User Reviews for Canagliflozin

Also known as: Invokana

Learn more about Canagliflozin.

Diabetes, Type 2 171 reviews 138 medications

6.7
Summary of Canagliflozin reviews 171 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Canagliflozin

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on invokana, 300 mg, for about 2 years. At first, made me sick,minor weight loss, then improved. My a1c gradually went down. Lowest I got to was 6.9, with constant yeast infection. Unfortunately, in March 2015 had a mild heart attack and had to have 2 stents in one artery. My cardiologist was was extremely surprised, as on the onset of invokana, arteries were clear and wished he had mine... after invokana when heart attack happened, said hard to believe, what happened, as artery should have never have clogged the way it did in 2 years. I blame all on invokana, but hard to prove. Never took again. Needless to say blood sugars dropped after, and have just started to go up now. dr put me on jardiance, haven't started yet will try to do on my own "

Silverladi December 2, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I loved Invokanamet, my A1C went from 9.3 to 7.2 and my blood sugars never went over 120 fasting or after meals. But the the yeast infections made me go insane. They lasted about 2-3 weeks and I got one every month! I wanted to die it was so unbearable. I also woke up feeling like I was stranded in the desert for days every morning but that wasn't too bad. DR switched to Januvia over 3 weeks ago and my blood sugars went from 120 to 350! Going back to the doctor on Thursday to try something else, if i could take hold of the YI i'd never get off Invokanamet"

Melissa Pz November 29, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "med helped control blood sugars a little but with awful side effects. Was taking 100mg never increased to the reco300mg couldn't do it as I felt so aweful on the 100mg. Side effects were extreme tiredness and thirst, nauseous, increase in HDL and triglycerides, after a few months started loosing my hair probably lost 50% volume and getting terrible leg cramps in calves at night would wake me up several times each and every night, severe stabbing pains mid/lower back and the brain fog was terrible. Quit drug!! Spoke to pharmacist he had multiple people coming in saying "get me off this drug it's killing me"- which is how I felt! Drug company paid for the drug even though my insurance would have paid for it-pharmacist thought this was odd."

Igotutwo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "extremely effective in lowering glucose and also blood pressure...however, likely due to dehydration, despite attempting Best to keep hydrated, drinking water frequently. Biggest side effect, after 2 weeks on medicine, had a constant brain fog, consistently felt foggy, head was not clear, was difficult to perform any action...also felt very weak....100 mg dosage 1x/ day...took about 2 days being off medication return to normal head function, could not stay on medicine"

Chris k November 5, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Put on meds 300mgs summer of 2016 after being on 100mgs Januvia since 2007. Have all the side affects, I told doctor who said it's normal. Do have kidney disease that WWE monitor. Issue is I'm feel like I'm going crazy brain fog, very very tired, anxiety high, don't trust my judgement, my ocd has come back big time, know what I'm thinking about just can't think of the right words, know what I wanna say but comes out different, paranoid,insomnia, I sleep about 12 hrs a day, don't have energy hot flashes,use to be very active person. Don't want to do anything or be bothered by anyone my life has really been altered, was just wondering if anyone else experienced this too."

Anonymous November 2, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I took Metformin 1000 mgs b.i.d. with no glucose control, added in Januvia 50 mgs 1 qd and STILL no glucose control and A1c sucked big time. Now have added in 300 mgs of Invokana 1 qd and my glucose has dropped from 450+ to 110-120 and my A1c is down from 9.7 to 6.2! Severe hair loss and leg and hand cramping but I am ALIVE!!"

Clockmakers Wife (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Started off on this drug August 2 of this year at 100mg. Within 10 days was being treated for severe dehydration. Increased fluid intake and dosage was upped to 300mg. Now in October, glucose numbers are down to normal, have lost 38 lbs, but side effects are unbearable. Severe itching, leg and hand cramps all night long and yeast infections are too frequent. Tired all the time. I agree it works, but at what cost?? Miserable diabetic!! I'm not going to take it anymore. I'm done fighting!!"

Granmurray (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I felt good on Invokanamet, my A1c was reduced and I lost weight. My Dr. was pleased. I would have been too if it weren't for the horrible yeast infection that simply would not go away even with several different meds including difluican (sp?) It was so painful and itchy that I could not concentrate on anything other than that. I stopped taking it and went back to glipizide"

AEinPHX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking Invokana for about 5 months and I feel great!! My a1c went from 9.8 to 7.4 in 3 months. The only side effects I have noticed is some weight loss. But the weight loss stopped. It does make me really thirsty, small price to pay for controlled blood sugar levels."

Alejandro Felix October 9, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on invokana 100 mg for 2 month to treat my type 2 diabetes I also take 2000 mg metformin daily and Trajenta 5 mg I did get a yeast infection and horrible rash on my thighs but cleared with steroid cream yeast infection did settle after 2 weeks my sugar has lowered but still not enough I was 77 kg when starting but with a healthier diet and some excercise I'm now 71 kg the lowest I've been in years I have now been upped dosage to 300 mg bit apprehensive how my body will cope but long term I think it will benefit me as I don't want to be taking insulin ."

