User Reviews for Carvedilol (Page 2)

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Carvedilol has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 160 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Carvedilol reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

High Blood Pressure
5.5
Summary of Carvedilol reviews 5.3 160 reviews

Reviews for Carvedilol

gordonR54 March 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Got severe neck pain the first time I took carvedilol. Now, more than a year after being put on it, I have terrible lightheadedness and gnawing headaches. I also have BP spikes and periods of low BP. Have been trying to get docs to switch medication but one will hand off to another and nothing gets done. NOT a reliable medication. Side-effects worse than benefits.”

Cool j · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I’ve had just horrible side effects. My blood pressure would spike through out the day, getting as high as 184/94 which caused lots of anxiety. Trouble sleeping. Arrhythmia’s throughout the day which caused headaches at top of head and around carotid artery. Shortness of breath. Dizziness, nausea, weakness, bloody sinuses. At one point I thought I was going to have a stroke, or get kidney disease. It’s been 2 weeks and some of the symptoms have decreased, I don’t think I want to stay with this product. I hope there’s no damage to my arteries or organs. Time will tell but I hope the FDA take this one off the market! I prefer to go back to Metoprolol. It was a lot of praying day, noon and night that got me thru this!”

Ackack October 3, 2018

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: “Ok been on this since my valve repair in June. Stabilized now at 2 pills 2 x daily 12.5 mg. Since I left the hospital I noticed my BP had been rising up to 150/101 some days higher. I was following the directions. Dr. recently also put me on Lisinopril. I went off that after 2 weeks do to bad experience. Medications instructions on the label were to take with food. When I was in the hospital they were waking me at at 4 am and giving me this on an empty stomach and BP hovered around 120/85. So ok why not try that. Bingo back to corrected levels similar to when hospitalized range. This effect last for about 9 hours so adjusted my dose times. Just remember this is for me, and it is recommended to be taken with food, so you don't get the medication working to quickly which can cause dizziness etc for people.”

Joe · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking Carvedilol 6.25 mg twice a day for years! Due to elevated BP numbers dr changed dosage to 12.5 in am and 6.35 in pm. BP is now extremely high in evenings! I’m convinced the ingredients are now different! Manufacturer says Mylan, ? Have been to drs, trips to ER, scans, MRI, all ok, so I’m convinced high BP caused by medicine! HELP!”

Metalartist007 April 29, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Bystolic for several years with no side effects. BCBS stopped paying so had to go on Coreg. This is a horrible drug. It causes me to be disoriented, dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous. I feel bad all the time!!”

Angel36608 · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2018

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “Coreg (Carvedilol) saved my life for 2.9 years then one day my defibrillator activated & sent me into a blackout in my bathtub. After a device check reading of 325 beats per min., a heart cath & no other findings at the hospital, the Coreg got the blame; they changed me to Metroprol; wrong. Coreg kept me active, happy & gave me my life back. Sure there are side effects but they don't last long; I could function daily. With Metroprol, gained weigh, stayed very fatigued & developed vertigo. Finally, I had a move & got another cardiologist. I told him my wish was to go back to Coreg & explained why I was taken off this med; now, I'm back on Coreg. I know beta blockers are not all kosher but NEVER EVER go off meds w/o your doctor's knowledge. Also, lost my hubby to basilar artery stroke 10 days before his 30 year retirement due to his belief in no meds. Don't do it! It may your life you save. Always talk with the doctor & you always have the right to a 2nd doctor's advise.”

Reevesworx June 15, 2021

For Heart Failure: “I was diagnosed with CHF and EF less than 35% in March 2021.. 3.25mg of Carvedilol twice a day doubling dosage every two weeks until 25mg 2x a day was reached. Immediately starting this medication I felt like my heart was getting worse. I had read the side effects and I waited for my side effects to calm down. They didn't they got worse with good day tucked in here and there. The pain in my upper legs was unbearable and constant chest pains, the feeling of disconnect with my surroundings, constant fighting off dizzy spells and weakness. I went from doing handyman work up a ladder all day in January to barely able to get out of bed by the end of May. My blood glucose levels went completely nuts. Beware of this med I felt trapped and I was told I had to take it to help my heart but then felt as if it was really bad for me making me worse than I was. It made me completely nonfunctional in a matter of months. I felt so much better in a matter of hours after discontinuing its use.”

