User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder
8.6

Depression
7.7

Major Depressive Disorder
6.8

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.7 250 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "I was on Cipralex for 15 years and I got fed up with the reduced erections and orgasms. My endocrinologist recommended trying an SNRI (Wellbutrin 300 mg) and it helped a bit with the bad side effects of cipralex but I found that I was sad often and I’d cry easily. I increased the dosage to 450mg and the sadness went away almost instantly. After a few weeks at 450 mg, I started to feel more and more anxious. I had read that the dosage shouldn’t go beyond 450 so I didn’t want to risk an increase so I stopped taking them completely and the anxiety has almost disappeared. (Almost means that its 90% better) I’ve been off of Wellbutrin for almost a week and I haven’t had any side effects yet."

OttawaGuyCanada November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Took 150 mg for 4 days and suddenly stating feeling weakness, aches, pains, then sore throat accompanied by fever called my Dr she made me stop taking it and was given toradol to break fever of 102.8 and steroids and fluids, went from 216 to 213 pounds in 4 days. Had my heart rate and blood pressure up also. This drug may be for others but definitely not me, too many adverse effects I've tried zoloft, Prozac, and lexapro, anti depressents are not for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took wellbutrin to help with motivation and energy, which were major sources of my depression. The first two weeks were absolutely terrible. The only side effect I had was night sweating, and it was so bad that I got no sleep every night. I would fall asleep and wake up covered in so much sweat there would be pools of water on my chest. Had to wear clothes from head to toe and sleep on a towel. After that it worked fine. However, it didn't really help with the motivation. It gave me more energy, but didn't allow me to use it for anything. That ended up increasing my anxiety. However during this period I did not experience a single side effect other than occasional chest pain which was probably from the anxiety/stress anyways."

Kerma September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was started on 75mg at first and for 2 weeks I had the worst side effects. I literally thought I was going insane. The doctor told me it was normal and ride it out another week. So I did and it passed. They moved me to 150mg XL and it worked wonderful for years. A few years in I had to go up to 300 XL but I was still panic free and depression free. Until recently when it stopped working and I had Prozac added to the mix. I would recommend welbutrin XL to people. Just know you can push through those awful side effects for a few weeks to feel better."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I started taking Wellbutrin XL August of 2016. After starting this drug, I had the motivation and desire to go out and change my life! As a man, this drug drastically increased my sex drive! Which was a huge relief! That first day and all that night all I could dream about was sex - Everything was much "bigger" too. I think because Wellbutrin increased my blood flow and heart rate. This went on for about two weeks until everything levelled out. However, my sex drive still remained more elevated. The only negative side effects I had were extreme migraines those same two weeks. I think I also lost a lot of weight but I'm not sure how much. I was the skinniest I had ever been at that time."

Lukas_with_a_k (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had to stop the drug after 5 doses as it gave me tinnitus. I was not prepared to possibly risk hearing damage."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "So I was on Lexapro 20mg for 3 months and it helped somewhat with my very SEVERE depression that I was suffering from with severe anxiety, It was HELL! So my next appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed bupropionXL and she told me to add it to my lexapro and too take both together, but as soon as I started too take them both I got very emotionally sad and numb, so my sister told me to stop taking the lexapro to give the bupropion a chance to work on its own and that has helped so much because now I feel a lot better then before and I'm only taking 150mg XL. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone."

James1738 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking this medication for under 6months now and I have gained 10lbs while taking this drug. I don't feel like I have increased energy than before like some other people described. I feel more irritable & anxious at times, still can't sleep at night. I get the dry mouth side effects and occasional constipation. I'm taking 300mg XL once a day. I am getting more depressed with gaining weight on this drug! I was taking Lexapro before & didn't find it help me feeling less depressed & experience alot of nightmare or weird dreams while taking Lexapro!"

Cheshyrecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for over 3 years. The reason for my review is recently I've been feeling more "down" lately and wondering whether this drug has run its course with me. Before Wellbutrin I was taking Effexor and it made me feel fantastic. I stopped Effexor because the longer I took it the more side effects it had. If I didn't take Effexor at the same time each day or god forbid- forget it, I would be dizzy and sweating. I like Wellbutrin because I don't feel any side effects. No weight gain, no sexual disfunction. I would like to find another drug for depression that works well and has little side effects. Any suggestions?"

