User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Wellbutrin XL has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 368 ratings on Drugs.com. 65% of those users who reviewed Wellbutrin XL reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Seasonal Affective Disorder   8.0
Depression   7.4
Major Depressive Disorder   6.9
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.3 368 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Colorful Colorado February 17, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’m on day 3 of Wellbutrin XL 150mg prescribed for ADHD. I was really nervous to start it because I don’t take any medications and live a very natural lifestyle. And I was worried about side effects. I had a very mild hint of a headache on day one( I also didn’t drink much water that day) and I feel that my head rage during exercise is a bit more excitable and fast but my resting heart rate remains 58-62. I’ll get my blood pressure checked later today. I never have much of an appetite so that hasn’t changed. I’m more focused, my intrusive rapid random thoughts seem to be getting caught by my internal filter instead of me just saying them, I’m more at ease, not as anxious or irritable, I’m able to slow down to go fast, feel happier, and just overall like I’m crushing life (no not in a manic way) I take it at 7-8am and find that I am more awake in the daytime and into the evening. I’ve been using a CBD gummy to help me sleep.”

asapfirth · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I’ve been taking this for a month now. Started with 150mg, all it did was make me super tired. Didn’t do anything for me besides gave me tremors and muscle twitches. I feel like I’m gonna burst into tears 24/7 but I can’t even cry. Did nothing for my energy or ADHD either. I’ve been upped to 300mg now and it’s only gotten worse. Hazy, tired, can’t cry, twitching. I don’t know if it’s worth waiting out to see if it gets better because my body isn’t reacting how it’s supposed to be. This was supposed to give me energy but it just makes me feel so run down.”

NH February 17, 2021

For Depression: “I’ve been on Wellbutrin XL for about 5 months. I started at 150 mg SR. The first few days I noticed a big increase in anxiety but only twice it was intense enough that I couldn’t function. After a few weeks and a follow up with my GP, we switched to 150 XL and it helped as it’s a slower release. The positive side effects definitely outnumbered the negative. I almost immediately felt more energy and couldn’t stay in bed all day if I’d wanted to (this had been an issue for me), I had more motivation and a bit more focus. I’d been on Cipralex for years previously and found it took the edge off my irritability and managing mood swings but wasn’t a significant change. My GP and I were drawn to the weight loss side effect as I’ve put on 60 pounds over 8 years and two pregnancies. I did not see any difference in weight even with an increase in energy. All in all I like Wellbutrin and it has more pros than cons.”

Jaydog · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Wellbutrin 300XL for about 5 days. I never really felt like it made a huge difference for me. It didn’t really affect my depression because my depression stems more from my anxiety. I still decide to take it cause maybe it just works well enough idk. Well for the last four days I have had extreme itching from my ankles to my scalp. Then they would turn into hives. Not only that but all my joints have become inflamed and I have to bumps on my heels which makes it really hard to walk. It has been the worst four days of my life. I’ve tried every type of itch cream and home remedies with little to no success. It started the night I had a 2 beers. Idk if it is that or if it’s just from medication. Regardless, going to doctor tomorrow in hopes of getting steroids to help my body.”

gmr · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

For Depression: “I've been taking 150mg Wellbutrin for almost 5 months and I love it. I have persistent depressive disorder and I feel that this has helped me get out of bed and feel more motivated to socialize, workout, and do work. I do feel that it worked best the first 2-3 months I took it, and will likely be increasing my dosage soon.”

MJ February 6, 2021

For Depression: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar II and C-PTSD in 2015. I tried a handful of different medications, but I was also dependent on alcohol. I stopped drinking August 2020 and soon after went med-free (supervised) to see where I was at. What appeared to come about was depression mostly. When I started 150mg buproprion HCL XL, within 48 hrs I felt more energy, more activated emotions, less fog. It caused me to be more agitated and angry at first, but I knew it was because I was coming from complete numbness to actually having some feelings. I am now a month in and I feel happy about where I am with my mood. I say definitely give it a chance, especially if you are not a fan of SSRIs. Give it a few weeks and log your feelings. Being on this is far better than where I was in my depression. I wanted to share my experience and feelings because it has given me some hope and I want to share that with others.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2021

For Depression: “I've tried almost every other selective reuptake Inhibitor and a few different tricyclic antidepressants for moderate depression and severe anxiety. This Wellbutrin XL is the first one that hasn't increased my anxiety and has actually helped. Currently on 450mg extended release.”

