User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Major Depressive Disorder
7.1

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.5 279 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "I've been on and off of various antidepressants and although the SSRIs helped when my little brother passed, the side effects were dreadful but I also no longer wanted to move - slept all day and every day with no sex drive. Hello Wellbutrin! Honestly, it changed my life. I have so much energy, sex drive back, and lost 10 lbs. The only downside is I don't always sleep well - but not in a groggy tired sort of way - seem to just wake up in middle of night and feel like I could go to the gym or something, but I will work my way through this due to all the positive things that have changed,"

GolferGirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

For Depression "It’s a month now and I have to collected my second script. I feel better and I think this meds also assist with increasing libido. My depression was bad and things have really improved. This med was the only one suitable for me according to my doctor since I have weight issues , he said other depression meds causes weight gain. I have not seen my period I must say I have also been very busy with my partner since taking these. I also don't feel like I’m pregnant but I I’ll check just to confirm. Next time I maybe write that this meds causes pregnancy lol."

Bongiwe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am a 25 yo female. I started taking Wellbutrin XL150mg after being diagnosed with MDD in April. I have done CBT in conjunction with taking medication. On Wellbutrin I feel more energetic, focused, & present. The black haze I saw my life in cleared and I feel normal. The main side effects I feel are: -increased energy soon after I take it -insomnia -appetite suppression. - some impulsivity -some forgetfullness -irritability sometimes -during high stress events I felt a build up of nervous energy & a 'drunk' feeling. I did try other doses. -75mg once daily did nothing for me. -100mg of an instant release once daily for a month. I felt an instant energy & focus in the mornings but by the evenings my mood would fall very deeply & found evenings difficult to get through. @100mg I didn't experience appetite suppression, insomnia, irritability or impulsivity. I plan to continue 150mg wellbutrin xl and may elect to take an SSRI to help with anxiety."

RememberToDrinkWater September 19, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have major depression disorder & panic moments (that’s what I prefer to call them). I take 10mg of Escitalopram & 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL spaced out by 2hrs . Wellbutrin was added as Escitalopram does not last 12 hours. I’ve been taking Wellbutrin for 2 weeks now, no side effects 1st week however this week I’ve had: headache, nausea, my big toe gets a numbness or tingle. (I’m a runner so this bugs me) frequent urination, a slight loss in appetite, I also get nauseous & gassy after I eat or drink coffee and I seem to have more bowel movements but not diarrhea. Not sleeping thru the night has happened twice. I can still have a panic moment if I think about things too much so I use Clonazepam or Lorazepam when needed. I do not “feel” any different (in a bad way) since I’ve started taking it. I did try Zoloft and it was a nightmare, so I know the difference. I would recommend trying it, but stoping if any wild side effects begin."

Susie September 8, 2018

For Depression "On my second day of taking wellburtrin 150 I woke up and went to gym . I had not been in 12 months. I also called my best friend whom I have been avoiding for 12 months. I had been in a very dark space where I wanted to be just alone . I had sex with my husband twice in one week I and that hadn't happened in a while. Now I don't scream at him and my children but I don’t talk much like I used to before depression (but I think that’s better than screaming at everyone) . I don't take things to heart and I listen and smile. I don't have to talk if it’s unnecessary. I’m happy to function but my doctor added dapamax saying they work well together and a sleeping tab I take when necessary."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Depression "I’m very wary of meds as I hate the idea of a band aid for something that could be fixed in other ways... however my depression got so bad I couldn’t stand myself anymore. I work in the mental health field so obviously I need to be well to help others. When nothing I tried was working and I was really beginning to lose hope, I finally gave in and tried Wellbutrin. I’ve had excellent results! Occasionally have weird dreams, but it’s nothing I can’t handle (I enjoy dreams!). My energy is back to normal, I’m able to enjoy the things I’d lost enthusiasm for! I’m hopeful again. I do want to note that I also work at doing a bit of exercise each day, eating healthy, sleeping better, and avoiding substances that harm me in any way. The meds also helped me reconnect with my spirituality! It’s truly been an amazing experience."

Better now (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have struggled with anxiety and depression for years. I’ve tried some other meds and they’ve all made me crazy. I’m usually anti pharma but I have no regrets taking this again. I’m also taking St. John’s wort and I feel like the combo really works for me. My sex drive is back, my motivation is through the roof, I can focus and concentrate again, most of my brain fog has lifted. I wake up and feel a sense of calm. It has also helped with my anxiety. Things don’t bother me much anymore. It doesn’t numb my emotions though. I actually feel excited, joyous, happy, confident. I’m so grateful for Wellbutrin because it’s given me myself back. I’m less angry. I’m less likely to react and fight with my partner. I’m on 300 mg. I highly recommend it but I do know everyone is different and this is just my experience! I wanted to share because of how much it’s benefited my life! I’m a better mom, friend, and partner because of it."

