User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Major Depressive Disorder
6.8

Summary of Wellbutrin XL reviews 7.4 301 reviews

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

"I gained 20 pounds (5 ft 153 lbs) over the last year despite starting aerobic exercise and healthy diet and feeling no motivation and wiped out. I also developed.diabetes that required medication. I was emotional at times and would cry easily but never had problems with depression before. The doc thought it was related to Perimenopaisal changes. I was placed on Welbutrin 150mgXl to help with my metabolisms and boost my mood with diet that prohibited me from eating late at night (behavioral modification).Well it is helping and I feel much better. I lost 10 pounds in around 5 weeks and my mood has improved, and feeling emotionally better. The only time I felt gittery was when I would have coffee after taking it so I have also cut out caffeine out of my diet . I feel like I am back to my old upbeat motivated self and with my healthy dietary habits , i am on my way to getting my weight back to healthy zone to help with the diabetes and overall cardiac health."

YoungladyOver50 June 14, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin worked very well for me and did so in a matter of weeks. I started at 150mg SR per day and felt somewhat better. When increased to 300mg XL I felt virtually normal. I don't know if it saved my life, but it certainly let me feel life was worth living. The only side effects I have had are slight weight loss and somewhat more energy. Both of these side effects are actually welcome."

BVan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2019

For Depression "Been on Wellbutrin XL 300 for 5 years. Saved my life!! Had serious addiction to pain pills and Dr suggested Wellbutrin to help me cope with my feelings. Works great for me."

Markymark (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2019

For Depression "Sadness turned into energy and sometimes anger Overall positive on the day mood. However : massive insomnia, every night. Had to ultimately stop the treatment. I guess its a good treatment if you're an energy-less vegetable, otherwise, you become very angry, agitated and can't sleep well."

AD (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2019

For Depression "When I first starting taking this a year ago it felt like it was working almost immediately. Then all of a sudden it just felt like nothing. I recently increased it to 300 mg and I had every side effect possible. So I went down to the lower dose again. Lately I've been having little desire to have sex so I weaned myself off and it's been three days since I've taken it and last night was the first time in a while that I've had a desire to actually have sex. EVERY antidepressant I've tried has caused me weight gain and sexual side effects. Going to try the natural approach this time."

ajm0881 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have only been in bupropion XL for 2 and a half weeks I'm on it for MDD. But that being said I can see it starting to work. I am not as anxious as I normally am. My thoughts seems more rational and aren't spirally out of control like they normally do. I was on Celexa for years but found it wasn't working and climaxing was such a struggle to achieve . My female libido is really coming back to what it was 20 years ago! I really am excited that I am starting to feel more happy and not so easily irritated. Give it a try if you are struggling. I'm sure it's not for everyone but , you won't know until you try :)"

Gogetter (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Wellbutrin was a terrible medication for me. It gave me a lot of anger, my mood worsened much more and loss of libido. But the worse side effect was a MAJOR and TOTAL loss of memory. Never taking anymore."

Tomnik (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2019

"I have adult ADHD, diagnosed very late, and generalized anxiety with panic attacks that also started very recently. My doctor prescrived Wellbutrin XL and gave me buspirone for the anxiety. Not only did the Wellbutrin not have any positive effects, as far as I've noticed, it made things much harder for me, too. It gave me impatience, agitation, the need to explode, yell and break. I had a bad outburst and have to cut the medication now. I was really hopeful because many people gave excellent reviews. If you have anxiety, you should probably go for a different drug or be very careful with Wellbutrin, as anxiety is NOT a listed condition for this "

Cenk (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’m having trouble functioning and would like to stay in bed all day, but am pushing myself to do things."

Spades12 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

For Depression "I have had anxiety and depression all my life. It got to it's worst point and started affecting my relationships where I was very irritable, upset, and just overall in a terrible mood. I came to a point where I couldn't even talk about my emptiness without crying. I was never someone to take medication but my Dr prescribed this to me. I take 1 pill a day and over the course of 2 months I was visibly seeing the changes. I had a lot of the anxiety lift away - not all of it but my mood was definitely more stable. I was able to think clearer. I don't want to increase my dose but it really helped me. I noticed when I missed a a day of taking it I felt my anxiety coming back. I realized the anxiety and depression were coming back and then remembered I wasn't really consistent for a week. Just be on a schedule with this. I am thankful for this medication... And that it has improved my day to day life."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Sadly, I have been on 300xr and I have been so depressed. I went off of it and felt like myself again."

