User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"Day 1 of taking Wellbutrin XL, I was the most positive I've been in a long time. I had a very vivid colorful dream that first night, the first time I've ever dreamt in color (that I can remember). The dreams subsided after day one, but the medication continued to make me feel better. I'm about 2 months in, and it's been absolutely amazing in treating my depression. My motivation has drastically skyrocketed, and I feel more positive and optimistic about life."

Al82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"Dr. switched me from 20mg generic Lexapro to 300mg of generic Wellbutrin XL HCL (bupropion) because I felt a lack of energy on the Lexapro. I didn't notice any change of energy level with the Wellbutrin, but had many side effects: significant weight gain (30 lbs in 8 months) despite it being "weight neutral"; constant headaches, joint pain, muscle ache, stomach pain, blurry vision, constipation and sleep disturbances. Switched from CVS pharmacy to Publix pharmacy and pills were different (small white round at CVS, large white oblong at Publix). Switching to new generic only made side effects worse. Went back to the generic Lexapro and after 3 weeks, all symptoms ceased and weight is dropping back off. Wellbutrin is not for me."

JaxLaurie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for so many years that I can't remember when I started it. It has been the only med that has really worked for me. I tried generic bupropion and cannot take it because it upsets my stomach and does not have the same effect on my mood or emotions. Now I am in a quandry. In March I go on Medicare and was already told that Medicare will not pay for Wellbutrin. I don't know what to do. For about 2 years I have been getting it through the manufacturer's discount program, but once I go on Medicare, I can't get it through the manufacturer either. This really stinks! I hope someone has a solution because I cannot afford $1,500/month for a prescription!"

GrammyH64 (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2016

"Started out on generic XL 150mg/day taken in am. After 2 weeks, started seeing results; feeling great all day with occasional depression at the end of day. Doc increased to XL 300 mg/day. Big improvement - more energy/motivation, no problem with any side effects except for welcomed weight loss! Dropped 18 lbs in two months. Real easy to diet on this med!"

JJ - male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

"My experience with SSRIs have been terrible. I've been on Cipralex and Sertraline and they haven't worked at all. My doctor was really excited for me to try this one and I finally caved. The first few days were normal and the side effects were minimal (dry mouth, constipation, low appetite, a bit of drowsiness) but that all was manageable and went away pretty quickly. By the 9th day, I woke up and I just knew something was different. It's like my eyes were open and I had my life back. Having had depression for about a year, I always felt this grey cloud and weight constantly taking over my body and life. By the 7th week, mood + motivation was wonderfully back. I have my life back. Please try this if you can."

WellbutrinSavedMyLife November 27, 2016

"Ive had mild to severe depression my whole life... i was on Prozac from high school to my early 20's. When I was pregnant with my first child i stop taking my Prozac. A year ago I knew it was time to get back on something because my depression was creeping back in... I spoke to my OB/GYN and she suggested Wellbutin XL and OMG! So grateful that she suggested this... I started with 300mg and now a year and a half later im on 450mgs. And let me be honest.... losing 35lbs because of this medication is a PLUS especially for my depression!"

Thank God for Wellbutrin November 8, 2016

"Hi, I was prescribed generic Wellbutrin XL back in mid-August. I was diagnosed with ADHD, Anxiety, and Depression. For the depression it really did work, I didn'tI get board of somethings as I used to and when I skipped a day I could tell. As for the ADHD part, I feel like it helped a little, I got terrible grades in high school and didn't like doing homework. I'm a freshman in college and now have straight A's, I feel as if the medicine has helped me stay focused on my academic goals I have set but lately I've been unmotivated so I had a check up with my doctor and she wanted to know if I wanted to try something else so I said yes and she prescribed me Escitalopram. I would recommend Wellbutrin, it helped me."

