User Reviews for Restasis to treat Dry Eye Disease

Restasis Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Restasis

"This Restatis bottle has a very bad design dropper, very hard to squeeze, can't control amount of medicine comes out."

Linh. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2019

"My doctor prescribed Restasis as part of a treatment plan for my chronic dry eye, which has caused some damage to my cornea and also deterioration of my vision. I used it twice a day but had to discontinue after 3 weeks because of severe side effects. These included pain, discomfort, feeling of a foreign object and increased sensitivity to light. In other words, it caused an increase in the symptoms it was supposed to treat! The day I stopped using the drops, the side effects diminished, and the day after they disappeared. I was happy to be back to the condition I had had previously. That's the only positive effect of Restasis - realizing how much better you feel NOT using it. I can't imagine for the life of me why this product is on the market and is being prescribed by physicians."

Elle (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2019

"I've been using Restasis for about a year. My doctor said there is some improvement with my vision, but I still have side effects. I have arthritic hands and squeezing either the single dose or multidose versions is extremely difficult, but the multidose is slightly easier. I even called the company about it. My way around getting the multidose bottle to work better involves taking a sterile syringe needle (ask your doctor) and enlarging the dropper hole. Each bottle barely lasts a month. Now I learned that the multidose bottle is not available, just the singles. No drug store or prescription service has it currently. My doctor also said that a generic version is about to be released in much larger bottles. As for the side effects, my eyes continue to burn and my sinus problems have escalated to a point that I may stop using the medication and go back to using liquid tears 24/7."

Birdwatcher (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2019

"I started restasis multi dose twice daily two weeks ago, will not continue use due to difficulty getting correct dose in eye due to problems with the design of bottle, even cut bottle and poured into another bottle, but realized it will not be sterile. Do the restasis eye drops work? Well you would have to get them out of the bottle first! The only way I will continue is if insurance will cover the individual doses. Company should take notice and improve the multi dose dispenser. Could be a great product, but looks like several customers unhappy with packaging."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2019

"Restasis has the worst designed bottle of eye drops I have ever encountered. The bottle is hard to squeeze and the drops do not come out of the bottle."

Sue March 9, 2019

"OMG. $457.00 paid for initial script of Restasis multi dose after insurance. $40.00 for each month there after. The bottle is a disaster. Almost impossible to squeeze the drop out. It takes 30 seconds minimum and a great deal of pressure has to be used. Sometimes nothing and other times too much. Wasteful to say the least. How can Allergan charge this much money for something with an extreme design flaw. I really want this to work but I don’t see the vial lasting 30 days. Is the company going to help? Or answer the complaints?"

Pa (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

"I was recently prescribed this...I pretty much have stopped even trying to use it because of the darn bottle. Very Frustrated!"

TisMe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2019

"The new multidose packaging is a disaster. The first bottle would hardly drop at all and the next one comes out whenever it pleases. I have used it for many years in the vial, but will not buy again if it's only available in multidose. I'm not sure what benefit I'm getting since my eyes are still extremely dry. The medication is too expensive to be so aggravating."

Annie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2019

"I got a sample bottle of the multidose 3 days ago and can't get the drops out so I have no idea if the product will work for me!!"

Stephanie (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2019

"I have been using for 4 months - twice per day with very limited results"

pete February 20, 2019

"I hate the bottle the new Restasis MultiDose eye drops come in. I was excited that I wouldn’t have to keep it in the refrigerator, like I did with the small vials. But the new bottle had a horrible design. I have used almost every eye drop known to man....and ALL those bottles, large or small, are vastly better than the Restasis Multi Dose one. The medicine itself is good. But the company totally fouled up with the container."

MJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 20, 2019

"Like the others have stated, I too have used Restasis for years in the single dose vials. Never had an issue product works great. I liked the idea of trying the Multidose as less packaging etc. The new bottle is horrible! I to have had issues with it dispensing 2 drops at a time or not at all. Hard to keep your eyelid open that long when you have dry eyes! Called Restasis to complain was on hold for 30 min. While on hold came across this site. Definitely, faulty packaging problem. Hope they are able to get it fixed. Meanwhile will try to get my insurance to pay for the vials as these are going back. finally"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2019

"I prefer Restasis over Xiidra, I use the individual vials 2x day. Xiidra burns, leaves blurry vision and leaves an awful taste in your mouth."

