User Reviews for Carisoprodol to treat Muscle Spasm

Also known as: Soma

Carisoprodol Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Carisoprodol

Jatle · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 13, 2020

Soma (carisoprodol): “I hav chronic muscle and lower back painWith and without 2x350mgx4 =LIKE DAY AND NIGHT!!!”

G April 1, 2020

Soma (carisoprodol): “*Fusion L3-4 through L5-S-1 in 99’ (Currently considered FSS) *Fractured hips(3 on left, 4 on right), fractured femur (2 spots), torn tricep, severe nerve damage, torn ligaments & tendons in 4 fingers, fractured meniscus, Torn ACL in 00’ That was a car accident where I wasn’t supposed to make it through the night, let alone walk. Luckily I was in great shape, D-1 dual athlete and for 14 years I had my aches and pains but nothing that Tylenol wouldn’t cure. Now I have tried so many different medications and like most here you begin to feel like a guinea pig trying this, then that. I can say that Soma knocks it out of the park. Not only with relieving spasms and relaxing the body overall, it 100% helps reduce pain. Everyone is different but after many years I’ve finally found something where I feel great and significantly helps better my quality of life. I prefer this medication over any MS or Pain Med.”

Pseudonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 19, 2020

“This is the only muscle relaxer that works for me without causing significant side effects. I’ve been on this for a number of years, and it keeps my pain (scoliosis, hyper-mobile TMD) at a manageable level. To echo some of the other reviews, I find the Teva generic (DAN 5513) much preferable to Aurobindo, Sciegen, or Northstar. Qualitest (2410 V) also used to be decent until they were bought out by Par, which was recently bought by Method. Unfortunately, this med is currently in shortage, so I’ve been in contact with Teva. Last month they said it was no longer on backorder, and in less than a month it went on backorder again. I hope they get it together and bring it back soon.”

CK · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2020

Soma (carisoprodol): “I have a fused left shoulder which causes a lengthy list of problems, but one of the most painful are the enormous knots throughout the back of what used to be my healthy happy shoulder. I am unable to raise my arm more than 6 inches vertically and the devastating & continual atrophy of the muscles I was lucky enough to keep will never stop. I was referred to a pain clinic that fortunately prescribes Soma for me which provides relief I haven't been able to achieve with any other muscle relaxers. I should probably note that I also had a spinal cord simulator planted into my spinal column.”

Allison41 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 2, 2019

“I have Severe herniated bulging discs and failed knee surgery so have cramps. The brands of carisoprodol that were effective have gone. My pharmacy has tried to help. I have tried Sciegen and Ventus with no pain relief Now they ordered Method a new pharmaceutical I think. They are like a half of the old brands. Very weak. I can’t get around very well any more. I was on it for about ten years. No side effects.”

Lililluminati November 16, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “I was originally prescribed soma for muscle pain in my back after being in multiple car wrecks. My doctor continued prescribing it through the 2011 crackdown by the feds. All the while saying “they’re taking it off the market”. On my last visit I heard that he’s closing his practice so if I cannot find another doctor who’ll prescribe it I’m basically so out of luck. Over the last few months I’ve been experiencing soma outages in pharmacies all over this area. The Watson brand (which anyone who takes this med will tell you is the only one that works well) has been acquired by Teva. In my opinion Teva make subpar meds and their carisoprodol is no exception. However, it’s still the one with the DAN 5513 stamp and that’s the only one that works (albeit not as well). So Teva acquires Watson and just stops making it altogether. Pharmacies are telling me they can’t even backorder it.”

Deb November 7, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “This drug works I have an illness called syringomyelia I have had 7 shunt placements in my c- spine and brain stem due to fluid in the cord growing upward to brain stem . The muscle spasms are intense the shunt goes down my spine and through my left ribs emptying in my abdomen. The problem is I can’t find a doctor in AZ that will prescribe Soma . I moved here from NV where it was one of my medication that worked perfectly with little to no side effects. There is no cure for syringomyelia and I will not be having another surgery please I just want my quality of life back.”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “I took Soma several years ago and did not have a good experience. I took it one night and laid down and when I woke up I was in a non-responsive state. My daughter had to take me to the hospital and they were assuming it was a bad reaction to the Soma”

Whatmikey · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2019

“I don't know what the hell they did with the carisoprodol brand Dan 5 5 1 2 at Walgreens but the SG brand of carisoprodol is garbage. I do like soma for the pain I have Spondylitis cervical spondylitis lumbar disc fibromyalgia”

Carol October 10, 2019

“I have been taking carisoprodol for 32 years. I tried Flexeril, but I felt like I'd drunk several cups of coffee after I took it. I have had fibromyalgia for 50+ years. I get terrible tension headaches and muscle spasms in the back of my neck. Tried botox injections with no success. The name brand (Soma) worked for me. My insurance used to cover the name brand and the generic, but Medicare doesn't. I have found some of the generics to be ineffective, particularly one made by Sun Pharma. This drug is a placebo as far as I'm concerned. I find the one marked DAN 5513 (Watson Labs) works well. The one marked 2410 (Vintage Pharmaceuticals) works for me, too. The last refill I got is marked CL 022. That one is barely effective.”

