User Reviews for Canagliflozin

Also known as: Invokana

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Canagliflozin.

Diabetes, Type 2
6.3

Summary of Canagliflozin reviews 6.3 220 reviews

Reviews for Canagliflozin

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I'm a 47 year old type 2 diabetic for over 20 years. Have been on most insulin’s after the pills stopped working for me. Then dropped a huge amount of weight so I was taken off all meds. Now gained 45lb and A1C in the 10’s. In the past two years. I’ve tried Januvia, not a lot of side effects but didn’t lower my sugars. So I was put on Invokana. Worked good for maybe two months on lowering my sugars but the side effects were quite bothersome. Especially the longer I was on it. Yeast infections bad. Up at night going to the bathroom because of the way the med works, extremely tired, thirsty,dehydration issues if you don’t drink enough and the recent gas,bloating,constipation issues. I couldn’t get enough carbs with my cravings and wt gain! Off the Med and on to Victoza!"

GHLType2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "My 78 year old mom we have bin taking her to the doctors for the last 5 months with what we thought was or doctors thought were UTI's no its yeast, no its bladder, no just lots of sugar in the urine but she's not eating sugar. Yesterday the doctor called me to say stop giving her Invokana she was urinating every 10 min and so called infections she's had for 5 months couldn't believe it. No body could figure it out I told them she's dehydrated he looked at her today and said yes .This was yesterday"

Kosic1 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "It's this simple... Invokana was great at reducing my glucose and ultimately my A1C. The problem I had was the extreme vaginal itching. I told my doctor, my gynecologist and they constantly blamed my diabetes. But I questioned how could that be if it was controlled. I researched invokana realized that vaginal itching was a side effect and stopped using the invokana. The itching started to subside then eventually went away all together. The Doctor who prescribed it should have said something when I told her my symptoms. She didn't even question my decision to stop using it."

MzDee38 November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Took 100 mg Invokana for three weeks and blood sugar readings dropped dramatically even after reducing insulin dosage. Then feet started a "burning" feeling and shooting pains in my right foot. This persisted for 3 days and I decided I didn't want to think about potential lose of my feet. Life moves on with one less concern."

AlSeev November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I took this drug for 6 days. On the third day my sugar dropped to 60. On the sixth day it did it again - hypoglycaemic.. take at your own risk!! very bad drug"

Anonymous November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Invokana brought my blood sugar down to between 160 & 245 (not much of a drop however), gave me a constant, excruciating UTI and yeast infections, and did my liver a lot of harm during the 2 months I took it"

BS Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Invokana for 9 months. The first few months, I saw my skin darkening. I stopped the medication for a month and my skin tone cleared. However, Invokana brought my A1C down from a 10 to 8. So, I resumed the medication. But, after two or three weeks of resuming the medication, I noticed a decreased sensation in my genital area. Although, I can achieve orgasm, sensitivity is decreased. In addition, I feel tingling sensation and numbness in my fingers and toes. I am definitely coming off of Invokana. NO MORE!!!"

Anonymous October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've been diagnosed type 2 since 1995. I'm extremely insulin resistent, and had Invokana added to my list of meds in early 2016. Started at 100 mg, then was upped to 300 mg. My A1c had been running in the lower to mid 7's (7.2-7.5) range. Adding Invokana A1c dropped to high 6's (6.6-6.9). Not a huge drop but I'll take anything under 7.0. During the first year I did have to urinate during the day almost every hour, and because of that had an increased thirst. Now it has slacked off to pretty much normal. I take 300 mg Invokana, on top of 1000 mg Metformin twice a day, 4 mg Glimepiride twice a day, 5 mg, Tradjenta once a day, @30-40 units of Apidra fast acting insulin depending on meals, and then 40 units of Basaglar slow acting insulin."

cjones2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I've had T2 for over 10 years. A1Cs increased to 7.1 from 6.2 while on janumet 50/1000 2x/day. Dr put me on invokana 200mg 2x day. Fasting dropped after 2 weeks to 120. Drinking lots of water which has prevented yeast infections. I was concerned about the black box warnings and amputations. Now in 7th month and my right is so achy.. My dr reassured me that that this drug is safe. He also stated that his "drug rep" confirmed that clinical trials must include amputations from auto accidents unrelated to the medication. Yes my Dr really said that . Going to stop invokana and changing doctors. Good luck guys!"

