User Reviews for Wellbutrin XL (Page 3)

Learn more about Wellbutrin XL.

Wellbutrin XL Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Wellbutrin XL to treat Depression

"I've been on and off this medication but nothing related to the drug. I was diagnosed with dysthymia one year ago and then it aggravated with a major depression so I started sertraline, after the adjustment period it was the best I was always happy with lots of energy, and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months, loved it. then my psych decided to change me to wellbutrin. I felt fine, with energy, and wanting to do stuff. because before I couldnt get up of my bed but, yes I felt the wellbutrin rage (those days when u look like u have PMS), I never lost a single pound on it (which i dont like). But didn't appear to gain more weight either. Lately I'm feeling lightheaded, I dont sleep well cuz the vivid dreams, which makes me tired but the libido is back up"

theDoctorBel (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WellbutrinXL 150mg for 3 weeks. This medication has changed my life. Went to PMC to renew Ritalin prescription after Adult ADD diagnosis. Family history of depression, PSTD (combat-related). Personal history of adolescent drug and alcohol abuse (nothing hard). Held a firm belief depression could be "powered through". Apparently depression has set in at 33, which I treated with Adderral and Ritalin. My drinking got so heavy I fell and suffered a serious concussion. Doctor denied my Ritalin script and prescribed Wellbutrin. Had side effects: severe bloating, headache, pressured speech. All gone. Energy is sky high, focus is on point, and weight is down. Can't say enough about this medication. Hope it stays this amazing forever."

TM123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been battling depression for years now. I am now 42. About 10 years ago, I tried Wellbutrin xl 150mg once a day. It's the only antidepressant I've ever tried and it worked wonders! I wasn't sad anymore, I lost weight and I was happy. Then a few years later, it was changed to generic and life wasn't the same. I was sad all the time, gained weight, basically depressed. Flash forward to a few months ago. Found the Wellbutrin site that's assists with getting the name brand drug for $50 a month. I have now been on Wellbutrin xl 300mg once a day for three months now. I still don't feel as sad or down. Life is definitely looking up more often than not but I have not lost any weight this time, which in turn makes me depressed. I will continue"

bellaboo14 November 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was depressed and sad with no motivation. I had suffered several losses and could not seem to recover. Developed anxiety. I just wanted to be my carefree busy self again. My Dr gave me 100mg Welbutrin. I took it for a few weeks and felt just weird, not better. My Dr suggested I double the dose. ! I took 200mg and immediately felt suicidal. My bf had to restrain me from jumping out the window or slicing my throat. The mist awful feeling of my life. But I learned that compared to that feeling, I wasn't that depressed and I went on trazadone for sleeping issues. Helped greatly. As well as strenuous exercise an hour a day. I'm sure some meds work, but I feel as if you are playing Russian Roulette with your life."

Otter612 October 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on antidepressants for 5 yrs and several of them made me gain weight and I always had this feeling of shakiness. My Dr switched me to a combo of Wellbutrin XL and Prozac 20mg. I've lost like 15 pounds and feel way better!! Made such a huge difference for me in how I feel about myself. I agree with others that have posted, I only take brand name meds. I've heard so many issues with how generics don't work as well. To me, to feel better and finally be able to enjoy life, it is worth it. My two cents..."

No name01... (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg 2 days ago, and almost immediately it has taken my "sadness" away to the point that I don't feel the heaviness on my chest anymore. I even told my Mom that I feel normal -- and this is what normal people feel like. I can honestly say I have been depressed for 3 years after 2 breakups, job/career issues and a death of a friend. I can say I feel no emotions (I guess I have been so sad for so long, I didn't know any other emotion but sadness and depression)."

Elegant Phoenix (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I know it's different for everyone, but this drug brought me from suicidal to actually enjoying life in less than a month. I'm not jumping for joy by any means, but I'm certainly not UNhappy."

Kyle, Age 21 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on wellbutrin XL 300mg for 6 years. After 3 years I started having extreme woozy/lightheaded spells that were ruining my life. Everyone kept blaming it on my anxiety. After three years of hating life I went off of wellbutrin. It took over 30 days before I even started to see relief, but by the 90 day mark I was free from those spells. I have my life back. It would not have gone away. Wellbutrin helps with the kind of depression where you have NO motivation and crave sugar. It will make you dehydrated, constipated, edgy, and a light sleeper that only needs about 6 hours per night. It isn't good for anxiety and will not help it. During the adjustment period you could lose about 10 lbs and have the most vivid nightmares ever."

