User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I’m very wary of meds as I hate the idea of a band aid for something that could be fixed in other ways... however my depression got so bad I couldn’t stand myself anymore. I work in the mental health field so obviously I need to be well to help others. When nothing I tried was working and I was really beginning to lose hope, I finally gave in and tried Wellbutrin. I’ve had excellent results! Occasionally have weird dreams, but it’s nothing I can’t handle (I enjoy dreams!). My energy is back to normal, I’m able to enjoy the things I’d lost enthusiasm for! I’m hopeful again. I do want to note that I also work at doing a bit of exercise each day, eating healthy, sleeping better, and avoiding substances that harm me in any way. The meds also helped me reconnect with my spirituality! It’s truly been an amazing experience."

Better now (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"I was first put on Lexapro, but I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks and generally felt like a robot. My doctor then switched me to 150mg Wellbutrin XL. I took Wellbutrin XL for 5 days before stopping cold turkey. While on the medication, I felt wired like I needed to be moving at all times, almost restless. That wasn’t the most worriesome symptom though. I soon began to have chest pains, a very rapid heart beat, and my heart would actually skip beats which felt like someone squeezing my heart in my chest. After telling my doctor this, he said to stop immediately. I am now on day 3 of no medication and my chest is still hurting like someone is sitting on it, my heart isn’t as rapid, but is still skipping beats. I am incredibly dizzy to the point of being afraid to drive. I’m sure this medication works for some, but it has literally wrecked me and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone."

Sterling85 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"I just recently discontinued Wellbutrin after being on it for 8 years after suffering with worsening insomnia that was causing worsening health. It was also contributing to my worsening anxiety. Now that I am no longer on it, I am sleeping much easier and deeper and my anxiety has lessened. I am now on Effexor XR 150mg and Seroquel 50mg with Ativan 0.5mg as needed. I just received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which, for years, was thought to be adult ADD. I've been told by my psychiatrist that Wellbutrin is too activating for some, especially those with mood swings like me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2018

"After being on several medications and therapy for over a year and experiencing numerous suicidal thoughts, I had given up on life. I read reviews on here of people saying “be patient and your life will change.” My life never changed and I was stuck in the same lifeless routine everyday. I now take 187.5mg of Effexor XR with 150 Wellbutrin XR, and trust me it took months for things to improve but everything changed. Suddenly life didn’t seem so awful. I began making goals for myself, and I wanted to get up and be active instead of sleeping my depression away. I do get slightly depressed here and there but nothing so bad that I would want to end my life. Please don’t give up hope... reach out to someone you love and trust, they will help you get through this difficult time. And be patient even if it takes two years. It took me almost two years of suffering to get to where I am now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :) feel free to ask any questions you might have."

Inspiration789 June 22, 2018

"I have tried different anti depressants the past 9 years. Celexa and recently lexapro, which was my favorite but has started to fail me after 8 years. My doctor added Bupropion XL 150 to the lexapro and I took it in the morning. The first few days I felt very, very tired. The next 3 days were a 180. I couldn’t sit still, I was shaky, did not sleep 3 days in a row and felt like I was on speed. I discontinued use because I was too unstable due to side effects to work. It may have eventually worked but I couldn’t handle it."

Lowlow (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

"I started taking WELLBUTRIN when I was 14 and I’m 40 now.in between that time I stopped and started because I was being stubborn. But after realizing that it really is a struggle for me to do it all on my own. I started taking Wellbutrin again and it’s been three weeks and I honestly have gotten so much accomplished, I communicate better, I am so focused, I don’t get really annoyed or irritated like I use too, I’m a better mom and I’m working harder at work. I’ve only had a few side effects slightly shaky and a few weird dreams. But I have to be honest with myself, I need to take this medication in order to be a better person. I definitely recommend sticking through it especially if you can see better result happening in your life. Good luck!"

Lemon blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"I wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin XL as reading the reviews in this forum helped me to decide rather to try it or not. I've been on 30MG of Lexapro for several years. I recently experienced a personal setback and the Lexapro was no longer helping. I was afraid of the side effects of Wellbutrin but decided to try it anyway. I started out on a 1/2 of a 150MG tablet. I already had high anxiety and this medicine did make it worse in the beginning. There were days where I thought I can't take this another day. I took 75Mg for about 2 weeks and then upped the dosage to 150MG and cut the Lexapro down to 25MG. By doing this, I felt so much better. Today, I feel about 75% better. I will eventually move up to 300MG. The side effects I experienced were nervousness, anxiety and a minor loss of appetite. I hope this helps as reading several of these reviews were extremely helpful in making my decision when I was searching for a medicine to try. Best of luck to all of you!"

momto1son April 9, 2018

"I’m taking wellbutrin XL 150mg one per day. I’m no more happy then I was before I start taking it ( 2weeks now) no side effects yet. I do notice I get things done on my day everything that I tell myself that I’m going to do I get it done so I guess it is a good thing. Also add a better diet and yoga to it, it had help more now. Will keep taking it and see how it goes."

