User Reviews for Irbesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Avapro

Irbesartan has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 75 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 21% of those users who reviewed Irbesartan reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Irbesartan Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Irbesartan

Mabel · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

“I was on low dose Avapro for 8 months. I developed muscle pain, joint stiffness and a swollen lower left leg. I started to wean off some of my medications to see what the culprit was but my BP went high. After an admission to hospital they commenced lisinopril and felt great until or the cough with severe choking episodes came on. So, not convinced that Avapro had caused the previous problem, the doctor recommenced but at double the dose. I now have urinary frequency, swelling of the lower legs, episodes of tachycardia and irregular rhythm, low back pain, tendinitis in the R hip, sore hands, redness of the face, insomnia, numb fingers, sore muscles and positional dizziness. BP is great but this is only after 3 weeks of treatment. Time to try another drug group.”

Sansan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2021

“I have been on ibesartan for 3 months, I have terrible numbness in hands, red cheeks, my is walking impaired, low back pain and pain in right shoulder. Sharp pains at times my bp will go from resting 98/68 to 155/85 in moments. Nothing controls my bp I am tempted to try herbs”

Elaine · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2020

“So far irbesartan seems to be doing a good job lowering my blood pressure, especially if my stress levels are low. The only thing I question is if it is making me wake up most mornings with tingling or slightly numb hands or fingers. Pins and needles feelings. As soon as I wake up (in the middle of the night or in the morning), that feeling is only momentary, then quickly goes away and is not present during the daytime or evening. My doctor says this hand/finger tingling is not related to irbesartan, but it started soon after beginning treatment with it. The frequency leads me to think it's not just sleeping the wrong way. I even saw "tingling fingers/hands" in a side effect list for this medication. It wouldn't be a no-go for me, but I just wish I knew if the morning hand tingling was or wasn't related to this medication.”

Bugs · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2019

“I plan to go off of Irbesartan as soon as possible after reading these reviews. I am a young 71 year old female and have been on 300 mg of Irbesartan for approximately 6 months after quitting Valsartan. So excited tonight after reading all of these reviews! I feel like maybe I can get to feeling well again! I have had so much stomach problems in the later years since starting Valsartan & even much worse after going on Irbesartan- (aching, bloating, burning & nausea.) I have had such horrible foot, hip & leg cramps also. I get only a few hours sleep each night. I use to be such a very energetic person and I have been so very tired since going on these medications, maybe even a little depressed. There’s so many things I want to get done and I have had such low energy, which is not like me. I have had problems driving at night from the horrible glare of headlights and night blindness. I am -however so very appreciative of these reviews! Thank you!!”

Gerry · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2019

“Been on Irbesartan for about 6 weeks and am experiencing fatigue and sleeping a lot during the day. Also experience some dizziness and feel like I am in a fog. I split the pill in 2 and take 75 mg per day. My numbers are better but it is not a miracle and they do fluctuate. I am at a crossroads as of what to do because my quality of life is not good. It has been several years since I tried a blood pressure med and the last time I went through several before giving up. Since I recently had an AFib episode I thought it was time to settle on one. I don’t think any will agree with me so don’t know what I am going to do.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 7, 2020

“Have been on this drug irbesartan for 1 1/2 years. Although it has reduced my blood pressure the side effects were intolerable. Shoulder tendinitis, severe joint and muscle pain, urination issues, weight gain, swelling in my mouth and fatigue. Am 70 years old but felt like I aged ten years. Stopped taking it 28 days ago. Taking Bystolic now and all of these side effects have gradually gone away. Irbesartan is awful would not recommend it for anyone.”

renu · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2019

Avapro (irbesartan): “I have been on Avapro for 5 years. At first it didn't control blood pressure. then doctor increased dosage to 300mg. I have noticed over years depleted potassium reading. My side effects are I urinate often, I now having pain in hands, constant tiredness and overall lack of energy and lack of interest in things. I am also feeling depression, irritable. I am going back to my doctor to take me off this drug. I feel like the side effects increase, more drugs in your body for longer periods of time of taking it.”

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2019

“I’ve been on inersartsn for 6 months now and I have found that it really doesn’t help my BP. My values are around 138/85/75. And that is not consistant, sometimes I take it and it could be 135/81/68, and five minutes later it 143:90/81. I have severe tinnitus, extremely tired, sore muscles and my joints are hurting especially my shoulder like I have bursitis, I have neck pain and a weird feeling I’m my throat all the time. I need to find something else, I can’t do it anymore!”

Squeaky · Taken for 10 years or more October 15, 2019

“Batch to batch and manufacturer to other manufacturer lead to huge variation in my blood pressure with 150 mg Irbesartan. I feel I have no control of the source and nobody to monitor these drug companies. Nobody will investigate or even talk about it !!!!”