ATX (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

"Don’t buy the multi dose bottles. Major design flaws. You will never get a full 30 days out of it. I too called the company to complain about the design and how difficult it is to squeeze out this medication. They did nothing except take a lot number. I told them not to ever discontinue the little vials. They are easy and you will get your money’s worth out of them I hate their multi dose ridiculous bottles. Dump them. This drug is way too expensive for their new bottles to give you next to nothing out of them!!"

A marie February 17, 2019

"The drops work well for me, and I've been using them for year. But this new multidose vial is horrible and with my new insurance it cost me $400/month out of pocket, after a "big" savings coupon from restasis. And the one-month vial lasted me only 16 days! I plan to call the company and tell me they me 1.5 months of medication, since it's lasting half as long as they promise. Like everyone else has said, the vial is too hard to squeeze and at first too much comes out and then you can't a drop out. Just horrible -and at $1900 (before insurance) for what is supposed to be three months, but what is only 1.5 months, completely unacceptable. I suggest everyone here inundate the company with complaints."

djaner (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2019

"Almost impossible to squeeze out the multi dose! Same problem as everyone else. I contacted Restasis and they said they would check into this matter and get back to me, that was 2 months ago!! Get the vials, don’t use the multi dose-waste of money!!!! Eye doctors should be aware of this awful multi dose!!!!!"

Kat January 28, 2019

"After two months of use, my doctor said there was clinical improvement. However, I noticed very little improvement. After four months, my eyes looked and felt worse. My doctor confirmed they looked worse. She contributed to me giving up on Restasis and told me to restart. (I gave it up for all of four days after experiencing more pain). I learned about Xiidra and received a prescription from another office. The pain improved in a week."

Christine (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2019

"I have been using Restasis for 2 years, the medicine is very effective. January 2019, I started using the multi dose bottle. The bottle is terrible, very hard to squeeze and unpredictable amount of medicine comes out after so much force applied! That is a waste of very expensive medicine! 10 days through the month, then the bottle stopped dispensing the medicine, even with extreme pressure applied. I took it to the pharmacy for replacement, they tried hard to dispense the medicine and that did not work! They said that they will contact the company to replace it. After 1 week, they said, the company will not replace it, and after so much squeezing, it works now!!!! Very disappointed. Will never renew this prescription for multi dose!!!!!"

R N (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2019

"Medication ridiculously expensive. Single vials not suitable for senior citizens with arthritic hands. Have been using for two months. Cannot tell you how much medication has been lost. Still need to use Thera tears. After this medication is finished. Will not renew."

Sur (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2019

"I like the product but the dropper has to be changed. You waste product when finally the drops come out. Horrible!"

Beagle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2019

"I have my first bottle of multi dose Restasis. The design of the bottle is awful. The drops don't come out one at a time. Usually I get two. Also the bottle is too soft so you have to squeeze it so much to get the Restasis out. Give me the vials any day. I hope the bottle can be redesigned soon, there is a lot of waste of prescription, and it is very costly. Very unhappy."

Evie (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2019

"Restasis single use vials help my dry eyes. I’ve been using the single use vials for a few years now. They do tend to make my eyes burn about half the time, but they still help. My complaint and low rating is because of the multi dose bottles they’re switching to. The bottle is terrible. It takes forever to get a drop, which is extremely hard on dry eyes. Then, you don’t get just one drop. You get 2 or 3. Since they’re apparently conserving money, even one drop extra means you’ll run out of prescription before you should. This bottle needs a makeover. It also needs extra liquid. No one can get just one drop each time and make certain that one drop hits their eye as it should!"

JP (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 24, 2018

"Bottle is awful. Waste a lot. Poor design. Why is it so expensive for Seniors?"

Mh (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2018

"Used single use vials of Restasis for years and was switched to multidose bottles 7 months ago. Terrible design for the new multidose option. The drops take a long time to dispense the one drop per eye but got used to it. However the last two bottles didn't dispense the drops correctly at all. After waiting and waiting for the drops to dispense, several would come out at once. I went through 2 bottles in 4 weeks and now have to make do with over the counter drops until it's time for my next refill. Will now have to go back to single use vials and pay way too much because of this ridiculous design/flaw in the product."

Mel (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2018

"There’s a learning curve to using the bottle. It was infuriating for the first couple weeks having $5 bills running down my cheek and only getting 26 days out of the bottle. But if you take your time it does work well and a month is not a problem. This is only month two and the relief I’m getting is absolutely, amazingly WONDERFUL!"

Learning (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2018