Tata April 2, 2018

"Wellbutrin was a lifesaver for me. Without exaggeration completely changed my life. Before, my depression made me so fatigued, unfocused and unmotivated that I progressed in life at the rate of a sloth. SSRI's never managed to fix those issues. Finally got on Wellbutrin and oh my goodness I can't recommend it enough. Very mild side effects (ringing in ears occasionally, a few hours less sleep the first week or two, sweating) compared to the benefits. Most side effects went away around the 2 week mark. Stopped drinking every day, stopped smoking a pack a day, lost weight, motivated and focused. Thank goodness for Wellbutrin!"

HiTMI (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"150mgXL-brand WB , 2 wks, then 300mg. Day3 on 150mg, INCREDIBLY restless, irritable, angry which lasted 5 days then felt normal until I upped the dose. 2days, 300mg SO angry, irritable, restless more than before. Emotionally exhausting, Feel more depressed than ever. Lasted nonstop 3.5 weeks,. I was a nightmare. I isolated myself, luckily I work freelance so able to not work. Did have more energy, channeled into exercise, healthy diet, cleaning. It helped to focus on things, read many Wellbutrin reviews online. Helped to not feel crazy. Week#6 started to feel better. Not "happy" but no longer crazy emotions. Week 7 now. I have more energy than before starting, more goal orientated & drive to get things done. Again, don't feel "happy" but don't feel like depression is in drivers seat, so can do what needs doing incl. changing external factors that add to depression. Still quick to irritation. Stopped smoking week 5. Glad where I am now but adjustment period much more difficult than could have imagined"

raymondcalitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

"I started taking 150mg, felt nothing, no improviment nor side effects. On the third week the doctor increased it to 300mg. Today is the 3rd day on 300mg, and the first time I feel anything, and its horrible. I can't move, no energy, horrible saddness, can't do anything. Hope I feel better soon."

Kia (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"I have ADHD/chronic pain and depression. I was put on the extended release formula about 4yrs ago , and it's been great!!! I take 300mgs XR in the morning. It does a few things for me. After about 4 days on it by energy was so much better I was like a new man. My doctor told me it would also carry my ADHD med longer as well as my painkillers. He was right! I was able to reduce my ADHD med a bit. I have had a couple of good panic attacks from it's stimulation, but well worth it to me. No weight gain at all. Kinda curbs your appetite. I've gotten used to it. In fact when I see my doctor next I'm going to ask to get bumped up to 450mgs a day. Best of luck to you!"

Bostong (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

"I started taking this when I felt like I was at the end of my rope and was frantic to find something to help me feel better. I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor. I started at 150mg XL and moved to 300 after 2 weeks. I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but still I feel like it helps me wake up in the morning. It slightly elevated my anxiety at first, but that subsided as well. This medication worked really well for me."

stephlyudmila January 26, 2018

"Though I was having a heart attack. Chest pain lightly started 2 weeks in. Sunday, pretty good pain but I went to work 1/2 day. Came home and laid down. Pretty bad pain, got up and walked it off. 2 am the pain woke me up and thinking it was a heart attack, I grabbed aspirin. Pain worsened and radiated whole chest. Sweating and nausea. All the signs of a heart attack. EMS transported waited 10 hours for blood enzyme test, it was normal. I had read that chest pain was a side effect. I asked the ER nurse and apparently she knew it was pretty common."

Cindy Badder January 24, 2018

"I just got a script for WellbutrinXL150mg. I'm a 31 yr old wife & mother of 4, always worked. I was in and out of the hospital since 2007 with widespread pain in my back and neck and head. Severe migraines everyday. I was pushed aside saying I'm fine. Kept going back. Finally 2016 diagnosed with fibromyalgia severe depression and anxiety. I was nursing then and pushing a med cart around, helping patients and so on, my body just had no more strength to hold itself up or think. I was and am in so much pain all the time, I'm mentally emotionally and physically DONE. Can't even get up out of bed. Cymbalta Lyrica Tylenol 3&4's Demerol, been morphine 50mg 4 times day and Clonazepam 60mg three times a day. Now taking away Clonazepam for XL 150. I'm afraid of the side effects"

TanyaD86 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for depression and panic attacks. Although I was about 30 pounds overweight I had no intention of trying to loose weight while being depressed. My doctor told me, just for me to know that this drug could aid in weight loss for some people. After being on the drug for a few days I noticed that I didn’t have the food cravings I always and I missed a few meals because I just forgot to eat! I decided to give weight loss a try and I am happy .....no overjoyed , to say that in 6 months I lost 40 ! I am not trying to loose anymore, just maintain my loss and so far I am having no problems. FYI I am 64 years old and have not weighed this little for 30 years!"

