User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 2 reviews 2 medications

8.5
Depression 172 reviews 79 medications

7.7
Major Depressive Disorder 33 reviews 46 medications

6.8
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 207 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "Initially this medicine seemed to work well for me and it made me feel good...so to speak. But all of a sudden , and I do believe it was Wellbutrin XL, I started tripping the f out....I had dreams that were almost real full of insane anxiety, like the inside of my body was shaking and i could feel my teeth make a noise bumping together super fast....I was having imaginations of people above me using dangerous weapons on me through the ceiling and I was not to move out of my bed like I was tied down there forever. I had the most insane trips ever...I had dreams where I had to act certain ways or I was to be punished, it was truly insane... one time I was in my room and I swore I heard rap music and gangsters outside and no one was outside."

Not Sureh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was 26 years old and taking Wellbutrin for about 5 months. Within those 5 months I became increasingly unmotivated, less energetic, and my depression worsened. I had terrible mood swings and was generally unpleasant to be around. My thoughts were not my own anymore, as I had horrific thoughts that were scary and confusing to me. Then came the night that I swallowed an entire prescription bottle of it. My thoughts were that either it would finally work and make me happy or it would just kill me so I wouldn't suffer anymore. I am obviously still here and I am so grateful for that! I stopped it and was put on Paxil. So much better for me! I'm a happy girl again!"

Sunnydazey (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2016

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day for 9 years, the brand only (I have done some personal research about brands versus generics and do not believe that generics are as good, effective, or reliable as brands). This medication saved my life, so I guess that I was lucky that it suited me. Within the first year I remember having a dry mouth, more energy, loss of appetite, and a weight loss. With time these side effects stopped. I have now no side effects, and what this medication clearly helped me with is to still feel myself and going through my emotions without falling into the hole of depression. So I feel functional, which was not the case before taking it (for example satying in bed because of feeling a deep sadness etc...)."

Edna323 July 22, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin XL has been great for me. I have been on it for a few months and have completely noticed the difference in my lifestyle and my libido. My doctor was giving me samples of the brand name but she ran out and my insurance wouldn't cover the brand. My Copay for the brand was $1300.00 I could NOT afford that so she reluctantly put me on the generic. It was HORRIBLE. Worst experience of my life. Worst side effects ever. Luckily I came across another Pharmacy and they fill your Wellbutrin brand name for $50 a month. It's been great! Back on Wellbutrin and feeling amazing!!"

eyedepressed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

For Depression "I started taking this during a time that I felt like I was at the end of my rope and frantic to find something to help me feel better (I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor). I started at 150mg XL (moved to 300 after 2 weeks) and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but I feel like it helped me wake up in the morning. It did slightly elevate my anxiety, but that subsided as well. I really recommend this medication! I only stopped because I found that it made my Vyvanse less effective (prescribed later on). I still am conflicted about, since this mediation was a GAME CHANGER"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Depression "It worked great at first; before taking wellbutrin I was depressed, had no energy and slept 12 hours a day, after taking wellbutrin I felt good, had plenty of motivation and slept a lot less. After about 3 weeks of taking it I was starting to sleep less and less. Eventually I went over 60 hours without sleep, it was awful! I might have been awake for longer if I didn't pick up a prescription for zopiclone. They only gave me 10 tablets so I hope I can get to sleep on my own by then."

gekosaurus July 6, 2016

For Depression "Absolutely recommended if your body does not like SSRIs. This medicine has helped me AMAZINGLY--before taking it, I was experiencing ridiculous mood swings going between anxious and having panic attacks to depressed and crying. This medicine has given me my life back. I am no longer trapped in the hole of depression and my anxiety, while still present, has gone from being this massive panic to contained, manageable, and approachable anxiety. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a stimulant, and because of this, it does make you feel stimulated. I've noticed some muscle weakness, but that's it. I switched to xl and I'm not sure how I like it yet--it seems like the releases are kind of random. Take early if you can so you can sleep! :)"

Anonymous June 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Brand name Wellbutrin XL 450, severe Gain weight, severe anger, severe stomach pain, severe constipation, severe vivid nightmares, Made me from social normal person, to an unreal horror human, scare to the world .... More than 90 days I can't even get out of my room....severe Panic attacks!!!"

