User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol (Page 2)

Also known as: Yaz, Yasmin, Nikki, Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Jasmiel, Zarah, Lo-Zumandimine, Zumandimine, Yaela, Melamisa, Kemeya Kyra

Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 2,318 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.9
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 5.6 2,318 reviews

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

bellavera August 16, 2009

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I just want to say thank you to all those who took time to write positive things about Yaz. I did a lot of research before taking the pill and frankly, it scared me. So many complaints and horror stories. The most important things to remember is that we all react to substances/hormones in different ways. I'm 35 and haven't taken the pill since I was 20. I am on my 4th pack of Yaz and am very pleased. I had a little spotting in the first two months and stomach discomfort, especially when I forget a pill. Aside from that, I've lost weight and stay slim even when not active, my breasts have gone up a full size which I love. My sex drive is fine, if not greater, no change in moods. Good luck to all.”

phoebe17x September 4, 2014

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I had really bad acne. I'd cry about it for hours. I would wear a lot of makeup to hide the fact my skin was awful. I'm a very sensitive person so when people nastily commented on my make-up, it hurt. I would think it isn't my fault,it's my skin! I went to the doctors after receiving many acne medications (which had lots of side effects but no results). I was offered Yasmin before but I thought I was too young but it was my last resort before going to having Roaccutane. I was 13. I'm still on the Yasmin. I used to have irregular periods and mood swings. They've stopped and my skin is clear and beautiful now. I stopped wearing the slap and became more confident. I would recommend it!”

Still skeptical November 6, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “This makes 5 months on Nikki for me. My body acne has completely healed. I was on the Mirena IUD right after my second child and it completely messed up my hormones. I gained 30 lbs in two months. Now being on Nikki, I have officially lost 20lbs without any real change to my diet . Wondering if I'm crazy or if this BC has actually straightened out my hormones. Has anyone else experienced weight loss?”

H December 14, 2019

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “2 yrs on yasmin pills 1.Beautiful glowing moist skin. 2.Proper period. 3.No pregnancy Disadvantages: 1. Severe anxiety 2.Depression 3.Low sex drive 4.Lost my sense of humor 5.Nothing makes me happy and alive 6.Morning sickness 7.Dry mouth when I wake up from fear! 8.Lost my hair 9.Foggy mind 10.Lost my self esteem I came off the pills around a month and a half. I started doing my blood tests and started taking - vitamin B - vitamin D - omega Helped me a lot in recovering ! I started drinking water a lot to flush the hormones from my system You're not alone ! We all suffered from this pill , believe me you'll be the best version of yourself after focusing on your health. You'll be fine , give some time for your body to recover and be patient with yourself ! " Love yourself and don't think of people's opinion about you ! You're in a temporary phase and this shall pass with love .. Stay strong ! With love H from Dubai”

Bg · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I have been on YAZ for almost three years now. When I first started on birth control I was on Alesse but it didn’t help with my moderate acne so I was prescribed YAZ. it has been almost three years and my acne has not changed at all - I have tiny skin coloured bumps all over my chin and then get whiteheads on my chin and around my mouth. I don’t have any other side effects and it has worked well for preventing pregnancy but has not helped my skin at all. Anyone else experienced this?”

Jenna February 27, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on this pill for more than a decade. No issues. Slight nausea and a mild yeast infection when starting it, but those went away after the first few weeks, and after that I had 10 years of light periods, clear skin, nice hair, and stable mood. Sex drive was slightly reduced, but not enough to cause problems. I went off Yasmin for a few years to try the Paragard and honestly it’s been frustrating. Sex isn’t as much fun because I’m bleeding or PMSing for three quarters of the month, plus my periods, while not medically problematic, are annoyingly irregular - and they come with seven days of insomnia. Being on the pill put a stop to that for me. Yes, there have been a few benefits of being off it, but on balance, my natural hormones are not the magical fairy tale I keep seeing touted on the internet. I’m not saying everyone should take Yasmin, but if you’re thinking about taking it and are anxious about side effects, know that for some of us it ends up being fine.”

MG · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been taking Nikki for almost a full month now. At first I was so nervous it was going to make me depressed and gain weight after reading all these reviews. However, I started working out more and watching what I eat and I’ve only lost weight in the last month. My mood seems the same besides I cry easier than I did before starting Nikki. Don’t let all these reviews scare you it’s important to see how your body reacts to it.”

Lily February 26, 2021

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “It is important to remember that only people who have had either awful or a great experience review things... most people are just average! Anyways I LOVE Nikki. No side effects other than spotting a week before placebo for a few months ( very light, only needed a liner so it didn’t bother me!!) No weight gain, depression, NOTHING. OH and she cleared my acne! I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a pimple. Remember that everyone’s body is different, so don’t get scared reading the reviews.”