Centavo · Taken for 10 years or more October 1, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Soma has been a lifesaver for me, I've been fused C3-C7 (almost whole cervical spine), my entire lumbar spine is bulging and/or torn, I have MS (bad spasms), and inoperable arthritis in both hips. Soma is the only muscle relaxer that works on all those muscle groups. Seems like all the good patients that follow the rules are paying the price due to irresponsible people or addicts. I can still get mine and insurance pays some with a pre approval but who knows for how long”

Debjo · Taken for 10 years or more August 31, 2019

“I had thoracic surgery for a genetic lung condition in 1995. This was a full blown, cut me open all the way around my shoulder blade and move my ribs surgery!! The doctor didn't stitch or even tape the incision, so I have a DEEP, LONG SCAR all the way around my shoulder blade. Carisoprodol is the ONLY thing that has helped get rid of my muscle spasms, which have moved to include the muscles going up to the bottom of my neck. I have taken Flexeril, Tizanidine and Baclofen, none of which have have had any effect. I even went so far as to have injections directly into my scar, which caused my muscles to knot up even worse. I can't take any form of opioid based medications because they cause severe side effects.”

Maddie August 13, 2019

“QUALITEST carisoprodol is the ONLY brand that works for me (TMJ/severe shoulder injury pain ) and now, poof! It is off the market. Thanks for buying the one company out who makes a medication that actually works for so many patients in need of it. And then stops making it all together! So incredibly disappointed in the situation and now have been stuck in terrible pain with zero relief when I really need it. But still am told all the other brands are the same thing. Well, unless you take it, then you don’t really know do you? Thanks Endo pharma. For nothing”

Michie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 8, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “I get this medication every month. It helps with so many things, nerve damage, muscle pain & even sleep. I have used all before refill, and can tell you 100 percent I do not feel any detox from it. I wish it for people addicted to pain meds to receive this instead, it is honestly a cure all. I could be taking addiction causing pain meds. But no need. I honestly fell that this medication may be the answer for our opioid issues.”

Nana03 · Taken for 10 years or more August 7, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “I had been on Soma for the better part of 12 years. It was the best thing I had ever taken for my muscle spasms with my Fibromyalgia. I deal with a lot of pain and muscle spasm plus other things on a daily basis. When the CDC and FDA caused all that ruckus about Soma I was lucky that my Dr. still prescribed Soma for awhile. Then came the day when he was pressured into not prescribing it anymore. I haven't found a muscle relaxant that works yet!”

Lynn · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2019

“I use to get one brand fans which worked fine then they switched to the ones with v on them worked fine. Now got jubilant don't work at all what's the deal with always changing brands. Drug store said can't get fans or v anymore. Very frustrated. Also have DDD”

Dkratky1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 28, 2019

“Been on Soma for 5 years. I have had 7 Spinal Sugeries/6 Levels Fused. Wonder drug! Best drug ever, however, there are many brands out there that do not work for me. Teva, who bought Watson, is the only brand that works for me. Having major issues getting them. Wondering if Northstar has worked for anyone???”

Ron · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 23, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Soma worked well for me and it's actually the only muscle relaxant that helped with the spasms and pain I deal with (and I've tried all the others like baclofen,flexeril,and tizanidine) it's too bad abusers have caused the CDC and FDA to demonize this medication so that physicians have all but stopped prescribing it. Strange how they do that with all the medications that actually work.”

JAMES June 19, 2019

Vanadom (carisoprodol): “Have spurs in spinal cord this is the only one that really works”

Marley · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 26, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Soma is my saving grace. Having had severe work injuries and multiple surgeries it is used along with other treatments such as Botox injections, radio frequencies (ablation on the nerves in the lower back), pain meds, therapy etc. Have to agree with the other comments on the government, should keep their remarks on addiction and controlling society out of the lives of people who suffer with chronic pain, not to further mention the impact it has on the treating physician. But yet they are the ones that are putting society at risk by passing drug laws to line their pockets with revenues from the taxes imposed on the sales of these DRUGS. Soma has helped when other medication failed.”

steve April 7, 2019

“I started having full body cramping, feet, thumbs, calves, legs, stomach, back arms etc. so took 350 mg of Soma and it instantly disappeared. After six days developed a rash in groin and under arms. Going to doc this week.”

Katz March 9, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Soma works great, yet the DEA reclassified it so now it’s made out to be “heroin” it is actually not that, but it’s getting a bad wrap. Listen, it works for people... we are not the ones abusing it.”

bb February 27, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Most effective drug prescribed to date (350mg bid) for my numerous and severe chronic muscle spasms secondary to degenerative disk disease (DDD) and radiculopathy related nerve pain. Forced to retire from a major academic health center after 35-years of service as a healthcare supervisor, manager, administrator and researcher. I am lucky to have a PCP from the same medical center who treats patients bases on individual "medical need" and "improving quality of their life"-rather than someone else's recreational drug problem. He/She is MY MD-who is highly trained, experienced and licensed to make MEDICAL decisions for their patient on ethical/medical grounds-while the regulatory world and non-caring MD's and other policy makers seek to limit access and make continued use more difficult each year.”

Grammy · Taken for 10 years or more February 16, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “I have been taking Soma 350 since 1982 for muscle spasms in my back on and off with no complications or side effects. Other medications have not worked quite as well for me over the years”

Brian February 8, 2019

Soma (carisoprodol): “Just left the dentist and my lock jaw and muscle tension has relieved. Many years ago I use them for a back surgery and was very successful for me for a short time though”

Learn more about Muscle Spasm

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)