User Reviews for Irbesartan

Also known as: Avapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Irbesartan.

Diabetic Kidney Disease

1 review 13 medications
High Blood Pressure
5.1

Summary of Irbesartan reviews 7.0 53 reviews

Reviews for Irbesartan

For High Blood Pressure: "The first week I felt weak and had trouble with saying the right words in a sentence. I was dizzy and my tongue felt swollen, my lips felt swollen. I've been on this two weeks and now I'm a little dizzy and head feels bigger, and my eyes are not seeing clear as before. And I wish I could sleep all day, as it's hard to concentrate, and eyes feel half closed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I stopped taking irbesartan after 6 months due to muscle and joint pain. I stopped the meds 2 weeks ago and the pain is 90% gone. Why is this not listed in the pharmaceutical insert?"

Too Young to feel this awful (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 44 female with inherited HBP. Due to having gout, they put me on this in February 2017 and had just a tad of dizziness until August when they changed manufacturers. The correlation didn't happen until last night unfortunately so I have been dealing with this since late August. My old knee (ACL) injury swelled up to the point where I struggle to bend or straighten in completely, my hips ache, hamstrings feel tight, muscles in my armpits feel like I weight-lifted all day, shoulder joints ache so bad - I feel like I have the flu! It seems to be worse at night and I wake up whenever I move - taking Advil which helps a bit. Also experiencing some depression (due to the constant pain and affect on my life in general)."

Shenry11 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started getting leg cramps at night, I got lots of anxiety and couldn't go to sleep at night. I would get up to the bathroom 3 or 4 times during the night to urinate. Also had stiffness on my neck and hands. Have blurry vision ,swollen eyes and headaches. Have been taking irbesartan for 3 years. I'm going to stop for awhile to see if side effects go away."

Gaggie October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I just started on 150 mg. Avapro last week - Sept. 14, 2017. I can no longer drink coffee all day & night. I get a false angina pain, pinching. I was on Clonidine which liked but my hair started falling out in large handfuls. Eek! Also, about 30 minutes into Clonidine I had to take a nap. So far, this one is better but my coffee intake is going down to 2 cups and only in the mornings now. I'm a little dizzy for a couple of hours after I take Avapro but Clonidine was much worse, actually. I will see how it goes..."

emmatoad (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Irbesartan now for 3 years I am currently on 150/ day but since July 1st 2017 my blood pressure readings have been for eg. 157/100 , 149/100 , 149/97 so does any buddy think I should be on maybe 2 pills per day ? I have not changed any thing in my diet I am. It over weight have not been drinking & do not eat salt and I absolutely have never smoked in my life but I am 54 any ideas out there that could keep my blood pressure lower until Friday at 3:30 when I go to my doctors appointment ? This is rediculously high readings as I I do not want kidney damage or any other issues that Re caused by high blood pressure"

Douglas R from Calgary Alberta (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Because of recent stress my Dr. Prescribed Irbesartin. In 3 months my pressure is normal no other symptoms from taking this drug. I am 81 years old "

Font (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "ARB's seem to be what I need and in the search for an affordable drug (no insurance) Ibersartan hit the jackpot. I take 150mg twice a day and my blood pressure is that of an 18 year old and I have not noticed any side effects that others mention. Great med and does a real good job. Glad I found a blood pressure med that I can take 2 pills a day instead of 6 or 8 with other classes of BP drugs."

DJRC March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Avapro 300mg for only 13 days, and am having severe heart palpitations, to the point where I had to go to the hospital. I'm a power walker/jogger and I'm used to resting heart rates of 60-67. Now I'm getting resting heart rates of 90-100. The anxiety is so bad that I have to take sedatives just to get my pulse down to to acceptable levels, like 80. Having a pulse of 104 is very difficult and dangerous. I look forward to 9:00PM when I take my Tiazac, which thankfully lowers my heart beat. Tomorrow, I'm going on Vasotec (Enalapril). If this also causes me heart palpitations, then I will be definitely be going to the hospital for more heart checks. In October I passed all the heart tests: ECG, Echocardiogram, stress, mibi."

