User Reviews for Carisoprodol

Also known as: Soma, Vanadom

Learn more about Carisoprodol.

Carisoprodol Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Carisoprodol to treat Muscle Spasm

Soma (carisoprodol): "Best and most effective medicine. I was diagnosed with Degenerative disc disease (DDD) and have chronic muscle cramps, soreness, shocking pain at times I lose my breath. Physicians are fearful and forget their duty to treat pain. Seems as if things that work aren't prescribed so you have to continue paying for visits and paying for medicine that doesn't work. Doctors are suppose to monitor patients who abuse and misuse soma but nope, all of us are now drug seeking. I hate that I'm looked at that way. I just use herbal medicine."

Klssocialwork October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "Experience horrible muscle spasms due to cerebral palsy was on a very high dose of zanaflex for the last eight years topped out on that and my very brave and forward thinking doc put me on soma three times a day. It does wonders coupled with opiate lyrica and an NSAIDS I virtually have little to no spasms and wake up everyday happy instead of suicidal. I don’t understand why a perfectly harmless drug is so blacklisted it is not a barbiturate after you take soma it turns into meprobamate these drugs mimic barbiturates but are not true barbiturates like pheno or secobarb so doctors out there remember if ur not doing anything wrong the DEA can’t screw with you"

Soma sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bulging and ruptured discs which obviously causes me pain. Soma metabolizes into meprobamate and is wonderful when used/prescribed in tandem with numerous analgesics. Up until the late '90's it was common for Drs to use them together. Meprobamate is still available under a myriad of brands. Most commonly Miltown,Milpath and Equanil. Seems as if ANY drug that MAY cause even the slightest "buzz" is systematically demonized by the DEA,FDA or any of the numerous entities that soap-box the evils of chemicals. Alcohol is probably THE WORST drug in the world yet readily available within walking distance of damn near everyone in any city with a population of at least 200 people. Heck, even in the frickin' jungle there are plenty of alternatives to suffering. The world can be so cold..."

Anonymous August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have herniated disks L5 and between C3 and C4. I got a prescription for Carisoprodol and pain killers. Kept the Carisoprodol for a while because I didn't use it. Had a recent spasm in my neck and used two 10mg pills over one day. I was able to really see the effects of just these two pills because I was taking no other drugs at this time. Effects: Next day muscle spasm has subsided significantly. Didn't take more. Side effects: Lethargy. Took an hour nap and it wasn't enough. I never nap. Went to bed early, got up late. Breathing was labored upon waking. Slight headache in the morning, a bit drowsy, slightly dizzy and unenthusiastic about life."

Hooligan1 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "ONLY muscle relaxant that works. Now being ruined by pharma/media/government trying to control abuse by limiting access. Many providers told not to prescribe. Sad for patients who need this."

Sportinjured (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I went three days with a sciatic flare in BOTH legs (and lower back and butt) - finally went to the ER. I was CRYING by this point, could not sit or lie down, just paced in pain. Dr. gave me a valium - did nothing. 20 mins later she gave me a SOMA and prednisone. *POOF* like MAGIC. I got a script for both, and only needed them combo a couple times/year. I found that later, after my fibromyalgia diagnosis, when I had a particularly bad flare, one SOMA and one prednisone and Trazodone to put me to sleep had the same effect - awoke with the flare gone. SOMA was a Godsend to me. Now, in Canada, it's not available. Had to get a hypo of Toradol at the ER for a sciatic flare. Really sad that I cannot get SOMA."

Cathlin (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has anyone ever paid attention to the manufacturers of these Soma's? I was getting the ones that say 2410 V (by Vintage Pharmaceutical) and now they are giving me these ones that say SG 109 (by SciGen pharmaceutical). These new ones are giving me nausea, horrible headaches. Anyone ever have this experience?"