Hariet · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “I have started yaz plus two months ago and started my 3rd pack recently. My breasts are sooooooo sore! I have been experiencing fuller breasts that have been sore for the past month, and it seems it is present for the 3rd month as well. I am constantly bloated as well. Has anyone also experienced this? :(”

Dani October 16, 2020

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “By far my favorite birth control I have ever taken. I have been on the pill since I was 16 (22 now) due to heavy periods and to help with my acne. I was on Loryna from 16-19 years old then tried the Kyleena IUD which was a nightmare for me. I ended up getting it removed after 6 months and went right back to Loryna. I have been the same weight since I was 16 and the IUD caused me to gain 5-8 pounds within 6 months, but my weight went right back to normal when I went back on Loryna. My skin rarely ever has any acne on it and the best part... I haven’t gotten my period in 2 years on this pill! Ignore the scary reviews and give it a try!”

Emz April 29, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “My doctor put me on Yaz for post-pill acne and said to try it for 3 months and see how I liked it. It made my skin TERRIBLE for the first 2 months. Extreme purging of acne on my chin and jaw. It also made me very emotional. I was so close to stopping taking it but I wanted to remain hopeful after the 3 month period, things would get better so I suffered through the purging. I’m just about to start month 4 and I have had no acne for the last 2 weeks and my skin is almost perfect. I’m stuck with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from the purging but concealer can cover it up while my vitamin C serum does its thing. My face feels so soft and completely clear as of right now and my period is so light with minimal cramping. My insurance covers almost the entire cost of it so I’ll stick with it for a while and see if it keeps my skin clear! Definitely worth a try if you’re willing to go through the purging for a while first month or two.”

Sarah November 7, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Just started my 4th month on Yaz. Zero side effects and my period and regular, shorter, and lighter, which I really like. My weight has stayed the same, which I’m also happy with. The main reason I went on Yaz to help my acne and I am still seeing no results in the 4th month. My skin is super clogged, greasy, and filled with pimples. I’ll probably switch if it doesn’t make a difference within the next few months.”

Vic · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I’m 25, haven’t had an actual period in years (was on an IUD called Mirena). It was working fantastic for 7 years then came the expiration date. My desire to search for a new method of birth control begin. Considering how long I’d been on the IUD I figured let’s try something new. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE, it has been HORRIBLE finding a birth control that would fit my body & Yaz was NO exception. I have been taking the pill for two months. Side effects came gradually, things you’d assume: breast tenderness, cramping, bloating, lower back sensitivity. But there was something much more sinister bubbling up, so slowly I didn’t even notice, until I became a completely different woman. I have never been more depressed. Low energy, irritability, general feeling of discomfort, hopelessness, EMOTIONAL, crying all the time. Do your research but based off my experience RUN.”

Mel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “I was taking this pill for 2 years, during this time my long waist length hair started to fall out very gradually, after about a year my thick hair had become thin and had all broken off to neck length. My doctor was adamant that this pill was not causing my problem and sent me for blood tests to see whether I had some sort of deficiency. These all came back normal. I made the decision to come off the Yasmin pill last year. My hair has only just started to grow back - this is after a year of not taking the pill. I am absolutely certain after reading other Women’s reviews on here that Yasmin caused my hair to fall out. Please please consider what you are doing when taking this pill. I took this pill like many because it is marketed as the only pill that doesn’t make you gain weight. Putting on a little weight wouldn’t have hit my mental health as hard as losing all of my hair has.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Started Yasmin mid November after suffering from outbreaks of persistent chin acne that wouldn’t go away. First couple of weeks were fine, then came the outbreak, I didn’t break out everywhere on my face just my chin, but it was inflamed & painful, took time to heal, and hit my self esteem big time. I’m 38 always been an acne sufferer, had roaccutane at 21, which worked for a while, but after having my children my chin would flare quite severely. I was on Yasmin years ago and decided to try it again, to try and also help my heavy monthly’s to! I’m now into my third packet of pills and I’ve finally started to clear! No new outbreaks and scarring is fading nicely, my periods have been lighter & in myself it’s the best I’ve felt in a long time with PMS symptoms. For anyone struggling with the initial acne outbreak it does get better, it may not seem so right now but it does, I also used a 10% benzoyl peroxide and simple range to wash my face. Good luck x”

Coco · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2019

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I want to remind y’all that everyone’s body is different, so the side effects and bad experiences people post does not mean they will happen to you! I was freaking out bc I started this Nikki birth control pill and then looked at the reviews and everyone made it seem AWFUL. However, my experience has been great!!!! Cleared my acne and the only side effect was the first few days after taking the pill I would get stomach cramps that would go away, but was all normal bc body is just getting used to hormones. I haven’t gained a pound, not depressed at all, maybe a little bit more a temper but nothing terrible, no breast tenders but they look fuller! and no nausea. please just don’t get freaked out about the reviews because everyone’s body reacts differently.”

