User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

7.6

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.5 288 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "In the first review that I left, I'm pretty sure I trashed Wellbutrin XL. HOWEVER. I am currently on Lamictal, Pristiq, Concerta, Xanax XR PRN (as needed) and Propranolol PRN (as needed). These meds have done me wonders as far as stabilizing me. Especially Lamictal. Lamictal is amazing. I was still feeling depressed and that it was hard to get out of bed, and even stay awake with Concerta (or any stimulant). I thought of maybe doing Wellbutrin 150 XL, but was so scared of the anxiety that it gave me as a teenager. I mean, it turned me into someone else. But I could use the weight loss and activation this time. So I'm finishing up my first week with it, and wow. I've had no side effects except some insomnia the first few days. I think the medications (as well as being 5 years older/more mature) have helped me tolerate it. I can get out of bed now."

thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Depression "I have been taking 150mg Wellbutrin XL for 4 months now and it has changed my life. I have had depression and anxiety since childhood. I took Celexa for about a year in my late teens and it left a bad impression on me regarding antidepressants (it relieved my anxiety but made me extremely sedated and robotic). After several years I finally gave into trying antidepressants again, as I had just lost my job and was struggling to get out of bed for class. Wellbutrin has helped me feel energized, less foggy, less irritable, but mostly just... normal. Insignificant inconveniences no longer feel like catastrophes. Self esteem is slowly coming back. Sleeping better. No longer crying everyday. Can keep up and be present in conversation. Also, I did not experience any of the common side effects. The only thing that I experienced for a few weeks was very mild aphasia (forgetting words), but I'd take that over being depressed any day!"

Sadie12 February 6, 2019

For Depression "I took Wellbutrin XL/Bupropion for about one year. I honestly don't know that it helped with my depression. It certainly didn't help with my anxiety. It caused my heart palpitations to increase, and I just felt like my heart pounded all the time. Which obviously doesn't help with anxiety. I took Celexa with it, and I didn't notice a change in my GAD or depression with that, either. The positive with Wellbutrin is that it does not cause sexual dysfunction. I did not gain any weight while on it, either. It just didn't work for me."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on this for a couple of months now. At first, my heart rate was sky high no matter what and I shook a lot. So my heart rate is still high, but not as high. And I still shake, but not as much. It did help me quit smoking and lose weight. I am not sure what the side effects would be of Aplenzin, but I might try that. Keep in mind, I'm on the highest dose with a mood stabilizer, Abilify, and Buspar."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’ve probably taken placebo pills that have worked better than Wellbutrin. It does absolutely nothing, and it makes me appreciate the prescription drugs I have taken before that I didn’t think were doing their job. I still have really dark thoughts from time to time and my depression has been ghastly lately. Hands down the least effective antidepressant I have ever taken."

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Depression "I have had depression and anxiety for about 5 years. I was taking Zoloft for most of those and I felt like it kept me stabilized. I have gained about 50 pounds in the last 5 years. I started thinking about it and it all started around the time I started taking medication so I thought maybe this whole time that was the reason. Someone recommended this medicine for weight-loss so I told my doctor and we decided to give it a try. For 4 weeks I was on 150 mg. I felt miserable, angry, always fighting with my family, more depressed then ever, hopeless, etc. I told my doctor and she suggested upping the dose for another 4-6 weeks to see if that improves everything. I've been taking the higher dose for about 3 weeks. I've been balling my eyes out. I can't even go into my house without feeling an overwhelming wave of depression hit me. I feel like I can't spend a minute alone. I feel angry all the time. I think this medicine has pretty much been bad for me and will be talking to the Doctor again."

Jes (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2019

For Depression "Wellbutrin gave me the worst experience of my life. I had been taking Venlafaxine and my mood had become much, much better, but I was still lethargic. My psychiatrist suggested I add Wellbutrin. I started getting extremely anxious, and after 2 weeks decided to stop taking it. My word! I thought my mind was disintegrating when coming off it. I lost my memory function for about 10 days. I couldn't remember if I had asked something already, if I had asked it a few minutes prior, a day prior or a week prior. I couldn't remember people's names and experienced confusion like never before. My psychiatrist said Wellbutrin isn't known for withdrawal effects, but I now know what it must feel like to have dementia. Never again! Instead I increased Venlafaxine to 300mg 6 months later. It has changed my life so completely that I don't move taking it for the rest of my life."