Jube jube August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on medicine 150 for less than a week. I feel a little high, anxious, nervousness. But that is a relief compared to the last year sleeping upwards of 20 hours a day with no will to live. I took 300 mg. 10 years ago and lost 35 lbs within months. Already 4 days in I'm down 3 lbs quit smoking and keep trying to nap because of habit but can't sleep my life away. Thank god. I feel a little manic at times but remember this from before it will wear off. I already got up last 2 days and exercised haven't done that in 3 years. I'll report feeling in few months once I'm up to 300mg and stable. 1st day in 3 years where I'm not feeling dread."

AngeLuvsU (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have had depression for over 15 years. Started because I was in a bad marriage. Then with my divorce and loosing my job after 25 years my depression has just sky rocketed. I am seeing a psychiatrist and she has had to increase my Wellbutrin to 400mg a day and I have noticed a big difference. The only concern they have with giving me that much is the seizures side affects are much higher. But I'm being monitored and been taking them for a month and so far the only side affects I notice is frequent need to urinate, Confusion, headache, skin rash, hives, or itching, dry mouth and honestly I can live with those! I get suicidal thoughts when I'm not on them and have tempted suicide a few times."

MariaMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Been on it for one week. 150XL dry mouth. Lost voice. Insomnia. But I was up and Adam chipper and slaying at work!!!! Like being on speed!!!! Went down to 75mg to try and see if helped. ...Constant muscle spasms and a feeling of hypertension in my arms. Heart rate seems higher. Just feel not worth it. Plus did u see the withdraw experiences? Atrocious. Getting off before it's too late. Don't need high blood pressure this young."

Periwinkles (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Was on 150mg for three weeks then went up to 300mg for a week. Had to stop taking it. Had a weird experience where I was standing beside a running shower; just standing there in a daze. Not for like 10 seconds, but standing there, standing there... That was the last time I took them, now on Lexapro."

TriedWell (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am currently using wellbutrin xl (150mg) a day as an add on to trintellix. I have been on every medication under the sun & always seem to have negative side effects. My biggest struggle with my depression is fatigue & no energy. I've only been on wellbutrin 5 days & I feel a tremendous difference. I am awake in the morning & don't feel like I am going to fall asleep at random times during the day. I also haven't taken a nap in 5 days either which is huge considering I always nap. I am a little anxious sometimes & am also dealing with sleeping issues so I may talk to my Dr about switching to the SR. I am also dealing with a lot of muscle spams but this always happens when I adjust a dose or try a new medication. Wish I tried this sooner!"

Lo Marie x June 12, 2017

For Depression "Constipation"

Anonymous May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Suffered three mental breakdowns, hospitalised three times & off work each time four months each. I am on Wellbutrin XL 300mg once daily in a.m. and find I can function fully during each day; also take 'Adco-Alzam' 0.5mg twice daily to suppress panic attacks. Been on this for >8 years; and have got my confidence back!! Symptoms UNDER CONTROL!!! At last confidence and quality of life, not going off these again.... NEVER!"

Cocoo-Land (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication is very activating without making me anxious. I take it for depression, but I also have general anxiety disorder, and OCD. I was a little worried about taking it at first because one of the side effects indicated that it could make anxiety worse, but I didn't have that problem at all. It definitely helps with depression and lifting my mood. It's not a "happy pill," but it is good with getting and keeping you going and not letting depression ruin you and keep you from doing what needs to be done and living your life."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I live with depression and anxiety. Generic Wellbutrin has given me none of the sexual side effects I experienced with SSRIs like Zoloft. Seems to help me get out of the house. I'm on 150mg every morning and I'm trying 200mg soon. 300mg was too much for me."

Mandy87 May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "MY person experience may differ for others, but BEST combo for me so far, has included Wellbutin XL 300mg. Many years receiving mental health services (27 years). Had to stop SSRI's. Wellbutrin however helped increase my motivation, had none. Was so bad I laid in bed months from severe depression, so long immobile that both legs filled with blood clots and near death!! Survived on blood thinners and hospital over a week. With Wellbutrin had no weight gain, lost the 50lb other meds helped put on me! Lower cholest., quit smoking as a nice bonus and no sexual issues, in fact helped imho."

HorrorActress1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on the 75mg SR formulation for a week before taking two a day. Went to 150 XL the next month and 300 XL after that. Been on it for about 3 months now. I love this medication. It's changed my life. I don't feel depressed very often anymore and combined with therapy, my life is substantially better. No side effects at all! Much better than Lexapro, which gave me bad sexual side effects."

KMDM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication."

Helijen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all."

Alex4343 February 26, 2017