User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 3 reviews 2 medications

8.6
Depression 191 reviews 79 medications

7.7
Major Depressive Disorder 44 reviews 46 medications

6.9
Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 238 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

For Depression "Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have had depression for over 15 years. Started because I was in a bad marriage. Then with my divorce and loosing my job after 25 years my depression has just sky rocketed. I am seeing a psychiatrist and she has had to increase my Wellbutrin to 400mg a day and I have noticed a big difference. The only concern they have with giving me that much is the seizures side affects are much higher. But I'm being monitored and been taking them for a month and so far the only side affects I notice is frequent need to urinate, Confusion, headache, skin rash, hives, or itching, dry mouth and honestly I can live with those! I get suicidal thoughts when I'm not on them and have tempted suicide a few times."

MariaMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Been on it for one week. 150XL dry mouth. Lost voice. Insomnia. But I was up and Adam chipper and slaying at work!!!! Like being on speed!!!! Went down to 75mg to try and see if helped. ...Constant muscle spasms and a feeling of hypertension in my arms. Heart rate seems higher. Just feel not worth it. Plus did u see the withdraw experiences? Atrocious. Getting off before it's too late. Don't need high blood pressure this young."

Periwinkles (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Was on 150mg for three weeks then went up to 300mg for a week. Had to stop taking it. Had a weird experience where I was standing beside a running shower; just standing there in a daze. Not for like 10 seconds, but standing there, standing there... That was the last time I took them, now on Lexapro."

TriedWell (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am currently using wellbutrin xl (150mg) a day as an add on to trintellix. I have been on every medication under the sun & always seem to have negative side effects. My biggest struggle with my depression is fatigue & no energy. I've only been on wellbutrin 5 days & I feel a tremendous difference. I am awake in the morning & don't feel like I am going to fall asleep at random times during the day. I also haven't taken a nap in 5 days either which is huge considering I always nap. I am a little anxious sometimes & am also dealing with sleeping issues so I may talk to my Dr about switching to the SR. I am also dealing with a lot of muscle spams but this always happens when I adjust a dose or try a new medication. Wish I tried this sooner!"

Lo Marie x June 12, 2017

For Depression "Constipation"

Anonymous May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Suffered three mental breakdowns, hospitalised three times & off work each time four months each. I am on Wellbutrin XL 300mg once daily in a.m. and find I can function fully during each day; also take 'Adco-Alzam' 0.5mg twice daily to suppress panic attacks. Been on this for >8 years; and have got my confidence back!! Symptoms UNDER CONTROL!!! At last confidence and quality of life, not going off these again.... NEVER!"

Cocoo-Land (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication is very activating without making me anxious. I take it for depression, but I also have general anxiety disorder, and OCD. I was a little worried about taking it at first because one of the side effects indicated that it could make anxiety worse, but I didn't have that problem at all. It definitely helps with depression and lifting my mood. It's not a "happy pill," but it is good with getting and keeping you going and not letting depression ruin you and keep you from doing what needs to be done and living your life."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I live with depression and anxiety. Generic Wellbutrin has given me none of the sexual side effects I experienced with SSRIs like Zoloft. Seems to help me get out of the house. I'm on 150mg every morning and I'm trying 200mg soon. 300mg was too much for me."

Mandy87 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "MY person experience may differ for others, but BEST combo for me so far, has included Wellbutin XL 300mg. Many years receiving mental health services (27 years). Had to stop SSRI's. Wellbutrin however helped increase my motivation, had none. Was so bad I laid in bed months from severe depression, so long immobile that both legs filled with blood clots and near death!! Survived on blood thinners and hospital over a week. With Wellbutrin had no weight gain, lost the 50lb other meds helped put on me! Lower cholest., quit smoking as a nice bonus and no sexual issues, in fact helped imho."

HorrorActress1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on the 75mg SR formulation for a week before taking two a day. Went to 150 XL the next month and 300 XL after that. Been on it for about 3 months now. I love this medication. It's changed my life. I don't feel depressed very often anymore and combined with therapy, my life is substantially better. No side effects at all! Much better than Lexapro, which gave me bad sexual side effects."

KMDM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication."

Helijen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all."

Alex4343 February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "It's always been effective. However, every so often I get a bottle that smells odd. I took it to the pharmacy and he noticed too. I told him I'd never noticed it before and he seemed puzzled by it also. I worry there are bad batches or tampered with prescriptions. It's not all the time it happened in 2014 also."

Californian (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on 150MG XL for 6 months now. I was prescribed it because of the death of my teenage son and also the end of a relationship. I was diagnosed with moderate depression. I felt like a zombie with very little motivation. I always work out and have managed to stay active but still things were not right. I went on this and it has made all the difference. I will agree there is apathy while on it. The highs are not as high but the lows are not as low. You just have a quiet balance in your life and it does not feel like you are on any sort of medication. I attempted to go off of it and could already tell I felt sad so trying another 6 months. I did not lose any weight but I am pretty thin already. Wonderful medicine for me."

