User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

Wellbutrin XL has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 251 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 64% of those users who reviewed Wellbutrin XL reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Laura May 1, 2021

“I was given Wellbutrin XL in addition to Zoloft to help treat depression and help with ADHD. It took me a good 4 weeks of regular use to make a decision if I was happy with it or not. I almost quit a week in, 2 weeks, 3 weeks in because I was feeling numb. I had to make myself laugh. I was boring to be around. But then literally one morning about a month into it, I noticed immediately. I was motivated, hopeful, focused, could think clearly. I could hear myself thinking. And actively planning and executing. I thought maybe for a few days I was just having good days but it's been like this ever since. Sure, I still have low days or not so great weeks but that's being human and I can get through it. Overall, I'm so glad I stick with it. Please note that I did not have suicidal thoughts or was in a deep low spot. I was just, numb. So don't think I dealt with suicidal thoughts and pushed through it. Please talk to your Dr if you feel lower after beginning the med.”

Ajay · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2021

“I started taking Wellbutrin XL for depression and ADHD. It helped greatly with focus and depression , I could pay attention in meetings , could read books better, felt less depressed. It made me feel really good after taking it for a month or so. But after a month, I had severe constipation, difficulty evacuating bowels almost to the point of getting hemorrhoids and excessive pain while passing stools. I do not want to stop taking it because it definitely makes me feel better but I cannot live with the constipation and hence will have to stop. My doctor has prescribed Prozac for depression, and I will start that this week and see if it works for me. But if people don’t face constipation and other side effects, this is a very good drug to treat ADHD and depression. Hope they make a new version without the side effects.”

NH February 17, 2021

“I’ve been on Wellbutrin XL for about 5 months. I started at 150 mg SR. The first few days I noticed a big increase in anxiety but only twice it was intense enough that I couldn’t function. After a few weeks and a follow up with my GP, we switched to 150 XL and it helped as it’s a slower release. The positive side effects definitely outnumbered the negative. I almost immediately felt more energy and couldn’t stay in bed all day if I’d wanted to (this had been an issue for me), I had more motivation and a bit more focus. I’d been on Cipralex for years previously and found it took the edge off my irritability and managing mood swings but wasn’t a significant change. My GP and I were drawn to the weight loss side effect as I’ve put on 60 pounds over 8 years and two pregnancies. I did not see any difference in weight even with an increase in energy. All in all I like Wellbutrin and it has more pros than cons.”

Max · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2020

“Real and honest review. I’m a 52 yo male living in Canada. I’ve been suffering from Anxiety/ADD/Depression forever. I resisted and procrastinated to take meds again for “years” because of not so great experiences with SSRI’s but also because I read way too much online which scared me off. So I suffered for years until one really bad episode that forced me to take action. I asked my doc to give me Wellbutrin (Bupropion) since it had the least negative reviews (from my years of online self-help nonsense). Started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for 3 weeks then 300 mg plus 10mg of Citalopram ever since . It’s been LIFE CHANGING really! It’s crazy how I can finally function like a normal human being. I swore to myself that I would write a review here if I found the remedy to my suffering, so here it is. Wellbutrin XL 300mg+10mg of Citalopram has worked “wonders” for me. No more Anxiety, very low ADD and NO MORE depression I really hope this helps a few of you out there.”

Browntrout · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 27, 2020

“I always had a funk before I started taking Wellbuitrin. It was an underlining stress that I couldn't kick. It was hard to manage my stressful job and family. Wellbutrin has literally changed my life in so many positive ways. I manage stresses better, the feeling of a looming funk is gone and I've gotten really into running and lost a lot of weight. After about 2 years of being on Wellbutrin I slowly stopped taking it. After a few months of not being off of it I could feel familiar old feelings coming back. I've decided I like who I am better on Wellbutrin and started taking it again. Long story short I've very happy with this medication.”

AJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2020

“I took Wellbutrin XL for 6 months, the first 3 months my dose was 150mg, the last 3 months dose was 300mg. I was taking it for anxiety and depression. Took a little getting used to, but nothing terrible. In the 6 months I went from 150 lbs to 128 lbs (part of it was appetite-suppressant, part was that I had the energy to go out and do things/exercise). When I was at 150mg I had more anxiety attacks, but when I went to 300mg I felt like a normal human being (still having panic attacks, but they were due to being in a bad relationship). I loved this medication, only got off because I am now pregnant and didn’t want to worry about whether it was safe for the baby or not. Will be going back on once my baby is born.”

Michigan Girl November 20, 2019

“I have been clinically depressed at various times in my life (postpartum and SAD) but have avoided medication for it. Recently I’ve been weepy, couldn’t get moving, and chores/phone calls/bills began piling up - No energy to deal with life. I talked to my GP who suggested Wellbutrin. I was hesitant but desperate to function again. It worked within a week. I am on 150 mg, XR. I was diagnosed with ADD as a young adult, and Wellbutrin is like the gentler, kinder version of Adderall. I have focus, can complete tasks, am happier. I have energy and willpower to exercise (instead of thinking about it all day and then feeling guilty for not doing it). I have less of an appetite, but not because I feel manically energetic/hyped up/shaky...Binging (which I did before) is not even a thought in my head. I’ve been on Wellbutrin for two and a half months, lost about 12 lbs. I would like to take Wellbutrin for the rest of my life - never felt this calm, even and steady, and capable.”

Boog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2020

“I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mgs for about a year now and I've gotta say it's worked wonders for me. I was on Lexapro a few years ago and stopped taking it because the weight gain and zero sex drive was bringing me down. I wasn't taking any antidepressants for a year and a half and still couldn't lose the weight. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, which I was nervous about at first because I also have generalized anxiety disorder and I read that it could exaggerate it. The first month I had splitting headaches and was only sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night. Since then, things have obviously evened out, but it did take a few weeks. I feel great now, I'm energetic and passionate about things I haven't been in years. I started at 168lbs and have lost 30 pounds; I'm officially down to my pre-lexapro weight. I'm so glad that this medicine works for me, it's made such a huge difference in my day to day!”

Grateful_Bread · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2019

“I am prescribed 150 mg of XL and it has been a God-send. I could not get out of bed, no sex drive, thoughts about suicide and I burned some work bridges with adjusting firms that I was working for bc I was suffering silently. I was also living in filth (by myself which didn't help matters) I was diagnosed with depression and began this med immediately. Now as soon as I wake up (fully erect again mind you) I am ready to tackle the day. I am in a great mood and am very hopeful for the future. I have a 1973 VW bus that I bought as a project and it sat the last 6 months. In the last few weeks I have done more to it than I have since I bought it. The magic bus is running again. Sort of a metaphor for my life. I moved out of the apartment as I had some dark memories there. I feel like my old self again and have my life back! I hope the same happens for any of you suffering with this affliction. Keep on truckin!!!”

MJ February 6, 2021

“I was diagnosed with Bipolar II and C-PTSD in 2015. I tried a handful of different medications, but I was also dependent on alcohol. I stopped drinking August 2020 and soon after went med-free (supervised) to see where I was at. What appeared to come about was depression mostly. When I started 150mg buproprion HCL XL, within 48 hrs I felt more energy, more activated emotions, less fog. It caused me to be more agitated and angry at first, but I knew it was because I was coming from complete numbness to actually having some feelings. I am now a month in and I feel happy about where I am with my mood. I say definitely give it a chance, especially if you are not a fan of SSRIs. Give it a few weeks and log your feelings. Being on this is far better than where I was in my depression. I wanted to share my experience and feelings because it has given me some hope and I want to share that with others.”

slh182 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2019

“I have been on hundreds of anti depressants since I was 14 (I am 37 now), and Wellbutrin is by far the best one I have taken. It helps motivate me and gets me out of bed in the morning. Before Wellbutrin I always felt sluggish when I first woke up but now I am up bright and early in the morning with tons of energy thanks to Wellbutrin. Before starting it I had spent days in bed with absolutely no energy and feeling hopeless about life but Wellbutrin put an end to that. I’m hardly ever depressed now, I have loads of energy and motivation and suicidal thoughts have disappeared. In the past the antidepressants that did work took months to feel the effects but Wellbutrin started working within 4 days! I am so happy that after struggling with depression for 23 years I have finally found my miracle anti depressant.”

