill because it is more balanced, so I did. Although it cleared up my chest and the acne on my face is a little better, I am still breaking out. I’ve always had a little acne growing up but I feel like this might not be normal so I am getting off Yaz.”

Anonymous June 28, 2008

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I'm 31 years old. Had mild acne for years. Tried many OTC kits and prescription topicals. Nautropathic to Allopathic. I am a very healthy vegetarian, eat whole foods diet. Nothing helped. Most breakouts were under my chin or around my jaw. I was against the idea of taking a BCP for acne. I hated the idea of putting something artificial into my body. I am so happy that I gave in. My face was totally clear within 2 weeks. No negative side effects. have finished 2 packs. Mild nausea and headaches the first week.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was on this pill for around a year and I can’t believe I put up with it for that long. My appetite would change constantly. Sometimes I would eat everything and sometimes I couldn’t eat without feeling nauseous. I’ve tried this pill and tricyclen, this one made me gain so much more weight. I was on both for a round a year. Finally the MOOD SWINGS. I would cry every single day for NO REASON. Even if something inconvenient happened, I’d start crying. And I felt like I couldn’t control it. Out of no where, the tears would start falling. It made everyone around me annoyed. It helped my acne for a bit, but then I started getting a few pimples again after a while. I do not recommend this one ! :(”

Amyowl August 4, 2018

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Over the past 10 years I gradually realised the link of having severe depressive like symptoms, anger, rage and extreme fatigue 2 weeks before my period. It got worse in my mid to late twenties culminating in an almost nervous breakdown and me having to take 2 months off work in my new career at the hospital. This I put down to inability to cope with the stress of working in acute care, but really it was debilitated by the effects of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) every month. Armed up with research on yaz online, I consulted a doctor in UK who had never heard of it. Anyway, I insisted on the medication and to this day have never looked back. I notice a huge difference in taking it and almost symptom free psychologically. Might not be for everyone. But if it does work it's fully life changing. I am very happy with the results so far. Now nearing 30 and much happier.”

Moocat · Taken for 10 years or more June 21, 2017

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on Yasmin for 11 years now consistently and have absolutely zero issues, complaints or problems. No weight gain, clear skin, and my moods are as normal and fluctuate based on my regular monthly hormone fluctuations. However I see numerous comments on the first few weeks from users, and it's important to know that everyone is different! We are all built uniquely and our bodies have a one of a kind reaction to anything, particularly birth control. I'm a nurse in the public health sector and I advise all my patients to give their new birth control at least 3 months before deciding to call it quits. There's a lot of hormones going into your body at once and you need to let it settle! Good luck with whatever contraception you choose”

Takingabreak · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I've been on a birth control journey for four years now, and after having issues with previous birth control methods my doctor decided to have me try Yaz. At first I was excited because my doctor had also told me that I probably have PMDD, and Yaz is supposed to help with that (as well as my hormonal acne flair ups). The first few months were ok, however in month 6 of taking Yaz I essentially had a mental breakdown like I've never had before. Then in month 7 I had two breaks downs, two weeks apart. At that point I decided to quit taking my birth control altogether and see if it helped. It's been two months now since I haven't taken ANY birth control, and the difference to me is night and day. Only time will tell if I can truly attribute my breakdowns to Yaz, but I just feel so much more "normal" off of it. My anxiety has gone down, I don't feel so depressed/suicidal and I feel more social. I'm hoping I can eventually find a method that will finally work for me.”

cira · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I was prescribed Yasmine to get rid of my acne. 6 months ago I stopped taking the pill and about 4 months later my face had a sudden acne breakout, it was quite severe. I had had acne before but my skin had recovered from it. My dermatologist advised me to take Yasmin again as he said it my acne was hormonal. I have been taking it for a month and a half and it has done miracles to my face, I just have 3 spots and scars left. However, I have noticed that my mood has been changing for the worse but I prefer this to having acne as it completely destroyed my self-confidence. Completely worked for me.”

Bill · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 29, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I was sceptical about taking this pill due to some of the reviews I had seen but I couldn’t have been more wrong. I’ve been using Yasmin for 9 months now and it the clearest my skin has been in 12 years. I’ve gone from getting 2 spots a day to 2 a month (if that). It did take about 4 months for me to fully seen the effects so please persevere with it because it’s more than worth it!”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Gosh. Don't get on this tablet. It's the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I almost feel suicidal, been into severe depression, shouting and breaking things and ruining my relationship with everyone. If this is the cost you have to pay to clear skin then I'd rather have pimples for the rest of my life. And tbh it hasn't even helped my acne in fact made it worse. Don't please. If you wanna remain sane don't get on this. Go natural or anything but not this.”