Aquadur5 January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Irbesartan is ok for my blood pressure however it has a lot of side effects, I have tinnitus,muscle and bone aches headaches ,sinus problems,indigestion,ankle swelling and foot pain,blurred vision,head chills,muscle spasms,leg swelling and pain,and a lot more. I've been on this medication for 20 years its getting worse. Any suggestions on what to take next for blood pressure."

Toob (taken for 10 years or more) October 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Yes, my BP went down a little but the side effects were so dreadful I had no choice but to give this drug up after 4 wks. Almost immediately I began to feel lethargic and within days, despite also making me feel bloated, I lost my appetite and the reflux set in big time. Eventually my urine turned a dark yellow, I often felt light-headed on getting up and my energy levels dropped so low that I could barely put one foot in front of the other on a trip to the city (I can normally walk/jog 3 miles for exercise). I came off them 3 days ago and my energy levels are nearly back to normal but, because my liver was having difficulty processing the drug, its bilirubin levels remain off the scale (nearly 10 times the norm) and I now have jaundice."

RoyR October 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This drug was taken for twenty years. It caused severe peripheral neuropathy diagnosed for two years before my own research revealed that the peripheral neuropathy was caused by Avapro. Since stopping the drug periphrastic neuropathy in hands arms and face has dissipated but seems to be permanent in the feet."

Susiejoyk128 September 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "When on original Avapro, 150 mgs. 6 years ago it worked fine. Since it went generic it just doesn't seem to be working anymore. Last month pharmacy changed manufacturer, Cambor, and now the pills give me upset stomach and shakeyness. Going to see dr. and maybe switch to something else as this is wasting my money and doing nothing!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've never felt ill but the doctor said I had high blood pressure and put me on 125g but a few weeks ago they upped my dosage to 300mg. Everything was fine but I've developed a dry cough, now get cramps, cannot sleep and today have come out in a raised itchy very red rash on my arms, legs, neck and chest. I'm going to the doctor as this doesn't seem right and I can't cope with all these side affects."

Sylviaphil June 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "At first I was relaxed on it now I'm hyper. I've only been on it for a few days. So the effects of this medicine are slow...how do you feel on it ?"

Georgiaray April 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Severe rash over most of my body (especially legs &arms). After biopsy (8 mths later) I stopped the med and the lesion stopped but not until the damage was done. I believed the doctor knew it was the medicine but would not acknowledge such. The first month of starting meds I got sick. The second month really sick. Though it was the flu with a bad constant cough. I thought both of my legs were going to be amputated. I thought I was going to die. Never in my life have I experienced some heartache and shame. Worst medicine I have every experienced. The Avapro (name brand) did not effect me at all, but the generic, absolutely terrible."

johnsonmm (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I am 63 years old, and inherited high blood pressure from my mother. I have been taking Avapro for about 15 years. Initially it was 150mg but recently as 2 years I have been on 300 mg. Initially after the increased dose I had such back muscle/bone pain, it felt as if an elephant had sat on me. My doctor changed my medication to a beta block but that did nothing to bring my blood pressure down. What annoys me after reading everyone's feedback, is I have been struggling with exhaustion for years, muscle pain, lightheadedness when standing, fainting even landed up fainting at work, with the ambulance being called. Not the doctor, nor the hospital mentioned side effects of this medication."

Jellybean48 (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have only been taking this drug for two weeks, but despite the fact that my BP is definitely down, I have been ultra lethargic, my eyes have become very sensitive to bright lights, my back is aching, my bursitis has flared up again, my tinnitus is really loud, and I have been very arthritic for the last week. Where is my quality of life?"

Ollie47 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure was under control with Benicar 20mg with no side effects. Irbesartan 300mg is not coming close to the good blood pressure from Benicar."

JimBP (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "300 mg a day kept my blood pressure down but gave me terrible acid reflux. I'd rather have the blood pressure thanks."

Boocuddles March 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Controls blood pressure great, but having side effects like, constipation, gout, leg cramps, sleepiness, and general fatigue."

Med Tech53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Feeling tired, dizzy, disoriented, off balance, leg pain, feel in a fog, headaches."

Turbo t June 21, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Extremely tired and sleepy all the time. Low energy. Even after sleep still tired."

jane99999 May 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine."

Marbee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avapro (irbesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "It's good."

bogdancimpoae (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2014