User Reviews for Canagliflozin

Also known as: Invokana

Learn more about Canagliflozin.

Canagliflozin Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Canagliflozin to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Invokana brought my blood sugar down to between 160 & 245 (not much of a drop however), gave me a constant, excruciating UTI and yeast infections, and did my liver a lot of harm during the 2 months I took it"

BS Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been on Invokana for 9 months. The first few months, I saw my skin darkening. I stopped the medication for a month and my skin tone cleared. However, Invokana brought my A1C down from a 10 to 8. So, I resumed the medication. But, after two or three weeks of resuming the medication, I noticed a decreased sensation in my genital area. Although, I can achieve orgasm, sensitivity is decreased. In addition, I feel tingling sensation and numbness in my fingers and toes. I am definitely coming off of Invokana. NO MORE!!!"

Anonymous October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I've been diagnosed type 2 since 1995. I'm extremely insulin resistent, and had Invokana added to my list of meds in early 2016. Started at 100 mg, then was upped to 300 mg. My A1c had been running in the lower to mid 7's (7.2-7.5) range. Adding Invokana A1c dropped to high 6's (6.6-6.9). Not a huge drop but I'll take anything under 7.0. During the first year I did have to urinate during the day almost every hour, and because of that had an increased thirst. Now it has slacked off to pretty much normal. I take 300 mg Invokana, on top of 1000 mg Metformin twice a day, 4 mg Glimepiride twice a day, 5 mg, Tradjenta once a day, @30-40 units of Apidra fast acting insulin depending on meals, and then 40 units of Basaglar slow acting insulin."

cjones2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I've had T2 for over 10 years. A1Cs increased to 7.1 from 6.2 while on janumet 50/1000 2x/day. Dr put me on invokana 200mg 2x day. Fasting dropped after 2 weeks to 120. Drinking lots of water which has prevented yeast infections. I was concerned about the black box warnings and amputations. Now in 7th month and my right is so achy.. My dr reassured me that that this drug is safe. He also stated that his "drug rep" confirmed that clinical trials must include amputations from auto accidents unrelated to the medication. Yes my Dr really said that . Going to stop invokana and changing doctors. Good luck guys!"

Hillary85008 August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Have been type 2 for ten years. Janumet and glipizide controlled the A1C IF I behaved with eating. A1C went up and doctor said Invokana. I didn't like the idea of what it does - because of what I read, but doc assured me she had many many patients on it with no problems. Tried the 100mg / day for three months. Didn't notice anything at first. Until now, I realized I had depression coming back after over 20 years on Paxil, exhausted all the time, gastrointestinal pains similar to diverticulitis, and blood review shows almost nothing (A1C 7.5 down to 7.3) BUT cholesterol went way up! I've had no cholesterol issues for many years on a statin. I really think that this class of drug is "wishful thinking" on the part of the drug company. BAD"

cat fan 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Been on Invokana for two years. Also on Metformin and Lantus. Earlier on, I was on Metformin and Diamicron (Gliclazide), still couldn't get my blood sugar numbers to where I needed them, so my doctor added Lantus to the mix. A year later, blood sugar levels were great, but I had gained enough weight to go up two waist sizes. (Before the Lantus, my weight held steady.) Changed from Diamicron to Invokana, blood sugar numbers still good (A1C 5.8), and it took four months to lose the two waist sizes I gained. I am still losing weight, and have been able to reduce my nightly insulin dose by about 10%. No other side effects (e.g. no UTI's), kidneys are fine (my doctor includes that in the lab work). This medication has been a godsend."

Xenon 62 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have BP and Diabetes Type 2 for a long time .I take Metapro xl 1, Minipress 5 mg 1 for BP and Januvia 100 mg 1 tab, Metformin 1 gm twice and Invokana 100 mg before breakfast for Diabetes. Gradually I am losing weight and and feel fatigue during day. In last 3 months since taking Invokana my fasting sugar is 117 and PP is 142.I have however lost 6 kg. Pls advise remedy."