Jellybean48 · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2016

Avapro (irbesartan): “I am 63 years old, and inherited high blood pressure from my mother. I have been taking Avapro for about 15 years. Initially it was 150mg but recently as 2 years I have been on 300 mg. Initially after the increased dose I had such back muscle/bone pain, it felt as if an elephant had sat on me. My doctor changed my medication to a beta block but that did nothing to bring my blood pressure down. What annoys me after reading everyone's feedback, is I have been struggling with exhaustion for years, muscle pain, lightheadedness when standing, fainting even landed up fainting at work, with the ambulance being called. Not the doctor, nor the hospital mentioned side effects of this medication.”

tiger · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“My cardiologist put me on Irbesartan it gave me anxiety and sweats, I could not calm down. Both the cardiologist and my doctor told me it wouldn't do that to me, took it for few months. My doctor put me on anxiety medicine, so I could calm down. I had to ask my cardiologist if I could try a different medicine to rule the Irbesartan out. He put me on Lisinopril and after taking the Lisinopril for a few days I wasn't having the anxiety and sweats. Both my Doctor and Cardiologist don't seem to care about what the Irbesartan did to me all they both said was well your feeling better now. The Irbesartan medicine was a nightmare for me.”

Lilah · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2020

Avapro (irbesartan): “Avapro is the ONLY blood pressure med that works very well for me. I've taken it for 17 years with great results and no side effects. Before that, I tried beta blockers,etc. ALL had terrible side effects. If you're having trouble finding the right med, just give Avapro a try. HOPEFULLY you will have the same results as I had!”

Mark · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2019

“I've been taking irbesartan (150 mg once per day) for about 1 year and have been pleased with the lowering of BP. Weight loss has also helped with the drop in BP. However, for the last 6 months I've noticed changes in my overall health which I'm thinking it's from the irbesartan. This includes joint, back and neck pain, two chest and sinus infections which required antibiotics, and increased tinnitus in my left ear. The neck pain has really increased over the last month, something I can attribute to any injury. My BP has been around 120/80 on this medicine, so very happy but the side effects are taking its toll. I plan on reducing the dose (75 mg per day) to see if side effects are reduced.”

DrewB · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2018

“I was given 150mgs of this medication for moderate high blood pressure. I’ve never had a negative reaction to any medication until this stuff. While I realize everyone is different, this stuff shouldn’t be allowed on the market. I only took it for 3 days but I can’t even begin to tell you how terrible it made me feel. Anxious, extremely tired - yet inability to sleep at all (up 100% of the night), brain fog, feeling like a zombie, and weird buzzing feeling. This is a terrible medication and I don’t suggest anyone take it.”

Charlie · Taken for 10 years or more January 7, 2020

Avapro (irbesartan): “I have had no problems with Avapro. I can't say I have any noticeable side effects at all. Everyone is different tho so its a case of try it and see what happens. I take 300mg a day and have been on it now for 20 years.”

bluegs August 6, 2019

“Irbesartan has been great, but I had to get the dose right. Half a 75 mg pill (37.5 mg) works well. At the prescribed dose I had unnecessary side effects. Now my resting BP is about 120/68. Without the drug it would be around 135/78. I found the correct dose through trial and error, logging BP readings twice a day. I wait 15 minutes after sitting to get resting BP. I was taking Prinston Irbesartan with good results until it was back ordered and Camber 75 mg Irbesartan was substituted. This did not work for me at all. It had no benefit for my blood pressure, which went up 10 to 20 points and was even elevated in the middle of the night. I tried doubling the dose to 75 mg but all I got was side effects. I found Lupin Irbesartan at a different pharmacy, and within 24 hours everything was back to normal. My pharmacist is mystified why the Camber product did not work, but that's my experience.”

Johnson · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2018

“I’ve been taken ibersartan for about 1 year. I went from taking 300mg to 150mg now to breaking the pill in half. My blood pressure is not consistent. I’m always tired, muscle aches, ankle swelling, headache, palpitations, dry cough periodically, blurred vision, night sweats, and uncontrollable anxiety. I wish I had read the comments prior to starting taking the pills.”

Skunk · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

“You should read an article in USA its in news . 3 days ago they had a recall on ibersartan found the same chemical ( N-nitrosodiethylamine) in that that was also in the Valsartan recall. So people check it out read it today. FDA needs to get on the ball and get with the program on this garbage. When getting prescription you need to question where the medication is made. Its poison. That's two medicines now from this country. Somebody needs to notify Congress. From this medicine in finally getting my feeling in my legs and walking again. It attacked my nervous system. Going on 3 months now. Irbersartan garbage medicine. Beware.”

