User Reviews for Restasis to treat Dry Eye Disease

Restasis Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Restasis

chickie · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2019

"I use restasis in the vial form. Twist off the cap and squeeze out. I put the rest of the vial in the frigde to use at night. I've been on restasis for years with no side effects or problems. I've been to the opthamologist for checkups and he has never said there have been any issues. After many many years I do wonder how much good it is doing but will continue."

Daniel · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2019

"Restasis does not work, similar to Xiidra, those don't work either, I am going to try Ilux (iLux Device for Treatment of Dry Eyes)"

No name · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

"After reading the many reviews that sound really similar to my negative experience, I felt like I needed to enter my own review. My opthamologist prescribed Restasis for my extreme dry eye saying that it could take up to 4 months to start having a positive effect. First, I was shocked at the copay expense of about $500 for a 3 month supply of the daily single dose drops. After six months I told my doctor that I didn't feel any improvement from the drops. She flippantly said to stop taking them then & come back in a year. It made me think that perhaps there was a kick back that had already been paid."

SherylR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

"I was prescribed this Restasis for dry eye and cataract surgery. Over time (3+mos), my eyes were inflamed, irritated and painful. It also felt like something was poking my eyeball under my eyelid. I wanted to rip out my eyeballs. I stopped the drops and within 2 days, symptoms are almost gone. Eyes feel almost normal. I'll stick to OTC dry eye drops. I used the single use vials. (use a discount card off their website)"

RXguinePig · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

"I was prescribed Restasis for dry eyes. Immediately when I put it in my eye I felt instantaneous joint pain of the most severe. I tried like two other times to confirm and it happened the same way each time so I never used again."

Frustrated June 19, 2019

"I read the studies & user reviews and I wonder are doctors getting kick backs from Allergan?! Week 2 of Restasis use my eye is dryer, stings/aches throughout the day, and the dryness and feeling of foreign object in my eye is so bad it wakes me at night. What drug worsens your condition before it gets better and takes months before benefit can be seen? Will I even experience positive effects of the drug or just return to baseline or habituate to this useless drug? Restasis is only approved in the US. Foreign drug administrations don’t consider 15% user improvement as enough to justify it with it bad side effects as a treatment for chronic dry eye or MGD. I expressed all of these concerns to my doc and she says stick with it and now take a steroid eye gel to to help the eyes tolerate the Restasis! I honestly hope that in a few weeks I will have to eat my words but as of this moment based on my own experience, user reviews, limited empirical data in support of this medication’s efficacy I am far from optimistic."

Ted · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

"My doctor botched my multifocal cataract surgery and convinced me that I have dry eye. Recommended Restasis 4.5 years ago - I have seen no improvement - what a ripoff for what should have been a very simple operation. My eyes were done in Rochester, NY and he was a real con artist."

Jimbo · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

"I have dry eyes so I was prescribed the Restatasis one week ago. I was told it would take months to really kick in to be effective. The Restatasis caused the side effects of my eyes got bloodshot, teared for no reason and overall a general discomfort. I stopped them today and went back to Systane Ultra and my eyes feel so much better. When it comes to my eyes I'm not messing around with something for months to see if it even works. I do not recommend this drug."

Linh. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 16, 2019

"This Restatis bottle has a very bad design dropper, very hard to squeeze, can't control amount of medicine comes out."

Elle · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

"My doctor prescribed Restasis as part of a treatment plan for my chronic dry eye, which has caused some damage to my cornea and also deterioration of my vision. I used it twice a day but had to discontinue after 3 weeks because of severe side effects. These included pain, discomfort, feeling of a foreign object and increased sensitivity to light. In other words, it caused an increase in the symptoms it was supposed to treat! The day I stopped using the drops, the side effects diminished, and the day after they disappeared. I was happy to be back to the condition I had had previously. That's the only positive effect of Restasis - realizing how much better you feel NOT using it. I can't imagine for the life of me why this product is on the market and is being prescribed by physicians."

Birdwatcher · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 28, 2019

"I've been using Restasis for about a year. My doctor said there is some improvement with my vision, but I still have side effects. I have arthritic hands and squeezing either the single dose or multidose versions is extremely difficult, but the multidose is slightly easier. I even called the company about it. My way around getting the multidose bottle to work better involves taking a sterile syringe needle (ask your doctor) and enlarging the dropper hole. Each bottle barely lasts a month. Now I learned that the multidose bottle is not available, just the singles. No drug store or prescription service has it currently. My doctor also said that a generic version is about to be released in much larger bottles. As for the side effects, my eyes continue to burn and my sinus problems have escalated to a point that I may stop using the medication and go back to using liquid tears 24/7."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

"I started restasis multi dose twice daily two weeks ago, will not continue use due to difficulty getting correct dose in eye due to problems with the design of bottle, even cut bottle and poured into another bottle, but realized it will not be sterile. Do the restasis eye drops work? Well you would have to get them out of the bottle first! The only way I will continue is if insurance will cover the individual doses. Company should take notice and improve the multi dose dispenser. Could be a great product, but looks like several customers unhappy with packaging."