Yamz · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2021

For Depression: “This medication is awesome! I am Bipolar 1 and it works nicely with the Lamictal that I also take. The dose is not too high though because my doctor said I have to be careful with any type of antidepressant that I take so it doesn’t cause me to get too “high”! I found a nice balance! I did not get any side effects with this medication. It is nice to feel/ have regular emotions now.....”

Mrsimjo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

“Broke my back in 2010 and have back pain from the fusion L4,L5,S1. I’ve been on every narcotic you can name. I had almost 100% pain relief with the very first Wellbutrin XL pill. I tried the generic form and my pain was back in 2 days. This drug changed my life overnight and I’m back to a normal life. P.S. Medicare does not pay for this (brand), so I get it from a Canadian pharmacy for $40.00 a month instead of $1975.00 for 30 days in the US.”

Clampy January 6, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Wellbutrin for almost 4 weeks. I was advised from my therapist and OBGYN to take this for my sex drive and overall happiness. First 2 weeks- I had tons of side affects. Head aches, dry mouth, dizzy, stomach ache, lack of appetite and insomnia. The lack of appetite did help me lose 5 lbs the first week, but I felt super sick anytime I didn't eat and had to force food down to feel better. I may have had a little more energy though. Third week- started to feel better! Side affects lessoned and I had a sex drive for two days. Fourth week- feel terrible again. I have most of the side affects back except loss of appetite and insomnia. I am sleeping fine and probably gained all my weight back. And no sex drive. I am on my period so I don't know if that is having an affect or not. I just don't know if I should keep at it or give up...”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking bupropion 150xl for 10 days with some side effects, slight headache, poor sleep and a weird feeling. I upped my dose on day 11 to 300xl and been in that for the last 2 days. I am pretty tired and feel slightly anxious plus I have had minimal appetite since I started. I’m thinking about going back to 150xl, as I was better able to handle it. Overall I haven’t noticed any changes yet except the side effects from the medicine.”

John · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Seven years ago the anti-depressant I was on stopped working, and I crashed into horrible major depressive disorder. My new doctor, guessing (wrong) that I had Bipolar Depression (I didn't), took me off anti-depressants and put me on Latuda, an "atypical anti-psychotic" often used to control Bipolar Depression. Not only didn't help the depression but also made me pace uncontrollable. I switched doctors, and the new one put me on Wellbutrin XL (long-acting). Eventually, my depression cleared, and I've been relatively depression-free (there are bad patches with any drug) for the past 7 years. I've had no noticeable side-effects, and I take it with first thing in the morning breakfast so it doesn't interfere with my sleep. I highly recommend it. (Full disclosure: I also take Imipramine, an old "tricyclic" anti-depressant, a couple of hours before bedtime. Helps me sleep well but dry-mouth side effect is annoying & bad for my teeth.)”

youngboy00 November 28, 2020

For Depression: “I've bee on Wellbutrin XL for 3 weeks and feel no difference with depression. I have increased anxiety but still tired and groggy. I take it with Zoloft and neither have done anything so idk what I'll do next”

Kikit · Taken for 10 years or more November 8, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've lived through alot of trauma, I have been on Wellbutrin XL for 10 years and recently stopped for 10 months. Today is my 6th day back on it and I am feeling less anxious about my circumstances in life right now. It has helped me daily get out of bed, control outburst, and overall keep moving forward. I would say I am lucky to have this medication.”

Max · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2020

For Depression: “Real and honest review. I’m a 52 yo male living in Canada. I’ve been suffering from Anxiety/ADD/Depression forever. I resisted and procrastinated to take meds again for “years” because of not so great experiences with SSRI’s but also because I read way too much online which scared me off. So I suffered for years until one really bad episode that forced me to take action. I asked my doc to give me Wellbutrin (Bupropion) since it had the least negative reviews (from my years of online self-help nonsense). Started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for 3 weeks then 300 mg plus 10mg of Citalopram ever since . It’s been LIFE CHANGING really! It’s crazy how I can finally function like a normal human being. I swore to myself that I would write a review here if I found the remedy to my suffering, so here it is. Wellbutrin XL 300mg+10mg of Citalopram has worked “wonders” for me. No more Anxiety, very low ADD and NO MORE depression I really hope this helps a few of you out there.”