Coton de Tulear lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"So I've been on it for about a month and a half. I've had severe depression for a long time now. I was in a relationship I just couldn't step away from. After this medication I realized that I am better than that. I found the source of all my depression. I am going to leave him and start my life without him. I deserve better. Also, I am really different, it seems to help with my anger issues as well. Things that used to just piss me off, no longer bother me anymore. It's really nice to enjoy things other than my bedroom."

Happygirl93 December 8, 2017

"I was on Cipralex for 15 years and I got fed up with the reduced erections and orgasms. My endocrinologist recommended trying an SNRI (Wellbutrin 300 mg) and it helped a bit with the bad side effects of cipralex but I found that I was sad often and I’d cry easily. I increased the dosage to 450mg and the sadness went away almost instantly. After a few weeks at 450 mg, I started to feel more and more anxious. I had read that the dosage shouldn’t go beyond 450 so I didn’t want to risk an increase so I stopped taking them completely and the anxiety has almost disappeared. (Almost means that its 90% better) I’ve been off of Wellbutrin for almost a week and I haven’t had any side effects yet."

OttawaGuyCanada November 22, 2017

"Took 150 mg for 4 days and suddenly stating feeling weakness, aches, pains, then sore throat accompanied by fever called my Dr she made me stop taking it and was given toradol to break fever of 102.8 and steroids and fluids, went from 216 to 213 pounds in 4 days. Had my heart rate and blood pressure up also. This drug may be for others but definitely not me, too many adverse effects I've tried zoloft, Prozac, and lexapro, anti depressents are not for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

"I took wellbutrin to help with motivation and energy, which were major sources of my depression. The first two weeks were absolutely terrible. The only side effect I had was night sweating, and it was so bad that I got no sleep every night. I would fall asleep and wake up covered in so much sweat there would be pools of water on my chest. Had to wear clothes from head to toe and sleep on a towel. After that it worked fine. However, it didn't really help with the motivation. It gave me more energy, but didn't allow me to use it for anything. That ended up increasing my anxiety. However during this period I did not experience a single side effect other than occasional chest pain which was probably from the anxiety/stress anyways."

Kerma September 21, 2017

"I was started on 75mg at first and for 2 weeks I had the worst side effects. I literally thought I was going insane. The doctor told me it was normal and ride it out another week. So I did and it passed. They moved me to 150mg XL and it worked wonderful for years. A few years in I had to go up to 300 XL but I was still panic free and depression free. Until recently when it stopped working and I had Prozac added to the mix. I would recommend welbutrin XL to people. Just know you can push through those awful side effects for a few weeks to feel better."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

"I started taking Wellbutrin XL August of 2016. After starting this drug, I had the motivation and desire to go out and change my life! As a man, this drug drastically increased my sex drive! Which was a huge relief! That first day and all that night all I could dream about was sex - Everything was much "bigger" too. I think because Wellbutrin increased my blood flow and heart rate. This went on for about two weeks until everything levelled out. However, my sex drive still remained more elevated. The only negative side effects I had were extreme migraines those same two weeks. I think I also lost a lot of weight but I'm not sure how much. I was the skinniest I had ever been at that time."

Lukas_with_a_k (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for over 3 years. The reason for my review is recently I've been feeling more "down" lately and wondering whether this drug has run its course with me. Before Wellbutrin I was taking Effexor and it made me feel fantastic. I stopped Effexor because the longer I took it the more side effects it had. If I didn't take Effexor at the same time each day or god forbid- forget it, I would be dizzy and sweating. I like Wellbutrin because I don't feel any side effects. No weight gain, no sexual disfunction. I would like to find another drug for depression that works well and has little side effects. Any suggestions?"

Jube jube August 6, 2017

"I've been on medicine 150 for less than a week. I feel a little high, anxious, nervousness. But that is a relief compared to the last year sleeping upwards of 20 hours a day with no will to live. I took 300 mg. 10 years ago and lost 35 lbs within months. Already 4 days in I'm down 3 lbs quit smoking and keep trying to nap because of habit but can't sleep my life away. Thank god. I feel a little manic at times but remember this from before it will wear off. I already got up last 2 days and exercised haven't done that in 3 years. I'll report feeling in few months once I'm up to 300mg and stable. 1st day in 3 years where I'm not feeling dread."

AngeLuvsU (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

"Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017