User Reviews for Irbesartan

Also known as: Avapro

Learn more about Irbesartan.

Diabetic Kidney Disease 1 reviews 13 medications

High Blood Pressure 40 reviews 263 medications

5.4
Summary of Irbesartan reviews 41 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Irbesartan

For High Blood Pressure: "When on original Avapro, 150 mgs. 6 years ago it worked fine. Since it went generic it just doesn't seem to be working anymore. Last month pharmacy changed manufacturer, Cambor, and now the pills give me upset stomach and shakeyness. Going to see dr. and maybe switch to something else as this is wasting my money and doing nothing!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've never felt ill but the doctor said I had high blood pressure and put me on 125g but a few weeks ago they upped my dosage to 300mg. Everything was fine but I've developed a dry cough, now get cramps, cannot sleep and today have come out in a raised itchy very red rash on my arms, legs, neck and chest. I'm going to the doctor as this doesn't seem right and I can't cope with all these side affects."

Sylviaphil June 18, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "At first I was relaxed on it now I'm hyper. I've only been on it for a few days. So the effects of this medicine are slow...how do you feel on it ?"

Georgiaray April 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Severe rash over most of my body (especially legs &arms). After biopsy (8 mths later) I stopped the med and the lesion stopped but not until the damage was done. I believed the doctor knew it was the medicine but would not acknowledge such. The first month of starting meds I got sick. The second month really sick. Though it was the flu with a bad constant cough. I thought both of my legs were going to be amputated. I thought I was going to die. Never in my life have I experienced some heartache and shame. Worst medicine I have every experienced. The Avapro (name brand) did not effect me at all, but the generic, absolutely terrible."

johnsonmm (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2016

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I am 63 years old, and inherited high blood pressure from my mother. I have been taking Avapro for about 15 years. Initially it was 150mg but recently as 2 years I have been on 300 mg. Initially after the increased dose I had such back muscle/bone pain, it felt as if an elephant had sat on me. My doctor changed my medication to a beta block but that did nothing to bring my blood pressure down. What annoys me after reading everyone's feedback, is I have been struggling with exhaustion for years, muscle pain, lightheadedness when standing, fainting even landed up fainting at work, with the ambulance being called. Not the doctor, nor the hospital mentioned side effects of this medication."

Jellybean48 (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have only been taking this drug for two weeks, but despite the fact that my BP is definitely down, I have been ultra lethargic, my eyes have become very sensitive to bright lights, my back is aching, my bursitis has flared up again, my tinnitus is really loud, and I have been very arthritic for the last week. Where is my quality of life?"

Ollie47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was under control with Benicar 20mg with no side effects. Irbesartan 300mg is not coming close to the good blood pressure from Benicar."

JimBP (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "300 mg a day kept my blood pressure down but gave me terrible acid reflux. I'd rather have the blood pressure thanks."

Boocuddles March 2, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Controls blood pressure great, but having side effects like, constipation, gout, leg cramps, sleepiness, and general fatigue."

Med Tech53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2014

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Feeling tired, dizzy, disoriented, off balance, leg pain, feel in a fog, headaches."

Turbo t June 21, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Low energy. Even after sleep still tired."

jane99999 May 19, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine."

Marbee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2014

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "It's good."

bogdancimpoae (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2014

For : "I have been on Irbesartan for 8 years and usually have no problems apart from the usual lightheadedness when getting up, I developed a cough 5 years ago which initially got me worried but now it comes and goes. It gets worse on the change of environments - cold-warm and vice versa or when I come in contact with dust, pollen or some perfumes. I get fed up with it but it keeps my Lupus at bay so am happy to put up with it."

Codmother (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2013

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I am a 33year old who has experienced high blood pressure ever since starting work after graduating from University. I also have a Thyroid condition and always just assumed this was the entire cause of my tingling in the hands & feet and constant issues with tiredness. The tingling sensation predates the Avapro, but the ongoing issue with tiredness could also be attributed to the Avapro. I have been on Avapro for the last ten years. I am off of Avapro now as my blood pressure is now normal."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2012

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have taken Avapro 300mg for over seven years for BP 140/98. Since I began my annual physical exams consistently show BP 170/110. Like many other reviews I initially found that Avapro 300mg, taken first thing in the morning, made me feel very tired and sleepy. As a policeman, I considered it dangerous to be on the job in this condition. The solution was to take it at night, just before bedtime, when I want to be sleepy. By morning I wake up feeling great. By the end of my stressful day I think my BP may be a little higher (understandably) but by then I am home to relax. I have, at times, within an hour of taking the dose, had "blind staggers" after I stand up quickly or dozed off without realizing I had, but no other side effects."

Scatrock June 13, 2012

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Took 150mg a day for several years. I lived with the dizziness when getting up or kneeling down. Also adversely affected my urination habits. Hard to go, weak stream etc. The doctor switched me to Benicar 20mg. Works better on lowering blood pressure, NO dizziness at all, and peeing is back to normal. Benicar is a MUCH MUCH better blood pressure medicine for me."

Anonymous May 30, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started using Ibersatan about 2 years ago, after I developed severe side effects on Perindopril. My blood pressure is well controlled and I thought the medicine was okay. About 2 months ago, I went for holidays and missed out on treatment for a month%u2019s but I felt much stronger contrary to the expected. On resuming treatment, I became very ill. I have been experiencing, hot flushes, cramps in my thighs, night mares, severe hot flushes and extreme weakness. At first I thought it was malaria, but the tests were all negative. I took anti-malarial medication just to be on the safe side. The symptoms have just intensified. I also wondered (still are) for a while whether it is early menopause. I have had several gout attacks while taking irbesartan."

olyd October 18, 2011

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was switched to Avapro from Micardis, two or three years ago, because of cumulative side effects from the latter, including recurring bronchitis and mineral imbalance. Apparently cumulative side effects have occurred again. I have now developed something like a chronic sinus infection, one doctor said my tonsils have grown back and are infected, and have suffered with recurring infections in the tear duct of my eye. I have noticed other changes too, though I'm not sure how many of these may be related to the medication, thus the "5" rating: I have gradually become an unmotivated and disinterested person, a great change for me. I hope the next hypertensive medication will have less side effects."

Cumulative October 14, 2011

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Controlled blood pressure just fine. But the dizziness upon getting up was pretty bad. Had to urinate many times a day and during the night as well. "

Anonymous August 15, 2011

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 75mg/day of Avapro for 2 months. It has been effective at lowering my blood pressure to 130/80 in the morning and 120/70 in the evening. The only side effect I have noticed is some mild, occasional heart burn. I had been on Atacand for several years before; I had to stop it because of dizziness. Then I was given Lisinopril; it made me cough and destroyed all sexual interest. I much prefer Avapro, it is more effective than the others and has milder side effects - for me."

Anonymous May 22, 2011

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "At 61, was initially on 150mg Avapro for about 5 years and blood pressure was up and down - decided to do more exercise and also started breaking the Avapro in half and found my blood pressure was excellent in the range of 128/83. Also the headaches and neck cracking diminished considerably. I think that sometimes less is more so to speak. You reduce the stress of the side effects and blood pressure lowers with a less dose."

Rankin March 18, 2011

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for Diabetic Kidney Disease: "I've been taking Avapro to prevent diabetic kidney disease, as I only have half of one kidney left after two bouts of kidney cancer. So far, so good. The Avapro has lowered my blood pressure also - sometimes goes a little too low, which is when I feel tired. Other than that I have no noticeable side effects. However, my doctor will have to find some other medication to protect my remaining partial kidney because my insurance company won't pay for Avapro anymore - even though my doctor says nothing else works as well. "

Karokat January 24, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "The best medicine on the market for high blood pressure."

Anonymous September 27, 2010

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Avapro for 5 months now at 300mg a day. I have had no side effects. But my blood pressure has now started to rise. The last two times it was at 177 over 128 and then 170 over 120. I now get very light headed when I stand up due to the high blood pressure. I don't think it is good for me. Overall it worked for a while, but is no loner working for me."

youhouse July 14, 2010