Alexa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

For Depression: “After taking Lexapro, I gained weight. Did not take anything for more than a year until the depression relapse began. The doctor prescribed Wellbutrin. The first 3 weeks there were bouts of anger. Waited for it to pass. Then began daily tears, and dark thoughts. The condition is worse than before taking the medicine. I gave up and after a few days - another person. I do not recommend it. It was a terrible experience for me.”

AJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2020

For Depression: “I took Wellbutrin XL for 6 months, the first 3 months my dose was 150mg, the last 3 months dose was 300mg. I was taking it for anxiety and depression. Took a little getting used to, but nothing terrible. In the 6 months I went from 150 lbs to 128 lbs (part of it was appetite-suppressant, part was that I had the energy to go out and do things/exercise). When I was at 150mg I had more anxiety attacks, but when I went to 300mg I felt like a normal human being (still having panic attacks, but they were due to being in a bad relationship). I loved this medication, only got off because I am now pregnant and didn’t want to worry about whether it was safe for the baby or not. Will be going back on once my baby is born.”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

For Depression: “I started wellbutrin 150 mg after being taken off Lexapro 10mg for GAD/OCD. The Wellbutrin's side effects started as soon as I started taking it, bouts of explainable crying and outbursts. I began to withdraw from family (my 5 year old son) and started with increased suicidal thoughts. HORRIBLE med for me but had good reactions for others. I quit cold turkey after three weeks and no side effects to that decision. I started prozac after about giving myself two weeks to reset from that. I also started therapy (CBT/DBT) once a week. I'm hoping to get off meds entirely.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

For Anxiety: “I started taking bupropion 150xl this month. I was shocked that it helped with my anxiety and made me relaxed and not on edge anymore.”

persistent ringing · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Wellbutrin XL Medication was amazing! Improved my mood, energy, productivity and relationships. Only downside is I developed moderate/severe tinnitus so I had to come off. Really disappointed.”

Lucy · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 21, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Wellbutrin has done wonders for me. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder in high school and was on a few different meds before being put on this one in college. It's helped me so much--if I ever feel myself getting into a "slump," I'm able to fight it off so much easier since starting this med.”

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I did not have a great experience with this medication overall. It ended up being the cause of my vivid dreams, not being able to tell what was reality or not. I was feeling more physically and emotionally drained. It might help some, it was just most definitely not for me.”

Sharon · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 26, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 XL for about 3 yrs. It helps my depression a lot. I am able to function daily and not overreact. Started at 150mg and went to 300mg. Before Wellbutrin , I was very depressed, and working , parenting, and everything was causing me grief, sadness, and fear. I was overweight and I overreacted to small things. I felt hopeless and on edge everyday. I have a low functioning thyroid as well that may have been making my depression worse. So now I am on track. It took me about 2 weeks to feel a difference. Now I do have several of the side effects. I lost about 30 lbs. I have a low appetite, I have ringing in my right ear. I also have dry mouth, anxiety, trouble sleeping, and blurred vision. I can handles the side effects but not the depression. So I have stayed on the medicine. Also I suddenly stopped taking the meds one time and it caused suicidal thoughts and flu like symptoms.”

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “This medication saved my life! I tried every different antidepressant. I was at my lowest and taking 2 antidepressants at the time. I never thought of suicide till then. I had nothing left, no hope, no joy. My Dr. prescribed 300mg Wellbutrin XL once a day and I kid you not, I WOKE UP A DIFFERENT PERSON! No depression, great mood, no anxiety (like some say), pleasure and joy back, no racing thoughts, no fatigue, no restlessness. I'm me again!”

Lexie April 24, 2020

“Started taking 150mg of Wellbutrin so far no side effects . Dr switched me to this medication from Lexapro. After 2 years . Starting the 300 today of Wellbutrin. The only side effects so far are headaches and dizziness. Better then the other meds I have tried for side effects . Also helping with my appetite that’s why I asked to raise it lol .”