Lopse (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been in a state of depression for a little over a year now. Didn’t seek help until around March 2018. Was first prescribed Zoloft at 25mg to take in the morning. I knew that they were going to take a while to even have any noticeable effects. Noticed some jaw pain but an ibuprofen fixed that. My doctor began increasing my dosage every month or so. 3 weeks ago I was at 100mg Zoloft in the morning. I had never really noticed any major effects, just feeling a tiny bit less sad and what not. I reported this to my doctor and he prescribed me Bupropion 150mg XL. After 3 weeks I’ve had a noticeable amount of energy and I was able to focus and think clearer. Unfortunately I’ve been waking up at random points in the middle of the night and been having some strange dreams. I’ve also been smoking cigarettes for about a year and the wellbutrin helped me kick those. Overall it has really helped with my mood and my energy but it hasn’t really helped with my general anxiety."

Anonymous 18 year old November 17, 2018

"On Wellbutrin XL for more than a month for ADD. Taking Escitalopram for anxiety for many years now and it does very well. For the attention deficit I used to use Ritalin, Vyvance, Focalin, Concerta… which all on lowering levels after few hours causing headaches, nervousness, impatience and general bad feeling. Using Wellbutrin XL, start 150mg for 4 days and raised to 300mg. Effectiveness is amazing. I can concentrate on my work all day long, no side effect and no feeling of the medicine levels lowering in the body. General feeling is much better, more tolerance toward other people and things that happen to you during the day. Side effects occurred only at the first days and disappear after. On the first days I felt slight upper stomach pain and hard stool, which drinking lots of water and taking the medicine with food made it better. After a few days this side effects disappeared. Trouble falling asleep disappeared after a few days. Now I’m on 300mg- like it very much."

No Name (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2018

For Depression "I gained 77 pounds, lost my sex drive and self esteem. I went from 115 lbs to 192lbs. Im 5'4" . I'd already had 3 kids. Exercise (walking, yoga) didn't help at all to relieve anything.. I talked about these issues with several doctors, 2 general practitioners and 2 psychiatrists. The first three doctors found no problems except that I was OBESE and told me it was just my metabolism slowing with age. I had my thyroid tested by a gp and it was fine. No diabetes or hypertension yet. The last doctor (shrink) I spoke immediately had me taper off the wellbutrin XR which did not take more than 2 weeks. I lost about 25 pounds the first month and 5 months later another 20 pounds lost. My self esteem is improving and my sex drive returned. I know they say wellbutrin causes weight loss and has little sexual side effects but not for me for me, this medicine nearly ruined my life, physically and psychologically and sadly it contributed to the end of my marriage."

leopardeyes (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2018

For Depression "I've been on and off of various antidepressants and although the SSRIs helped when my little brother passed, the side effects were dreadful but I also no longer wanted to move - slept all day and every day with no sex drive. Hello Wellbutrin! Honestly, it changed my life. I have so much energy, sex drive back, and lost 10 lbs. The only downside is I don't always sleep well - but not in a groggy tired sort of way - seem to just wake up in middle of night and feel like I could go to the gym or something, but I will work my way through this due to all the positive things that have changed,"

GolferGirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

For Depression "It’s a month now and I have to collected my second script. I feel better and I think this meds also assist with increasing libido. My depression was bad and things have really improved. This med was the only one suitable for me according to my doctor since I have weight issues , he said other depression meds causes weight gain. I have not seen my period I must say I have also been very busy with my partner since taking these. I also don't feel like I’m pregnant but I I’ll check just to confirm. Next time I maybe write that this meds causes pregnancy lol."