vijay2459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been on many medications and insulin also, I have been on invokana for almost a year and what a huge difference for me. Yes at first you are thirsty drinking lots of water but you should be drinking water anyways to not get dehydrated as a diabetic. All medications are different for people so you just need to do what you body feels, I rather take a pill than insulin any day. I have been a diabetic for over 7 yrs. So I have tried many things, this worked for me. I read a lot of the reviews also and was not sure but my doctor wanted me to give it a try so glad I did. I just wanted to say what works for one may not work for the other. Just don't give up. You'll find what works for you"

everyone is not the same (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been a T2 diabetic for 10 years. I started invokana 2 days ago and it has been absolutely horrible. I have never felt so bad in my life. I am unable to perform my job having to leave work early because of the feeling of just being extremely tired. I have been in the bed these last two days more than I would like. I have been urinating at every 15 to 20 minutes all day and night and have noticed a smell in my urine that wasn't there before. This medication needs to be pulled off of the market."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I was on invokamet for 6 weeks, then my insurance stopped paying for it. Then I was put on invokana and metformin. The invokamet worked to bring my fasting sugars down to 90, however invokana and metformin separately, I'm waking up to BS of 140 to 180. Yes, frequency in urination is extremely frustrating and I was so thirsty all of the time. I'm 32 years old, was on birth control, used condoms, spermicidal foam and now I'm pregnant. One of the side effects is "may increase chances of pregnancy", the other side effect is "may cause severe birth defects in fetuses". I took every precaution, except abstinence, to prevent this pregnancy. I'm currently off of the Invokana."

Bubblybutterflie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been on 100mg Invokana (as well as glyburide, metformin, and Lantus) for about 6 months. That was, until yesterday. I took myself off the Invokana, as I can no longer tolerate the side effects. While I am used to putting up with moderate side effects if a drug is working well, the initial yeast infection followed by a constantly increasingly severe case of vulvovaginitis was enough for me. The itching and pain were so severe that I couldn't sleep. I informed my doctor of my decision today, and we are waiting to see whether/when my symptoms decrease. Considering my experience and the new black box warning on Invokana, I will never take it again."

Picky54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "This drug should be taken off the market. If you haven't seen the commercials yet, it can cause loss of body parts. Sorry, amputation doesn't sound fun to me. I've been on it for 1 month. I have had a yeast infection for 2 weeks, if not longer. I've had so many different side effects from this pill, it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm not going to list them, it's such a long list. You have to wonder why the doctors prescribe this, oh that's right they get paid by the companies for pushing it. I'll stick to my regular metformin and not use a drug that kills me."

Jolynnze July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "While Invokana does control A1C, the damage it does to your body is horrible! Let alone I have to drink about a gallon of water a day, I can't stop peeing. I'm 55 and pee the bed every night. My kidney and liver numbers have been rapidly climbing ever since I started this drug. If you can avoid this drug, do so. If you can't, get plenty of depends (incontinence pants)... you're gonna need them!"

JahnK July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Hello, I thought since everyone else is sharing their comments on this I would also. I took Invokana for about a year. I had the yeast infections so bad that I was having two periods a month. I quit taking it in Oct of 2016, in Nov of 2016 I had severe pain. I went to my OB/GYN and I ended up having a hysterectomy in Jan of 2017, now I am dealing with high WBC. This was the worst drug I could of been on. I ruined my life in so many ways. Just wanted to let you know."

Denise F (Ohio) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabeties and was started on Invokana 100mg. Since just starting it I haven't really had any real reactions to it just yet. But I have found myself having to urinate much more often then normal. I have other medical issues and hope this medication won't affect those issues negatively."

Breee123 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been using Invokana 100 mg from past two months. My blood sugar level are gone down to normal level. I lost my 10 pounds of weight. sometimes I feel dizziness and extremely tired. This is medication is not as effective as initial days. But still I would recommend this, as I have not faced any major side effects. 50% medicine cost payed by my insurance ,15$ from my pocket and rest payed by invokana saving card."

lingaswara (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I have been on this medication for a little over 1 month. In the beginning the side effects took a while to get used too - water..water..water... I am still constantly thirsty. I was itchy in the beginning but it has gotten better. I have lost about 17 pounds and feel sooo much better!!!! I have to admit I read through the reviews before I even started the medication and was very hesitant - I am so glad that I gave it a try. This has been a life changer so far."

brandylaster76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "This medication only lowered my blood sugar for the first week I was on it. After that it didn't seem to work much. It also caused severe dehydration symptoms including headaches, dizziness, rapid heartbeat and confusion. That was with drinking over 100 oz of water a day. It also made me extremely depressed."

JenniferMichalle (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Invokana has worked fabulous for me - I've been on it 10 months and it has lowered my A1C by 1.5 and have lost weight. For those of you having yeast infections -- Take an Iron Supplement. I began to get yeast infection -- upped my iron supplement and it went away and has stayed away. My doctor is now switching me from Invokana to something else due to a recent "warning" on kidney failure. It was enough to concern her -- even though I have no symptoms. I am reluctant to switch since the Invokana has worked so well. Just take the iron and it should level out and stop the yeast issues."