Scatrock June 13, 2012

Avapro (irbesartan): “I have taken Avapro 300mg for over seven years for BP 140/98. Since I began my annual physical exams consistently show BP 170/110. Like many other reviews I initially found that Avapro 300mg, taken first thing in the morning, made me feel very tired and sleepy. As a policeman, I considered it dangerous to be on the job in this condition. The solution was to take it at night, just before bedtime, when I want to be sleepy. By morning I wake up feeling great. By the end of my stressful day I think my BP may be a little higher (understandably) but by then I am home to relax. I have, at times, within an hour of taking the dose, had "blind staggers" after I stand up quickly or dozed off without realizing I had, but no other side effects.”

Toob · Taken for 10 years or more October 16, 2016

“Irbesartan is ok for my blood pressure however it has a lot of side effects, I have tinnitus,muscle and bone aches headaches ,sinus problems,indigestion,ankle swelling and foot pain,blurred vision,head chills,muscle spasms,leg swelling and pain,and a lot more. I've been on this medication for 20 years its getting worse. Any suggestions on what to take next for blood pressure.”

Rankin March 18, 2011

Avapro (irbesartan): “At 61, was initially on 150mg Avapro for about 5 years and blood pressure was up and down - decided to do more exercise and also started breaking the Avapro in half and found my blood pressure was excellent in the range of 128/83. Also the headaches and neck cracking diminished considerably. I think that sometimes less is more so to speak. You reduce the stress of the side effects and blood pressure lowers with a less dose.”

Ollie47 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2015

“I have only been taking this drug for two weeks, but despite the fact that my BP is definitely down, I have been ultra lethargic, my eyes have become very sensitive to bright lights, my back is aching, my bursitis has flared up again, my tinnitus is really loud, and I have been very arthritic for the last week. Where is my quality of life?”

Ms B · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2019

Avapro (irbesartan): “I started taking this drug, Avapro, because the losartan I had been taking was being recalled by the FDA, I took 300mg once a day. I had been taking it for about 12 days before I began to show an allergic reaction to it. At first, there was a small blister on my ankle but by the third day this blister was spreading over my ankle and was hot and itchy. I immediately went to my PCP thinking it might be shingles. Since my PCP was not sure it wasn't shingles that's what I was treated for. However after a week of taking the prescribed drugs I had gotten much worse. The RASH was now moving up my legs and over my buttocks and it was so painful it was intolerable at times. To make a very long story short I ended up in the ER twice and finally was able to find relief after one of the TOP Dermatologists in the area was able to identify through a biopsy that Avapro was the culprit since it was the only thing that had changed in my routine before the RASH started.”

kibbett · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2018

“Was put on Valsartan because Lisinopril made me cough. Walmart decided that I should go on Irbesartan 300 after Valsartan was recalled. I took it for a week before I went back to taking what I had left of Valsartan. I liked Valsartan a lot, it made me feel good. Irbesartan made me feel so miserable! Irbesartan has to be the worse medicine ever!! It's supposed to lower my blood pressure. Well it really did the opposite!!! On Valsartan and Lisinopril I was normally 120 over 80, but on Irbesartan I went up to 166 over 100 and my pulse was 96. I might as well not to have taken it. Spent all day feeling like my heart was going to burst out of chest!!! Good grief!”

Marbee · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 24, 2014

Avapro (irbesartan): “Recently had to up my dose, and had to take at bedtime because of dizziness. I noticed I was not feeling well, and thought I was fighting off some bug, but it continued. I noticed that the nausea and headache occurred after taking my nighttime dose of Avapro. When I quit taking it, I felt fine.”

Tigress · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

“Horrible medication! Started out with a couple of hives and pain in left upper shoulder. Turned to flu-like symptoms. Fever, chills soooo bad that my teeth were chattering and had to wear a coat indoors! Then to add insult to injury, burning prickling pain in lower legs so bad it drove me crazy! Hurt soooo bad! Now the hives are widespread, neck and shoulders ache along with basically entire body feeling like it’s shutting down, but the stinging pain in legs lets me know real fast that’s not happening! OUCH! I stopped taking it! Hopefully I can get some resolution because my B/P is out of whack just like this medicine is! Never again!”

Anonymous May 30, 2012

Avapro (irbesartan): “Took 150mg a day for several years. I lived with the dizziness when getting up or kneeling down. Also adversely affected my urination habits. Hard to go, weak stream etc. The doctor switched me to Benicar 20mg. Works better on lowering blood pressure, NO dizziness at all, and peeing is back to normal. Benicar is a MUCH MUCH better blood pressure medicine for me.”

BeBob · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2018

“I've been on 150mg for about two months now, since valsartan was recalled. Immediately, I experienced a nasty metallic taste/smell in my mouth and sinuses. It is also in my excrement. It doesn't go away and it's very annoying and getting worse. I've also noticed increased irritability and quick to make an unwanted comment! Night sweats are common all of a sudden. My BP is good: 120's/80 but it was good before with the valsartan. I'm a 68 yr old Male in pretty good shape physically, not over weight, and very active. Gonna call my cardiologist after labor day. Not happy with this.”