Wish I had the old ones (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Soma, Carisoprodol, has been the biggest help w/ my spine's condition, next to an anti-depressant, Wellbutrin, & an anti-anxiety medication, Clonazapam. If a doctor doesn't understand this,( I have episodes of bulging/herniated discs/bone spurs/all of which will worsen over time, plus arthritis), it is because they are taught not to hear their patients' needs, due to our FDA laws pressure to not prescribe needed drugs. This medicine is specifically designed to relieve muscular-skeletal pain,(so is Flexeril) that makes perfect sense for me to be taking. Until Cannibis is legalized, any pain relief is always facing doctors who don't want to help. They took an oath when grad. as an M. D."

yogi dealing w/ pain (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I have Lupus, and it's compromising my central and peripheral nervous system. This left me with muscle spasms that were so bad I live in fear of them. Soma eliminated this problem, but when the DEA told physicians to stop prescribing it, I became a victim of the war on drugs. I am not a drug addict. I'm a hard working American who doesn't deserve to be treated like this. All this just happened in the last 6 months. Soma worked for me and now I can't obtain it."

Mr Z May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "Falling from the third floor into concrete and suffering for strong pain in back and neck."

Katarina221976 May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "This is the best muscle relaxer I have taken. I have a hairline fracture at top of my tibia. This released my knee overnight. It was locked! I take Klonopin so the sedation dizzy feeling was mild. However I didn't mix I skipped soma if anxiety was present."

Kellogs15 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dentist gave me this 29 years ago for (temporomandibular joint pain) TMJ after I had cracked 4 teeth, had to get crowns, and my jaw joints were deteriorating and my ears were ringing from swollen joints. It worked wonderfully! I know it saved me from further damage to my teeth & jaws. My regular doctor agreed to give it to me because my insurance would not cover dentist prescriptions. A few years ago he suddenly said he would no longer give it to anyone, so I had to get it from dentist again. Doctors are constantly being scared by FDA and DEA because of the jerks that abuse drugs. I've only ever taken one 350mg tablet at night and will never be a drug abuser, but they have all been scared and want to give you other drugs that don't work. Let docs do their job!"

Wondernaut (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using this brand for years due to back injury. Suddenly, Dan has changed ingredients in the last few bottles I've bought. Now I have to triple my dosage because they are not as effective as they used to be. I'm 63 years old and it's frustrating that Dan is trying to cut down costs. These pills get me through rough times but not anymore."

Jackielynncopersnuggles April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "Did not work at all for my neck spasms. Itmade me feel tired and dizzy with NO pain relief at all."

Mel Vasquez (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use this medication for relief of sciatica which, for me, is crippling pain in my right hip and calf. Of all the medications I've tried for sciatica relief this is the only one that has been effective. I would even go so far as to call it a miracle drug as my symptoms go away completely within an hour of taking this medication. I only need to take it for a few days at a time and have no problem controlling its use. I even pay full price for my prescription as my insurance company will not approve it for treatment of sciatica. It does cause me to feel light headed for a few minutes when it first "kicks in" and then I feel normal for the duration of the dose. (3x/day)"

Lynx-SD March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "Soma is a drug that should only be used temporarily. It works wonders but can give you a "drunk" feeling when taking it. If taken for months it can build up in your body and make it toxic. My mother almost died over this drug. Be careful. It's strong and too much of it can stop your heart or breathing very quickly."

Nuitdelamort (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I never got high on this drug. For some reason Soma gets converted to something else which is a barbituate. I got flack from Drs. in 2002 and a pharmacist who said that it was very wrong for anyone to take it. But I have had a DNA test and I am an ultrametabolizer of all benzodiazepines and all but one barbituate ( Doriden ). I no longer take controlled substances because either they don't work on me or more to the point, these days, Drs. just don't like to prescribe them. Upshot, Soma works, but Drs. are scared of the DEA."

PharmasBitch March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I have fibromyalgia, have fractured my back and had fusion surgery in the cervical area of my back. I had taken soma for close to 35 years as it was the only muscle relaxant that worked and I could tolerate. I moved from La. to Tx 4 years ago and had to start using a new pain management dr. I have no problem with the dr. However in Tx no dr will prescribe soma. Now I have daily muscle spasms increasing the overall amount of pain I have. I have developed severe tailbone pain which makes it very difficult to work. It upsets that I had to go from controlled symptoms to totally uncontrolled. I take pain meds but that does not help when you have muscle spasms as I do.only dulls the pain. So my quality of life is horrible and it is not right �"

Bbec (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I had been taking soma for the past 6 or 7 years for muscle spasms. I only ever took one at bedtime to eliminate leg spasms and get a perfect 8 hours of sleep. My doctor will now no longer prescribe it because the FDA morons think they know better than him. Tried Xanaflex, and it left me with what felt like a kidney infection, crazy dreams and it was only good for 4-6 hours of sleep. About to try baclofen. Haven't slept well in 3 weeks. I think the FDA is trying to kill me. If it wasn't so far to Canada, I would leave now."

