User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"Was on 150mg for three weeks then went up to 300mg for a week. Had to stop taking it. Had a weird experience where I was standing beside a running shower; just standing there in a daze. Not for like 10 seconds, but standing there, standing there... That was the last time I took them, now on Lexapro."

TriedWell (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Constipation"

Anonymous May 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is very activating without making me anxious. I take it for depression, but I also have general anxiety disorder, and OCD. I was a little worried about taking it at first because one of the side effects indicated that it could make anxiety worse, but I didn't have that problem at all. It definitely helps with depression and lifting my mood. It's not a "happy pill," but it is good with getting and keeping you going and not letting depression ruin you and keep you from doing what needs to be done and living your life."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication."

Helijen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all."

Alex4343 February 26, 2017

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's always been effective. However, every so often I get a bottle that smells odd. I took it to the pharmacy and he noticed too. I told him I'd never noticed it before and he seemed puzzled by it also. I worry there are bad batches or tampered with prescriptions. It's not all the time it happened in 2014 also."

Californian (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on 150MG XL for 6 months now. I was prescribed it because of the death of my teenage son and also the end of a relationship. I was diagnosed with moderate depression. I felt like a zombie with very little motivation. I always work out and have managed to stay active but still things were not right. I went on this and it has made all the difference. I will agree there is apathy while on it. The highs are not as high but the lows are not as low. You just have a quiet balance in your life and it does not feel like you are on any sort of medication. I attempted to go off of it and could already tell I felt sad so trying another 6 months. I did not lose any weight but I am pretty thin already. Wonderful medicine for me."

OnTheRunJG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2017

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Day 1 of taking Wellbutrin XL, I was the most positive I've been in a long time. I had a very vivid colorful dream that first night, the first time I've ever dreamt in color (that I can remember). The dreams subsided after day one, but the medication continued to make me feel better. I'm about 2 months in, and it's been absolutely amazing in treating my depression. My motivation has drastically skyrocketed, and I feel more positive and optimistic about life."

Al82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dr. switched me from 20mg generic Lexapro to 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL HCL (bupropion) because I felt a lack of energy on the Lexapro. I didn't notice any change of energy level with the Wellbutrin, but had many side effects: significant weight gain (30 lbs in 8 months) despite it being "weight neutral"; constant headaches, joint pain, muscle ache, stomach pain, blurry vision, constipation and sleep disturbances. Switched from CVS pharmacy to Publix pharmacy and pills were different (small white round at CVS, large white oblong at Publix). Switching to new generic only made side effects worse. Went back to the generic Lexapro and after 3 weeks, all symptoms ceased and weight is dropping back off. Wellbutrin is not for me."

JaxLaurie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for so many years that I can't remember when I started it. It has been the only med that has really worked for me. I tried generic bupropion and cannot take it because it upsets my stomach and does not have the same effect on my mood or emotions. Now I am in a quandry. In March I go on Medicare and was already told that Medicare will not pay for Wellbutrin. I don't know what to do. For about 2 years I have been getting it through the manufacturer's discount program, but once I go on Medicare, I can't get it through the manufacturer either. This really stinks! I hope someone has a solution because I cannot afford $1,500/month for a prescription!"

GrammyH64 (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started out on generic XL 150mg/day taken in am. After 2 weeks, started seeing results; feeling great all day with occasional depression at the end of day. Doc increased to XL 300 mg/day. Big improvement - more energy/motivation, no problem with any side effects except for welcomed weight loss! Dropped 18 lbs in two months. Real easy to diet on this med!"

JJ - male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with SSRIs have been terrible. I've been on Cipralex and Sertraline and they haven't worked at all. My doctor was really excited for me to try this one and I finally caved. The first few days were normal and the side effects were minimal (dry mouth, constipation, low appetite, a bit of drowsiness) but that all was manageable and went away pretty quickly. By the 9th day, I woke up and I just knew something was different. It's like my eyes were open and I had my life back. Having had depression for about a year, I always felt this grey cloud and weight constantly taking over my body and life. By the 7th week, mood + motivation was wonderfully back. I have my life back. Please try this if you can."

WellbutrinSavedMyLife November 27, 2016

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ive had mild to severe depression my whole life... i was on Prozac from high school to my early 20's. When I was pregnant with my first child i stop taking my Prozac. A year ago I knew it was time to get back on something because my depression was creeping back in... I spoke to my OB/GYN and she suggested Wellbutin XL and OMG! So grateful that she suggested this... I started with 300mg and now a year and a half later im on 450mgs. And let me be honest.... losing 35lbs because of this medication is a PLUS especially for my depression!"

Thank God for Wellbutrin November 8, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi, I was prescribed generic Wellbutrin XL back in mid-August. I was diagnosed with ADHD, Anxiety, and Depression. For the depression it really did work, I didn'tI get board of somethings as I used to and when I skipped a day I could tell. As for the ADHD part, I feel like it helped a little, I got terrible grades in high school and didn't like doing homework. I'm a freshman in college and now have straight A's, I feel as if the medicine has helped me stay focused on my academic goals I have set but lately I've been unmotivated so I had a check up with my doctor and she wanted to know if I wanted to try something else so I said yes and she prescribed me Escitalopram. I would recommend Wellbutrin, it helped me."

