User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for over 3 years. The reason for my review is recently I've been feeling more "down" lately and wondering whether this drug has run its course with me. Before Wellbutrin I was taking Effexor and it made me feel fantastic. I stopped Effexor because the longer I took it the more side effects it had. If I didn't take Effexor at the same time each day or god forbid- forget it, I would be dizzy and sweating. I like Wellbutrin because I don't feel any side effects. No weight gain, no sexual disfunction. I would like to find another drug for depression that works well and has little side effects. Any suggestions?"

Jube jube August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on medicine 150 for less than a week. I feel a little high, anxious, nervousness. But that is a relief compared to the last year sleeping upwards of 20 hours a day with no will to live. I took 300 mg. 10 years ago and lost 35 lbs within months. Already 4 days in I'm down 3 lbs quit smoking and keep trying to nap because of habit but can't sleep my life away. Thank god. I feel a little manic at times but remember this from before it will wear off. I already got up last 2 days and exercised haven't done that in 3 years. I'll report feeling in few months once I'm up to 300mg and stable. 1st day in 3 years where I'm not feeling dread."

AngeLuvsU (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had depression for over 15 years. Started because I was in a bad marriage. Then with my divorce and loosing my job after 25 years my depression has just sky rocketed. I am seeing a psychiatrist and she has had to increase my Wellbutrin to 400mg a day and I have noticed a big difference. The only concern they have with giving me that much is the seizures side affects are much higher. But I'm being monitored and been taking them for a month and so far the only side affects I notice is frequent need to urinate, Confusion, headache, skin rash, hives, or itching, dry mouth and honestly I can live with those! I get suicidal thoughts when I'm not on them and have tempted suicide a few times."

MariaMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on it for one week. 150XL dry mouth. Lost voice. Insomnia. But I was up and Adam chipper and slaying at work!!!! Like being on speed!!!! Went down to 75mg to try and see if helped. ...Constant muscle spasms and a feeling of hypertension in my arms. Heart rate seems higher. Just feel not worth it. Plus did u see the withdraw experiences? Atrocious. Getting off before it's too late. Don't need high blood pressure this young."

Periwinkles (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on 150mg for three weeks then went up to 300mg for a week. Had to stop taking it. Had a weird experience where I was standing beside a running shower; just standing there in a daze. Not for like 10 seconds, but standing there, standing there... That was the last time I took them, now on Lexapro."

TriedWell (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

"Constipation"

Anonymous May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is very activating without making me anxious. I take it for depression, but I also have general anxiety disorder, and OCD. I was a little worried about taking it at first because one of the side effects indicated that it could make anxiety worse, but I didn't have that problem at all. It definitely helps with depression and lifting my mood. It's not a "happy pill," but it is good with getting and keeping you going and not letting depression ruin you and keep you from doing what needs to be done and living your life."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication."

Helijen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all."

Alex4343 February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's always been effective. However, every so often I get a bottle that smells odd. I took it to the pharmacy and he noticed too. I told him I'd never noticed it before and he seemed puzzled by it also. I worry there are bad batches or tampered with prescriptions. It's not all the time it happened in 2014 also."

Californian (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 150MG XL for 6 months now. I was prescribed it because of the death of my teenage son and also the end of a relationship. I was diagnosed with moderate depression. I felt like a zombie with very little motivation. I always work out and have managed to stay active but still things were not right. I went on this and it has made all the difference. I will agree there is apathy while on it. The highs are not as high but the lows are not as low. You just have a quiet balance in your life and it does not feel like you are on any sort of medication. I attempted to go off of it and could already tell I felt sad so trying another 6 months. I did not lose any weight but I am pretty thin already. Wonderful medicine for me."

OnTheRunJG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 1 of taking Wellbutrin XL, I was the most positive I've been in a long time. I had a very vivid colorful dream that first night, the first time I've ever dreamt in color (that I can remember). The dreams subsided after day one, but the medication continued to make me feel better. I'm about 2 months in, and it's been absolutely amazing in treating my depression. My motivation has drastically skyrocketed, and I feel more positive and optimistic about life."

Al82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr. switched me from 20mg generic Lexapro to 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL HCL (bupropion) because I felt a lack of energy on the Lexapro. I didn't notice any change of energy level with the Wellbutrin, but had many side effects: significant weight gain (30 lbs in 8 months) despite it being "weight neutral"; constant headaches, joint pain, muscle ache, stomach pain, blurry vision, constipation and sleep disturbances. Switched from CVS pharmacy to Publix pharmacy and pills were different (small white round at CVS, large white oblong at Publix). Switching to new generic only made side effects worse. Went back to the generic Lexapro and after 3 weeks, all symptoms ceased and weight is dropping back off. Wellbutrin is not for me."

JaxLaurie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for so many years that I can't remember when I started it. It has been the only med that has really worked for me. I tried generic bupropion and cannot take it because it upsets my stomach and does not have the same effect on my mood or emotions. Now I am in a quandry. In March I go on Medicare and was already told that Medicare will not pay for Wellbutrin. I don't know what to do. For about 2 years I have been getting it through the manufacturer's discount program, but once I go on Medicare, I can't get it through the manufacturer either. This really stinks! I hope someone has a solution because I cannot afford $1,500/month for a prescription!"