RedmondGemm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2014

“I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1996 soon after moving to Seattle. In hindsight, I've been *depressed* for most of the past 20 yrs. The long, dark Seattle winters didn't help, so I'm sure I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, too. I avoided taking antidepressants all these years, fearing side effects, weight gain and turning into an emotionless zombie. NONE of these things happened when I started on Wellbutrin XL-150 mg. Instead, immediately after taking my first couple of doses, something miraculous happened: my 17-yr struggle with bladder incontinence COMPLETELY disappeared. I have my pre-Multiple Sclerosis bladder back! I'm also STRONGER on my bike than EVER (I'm an avid cyclist), sleeping great, dreaming vividly, losing weight and interested in sex like never before. MIRACLE MEDICINE (for me)!”

Tami December 15, 2019

“I have taken Wellbutrin on and off again over several years. I suffer mostly from seasonal depression. I just started taking it again having been off of it for a year. The results have been great. I immediately felt better. I really just need to take this consistently. It’s help also relieve my anxiety, given me a lot of energy, helps me focus, gives me a positive outlook, and confidence. Also gives me what I call a burst of happiness. A huge difference on the first day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2021

“I've tried almost every other selective reuptake Inhibitor and a few different tricyclic antidepressants for moderate depression and severe anxiety. This Wellbutrin XL is the first one that hasn't increased my anxiety and has actually helped. Currently on 450mg extended release.”

Alexa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

“After taking Lexapro, I gained weight. Did not take anything for more than a year until the depression relapse began. The doctor prescribed Wellbutrin. The first 3 weeks there were bouts of anger. Waited for it to pass. Then began daily tears, and dark thoughts. The condition is worse than before taking the medicine. I gave up and after a few days - another person. I do not recommend it. It was a terrible experience for me.”

Hey1234 · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2014

“This is the best thing ever. I was suffering from no desire to go to work, I couldn't wake up, I was always late, I lost my motivation to accomplish things, I was anti-social and really just hating myself and life. I was also flustered, confused, feeling out of control and miserable. I started Wellbutrin and by the third day I could REALLY feel the difference. My mind starter to clear, I wasn't hazy, my motivation was back and I could wake up early. This has been an answer to prayers. The study of the brain and body with science is amazing. I'm very thankful.”

J Cline June 20, 2019

“I'm late 40s, female, married with kids. My doc cycled me through just about every antidepressant out there (and no generics either, just the straight stuff) but they all killed my libido stone dead. Then we got to Wellbutrin XL, 150 then 300mg/day. I noticed the new, improved sexy me within the first week. Honestly I have never been this quick or easy to satisfy... husband and I both love it. He adores pleasing and on this drug, I just about wear him out. 3-4 times a week which is 3-4 times better than before! I also have lost a lot of appetite since going on Wellbutrin XL, created some unexpected weight loss. I can see where this works for weight loss or quitting bad habits. I don't crave anything now... except sex, lol. It doesn't do much for anxiety, but works well for the depressive component. For anxiety the best for me was Pristiq, but that was a libido-killer. No anti-depression drug is perfect for everyone. This worked the best for me, though.”

Helijen · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2017

“This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication.”

