User Reviews for Carvedilol (Page 3)

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Carvedilol has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 160 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Carvedilol reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

High Blood Pressure
5.5
Summary of Carvedilol reviews 5.3 160 reviews

Reviews for Carvedilol

Mac · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: “I'm now taking carvedilol 25mg/2X after going thru a 1/2 dozen other meds. It seems to stabilise my BP @ 120-70, but all the beta blockers seem to cause side effects. On this drug I have terrible itching, difficulty swallowing and sneezing. The first side effect may be coming from something else and is under review. The middle one may also be coming from something else too but I see "trachial restriction" as one of the side effects. The sneezing is 4-6 x per day. Years back I was on another drug that caused all kinds of problems and my kidneys were discovered to have been damaged. Again, how do you know where these things come from? I wish I could get off these meds with some OTC treatments. Ive tried Beet juice and was in a trial on that awful tasting juice, but it's easier as a pill.”

Paikie · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “I was hospitalized 3 years ago for Congestive Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation with an EF of 20%. After a 17-day hospital stay & an ablation, I was sent home with many meds, including Coreg. I started at the lowest dosage and slowly got to tolerate my current dosage of 12.5 mg 2x day. My current EF is 45% & I believe Coreg continues to save my life every day.”

Baldwin Bill · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2020

For Heart Failure: “Carvedilol has saved my life. I can't see any issues with this drug. Before taking it, my EF was between 14-19, now after years of taking it my EF ranges between 29-40. In 2004 the docs told me without a transplant for my Cardiomyopathy I had maybe 5 years left. Guess what, 2021 is coming up and I will be celebrating it with my 2 teen daughters thanks to carvedilol. My one and only side effect is some light headedness and that is expected from a beta blocker, cause it will lower your blood pressure some.”

MaleAge55 December 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “My High Blood Pressure started getting bad in the last year Dr. tried 2 different Meds and they almost killed me. But I was desperate to feel better and tried again Dr. gave me Carvedilol 6.25mg BID the first dose made me dizzy for about 45 Min. the 2nd dose did Nothing ! Next day Nothing again still felt, weak, shaky, dizzy, ED, NO motivation, Sleeping way to much. Day 3 (Without Doctors permission) I Doubled dose to 12.5 mg BID (Twice Daily) And Wow BP Dropped from 185/112 to 124/78 after one hour, and I feel like Im 35 again happy, strong, active, and my girlfriend is very happy if you know what I mean. Dizziness is gone and so far (1 Month) I have not noticed any side effects. It really helped me !”

GonzoOne December 24, 2014

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “Works well for Congestive Heart Failure CHF,. however, I started using it years ago and we have discovered that Coreg may cause painful peripheral neuropathy. I am not diabetic but have developed the neuropathy and the only guess from doctors is that it was caused by the Coreg.”

GrandPaMan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been taking carvedilol for almost a year, and after my dosage was regulated, I have had good results. My problem occurred when my pharmacy changed brands, from a small oval tablet to a round tablet, and is not as effective. When I talked with my pharmacist about it, he said to request the old style tablet when I refilled. I have 2 weeks before my refill and my diastolic has gone from 78 to 95+. If I was mean, I would be looking for an attorney to rectify this problem.”

Young-in · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “Since being put on 6 months ago (severe, resistant hypertension), along with diet and exercise, I have lost 60 lbs and my heart rate is usually in the mid -40s to low 50s when and complete rest (evenings) and in the high 50s - low 60s during the day. I have experienced no negative side effects. Drowsiness was present for the first week or two, but after that I adjusted and feel no side effects. Most important thing - if you are doing aerobic exercise while on this medication, DO NOT USE A HEART MONITOR as it does reduce heart rate. Normal heart rate ranges while on this medication to not apply and can cause damage if you attempt to the normal 180bpm. Consult a physician for activity restrictions while taking Carvedilol.”

Mountain Man · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking 12.5mg BID for months now. No change in BP, it still soars to 190/115 at times. Finally after months I got my PCP to recommend a Cardiologist. Will see what they say this week and get back with another review! Worthless medication wondering how it got approved by the FDA?”

Marie_in_NC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 24, 2014

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “I had an EF of 12 - no cause or history or heard disease. My doctor put me on Coreg along with other meds and 6 months later, my EF is 55-60. I have some side effects from the Coreg, mainly some weakness and occasionally some dizziness, but it is nothing compared to being in heart failure. Very thankful my doc prescribed this med.”

Anonymous December 5, 2011

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “Started living with congestive heart failure caused by virus in 1996. Started on Coreg in 2001 when EF hit 15. Went back up to 41 within a few months and remains at that level. I am now 68. I'm sure I wouldn't be here, were it not for this medicine. Don't seem to have side effects.”

Robdigi · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2019

For Left Ventricular Dysfunction: “I was diagnosed 8yrs ago with severe dysfunction left vent with EF 26 was put on Carvedilol 8yrs ago my EF has been steady now at around 46-48 which I am grateful for but the side effects I have experienced from 25mg x2 Carvedilol has been horrible, hypotensive I walk around feeling impaired almost drunken. I have asked my Dr if I can reduce it or come off it but he is reluctant to do this because I have had good heart function. I am going on 65 now I really don't enjoy doing much of anything because I am always tired and lightheaded and I am seriously considering cutting it back on my own. This is no way to live quality of live from this med is pretty poor.”

Angeloram · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “Started on carvedilol 6.25mg 3 weeks ago. Have had serious issues with dizziness, nausea and severe pressure in the back of my head and neck. When I am laying down the pressure is not as bad but if I am trying to read anything, the pressure gets severe.”

