User Reviews for Codeine to treat Diarrhea

Codeine has an average rating of 8.9 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Diarrhea. 90% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Codeine Rating Summary

8.9/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea.

Reviews for Codeine

Slash · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 10, 2020

“Had my gallbladder out over 10 years ago and started getting bad frequent diarrhoea and gastric reflux. After many tests was diagnosed with post cholecystectomy syndrome. Chronic diarrhoea left me terrified to leave the house. After years of trial and error my dr prescribed codeine. I accept I am addicted, but it is so much better than the alternative”

dalecooper57 · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

“I suffer from IBS and Diverticulitis and, although I have a repeat prescription for mebeverine (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) I haven't had a solid bowel movement for ages. As any sufferers know, the urgent need for the toilet only minutes after eating anything, really does get you down after long periods and it's sometimes easier to just not eat at all if I'm out somewhere. EXCEPT when I have been prescribed codeine for unrelated symptoms, (back pain, whiplash, etc) at which point by some magic my IBS vanishes overnight and my digestive system genuinely returns to "normal". I've only ever taken low doses of codeine (2 or 3 30mg tablets in 24 hours) and never felt any other side effects, including drowsiness. Is it out of the question for it to be prescribed as a treatment, given its apparently addictive nature?”

Inspector Gadget · Taken for 10 years or more January 16, 2020

“I had my gall bladder removed in 2000. Not long after I started having other problems and was eventually diagnosed with IBS. I have taken a number of different drugs but codeine was the only one which calmed my stomach down and helped me get through the day. I take 30mg codeine every night. Occasionally if I'm stressed I take an other 30mg but that's it. I don't think I could continue without it.”

Dearie · Taken for 10 years or more November 21, 2019

“I have been taking tylenol 3 for 15 years for my IBS. I was able to live a good life and work but now at 65 the night is full of trips to bathroom and the Drs have told me I must get off the codeine as it is ruining my colon. I was on 3-4 daily and 4-6 lomotil till daily. I am now one month in withdrawal. I go to bathroom 15-30 times a day. Nothing can be done for me for 6 months so they say. This is a REAL DRAG. I am totally home bound at this point. Withdrawal is really tough but I have no desire for the drug emotionally just for the constipation effects. Trying Fodmap diet but it has made no difference yet”

DBINCG December 2, 2008

“I have severe IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and could not find relief until I was prescribed codeine for it. At this point most of my symptoms are either completely gone or nearly gone. I can say that codeine is a wonder drug when it comes to resolving the symptoms.”

CW55 March 6, 2016

“3 bowel resections due to crohn's disease, I now have short bowel syndrome with chronic diarrhea. I have tried every anti-diarrheral drug there is and the only one that has helped is codeine. I consider it a wonder drug for my condition, enabling me to lead a mostly normal life. I have taken the same amount everyday for 6 years. I don't feel "high", but do feel slightly drowsy occasionally. I did have a period of 8 months where I stopped taking it and while I did have some physical symptoms (not mental) in stopping, they were not too bad, the symptom relief I had on the drug far outweighed the negatives. I continue to take and it makes my life easier.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2017

“Suffered from Lower Anterior Resection Syndrome for years. Especially needing to empty my bowels every 1 to 2 hours during the night. Codeine was the only thing that stopped this and allowed me to have uninterrupted sleep. Lomotil or Imodium did nothing.”