Blewett (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2016

For Depression "I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg recently after being off of it for almost a year. During that year I found myself dropping my kids off at school and coming home and sleeping all day. I stopped taking it because my insurance would no longer cover the brand name. After being on and off of this drug for many years I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between generic and brand. When I took bupropion I was very short tempered, irritable and my hair started to fall out! This is not listed as a side effect and my doctor and pharmacist also assured me this is not a known side effect. After some research I found many women have hair loss on bupropion. For me its worth the $ to pay for brand name."

cat480 June 8, 2016

For Depression "I've been on generic Wellbutrin xl 300 for 12 years . I was trying to quit smoking & this was recommended as it was also being marketed as Zyban at the time. For me, it helped with cravings and depression and I've never picked up another cigarette. There are 2 things that bother me. I cannot sleep without also taking Trazodone. I just drift in and out of a light sleep otherwise. The other thing that may or may not be related to WB is that I have chronic constipation. I say may or may not because I'm scared to get off of WB to see if that's what's causing it. Different drugs work differently on different people of course but, like another person suggested, it also kept me from gaining weight until menopause. Hope this helps."

lillytree63 (taken for 10 years or more) June 5, 2016

For Depression "Before being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, I was on this antidepressant, along with Zoloft. It gave me manic symptoms, so beware for those who may have undiagnosed Bipolar. Plus, on 300 mg, I felt terrible, as if I was sped up. Physically, it made my heart race and caused agitation. Lowering the dose to 150 mg was better physically (before being diagnosed by Bipolar, but then I was taken off of it completely). Whether on 150mg or 300 mg, I noticed insomnia. I have also heard other people say this who aren't Bipolar, although I'm sure for some, this works wonders."

xRavenx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2016

For Depression "After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Depression "Today was the first day I have had to take this medicine, I have already experienced the dry mouth, & not really caring to eat. I am only 20 years old, I've made a lot of dramatic changes in my life in the past month, & I've dealt with depression for a while but was honestly scared to admit it. I have read very many reviews and I am nervous about it, but at the same time I'm pretty happy to see the positive reviews, I'm wanting to feel happy like I should, & do things I want to do without worrying about what thought will ruin my plans for that day. Prayers would be appreciated while I get use to being on this, & start learning if it's for me or not."

Hellokitty♡ April 30, 2016

For Depression "26 year old male. Been on it for 31 days. 1st week 150mg xl: high speedy energy. Mild insomnia (up till 3am most nights). Waking early and generally good mood. 2nd week 300mg xl. Very high constant anxiety. Emotional swings. Broke down in tears one day. 3rd week: Things were smoothing out. Still slightly anxious. Less emotional. 4th week: Feeling completely normal almost like I'm not on any medication. More level headed and better mood with less swings. Anxiety disappearing and confidence growing. No side effects. This is in combination with seeking help from a counselor, and confiding with a close friend of mine about how depressed I have been over the years. I am happy I took it. It has got me back on my feet and allowed me to seek help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Depression "It takes about 2 weeks to feel Wellbutrin kick in and about a month for it to be full effect. I am on 300 mg a day and take it in the morning only. If you take it too late it will keep you awake. I am on other med for Bipolar that cause weight gain, but this med seems to be the opposite and has actually helped me lose weight. Sometimes the med "runs out" in the afternoon and you can kind of feel the let down. It works great for depression and would be good if used by itself for weight loss. Would recommend using it, but you have to be patient with it."

cash58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

For Depression "I was put on this after attempting suicide and being diagnosed with depression, this medication definitely made me stable but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best one for me. There was still many occasions that I would think about cutting and suicide, although I never took it upon myself to attempt again, I did cut multiple times while on this medication. It worked best for me when it was paired with Zoloft or Prozac."