Pudnite (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My depression is more work related as I'm a happy camper when I don't have to work, but I get nasty and temperamental at work. Also I wanted to quit smoking. I take the generic brand since I'm VA so I have no choice but it works fine! I am much easier to get along with at work, I have quit smoking (YAY!!) and I have zero side effects. Some may say I'm sleeping more than usual, but I'm OK with that."

iskinder September 18, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this generic bupropion XL 300 mg for a little over a year now. I was prescribed this for depression and an anti-smoking aid but it has no effect on stopping the desires of me wanting to have cigarettes. It's not helping with my depression. I feel sluggish and tired all day. Depression almost seems worse the days I do take it versus when I don't. sex drive hasn't been this low since like "ever"!. I'm probably going to discontinue it. If it's not helping it can only be hurting right? I can only get what the doctors are willing to prescribe me, but most the time it's garbage. I'm prescribed hydroxizine for sleep & anxiety. Thats garbage too, but whole dif story."

TDP 714 September 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Initially this medicine seemed to work well for me and it made me feel good...so to speak. But all of a sudden , and I do believe it was Wellbutrin XL, I started tripping the f out....I had dreams that were almost real full of insane anxiety, like the inside of my body was shaking and i could feel my teeth make a noise bumping together super fast....I was having imaginations of people above me using dangerous weapons on me through the ceiling and I was not to move out of my bed like I was tied down there forever. I had the most insane trips ever...I had dreams where I had to act certain ways or I was to be punished, it was truly insane... one time I was in my room and I swore I heard rap music and gangsters outside and no one was outside."

Not Sureh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day for 9 years, the brand only (I have done some personal research about brands versus generics and do not believe that generics are as good, effective, or reliable as brands). This medication saved my life, so I guess that I was lucky that it suited me. Within the first year I remember having a dry mouth, more energy, loss of appetite, and a weight loss. With time these side effects stopped. I have now no side effects, and what this medication clearly helped me with is to still feel myself and going through my emotions without falling into the hole of depression. So I feel functional, which was not the case before taking it (for example satying in bed because of feeling a deep sadness etc...)."

Edna323 July 22, 2016

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this during a time that I felt like I was at the end of my rope and frantic to find something to help me feel better (I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor). I started at 150mg XL (moved to 300 after 2 weeks) and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but I feel like it helped me wake up in the morning. It did slightly elevate my anxiety, but that subsided as well. I really recommend this medication! I only stopped because I found that it made my Vyvanse less effective (prescribed later on). I still am conflicted about, since this mediation was a GAME CHANGER"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It worked great at first; before taking wellbutrin I was depressed, had no energy and slept 12 hours a day, after taking wellbutrin I felt good, had plenty of motivation and slept a lot less. After about 3 weeks of taking it I was starting to sleep less and less. Eventually I went over 60 hours without sleep, it was awful! I might have been awake for longer if I didn't pick up a prescription for zopiclone. They only gave me 10 tablets so I hope I can get to sleep on my own by then."

gekosaurus July 6, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Absolutely recommended if your body does not like SSRIs. This medicine has helped me AMAZINGLY--before taking it, I was experiencing ridiculous mood swings going between anxious and having panic attacks to depressed and crying. This medicine has given me my life back. I am no longer trapped in the hole of depression and my anxiety, while still present, has gone from being this massive panic to contained, manageable, and approachable anxiety. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a stimulant, and because of this, it does make you feel stimulated. I've noticed some muscle weakness, but that's it. I switched to xl and I'm not sure how I like it yet--it seems like the releases are kind of random. Take early if you can so you can sleep! :)"

Anonymous June 25, 2016

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg recently after being off of it for almost a year. During that year I found myself dropping my kids off at school and coming home and sleeping all day. I stopped taking it because my insurance would no longer cover the brand name. After being on and off of this drug for many years I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between generic and brand. When I took bupropion I was very short tempered, irritable and my hair started to fall out! This is not listed as a side effect and my doctor and pharmacist also assured me this is not a known side effect. After some research I found many women have hair loss on bupropion. For me its worth the $ to pay for brand name."

cat480 June 8, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on generic Wellbutrin xl 300 for 12 years . I was trying to quit smoking & this was recommended as it was also being marketed as Zyban at the time. For me, it helped with cravings and depression and I've never picked up another cigarette. There are 2 things that bother me. I cannot sleep without also taking Trazodone. I just drift in and out of a light sleep otherwise. The other thing that may or may not be related to WB is that I have chronic constipation. I say may or may not because I'm scared to get off of WB to see if that's what's causing it. Different drugs work differently on different people of course but, like another person suggested, it also kept me from gaining weight until menopause. Hope this helps."

lillytree63 (taken for 10 years or more) June 5, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, I was on this antidepressant, along with Zoloft. It gave me manic symptoms, so beware for those who may have undiagnosed Bipolar. Plus, on 300 mg, I felt terrible, as if I was sped up. Physically, it made my heart race and caused agitation. Lowering the dose to 150 mg was better physically (before being diagnosed by Bipolar, but then I was taken off of it completely). Whether on 150mg or 300 mg, I noticed insomnia. I have also heard other people say this who aren't Bipolar, although I'm sure for some, this works wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016