FEDOUT (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 1990 with DDD of L4, L5 & C3. I have a lot of sciatic pain, neck & back spasms my Ortho put me on Soma 350 2x/day. I had 2 disc fusions done (L5 & C3). I had to start going to P.M. in 1998, they put me on Morphine Sulfate 30 mg ER 2x/ day & Soma 2x/day. Since 2008 I've been disabled, my body has been like a domino effect, I have Osteoarthritis throughout my body, DDD, Fibromyalgia, & Nephropathy all extremities so bad that I've been on the same meds, except both were 3x/day since 2011 up until less than 2 months ago, I had to change P.M. Dr & this Dr is trying to Kill me with a med called "Embeda." It has Naltrexone hydrochloride in it!!! DO NOT TAKE until you read all about it!! Along with No more Soma or any muscle relaxant."

Kim1991 (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I have severe spinal stenosis and ddd. Not to mention a list of other things that cause me pain and loss of sleep . Kaiser has taken me off of soma and I have tried several other muscle relaxers none work for me and the side effects were unbearable!. My quality of life has deminished soon, I won't be able to get out of bed. When I was taking Soma to control my pain From spasms this was a miracle medicine . I have never had any side effects from it at all . Would a doctor stop giving medicine for other conditions like diabetes or heart disease No! But they did with Soma . Due to this issue I will be laying in bed for Christmas yeah Merry Christmas ! I cried myself to sleep last night . Thank you Kaiser that's your plan for me live in pain"

This medication has helped me (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I was in mva,resulting in C ,T and L-spine fx, had 4 major surgery procedures & with 50/50 chance of death or possible paralysis from neck down! Fortunately I have positive results, with combination of pain medication & soma,I have at least been able to survive! Soma is the only muscle relaxer that actually works.My new pain management Dr.does not like it & wants me to discontinue using it. He is young, and at my age 68 ,I would prefer to live a better quality of life vs living longer and and suffering even more! I have read most of the studies, but these people do not live in severe pain and I have been in other rx stud studies,& they are not convincing or long term, I think these are big pharma slanted! Soma has been the best & only one"

Misha girl 8 (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have fibromyalgia. Bulges disc c2-c7 spinal nueropo.stenosis.plantar fasciitis severe migraines.Lost my last job could not take opioid or xanax to stop pain n clear fibro. fog. Had been in bad aaccident1995.Pain level 10. Pain clinic doctor just told me to stop soma since I'm on Opoids and Morphine. Started tapering off. My MD told me yesterday Soma is not going to be prescribed anymore. I haven't been having withdrawals but my spasms are back to a 10. My sleep is distributed again and my sciatica is tightening up. I will be taking the new muscle relaxes but nothing but soma and zanaflez combined to totally stopped spasms. I will take as prescribed but is taking the effectiveness of my pain meds.I also have depression, anxiety panic PTSD."

bailey61 (taken for 10 years or more) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, herniated discs in my neck and lower back, deterioration of my spine, etc. I've been on soma and a pain med, for over 15 years. I take them only when my back starts spasming out. A combination of being in pain constantly and the fibro. They are the only muscle relaxer that works, and I can only take one brand, as the others make me nauseous. Whatever they throw in for fill. Now the DEA, is getting into all our business, and on the doctors backs. I've never had a problem with my meds, I'm almost 60 yrs old, and they want to take the only thing that works for me away! All because of certain idiots that Don't take it properly. I have a child to take of, which i cant do laying in bed."

PJPained (taken for 10 years or more) October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Soma (carisoprodol): "I have Ankylosing Spondylitous and have suffered for 30 years with muscle spasms the whole time. Ive been on Soma for 12 years (2 a day) and have had tremendous relief. It allows me to work and contribute like a normal person. Nothing else works like this and now as of 10/01/16 my health care provider will not prescribe it anymore! All because a few knuckleheaded people abuse it and end up addicted. Now Im on a journey through all the other muscle relaxers to find something that will work like Soma. Just got my first round of something else that look like horse pills that I have to take 4x a day. Wait, I thought change was a good thing....................................Not so much in this case."

Steve1324 October 15, 2016