Rockne1 June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Took Invokana about 9 months. Glucose numbers were great. Started getting horrible yeast infection. It would not go away even with prescription medication. The itching started vaginal and anus area. I was miserable. No type medication would eradicate the itching. Infection got so bad my good white blood count cells could not fight off the infection in my body. Started feeling weak, extremely thirsty, eating so much ice my ice machine could not keep up with me. Started coughing a lot, short of breath, anemic. body aches, dry hair and skin, plus I still had the yeast smell. Had blood test performed at local hospital. White count cells was 247 thousand, normal is 10 thousand. Diagnosis Cancer Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia, my blood got infected."

JSgausa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "DON'T TAKE IT!!! I was on Invokana for one month. It made all of my body fluids stink and the really gross part was that, since my saliva smelled the same as my urine, my mouth tasted the way my urine smelled. Perhaps I could have learned to live with that but it helped not at all so I quit taking it. Now two, months later, that awful smell and taste is still in my urine and mouth. I fear something is terribly wrong. It should be totally out of my system now but it, clearly, is not. I have made an appointment to see my doctor. This medication is not okay! DON'T TAKE IT!!!"

SparkyReet (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "Have been on Invokana/Metformin (Invokamet) for less than a week and my experience has been terrible. I expected to have to urinate more but I am experiencing an insatiable thirst with the need to urinate almost hourly which is extremely disruptive to daily activities. Even after less than a week on the medication I am having constant genital itching. But the final straw for me was an exacerbation of my neuropathy. My legs from the knee down burn so severely that I cannot sleep. I am done with this and have decided to stop taking it completely. If this is working for you that's great but I just cannot tolerate the side effects."

TnDave (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "At first I liked it. My Endocrinologist was waiting for it to be approved and available, so put me on it once it was. It lowered my Blood Sugar and my Blood Pressure. I did not lose weight as some do (which I suspect is mostly water weight from urinating more). I had to stop my blood pressure medicine because I felt I was bottoming out with both meds (Invokana was lowering my blood pressure too). But now that I have been taking Invokana, since it was available, I just recently stopped it due to not being able to handle the side effects anymore. I feel so FATIQUED ALL the time. My muscles ache once I get to the top of my stairs. I am out of breath and feel like I have run a marathon. My chest would feel tight and just felt faint all the time when doing anything! Add life's stresses (job) to that, and it made me so miserable!! And, I have been working out 4 days a week since Jan!! It is so frustrating. I am also on week 4 of a nothing but veggie and some fruit smoothies (no meat, wheat, and only dairy is whole fat Greek yogurt). So I figured since I was having to watch my blood sugars more closely, since they were lower with this new eating plan, now was a good time to quit the Invokana. I am hoping within a week I might feel like my old self again. Due to doing EVERYTHING I can to HELP my Diabetes, and I still felt bad, I knew it had to be my Invokana. The only other med I take is Lantis SolarStar. I started to get worried about long term effects of Invokana, especially since I was doing what anyone with health issues should do (exercise and eat super healthy), and still felt fatigued, I decided to do more research online and have found MANY others with my SAME and worse side effects. Many complain of constant yeast infections (both women and men), hair loss, swelling of lymph nodes to where they did STD tests and cancer screening, shortness of breath, fatigue, urinary tract infections, bladder infections, kidney issues (some really bad). I got scared reading so many many bad reviews. I don't want to end up with major kidney problems!! So I am going to do what every Type II Diabetic should do, and actually EAT HEALTHY and EXERCISE!! We are switching to organic foods and plan to continue drinking these green smoothies for 2 meals a day and have a reasonable dinner. We need to lose weight anyways. That will ensure we get tons of veggies and fruits and so much nutrition that we would otherwise be deficient in. We keep track of all our calories to ensure we get enough protein, and healthy fat etc. I also take some supplements, super foods, and vitamins made with whole food. We are going to stop all soda, sugar, artificial sweeteners, and pre-made and highly processed foods, as best we can...it will be a process, lol. . I am so mad at all that is put in our food, I can't believe it is legal!!. Most chronic type diseases are due to inflammation in the body and what we PUT in our bodies. Healthy in, healthy out. Crap in, crap out. You ARE what you eat. Stop putting chemicals and toxins in your body. Stop eating food that is not raised/cultivated naturally healthy. Eat whole food and "clean" foods. Cure yourself with Nature's Nutrition! Good luck to you all! :D"

Tammy P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "In the first week I started getting a yeast infection vaginally. The I started getting it everywhere imaginable. It was so bad that I had to stop using it and take Diflocam (pill) for 3 weeks."

DeeMaries April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin): "I used this for about 6 months 100mg. Then increased to 300mg. A month later I got the side effect of balanitis (irritation on the tip of the penis) This stuff is terrible, and will never think about using it again. Horrible experience."

Klattu April 7, 2017