OnTheRunJG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seasonal Affective Disorder "Seasonal Affective Disorder really hit me hard once I turned 20. I spent 2 winters completely and utterly miserable. I was extremely lethargic, depressed, gaining weight from inactivity, and just all around hopeless. After the second winter going through that hell, I said no more. I began treatment for SAD in the fall, and it has already helped immensely (along with consistent therapy). I have more energy, much less depression and hopelessness, and have not gained any weight at all (which is a big deal for me this time of year). One thing I will say is that an interesting side effect for me has been apathy. I feel a bit numb to emotions. But not depressed - just not as emotional. It has been kind of nice actually."

miaeliz January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This did nothing for me, as far as I'm concerned, I think its a placebo.. I was very depressed because I felt awful everyday, I could barely get out of bed, I felt exhausted, foggy mind, body ached, and long list of other debilitating symptoms.. I knew I wasn't just feeling these things physically for no reason. I'm only 30yrs old and when I started having memory problems I knew that it wasn't just Depression!! My primary doc did blood work and found I had some severe vitamin deficiencies! I got some prescription vitamins and changed my diet.. I feel better physically and mentally!! This may not help everyone but I encourage you to make sure your doc does a lot of tests tests to rule out others health issues before before blaming depression"

Justice feels good January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've only been on this medication since the 18th of this month, but one thing that I have noticed with this medication is that it is helping me to not have a constant appetite. I was not only needing help with depression, but I was also needing help with weight loss and at this point I don't know how the weight-loss will/will not work with med, but I do know that I do not have an appetite like before taking this. And for that I am very grateful. I also understand that it could take 3 to 4 weeks before I notice the effects for the depression. I am hopeful!"

Butterfli January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Day 1 of taking Wellbutrin XL, I was the most positive I've been in a long time. I had a very vivid colorful dream that first night, the first time I've ever dreamt in color (that I can remember). The dreams subsided after day one, but the medication continued to make me feel better. I'm about 2 months in, and it's been absolutely amazing in treating my depression. My motivation has drastically skyrocketed, and I feel more positive and optimistic about life."

Al82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on and off different SSRI's and none of them have helped e.g. slept my life away, foggy mind, couldn't concentrate, no feelings, constant ringing in my ears, low libido. I started on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 1 month and my doc upped my dose to 300mg. My experience has been super wonderful, from sleeping too much I am now going to bed later at night and getting up earlier & feel refreshed. I cry when I need to which to me is a good release. I am always busy. I have redone my whole home & garden, I go out more (use to be a total recluse). I sit & have my coffee out on the patio & watch the bird life and find so much joy in every day life. I have found an inner peace with Wellbutrin XL that I have never felt before. Big thumbs up :)"

Lin-Lu January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking 15mg remron at night for sleep and also to help out with the depression when I wake up in the morn! I recently started the wellbutrin xl for about 5 weeks now and I think its a good mix for me. Before the wellbutrin I was always tired and not into anything! Feeling down yet once I started wellbutrin it brought me back to life! I can finally do things and be happy about doing stuff. So far so good! I'll keep ya posted..."

Johnnie85 January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Dr. switched me from 20mg generic Lexapro to 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL HCL (bupropion) because I felt a lack of energy on the Lexapro. I didn't notice any change of energy level with the Wellbutrin, but had many side effects: significant weight gain (30 lbs in 8 months) despite it being "weight neutral"; constant headaches, joint pain, muscle ache, stomach pain, blurry vision, constipation and sleep disturbances. Switched from CVS pharmacy to Publix pharmacy and pills were different (small white round at CVS, large white oblong at Publix). Switching to new generic only made side effects worse. Went back to the generic Lexapro and after 3 weeks, all symptoms ceased and weight is dropping back off. Wellbutrin is not for me."

JaxLaurie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Increasing dose from 150mg to 300mg daily stopped suicidal ideation, but did not improve anhedonia. Increased dose associated with onset of hemidyskinesia, which diminished on lowered dosage and resolved completely when drug stopped."

Kelly-Anne Bryan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin XL (Buproprion) has helped me kick cravings for alcohol and other drugs. It's really amazing. My doctor prescribed it for major depressive disorder/ptsd and I can feel it helping me get through the winter. I started out on 150mg for 2 months which was fine, then one month on 300mg which was too much (every day stomach-aches, shakes, too much energy, very speedy) so doctor put me back on 150mg XL which is again working nicely and all the shaky/speedy feeling I had on 300mg is gone. My first 2-3 months on this drug I didn't have much of an appetite but it came back after that so now I still eat normally even though I'm on the drug. So yeah, It takes some getting used to. Don't expect immediate results."

Amir_02151 December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for so many years that I can't remember when I started it. It has been the only med that has really worked for me. I tried generic bupropion and cannot take it because it upsets my stomach and does not have the same effect on my mood or emotions. Now I am in a quandry. In March I go on Medicare and was already told that Medicare will not pay for Wellbutrin. I don't know what to do. For about 2 years I have been getting it through the manufacturer's discount program, but once I go on Medicare, I can't get it through the manufacturer either. This really stinks! I hope someone has a solution because I cannot afford $1,500/month for a prescription!"

GrammyH64 (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016