Noor21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "At the beginning it looks like a wonder drug. Immediate drops. A couple of months later I can say that is doing nothing. I am on Countinuous Monitorig Glucose tool and I see no difference when I take this drug. Actually levels my sugar levels are reaching are record high. Never below 12/14 with top of 21/24! No yeast infections but my hands are hurting... cramps. Plus the usual "drunkenness" feeling that comes with high glucose. Urinating is now a joke. I spend more time out of hte office than at my desk and the night is a constant up and down the stairs and not had a full night sleep in weeks. I am taking metformine and gliclazide too. I will stop soon and pass to insuline, I am afraid..."

LouisLondon September 23, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "all the side effects from the seven pages i have these side effects THIS should come off market before you kill a lot of people "

bill home (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been on Invokana for almost a year. No problems though I realize that I have to drink water almost constantly. Went from size 18 to size 12, but I cut out a lot of sugar and try to eat more healthy, like watching my carbs."

t.rodgers September 7, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Severe yeast infections that caused bleeding and the strongest type of medications wouldn't knock it out."

T.Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "At first I had great success. I lost 15 lbs, I no longer needed to use Novorapid and reduced my Lantus. Then my BS started increasing and had to use Novorapid again and increase Lantus. My a1c went from 8.9 to 8.3 in 3 months. Severe yeast infection from the start. My endo increased it to 300 mg. I still take the same dose of Novorapid and Lantus and still have highs. Haven't lost any more weight and yeast infection is so bad I just want to claw someone's eyes out. I'm not sure I want to stay on it."

HersheyNat August 28, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "On it for over two years. Sugar from 300 to normal within three months. So far I think it is a miracle drug. Feel good over all and I am able to eat normal foods."

steel one (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My blood sugar's were constantly in the 250 to 300 range. I experienced a burning sensation in my stomach and stomach pain and discomfort constantly. I had extreme thirst. My fluid intake doubled I was drinking approximately 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of fluid a day with frequent urination. Finally my stomach discomfort reached such a high level that I had to stop taking the medication. My blood sugar's were still in the upper 200 and lower 300 range as well so I thought thw medicatio was ineffective as well, and as my side effects were no longer tolerable."

Thawyzard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been on Invokana for year in a half. At first I did lose weight as I've done with other diabetic medications. That lasted maybe a month and than stopped. I didn't see a significant drop in my A1C and have frequent yeast infection. If I can't get to the pharmacy to pick it up and am without it for a couple of days I get relief from the yeast infection. I'm to the point where I am tired of dealing with having the and will most likely ask my doctor to take me off of it."

tracyn22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on Invokana for 2 years now and A1c went from 8.8 to 6.5. Weight loss was the best part of taking this medication. Really no side effects except having to pee more often if I eat too much. Was advised by my doctor to drink more water than usual to avoid yeast infection. So far so good. I hope my insurance continues to cover this medicine."

Moke1204 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Taking Invokana for at least several years now. Also take metformin and Tradjenta, but the latter is new for me. One thing I noticed almost right away was a "weird" feeling that was kind of like skin sensitivity which could be related to (decreased) circulation. When I told doctor about it, was told very firmly that "that is not something associated with this drug." Now all of a sudden there is new info about increased amputations! Also get the aches, muscle pains and swollen arm pits/arms. I was really wondering about that! Why? No yeast problems, though. Did help as the "final push" to really help normalize sugars, but will now reconsider taking it! Prob. not worth it."

jcpa June 22, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "i've been on Invokana for two years. I never lost weight on it, however, my A1c had finally gone to normal after 20 yrs of being a diabetic. However, I had to stop taking it today after I put two and two together the symptoms I am having. Hair loss; severe muscle and joint pain; severe muscle cramps and contractions of legs at night that I would literally cry and hands cramping and contracting day and night; frequency and urgency to urinate (I unknowingly pee'd in bed several times and pee on myself during the day uncontrollably); brain fog, severe tiredness; constant yeast infection; bladder infections; constant thirst; and eye infections when I never ever had them before. This medication needs to go off the market. Pray for me!"

andrewsgal June 21, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Within 12 days 100 mg brought my sugar down 40 pts. HOWEVER, it did a number on my blood pressure. I have excellent blood pressure, on the lower end of normal, and this dropped it down to the point I could barely function. Fatigue so bad I had to stop driving after 15 miles because I was falling asleep at the wheel. Going up the 3 flights of stairs to my apt felt like climbing Mt. Everest. Constant dizziness, wooziness, the floor felt like it was moving when I'd bend down. Weird tunnel vision effect like what happens when you know you're gonna faint. It took 2 full days for all those side effects to clear after I quit taking it. I suffered 12 days thinking I'd get used to it but it just kept getting worse. Beware low BP side effects with it"

WeaselMama (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on.invokana 100 for almost 3 months and.it has reduced A1c levels from.9 to 6.I am slowly reducing dosages of other medicines.will need to see for any side effects of liver kidney etc.so far none."

Sgraja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Although this medication did bring my sugars down a bit and my tastings incredible I had to stop taking it because of constant yeast infections. I thought I could toughen it out but after being on it for three months and no sign of the infections going away my doctor took me off of it. I have also notice my hair is so much thinner and falling out. My nails were also brittle and breaking. And make sure you drink plenty of water because it dehydrates you very fast"

Gen1203 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2016

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started on 100 mg and on day 2 was running to bath room with sudden urgency. After 2 weeks I started experiencing pain in both armpits and upper arms, along with yeast infection. Stopped and waited a week an retried taking. Same symptoms only worse. Not worth it to me."

Initial experience on Invokana (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016