Sadgirl007 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I really wanted Wellbutrin to work. I was given 150 mg once daily. At first it seemed to be helping with minimal side effects, but about 4 or 5 weeks in I was so depressed and not even getting out of bed. I was so agitated, even with the addition of a mood stabilizer. Wellbutrin was not a pleasant experience for me."

Anon0000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lost 20 pounds unintentionally. Became hostile, psychotic, and dangerous to be around. Body rash, itching, nausea. 300 mg/day. Had to stop after 3 months."

Slergug October 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this drug a few years ago for post partum depression. Was on it for a year and went off. I had severe eye floaters while taking it and when I weened off of it very slowly I had major heart palps, blurry vision, would feel like there was warm water dripping down my leg. It was very weird. However, while on it I did feel better emotionally and lost weight. Recently because of several adverse events in my life I decided to try it again. Again, the eye floaters are back. Had some muscle spasms and shakiness. Right now it's 5:30 in the morning and I've been up since 3:30am. I usually take melatonin and that totally helps but I forgot to take it before bed. However, once again it has helped me emotionally in a big way."

Lee Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on generic Bupropion for almost 2 years (Hcl XL 150 mg) and it was ok. It did help with the depression but towards the end of the day (took pill 7 am) by 5 pm I was feeling down and irritable again, I never really thought about it until everything I've read about the generics having time release issues so I know it's not just me! I def had more energy, and was good during the day, but 5pm I shut down emotionally. I tried switching to generic Bup Hcl XL 300 mg last year but only made it 5 days in before switching back due to anxiety/no sleep side effects. I really hated that my mail order RX company would switch manufacturer of my drug-one bottle was from Global and the next Actavis. Now on brand Wellbutrin XL300mg and hoping it wrks!"

TElizabeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had constant diarrhea, 3-4 times a day. I had a loss of appetite and had gotten to the point that I couldn't stand to even think about food. Thinking about what to eat or cook for my family actually caused anxiety. I lost 10 lbs in 9 nine days. About the 5th or 6th day I started to be unable to sleep during the night. I woke up every hour. During the day I would have waves of nervous energy, almost like the feeling you get when you experience the fight or flight response. The last day I took it I woke up at 4 am with diarrhea, left sided abdominal pain that radiated to my back and shoulder, and heart palpitations. A trip to the ER revealed that I had a large amount of stool and gas in my colon. I had a miserable experience with Wellbutrin"

Nervous Nelly 304 August 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mentally, I had no hallelujah moment. My slow and steady upward climb could be Wellbutrin and/or therapy. I began with 150 XL, moved up to 300 XL, began developing rashes, and so I moved back down to 150 XL. Within a month of taking 150 XL, I had transient weird and sharp pains in my right thumb. It was located just under the thumbnail, in the "corner" closest to the palm and the rest of the fingers. It started slowly, and got much worse. It hurt in the morning, after eating, after exercising, and when I was cold (or too hot). I had several MRIs, tumor diagnoses, and surgeries which did not fix the sometimes crippling pain. I stopped taking Wellbutrin recently and the pain has already subsided substantially. The more you know."

SuzieCue August 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"BRAND NAME! I have been on this medication for a little over two weeks. I started off with generic 150mg xl to 300 mg xl after a week. My insurance covers the generic for $5 but I've heard awful stories about it and ordered the brand name via the Internet for $50. Huge difference! I don't have the anxiety I had on generic, clammy hands constantly, fear, and it really didn't do much. The name brand is energetic, calming, focused, more self motivated and leads away from negative behaviors. This is my first day on name brand and I was compelled to tell my story and the difference. You can get the name brand through the Wellbutrin guarantee prescription online. Rated 9 because I am fully alert and still awake."

Purplerain1983 (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started this med on June 2nd 2015 with 75mg no difference a month later, I am up to 150mg no difference scrappy mood no desire to do anything. I drag my self out of bed every morning I am now on 300mg a month later hopefully some miracle would happen I am going to give another month with the 300mg dose, if there is no change, I am trying some thing else. I am so sick of this drugs that take weeks to work and then no result so you have to try something else. I'll keep you posted. By the he way today July 26 is my 3rd day on 300mg. Wish me luck"

ramee2004 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 150 for 3 weeks. It's been up and down but overall up. I'm bipolar and have rage issues so I was very worried about that but it has actually been less of an issue than with other antidepressants I've been on (Celexa, Lexapro) and tried unsuccessfully (Cymbalta, Prozac, Latuda). Also, I tried the generic non XL a few years ago and it did throw me into a blind range. I was a little prone to "upsetness" like sensitivity that I would then lash out in anger, but not rage, for the first two weeks. Had some anxiety issues but those have dispersed. Otherwise, libido is normal again after Lexapro and now getting motivated to get out of bed to eat or go to work or shower is like picking up a 1 lb weight instead of a 20 lb weight. 25yoF"

JennyG476 July 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff has worked great for me. No side effects other than first 6-8 weeks needed time to adjust. Give it a full 8 weeks to kick and like you may have restored that dopamine and be back you your old self. I took this in conjunction with 25mg DHEA/day, which I also think is an awesome OTC supplement, especially for seniors (which I do not consider myself!) 59 years old."