Young guy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 1, 2015

For Left Ventricular Dysfunction: “This is a tough med to start. But after a few weeks I got adjusted and titrated up to the right dose. My EF was close to 35% when I started it. When I began taking this drug I would get dizzy which would instill panic episodes in me. But I stuck with it and my EF is 55% now. I now don't even notice the Coreg unless I forget it. And when I do forget it, I get a little jittery. It's a miracle drug. Tough to start but worth the result.”

V.B. November 7, 2008

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “In June 07 at age 47, to my doctor's disbelief, I was on life support and confirmed to have congestive heart failure. After trials for weeks on different medicines my doctor ask me to try Coreg with my Lasix. Boy was I thankful. Today 6 months later I am 2804 miles from home, living a very normal and happy life.”

bobster · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Taking carvedilol for 8 weeks now. Started off fine and seemed like was the answer. Now extreme tiredness, dizzy spells, nausea and episodes of low blood pressure and heart rate. Depression is just an added bonus side effect. Ready to throw all meds in the garbage and roll the dice. 68 yrs old.”

littlelamb3 · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I was diagnosed with heart failure back in 2002. The doctors started me on coreg and it definitely worked. My EF went from 39 to 56 over time. I have been on coreg since that time to treat my blood pressure problems and my EF has been normal since. I will always be on high blood pressure pills because even with a weight loss of 90 lbs since 2002, I still have high BP. Coreg is one of the few meds that does not give me any side effects and works great.”

Mr. HBP · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Here's my experience with coreg. Took the minimum dose for hypertension (6.25 mg twice a day according to the doctor). Freaked me out at first during the first couple of weeks. Increased anxiety, felt somewhat fatigued. But after getting used to it, BP would be in the 110's/70's range so really good BP. However, if I got the slightest bit of anger or anxiety, BP would get elevated to the 130's/90's range. After 2 months of this, dumped my primary care doctor and switched to another one. New doctor prescribed 50 mg of metoprolol per day and 5 mg of lexapro to help with the anxiety. Tried lexapro before with the coreg but the third night I felt hot and felt weird heartbeat so I stopped. Told the new doctor what happened before with lexapro, but he said it wasn't the lexapro but the coreg. Start the metoprolol tomorrow and lexapro a couple days later, so hopefully this works. This is my experience so coreg may work for you but it didn't help much.”

HoustonT February 16, 2015

Coreg CR (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “This medicine has saved my husbands life! He went in to heart failure & had a EF of 10% in 2011. With 16 days hospitalization & discharged with this medication and a few more he has thrived and continues to do well today.”

Yahyaao · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I have using atenolol and amlodpine for 6 months now and it works for me but because of the side effects my Dr change it to carveliol 12.5mg once daily it worked also my boyfriend still read 110/75 at times 122/82 but I'm still having the side effects of pains , shortness of breath, numbness little chest fluttering tired and my internal body will be shaking .”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

For Left Ventricular Dysfunction: “Started this drug when I went into the hospital for takotsubo cardiomyopathy. After the 3rd day of using Carvedilol I felt weak and felt nauseous. We called 911 and I went to the hospital. The doctors think the medicine may have contributed to my low drop in blood pressure. They advised me to check my blood pressure before I take the medicine, making sure my blood pressure is high enough.”

Odelle August 26, 2009

Coreg (carvedilol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: “I am 91 and have congestive heart failure. (I also fell and broke the femur articulation with my hip in late March). My doctor gave me this medicine, Coreg, and it took away the swelling in my feet, ankles, legs and knees. I was having such pain in my knees and the drug along with other medicines I take, that it has gotten the fluid out of my system and my knees no longer ache. This medicine has really improved my life.”

RBrks January 12, 2018

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “I had a mitral Valve repair and my EF dropped to 30. I was put on Coreg for 6 months, and I experienced periods of dizziness and muscle pain. I worked out and played tennis 3 times a week--surprising my doctor. I had no problems, but my EF never improved above 30-35 range. Since Coregs main purpose seems to be to lower blood pressure, I am not sure why they insisted I go on it for low EF. I started taking CoQ10 and no Coreq and now my EF has improved to 40 and I felt better and no dizziness. I don't believe that Coreg actually helps with EF. I think the studies were flawed to prove something that is not true.”

Astroraider December 8, 2014

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “I had a virus infection of the back wall of my heart. In Feb 2007, my EF was 20% and I was throwing PVC's like crazy. My cardiologist started me on Coreg (carvedilol) but could not tolerate a dose higher than 3.125mg and he also started me on Vasotec (enalapril) and, again, I could not tolerate a dose higher than 2.5mg. In fact, I take my blood pressure before every dose (2x daily) and if it is less than 130, I do not take the Vasotec. By June 2007, my EF was 68% and only the occasional PVC these days. Coreg and Vasotec continue to work very well and have saved my life!”

GILTOM September 28, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on Coreg for unexplained rapid heart rate. My blood pressure was mostly controlled with lisinopril. I have been on it for about two years and now I am having side effects like shortness of breath and low systolic blood pressure 100/72 with 60-70bpm. I don't know whether or not I can get off of it due to my rapid heart rate.”

marianne1927 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 2, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on carvedilol taking 12.5 mg. 4 x a day for over one year. It lowered my blood pressure but my feet and ankles have severe swelling no matter what kind of shoes I wear and my toes feel tingly most of the time. I wonder if this is a side effect of this medicine. I also started ExForge about the same time. It is difficult to walk for more than 30 min. I am 66 yrs. old and a female.”