GrammyH64 (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started out on generic XL 150mg/day taken in am. After 2 weeks, started seeing results; feeling great all day with occasional depression at the end of day. Doc increased to XL 300 mg/day. Big improvement - more energy/motivation, no problem with any side effects except for welcomed weight loss! Dropped 18 lbs in two months. Real easy to diet on this med!"

JJ - male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with SSRIs have been terrible. I've been on Cipralex and Sertraline and they haven't worked at all. My doctor was really excited for me to try this one and I finally caved. The first few days were normal and the side effects were minimal (dry mouth, constipation, low appetite, a bit of drowsiness) but that all was manageable and went away pretty quickly. By the 9th day, I woke up and I just knew something was different. It's like my eyes were open and I had my life back. Having had depression for about a year, I always felt this grey cloud and weight constantly taking over my body and life. By the 7th week, mood + motivation was wonderfully back. I have my life back. Please try this if you can."

WellbutrinSavedMyLife November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ive had mild to severe depression my whole life... i was on Prozac from high school to my early 20's. When I was pregnant with my first child i stop taking my Prozac. A year ago I knew it was time to get back on something because my depression was creeping back in... I spoke to my OB/GYN and she suggested Wellbutin XL and OMG! So grateful that she suggested this... I started with 300mg and now a year and a half later im on 450mgs. And let me be honest.... losing 35lbs because of this medication is a PLUS especially for my depression!"

Thank God for Wellbutrin November 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I was prescribed generic Wellbutrin XL back in mid-August. I was diagnosed with ADHD, Anxiety, and Depression. For the depression it really did work, I didn'tI get board of somethings as I used to and when I skipped a day I could tell. As for the ADHD part, I feel like it helped a little, I got terrible grades in high school and didn't like doing homework. I'm a freshman in college and now have straight A's, I feel as if the medicine has helped me stay focused on my academic goals I have set but lately I've been unmotivated so I had a check up with my doctor and she wanted to know if I wanted to try something else so I said yes and she prescribed me Escitalopram. I would recommend Wellbutrin, it helped me."

Pudnite (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My depression is more work related as I'm a happy camper when I don't have to work, but I get nasty and temperamental at work. Also I wanted to quit smoking. I take the generic brand since I'm VA so I have no choice but it works fine! I am much easier to get along with at work, I have quit smoking (YAY!!) and I have zero side effects. Some may say I'm sleeping more than usual, but I'm OK with that."

iskinder September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this generic bupropion XL 300 mg for a little over a year now. I was prescribed this for depression and an anti-smoking aid but it has no effect on stopping the desires of me wanting to have cigarettes. It's not helping with my depression. I feel sluggish and tired all day. Depression almost seems worse the days I do take it versus when I don't. sex drive hasn't been this low since like "ever"!. I'm probably going to discontinue it. If it's not helping it can only be hurting right? I can only get what the doctors are willing to prescribe me, but most the time it's garbage. I'm prescribed hydroxizine for sleep & anxiety. Thats garbage too, but whole dif story."

TDP 714 September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Initially this medicine seemed to work well for me and it made me feel good...so to speak. But all of a sudden , and I do believe it was Wellbutrin XL, I started tripping the f out....I had dreams that were almost real full of insane anxiety, like the inside of my body was shaking and i could feel my teeth make a noise bumping together super fast....I was having imaginations of people above me using dangerous weapons on me through the ceiling and I was not to move out of my bed like I was tied down there forever. I had the most insane trips ever...I had dreams where I had to act certain ways or I was to be punished, it was truly insane... one time I was in my room and I swore I heard rap music and gangsters outside and no one was outside."

Not Sureh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day for 9 years, the brand only (I have done some personal research about brands versus generics and do not believe that generics are as good, effective, or reliable as brands). This medication saved my life, so I guess that I was lucky that it suited me. Within the first year I remember having a dry mouth, more energy, loss of appetite, and a weight loss. With time these side effects stopped. I have now no side effects, and what this medication clearly helped me with is to still feel myself and going through my emotions without falling into the hole of depression. So I feel functional, which was not the case before taking it (for example satying in bed because of feeling a deep sadness etc...)."

Edna323 July 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this during a time that I felt like I was at the end of my rope and frantic to find something to help me feel better (I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor). I started at 150mg XL (moved to 300 after 2 weeks) and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but I feel like it helped me wake up in the morning. It did slightly elevate my anxiety, but that subsided as well. I really recommend this medication! I only stopped because I found that it made my Vyvanse less effective (prescribed later on). I still am conflicted about, since this mediation was a GAME CHANGER"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked great at first; before taking wellbutrin I was depressed, had no energy and slept 12 hours a day, after taking wellbutrin I felt good, had plenty of motivation and slept a lot less. After about 3 weeks of taking it I was starting to sleep less and less. Eventually I went over 60 hours without sleep, it was awful! I might have been awake for longer if I didn't pick up a prescription for zopiclone. They only gave me 10 tablets so I hope I can get to sleep on my own by then."

gekosaurus July 6, 2016