Pudnite (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

"My depression is more work related as I'm a happy camper when I don't have to work, but I get nasty and temperamental at work. Also I wanted to quit smoking. I take the generic brand since I'm VA so I have no choice but it works fine! I am much easier to get along with at work, I have quit smoking (YAY!!) and I have zero side effects. Some may say I'm sleeping more than usual, but I'm OK with that."

iskinder September 18, 2016

"I've been taking this generic bupropion XL 300 mg for a little over a year now. I was prescribed this for depression and an anti-smoking aid but it has no effect on stopping the desires of me wanting to have cigarettes. It's not helping with my depression. I feel sluggish and tired all day. Depression almost seems worse the days I do take it versus when I don't. sex drive hasn't been this low since like "ever"!. I'm probably going to discontinue it. If it's not helping it can only be hurting right? I can only get what the doctors are willing to prescribe me, but most the time it's garbage. I'm prescribed hydroxizine for sleep & anxiety. Thats garbage too, but whole dif story."

TDP 714 September 10, 2016

"Initially this medicine seemed to work well for me and it made me feel good...so to speak. But all of a sudden , and I do believe it was Wellbutrin XL, I started tripping the f out....I had dreams that were almost real full of insane anxiety, like the inside of my body was shaking and i could feel my teeth make a noise bumping together super fast....I was having imaginations of people above me using dangerous weapons on me through the ceiling and I was not to move out of my bed like I was tied down there forever. I had the most insane trips ever...I had dreams where I had to act certain ways or I was to be punished, it was truly insane... one time I was in my room and I swore I heard rap music and gangsters outside and no one was outside."

Not Sureh (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day for 9 years, the brand only (I have done some personal research about brands versus generics and do not believe that generics are as good, effective, or reliable as brands). This medication saved my life, so I guess that I was lucky that it suited me. Within the first year I remember having a dry mouth, more energy, loss of appetite, and a weight loss. With time these side effects stopped. I have now no side effects, and what this medication clearly helped me with is to still feel myself and going through my emotions without falling into the hole of depression. So I feel functional, which was not the case before taking it (for example satying in bed because of feeling a deep sadness etc...)."

Edna323 July 22, 2016

"I started taking this during a time that I felt like I was at the end of my rope and frantic to find something to help me feel better (I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor). I started at 150mg XL (moved to 300 after 2 weeks) and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but I feel like it helped me wake up in the morning. It did slightly elevate my anxiety, but that subsided as well. I really recommend this medication! I only stopped because I found that it made my Vyvanse less effective (prescribed later on). I still am conflicted about, since this mediation was a GAME CHANGER"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"It worked great at first; before taking wellbutrin I was depressed, had no energy and slept 12 hours a day, after taking wellbutrin I felt good, had plenty of motivation and slept a lot less. After about 3 weeks of taking it I was starting to sleep less and less. Eventually I went over 60 hours without sleep, it was awful! I might have been awake for longer if I didn't pick up a prescription for zopiclone. They only gave me 10 tablets so I hope I can get to sleep on my own by then."

gekosaurus July 6, 2016

"Absolutely recommended if your body does not like SSRIs. This medicine has helped me AMAZINGLY--before taking it, I was experiencing ridiculous mood swings going between anxious and having panic attacks to depressed and crying. This medicine has given me my life back. I am no longer trapped in the hole of depression and my anxiety, while still present, has gone from being this massive panic to contained, manageable, and approachable anxiety. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a stimulant, and because of this, it does make you feel stimulated. I've noticed some muscle weakness, but that's it. I switched to xl and I'm not sure how I like it yet--it seems like the releases are kind of random. Take early if you can so you can sleep! :)"

Anonymous June 25, 2016

"I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg recently after being off of it for almost a year. During that year I found myself dropping my kids off at school and coming home and sleeping all day. I stopped taking it because my insurance would no longer cover the brand name. After being on and off of this drug for many years I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between generic and brand. When I took bupropion I was very short tempered, irritable and my hair started to fall out! This is not listed as a side effect and my doctor and pharmacist also assured me this is not a known side effect. After some research I found many women have hair loss on bupropion. For me its worth the $ to pay for brand name."

cat480 June 8, 2016

"I've been on generic Wellbutrin xl 300 for 12 years . I was trying to quit smoking & this was recommended as it was also being marketed as Zyban at the time. For me, it helped with cravings and depression and I've never picked up another cigarette. There are 2 things that bother me. I cannot sleep without also taking Trazodone. I just drift in and out of a light sleep otherwise. The other thing that may or may not be related to WB is that I have chronic constipation. I say may or may not because I'm scared to get off of WB to see if that's what's causing it. Different drugs work differently on different people of course but, like another person suggested, it also kept me from gaining weight until menopause. Hope this helps."