Hillary85008 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Have been type 2 for ten years. Janumet and glipizide controlled the A1C IF I behaved with eating. A1C went up and doctor said Invokana. I didn't like the idea of what it does - because of what I read, but doc assured me she had many many patients on it with no problems. Tried the 100mg / day for three months. Didn't notice anything at first. Until now, I realized I had depression coming back after over 20 years on Paxil, exhausted all the time, gastrointestinal pains similar to diverticulitis, and blood review shows almost nothing (A1C 7.5 down to 7.3) BUT cholesterol went way up! I've had no cholesterol issues for many years on a statin. I really think that this class of drug is "wishful thinking" on the part of the drug company. BAD"

cat fan 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on Invokana for two years. Also on Metformin and Lantus. Earlier on, I was on Metformin and Diamicron (Gliclazide), still couldn't get my blood sugar numbers to where I needed them, so my doctor added Lantus to the mix. A year later, blood sugar levels were great, but I had gained enough weight to go up two waist sizes. (Before the Lantus, my weight held steady.) Changed from Diamicron to Invokana, blood sugar numbers still good (A1C 5.8), and it took four months to lose the two waist sizes I gained. I am still losing weight, and have been able to reduce my nightly insulin dose by about 10%. No other side effects (e.g. no UTI's), kidneys are fine (my doctor includes that in the lab work). This medication has been a godsend."

Xenon 62 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have BP and Diabetes Type 2 for a long time .I take Metapro xl 1, Minipress 5 mg 1 for BP and Januvia 100 mg 1 tab, Metformin 1 gm twice and Invokana 100 mg before breakfast for Diabetes. Gradually I am losing weight and and feel fatigue during day. In last 3 months since taking Invokana my fasting sugar is 117 and PP is 142.I have however lost 6 kg. Pls advise remedy."

vijay2459 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on many medications and insulin also, I have been on invokana for almost a year and what a huge difference for me. Yes at first you are thirsty drinking lots of water but you should be drinking water anyways to not get dehydrated as a diabetic. All medications are different for people so you just need to do what you body feels, I rather take a pill than insulin any day. I have been a diabetic for over 7 yrs. So I have tried many things, this worked for me. I read a lot of the reviews also and was not sure but my doctor wanted me to give it a try so glad I did. I just wanted to say what works for one may not work for the other. Just don't give up. You'll find what works for you"

everyone is not the same (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been a T2 diabetic for 10 years. I started invokana 2 days ago and it has been absolutely horrible. I have never felt so bad in my life. I am unable to perform my job having to leave work early because of the feeling of just being extremely tired. I have been in the bed these last two days more than I would like. I have been urinating at every 15 to 20 minutes all day and night and have noticed a smell in my urine that wasn't there before. This medication needs to be pulled off of the market."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I was on invokamet for 6 weeks, then my insurance stopped paying for it. Then I was put on invokana and metformin. The invokamet worked to bring my fasting sugars down to 90, however invokana and metformin separately, I'm waking up to BS of 140 to 180. Yes, frequency in urination is extremely frustrating and I was so thirsty all of the time. I'm 32 years old, was on birth control, used condoms, spermicidal foam and now I'm pregnant. One of the side effects is "may increase chances of pregnancy", the other side effect is "may cause severe birth defects in fetuses". I took every precaution, except abstinence, to prevent this pregnancy. I'm currently off of the Invokana."

