User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder
8.6

Depression
7.7

Major Depressive Disorder
6.9

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.7 259 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "I started taking this when I felt like I was at the end of my rope and was frantic to find something to help me feel better. I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor. I started at 150mg XL and moved to 300 after 2 weeks. I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but still I feel like it helps me wake up in the morning. It slightly elevated my anxiety at first, but that subsided as well. This medication worked really well for me."

stephlyudmila January 26, 2018

For Depression "Though I was having a heart attack. Chest pain lightly started 2 weeks in. Sunday, pretty good pain but I went to work 1/2 day. Came home and laid down. Pretty bad pain, got up and walked it off. 2 am the pain woke me up and thinking it was a heart attack, I grabbed aspirin. Pain worsened and radiated whole chest. Sweating and nausea. All the signs of a heart attack. EMS transported waited 10 hours for blood enzyme test, it was normal. I had read that chest pain was a side effect. I asked the ER nurse and apparently she knew it was pretty common."

Cindy Badder January 24, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have no doubt that this has helped many people...but for me, this was absolute poison. I'd gone off Lexamil and switched to Wellbutrin 300mg for MDD. My moods are absolutely all over the place. I'll randomly get sad for absolutely no reason and for a logical person, this gets frustrating. Not to mention the strain that most of my relationships have been under because of my now explosive temper. I don't feel like the person that I know that I am."

Lilith-Sama (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

For Depression "I just got a script for WellbutrinXL150mg. I'm a 31 yr old wife & mother of 4, always worked. I was in and out of the hospital since 2007 with widespread pain in my back and neck and head. Severe migraines everyday. I was pushed aside saying I'm fine. Kept going back. Finally 2016 diagnosed with fibromyalgia severe depression and anxiety. I was nursing then and pushing a med cart around, helping patients and so on, my body just had no more strength to hold itself up or think. I was and am in so much pain all the time, I'm mentally emotionally and physically DONE. Can't even get up out of bed. Cymbalta Lyrica Tylenol 3&4's Demerol, been morphine 50mg 4 times day and Clonazepam 60mg three times a day. Now taking away Clonazepam for XL 150. I'm afraid of the side effects"

TanyaD86 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Depression "I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for depression and panic attacks. Although I was about 30 pounds overweight I had no intention of trying to loose weight while being depressed. My doctor told me, just for me to know that this drug could aid in weight loss for some people. After being on the drug for a few days I noticed that I didn’t have the food cravings I always and I missed a few meals because I just forgot to eat! I decided to give weight loss a try and I am happy .....no overjoyed , to say that in 6 months I lost 40 ! I am not trying to loose anymore, just maintain my loss and so far I am having no problems. FYI I am 64 years old and have not weighed this little for 30 years!"

Coton de Tulear lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

For Depression "So I've been on it for about a month and a half. I've had severe depression for a long time now. I was in a relationship I just couldn't step away from. After this medication I realized that I am better than that. I found the source of all my depression. I am going to leave him and start my life without him. I deserve better. Also, I am really different, it seems to help with my anger issues as well. Things that used to just piss me off, no longer bother me anymore. It's really nice to enjoy things other than my bedroom."

Happygirl93 December 8, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been quite depressed with extreme anxiety, obsessive and compulsive behaviors, Extremely hard addiction to nicotine and some dissociative-psychotic features since 2016 and tried a whole different variety of SSRIS, SNRIS, Mood Stabilizers, but this one at 225mg XL 7 Day is like a custom-made pill for me! 0 desire to smoke, 100 desire to live, socialise, feel empathy and have healthy relationships, the anxiety I can't say for sure it's completely away but i can say for sure that it has lowered at least 65% I feel like I had gone to sleep in 2015 and waked up in december 2017, no side effects so far."

Guerra Dávila (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’m hypersensitive to everything so I was very nervous to start this medication knowing that it would probably cause anxiety symptoms and I already have an anxiety and panic disorder. But I was very happy to find out that it did not affect me that way at all. I have not felt the jitters that I heard about or anxiety. I have not been on it long; I just started it within the last few days. I’m on 150mg/1X a day for now. I’m just very happy to find out that I am not suffering from a bunch of side effects (knock on wood)."

MzCat (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "Dealing with PTSD for 20+ years has been a blurry nightmare with very few gasps of air. My anger had gotten uncontrollable even though I thought it was. I have been on haldol, lexapro, and a couple of others . I have to admit welbutrin saved my marriage and more. The first few weeks were pretty rough but after that I can actually end an argument or conversation that's not going well without blowing up .."

77survivor November 29, 2017

For Depression "I was on Cipralex for 15 years and I got fed up with the reduced erections and orgasms. My endocrinologist recommended trying an SNRI (Wellbutrin 300 mg) and it helped a bit with the bad side effects of cipralex but I found that I was sad often and I’d cry easily. I increased the dosage to 450mg and the sadness went away almost instantly. After a few weeks at 450 mg, I started to feel more and more anxious. I had read that the dosage shouldn’t go beyond 450 so I didn’t want to risk an increase so I stopped taking them completely and the anxiety has almost disappeared. (Almost means that its 90% better) I’ve been off of Wellbutrin for almost a week and I haven’t had any side effects yet."