Sapp6511 March 26, 2019

"By week 8 I was mostly back to normal sexually and as I said felt completely grounded from my anxiety with the Zoloft. I was always a person that didn’t like to take drugs or pills, I wanted to handle things on my own or naturally. If you are that person trust the process here I am amazed how well this has worked out. There is help and hope if you can hang in there for 8 weeks with the Zoloft. I really wanted to quit after 2 weeks because the side effects of getting on the Zoloft were just downright hard and miserable but I just kept telling myself I needed to get through this. My anxiety had just affected my life too much. I kept counting down the weeks and then I got to 6 and felt noticeably better and then as I said week 8 I was back. I remember thinking what happens if I get on Zoloft and can’t have sex anymore which scared me and made me hesitant, but the wellbutin fixed that. I wish you well on your journey."

Dmudger March 17, 2019

"I’m a 57 year old male. I started Zoloft 4 1/2 months ago for anxiety disorder. 50mg per day. During the first week I experienced anorgasm which I had never experienced before but I had some other side effects like a little nausea, a little anxiety...I had never taken these type of drugs before so I only knew what I read in these forums. I think a lot of side effects were in my head because I was hypersentive and hyperaware because I had nothing to reference the feeling both physical and mental sensations I had. After 4 weeks the side effects had gone away after 6 weeks I felt good and after 8 weeks in the Zoloft I felt normal again. Like my feet were in the ground. At week 6 I decided to try and tackle my anorgasm problem and my doctor recommended trying Wellbutrin (Bupropion) along with the Zoloft. I started off at 150mg then moved to 300mg. After just a couple of days I had my first orgasm in a month and a half."

Dmudger March 17, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had so many side effects from wellbutrin, it was too hard to handle. I had a fever, heard ringing in my ears, and was extremely dizzy. My doctor told me to stop taking it immediately."

Nelly (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Depression "Scary memory loss, ringing in ears, urinary retention, and constipation. But no desire to consume alcohol socially. I once forgot a car was coming and nearly crashed. Gave me motivation but not worth the brain damage - or death by car."

Charley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2019

For Depression "This medication made me extremely anxious from the moment I opened my eyes to the time I finally am able to close my eyes. Heart beating out of my chest so hard it was aching. I was so mean to my friends and had to bite my tongue many times at work for literally no reason."

Jed March 2, 2019

For Depression "Good for fatigue and anxiety with social phobia. But memory problems, aggressiveness, increased appetite and hypertension were major issues. No improvement in depression whatsoever. Took 150 mg."

tomnick (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2019

For Depression "In the first review that I left, I'm pretty sure I trashed Wellbutrin XL. HOWEVER. I am currently on Lamictal, Pristiq, Concerta, Xanax XR PRN (as needed) and Propranolol PRN (as needed). These meds have done me wonders as far as stabilizing me. Especially Lamictal. Lamictal is amazing. I was still feeling depressed and that it was hard to get out of bed, and even stay awake with Concerta (or any stimulant). I thought of maybe doing Wellbutrin 150 XL, but was so scared of the anxiety that it gave me as a teenager. I mean, it turned me into someone else. But I could use the weight loss and activation this time. So I'm finishing up my first week with it, and wow. I've had no side effects except some insomnia the first few days. I think the medications (as well as being 5 years older/more mature) have helped me tolerate it. I can get out of bed now."

thebrogo (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Depression "I have been taking 150mg Wellbutrin XL for 4 months now and it has changed my life. I have had depression and anxiety since childhood. I took Celexa for about a year in my late teens and it left a bad impression on me regarding antidepressants (it relieved my anxiety but made me extremely sedated and robotic). After several years I finally gave into trying antidepressants again, as I had just lost my job and was struggling to get out of bed for class. Wellbutrin has helped me feel energized, less foggy, less irritable, but mostly just... normal. Insignificant inconveniences no longer feel like catastrophes. Self esteem is slowly coming back. Sleeping better. No longer crying everyday. Can keep up and be present in conversation. Also, I did not experience any of the common side effects. The only thing that I experienced for a few weeks was very mild aphasia (forgetting words), but I'd take that over being depressed any day!"