Bubblybutterflie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on 100mg Invokana (as well as glyburide, metformin, and Lantus) for about 6 months. That was, until yesterday. I took myself off the Invokana, as I can no longer tolerate the side effects. While I am used to putting up with moderate side effects if a drug is working well, the initial yeast infection followed by a constantly increasingly severe case of vulvovaginitis was enough for me. The itching and pain were so severe that I couldn't sleep. I informed my doctor of my decision today, and we are waiting to see whether/when my symptoms decrease. Considering my experience and the new black box warning on Invokana, I will never take it again."

Picky54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This drug should be taken off the market. If you haven't seen the commercials yet, it can cause loss of body parts. Sorry, amputation doesn't sound fun to me. I've been on it for 1 month. I have had a yeast infection for 2 weeks, if not longer. I've had so many different side effects from this pill, it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm not going to list them, it's such a long list. You have to wonder why the doctors prescribe this, oh that's right they get paid by the companies for pushing it. I'll stick to my regular metformin and not use a drug that kills me."

Jolynnze July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "While Invokana does control A1C, the damage it does to your body is horrible! Let alone I have to drink about a gallon of water a day, I can't stop peeing. I'm 55 and pee the bed every night. My kidney and liver numbers have been rapidly climbing ever since I started this drug. If you can avoid this drug, do so. If you can't, get plenty of depends (incontinence pants)... you're gonna need them!"

JahnK July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Hello, I thought since everyone else is sharing their comments on this I would also. I took Invokana for about a year. I had the yeast infections so bad that I was having two periods a month. I quit taking it in Oct of 2016, in Nov of 2016 I had severe pain. I went to my OB/GYN and I ended up having a hysterectomy in Jan of 2017, now I am dealing with high WBC. This was the worst drug I could of been on. I ruined my life in so many ways. Just wanted to let you know."

Denise F (Ohio) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabeties and was started on Invokana 100mg. Since just starting it I haven't really had any real reactions to it just yet. But I have found myself having to urinate much more often then normal. I have other medical issues and hope this medication won't affect those issues negatively."

Breee123 July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been using Invokana 100 mg from past two months. My blood sugar level are gone down to normal level. I lost my 10 pounds of weight. sometimes I feel dizziness and extremely tired. This is medication is not as effective as initial days. But still I would recommend this, as I have not faced any major side effects. 50% medicine cost payed by my insurance ,15$ from my pocket and rest payed by invokana saving card."

lingaswara (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on this medication for a little over 1 month. In the beginning the side effects took a while to get used too - water..water..water... I am still constantly thirsty. I was itchy in the beginning but it has gotten better. I have lost about 17 pounds and feel sooo much better!!!! I have to admit I read through the reviews before I even started the medication and was very hesitant - I am so glad that I gave it a try. This has been a life changer so far."

brandylaster76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This medication only lowered my blood sugar for the first week I was on it. After that it didn't seem to work much. It also caused severe dehydration symptoms including headaches, dizziness, rapid heartbeat and confusion. That was with drinking over 100 oz of water a day. It also made me extremely depressed."

JenniferMichalle (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Invokana has worked fabulous for me - I've been on it 10 months and it has lowered my A1C by 1.5 and have lost weight. For those of you having yeast infections -- Take an Iron Supplement. I began to get yeast infection -- upped my iron supplement and it went away and has stayed away. My doctor is now switching me from Invokana to something else due to a recent "warning" on kidney failure. It was enough to concern her -- even though I have no symptoms. I am reluctant to switch since the Invokana has worked so well. Just take the iron and it should level out and stop the yeast issues."

Rockne1 June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Invokana (canagliflozin) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Took Invokana about 9 months. Glucose numbers were great. Started getting horrible yeast infection. It would not go away even with prescription medication. The itching started vaginal and anus area. I was miserable. No type medication would eradicate the itching. Infection got so bad my good white blood count cells could not fight off the infection in my body. Started feeling weak, extremely thirsty, eating so much ice my ice machine could not keep up with me. Started coughing a lot, short of breath, anemic. body aches, dry hair and skin, plus I still had the yeast smell. Had blood test performed at local hospital. White count cells was 247 thousand, normal is 10 thousand. Diagnosis Cancer Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia, my blood got infected."

JSgausa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017