User Reviews for Codeine to treat Diarrhea

Codeine has an average rating of 9.2 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the off-label treatment of Diarrhea. 92% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 8% reported a negative experience.

Codeine rating summary

9.2/10 average rating

Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea.

Reviews for Codeine

dalecooper57 · Taken for less than 1 month · January 12, 2021

"I suffer from IBS and Diverticulitis and, although I have a repeat prescription for mebeverine (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) I haven't had a solid bowel movement for ages. As any sufferers know, the urgent need for the toilet only minutes after eating anything, really does get you down after long periods and it's sometimes easier to just not eat at all if I'm out somewhere. EXCEPT when I have been prescribed codeine for unrelated symptoms, (back pain, whiplash, etc) at which point by some magic my IBS vanishes overnight and my digestive system genuinely returns to "normal". I've only ever taken low doses of codeine (2 or 3 30mg tablets in 24 hours) and never felt any other side effects, including drowsiness. Is it out of the question for it to be prescribed as a treatment, given its apparently addictive nature?"

Slash · Taken for 5 to 10 years · October 10, 2020

"Had my gallbladder out over 10 years ago and started getting bad frequent diarrhoea and gastric reflux. After many tests was diagnosed with post cholecystectomy syndrome. Chronic diarrhoea left me terrified to leave the house. After years of trial and error my dr prescribed codeine. I accept I am addicted, but it is so much better than the alternative"

Inspector Gadget · Taken for 10 years or more · January 16, 2020

"I had my gall bladder removed in 2000. Not long after I started having other problems and was eventually diagnosed with IBS. I have taken a number of different drugs but codeine was the only one which calmed my stomach down and helped me get through the day. I take 30mg codeine every night. Occasionally if I'm stressed I take an other 30mg but that's it. I don't think I could continue without it."

Dearie · Taken for 10 years or more · November 21, 2019

"I have been taking tylenol 3 for 15 years for my IBS. I was able to live a good life and work but now at 65 the night is full of trips to bathroom and the Drs have told me I must get off the codeine as it is ruining my colon. I was on 3-4 daily and 4-6 lomotil till daily. I am now one month in withdrawal. I go to bathroom 15-30 times a day. Nothing can be done for me for 6 months so they say. This is a REAL DRAG. I am totally home bound at this point. Withdrawal is really tough but I have no desire for the drug emotionally just for the constipation effects. Trying Fodmap diet but it has made no difference yet"

DBINCG · December 2, 2008

"I have severe IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and could not find relief until I was prescribed codeine for it. At this point most of my symptoms are either completely gone or nearly gone. I can say that codeine is a wonder drug when it comes to resolving the symptoms."

CW55 · March 6, 2016

"3 bowel resections due to crohn's disease, I now have short bowel syndrome with chronic diarrhea. I have tried every anti-diarrheral drug there is and the only one that has helped is codeine. I consider it a wonder drug for my condition, enabling me to lead a mostly normal life. I have taken the same amount everyday for 6 years. I don't feel "high", but do feel slightly drowsy occasionally. I did have a period of 8 months where I stopped taking it and while I did have some physical symptoms (not mental) in stopping, they were not too bad, the symptom relief I had on the drug far outweighed the negatives. I continue to take and it makes my life easier."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 15, 2017

"Suffered from Lower Anterior Resection Syndrome for years. Especially needing to empty my bowels every 1 to 2 hours during the night. Codeine was the only thing that stopped this and allowed me to have uninterrupted sleep. Lomotil or Imodium did nothing."

Topgear60 · January 30, 2018

"Took just one as prescribed by oncologist who I was seeing for a yearly cancer check. Prescribed one each night for 14 days. only Further investigation if this did not work, Took 1 only. Worked immediately, absolutely brilliant. Haven't taken anymore. Trouble is what was the cause of my diarrhea ?"

JennyT · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 22, 2022

"I have suffered with severe IBS for years and like many other sufferers, would sooner not eat or drink on occasions just so that I don't spend the entire day on the loo. It is debilitating. I endured a back injury last year and I was prescribed codeine. It's like a miracle and I have my life back. I take one 30mg once in the morning and I am completely back to a one a day firm bowel movement. I hear about how codeine is addictive but just getting my life back I am willing to forgo that."

Happy · Taken for less than 1 month · November 21, 2021

"I have IBS-Diarrhea type. A couple months ago I had kidney stones and the drs gave me morphine in the hospital and codeine to take home. I took the Codeine every six hours for 3 days until the stones passed. I didn't poop for a week and have not had diarrhea since."

Ulce colitis · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 11, 2022

"Hi! I have suffered for many years with soft watery bowls… urgency and needing to go every two minutes after I’ve eaten. Life was hard as some will know. I have since been diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis and Proctitis. Codeine was prescribed to me for pain but since then has changed my life! I feel happier, my movements are every 2 days and solid! I don’t have to worry about leaving the house. I know it’s not a good drug to be taking… it’s done wonders for me. Doctors want to take me off it but I’m not wanting to! Would rather live a good life than a long one on the toilet."

MoYo · April 15, 2021

"It works very well to stop a running stomach"

Steelernut4life · Taken for less than 1 month · August 26, 2015

"Mirical this is actually working for me."