FlowerMama July 30, 2018

For Depression "I was first put on Lexapro, but I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks and generally felt like a robot. My doctor then switched me to 150mg Wellbutrin XL. I took Wellbutrin XL for 5 days before stopping cold turkey. While on the medication, I felt wired like I needed to be moving at all times, almost restless. That wasn’t the most worriesome symptom though. I soon began to have chest pains, a very rapid heart beat, and my heart would actually skip beats which felt like someone squeezing my heart in my chest. After telling my doctor this, he said to stop immediately. I am now on day 3 of no medication and my chest is still hurting like someone is sitting on it, my heart isn’t as rapid, but is still skipping beats. I am incredibly dizzy to the point of being afraid to drive. I’m sure this medication works for some, but it has literally wrecked me and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone."

Sterling85 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

For Depression "I just recently discontinued Wellbutrin after being on it for 8 years after suffering with worsening insomnia that was causing worsening health. It was also contributing to my worsening anxiety. Now that I am no longer on it, I am sleeping much easier and deeper and my anxiety has lessened. I am now on Effexor XR 150mg and Seroquel 50mg with Ativan 0.5mg as needed. I just received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which, for years, was thought to be adult ADD. I've been told by my psychiatrist that Wellbutrin is too activating for some, especially those with mood swings like me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2018

For Depression "After being on several medications and therapy for over a year and experiencing numerous suicidal thoughts, I had given up on life. I read reviews on here of people saying “be patient and your life will change.” My life never changed and I was stuck in the same lifeless routine everyday. I now take 187.5mg of Effexor XR with 150 Wellbutrin XR, and trust me it took months for things to improve but everything changed. Suddenly life didn’t seem so awful. I began making goals for myself, and I wanted to get up and be active instead of sleeping my depression away. I do get slightly depressed here and there but nothing so bad that I would want to end my life. Please don’t give up hope... reach out to someone you love and trust, they will help you get through this difficult time. And be patient even if it takes two years. It took me almost two years of suffering to get to where I am now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :) feel free to ask any questions you might have."

Inspiration789 June 22, 2018

For Depression "I have tried different anti depressants the past 9 years. Celexa and recently lexapro, which was my favorite but has started to fail me after 8 years. My doctor added Bupropion XL 150 to the lexapro and I took it in the morning. The first few days I felt very, very tired. The next 3 days were a 180. I couldn’t sit still, I was shaky, did not sleep 3 days in a row and felt like I was on speed. I discontinued use because I was too unstable due to side effects to work. It may have eventually worked but I couldn’t handle it."

Lowlow (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on 150mg Wellbutrin for depression. The first few months and has no side effects besides very mild nausea (which is a miracle for me). Then they increased my dose to 300mg once a day, and the side effects really started taking its toll on me. I had night terrors that would leave me awake for multiple hours each night when I would finally come out of it. The nausea was making me vomit from the smell of any food. I was really upset because it was really helping as far as my depression goes, but the night terrors were too much for me to handle. Only sleeping 1-3 hours at night isn't worth it to me."

sophiesmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Depression "I started taking WELLBUTRIN when I was 14 and I’m 40 now.in between that time I stopped and started because I was being stubborn. But after realizing that it really is a struggle for me to do it all on my own. I started taking Wellbutrin again and it’s been three weeks and I honestly have gotten so much accomplished, I communicate better, I am so focused, I don’t get really annoyed or irritated like I use too, I’m a better mom and I’m working harder at work. I’ve only had a few side effects slightly shaky and a few weird dreams. But I have to be honest with myself, I need to take this medication in order to be a better person. I definitely recommend sticking through it especially if you can see better result happening in your life. Good luck!"

Lemon blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

For Depression "I wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin XL as reading the reviews in this forum helped me to decide rather to try it or not. I've been on 30MG of Lexapro for several years. I recently experienced a personal setback and the Lexapro was no longer helping. I was afraid of the side effects of Wellbutrin but decided to try it anyway. I started out on a 1/2 of a 150MG tablet. I already had high anxiety and this medicine did make it worse in the beginning. There were days where I thought I can't take this another day. I took 75Mg for about 2 weeks and then upped the dosage to 150MG and cut the Lexapro down to 25MG. By doing this, I felt so much better. Today, I feel about 75% better. I will eventually move up to 300MG. The side effects I experienced were nervousness, anxiety and a minor loss of appetite. I hope this helps as reading several of these reviews were extremely helpful in making my decision when I was searching for a medicine to try. Best of luck to all of you!"

momto1son April 9, 2018

For Depression "I’m taking wellbutrin XL 150mg one per day. I’m no more happy then I was before I start taking it ( 2weeks now) no side effects yet. I do notice I get things done on my day everything that I tell myself that I’m going to do I get it done so I guess it is a good thing. Also add a better diet and yoga to it, it had help more now. Will keep taking it and see how it goes."

Tata April 2, 2018

For Depression "Wellbutrin was a lifesaver for me. Without exaggeration completely changed my life. Before, my depression made me so fatigued, unfocused and unmotivated that I progressed in life at the rate of a sloth. SSRI's never managed to fix those issues. Finally got on Wellbutrin and oh my goodness I can't recommend it enough. Very mild side effects (ringing in ears occasionally, a few hours less sleep the first week or two, sweating) compared to the benefits. Most side effects went away around the 2 week mark. Stopped drinking every day, stopped smoking a pack a day, lost weight, motivated and focused. Thank goodness for Wellbutrin!"