Bongiwe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am a 25 yo female. I started taking Wellbutrin XL150mg after being diagnosed with MDD in April. I have done CBT in conjunction with taking medication. On Wellbutrin I feel more energetic, focused, & present. The black haze I saw my life in cleared and I feel normal. The main side effects I feel are: -increased energy soon after I take it -insomnia -appetite suppression. - some impulsivity -some forgetfullness -irritability sometimes -during high stress events I felt a build up of nervous energy & a 'drunk' feeling. I did try other doses. -75mg once daily did nothing for me. -100mg of an instant release once daily for a month. I felt an instant energy & focus in the mornings but by the evenings my mood would fall very deeply & found evenings difficult to get through. @100mg I didn't experience appetite suppression, insomnia, irritability or impulsivity. I plan to continue 150mg wellbutrin xl and may elect to take an SSRI to help with anxiety."

RememberToDrinkWater September 19, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have major depression disorder & panic moments (that’s what I prefer to call them). I take 10mg of Escitalopram & 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL spaced out by 2hrs . Wellbutrin was added as Escitalopram does not last 12 hours. I’ve been taking Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now, no side effects 1st week however this week I’ve had: headache, nausea, my big toe gets a numbness or tingle. (I’m a runner so this bugs me) frequent urination, a slight loss in appetite, I also get nauseous & gassy after I eat or drink coffee and I seem to have more bowel movements but not diarrhea. Not sleeping thru the night has happened twice. I can still have a panic moment if I think about things too much so I use Clonazepam or Lorazepam when needed. I do not “feel” any different (in a bad way) since I’ve started taking it. I did try Zoloft and it was a nightmare, so I know the difference. I would recommend trying it, but stoping if any wild side effects begin."

Susie September 8, 2018

For Depression "On my second day of taking wellburtrin 150 I woke up and went to gym . I had not been in 12 months. I also called my best friend whom I have been avoiding for 12 months. I had been in a very dark space where I wanted to be just alone . I had sex with my husband twice in one week I and that hadn't happened in a while. Now I don't scream at him and my children but I don’t talk much like I used to before depression (but I think that’s better than screaming at everyone) . I don't take things to heart and I listen and smile. I don't have to talk if it’s unnecessary. I’m happy to function but my doctor added dapamax saying they work well together and a sleeping tab I take when necessary."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Depression "I’m very wary of meds as I hate the idea of a band aid for something that could be fixed in other ways... however my depression got so bad I couldn’t stand myself anymore. I work in the mental health field so obviously I need to be well to help others. When nothing I tried was working and I was really beginning to lose hope, I finally gave in and tried Wellbutrin. I’ve had excellent results! Occasionally have weird dreams, but it’s nothing I can’t handle (I enjoy dreams!). My energy is back to normal, I’m able to enjoy the things I’d lost enthusiasm for! I’m hopeful again. I do want to note that I also work at doing a bit of exercise each day, eating healthy, sleeping better, and avoiding substances that harm me in any way. The meds also helped me reconnect with my spirituality! It’s truly been an amazing experience."

Better now (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have struggled with anxiety and depression for years. I’ve tried some other meds and they’ve all made me crazy. I’m usually anti pharma but I have no regrets taking this again. I’m also taking St. John’s wort and I feel like the combo really works for me. My sex drive is back, my motivation is through the roof, I can focus and concentrate again, most of my brain fog has lifted. I wake up and feel a sense of calm. It has also helped with my anxiety. Things don’t bother me much anymore. It doesn’t numb my emotions though. I actually feel excited, joyous, happy, confident. I’m so grateful for Wellbutrin because it’s given me myself back. I’m less angry. I’m less likely to react and fight with my partner. I’m on 300 mg. I highly recommend it but I do know everyone is different and this is just my experience! I wanted to share because of how much it’s benefited my life! I’m a better mom, friend, and partner because of it."

FlowerMama July 30, 2018

For Depression "I was first put on Lexapro, but I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks and generally felt like a robot. My doctor then switched me to 150mg Wellbutrin XL. I took Wellbutrin XL for 5 days before stopping cold turkey. While on the medication, I felt wired like I needed to be moving at all times, almost restless. That wasn’t the most worriesome symptom though. I soon began to have chest pains, a very rapid heart beat, and my heart would actually skip beats which felt like someone squeezing my heart in my chest. After telling my doctor this, he said to stop immediately. I am now on day 3 of no medication and my chest is still hurting like someone is sitting on it, my heart isn’t as rapid, but is still skipping beats. I am incredibly dizzy to the point of being afraid to drive. I’m sure this medication works for some, but it has literally wrecked me and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone."