OttawaGuyCanada November 22, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was taking this for about 6 years. From 13-18. I had a few spotty teen years where I would barely take the meds and I ended up in the hospital many times. I had a very weird and high sex drive and right when I got off it went away. I had intense night terrors and would start yelling in my sleep, I would sweat so much it looked like I wet myself. The nightmares got so vivid and intense I was confusing reality with my dreams, I would constantly have to ask people if something had happened or not. I lost weight when I was taking this regularly. I've been off for almost two years, and all that being said I think I may start it up again. It was one of the only depression meds that kept my emotions but kept the bad ones away for the most part"

Willowd677 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2017

For Depression "Took 150 mg for 4 days and suddenly stating feeling weakness, aches, pains, then sore throat accompanied by fever called my Dr she made me stop taking it and was given toradol to break fever of 102.8 and steroids and fluids, went from 216 to 213 pounds in 4 days. Had my heart rate and blood pressure up also. This drug may be for others but definitely not me, too many adverse effects I've tried zoloft, Prozac, and lexapro, anti depressents are not for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

For Depression "I took wellbutrin to help with motivation and energy, which were major sources of my depression. The first two weeks were absolutely terrible. The only side effect I had was night sweating, and it was so bad that I got no sleep every night. I would fall asleep and wake up covered in so much sweat there would be pools of water on my chest. Had to wear clothes from head to toe and sleep on a towel. After that it worked fine. However, it didn't really help with the motivation. It gave me more energy, but didn't allow me to use it for anything. That ended up increasing my anxiety. However during this period I did not experience a single side effect other than occasional chest pain which was probably from the anxiety/stress anyways."

Kerma September 21, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

For Depression "I was started on 75mg at first and for 2 weeks I had the worst side effects. I literally thought I was going insane. The doctor told me it was normal and ride it out another week. So I did and it passed. They moved me to 150mg XL and it worked wonderful for years. A few years in I had to go up to 300 XL but I was still panic free and depression free. Until recently when it stopped working and I had Prozac added to the mix. I would recommend welbutrin XL to people. Just know you can push through those awful side effects for a few weeks to feel better."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

For Depression "I started taking Wellbutrin XL August of 2016. After starting this drug, I had the motivation and desire to go out and change my life! As a man, this drug drastically increased my sex drive! Which was a huge relief! That first day and all that night all I could dream about was sex - Everything was much "bigger" too. I think because Wellbutrin increased my blood flow and heart rate. This went on for about two weeks until everything levelled out. However, my sex drive still remained more elevated. The only negative side effects I had were extreme migraines those same two weeks. I think I also lost a lot of weight but I'm not sure how much. I was the skinniest I had ever been at that time."

Lukas_with_a_k (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had to stop the drug after 5 doses as it gave me tinnitus. I was not prepared to possibly risk hearing damage."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "So I was on Lexapro 20mg for 3 months and it helped somewhat with my very SEVERE depression that I was suffering from with severe anxiety, It was HELL! So my next appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed bupropionXL and she told me to add it to my lexapro and too take both together, but as soon as I started too take them both I got very emotionally sad and numb, so my sister told me to stop taking the lexapro to give the bupropion a chance to work on its own and that has helped so much because now I feel a lot better then before and I'm only taking 150mg XL. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone."

James1738 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking this medication for under 6months now and I have gained 10lbs while taking this drug. I don't feel like I have increased energy than before like some other people described. I feel more irritable & anxious at times, still can't sleep at night. I get the dry mouth side effects and occasional constipation. I'm taking 300mg XL once a day. I am getting more depressed with gaining weight on this drug! I was taking Lexapro before & didn't find it help me feeling less depressed & experience alot of nightmare or weird dreams while taking Lexapro!"

Cheshyrecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for over 3 years. The reason for my review is recently I've been feeling more "down" lately and wondering whether this drug has run its course with me. Before Wellbutrin I was taking Effexor and it made me feel fantastic. I stopped Effexor because the longer I took it the more side effects it had. If I didn't take Effexor at the same time each day or god forbid- forget it, I would be dizzy and sweating. I like Wellbutrin because I don't feel any side effects. No weight gain, no sexual disfunction. I would like to find another drug for depression that works well and has little side effects. Any suggestions?"

Jube jube August 6, 2017

For Depression "I've been on medicine 150 for less than a week. I feel a little high, anxious, nervousness. But that is a relief compared to the last year sleeping upwards of 20 hours a day with no will to live. I took 300 mg. 10 years ago and lost 35 lbs within months. Already 4 days in I'm down 3 lbs quit smoking and keep trying to nap because of habit but can't sleep my life away. Thank god. I feel a little manic at times but remember this from before it will wear off. I already got up last 2 days and exercised haven't done that in 3 years. I'll report feeling in few months once I'm up to 300mg and stable. 1st day in 3 years where I'm not feeling dread."

AngeLuvsU (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

For Depression "Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017

For Depression "I have had depression for over 15 years. Started because I was in a bad marriage. Then with my divorce and loosing my job after 25 years my depression has just sky rocketed. I am seeing a psychiatrist and she has had to increase my Wellbutrin to 400mg a day and I have noticed a big difference. The only concern they have with giving me that much is the seizures side affects are much higher. But I'm being monitored and been taking them for a month and so far the only side affects I notice is frequent need to urinate, Confusion, headache, skin rash, hives, or itching, dry mouth and honestly I can live with those! I get suicidal thoughts when I'm not on them and have tempted suicide a few times."

MariaMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

For Depression "Been on it for one week. 150XL dry mouth. Lost voice. Insomnia. But I was up and Adam chipper and slaying at work!!!! Like being on speed!!!! Went down to 75mg to try and see if helped. ...Constant muscle spasms and a feeling of hypertension in my arms. Heart rate seems higher. Just feel not worth it. Plus did u see the withdraw experiences? Atrocious. Getting off before it's too late. Don't need high blood pressure this young."

Periwinkles (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017