HiTMI (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Depression "150mgXL-brand WB , 2 wks, then 300mg. Day3 on 150mg, INCREDIBLY restless, irritable, angry which lasted 5 days then felt normal until I upped the dose. 2days, 300mg SO angry, irritable, restless more than before. Emotionally exhausting, Feel more depressed than ever. Lasted nonstop 3.5 weeks,. I was a nightmare. I isolated myself, luckily I work freelance so able to not work. Did have more energy, channeled into exercise, healthy diet, cleaning. It helped to focus on things, read many Wellbutrin reviews online. Helped to not feel crazy. Week#6 started to feel better. Not "happy" but no longer crazy emotions. Week 7 now. I have more energy than before starting, more goal orientated & drive to get things done. Again, don't feel "happy" but don't feel like depression is in drivers seat, so can do what needs doing incl. changing external factors that add to depression. Still quick to irritation. Stopped smoking week 5. Glad where I am now but adjustment period much more difficult than could have imagined"

raymondcalitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking 150 mg of bupropion xl for years and it kept me from hurting myself but still had manic depressiveness. I also dealt with seasonal depressive disorder. It was taking the edge off. I wanted to feel able to do things without thinking of every negative possibility. My Doc raised the dosage to 300mg and my feelings also became elavated and feel alive again. Sad to say it has been two weeks and I have developed gouty arthritis in my right elbow and it is not going away. I was trying to not call the Dr. because of the good feelings I am having but the elbow is to painful and I feel it starting in my left elbow and fingers. I had gout in my feet never in my elbow until my sister mentioned that it sounds like gout and from the feeling and redness with the pain, it is what I felt years ago when I was drinking. Sober for 8 years"

MIKE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2018

For Depression "I started taking 150mg, felt nothing, no improviment nor side effects. On the third week the doctor increased it to 300mg. Today is the 3rd day on 300mg, and the first time I feel anything, and its horrible. I can't move, no energy, horrible saddness, can't do anything. Hope I feel better soon."

Kia (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

For Depression "I have ADHD/chronic pain and depression. I was put on the extended release formula about 4yrs ago , and it's been great!!! I take 300mgs XR in the morning. It does a few things for me. After about 4 days on it by energy was so much better I was like a new man. My doctor told me it would also carry my ADHD med longer as well as my painkillers. He was right! I was able to reduce my ADHD med a bit. I have had a couple of good panic attacks from it's stimulation, but well worth it to me. No weight gain at all. Kinda curbs your appetite. I've gotten used to it. In fact when I see my doctor next I'm going to ask to get bumped up to 450mgs a day. Best of luck to you!"

Bostong (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

"Wellbutrin XL cut my anxiety in half and so many less severe panic attacks. Helps with my depression too. Helped me quit smoking and have been smoke free for 2 years now. Only side effects are sweating and tremors but nothing is perfect."

Hbunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2018

For Depression "I started taking this when I felt like I was at the end of my rope and was frantic to find something to help me feel better. I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor. I started at 150mg XL and moved to 300 after 2 weeks. I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but still I feel like it helps me wake up in the morning. It slightly elevated my anxiety at first, but that subsided as well. This medication worked really well for me."

stephlyudmila January 26, 2018

For Depression "Though I was having a heart attack. Chest pain lightly started 2 weeks in. Sunday, pretty good pain but I went to work 1/2 day. Came home and laid down. Pretty bad pain, got up and walked it off. 2 am the pain woke me up and thinking it was a heart attack, I grabbed aspirin. Pain worsened and radiated whole chest. Sweating and nausea. All the signs of a heart attack. EMS transported waited 10 hours for blood enzyme test, it was normal. I had read that chest pain was a side effect. I asked the ER nurse and apparently she knew it was pretty common."

Cindy Badder January 24, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have no doubt that this has helped many people...but for me, this was absolute poison. I'd gone off Lexamil and switched to Wellbutrin 300mg for MDD. My moods are absolutely all over the place. I'll randomly get sad for absolutely no reason and for a logical person, this gets frustrating. Not to mention the strain that most of my relationships have been under because of my now explosive temper. I don't feel like the person that I know that I am."

Lilith-Sama (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

For Depression "I just got a script for WellbutrinXL150mg. I'm a 31 yr old wife & mother of 4, always worked. I was in and out of the hospital since 2007 with widespread pain in my back and neck and head. Severe migraines everyday. I was pushed aside saying I'm fine. Kept going back. Finally 2016 diagnosed with fibromyalgia severe depression and anxiety. I was nursing then and pushing a med cart around, helping patients and so on, my body just had no more strength to hold itself up or think. I was and am in so much pain all the time, I'm mentally emotionally and physically DONE. Can't even get up out of bed. Cymbalta Lyrica Tylenol 3&4's Demerol, been morphine 50mg 4 times day and Clonazepam 60mg three times a day. Now taking away Clonazepam for XL 150. I'm afraid of the side effects"

TanyaD86 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017