Sterling85 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

For Depression "I just recently discontinued Wellbutrin after being on it for 8 years after suffering with worsening insomnia that was causing worsening health. It was also contributing to my worsening anxiety. Now that I am no longer on it, I am sleeping much easier and deeper and my anxiety has lessened. I am now on Effexor XR 150mg and Seroquel 50mg with Ativan 0.5mg as needed. I just received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which, for years, was thought to be adult ADD. I've been told by my psychiatrist that Wellbutrin is too activating for some, especially those with mood swings like me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2018

For Depression "After being on several medications and therapy for over a year and experiencing numerous suicidal thoughts, I had given up on life. I read reviews on here of people saying “be patient and your life will change.” My life never changed and I was stuck in the same lifeless routine everyday. I now take 187.5mg of Effexor XR with 150 Wellbutrin XR, and trust me it took months for things to improve but everything changed. Suddenly life didn’t seem so awful. I began making goals for myself, and I wanted to get up and be active instead of sleeping my depression away. I do get slightly depressed here and there but nothing so bad that I would want to end my life. Please don’t give up hope... reach out to someone you love and trust, they will help you get through this difficult time. And be patient even if it takes two years. It took me almost two years of suffering to get to where I am now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :) feel free to ask any questions you might have."

Inspiration789 June 22, 2018

For Depression "I have tried different anti depressants the past 9 years. Celexa and recently lexapro, which was my favorite but has started to fail me after 8 years. My doctor added Bupropion XL 150 to the lexapro and I took it in the morning. The first few days I felt very, very tired. The next 3 days were a 180. I couldn’t sit still, I was shaky, did not sleep 3 days in a row and felt like I was on speed. I discontinued use because I was too unstable due to side effects to work. It may have eventually worked but I couldn’t handle it."

Lowlow (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on 150mg Wellbutrin for depression. The first few months and has no side effects besides very mild nausea (which is a miracle for me). Then they increased my dose to 300mg once a day, and the side effects really started taking its toll on me. I had night terrors that would leave me awake for multiple hours each night when I would finally come out of it. The nausea was making me vomit from the smell of any food. I was really upset because it was really helping as far as my depression goes, but the night terrors were too much for me to handle. Only sleeping 1-3 hours at night isn't worth it to me."

sophiesmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Depression "I started taking WELLBUTRIN when I was 14 and I’m 40 now.in between that time I stopped and started because I was being stubborn. But after realizing that it really is a struggle for me to do it all on my own. I started taking Wellbutrin again and it’s been three weeks and I honestly have gotten so much accomplished, I communicate better, I am so focused, I don’t get really annoyed or irritated like I use too, I’m a better mom and I’m working harder at work. I’ve only had a few side effects slightly shaky and a few weird dreams. But I have to be honest with myself, I need to take this medication in order to be a better person. I definitely recommend sticking through it especially if you can see better result happening in your life. Good luck!"

Lemon blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

For Depression "I wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin XL as reading the reviews in this forum helped me to decide rather to try it or not. I've been on 30MG of Lexapro for several years. I recently experienced a personal setback and the Lexapro was no longer helping. I was afraid of the side effects of Wellbutrin but decided to try it anyway. I started out on a 1/2 of a 150MG tablet. I already had high anxiety and this medicine did make it worse in the beginning. There were days where I thought I can't take this another day. I took 75Mg for about 2 weeks and then upped the dosage to 150MG and cut the Lexapro down to 25MG. By doing this, I felt so much better. Today, I feel about 75% better. I will eventually move up to 300MG. The side effects I experienced were nervousness, anxiety and a minor loss of appetite. I hope this helps as reading several of these reviews were extremely helpful in making my decision when I was searching for a medicine to try. Best of luck to all of you!"

momto1son April 9, 2018

For Depression "I’m taking wellbutrin XL 150mg one per day. I’m no more happy then I was before I start taking it ( 2weeks now) no side effects yet. I do notice I get things done on my day everything that I tell myself that I’m going to do I get it done so I guess it is a good thing. Also add a better diet and yoga to it, it had help more now. Will keep taking it and see how it goes."

Tata April 2, 2018