Grama · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Over the last months my pharmacy changed from a brand I liked (white oval) to a brand that makes me feel "off". The newer brand is a round white tablet. I checked on line to compare the inactive ingredients and found that the new brand has sodium lauryl sulfate, corn starch, and microcrystalline cellulose amongst all the other common inactive ingredients. I'm searching for another pharmacy which has generic carvedilol which has similar inactive ingredients to the former white oval 12.5 mg carvedilol.”

Snowflake · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. During a routine medical it was discovered that I had a left ventricular disorder. I was taken prior Indapamide 1.mg. which I had no side effects. Then I was prescribed Carvedilol first at 3.25mg then increased to 6.25mg and my Indapamide was stopped. Since taking this new medication. I have started to notice pains in my left leg ie joint pains and stiffness. My right leg my foot and ankle are swollen and due to it stiffness feels very tight and difficult to walk on. I have concerns that Carvedilol as upset my normal function within my body and I am seeking to be taken of them”

Bill three · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Cozaar 50 mg a day combined with Coreg 25 mg 2x daily for about 10 years. My blood pressure was 200/120. About 2 years ago Coreg CR 20mg replaced the Coreg daily. This regimen slowly reduced my BP to 100/60. This BP was too low so I stopped the Coreg CR completely. I am now on Cozaar 50 mg 1 per day and my BP is averaging 125/60-70.”

Insipid · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Placed on carvediol 12,5 mg bid. Side effects got progressively worse even with decreasing dose. By the end of 9 months I was on 3.25 mg twice daily and had missed 2 weeks of work, was nauseated, had diarrhea, vomiting, strange thoughts, anxious, scared to death of any noise, lost 28 lbs, throat and chest pain, and did not have enough energy to get out of bed. On the positive, side my BP went from 173 / 103 to 112/74 with a pulse in the 40 to 50 range. I have been off of it for about 2 days and although I had a BP spike, many of the side effects are mitigating. May be great for some, but I am thankful for being off of it.”

Jazz · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking Carvedilol, for 2 weeks and BP is still high range between 190/100, Dr says give it time - how much time. I also take Amlodipine, been on that for years and did great, BP stayed at 121/80. I want to stop taking Carvedilol, but scared something might happen. I have had triple bypass in 2005 when my Echocardiogram was a little abnormal, the cardiovascular Dr, put me on Carvedilol, BP has been staying high ever since. This medication does not help”

Road Hog November 17, 2010

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking this since my heart attack in March 2010. I have had leg muscle issues (pain) since the beginning. My doctor seems to think the benefit is greater than the pain. I disagree and am about to stop it no matter what my doctor says.”

avrnaturalist October 4, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “i was on atenolol for a year 25 mg prn for palpitations. Then i felt like crap without it. Started experiencing more palpitations, doc put me on it twice a day. after a bout with ED, I asked to be put on something else, doc didn't budge. I was diagnosed with mild aortic valve regurg. new doc, reluctantly switched me to coreg 12.5 2xday. No longer ED, but it makes my heart rate go from 72 w/bp 126/69 at rest to 50 with bp raised to 149/78 with that low a pulse. Horrible bouts of light-headedness, subdermal rashes that won't go away, 50 pounds gained with even more exercise and closely monitored diet than before, and blood pressure that will not stay regulated. Never had high bp before getting on beta blockers. stay away unless absolutely necessary!!!!”

Steven March 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Carvedilol twice a day 25 mg. Lisinopril 20 mg once a day. My blood Pressure can go to 235 over 110. I have A-Fib...A Mitral Valve leak...and a 4.2 bulge in my ascending Aorta. Then came the tongue movements and facial movements. I was flailing my arms all over the place. Went to my Neurologist and then a second Neurologist. Both tried to tell me I had Conversion Disorder...Idiopathec they said to me. Needless to say I was annoyed... So I quit taking my medications and said screw it. Two days later guess what? All the movements came to a screeching halt. So I figure...Lets see if Carvedilol is causing it first. I take 25 mg....and within an hour...I'm flapping like a bird again. So I discontinue that and wait till Sunday March 11, 2018 and try Lisinopril. 50 minutes later I'm moving all over again. These two drugs can cause Myoclonic Jerks and Dyskenesias that you wouldn't believe. I've suffered through 7 months of this rubbish.”

Ann August 18, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I take Coreg 12.5 mg 2 X a day, but recently lost 6 Lbs. So my dizziness ,confusion and walking into things increased..So now I split my pill in half and feel like I can think better and my bp is now a little higher so I can think clearer now..Feeling More like My old Self Now..”