MikeinCA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication a few times now. Gone off of it for several different reasons but nothing relevant to the medication itself. I've been on it for the third time 2 or 3 months now. I love it! I always have. It manages my depression, actually manages my anxiety and panic attacks, makes me feel content, keeps me awake during the day, has increased my sex drive and is just a wonderful medication. Works different for everyone. If you're scared to start it because of the reviews, don't be. I strongly encourage you to at least give it a try."

CreativeSpiderling (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on depression meds for many years, specifically Celexa 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150, Lamictal (brand name) 150mg for bipolar disorder. Lately feeling like I cry easily, got agitated easily and stressed out if trying to do too many things at once. If someone upset me it would take days to come out of the dark cloud of depression/sadness. Finally went back to my doc a week ago and he upped my Wellbutrin XL to 300mg. I feel great but only negative is that it is keeping me from sleeping through the night, only on day 5. Doc said to take it early in the morning like 7 am since later can keep you up. Feel less distracted, more focused but still a little "edgy"/anxious & hope that will get better."

Nannydoglover June 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was afraid to take Wellbutrin at first but my anxiety and emotions were out of control so I decided to give it a try. This is my first antidepressant med and on day one I notice a feeling of calmness. I had no emotional upsets. Now I am on day 4 and I haven't cried at all. I sometimes find myself dazing off in space though with nothing on my mind. I sleep through the night and my appetite is back. I drink plenty water throughout the day. I went to get a pedicure and my legs were shaky for some reason. But overall so far so good I feel a lot better and looking forward to brighter days!!!"

Anna82 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Others have warned abut this but DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY ISSUES. I took this for two weeks at 150mg. First week was fine, felt blunted emotionally a bit which was not necessarily a bad thing. Around day 11 I started having bad anxiety about 10 hours after dosage and I felt sore and worn out. It was unbearable, I did this for 3 days more before quitting. I contacted my Dr who said I did the right thing. THEN I was emotionally in pain for a few days and weeping about every hour. I felt raw, like I had not skin to protect me. They say wellbutrin is easy to drop well I don't know...it might be because of my anxiety but I feel a lot worse now then I did before taking it."

Ariel M. June 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Wellbutrin for 6 months now for anxiety and depression and I feel AMAZING.... I've lost 30lbs and still losing. Not through any actual work on my part. I just find that I'm not as hungry. I'm full of energy every morning and it last all day. I've also noticed an insane increase in Libido and I've easily kicked some bad habits without really trying..... Like biting my nails.... Just doesn't happen anymore. I also don't have any desire for alcohol or cigarettes. For once in my life since starting this long road of anti-depressants, I FINALLY feel like this is the one for me. The only negative side effects I have noticed is my chest/neck stays flush and I really do have to remind myself to eat."

AunnieD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update: checking in on week 5 at 300mg of generic XL made by Par Pharmacuticals. I can't say enough positive things about this medicine. I have had practically no bad side effects except a slightly more noticible 'ringing' in my ears. It is not bothersome and I only notice it it complete silence. On the plus side is virtually a new outlook on life, absence of any sad or hopeless feelings, reduced anxiety, tons of all day energy, focus, and enthusiasm, increased libido, desired weight loss and a shift in personality. I feel like I did when I was younger and full of hope, plans, and happy to greet the day. My jobs are more fulfilling, relationships improved, confidence restored. People notice! I had no idea I was that depressed. Amazing!"

Vinylfind (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all I am a 21 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago, and I felt a difference within about 2 weeks, and full effect at almost 4 weeks. It was great for a while but it increased my anxiety a lot where I'm not doing the things I used to enjoy, it did help with my depression and energy a ton though and I've gotten more done since I've been on the medication then I have in the last 6 months combined. But to me it isnt worth it, I was on Celexa 8 months ago, and it worked fine..but it made me pretty zombie like. On this medication I feel like theres an elephant sitting on my chest I cant even take my daughters for their after dinner walk because I have such shortness of breath. I am going to ask my doctor for a diff med!"

victoria.2305 May 11, 2015