Sadie12 February 6, 2019

For Depression "I took Wellbutrin XL/Bupropion for about one year. I honestly don't know that it helped with my depression. It certainly didn't help with my anxiety. It caused my heart palpitations to increase, and I just felt like my heart pounded all the time. Which obviously doesn't help with anxiety. I took Celexa with it, and I didn't notice a change in my GAD or depression with that, either. The positive with Wellbutrin is that it does not cause sexual dysfunction. I did not gain any weight while on it, either. It just didn't work for me."

Sunydys33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on this for a couple of months now. At first, my heart rate was sky high no matter what and I shook a lot. So my heart rate is still high, but not as high. And I still shake, but not as much. It did help me quit smoking and lose weight. I am not sure what the side effects would be of Aplenzin, but I might try that. Keep in mind, I'm on the highest dose with a mood stabilizer, Abilify, and Buspar."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’ve probably taken placebo pills that have worked better than Wellbutrin. It does absolutely nothing, and it makes me appreciate the prescription drugs I have taken before that I didn’t think were doing their job. I still have really dark thoughts from time to time and my depression has been ghastly lately. Hands down the least effective antidepressant I have ever taken."

Otsutsuki (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2019

For Depression "I have had depression and anxiety for about 5 years. I was taking Zoloft for most of those and I felt like it kept me stabilized. I have gained about 50 pounds in the last 5 years. I started thinking about it and it all started around the time I started taking medication so I thought maybe this whole time that was the reason. Someone recommended this medicine for weight-loss so I told my doctor and we decided to give it a try. For 4 weeks I was on 150 mg. I felt miserable, angry, always fighting with my family, more depressed then ever, hopeless, etc. I told my doctor and she suggested upping the dose for another 4-6 weeks to see if that improves everything. I've been taking the higher dose for about 3 weeks. I've been balling my eyes out. I can't even go into my house without feeling an overwhelming wave of depression hit me. I feel like I can't spend a minute alone. I feel angry all the time. I think this medicine has pretty much been bad for me and will be talking to the Doctor again."

Jes (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2019

For Depression "Wellbutrin gave me the worst experience of my life. I had been taking Venlafaxine and my mood had become much, much better, but I was still lethargic. My psychiatrist suggested I add Wellbutrin. I started getting extremely anxious, and after 2 weeks decided to stop taking it. My word! I thought my mind was disintegrating when coming off it. I lost my memory function for about 10 days. I couldn't remember if I had asked something already, if I had asked it a few minutes prior, a day prior or a week prior. I couldn't remember people's names and experienced confusion like never before. My psychiatrist said Wellbutrin isn't known for withdrawal effects, but I now know what it must feel like to have dementia. Never again! Instead I increased Venlafaxine to 300mg 6 months later. It has changed my life so completely that I don't move taking it for the rest of my life."

Lopse (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2018

For Depression "I’ve been in a state of depression for a little over a year now. Didn’t seek help until around March 2018. Was first prescribed Zoloft at 25mg to take in the morning. I knew that they were going to take a while to even have any noticeable effects. Noticed some jaw pain but an ibuprofen fixed that. My doctor began increasing my dosage every month or so. 3 weeks ago I was at 100mg Zoloft in the morning. I had never really noticed any major effects, just feeling a tiny bit less sad and what not. I reported this to my doctor and he prescribed me Bupropion 150mg XL. After 3 weeks I’ve had a noticeable amount of energy and I was able to focus and think clearer. Unfortunately I’ve been waking up at random points in the middle of the night and been having some strange dreams. I’ve also been smoking cigarettes for about a year and the wellbutrin helped me kick those. Overall it has really helped with my mood and my energy but it hasn’t really helped with my general anxiety."

Anonymous 18 year old November 17, 2018