Sue March 9, 2019

"Restasis has the worst designed bottle of eye drops I have ever encountered. The bottle is hard to squeeze and the drops do not come out of the bottle."

Pa · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2019

"OMG. $457.00 paid for initial script of Restasis multi dose after insurance. $40.00 for each month there after. The bottle is a disaster. Almost impossible to squeeze the drop out. It takes 30 seconds minimum and a great deal of pressure has to be used. Sometimes nothing and other times too much. Wasteful to say the least. How can Allergan charge this much money for something with an extreme design flaw. I really want this to work but I don’t see the vial lasting 30 days. Is the company going to help? Or answer the complaints?"

TisMe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2019

"I was recently prescribed this...I pretty much have stopped even trying to use it because of the darn bottle. Very Frustrated!"

Annie · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 27, 2019

"The new multidose packaging is a disaster. The first bottle would hardly drop at all and the next one comes out whenever it pleases. I have used it for many years in the vial, but will not buy again if it's only available in multidose. I'm not sure what benefit I'm getting since my eyes are still extremely dry. The medication is too expensive to be so aggravating."

Stephanie · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2019

"I got a sample bottle of the multidose 3 days ago and can't get the drops out so I have no idea if the product will work for me!!"

pete February 20, 2019

"I have been using for 4 months - twice per day with very limited results"

MJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2019

"I hate the bottle the new Restasis MultiDose eye drops come in. I was excited that I wouldn’t have to keep it in the refrigerator, like I did with the small vials. But the new bottle had a horrible design. I have used almost every eye drop known to man....and ALL those bottles, large or small, are vastly better than the Restasis Multi Dose one. The medicine itself is good. But the company totally fouled up with the container."

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2019

"Like the others have stated, I too have used Restasis for years in the single dose vials. Never had an issue product works great. I liked the idea of trying the Multidose as less packaging etc. The new bottle is horrible! I to have had issues with it dispensing 2 drops at a time or not at all. Hard to keep your eyelid open that long when you have dry eyes! Called Restasis to complain was on hold for 30 min. While on hold came across this site. Definitely, faulty packaging problem. Hope they are able to get it fixed. Meanwhile will try to get my insurance to pay for the vials as these are going back. finally"

ATX · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2019

"I prefer Restasis over Xiidra, I use the individual vials 2x day. Xiidra burns, leaves blurry vision and leaves an awful taste in your mouth."

A marie February 17, 2019

"Don’t buy the multi dose bottles. Major design flaws. You will never get a full 30 days out of it. I too called the company to complain about the design and how difficult it is to squeeze out this medication. They did nothing except take a lot number. I told them not to ever discontinue the little vials. They are easy and you will get your money’s worth out of them I hate their multi dose ridiculous bottles. Dump them. This drug is way too expensive for their new bottles to give you next to nothing out of them!!"

djaner · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2019

"The drops work well for me, and I've been using them for year. But this new multidose vial is horrible and with my new insurance it cost me $400/month out of pocket, after a "big" savings coupon from restasis. And the one-month vial lasted me only 16 days! I plan to call the company and tell me they me 1.5 months of medication, since it's lasting half as long as they promise. Like everyone else has said, the vial is too hard to squeeze and at first too much comes out and then you can't a drop out. Just horrible -and at $1900 (before insurance) for what is supposed to be three months, but what is only 1.5 months, completely unacceptable. I suggest everyone here inundate the company with complaints."

Kat January 28, 2019

"Almost impossible to squeeze out the multi dose! Same problem as everyone else. I contacted Restasis and they said they would check into this matter and get back to me, that was 2 months ago!! Get the vials, don’t use the multi dose-waste of money!!!! Eye doctors should be aware of this awful multi dose!!!!!"

Christine · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2019

"After two months of use, my doctor said there was clinical improvement. However, I noticed very little improvement. After four months, my eyes looked and felt worse. My doctor confirmed they looked worse. She contributed to me giving up on Restasis and told me to restart. (I gave it up for all of four days after experiencing more pain). I learned about Xiidra and received a prescription from another office. The pain improved in a week."

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease