User Reviews for Irbesartan

Also known as: Avapro

Learn more about Irbesartan.

Diabetic Kidney Disease 1 reviews 13 medications

High Blood Pressure 46 reviews 264 medications

5.3
Summary of Irbesartan reviews 47 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Irbesartan

For High Blood Pressure: "Because of recent stress my Dr. Prescribed Irbesartin. In 3 months my pressure is normal no other symptoms from taking this drug. I am 81 years old "

Font (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "ARB's seem to be what I need and in the search for an affordable drug (no insurance) Ibersartan hit the jackpot. I take 150mg twice a day and my blood pressure is that of an 18 year old and I have not noticed any side effects that others mention. Great med and does a real good job. Glad I found a blood pressure med that I can take 2 pills a day instead of 6 or 8 with other classes of BP drugs."

DJRC March 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Avapro 300mg for only 13 days, and am having severe heart palpitations, to the point where I had to go to the hospital. I'm a power walker/jogger and I'm used to resting heart rates of 60-67. Now I'm getting resting heart rates of 90-100. The anxiety is so bad that I have to take sedatives just to get my pulse down to to acceptable levels, like 80. Having a pulse of 104 is very difficult and dangerous. I look forward to 9:00PM when I take my Tiazac, which thankfully lowers my heart beat. Tomorrow, I'm going on Vasotec (Enalapril). If this also causes me heart palpitations, then I will be definitely be going to the hospital for more heart checks. In October I passed all the heart tests: ECG, Echocardiogram, stress, mibi."

Aquadur5 January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Irbesartan is ok for my blood pressure however it has a lot of side effects, I have tinnitus,muscle and bone aches headaches ,sinus problems,indigestion,ankle swelling and foot pain,blurred vision,head chills,muscle spasms,leg swelling and pain,and a lot more. I've been on this medication for 20 years its getting worse. Any suggestions on what to take next for blood pressure."

Toob (taken for 10 years or more) October 16, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Yes, my BP went down a little but the side effects were so dreadful I had no choice but to give this drug up after 4 wks. Almost immediately I began to feel lethargic and within days, despite also making me feel bloated, I lost my appetite and the reflux set in big time. Eventually my urine turned a dark yellow, I often felt light-headed on getting up and my energy levels dropped so low that I could barely put one foot in front of the other on a trip to the city (I can normally walk/jog 3 miles for exercise). I came off them 3 days ago and my energy levels are nearly back to normal but, because my liver was having difficulty processing the drug, its bilirubin levels remain off the scale (nearly 10 times the norm) and I now have jaundice."

RoyR October 7, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "This drug was taken for twenty years. It caused severe peripheral neuropathy diagnosed for two years before my own research revealed that the peripheral neuropathy was caused by Avapro. Since stopping the drug periphrastic neuropathy in hands arms and face has dissipated but seems to be permanent in the feet."

Susiejoyk128 September 24, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "When on original Avapro, 150 mgs. 6 years ago it worked fine. Since it went generic it just doesn't seem to be working anymore. Last month pharmacy changed manufacturer, Cambor, and now the pills give me upset stomach and shakeyness. Going to see dr. and maybe switch to something else as this is wasting my money and doing nothing!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've never felt ill but the doctor said I had high blood pressure and put me on 125g but a few weeks ago they upped my dosage to 300mg. Everything was fine but I've developed a dry cough, now get cramps, cannot sleep and today have come out in a raised itchy very red rash on my arms, legs, neck and chest. I'm going to the doctor as this doesn't seem right and I can't cope with all these side affects."

Sylviaphil June 18, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "At first I was relaxed on it now I'm hyper. I've only been on it for a few days. So the effects of this medicine are slow...how do you feel on it ?"

Georgiaray April 8, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Severe rash over most of my body (especially legs &arms). After biopsy (8 mths later) I stopped the med and the lesion stopped but not until the damage was done. I believed the doctor knew it was the medicine but would not acknowledge such. The first month of starting meds I got sick. The second month really sick. Though it was the flu with a bad constant cough. I thought both of my legs were going to be amputated. I thought I was going to die. Never in my life have I experienced some heartache and shame. Worst medicine I have every experienced. The Avapro (name brand) did not effect me at all, but the generic, absolutely terrible."

johnsonmm (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I am 63 years old, and inherited high blood pressure from my mother. I have been taking Avapro for about 15 years. Initially it was 150mg but recently as 2 years I have been on 300 mg. Initially after the increased dose I had such back muscle/bone pain, it felt as if an elephant had sat on me. My doctor changed my medication to a beta block but that did nothing to bring my blood pressure down. What annoys me after reading everyone's feedback, is I have been struggling with exhaustion for years, muscle pain, lightheadedness when standing, fainting even landed up fainting at work, with the ambulance being called. Not the doctor, nor the hospital mentioned side effects of this medication."

Jellybean48 (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have only been taking this drug for two weeks, but despite the fact that my BP is definitely down, I have been ultra lethargic, my eyes have become very sensitive to bright lights, my back is aching, my bursitis has flared up again, my tinnitus is really loud, and I have been very arthritic for the last week. Where is my quality of life?"

Ollie47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2015

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was under control with Benicar 20mg with no side effects. Irbesartan 300mg is not coming close to the good blood pressure from Benicar."

JimBP (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "300 mg a day kept my blood pressure down but gave me terrible acid reflux. I'd rather have the blood pressure thanks."

Boocuddles March 2, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Controls blood pressure great, but having side effects like, constipation, gout, leg cramps, sleepiness, and general fatigue."

Med Tech53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Feeling tired, dizzy, disoriented, off balance, leg pain, feel in a fog, headaches."

Turbo t June 21, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Low energy. Even after sleep still tired."

jane99999 May 19, 2014

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine."

Marbee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "It's good."

bogdancimpoae (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2014

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For : "I have been on Irbesartan for 8 years and usually have no problems apart from the usual lightheadedness when getting up, I developed a cough 5 years ago which initially got me worried but now it comes and goes. It gets worse on the change of environments - cold-warm and vice versa or when I come in contact with dust, pollen or some perfumes. I get fed up with it but it keeps my Lupus at bay so am happy to put up with it."

Codmother (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2013

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I am a 33year old who has experienced high blood pressure ever since starting work after graduating from University. I also have a Thyroid condition and always just assumed this was the entire cause of my tingling in the hands & feet and constant issues with tiredness. The tingling sensation predates the Avapro, but the ongoing issue with tiredness could also be attributed to the Avapro. I have been on Avapro for the last ten years. I am off of Avapro now as my blood pressure is now normal."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2012

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have taken Avapro 300mg for over seven years for BP 140/98. Since I began my annual physical exams consistently show BP 170/110. Like many other reviews I initially found that Avapro 300mg, taken first thing in the morning, made me feel very tired and sleepy. As a policeman, I considered it dangerous to be on the job in this condition. The solution was to take it at night, just before bedtime, when I want to be sleepy. By morning I wake up feeling great. By the end of my stressful day I think my BP may be a little higher (understandably) but by then I am home to relax. I have, at times, within an hour of taking the dose, had "blind staggers" after I stand up quickly or dozed off without realizing I had, but no other side effects."

Scatrock June 13, 2012

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Took 150mg a day for several years. I lived with the dizziness when getting up or kneeling down. Also adversely affected my urination habits. Hard to go, weak stream etc. The doctor switched me to Benicar 20mg. Works better on lowering blood pressure, NO dizziness at all, and peeing is back to normal. Benicar is a MUCH MUCH better blood pressure medicine for me."

Anonymous May 30, 2012

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I started using Ibersatan about 2 years ago, after I developed severe side effects on Perindopril. My blood pressure is well controlled and I thought the medicine was okay. About 2 months ago, I went for holidays and missed out on treatment for a month%u2019s but I felt much stronger contrary to the expected. On resuming treatment, I became very ill. I have been experiencing, hot flushes, cramps in my thighs, night mares, severe hot flushes and extreme weakness. At first I thought it was malaria, but the tests were all negative. I took anti-malarial medication just to be on the safe side. The symptoms have just intensified. I also wondered (still are) for a while whether it is early menopause. I have had several gout attacks while taking irbesartan."

olyd October 18, 2011

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was switched to Avapro from Micardis, two or three years ago, because of cumulative side effects from the latter, including recurring bronchitis and mineral imbalance. Apparently cumulative side effects have occurred again. I have now developed something like a chronic sinus infection, one doctor said my tonsils have grown back and are infected, and have suffered with recurring infections in the tear duct of my eye. I have noticed other changes too, though I'm not sure how many of these may be related to the medication, thus the "5" rating: I have gradually become an unmotivated and disinterested person, a great change for me. I hope the next hypertensive medication will have less side effects."

Cumulative October 14, 2011