WellbutrinSavedMyLife November 27, 2016

“My experience with SSRIs have been terrible. I've been on Cipralex and Sertraline and they haven't worked at all. My doctor was really excited for me to try this one and I finally caved. The first few days were normal and the side effects were minimal (dry mouth, constipation, low appetite, a bit of drowsiness) but that all was manageable and went away pretty quickly. By the 9th day, I woke up and I just knew something was different. It's like my eyes were open and I had my life back. Having had depression for about a year, I always felt this grey cloud and weight constantly taking over my body and life. By the 7th week, mood + motivation was wonderfully back. I have my life back. Please try this if you can.”

Al82 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2017

“Day 1 of taking Wellbutrin XL, I was the most positive I've been in a long time. I had a very vivid colorful dream that first night, the first time I've ever dreamt in color (that I can remember). The dreams subsided after day one, but the medication continued to make me feel better. I'm about 2 months in, and it's been absolutely amazing in treating my depression. My motivation has drastically skyrocketed, and I feel more positive and optimistic about life.”

am49 September 19, 2014

“This medication has worked miracles for me. It has very few side effects and WORKS. One of the best things about it is no weight gain - it can actually cause you to lose weight! If you've got depression, I would definitely recommend Wellbutrin XL.”

gmr · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

“I've been taking 150mg Wellbutrin for almost 5 months and I love it. I have persistent depressive disorder and I feel that this has helped me get out of bed and feel more motivated to socialize, workout, and do work. I do feel that it worked best the first 2-3 months I took it, and will likely be increasing my dosage soon.”

stephlyudmila January 26, 2018

“I started taking this when I felt like I was at the end of my rope and was frantic to find something to help me feel better. I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor. I started at 150mg XL and moved to 300 after 2 weeks. I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but still I feel like it helps me wake up in the morning. It slightly elevated my anxiety at first, but that subsided as well. This medication worked really well for me.”

Vinylfind · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2015

“Update: checking in on week 5 at 300mg of generic XL made by Par Pharmacuticals. I can't say enough positive things about this medicine. I have had practically no bad side effects except a slightly more noticible 'ringing' in my ears. It is not bothersome and I only notice it it complete silence. On the plus side is virtually a new outlook on life, absence of any sad or hopeless feelings, reduced anxiety, tons of all day energy, focus, and enthusiasm, increased libido, desired weight loss and a shift in personality. I feel like I did when I was younger and full of hope, plans, and happy to greet the day. My jobs are more fulfilling, relationships improved, confidence restored. People notice! I had no idea I was that depressed. Amazing!”

21855000906992 · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

“I would have given this a 10 but I’ve only been on it a week so far. I take one in the morning as it is time released. I am so elated though because for years I’ve been on different medications for depression and anxiety and this one has really improved my quality of life. Even after a week on the others I had side effects and it didn’t seem to help. Hoping this will continue as I feel more alive my appetite and sleeping has improved and my outlook has greatly improved. Of course, eating healthy and exercise and even your spiritual life play into this. I’ve read that different medications help different people and this one is certainly helping me hope the same goes for you have a wonderful day!”

Alex4343 February 26, 2017

“This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all.”

Optimistic Very February 17, 2016

“I have anxiety and depression. I tried SSRIs and they just masked the depression and caused sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL helped me feel much better and I didn't have negative sexual side effects. Best sex I've ever had on Wellbutrin XL. Now with the future I think about, feel optimistic about and am planning for it . I don't have anxiety like I had. I am more philosophical, "Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm motivated to accomplish things. I wish I had found this med years ago.”

Gonewiththewind78 April 26, 2014

“I was under severe anxiety and depression from intolerable conditions at a hostile job for years until I was so sick their antics pushed me to go. I then went into a deep depression sleeping a ton having lack of energy feeling like nothing was ever going to be right again. I withdrew myself from family, friends and activities. I finally decided to go on Wellbutrin XL after talking it over with my psych because I have multiple health problems and couldn't take other kinds of antidepressants. It saved my life. No weight gain. I'm focused alert not depressed happy and have a job again. I am visiting family and friends too. Not sleeping a lot anymore. Try it.”