lillytree63 (taken for 10 years or more) June 5, 2016

"Before being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, I was on this antidepressant, along with Zoloft. It gave me manic symptoms, so beware for those who may have undiagnosed Bipolar. Plus, on 300 mg, I felt terrible, as if I was sped up. Physically, it made my heart race and caused agitation. Lowering the dose to 150 mg was better physically (before being diagnosed by Bipolar, but then I was taken off of it completely). Whether on 150mg or 300 mg, I noticed insomnia. I have also heard other people say this who aren't Bipolar, although I'm sure for some, this works wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 4, 2016

"After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"Today was the first day I have had to take this medicine, I have already experienced the dry mouth, & not really caring to eat. I am only 20 years old, I've made a lot of dramatic changes in my life in the past month, & I've dealt with depression for a while but was honestly scared to admit it. I have read very many reviews and I am nervous about it, but at the same time I'm pretty happy to see the positive reviews, I'm wanting to feel happy like I should, & do things I want to do without worrying about what thought will ruin my plans for that day. Prayers would be appreciated while I get use to being on this, & start learning if it's for me or not."

Hellokitty♡ April 30, 2016

"26 year old male. Been on it for 31 days. 1st week 150mg xl: high speedy energy. Mild insomnia (up till 3am most nights). Waking early and generally good mood. 2nd week 300mg xl. Very high constant anxiety. Emotional swings. Broke down in tears one day. 3rd week: Things were smoothing out. Still slightly anxious. Less emotional. 4th week: Feeling completely normal almost like I'm not on any medication. More level headed and better mood with less swings. Anxiety disappearing and confidence growing. No side effects. This is in combination with seeking help from a counselor, and confiding with a close friend of mine about how depressed I have been over the years. I am happy I took it. It has got me back on my feet and allowed me to seek help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It takes about 2 weeks to feel Wellbutrin kick in and about a month for it to be full effect. I am on 300 mg a day and take it in the morning only. If you take it too late it will keep you awake. I am on other med for Bipolar that cause weight gain, but this med seems to be the opposite and has actually helped me lose weight. Sometimes the med "runs out" in the afternoon and you can kind of feel the let down. It works great for depression and would be good if used by itself for weight loss. Would recommend using it, but you have to be patient with it."

cash58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

"I was put on this after attempting suicide and being diagnosed with depression, this medication definitely made me stable but I wouldn't necessarily say it was the best one for me. There was still many occasions that I would think about cutting and suicide, although I never took it upon myself to attempt again, I did cut multiple times while on this medication. It worked best for me when it was paired with Zoloft or Prozac."

Erin Lolos March 31, 2016

"I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 mg XL for over 10 years after a major depression. It was very effective at stabilizing my mood. It also helps with my mental concentration and focus. I tried the generic which didn't seem to work as well. I am under extreme stress with a challenging job and s difficult relationship (separated now) because of my partners alcohol abuse. I was very fearful of another episode but so far have managed to remain stable. I would be lost without it."

Skinker (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just switched over to Wellbutrin and so far, so good. I had been on Zoloft for a year, following a diagnosis of depression. Zoloft was just awful for me. The entire time I was on it, I battled chronic fatigue, no libido whatsoever, some memory loss, nerve problems, vertigo...you name it. And on top of all of that I completely stopped working out and put on 30lbs in 10 months. Feel like I am back on the road to being me on Wellbutrin. 150mg XL seems to work for me. Thank God- I was prepared to swear off any and all antidepressants if this didn't work. Also, I haven't drank alcohol for going on 10 years, so if you're sober that eliminates one of the big drawbacks for a lot of people."

DenverGuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I have anxiety and depression. I tried SSRIs and they just masked the depression and caused sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL helped me feel much better and I didn't have negative sexual side effects. Best sex I've ever had on Wellbutrin XL. Now with the future I think about, feel optimistic about and am planning for it . I don't have anxiety like I had. I am more philosophical, "Tomorrow will be a better day. I'm motivated to accomplish things. I wish I had found this med years ago."

Optimistic Very February 17, 2016

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next