Beuaty January 5, 2009

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I am 24 years old. Before I started Yasmin, I felt like I was trapped in a 47 year olds body; always tired, moody, angry and never seemed to lose weight. I've also tried every acne product know. None of them work (not for me anyway) until one day I saw a commercial on television, about "Yasmin". After talking it over with my doctor he told me to try it and see. WOW! Let me tell you what happen to me. I kid you not, after the 1st week my face was clear, I mean beautiful. I didn't have to ware any make-up and I lost 10lbs within the first month. And for some strange reason, people don't call me bipolar anymore. I tell you Yasmin works from inside out. It is GREAT.”

:) January 14, 2017

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Hi I'm 43 year my PMDD become worse the older I get. I use to be a bit moody 2 days before my cycle, now I'm a raving lunatic 1 week before and 2 days into the cycle. Only to start again before I enter the ovulation phase. I feel happy go lucky maybe 1 week per month the rest of the time I can't stand being me. I'm starting YAZ today wish me luck. I'll report back in a few weeks.”

Kenny96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Hey guys.... so I’ve written on here twice before. Once about 2 weeks after starting Yaz when I started to break out after having perfect skin (I’ve been on Accutane three times and my skin was finally perfect) and then again at the start of the second pack when things got better... or so I thought.. I’m on the third week of my third month so basically meaning that I’ve been taking Yaz for almost 3 months and man oh man my skin has been the worst it’s been while on Yaz this month. I have bumps all around my mouth and jaw which I understand is hormonal. The texture of my skin is oily and bumpy and it makes me super self conscious. I’m giving Yaz three more weeks and if I don’t see serious improvement I’m getting off of it and will try something else. Besides the acne I do like Yaz (no bloating, no weight gain, has helped with my period which is why I went on birth control in the first place) but I just want perfect skin again. Good luck everyone!”

Lucyloo · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2020

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “This pill really does get a hard time! After reading all these reviews I completely understand people will have differing reactions to taking it.... but WOW Yasmin has been a game changer for me. I suffered with severe PMDD up to 9 days before my period and would completely change as a person, irrational, crying and starting arguments, incredibly sensitive and paranoid .... this lasted until my period came and then I would have another 2 weeks of feeling great until the build up started again. This pill along with taking 10mg of Citalopram daily has literally changed my life. I suffered for years and years with PMDD and finally live a normal life now, still get a little scratchy a couple of days before period with a little increase in how hungry I am .... but that is it! Best thing I ever did! :)”

Kath · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I suffered with severe PMDD for a few years and felt completely hopeless during my mood swings. No motivation and just completely lost. I started Yaz almost 5 months ago (along with Prozac) and will never go back. I was skeptical/nervous at first because of all the mixed reviews, but was willing to try anything to get my life back. I did have some nausea and diarrhea in the beginning but it just lasted a few weeks.”

pimplepopper · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “Okay guys, I desperately searched this site two months ago when my acne was horrific. I had started Yaz for the acne and it instantly got worse for the first month and it felt really hopeless. BUT, it’s been 3 months now (the amount of time they say to wait) and it’s so, so, so much better. Please stick with this if you have hormonal acne it helped me so much.”

Chkrbr · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: “I am almost finishing my 4th pack of generic Yaz and I’d love to report better news but my acne is not better, actually worse. All over my upper neck and jawline which is hormonal acne - which is what I thought this BC specialized in! And I’m 32 so this shouldn’t be happening like I’m some teen in high school acne. Definitely started the BC journey and saw it purging and getting “worse” before better. But then 4 weeks ago my acne got terrible. I have tons of activity and surface white heads and even some cystic acne. I told myself I would try to complete 5 months but I just don’t see this getting better. Yes my skin has improved from when I had a really bad bad episode of acne 4 weeks ago but its still pretty bad. What a disappointment. I’ll report if anything changes...”

Lovelysim · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2021

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol): “Hi, a doctor recommended Yaz to help with my acne. I’m a 27 years old woman and I would still get a lot of pimples. Like many of you guys, I spent hours looking at reviews. I was scared of it worsening my acne and the mood swings. I’ve been on Yaz for 3 months and WOW let me say for the first time in ten years my skin has been the clearest I can remember. I didn’t notice it got worse but it’s probably because it was pretty bad at that point and by the second month I started noticing improvement. Now at month 3 I barely get any pimple and if I do, they clear much faster. ( its not the painful cystic acne I use to get). I luckily haven’t noticed any mood swings. I feel fine. Much better now that my skin is improving so much. My breasts feel very painful however, but I’m not so mad cause they are growing. Hope this can help!”

anise_elle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

Syeda (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: “DO NOT TAKE Syeda! During Covid-19 my pharmacy switched me to Syeda from Ocella, didn’t think anything of it. Oh boy was I wrong. Gained 20 lbs FAST, had severe acne, and crazy depression and anxiety. Thought it was all due to Covid-19 stress. However from doing my research, I am now learning Syeda messed me up! Throwing it out now.”