Scoop ( 59 year old male) · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “After 10 years of doctors trying all kinds of bp meds. I gave up and refused to take them. My pharmacist finally recommended I try Carvedilol . While others caused depression and ED this med works for me without side effects. I had not had "Morning Wood" in at least five years and the second day I was on this medication I woke up with an erection and I have had no issues with keeping a strong erection for sex. I feel like me again. no depression no weakness and good stamina for my workouts/runs.”

Shakir · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

For Heart Failure: “I have been diagnosed with CHF on April 2019 nobody knows the reason since I don’t have history, I never drink alcohol, never smoke, never use drugs. I have very low BP around 100, I am 43y I was very active running 2 miles/18 minuets daily. In April my heart EF was 15% the doctor put me on Carvedilol 3.125mg twice a day for one month then doubled the dose, I suffered a lot from dizziness, shortness breath almost pass out. The doctor said that’s all for my benefit. I continued my work out, I improved a lot I am able now to do 2 miles in 25 minutes. In July 2019. I did ECHO to evaluate the progress then the doctor was disappointed that my heart still %15 EF. But I feel good ...”

Anonymous September 6, 2009

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “Coreg worked fine for me at 12.5 mg twice a day. However, as a former smoker, when my physician increased the dosage to 25mg 2x a day, I had trouble breathing, walking, and my feet swelled up. Coreg should be kept at a minimal dose if the patient has an underlying lung problem. My physician had to stop the drug completely.”

FirstMiddleLast July 6, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been taking this med for 2 months and I feel horrible. I have every side effect listed besides impotence. I am going to stop taking this med with or without the doctor's blessing. I am tired of having shortness of breath and being extremely tired ALL THE TIME. I have a small child and I can't not keep up. I cannot walk to my car from my office about 200 yards away. I am not doing this to myself anymore.”

Martuccia August 17, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Ruined everything!after being healthy and taking Zestril for 25years for moderate blood pressure, the doctor suggested I try Coreg! Within 6-8 weeks, I passed out face down while golfing with friends! I would pass out in my chair, several times a day?!! Only two months before, I visited the Napa wine country with my son & wife. My wife was in a wheelchair, & I pushed her all through the airport, lifted luggage , ate whatever I wanted,salt was not a restriction!!! Coreg changed all this! After 8 weeks! I ended up developing bradycardia ! (Slow heartbeat) I could inot ever get it irnyoressure back! Now they tell me I have developed amyloidosis(? I feel that slowing my heart rate had something to do with this, no matter what they say!”

Sis363 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been taking carvedilol for three months, it works really good for my extremely high blood pressure. I have experienced rapid weight gain, but I can't be completely sure if the carvedilol is the blame as I am on other medications. It causes sudden dizziness even without standing up to quickly . I'm going to try something else because of the rapid weight gain and out of no where dizziness. I gave it a 7 rating because it works well with lowering my stubborn high blood pressure.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on this for a month. I also have COPD. I have been getting weak, couldn't walk farther than a few steps without having to rest and totally exhausted about an hour after taking this medicine. Dr. thought my COPD was getting worse but couldn't control it. I remembered I started feeling this way right after being switched from Metoprolol to this medicine. I refused to take it again and after missing two doses, I can breath and walk again. Back on Metoprolol.”

glenawinawhistle · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “If you are have to use EpiPen and you are taking any Coreg/Carvedilol, it can be LIFE THREATENING!. I found this out in ER after being bitten by (baby wasp) Cow Ant. We were just a few miles from hospital when I was bitten, so we went straight there, The ER Dr. told us what a good thing that I didn't use the Epi Pen said the combination with this bp med would have stopped or slowed my heart to very danger. Said Cardiologists are just getting this message. I had nearly died years ago from wasp bite, and have carried an Epi Pen. I didn't even know big red Cow Ant is baby wasp, my son was with us, and I got bit by one in the garden, and he said get to hospital now as this ant is wasp. Yes, the Drs. verified that too. Also, after 5 years of this bp med and I did loose 40 pounds, it has become too strong, (low bp) dosage was reduced, and most likely will be trying Cardizem in next week.”

cachef1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “I had been put on carvedilol along with valsartan 160/25. It worked for blood pressure, however my cardiologist advised me that it was a significant contributor to my erectile dysfunction. After various trials in dosage, we eliminated carvedilol altogether and went to Bystolic with good BP results and no erectile dysfunction complications. Carvedilol may be good for those with actual heart problems, but just for control of BP, we found a great substitute without all the side effects.”