Em February 23, 2021

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I think Loryna is a good birth control! I was VERY nervous to start it because of all the bad reviews. But birth control effects everyone differently! I was previously taking Junel 1.5/30 and it was making me very hungry and I was gaining a bit of weight. It was also making me unmotivated (also may have been because of the pandemic and everything going on in the world) but nothing too drastic. Junel was just an "ehh" type of pill. Then I switched to Loryna and I notice the first day of taking it, I felt a little sensitive and a little more moody. But the moodiness went away the second day. I saw a lot of reviews about nausea, but I DID NOT experience nausea. I also look A LOT LESS bloated! I also weighed a few pounds less! My skin is nice and clear and I feel good! I think Loryna is a good pill, it helps clear up your skin, and it's good if you don't want to gain weight. Loryna also helped with the vaginal itchiness on my pubic area from my previous pill (from the high estrogen dose)”

mt November 4, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I went on Yaz to help with my hormonal acne. The first month on Yaz made my skin flare up horribly, if was the most painful thing ever. Dealing with it was very hard, it was painful and just horrible to look at. After 3 months my skin started to clear up like crazy! It use to be crazy bumpy with many pimples and now my skin is very smooth with less than 4 active pimples and I no longer am in pain. ACNE WILL GET SO MUCH WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. Please stick through it because I was one of those people who thought it wasn’t going to get better. Pros: skin eventually cleared up, weight stayed the same, my boobs grew a lot bigger (I went from a B to a C). I now have very light and short periods compared to before. I also barely get cramps anymore, and they aren’t very painful (they use to be horrible). It also is working as a contraceptive. Cons: my boobs were sore almost everyday but as the months went by it now feels normal.”

Life changing results · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 31, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I used ortho-tri-cyclen-lo from 16-18yo. My periods were easy without any side effects. By mid 18yo I was experiencing painful and heavy periods, with strong emotional swings. My emotions became unpredictable, extremely reactive, and at times I experienced deep depression and strong suicidal thoughts - completely contrary to my personality and traits. My parents requested I leave university, until that night we read about YAZ studies. YAZ was the ONLY birth control with proven study results showing YAZ helps to control PMDD, which described exactly what I was experiencing. YAZ was immediately successful. 3.5 years later I am still on YAZ and graduating with a Neuroscience degree. P.S. Generic yaz experience was unsuccessful. 03/31/17”

CC May 23, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I got diagnosed with PMDD when I was 16 and I was put on YAZ the day my symptoms started to occur (ovulation) and it worked almost immediately and I haven’t had an issue since with pregnancy or PMDD. This medication does make me slightly nauseous and since taking it my appetite has changed a lot and some foods I once loved now repulse me but it’s manageable and way better than dealing with PMDD.”

Louise20 October 6, 2018

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Had to comment after reading the negative reviews on here! I was on Microgynon 30 for 6 years before switching to Yasmin because of acne developing on my face. I've just finished my first month, and honestly, Im finding it really positive! I only felt nauseous for the first day, and after that, all I have to say is positive! My sex drive has absolutely gone through the roof, the boobs are increasing in size (I'm a 32A), no weight gain, and my moods in general are so much better! The only reason I am marking this down is because I'm still waiting for more improvement to my skin, but that can take up to 6 months so I wasn't expecting miracles after 1 month. Girls, I would ABSOLUTELY stress, take these reviews with a pinch of salt - I am in a group of 6 girls and we must have gone through at least 12 pills in total before we all found ones that suited each of us, and like a previous reviewer has said, how many people actually bother to comment with a positive review?”

Rubyx66 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2021

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I changed to this pill after I was told to stop Dianette due to its increased risk of blood clots. I’d never had an issue on the pill previously. Since beginning this pill I have realised my mental health has slowly declined. This is probably the scariest thing as I didn’t actually realise how much I had changed as a person until it was already doing damage. I began having low moods, energy, and worst of all having such a lack of confidence compared to myself before this pill 8 months prior. Everybody is different and we will all react differently to contraception but I just want to let those know who don’t feel themselves on this pill don’t just brush it off and ask to change if you feel something isn’t right for you!”