Erin Lolos March 31, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Worse medication every. Dry mouth,headaches,nauseous, rashes on the skin.. I'm still dealing with the rashes on my skin,they come and go...."

Hey gurl (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 mg XL for over 10 years after a major depression. It was very effective at stabilizing my mood. It also helps with my mental concentration and focus. I tried the generic which didn't seem to work as well. I am under extreme stress with a challenging job and s difficult relationship (separated now) because of my partners alcohol abuse. I was very fearful of another episode but so far have managed to remain stable. I would be lost without it."

Skinker (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2016

For Depression "Just switched over to Wellbutrin and so far, so good. I had been on Zoloft for a year, following a diagnosis of depression. Zoloft was just awful for me. The entire time I was on it, I battled chronic fatigue, no libido whatsoever, some memory loss, nerve problems, vertigo...you name it. And on top of all of that I completely stopped working out and put on 30lbs in 10 months. Feel like I am back on the road to being me on Wellbutrin. 150mg XL seems to work for me. Thank God- I was prepared to swear off any and all antidepressants if this didn't work. Also, I haven't drank alcohol for going on 10 years, so if you're sober that eliminates one of the big drawbacks for a lot of people."

DenverGuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking this medication since August 2015, and it has been the best one for me yet. I started with Celexa then went to Zoloft, and Zoloft worked for a bit but once things began to get difficult again I had to switch to another one, which was Wellburtin. It helped with some minor ADD problems, and overall my energy and positivity went up. I also began going to therapy again, and I 100% recommend that you do go to therapy in conjunction with antidepressants. Understand that if you don't like your therapist go to another one. You have to trust them and be able to open up to them to allow them to help. Medication only lifts the fog from your mind, but therapy is what allows you to move on with your life and not feel like a zombie."

Rachram711 February 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "For the past five years I have been battling depression. I feel extremely fatigued and unmotivated with thoughts of wanting to be dead. Life is totally miserable most times. I went from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin and after a few weeks I started to feel alive again. After about a year on it now I am back to my old depressive ways and my doctor is reluctant to start me on something new. So right now I am miserable again and waiting for my doctor to try something different. I wish all the best to everyone out there fighting this terrible disease!"

rr828313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2016

For Depression "I have anxiety and depression. I tried SSRIs and they just masked the depression and caused sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL helped me feel much better and I didn't have negative sexual side effects. Best sex I've ever had on Wellbutrin XL. Now with the future I think about, feel optimistic about and am planning for it . I don't have anxiety like I had. I am more philosophical, "Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm motivated to accomplish things. I wish I had found this med years ago."

Optimistic Very February 17, 2016

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "So, I'm 18 and I was prescribed this medication about a year ago, but it was the generic brand of Wellbutrion 100 mg. Now I am on Wellbutrin 150 mg. Ever since I have been on this medication, I have become so irritable with everything. I'm not sure why. But it seems like every little thing sets me off and I can't stand anyone. It's to the point that I'm starting to get I'm trouble with my parents, my boss at work, and even sometimes at school... I get so aggravated with everyone and everything. It has caused me very bad anxiety. I have an appointment scheduled with my psychiatrist in 3 days and I am going to be lowered off of this medication. It has been the worst experience with medications I've had. It's made me miserable!"

17 girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

For Depression "I read a lot of people saying that it's not working all that well for them, although I see one point in common here, it's only been 2 weeks. On some people it takes a little longer. I would say at least 3 to 4 weeks to get the full effect. Sometime you have to take a higher dosage. I'm at 200 mg now, and I see a difference. Talk to your doctor is 150 mg is not working for you.At the same time I have to admit, that at the beginning it's really hard regardless...so give time. Good luck everyone."

CLO2016 February 9, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "This has been a life saver! Totally changed my life. I have tried SSRI many kinds to deal with my MDD with horrible side effects/ only slight headaches with wellbutrin;) I am very pleased with the results. It's been almost 2 months no sludge on the brain!!! THANK YOU!! I am GRATEFUL!!"

Impressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016